Sleepy Hollow Exclusive: Ichabod's Clothes Are Finally Coming Off — But There's a Twist!

Sleepy Hollow Season 1Sleepy Hollow is taking Ichabod Crane to the cleaners — literally.

Executive producer Alex Kurtzman tells TVLine exclusively that the character will shed his trademark — and likely odorous — period garb before the end of the season (albeit temporarily).

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What Will Be Renewed? What’s on the Bubble?

“Ichabod’s clothes are his security blanket, his tie to the past,” Kurtzman says. “That being said, he will soon discover the joys of dry cleaning and the grave injustice of the bill that accompanies it.”

This will mark the first major scrubbing Ichabod’s duds have received since he was transported 200 years into the future (in Episode 2, he gave them a very light washing).

It’s not clear what Tom Mison’s Bloomingdales-averse alter ego will wear while his duds are being professionally treated, so feel free to let your imaginations run wild in the comments (my guess: tighty whities). And while you’re down there, tackle this divisive question: Do you think Ich should at some point update his wardrobe? Or are you of the opinion that the (circa-1700) clothes make the man?

1. lovemunkey187 says:

I’d like them to do a scene similar to Ramirez in the tailors in Highlander 2.

Putting him in Tweeds or traditional Gamekeepers clothes would be in keeping, but would also mean that he can have the knee/riding boots.

2. Jeanne says:

I wouldn’t mind Ichabod getting a new line of clothing, as long as he’s able to maintain his sense of style. I can’t picture him in, say, khaki shorts and flip-flops. I’d love to see him trying to find clothes to suit his tastes, especially if Abby has to take him to the mall / store and give Opinions.

3. Cat says:

Keep the clothes! And NEVER cut the hair!!! The clothes are a part of his persona. They go with his 18th century point of view. I can see a new shirt and some jeans but the coat and boots are a must! In other words….if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it!!!

4. Celeste says:

Hmmm, a scenario, his clothing catches fire, destroying a portion, putting him in a dilemma resulting in a quest for clothing to suit him. Maybe the duo finds a mysterious trunk abandoned at a train or bus station. Maybe Ichabod has an encounter in an airport setting and some unclaimed luggage with suitable pseudo period clothing iwithin. It’s make believe. Anything is possible.

5. LPala says:

Circa 1700s makes the man!

6. saad says:

change we need because every body is confused with his personality and can ask so many question at sleepy hollow which he is trying to hide !!! new look will make him look normal to other people and can get a new life at sleepy hollow !!!

7. Ra says:

Love this show….love it. I can completely suspend reality and go along for the ride on everything. Except for how he dresses. I can’t get past it. After the 3rd episode it just started bothering me, lol. By now….someone….anyone would have started to mock him. And while that could make for some comedy gold, I’m ready for Ich to update.
    But don’t touch the hair or we’re gonna have serious problems.

8. Tony Salzman says:

I feel the clothes make the character of ichabod and the reverance should be kept but a variety of that style clothing should be implemented

9. Fan says:

Maybe Crane will find a Goodwill or costume store that sells period pieces. Good to know he is getting new clothes but kinda dont want to see him in modern clothing. I like that he is eccentric.

10. sarah says:

He wouldn’t look right in modern clothes…I think it would be funny to see his reaction to the change but, I definitely think that he should stay in the circa (1700) attire. Clean of course. ;-)

11. Vicki says:

He needs to clean the duds, but still wear them every so often. That is what makes his character. Keep the long hair and aged rugged looks. Yes, A shot in “tighty whities” would be a treat.

12. Lily Daniels says:

i think he can/ should do both..keep the style updated to 21 st century. country style, maybe? every thing should Fit well like it does now.

13. Jannice says:

Please keep the high collar coat and ponytail. There’s just something spectacular about that vintage look.

14. Elle says:

I too am of the opinion that mr. Crane should stay true to his times. How else will we be able to spot him in the crowd? Dress him in clothes that are reminiscent of his own time like a very stylish detective.

15. Jannice Graham says:

The clothes truly make the man. Did I forget to mention he’s a very attractive man?! LOL!!!

16. I am really attracted to the clothes….but…DON’T CUT THE HAIR!!!!

17. I think the clothes are as much a part of the character as his accent and the way he pronounces Lieutenant. Change them and the the character would lose something.

18. He’d look good in jeans…his boots…with long sleeve period style shirts with his hair tied back. ♥ Yummy!!! Change up the shirts….:)

19. jeffyork says:

He would have no idea what tighty-whiteys are. They wore more of a type of one piece union suit. I would say Abby or someone will put him in some jeans. Maybe that will get him started on a partially new wardrobe.

• meem says:

We saw him in his vintage undies in the second episode–while he was washing his clothes. And they established that he washed the clothes no doubt to try and stave off people’s annoying obsession with the clothes. Clearly didn’t work!

20. Dawson says:

Ichabod Crane just would not look right for the part if you change his wardrobe. Would keep his clothes although update them true to his part and style..

21. Catherine says:

18th century folks were very frugal in a common sense way. As for what he may have on under those clothes…likely nothing but skin, so there’s a nice thought! He should keep his 18th century style as it is a link to his past, his wife and his world and it would be very disappointing to see him throw that away for the very “un-Ichabodian” like trait of shallow concerns about fashion! Just give him a Jas. Townsend catalog and let him do some shopping for some fresh 18th century threads!

22. dudley says:

The only new clothes should be from the from the same time period of the Revolutionary War. Shirts & vests from that era would work. Must stay with his real time period.

The long hair & beard should also stay. You have a good series here, don’t mess it up please!

23. Ani says:

First thank you for a terrific show! Great writing. And terrific Chemistry between leads. I like his period piece wardrobe. Although it is obvious he’s not from the current time. So leave his clothes, hair and beard alone. Please. Thank you.

24. Peola says:

He should try some current clothes temporarily and then go back to his regular clothes when he discovers he’s not comfortable with them. Either that or decide to live in the present and become an official consultant

25. Diane says:

Well I can’t see him in tighty whities, but the first image that popped into my head was that of him walking around the cabin (after a shower or bath) in his boots and a towel wrapped around his waist. I love his clothes. It a reminder that the men in those days were very chivalrous. He is very chivalrous and sexy. What a combination.

26. Just the thought of Ichabod changing his wardrobe is hilarious. I have a feeling Abbie will take him shopping, or (and I laugh more at this) Luke – the two men have this head-butting jealously towards one another, mainly from Luke’s point of view. I imagine jeans in the near future

27. Jen says:

I like his period clothing, should stick with it. Although he would undoubtedly look very fine in some clean Levi’s.

28. michaela says:

Please update his clothes he’s sexy whatever he has on but sexier in today clothes.

29. I definitely think he should get new clothes at some point. I think if they put their heads together, they could come up with some sort of wardrobe for Ichabod that is modern (and clean lol) and yet hearkens back to his eighteenth century roots. And of course he should keep his hair long. :)

30. Judy says:

lmao! Tighty whities…. that would be funny. Seriously though, I don’t think his look should change to much. I like his clothes, they make the man in my own personal opinion. They just…. suit him as a character. After all, back then people didn’t change their clothes nearly as often as we do now. Bathed less then that really. So, I think a little moderning up is in order. Maybe a tunic like shirt that sits similar to the shirt he wears now and some pants that have a similar fit to the ones he has now. Boots and a trench coat. My own personal opinion of course. To each their own. I’m just waiting impatiently for the next episode. lmao And ps…. no hair cut please?! I love the look and it suits him. The end. lol

31. Ryk Iytean says:

I think the period clothing as a “security blanket” is a nice touch..also he would still have the sensibilities of a gentleman/soldier from the 1700’s. I think a reasonable compromise would be for him to acquire some “changes” of clothing from those that cater to reenactment groups.
    If you put him in modern clothing, much of what makes him unique will be lost.

32. Alice says:

The only modern coat I will accept is a peacoat. He’d look hot wearing a navy blue one

33. sydneydeb says:

I have to agree with everyone else, don’t cut the hair and I love the old fashioned clothes but yep he needs some new ones. I’d love to see Abby taking him shopping LOL that would be a riot. Can you see her handing him a packet of briefs, he’d die of embarrassment :) My favourite show on TV and Ichabod is smoking hot.

34. Kimberly C. says:

Even though his period clothing suits him and keeps who he truly is intact, it’d DEFINITELY be interesting to see him in modern clothing! But his original clothing should still at least be brought back constantly.
    Either way, they better keep his hair the way it is!

35. jan says:

Ichabod is a man from 200 years ago. Please don’t modernize his clothing. It would take so much away from the storylines and the character. And please, don’t ever cut his hair.

36. Dorann says:

I honestly love the 1700’s look, especially how Ichabod Crane wears them as a safety blanket. I say keep the style outfits.

37. I think you should keep Ichabod in his circa-1700 clothes. I believe it makes the man. Although I do believe his wardrobe should be extended so he can have a variety of outfits from the same era.

38. Marie says:

Don’t you dare touch those clothes except to clean them. It’s what makes Crane who he is for the show. Don’t you dare go near him with scissors either! At least NOT right now…. Jeans maybe later on down the road but certainly with the same boots and same shirt similar to what he’s wearing along with his coat. But keep the theme because that’s Crane for the era he came from or you’ll ruin the story line people!!!!

39. Raven says:

I just want to see Icabod’s reaction to wearing skinny jeans “do men in this century not want to have children?” lol
    But I like his look, so I’d be okay if he keeps he current garb. Or maybe a nice dress shirt and jeans (not skinny)

40. W. J. says:

Keep the signature coat — à la Sherlock. As for the rest . . . time to go!

41. deb says:

That is just nasty and unsanitary. Throw those stinking clothes away! Pew! There are too many ways to get period clothing as stated here. Oh man the smell when he take those boots off can you imagine… Aw being in a grave for 250 years.
    Why is no one commenting on this?

42. Angel says:

I think his style is part of what makes him so attractive. I’m all for clean clothes, but he should keep generally the same style. I don’t want to know what 200 year old underwear looks like, so some modern tightie whities while his stuff is dry cleaning would be superb! ;)

• Jenn says:

I believe they were similar to white boxers and tank top style undershirt, although they were considerably looser on the body.

43. Jamie says:

He needs to keep the period clothes…would not be him wothout them

44. Alicia says:

There is always a twist. lol I always wondered when they would come of. :’D However, the old fashioned look suits him well he could take them them to a dry cleaner and get them washed and and hoping they wont become destroyed because they are years old somehow preserve them. He could keep them stashed away and preserved but update his clothing to the current year whilst still keeping to a vintage old fashioned flair. His hair and beard should stay. Yes.

45. Lear says:

not for nothing, there are updated versions of his military clothes in the stores right now!

46. Sophie says:

He should keep the coat and the hair, but def update the rest of his wardrobe.

47. Jenn says:

I think that he may actually HAVE TO get new clothes after the dry cleaner. Considering the age of the garments and what they have been through who knows how they will react to chemicals used??

48. Karen Harbin says:

I love how he looks. Please keep him in his coat and boots. Leave hair alone too! We love him just as he is.

49. Conri says:

why would he ever want to get rid of them? and why would the show? it’s what makes Ichabod, well, Ichabod and not someone or ANYONE else in the show. And as was stated previously, it’s his security blanket in a world gone topsy turvey on him. A person with OCD just doesn’t give up one of their compulsions. A person with autismn doesn’t either. I just took that down a really wierd turn, but when you’re attached to something, you’re attached. I don’t see him letting go of those duds, and I wouldn’t want him to anyway, they are super duper dapper.

50. liz says:

I’m okay with him changing clothes, they just have to keep the large coat. It’s like Spike’s leather duster in Buffy – so iconic to the character. They can play with the rest, but keep the coat….and the long hair.