Scoop: NCIS Promotes Ziva's Successor to Series Regular -- Get a First Look at Ellie Bishop

Two weeks ahead of her NCIS debut, actress Emily Wickersham has been promoted to series regular status on the CBS drama — and we’ve got a first look at the new addition to Gibbs’ team.

RELATED | NCIS Season 11 Spoilers — Find Out Who’s Returning

Filling the void left by Agent Ziva David’s abrupt departure at the start of Season 11, Wickersham’s character, NSA Analyst Eleanor “Ellie” Bishop, is described as “a mysterious mixture of analytic brilliance, fierce determination and idealism,” someone who specializes in international threat assessment and global preparation.

RELATED | NCIS Boss Discusses Ziva’s Exit: What Changed? Was a Kiss Cut? Could She Return?

Get a first look at Bishop working with Gibbs’ team, then read on for more:

Gut Check
Gut Check

Bishop will be introduced in the Nov. 19 episode of TV’s most watched drama when it is discovered that SecNav was bugged during a confidential briefing — a security breach Bishop predicted two years ago in a threat analysis. Working side-by-side with Gibbs & Co., Bishop will help determine who is behind the crime.

RELATED | NCIS Season 11 Spoilers — When Will Ziva-Less Tony Get His Groove Back?

Explaining the new character’s creation, showrunner Gary Glasberg tells TVLine, “What drew me to Bishop is how she views the world. She looks at things in a global way — and that’s true of personal lives as well as the work.” Meaning, “She will shed some light on everybody, on who our people are, as well on the way that politics and terrorism and crimes are handled. She possesses an interesting mind, an intellectual, smart way to approach doing what this team does — not with kicks and punches and knocking down doors but by really thinking. She’s very much a thinker.”

Wickersham’s previous TV credits include several episodes of FX’s The Bridge (as Annabeth Gish’s wicked stepdaughter) and The Sopranos.

Want more scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Hope19 says:

Bishop is beginning to grow on me. I did not like her in her first NCIS appearance. I loved the Christmas episode! She is more like a “Sister” to Tony and McGee. She is smart and I hope will do well. I still miss Ziva though! I loved watching her relationship with Tony. I hope she does come back next year as a regular again.I have watched NCIS since it’s first season and will continue to watch but it is lacking/missing something this year and I think it is Ziva!

2. Linda says:

It’s really a shame to have ruined the NCIS television series with the new character, Ellie Bishop. All of a sudden, Gibbs has totally lost his edge and he is wimp to her super intelligence. The show seems now to revolve around her. Anthony and Tim’s characters have taken on pale roles where there was once depth and spark. It’s not a show to look forward to any longer. How very sad.

3. May says:

No, the more I see Bishop’s role and the way they are forcing the scripts to make her fit, the less her character fits. Tony’s character is regressing, Gibbs is not teaching by example, Tim seems to be regressing too all to fit this human robot into the show.
    Plus, she is just plain annoying – as a female, I really resent writers thinking women can’t be well rounded and smart at the same time.
    I’ll watch it for now, but if the writers let the Gibbs’ character go – they can probably watch their audience go with it.

4. May says:

The more I see the character of Bishop and now a girl friend/college the more I dislike the characters and plots.Everyone is more childish, less focused and far less believable.
    The more I see the show the more I yearn for less bizarre characters.

5. Carla says:

NCSI is BORING without Ziva! I would rather see no replacement and use Duckie, Abby, and Palmer more. The replacement adds nothing but boredom to NCSI. I wonder if NCSI will remain #1— I don’t think it wil!

6. Nancy says:

Can SOMEONE please dye her eyebrows blonde or make her hair brown? I can’t even concentrate on her words because those dark eyebrows are so prominent!!!

• May says:

I noticed that too. It must have been more obvious this week, roots were blonde -eyebrows dark brown – really?!
      I know this is rather petty, but with everything else I don’t like about the character this grates even more.

7. dylan says:

How sad; she is not so good – no chemistry and too contrived.

8. jag says:

I miss Ziva, there is no chemistry, she doesn’t have that strong personality. No dark side and I think thats what we loved about Ziva, dark side gone good!! Assassin turned good guy!! She is more like Gibb’s daughter!! Nay!! don’t like character

• Alisa Neely says:

ziva DIDN’T have a GOOD SIDE….she was ALWAYS DARK & BROODING….didn’t know HOW to be a TEAM MEMBER….there is NO “I” IN “TEAM”….something ziva didn’t understand….she was ALLOWED to get away with MURDER….while anyone else on the team or in the agency, would have been CHARGED.

9. Haleyjade says:

Bishop has got to go! I cannot not watch NCIS as long as she is on. She is extremely irritating and her character is beyond belief.

10. Dianna Jenks says:

I am not sure why Ziva had to leave the show. What really happen? I like the girl. But where is Ziva. I really want her back anyway. I heard it was the network flout. Someone answer????

11. May says:

The last episode of NCIS had Bishop get away with something no one else would be allowed to! Tired of this character!!! The character of Gibbs would NOT at this point suddenly think of this idiot savant character as a daughter substitute – if that is where the writers think they are going to take this lousy storyline.
    The writers have emasculated the men and made all the characters less intelligent, thereby guaranteeing that the whole show is now less interesting and making me less interested in watching.
    I will finish watching this season, with hope, but if next season continues in this vein, I will have to bid a fond farewell to NCIS.

12. Robert H Weymouth Jr says:

Bishop is not a good role at all, she is not a character as she is too serious and if she keeps going around telling people what is going to happen, the crew will knock her off.
    CBS production company made a big mistake with her but so what else is new. NCIS will be cancelled in two years. Jethro predicts she will replace everyone before she is through. EEHAW!

13. B. A. Rupert says:

The character gets away with everything and everyone – including Gibbs – stands around and says how amazing she is and what great insight she has. The show has gone down hill since the character was added. I would like Ziva back – but if not possible – bring a strong character into the role – not somebody’s kid sister -

14. MN says:

I still have nothing against the actress, but this character has not improved with time. Either the writers need a vacation or they need a hit to the backs of their heads!!

Tony has regressed and is back to being more of an overgrown frat boy, McGee has stagnated and we don’t even hear about his writing [and the girlfriend was so gratuitous], Ducky is more dour, Jimmy has stagnated, Abby has stagnated, and Gibbs just seems to be letting this female idiot savant get away with stuff that no one else could or can.

I do not expect Ziva back, but I miss Leon and the ambivalence around his working with the team, I also miss the interactions with Fornell. I do not know if the last 2 actors left or were written out or given less screen time so we would be forced to accept Bishop, but I don’t like her and I don’t like the way the show has changed since they brought her on.

15. Jeanette says:

We’ve tried to give “Bishop” a chance but the truth is…SHE JUST DOES NOT FIT THE TEAM…there are plenty of women out there who would qualify much better than this little girl who thinks she can run the place.The bad guys must laugh when they see her coming. She is just not right for the part !! We enjoyed Ziva, and her predecessors, but this gal does nothing for the series…it was always our #1 favorite TV program but not now !

• MN says:

I totally agree with you! Her characters predecessors were smart, independent women with opinions that did not always agree with other cast characters, but somehow a much better fit. “Bishop” just is an irritation that I want to smoosh and get rid of.

16. steve says:

when will this no talented blonde bimbo die out from one of the best shows on telly,how could they let this bimbo stay as long as she has,the longer she stays the faster this show NCIS will go down the drain,i really do feel sorry for the rest of the cast ,with all there hard work to get this show to the top of shows,only to let this no talented blonde creature wreck 10 years of great viewing,what does a peroxide blonde and a jumbo jet have in common,both got a black box,,,,JUST GET RID OFF HER PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE and a million more