Scoop: NCIS Promotes Ziva's Successor to Series Regular — Get a First Look at Ellie Bishop

Get More: Casting News, News

Two weeks ahead of her NCIS debut, actress Emily Wickersham has been promoted to series regular status on the CBS drama — and we’ve got a first look at the new addition to Gibbs’ team.

RELATED | NCIS Season 11 Spoilers — Find Out Who’s Returning

Filling the void left by Agent Ziva David’s abrupt departure at the start of Season 11, Wickersham’s character, NSA Analyst Eleanor “Ellie” Bishop, is described as “a mysterious mixture of analytic brilliance, fierce determination and idealism,” someone who specializes in international threat assessment and global preparation.

RELATED | NCIS Boss Discusses Ziva’s Exit: What Changed? Was a Kiss Cut? Could She Return?

Get a first look at Bishop working with Gibbs’ team, then read on for more:

Gut Check
Gut Check

Bishop will be introduced in the Nov. 19 episode of TV’s most watched drama when it is discovered that SecNav was bugged during a confidential briefing — a security breach Bishop predicted two years ago in a threat analysis. Working side-by-side with Gibbs & Co., Bishop will help determine who is behind the crime.

RELATED | NCIS Season 11 Spoilers — When Will Ziva-Less Tony Get His Groove Back?

Explaining the new character’s creation, showrunner Gary Glasberg tells TVLine, “What drew me to Bishop is how she views the world. She looks at things in a global way — and that’s true of personal lives as well as the work.” Meaning, “She will shed some light on everybody, on who our people are, as well on the way that politics and terrorism and crimes are handled. She possesses an interesting mind, an intellectual, smart way to approach doing what this team does — not with kicks and punches and knocking down doors but by really thinking. She’s very much a thinker.”

Wickersham’s previous TV credits include several episodes of FX’s The Bridge (as Annabeth Gish’s wicked stepdaughter) and The Sopranos.

Want more scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (130)

• Bishop is beginning to grow on me. I did not like her in her first NCIS appearance. I loved the Christmas episode! She is more like a “Sister” to Tony and McGee. She is smart and I hope will do well. I still miss Ziva though! I loved watching her relationship with Tony. I hope she does come back next year as a regular again.I have watched NCIS since it’s first season and will continue to watch but it is lacking/missing something this year and I think it is Ziva!

Comment by Hope19 – December 28, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s really a shame to have ruined the NCIS television series with the new character, Ellie Bishop. All of a sudden, Gibbs has totally lost his edge and he is wimp to her super intelligence. The show seems now to revolve around her. Anthony and Tim’s characters have taken on pale roles where there was once depth and spark. It’s not a show to look forward to any longer. How very sad.

Comment by Linda – January 7, 2014 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, the more I see Bishop’s role and the way they are forcing the scripts to make her fit, the less her character fits. Tony’s character is regressing, Gibbs is not teaching by example, Tim seems to be regressing too all to fit this human robot into the show.
    Plus, she is just plain annoying – as a female, I really resent writers thinking women can’t be well rounded and smart at the same time.
    I’ll watch it for now, but if the writers let the Gibbs’ character go – they can probably watch their audience go with it.

Comment by May – January 7, 2014 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The more I see the character of Bishop and now a girl friend/college the more I dislike the characters and plots.Everyone is more childish, less focused and far less believable.
    The more I see the show the more I yearn for less bizarre characters.

Comment by May – January 14, 2014 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCSI is BORING without Ziva! I would rather see no replacement and use Duckie, Abby, and Palmer more. The replacement adds nothing but boredom to NCSI. I wonder if NCSI will remain #1— I don’t think it wil!

Comment by Carla – January 29, 2014 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you. The more I see this character the less I like her. She brings nothing to the show.

Comment by May – January 29, 2014 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can SOMEONE please dye her eyebrows blonde or make her hair brown? I can’t even concentrate on her words because those dark eyebrows are so prominent!!!

Comment by Nancy – February 5, 2014 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I noticed that too. It must have been more obvious this week, roots were blonde -eyebrows dark brown – really?!
      I know this is rather petty, but with everything else I don’t like about the character this grates even more.

Comment by May – February 5, 2014 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How sad; she is not so good – no chemistry and too contrived.

Comment by dylan – February 6, 2014 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Ziva, there is no chemistry, she doesn’t have that strong personality. No dark side and I think thats what we loved about Ziva, dark side gone good!! Assassin turned good guy!! She is more like Gibb’s daughter!! Nay!! don’t like character

Comment by jag – February 6, 2014 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ziva DIDN’T have a GOOD SIDE….she was ALWAYS DARK & BROODING….didn’t know HOW to be a TEAM MEMBER….there is NO “I” IN “TEAM”….something ziva didn’t understand….she was ALLOWED to get away with MURDER….while anyone else on the team or in the agency, would have been CHARGED.

Comment by Alisa Neely – February 6, 2014 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bishop has got to go! I cannot not watch NCIS as long as she is on. She is extremely irritating and her character is beyond belief.

Comment by Haleyjade – February 13, 2014 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not sure why Ziva had to leave the show. What really happen? I like the girl. But where is Ziva. I really want her back anyway. I heard it was the network flout. Someone answer????

Comment by Dianna Jenks – March 3, 2014 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The last episode of NCIS had Bishop get away with something no one else would be allowed to! Tired of this character!!! The character of Gibbs would NOT at this point suddenly think of this idiot savant character as a daughter substitute – if that is where the writers think they are going to take this lousy storyline.
    The writers have emasculated the men and made all the characters less intelligent, thereby guaranteeing that the whole show is now less interesting and making me less interested in watching.
    I will finish watching this season, with hope, but if next season continues in this vein, I will have to bid a fond farewell to NCIS.

Comment by May – March 3, 2014 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bishop is not a good role at all, she is not a character as she is too serious and if she keeps going around telling people what is going to happen, the crew will knock her off.
    CBS production company made a big mistake with her but so what else is new. NCIS will be cancelled in two years. Jethro predicts she will replace everyone before she is through. EEHAW!

Comment by Robert H Weymouth Jr – March 15, 2014 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post