Sleepy Hollow Exclusive: Ichabod's Clothes Are Finally Coming Off — But There's a Twist!

Sleepy Hollow Season 1Sleepy Hollow is taking Ichabod Crane to the cleaners — literally.

Executive producer Alex Kurtzman tells TVLine exclusively that the character will shed his trademark — and likely odorous — period garb before the end of the season (albeit temporarily).

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What Will Be Renewed? What’s on the Bubble?

“Ichabod’s clothes are his security blanket, his tie to the past,” Kurtzman says. “That being said, he will soon discover the joys of dry cleaning and the grave injustice of the bill that accompanies it.”

This will mark the first major scrubbing Ichabod’s duds have received since he was transported 200 years into the future (in Episode 2, he gave them a very light washing).

It’s not clear what Tom Mison’s Bloomingdales-averse alter ego will wear while his duds are being professionally treated, so feel free to let your imaginations run wild in the comments (my guess: tighty whities). And while you’re down there, tackle this divisive question: Do you think Ich should at some point update his wardrobe? Or are you of the opinion that the (circa-1700) clothes make the man?

1. Babybop says:

It’s really weird that you said your guess what Tighty-Whities… Because that was exactly what I was thinking… Ha ha.

I’m all for him getting new clothes! Just keep the long hair.

• pd says:

I think he definitely should wash them up but don’t update them it is his safety blanket. love him just the way he is. <3

2. Cate Amos says:

He needs to keep the coat and the boots. The clothes, like written, are his security blanket and I don’t think he should cast them aside just for the sake of fashion. Of course, I think he’d be smokin’ hot no matter what he was wearing.

3. Shaun Daily says:

There must be somewhere in Sleepy Hollow, a place that sells vintage clothing? Crane can maintain his period clothing by wearing different clothes of that era.. Or close to it.

• Alichat says:

I don’t think a vintage clothing store would have something fitting. I was thinking more along the lines of a tailor who makes clothing for reenactments. That perhaps they will purchase a few items for him to extend his wardrobe. I like that he’s in the period clothing since it is a security blanket of sorts. If they eventually update his clothing, he needs to keep the coat and boots.

• JLK says:

That’s what I’ve been hoping for too. I like the period clothes…I just wish he had a little variety.

• I have been making reenactment clothing for 18 years, I would love to make him a new set of clothes.

• I so agree. It would loose something if he were to update the look. If updated at least keep the coat and boots, and similur clothes.

• CinnamonJacks says:

All of this!I want him to have a whole wardrobe of clothes from his time period.I think Abbie’s the type of person that would take into consideration that his clothes provide a sort of security for him,so she’ll think of buying him reenactment/vintage clothes.It’d be pretty hilarious to have them online shopping and her taking his measurements to get fitted clothing.*-* Also I’m definitely of the notion that he should never lose the beard and long hair.

• Geraldine Frost says:

That ‘s my thought too. The period clothes suit him perfectly and are his link to the past. He has been overwhelmed with so much since awakening in 21st century Sleepy Hollow. His clothes are the only tangible thing he has of his previous life and I think in away it helps him cope with his new circumstances.

4. Jenn says:

I think they should eventually update him to current fashion… With a twist. There are many trends that are popular that take inspiration from period pieces (I believe revolutionary period had a trend not to far back). It’d be great to update his look, but when he goes out shopping he is drawn to present fashion (because it is what is available/what Abby says he has to get to fit in better), but is drawn to the clothing that takes inspiration from his time period. Abby caves and compromises.

Catch him up with the present while still letting him hold somewhat into the past.

• Ives says:

I second this. It’s easy to dress modern but look periodic. Wearing the same thing for too long is a little ridiculous, but a strong wardrobe dept would know how to match him with sets that suit his character and don’t take away from the period man!

Also DON’T EVER CUT THE HAIR!!!!!!! THAT would be going too far.

• Aliza Bixby says:

I agree completely! Leave him the jacket but get him some cool jeans and nice shirt.

• Nonnaru says:

With all the different stuff that people wear now-a-days, his duds do not look so out of place to me.
      But I agree with those who say …keep the coat and the boots.

• Annie says:

I agree completely…. his clothes do not look out of date with all the different ways people dress today- I think he would look totally ‘out of it’ if you dressed him in really modern clothes. Find him more clothes that are similar to his so that he can stay clean.

5. kat says:

I love the period garb but I wouldn’t mind seeing him in more modern clothes, because there are a lot of styles of modern clothes including some that would have a bit of a period flare. Maybe Abbie can give him some as a present. Or something.

But I’m happy with him staying in period clothes too. It’s not a huge issue for me as long as he doesn’t cut his hair and start walking around in polo shirts or something.

6. aplwrites says:

He can go to modern cloths, but he needs to keep the coat

7. wrstlgirl says:

Those clothes are a part of the character. They can’t do away with them completely.

8. Metallicangel1 says:

@babybop ITA about his hair. Sadly, it is a wig, so I’ll keep the wig and beard. As for his clothes, it’s winter let him keep the coat & boots. His clothes also match his manners. Can’t see a man bowing to a woman in a pair of skinny jeans.

• uh huh says:

Now that he knows he’ll be doing a second season, I wonder if Mison will grow his own hair out. He could get an extra 90 minutes of sleep in the morning if he didn’t have to show up in time to have that wig put on!

• JLK says:

On the other hand, he might prefer the small degree of anonymity that the wig provides. He takes it off and he looks a bit different and might not get harassed in public quite so much.

• That’s actually the disappointing part. As “himself”, Mison ain’t nearly as sexy.

• Stormy says:

Not unlike Colin O’Donoghue who plays Hook on OUAT. With the leathers and guyliner, he’s hot. Without them, he’s kind of a mutt.

• meem says:

When I look at him as himself, I think “cute.” when I look at him as Ichabod Crane, I think something not nearly as chaste.

• meem says:

Yeah, but in Wilmington, North Carolina where the show is shot, I’d think he pretty much outs himself the second he speaks! (I saw an interview he did wherein he gave the name of his favorite restaurant in Wilmington. I immediately thought “Oh, rookie mistake, Mison. You can never go there again if you want to be left alone.”)

9. as a whovian i have three words:
    Captain Jack Harkness
    he wasn’t even from WWII but he wears the uniform & it has helped make his character a beloved icon. think Indiana Jones with his Hat & whip, etc..

i say let him keep the clothes

• Andrea says:

I could not agree more! Love Captain Jack Harkness and his coat.

• Stephanie says:

He needs to keep the overall look of the period he is from but a different set of clothes would be ok. Never, ever, cut his hair!

• Tiffany says:

I agree that he should keep his overall look and that he needs another set of clothes. He’s wearing the same exact thing every day. They gotta be soooo dirty and nasty. Imagine him washing his undies in the sink I kinda how he does it naked? Is that bad? They could take him to a tailor and just have them make copies of the same clothing that he’s currently wearing, but maybe in a variety of colors?

• Julianne says:

got to agree with you there my fellow Whovian
      Captain Jack’s coat makes him who he is
      I’m with you in letting Ichabod keep his cloths or at least his coat

10. J says:

I could picture him in a modern outfit with the same kind of pieces…long coat, high boots.

11. Guest says:

Can I put in my vote for no clothes?!?!

12. Maggie says:

We need to keep him in period clothes, that don’t mean the same suit. As was stated previously, I am sure with vintage stores, he could find something that resembles his period. Yes the clothes do make the man and they are important to the character. I just can’t picture him in the fashions of today; I fear the character would lose something. Maybe, a seamstress could recreate his ensemble, which works for me.

• Stormy says:

He could fill a closet with new clothes just by selling one button off of his original coat. Then buy a faithful copy of his uniform from a reenacters supply catalog.

• Ah, now that’s what I CALL thinking! He could wear whatever floats his boat any particular day. He might find that going “incognito” – i.e., modern clothes – makes some things easier, like hitting the 7-11 for a hot dog, and still be ready for action in his snazzy new uniforms.

13. Karen says:

I like his clothes, but good god…he was buried in them! Wouldn’t the bugs be eating them? He looks great in the boots & jacket & ponytail as everyone says, so we need to find a way to keep them. But maybe ol Ich would like the feel of a pair of Levi’s ! Ha

• uh huh says:

Wouldn’t bugs have been eating HIM after 200 years?!??! If the spell kept his body preserved all that time, why is it so hard to surmise that it would have kept his clothing preserved, too?

14. Alyssa says:

Update that wardrobe already!

And he can wear pieces similar to his coat and boots… they do exist.

• uh huh says:

No no no no no. Those clothes are Crane’s “big stinkin’ security blanket” (Tom Mison’s exact words). They stay.

15. I hope that they update his clothes with styles similar to his colonial duds and whatever they do, they have to keep him sexy. I can’t wait until he comes in contact with his first zipper, though. LOL ;-)

16. Terri says:

Please no skinny jeans..don’t do that to him. I love his clothes…but he just needs more selection is all. Let them go back to the house where Katrina spoke with Abbie and magically find a trunk of his clothes. Please let him keep the boots! I jsut think the show will lose some of it’s magic if Crane changes to look like everyone else. He is a “character” and a character he should stay. But he does need to find a few more things. In a show like this that certainly is not impossible.Please do not put him in skinny jeans and a button down. i can’t take it.

17. alistaircrane says:

I like his period outfit and he should continue to wear it. The character wouldn’t be the same if he dressed in modern clothes.

18. Catie says:

I like his old style clothes. I don’t want him to get new ones.

19. prish says:

The husband wants to know, does he want to be considered one of the Paul Revere and the Raiders? We’re big fans, but the husband always quips about his needing contemporary clothing. Me? I think stomping around in the same costume would make him look odd. He needs to lose a few pieces.

20. Sarah says:

I’m in the boat of keep the hair, coat and boots in the very least. I could understand him wearing other pants and shirts but the coat most of all HAS to stay. And the hair. Tom IS Ichabod with the hair.

21. zaza says:

His cover story is that he is supposed to be a modern day professor from Oxford who is consulting with the PD. So for the sake of his cover, it would make sense for him to wear more modern clothing. But I would like to see him choose clothes that still speak to that sense of elegance his vintage clothes have. I have always wondered why his clothes hadn’t disinigrated over the 200 years of being buried in the earth.

22. Em says:

I love the period clothes!

23. Shaune says:

I say that they should let him keep his style, but just reinforce his old clothes. Atleast helping him get several full suits of his old style clothing. And yes he should keep his boots and hairstyle, and the jacket.

24. Mo says:

I love his period look, but I sort of feel like as the character becomes more comfortable in this time period, his clothing should change to reflect that. Not all at once (although I do think that would work for the dry cleaning episode) but just adding a piece or two at a time, and letting him swap things around so he still has that security blanket of his familiar clothes.

• I agree! Just mix things up a little without changing his iconic look. Keep the boots, coat (or something similar), and the hair and add in some suitable shirts and pants even jeans – nothing trendy like skinny or droopy-ass, though. His unique look is part of his charm and we don’t want to lose that.

25. Joey says:

Keep the style but ditch the clothes. He communicates with his dead wife, I don’t think he needs a filthy shirt as a security blanket.

26. Beth Milstein says:

Just DON’T cut his hair!!

• Katherine McNeill says:

Yes, it is essential that he keep his long hair!!! He is gorgeous with long hair, and he is, after all, an 18th century man. I love his elegant speech and excellent use of vocabulary. He is great!

27. I think the old clothes should stay. Otherwise what’s the point? Ichabod will become modernized? No thank you.

28. FreeRyde says:

I never thought any less of the Highlander.

29. Sara says:

I think he should definitely keep the jacket. That’s a must. Get him a new shirt and pants though. Something simple.

30. scarlett says:

Keep the clothes. Give him a guitar. He will fit right in.

31. M says:

Put him in a tweed three piece suit. If only for the sheer joy and resulting aneurysm that it will cause in my brain.

32. Aimee says:

Update his clothes but keep the boots and coat. That will allow him to fit in better in the modern day and also stay close to his period look. They will have to eventually. I mean, he keeps talking about a seven year journey. He can’t ware the exact same outfit for seven years!!

33. Travelover says:

If we “modernize” Ichabod he becomes like the rest of us. Leave him be! Surely they can find “period” clothes as a change for him that will make him feel “comfortable” and secure in his own identity. Don’t forget, Ben Cartwright and his sons on Bonanza wore the same clothes for 20 years.

34. Keep the coat with some nice fitting jeans….

35. Fancy says:

Keep the coat and boots. Don’t update his style dramatically, that wouldn’t seem like the character. Do moderate changes, slowly. He has to get used to it, right? Seeing Crane in skinny jeans and a wife beater would kill me. Keep it professional and mature, like him.
    Whatever you do, DO NOT TOUCH HIS HAIR.
    The hair stays long!

36. Teresa says:

No don’t change him up to much plz! I love his look and his hair.Maybe just keep him in that period of clothing.

37. Hmmm, I’m really torn on this one. I LOVE his period clothing for many reasons but poet shirts never really go out of fashion do they? ;) Please don’t give him a modern haircut! A ponytail, poet shirt and boots will make me happy. Of course that will be foreign to him because I’m sure it wouldn’t be appropriate for him to go about in public without his coat. He is a military man, after all.

38. Trish Castro says:

Oh please say he’ll be in jeans and a white tshirt! :))

39. Kath says:

That is so funny because I was just thinking about that during the last show! Like how long is he going to wear that same outfit??! LOL

40. Jared Orton says:

Don’t mess with the duds, unless they are a modernized version of his period outfit. I’m sure he’d like to keep some semblance of his security blanket and identity.

41. kim says:

Keep his coat and boots! He can go to a tailor and have new, old timey clothes sewn. Same with boots.

42. G. A. Hauser says:

don’t cut his hair! love his look, keep the boots and coat- its charming…

43. I think he could find very similar clothes in the stores right now.

44. Kay says:

I’m definitely taken with this Mr Crane.Is it his clothes? his speech? his looks?..of course it’s all of them! don’t change anything keep him in period clothing its what made us love him in the beginning. It would be nice to see Abbie in period clothing, how bout an episode where she can dress up?

45. Tina says:

His style can be updated a bit. He’s got to keep the coat, the boots and his hair. MUST NOT CUT THE HAIR!!!! I love some of the other comments about getting him some custom clothes or vintage looks that have been inspired by the period. He wouldn’t look unusual because this would be his style. He doesn’t need that many clothes either. Most people really don’t. We’ve just been programmed that we do. A few different shirts and pants and some sweaters that would be consistent of the era and he’d be all set.

46. Betz Kimble says:

Modern clothes? Like Bierbers loaded diaper look or the ones that the crotch hangs past the knees? No Thanks- I’d rather he keep his smelly 200 year old clothes. Maybe Abby can take him to a Museum and he can trade the smelly ones for clean ones ( off a manikin) .But most definitely let him his long hair & mustache.

47. If they cut his hair I will CRY. As for the coat and boots, those are totally in style right now, let’s keep them; he can wear different shirts and pants.

48. Liz Reeder says:

Oh, what I wouldn’t give to see that man in a pair of jeans.

49. Daxx says:

Oh, he must keep the coat and boots!