The Voice Recap: You Wanna Critique Me! What Rhymes With 'Critique Me'? [Updated]

Nic Hawk The Voice - Season 5We’ve now reached that awkward phase in The Voice‘s trajectory where the coaches’ feedback is like a shot of novocaine — numbing in its bland positivity, but always with a painful little jab of knowing you’re not getting to hear their whole truth (and sometimes anything close to the truth, for that matter).

Things got so ridiculous during Night 1 of the Season 5 Live Playoffs, in fact, that Nic Hawk, coming off a performance of Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines” that was the culinary equivalent of smashing a dozen eggs with the back of a frying pan, ended up being the only person to admit “the vocals could’ve been better.” (Yeah, yeah, Coach Blake actually reported that info after chatting with Nic on the commercial break, but still…)

RELATED | Ranking The Voice Top 20 Heading Into the Live Playoffs

And that wasn’t the only glaring example of The Voice being so aggressively upbeat that you could use an episode of Barney & Friends to come down off the sugar high. When Xtina referenced “that note” during her critique of Will Champlin, you could practically see him wince with agreement — until she suddenly shifted gears and praised his badly botched run. Likewise, uni-monikered Grey looked utterly befuddled at the end of her unfortunate Paramore cover, as Blake took his long-winded critique over the river, through the woods and down to grandmother’s house for a shot of Wild Turkey.

RELATED | Quotes of the Week: Best Zingers From Revenge, The Crazy Ones, Castle, Parenthood and More!

But hey, on the plus side, mostly everybody from Team Blake and Team Adam proved pretty solid, if not entirely spectacular. (Odd, though, that Blake had four of the night’s first five performance slots, no?) Either way, if you’re jonesin’ for some bitchy realness, let me give you my quick take on the proceedings:

TEAM BLAKE
MORTAL LOCK TO ADVANCE
Ray Boudreaux: Marc Broussard’s “Home” — Grade: A- | Once I got over my obsession with the song’s awesome bass line, I really started digging Ray’s sweet, syncopated second verse, and the way he built the intensity from the easygoing intro to a growling climax. Blake’s rehearsal prediction — that this would be the “performance of the night” — came true (at least among the Team Blake acts). Dude is so through to the Top 12 — and he didn’t even need a cameo from his adorable daughter to get there!

ALMOST DEFINITELY GOING HOME
Nic Hawk: Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines” — Grade: D- | Nic’s a nice boy/ But I don’t want it/ And you don’t want it/ No, Blake don’t want it/ Nic’s a fun guy/ But his voice sounded knackered/ Notes got all splattered/ Now his Voice dreams are tattered…Hey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey!

COULD GO EITHER WAY, BASED ON CURRENT BUZZ + TONIGHT’S PERFORMANCE
Shelbie Z: Reba McEntire/Bobby Gentry’s “Fancy” — Grade: B+ | The verses were pitched just a centimeter too low for Shelbie, but she brought a great sense of timing and fire to the choruses. Alas, though, you never really want to go first in a 10-person lineup. That, plus Blake already having a blonde country protege on the charts in Danielle Bradbery, might mean Shelbie goes home before her time. But if she does, at least she got to sing the priceless line “I shivered as a roach crawled across the toe of my high-heeled shoe” on national television.

Austin Jenckes: The Black Crowes’ “She Talks to Angels” — Grade: B | Austin’s cover started strongly — if you closed your eyes and ignored his incessant grinning during a song about a woman’s drug addiction. And while I wish at least one coach had observed that things got a little rushed and flat in the final third, I wouldn’t be shocked if the dude ranks second or third among voters on Team Blake anyway.

Cole Vosbury: Rod Stewart’s “Maggie May” — Grade: B- | Wait, I thought Cole said he wanted to make his rendition different from the original. So how come the arrangement was pretty much a carbon copy of Rod’s? I mean, I’m not saying it was a bad carbon copy, but still…

TEAM ADAM
MORTAL LOCK TO ADVANCE
Preston Pohl: B.O.B.’s “Nothin’ on You” — Grade: A | Apparently, a good chunk of TVLine readers disagree, but nevertheless I’ve got to be 100 percent honest (while wrapping myself in tin foil — with some butter, garlic and rosemary — for the inevitable roasting I’m gonna get): I absolutely loved Preston tonight. (And I say this as someone who only ranked his “Electric Feel” behind Juhi, Monika Leigh and George Horga in his Blind Audition episode!) To my ears, Preston really captured the groove of the song perfectly, while managing to infuse the rap portions with an electric feel (see what I did there?) courtesy of his smokey-cool rasp. As Blake put it, “the pocket, the pitch, the passion.” I couldn’t agree more!

Tessanne Chin: Jimmy Cliff’s “Many Rivers to Cross” — Grade: B+ | Again, I cannot tell a lie: Tessanne’s vocal tonight was one of those weird instances where I’m impressed more than I’m moved, where I admire more than I feel. Don’t get me wrong: The woman has range for weeks, never misses a note and could probably recharge every cellphone in a city block with her vocal power. But there was something that felt a little perfunctory in the delivery, like the struggles in the song’s lyrics were something she’d read about in a book rather than experienced firsthand. Which isn’t to say she doesn’t totally belong in the Top 12 — I just want to see her get more creative with her choices once she gets there.

ALMOST DEFINITELY GOING HOME
Grey: Paramore’s “Still into You” — Grade: C- | I think Grey may have been so focused on Adam’s notes about projecting rock-star swagger that she forgot that it was her primary duty to actually sing in tune (which, prior to today, has never been her issue). The more Grey worked the stage, the more strained her voice became, leading to an almost desperate vibe where you could sense the singer feeling her dream of music stardom slipping from her hands — right in front of 15 million people. The overall effect had me feeling a little, well, y’know, grey. (Sorry.)

COULD GO EITHER WAY, BASED ON CURRENT BUZZ + TONIGHT’S PERFORMANCE
Will Champlin: One Republic’s “Secrets” — Grade: C+ | I’d ranked Will in my Top 3 Season 5 Knockout performances, so it came as a shock to hear his nerves take ownership of the opening verse of “Secrets,” a situation that rattled his pitch like a loose car muffler. Even more troublesome, though, was Adam’s advice to have Will get up from the keyboard, walk away, go back to it, play standing up, try to reattach his mic, sit back down, and resume playing. Why not just let the dude stay fixed on the bench and accompany himself? Sheesh. There were flashes of brilliance interspersed in the performance, of course, which will make it all the more heartbreaking if Will doesn’t survive into next week. In fact, the question comes down to James-or-Will again, it’ll be interesting to see if Mr. Levine shifts allegiances, no?

James Wolpert: Joni Mitchell’s “A Case of You” — Grade: B+ | The judges seemed especially enthusiastic about James tonight, and maybe that’s because the final third of his Joni Mitchell cover packed a punch worthy of Sydney Bristow. (If you don’t know that name, Google it already!) The opening two-thirds, however, came off a little mumbly, making it hard to fully engage with James’ otherwise gutsy, stripped-down rendition. The coaches all brought up the Ghost of James’ Knockout Past, but we’ll just have to wait and see if it was a sneaky strategy to remind voters of his weakest moment, or an attempt to highlight his massive improvement in a short period of time.

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of tonight’s Live Playoffs? Were the coaches too bland with their feedback? Who were your faves? Who are you worried about? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. AlyB says:

Tonight my favorites were:
    Tessane
    Ray
    Austin
    James
    Will
    then everyone else.
    Tessane has a killer voice but she’s coming off much older than her years. They need to help her turn this around with styling & song choices.
    Ray is awesome. Swamp pop…I love it. I think he’ll get far in this competition.
    Austin has a great voice and I loved the song. I have the original & he sounded so much like it, I won’t buy the itune but I did vote for him. I think he might have trouble getting a big fan base but I really like him a lot. He may not be classically “hot” but he’s like a big teddy bear & I love his voice.
    James sounded absolutely fantastic on that song. I’m sure it’s burning up the charts. He does have an incredible voice but I just can’t warm up to him for some reason. He’s kind of creepy. I think he’ll be around for awhile. He does have a beautiful tone to his voice so maybe he’ll stop leaving me cold at some point.
    Will OK so that wasn’t his best tonight but I think a lot of that was because Adam made him get up off the piano, then sit back down. All that struggling with the mic was distracting & I think threw him off a little. Still love him.

Grey & Preston were disappointing. Maybe nerves got the best of them. Shelby is a great country singer. I’m just not that into her. Cole was forgettable. Nic was a complete train wreck.

2. NotHappeningTonight says:

Grey was just so painful to both watch and listen to. She looked like a prom queen dressing up as a “bad girl” without one iota of edge or rock. And she sounded exactly like what she is, a wedding singer, background noise that’s completely forgettable.

• Ted says:

Yep. And I think it’s pretty presumptuous for a no-name wedding singer to appear on The Voice using a single-name moniker.

3. Phil says:

My performance rankings:
    1) Tessanne Chin – Awesome vocal! I will be shocked if she doesn’t get through.
    2) Ray Boudreaux – Much better stage presence than I expected based on past performances, and wonderful voice as usual.
    3) Cole Vosbury – That beard makes Cole look so much older than 22. His vocals were spot-on, though I’d hoped he would continue to pick more current songs.
    4) James Wolpert – I haven’t liked him much thus far, but this was quite a strong vocal. However, I’m struggling to figure out what kind of record James would make based on his song choices thus far.
    5) Will Champlin – Despite a few lyric flubs, this was a pretty arrangement of a “meh” song that normally wouldn’t show the vocals off very well. Will is my favorite this season, but given Adam’s affinity for James and Preston, as well as Tessanne’s inarguably fantastic vocal chops, I have a bad, bad feeling that this might have been Will’s swan song.
    6) Preston Pohl – I’ve loved every performance of Preston’s so far, but this didn’t quite work for me. It sounded very forced, like he was screaming with a sore throat, as opposed to his usual natural-feeling rasp. I’m glad he picked something current, though.
    7) Shelbie Z – I’ll be surprised if Blake doesn’t bring Shelbie through to the Top 12. She’s a great performer and a good singer, although I don’t know that this song was the perfect indicator of the great voice she’s got.
    8) Austin Jenckes – He picked a song that showed off his voice, and he sang it well enough, but by the end of the night, I found Austin to be among the hardest to remember performance-wise.
    9) Grey – She’s a pop singer who has nailed her Kelly Clarkson performances, but this performance just didn’t quite work for me. It’s like the pageant girl who tries to rock out on karaoke night – there was just something missing there.
    10) Nic Hawk – My dad walked in during Nic’s performance and asked if this was a “joke performance.” ‘Nuff said.
    Who I Would Send Home: Grey & James (based on the season overall) from Team Adam, and Austin and Nic from Team Blake
    Who I Think Will Go Home: Grey & Will from Team Adam, and Austin & Nic from Team Blake

• seattlejohn449 says:

For the blind auditions and last week only the performers chose their songs but tonight (and from here on out) don’t the coaches pick the material? It just seems that this posting assigns song choice to the singers and not to their mentors which can backfire on the performers if it isn’t a good fit (a problem I had last year with Cee-Lo’s uninspired old songs for Nicholas David).

Agreed with your comments about Cole, James, Will (my favorite for the past 2 weeks) and Preston. I do, however, enjoy Nic a lot. Am struggling with Tessanne’s popularity as she leaves me uninvolved emotionally as did those 2 other women back-up singers from previous seasons who everyone (especially Slezak) seemed jazzed about.

• Abram G. says:

The coaches pick, but the artists are in the loop, so they have a significant say in the genre. At least that’s how it worked last year.

• The Guest says:

It’s a collaboration. Usually when a coach says “I gave this song to my performer” it means the coach suggested it and the singer accepted it, not that it was forced upon the singer. After their performances, sometimes another coach will ask if the coach or singer picked the song. Blake talked about how Jermaine Paul chose “I Believe I Can Fly,” then they both spent time trying to find another song before Blake agreed that Jermaine’s first idea was the best.

Last season Adam accused Blake of letting his singers sing whatever they want, which ultimately seemed to work pretty well for Blake if that was the case.

• Sieves says:

To James Wolpert: “this was quite a strong vocal. However, I’m struggling to figure out what kind of record [You] would make based on [your] song choices thus far.” –Randy Jackson

sounds like an idol judge is back from beyond the grave

4. analythinker says:

I just realized to what I compared Preston’s Nothing on You with. Not the original, but the opening number on The Sing-Off 3. They sang it together, which may be the problem with Preston’s delivery: it’s difficult to expect a solo singer singing a duo/group/collaboration/whatever song, at least for me.

5. Tom22 says:

guilty pleasure or not. .i’m still liking that Nic performance.. think German rathskeller in the 1920s and the cultural scene and tension of the time and it might all come together for you others ! lol .. or not but, just in case he gets through, you’ll know someone heard something they liked.

• CEM says:

I liked Nic’s number, too. I also loved Blake’s comment: “My gosh, you did everything you can do as a perrformer. I can’t think of another element, besides boobs, that you could’ve thrown into that performance! You’re the complete entertainer. OMG! OMG!”

6. EVPandHC says:

Grey was such a disappointment. A lot of people I know were supporting her. She was doing well with all the pop songs. Adam sabotaged her badly.

Nic Hawk was much worse. He was entertaining, but that’s because it was a super hot flaming mess.

There were a lot of okay performances. I think the standouts IMO were Tessanne and James like everyone else. Even iTunes say so.

12. James Wolpert – A Case of You (The Voice Performance)
    34. Tessanne Chin – Many Rivers To Cross (The Voice Performance)
    45. Austin Jenckes – She Talks To Angels (The Voice Performance)
    46. Will Champlin – Secrets (The Voice Performance)
    47. Cole Vosbury – Maggie May (The Voice Performance)
    48. Ray Boudreaux – Home (The Voice Performance)
    97. Preston Pohl – Nothin’ On You (The Voice Performance)
    128. Nic Hawk – Blurred Lines (The Voice Performance)
    130. Shelbie Z. – Fancy (The Voice Performance)
    426. Grey – Still Into You (The Voice Performance)

7. HTGR says:

Well James came back and did better than ever before, sadly, not sure anyone else did. This was basically the first time I really liked James, I mean he wasn’t bad until last week (cool song but, live at least, he didn’t pull it off), but he never really did much for me either.
    Man as soon as they started making Nic’s go sound as if he was Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Tina Turner, Audra McDonald and Pavarotti all in one I knew…. well I knew we wouldn’t hearing a whole lotta truth from then on.
    I wonder if they were sort doing the lady doth protest too much thing there making it seems like he was a great save over iTunes charter Holly. I told you last week man, gotta go with potential. Even if she had a bad week it would’ve been better than that and it just might have been great for all we know. His voice is nasally and thin and his performance antics have had their day in the sun.

8. HTGR says:

OTOH while Adam served James very well this week I almost feel like he tossed Grey under the bus, although he did seem genuinely excited about her (unless he is just that THAT crafty and trying to protect true favs), so maybe he just badly misjudged. I was a fan to start (at least now that she failed, Michael finally admits she had been putting out good vocals all along) and she was getting better each week but not sure what happened, man that may have sunk the dark horse :(. Her vocals were 100x times weaker than ever before, maybe she was, as Michael said, just too caught up trying to play the stage presence rocker and forgot about breath control and singing and maybe that just was not her sort of thing. A shame. We’ll see if she manages to survive it.

9. HTGR says:

I wasn’t as impressed with Ray this time.
    Contrary to everyone’s opinion here I actually liked Cole a real lot tonight, granted it sounded almost like Rod Stewart was singing and Cole was just lip-synching to him but since Cole was singing that’s really not a bad thing, even if he didn’t make it his own.
    I missed Shelbie so I can’t comment.
    Tess was pretty good, very good, although I do agree there is just something that doesn’t make me crazy rooting for her for whatever reason, not that I am against her, just not taken to the point to make sure to vote by all methods kinda taken.
    Austin was OK.
    People seem to hate Preston this week, I still liked him, especially as it got going, although it wasn’t his best.
    I didn’t think Will was that bad, although he does seem to thrive better under Xtina’s touch and guidance. And that one note did seem more wonky to me than amazingly carried out too.

10. HTGR says:

I guess I’d like to see for Blake: Cole, Ray, Shelbie move on to top 12. A bit hard to say, I missed Shelbie this week and half of her last week and hadn’t been taken by her at all before, but people seem to put her ahead of Austin, not sure though.
    For Team Adam it’s tricky man: I think Tess has to go through and probably Preston as well. Then only one spot left, man. Will has been better than James most weeks IMO…. other than maybe this week so makes it a tougher call, but I still go with Will. I really liked Grey so I’d have had her as a definite but man not the night to have her one really weak performance, although it seems Adam maybe messed her up this week so hmmm damn it would stink to see her go. Man, I don’t know. I guess it at least speaks to his team a bit better than it’s a tough call.
    The night didn’t blow me away as much as I had expected.

11. HTGR says:

Night kind of fell flat, and can’t help but wonder if Holly might have brought something special and different. If she had a night like her audition…. and even worst case it would’ve been far less painful than the incident that took place tonight. WTH Blake. And does such ridiculous picks and then of course he is like leading every chart again with his team. Why not take the chance on something that might possibly be amazing? He even admitted tonight that he actually thought Grey had easily won her round. What games is he playing? Maybe just making sure all along his female country singer gets through?
    And it really was a shame to see how badly Adam mis(or like a fox for his true pets?)-played Grey this week. Although some might be that she just blew it tonight too, since even her earliest rehearsal footage, which often sounds a lot rougher than the performances, sounds much better. I don’t know what happened. Apparently a choice that backfired for one reason or another.

• I completely agree, the episode was lacking any “wow” moments from me (aside of course from “Wow why did Blake think Nic butchering Blurred Lines would be better than anything Holly could have done). Holly released a cover of Youth on her YouTube page today and I actually liked that better than anything I saw last night.

12. xx says:

‘a electic feel (see what I did there?)’
    Wrecked the English language, perhaps?

13. HTGR says:

Anyone think that xtina should’ve saved Will, since she works super well with him, and then Adam could’ve gotten Matt, who probably would work fine over with him too?
    Interesting that even with Creep apparently Holly got vetoed in doing a totally different stripped down version and kept getting molded a bit against her natural instincts those two post blind audition weeks. Although certainly some could’ve been nerves. Anyway, that ship has sailed (as far as the show is concerned) and I’ll drop it once we get to top 12.
    Last week everyone, myself included, was like it’s so evenly matched, there are no favorites, this will be so great. Well, maybe it’s actually better for there to be strong favorites and no early sense that it might be a total toss up? Maybe tomorrow night.

14. Chris says:

I agree that Will should have stayed at the piano. However his performance ranks much higher than a C. The arrangement of the song alone deserves higher praise. I’d be shocked if he goes home and disappointed.

I think James did a great job with Joni’s song. In fact aside from his blind audition of Jack White’s song, that’s the second best performance from him. If I were a conspiracy theorist (which I’m not), I think this is the reason Adam had Will get up. Nah….
    —-
    Tessanne is a vocal beast. I’ve never heard that song before, so other than singing the mess out of it I won’t remember it at all in about 5 minutes.

I appreciated every single moment of NIc. Pure entertainment and I won’t ignore his talents for that. Yes, the singing could have been better.

Austin lost me with the smiling too. I was extremely disappointed with the song choice for Cole, and Ray really surprised me tonight in a good way.

———-

I’m very much looking forward to seeing CeeLo and Christina’s teams tonight!

15. Who chooses the songs the Judges or the artistes, b/c alot of the song choices were just horrible….like Grey and Pohl….i love Pohl’s voice, but he struggled on that song.,as did Grey

16. spongebob says:

What happened to The Voice tonight? So disappointed! And what happened to Slezak’s letter grades? Are we watching the same show? Anyway, of all the contestants I’m so disappointed with Preston. That song is so cheesy and so beneath him. Tessanne & James stole the show for me. The only two performances I actually loved. James’ studio version is so lovely by the way. Will could’ve had a moment if it’s not for the wonky note & the unnatural stage maneuvering. Still, I preferred his song & interpretation over the others. Ray also disappointed me, it was a bit safe. Even if Preston messed up, I think Adam will still keep him over James or Will, which would really break my heart.

17. Mary says:

I turned it on just as Nic was singing blurred lines. OMG that was really bad. Is is to much to ask the judges to critique the performances honestly. Was Blake drunk again, he just seemed to rabble on. This is why I do not get vested in this show, to much puff for my liking.

18. Angel says:

Nic should be embarrassed or pissed at Blake for choosing that song for him. It was horrible. I pretty much stopped watching after that and tuned in to dancing with stars since Cher was on. She wasn’t even her spot on self last night, but she was still better than what I was seeing on The Voice.

19. Susan Green says:

One thing I thought interesting is how they matched the coaches. Yesterday we saw the job of two coaches that are still in the show since season one. Today, it’s time for Xtina and Cee Lo to show that their pause from the show is a thing that Adam and Blake should do soon. I think we are going to have the best performances tonight.
    My favorites from Team Adam are Tessanne e Will; from Team Blake, the only one that I care about is Ray.

20. Kaba says:

These are the songs for tonight:
    1. “Wasting All These Tears” – Cassadee Pope
    2. “I Will Survive” – Gloria Gaynor
    3. “Bittersweet Symphony” – The Verve
    4. “She Keeps Me Warm” – Mary Lambert
    5. “We’re Going to Be Friends” – The White Stripes
    6. “Wrecking Ball” – Miley Cyrus
    7. “I Put a Spell On You” – Screamin’ Jay Hawkins
    8. “Crazy” – Gnarls Barkley
    9. “Georgia on My Mind” – Ray Charles
    10. “Roar” – Katy Perry

My predictions (of some or close to all)
    Caroline takes on “Wasting All These Tears”
    -that would be absolutely lovely with her voice (assuming her voice has the strength for those notes? idk)
    “I Put a Spell On You” for Jacquie…or even “Crazy”…or even “Georgia on My Mind”
    -Those two songs just scream perfection for her voice. And it suits the style she seems to be into (looking back at her body of works)
    “We’re Going to Be Friends” just screams “Jonny! JONNNNYYYY”
    -I mean…is anyone else thinking otherwise?
    “Roar”….Kat
    -Why? It’s Kat…the song is called “Roar”…listen to Kat’s voice.
    “Georgia on My Mind” Amber possibly
    -If not Jacquie…Amber imo
    “I Will Survive” (why? Why the hell? This has to be a CeeLo team song) I’m throwing that at Tamara :/
    -Because only Ceelo would pick that song and it only suits a voice like Tamara’s (I miss Ceelo’s song choice back in season 2 :/)

God bless the soul who has to take on “Wrecking Ball”

• Annie says:

I think Wrecking Ball is actually a good song…..
      Anyway, I can see Caroline doing Georgia on My Mind

• Kaba says:

I think it’s a good song too…but with the voice…songs don’t get changed up a lot so I can only imagine what they’ll do.
        I don’t think the song (in it’s original take) is a good song to perform on a reality singing show

• zenmaster says:

I have the spoilers for tonight. Matthew is going to take on ‘Wrecking Ball’

1. “Wasting All These Tears” – Cassadee Pope – Amber Nicole
      2. “I Will Survive” – Gloria Gaynor – Tamara Chauniece
      3. “Bittersweet Symphony” – The Verve – Jonny Gray
      4. “She Keeps Me Warm” – Mary Lambert – Kat Robichaud
      5. “We’re Going to Be Friends” – The White Stripes – Caroline Pennell
      6. “Wrecking Ball” – Miley Cyrus – Matthew Schuler
      7. “I Put a Spell On You” – Screamin’ Jay Hawkins – Jacquie Lee
      8. “Crazy” – Gnarls Barkley – Josh Logan
      9. “Georgia on My Mind” – Ray Charles – Stephanie Anne Johnson
      10. “Roar” – Katy Perry – Olivia Henken

• Kaba says:

Matt is?
        Excuse me while I pray.
        Even though it’s Matthew…I can only…only imagine…

• HTGR says:

Interesting, for the first group, that same order above you listed them in is how I thought they did from worst to best (even if the song Caroline sung is a bit of a sugar overdose, wasn’t really familiar with it, and that coming from someone who can handle a lot of sugar). I hope that doesn’t spell badly for Jacquie Lee for the second half of the show, going #2.
        Hmm as I type I this see the second set are not going in the order you presented even if the first five did so forget my comment above.

• HTGR says:

So far, wrong on every single account haha (not sure it’s been an entirely good thing either).

• Kaba says:

Lol I was right about Jacquie singing I Put a Spell On You lol.
        And I figured Tamara would sing this.

I thought “Wasting All These Tears” for Amber could have been perfection…had she not been the first singer :(

21. Annie says:

Super unpopular opinion coming up in 3, 2,……
    Tesanne is a wonderful singer and seems like a great person, but I have yet to watch a performance of hers and feel anything but boredom. If I’m being honest, I find her performances quite bland.

Btw, I thought James was absolutely flawless tonight. Beautiful song, even more beautifully executed.

My top three for both teams would be

Team Blake:
    1. Ray
    2. Austin
    3. Cole

Team Adam:
    1. James
    2. Will – he is so much better than his performance tonight
    3. Preston

• Kiddo says:

I agree. Tessane has a good voice, but she has nothing special or unique to me. That is what I like in Preston, James and Caroline.

• I do wonder if The Show itself is the reason for this. I feel the same, same with Judith Hill last season. These are good singers, but when the show continually pushes them, always giving them the pimp slot, always featuring them in all the recaps and promos I am always left thinking, they are good, but they are not THAT good to receive that kind of push from the producers.

22. Annie says:

James is way ahead of everyone else on iTunes…currently #4 on the overall chart. Tessanine is next, currently at #15 overall, with Will right behind, at #18. So, unless Adam decides to save someone who isn’t getting as much support on the charts (which he has done before), Preston is not only not a mortal lock, he’ll be going home (along with Grey). All 5 of Adam’s team members deserve to make Top 12, in my opinion, but that’s the downside of having such a strong team.

Interestingly, Nic is the highest on iTunes among Blake’s team members (Cole’s performance from last week is higher, but that doesn’t count). So don’t be surprised if Nic makes the Top 12 — people like him because he’s entertaining.

• Ben says:

You’re looking at the wrong chart. That’s the Pop chart, which doesn’t include the rest of Blake’s team.

The important one is Overall Singles:

3. Cole Vosbury – Maggie May

Country Singles:
      21. Shelbie Z. – Fancy

Alternative Singles:
      39. Grey – Still Into You

• David says:

If iTunes were the only determining factor (and it’s not), the results on Thursday will look something like this: TEAM ADAM: America saves James and Tessanne. America sends Grey home. Adam chooses between Will and Preston — a very difficult decision. Adam probably keeps Preston. On TEAM BLAKE, there’s a serious hot mess. America could save Cole, Austin and/or Ray. America could send home Nic and/or Shelbie Z. Either way, Blake will likely have an extremely tough choice to make. Whatever he decides, it’s likely that Team Blake’s chances of a fourth win are not real good.

23. Ray Boudreaux’s verison of Home was good, but in no way touched Marc Broussard’s. Give him a listen. You can thank me later. :)

24. Coryrox78 says:

I’m starting to feel the same way about this season as I did last season, which is meh. I’m still looking for some sort of connection with one of the remaining singers, but just not finding it. Nic’s performance was absolute rubbish. He shouldn’t have been allowed near the stage. Preston’s performance, was sort of an overbearing, in your face version of that song….creepy. I actually liked Will’s arrangement of Secrets, but I can’t decide if it’s just because I’ve always hated One Republic’s version. I like Grey, so I was sorry to see her kind of blow that Paramore song :/ Looking forward to seeing the rest of the contestants tonight and hoping for some fireworks!

25. Karen says:

What are you smoking Slezak, not giving James Wolpert an A++ for that incredible performance?! Before last night’s performance I had y doubts about James, but that performance gave me the chills (something that does not come easy to me). And even though Will Champlin wasn’t at his best, I really hope he’ll get through to next week, cause he deserves it based on his past performances.

26. Annie says:

If Adam doesn’t keep Will after this round, I will be SO disappointed,

27. I normally love The Voice, but was so disappointed by all the fake glowing criticism last night that I am not sure that I will watch it again this season. These people are here to learn something even if they do not win the competition. Telling them how wonderful they were, when they clearly were not does them a diservice.

• Kiddo says:

It was so painful and embarassing to hear specially Xtina’s and Ceelo’s feedbacks. All the big guy kept saying was “you know, I liked you since the beggining” or “I turned my chair for you”. Nothing about the performances. And ceelo was clearly uncomfortable in that position.

28. Josie says:

I usually agree with you Slezak but not today. I feel like Will’s grade is wayyy too low. Also I didn’t see the appeal with Preston. It seemed like a very mediocore performance by him. Also I usually really like Ray, but I didn’t love him last night. Also, I know that Grey is most likely going home tonight, but I really like her. Yes I understand that there were some vocal problems last night, but I think it just wasn’t a good song for her. Also, I feel like last night we really saw her command the stage and show some personality.

29. I’m so glad you’ve seen the light on Will. I was baffled when everyone last week kept talking about how great he was. He wasn’t. He was pitchy, hoarse, strained, and lost among one too many octave changes. Hot mess. This week, hotter mess. I’m not saying he doesn’t have talent. I’m just saying he tries too hard.

30. Catniss says:

Will is ranked way too low. I will be mad if Adam lets him go again if he does not get enough votes to get through. Preston was not that great. Tess is a good singer, but she does not captivate me. James needs to hold on to his pocket protector. His nerdy outfit is annoying, whereas Ray looked good last night.

31. Mafs95 says:

Best performance of the night: Xtina

32. angelstorm says:

Are you kidding me right now Slezak ? Tessanne’s pure perfection of a vocal shouldn’t be anywhere near a B unless you’re about to call it Beautiful or mind Blowing !

I have to say – I’m not nearly as impressed with Preston as you consistently seem to be. His voice has a great rasp and tone to it but that gets old. He sounded out of breath in parts of the song tonight. If i’m being honest – I don’t hear passion there at all whereas you rob Tessanne of the “passion” label simply because she sounds so flawless.

33. zenmaster says:

Here’s the spoiler for tonight.
    ————————
    1. “Wasting All These Tears” – Cassadee Pope – Amber Nicole
    2. “I Will Survive” – Gloria Gaynor – Tamara Chauniece
    3. “Bittersweet Symphony” – The Verve – Jonny Gray
    4. “She Keeps Me Warm” – Mary Lambert – Kat Robichaud
    5. “We’re Going to Be Friends” – The White Stripes – Caroline Pennell
    6. “Wrecking Ball” – Miley Cyrus – Matthew Schuler
    7. “I Put a Spell On You” – Screamin’ Jay Hawkins – Jacquie Lee
    8. “Crazy” – Gnarls Barkley – Josh Logan
    9. “Georgia on My Mind” – Ray Charles – Stephanie Anne Johnson
    10. “Roar” – Katy Perry – Olivia Henken

34. Josie says:

Just found out the songs for tonight. (You can go to itunes.com/thevoice)
    Team Ceelo:
    Amber: “Wasting All These Tears”- Cassadee Pope (love this song!)
    Caroline: “We’re Going To Be Friends”- The White Stripes
    Kat: “She Keeps Me Warm”- Mary Lambert
    Tamara: “I Will Survive”- Gloria Gaynor
    Jonny: “Bittersweet Symphony”- The Verve
    Team Xtina:
    Olivia: “Roar”- Katy Perry
    Jacquie: “I Put A Spell On You”- Screamin’ Jay Hawkins
    Josh:”Crazy”- Knarls Barkley
    Matthew: “Wrecking Ball”- Miley Cyrus (should be interesting)
    Stephanie: “Georgia On My Mind” (love this song but it should’ve been shut down for singing competitions after Kendra Chantelle did it on Idol)

35. Betsy says:

James stole the night in my opinion, and set the bar high for everyone else. He’s like Clark Kent who turns into Superman when he sings, and then back into Clark Kent. He has NOT been my favorite so far, but last night he was so great that I am now a big fan. I hope it wasn’t just a one-time thing and that he can continue that kind of greatness. I’ve never heard that Joni Mitchell song before but I’m downloading both his version and the original.

36. A says:

The winner is going to come from Team Christian or Team CeeLo this year. Probably Matthew, Caroline, or Johnny. I did like Ray’s performance tonight though

37. Da True Adam says:

goodness, everybody has lost their sense of fun. Nic Hawk was clearly the best performance of the night, not the worst. He took a standard pop track and turned it into a Prince/Eminem/McHammer mashup that had personality, excitement and gravitas. Anybody that thinks he’s too weird would make a horrible record company executive.

38. Daenerys says:

I seriously don’t get all the Tessanne hate going on over here. The popular sentiment seems to be that she is amazing vocally, but bland in personality and so doesn’t deserve all the props she’s getting. God forbid someone as talented as her get ahead on her voice only, on a show specifically named The Voice. I thought we had gotten rid of (or at least culled out abit) the mentality that someone only deserves to win if they have a good ‘personality’ (or whatever other crock) to go with their vocal ability. This is not a popularity contest – although, as I’m typing this, I realise that this is exactly what it’s turning out to be. Based on talent ALONE, Tessanne has NO OTHER PEERS even near her level, but unfortunately for her, the American audience needs to ‘connect’ with her ‘emotionally’ and other additional BS requirements for her to even last long on this show. It’s disgusting, frankly, the comments here about how undeserving Tessanne is of all the praise that she’s getting, whilst at the same time bemoaning the fact that someone like Holly Henry got booted – HOLLY didn’t have that much of a ‘personality’ either (based on THE VOICE show alone) but people gave her multiple passes anyway! WTH ‘Murrica?!

• HTGR says:

I don’t people mean personality in way you are talking about it at all. They mean it in a purely vocal sense.

• Priscila says:

Yeah, her voice is very good but it does not appel to me at all. It is not the type of vocals that stand out for me, that is all. I don’t hate her :)

• Daenerys says:

I didn’t mean personality the way you think I meant it either – I was using it in the sense that people claim that her performances don’t have much ‘personality’ in them (ie. hard to ‘connect emotionally’) and generally rag on her about that whilst giving others a free pass who don’t really do much in their performances, both in vocal and in being able to ‘connect’. But I guess to each their own. My faves are Caroline, Cole and Tessanne and there are some I think don’t deserve to be in the Lives but I’ll refrain from ragging on them and stick to the positive.

• HTGR says:

fair enough, I do like Tessanne though, but sometimes I do feel just a touch of some magic not there, that said I do think she was definitely one the best of the night for sure

39. HTGR says:

Sounds like the judges are being more honest tonight (while still being nice and supportive about it). Weren’t afraid to call out majorly flat glory note and such with first contestant already.
    I have to same Cassaddee did pull it off quite a bit better.

40. Priscila says:

was blake really talking about killing people just now? Awkward…! LOL

41. HTGR says:

Wow, I think one word sums up the last two nights and it’s:
    Jacquie

42. HTGR says:

Finally completely moved this season. Although Kat and Caroline and Matthew were certainly solid. Those four for me tonight and maybe either.

43. John Verita says:

Ceelo & Blake were very kind to all of Christina & Adam’s team on 11/4/13 & 11/5/13.

Then on 11/5/13, Adam & Pigstina start with a lot of unnecessary criticism of Ceelo’s team.
    It was pretty transparent & obvious that, being the truly selfish people that they are, they were tearing others down only to improve their chances at winning.

Too bad Pigstina could not stay GONE, as it was an utter blessing when her ugliness was not part of the show. Can she be any more of an attention-monger? YYYUUUCCKKK!

• Kaba says:

See…it takes a special kind of irrelevant, useless, unmoving, bland, unimportant, never going to amount to anything of an ass to be as rude as you just were.
      Don’t worry though, Pigstina is laughing all the way to the bank while you’re crying in the welfare line.

• John Verita says:

As long as you referred to her as such, … thanks noob

You need a few more inapplicable adjectives in there..

• Kaba says:

Lol “noob”
          Pardon me while I go and get a dust pan to properly sweep away the dried out internet/geek term that was just dropped. Lmao

44. Sea says:

Preston Pohl is an original. He will definitely be staying. However Adam needs to find better songs for him and let him do his own thing. For anyone to say he has no finesse, I say…how old are you? He has the voice of one of the Greats,. his raspy voice is all the finesse that is needed.i

45. Sea says:

There are a lot of good peformers on the lives, but I have to ask myself if I would buy their music for more than just one song. Tess is technically very good, but I would definitely not buy her music.

Nic Hawk is a showman and very talented despite what other say. He will do well in broadway shows. He looks like he is having alot of fun out there and is definitely one of a kind.

I think the performance from Team Adam and Blake were for the most part much better than most of the ones from Christine and Ceelo. A lot of poor song choices tonight, not the singers fault necessarily. Jacquie and Matt were outstanding but outside of that not much impressed me tonight. Correct me if I am worng, but do 2 people from each team go home this week. If so, it is a shame that it is not a loss of 8 people overall, not 2 per team. Seems unfair that somone from Adam or Blakes team whose peformance was better than someone from Christina or Ceelo’s team will have to go home. If they are looking for the best Voice, they should consider changing that rule.

46. Sea says:

As much as I like and support Preston Pohl, I have not been overly excited about what he has done since Electric Feel. He is still singing well but….. Electric Feel worked for Preston because he took a song outside of his music genre (R/B soul) and turned it into his own. Adam should let Preston do his version on one of the following:
    Kings of Leon- Use Somebody
    Philospher Kings- Hurts to Love you
    Phoenix -Everything is Everything
    Richard Marx-Keep Coming Back
    Keith Urban/Richard Marx-Long Hot Summer

…instead of giving him a song in that is already in his style.

47. Sea says:

Maybe “Why did you lie” by Colin James for bluesy song.

48. Melissa says:

My top three are:

1. Preston Pohl – Yes, that song was a terrible choice for his voice, but I love his voice not Adam’s song choice. I support Preston fully and unconditionally. i feel he did great considering what he was given to work with.

2. Nic Hawk – He is energectic, charismatic, and entertaining. He did an awesome job with that song considering how much I don’t like the song. (All I can see is Miley Cyrus rutting whenever I hear it.)

3. Tessanne – she doesn’t have to do all those runs to sound great.

Austin, Cole, ShelbieZ, and Ray are OK. Don’t like Will, James, or Grey. They seem like they are just filler for spots in the show.

49. nina says:

Tesanne is so overrated. Argh
    I only liked her blind audition. I m bored.
    same with James. He s so boring. I didn’t even understand what the lyrics were.
    everyone was boring.
    Will didn’t do fantastic, but he’s the only one who sang good.

50. Spell says:

You just lost all your credibility for underscoring Tessanne, Will, and James. Grey has pitch issues since her blind audition but you’re saying that she has never had a pitch issue so I’m seriously doubting your credibility and relevance right now.