How I Met Your Mother Recap: Ted and The Mother Share an Iconic Moment

How I Met Your Mother Ted Proposes The MotherAfter weeks of being Mother-less, How I Met Your Mother finally welcomed back Ted’s future wife in Monday’s episode in a scene so romantic, even the mention of vomit couldn’t ruin it.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother: Questions to Answer Before Series Finale

While the episode didn’t quite knock it out of the park comedically, the emotional moments were a sweet reminder of HIMYM‘s heart-on-its-sleeve style. And this week, there were several touching exchanges to choose from. We also received a long-awaited answer to whether Robin told Barney about her infertility.

But I propose we start with Ted and The Mother. In the present timeline, the bachelor takes Anna Camp’s Cassie to the top of a romantic lighthouse, but their “date” is a dud. Worse yet, Ted feels like he’s wasted the lighthouse on the wrong girl.

RELATED | CBS Eyes How I Met Your Mother Spin-Off

But not two years later, Ted is there with The Mother, who remarks that the view is like going back in time (Ted’s exact same words from his first trip up there). She’s not sure what could make the moment better, and that’s when Ted gets down on bended knee.

“Will you –“

“Yes!” she replies before he can even get the words out. As he finishes his sentence, she continues, “Yes! Yes!”

It’s such a beautiful proposal scene, it makes you wonder why it’s taken us this long to get another glimpse of Cristin Milioti as The Mother in any timeline. Even her throwaway line, “When you vomit, I vomit,” oozes charm.

Meanwhile, back in the present, Robin and Loretta are feuding again, which leads to Barney’s mother learning that her future daughter-in-law can’t have kids. Barney tells her he found out last fall — so before he proposed, right? — and that he’s “marrying a girl who means more to me than kids.” Added bonus: In flashback, we finally get to see Robin confessing the news to him, to which he replies, “Really?” before giving her a big hug.

Robin also gets another warm embrace after finding out that her mother isn’t attending the wedding because she was too scared to get on the plane. Loretta hugs her and tells her to always call her “Mom.”

HIMYM fans, what did you think of Ted’s big proposal? When he said “not two years later,” does that mean it’s during the same timeline as the season premiere flash-forward, or did he bring The Mother to Farhampton a second time? And are you relieved to see Robin and Loretta bury the hatchet?

1. jerry says:

boring episode until the Mother scene.. I miss McLarens and the gang together in New York, the season is starting to drag but i hope it picks up soon. .still love the show

2. Why would i have any reaction? it isn’t as if we’ve seen them together in any meaningful way before.

• Jorge Mayta says:

I totally agree… if you compare the proposal between Robin and Barney… this moment kind of sucks

• Exactly. We were waiting for Barney and Robin to be together for a long time and we were happy when it happened. There were 2 whole episodes dedicated to it. This was ridiculous. They threw the proposal in there at the end. I have a feeling that once this show ends it will forever be known as How Barney and Robin Met and Fell In Love While Ted Searched for The One. Much longer title, but more indicative of its content.

3. mg714 says:

The timing with the proposal confused me a little too. He brought her back to the inn at the end of the premiere a year later, but the proposal was two years later. And their daughter was born 2 years later too (Time Trilogy).

• lariet50 says:

Glad I’m not the only one who this bugged. Who needs a continuity editor when you have the fans at TVLine, amiright?

• madhatter360 says:

The daughter thing could be explained as them having a kid before marriage except he was wearing a wedding ring in the trilogy time flashforward.

• GeoDiva says:

Ted would never have a baby out of wedlock. If she got pregnant before, he would have proposed immediately and they would have eloped.

• Josh says:

She could have been a couple of pregnant at this point and Ted did not know. The baby was only a few months old so that could be the explanation.

• Tammy says:

maybe they come back every year on their anniversary!

• stella says:

he said it wasn’t 2 years later, so It could make sense. this show is incredibly on point with continuity so I don’t think they would let that slip. even in the finale if he says 2 years later it will 2 years from barney and robins wedding weekend, not may 2014 when the episode airs because of the way this season Is being done

• Daw Johnson says:

This is the show that said Barney never learned to drive and then like an episode later had him driving a moving truck. It had Marshall freak out when the gay guy was hitting on Lily, noting, “I’ve never been in a fight before….” only to reveal a few seasons later that he was in these fight club style brawls with his brothers as a kid.

It cares about continuity, but it’s definitely not “incredibly on point.”

As for the error in this episode.

*Bog Saget’s voice over said “not 2 years later,” which is a colloquialism meaning the same as “only 2 years later.”

And even if that was ambiguous, during the discussion with the Mother, he says, “Why couldn’t I have been with YOU two years ago?” So…there’s no debate – this scene was two years after the wedding.

*We know the wedding takes place in May 2013. That means the proposal is in the spring of 2015.

*From Trilogy Time, we know that Ted is married w/ his daughter in 2015. Based on when that episode aired, we have every reason to assume it was April 2015 – but even if they want to say it was December 2015, it would still be a stretch given Cristin Milioti’s character wasn’t showing in the proposal scene.

• Kat says:

Never heard that “not two years later” is a colloquialism that actually means “only two years later.” It simply means less than two years later. To me, it would have sounded strange if Ted had said something like “19 months later…” I think if they meant exactly two years, Ted would have said 2 years. JMO

• Solo4114 says:

He did. That’s the point. Ted, in the moment, says “Why couldn’t it have been YOU two years ago?” when he’s on the lighthouse with the Mother.

Based on Future Ted’s voiceover, and Ted’s words in the scene, that scene takes place in 2015, which basically screws up the timeline. Also, Ted’s wearing a wedding ring in Trilogy Time. It’s tough to see, but it’s there if you watch him as he pats the baby he’s holding.

I think they just screwed up. I hope that’s the case, anyway, because I don’t like the notion of them trying to explain this away. It’d likely ruin the characters involved and it creates additional needless drama in a season already chock full of time-wasting nonsense.

4. Jenny says:

It was a great episode all around! So glad they finally addressed the infertility episode! And having the mother add so much to the episode! I hope that we see her a lot more in the coming episodes!

5. elena2.0 says:

I really like this season !!!

6. Darth Pablo says:

For me, the season is kinda dragging along. Not sure doing the whole weekend as the whole season is working. The last scene was beautiful, and when I watched it, I got the feeling that the mother is dead. We are seeing special moments with Ted and the mother and they are going to show more, to bring us up on this special high, to just break our hearts at the end. It kind of reminds me of The Fault in our Stars

7. Jon says:

Well we know by Spring 2015 his daughter is in the picture so assuming she was born after the marriage it had to be less than two years.

8. jenna says:

it bothers me how we’ve seen more of daphne than the mother. I like that the season has focused on Barney and Robin’s issues (barney choosing between robin and his family, barney and robin working together etc.) however while its nice that these issues come across as subtle throughout the episodes it just comes across as a lot of filler.

9. Spencer says:

Feuding is spelt incorrectly… But anyway I really love the episode and I’m excited to see how the series ends!

• RockGolf says:

No, no, it’s definitely fueding. A combination of feuding and feeding. Especially the feeding of scrambled eggs.
      Don’t worry, Spencer, rookie mistake. You’ll do better next time.

10. Lauren says:

Didn’t robin tell Barney she couldn’t have children in a bathroom in lily and Marshall’s home on Long Island?

• That’s what I thought too, but maybe she just told him that she wasn’t pregnant at that point. I’ll have to re-watch that episode on Netflix later.

• OliveMonster says:

No, she told him she thought she was pregnant with his kid, after their one night deal, when she cheated on Kevin. By the end of the episode, then she knew she couldn’t have kids, and hid it from everyone, until the double date trip with Lily & Marshall.

I had just assumed she had told him off screen after they got engaged, as in the premier when they are freaking out about possibly being blood related, he says to her something like, “It could still work, we know we’re not going to have kids.”

So, I guess it was before the proposal, which I guess is why she didn’t do the whole, ‘Are you sure you want to marry me if you can’t have kids’ thing on-screen, like she did with Kevin, cause she knew her and Barney were on the same page.

11. DarkDefender says:

I liked the episode and even geared up when the proposal came.. It was perfect.

12. erin says:

Barney and Robin flashback made me love them even more, Robin and Loretta hugging made me “awwww”, and Ted proposing to the Mother did absolutely nothing for me. I just don’t like her, no real reason why. I feel like I’m the only one who doesn’t care about her at all.

• Lauren says:

Erin, you aren’t the only one. The mother is rather ‘blah’ so far.

• EWJ says:

I’m so happy you said this I almost thought I was alone in this. Almost everyone is gushing over the mother and I really don’t care…

• Gupy says:

Maybe because Ted and The Mother don’t have good chemistry. With Ted and Robin’s scene holding hands in the park, sparks were flying all over the place. Even Lily and The Mother had better chemistry in their scene together.

13. Dani says:

The first episode that I kinda liked this season. I rolled my eyes when the crap between Robin and Loretta continued but was pleasantly surprised that it was turned around by the episode’s end. The proposal was very sweet and the chemistry between Ted and The Mother is amazing. I hope we finally see more from her and don’t have to wait another couple of weeks. I still can’t with that Daphne girl. I want Marshall back with the others ASAP. This road trip is just stupid. I also miss the gang sitting together in McLarens. It would have been better to not spend the entire season on this one weekend. Makes the show seem weak at a time where people should be excited for every episode up until the series finale.

14. Chrs says:

WAIT. WAIT FOR IT. Ponder this for a moment. That proposal supposedly takes place two years from this point in the show, so May 2015. But in The Trilogy Time episode, in the flash forward to 2015, Ted and The Mother already have their daughter. If that episode’s flash forwards are pin-point, then that flash forward happens in April 2015 (The Trilogy Time episode aired in April 2012). So, if I’m right, that Trilogy Night w/Baby Leia Mosby, happens before Ted proposes to The Mother. So….did Ted and The Mother have a baby before they got engaged???

• OliveMonster says:

He says, ‘Not two years later,’ which I take to be, less than two years time, cause it has ‘not’ even been two years.

Their first time coming back is for their one year anniversary, like the premier showed, right? May 2014. . .so maybe 6 months or so after they decide to go back? A one year and a half-iversary, I wouldn’t put something like that past Ted. . .plus, I bet that’s their favorite place to go, seeing as they met there.

So, I’d say the time frame is under 2 years — 1 year and something months. Then say a month or two until the wedding, I would bet they want to do it quick. Wedding, honeymoon. . . .baby is made, lol.

Plus, does it ever say specifically that they watch it the EXACT time every 3 years? It might not be to the date, it might just be sometime every 3 years. So, if say the wedding is by the end of 2014, then baby would be born late 2015. They can still watch the Trilogy, plus maybe they postponed it with The Mother being pregnant anyway, Ted would be so obsessed with caring for her. Pluuus, that baby was TINY, she was barely a month old, so it would be right after she’s born.

• OliveMonster says:

Or it could just be on their first anniversary, like we saw in the premier. Again, ‘not’ two years. They couldn’t say ‘not’ one, that’s passed, and ‘not’ one and a half years later, sounds ridiculous to say as an important voice over plot point.

• Daw Johnson says:

Nope.

Even if you want to nitpick over the “not two years” thing, Ted explicitly says “two years ago” when speaking to Milioti.

So they clearly meant the scene takes place in the spring of 2015.

• Nate says:

When they camera is zooming out, it looks like it’s in the early stages of autumn, so I would say it’s probably around early October at the time of the proposal. He simply says “two years ago” because he rounds up (yes I know that it would be less than 1.5 years ago, but whatever). For the Trilogy Time question, they definitely don’t watch it exactly every 3 years. One of the times we see them watching it is when Barney and Robin are secretly dating, and that occurred during the summer of 2009, so when they watch it isn’t always in April as depicted in 2012. This could explain the baby being born already and them viewing the trilogy in say December 2015.

15. Tony says:

You know. I thought about triogy time also. But I have faith in the writers. This will be explained in a futer episode.

My bet……… “When you vomit, I vomit”. She’s allready pregnant and dose not know it yet!

That makes it match with trilogy time because it takes place during winter finals

• Daw Johnson says:

I don’t remember if “Trilogy Time” took place during Winter or Spring finals, but there’s no way the 2012 edition took place during the winter since Barney was still with Quinn. So it obviously doesn’t ONLY happen in the winter- and I certainly assumed the 2015 flashback was meant to be 3 years after the episode aired (in April 2012).

16. Rebecca says:

I’m so sick of Marshall being on that stupid road trip. If he could just magically appear in “Farhampton” and if we can get more scenes with the Mother then I would be loving this season.
    Loved the proposal scene until I realized the timeline doesn’t add up. I hate when shows do that.

• Jon says:

Doesn’t it, right now 2013, daughter is born in 2015. So if they got engaged a year and a half later thats Fall 2014, and if they got pregnant right away it works.

• DarkDefender says:

It’s like the 21st Century.. People can have sex and get pregnant before getting married.. Not.A.Big.Deal.

• Jon says:

Sure just doesn’t seem like something Ted would do, still kind of old fashioned.

• John 1138 says:

The list of women Ted has slept with is rather endless. The pregnant part? Accidents happen.

Why do you think his daughter wound up being an international assassin and his son thinks he’s a wizard? The trauma of listening to their father’s endless hookups “before” he met heir mother. :)

17. Sarah says:

doesn’t the wedding take place in may 2012? since this season picked up right after last season? meaning they get engaged in 2014 and the daughter is born in 2015?

18. Sarah says:

oh woops nevermind that would be may 2013!

19. Bill Nye the Science Guy says:

Would it be impossible to get the main 5 actors to act in one scene together before the season is over?

• ThatBob says:

Presumably this whole road trip was concocted as a way to have Jason Segel in every episode without his needing to be on the set every week — multiple weeks worth of car scenes could be shot at the same time and inserted as needed. He has a film in production currently.

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

Bingo – once Jason wraps up the film, he’ll ‘arrive’ at the wedding and we’ll start to see scenes will all five characters – and more ‘mother’. The show has really relied heavily on Barney-Robin thus far in S9, but the ratings are holding up well. That’s all good. Once Jason gets back into the fold, more Marshall-Lily scenes, more Barney-Ted-Marshall stuff, Ted-Mother, maybe even some Ted-Robin scenes, the show will finish strong. We may well see viewership back in the double-digits (10m-11m+), with demo pushing upwards near 4.0. That would be a very nice finish for the series in winter/spring 2014 and CBS will be doing cartwheels.

20. JW says:

Loved this episode, love the entire season. Of course Marshall was gonna get The Proclaimers on the radio (ARMS IN THE AIR, VICTORY, YES!). The battle between Barney’s Mom and Robin had the perfect tender ending. And they actually gave us the proposal….no waiting, no teasing. He did it. Cue tears. Milioti is perfect as The Mother, perfect.

21. Mandy says:

Loved the reveal with Robin unable to get pregnant and that Barney knew before he asked. Of course he would marry her anyway. That is what has always made him the better for Robin than Ted ever was.
    Also, so great to finally see Ted and the Mother together. I hope we get more sneak peaks like that.

22. Mike R. says:

Loved the return of the mother, but hopefully we don’t have to wait another 6 episodes to see her again. Barney and Robin’s storyline was especially strong considering they have been the weak link for the majority of season 9, so I was glad they reminded us what makes them a great couple after weeks of giving us doubt that they should even be together.

• put them at the same location says:

Okay Mike if you think Barney and Robin have been the weak link… what do you call the Marshall storyline? not saying Barney and Robin has been great, but that story has been much better than the colossal mistake known as the Marshall roadtrip.

• Mike R. says:

Not great, but still better than retread after retread of Barney and Robin doubting their relationship, and then by episode end all is well again until the next episode. At least Daphne and Marhsall provided some laughs. It’s my opinion of course.

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

I agree 100% – the difficulty with the Barney-Robin sequences in S9 is that there is very little ‘tension’ left to play out between the two. They are getting married – they have to get along, any problem they may have has to be resolved quickly – the wedding is a day or so away. Their story arc has played itself out – basically, they are ‘running out the clock.’ No fault of the actors or writers, it’s just that that story [albeit a wonderful story] has pretty much been told. The Lily-Marshall story still has some life left [Rome or no Rome, judgeship or no judgeship?], but probably only enough to just get to the finish line in May.

I know I sound like a broken record, but as I watch each episode, I’m waiting for scenes with Ted – his story still has quite a bit left to unfold with (IMO) *both* the mother and Robin. That’s where the action in the story resides the rest of the way, and we await those episodes. Those are where the larger story arcs reside – answers still remaining. Does Robin find out about the locket, about the Ted-Victoria breakup, about Ted moving to Chicago? These are core questions that will be answered by May. I know many fans hate to hear this, but it is the Ted-Robin-Mother story line that will pack the punch at the end of this series in May – the other story lines are completed, and by design, they are just ‘running out the clock’ until the Ted-Robin-Mother sequences take place. That trio is the core of this story of HIMYM.

23. Goodbye Universe Guy says:

A nice episode – a nice Barney-Robin flashback. However, when I saw that scene of Robin telling Barney she will not be able to have any children, I kept thinking back to ‘The Drunk Train’ episode 7.16, when Robin tells both Kevin and Ted that she can’t have children. That ‘Drunk Train’ episode, as well as the following episode, ‘No Pressure’, ep 7.17, are two of the best in the series – those Robin/Ted scenes in those two episodes are hard to match for pure drama. The bar is set very high, and every time I see a Robin-Barney scene this season, I catch myself recalling similar Ted-Robin scenes of years ago. Hard to forget that chemistry, regardless of how that relationship eventually ended.

24. Jon says:

Zed Zed Top, Silly Canadians

25. Maki says:

WHAT GREAT CHEMISTRY BETWEEN TED AND THE MOM!!!! I was stunned how perfect they were together. It is a real shame we won´t get to see them get together.

26. cyclone says:

i don’t really mind the episodes, I am just ticking them off until the end. What annoys me is they made such a big fuss that the mother would be a regular this season and we have only seen her 2 times.
    I would have loved if they wrote her in all the episodes and her and Ted for whatever reason always missing each other in a scene like Ted leaves the front desk just as the mother approaches.
    And why hasn’t Lily mentioned anything about meeting this girl on the train, at least to Robin like a “hey I met the bass player of your wedding band on the train”. It also would be good if she could have more interaction with Lily or the others before meeting Ted too (which was rumored before the season started but I haven’t seen anything yet).

• A.B. says:

I don’t think they actually discussed that they were going to the same wedding. I can’t remember if the mother said she was playing at a wedding but I’m pretty sure Lily said she was going to a friends wedding. And I don’t think the mother would be staying at the same hotel either so I don’t think they will just run into each other. However it would have been nice if lily would have mentioned her on the off chance like when she was trying to get Robin a new girlfriend for when she leaves.

27. neha says:

I was actually expecting more from the big proposal scene – maybe I just had high expectations, because I LOVED their first scene together.

28. Waffles says:

I am getting tired of Lily and Marshall not being together. Hopefully that car trip ends soon. Its about a 9 hour drive but that could be 3 episodes the way this season is going. As a Clevelander, it’s always fun and a bit jarring to hear Cleveland references in the show as made by Ted’s dad, Tri-C, Van Aken, Coventry, Record Rev. All places I’ve frequented. But if you aren’t from around here, those phrases mean less than nothing.

• A.B. says:

If Marshall is driving from Minnesota( I think that’s where he was) to New York that’s a 22 hour drive not 9 hours. Plus stops required to take care of the baby. Not sure how many hours have passed from the start of the countdown but he probably still has a way to go.

29. Shar says:

The proposal was lovely and I’ve long since given up on any continuity from this or most shows. I’m still hoping Robin’s Mom shows up and it’s.. wait for it….. Kim Cattrell.

30. Sara says:

While I liked the proposal scene, it felt a bit empty too. I wish we were seeing actual present time interactions mixed in flashwards between Ted and the Mother. We know the ‘endgame’ of them being married and having children but I would rather see them actually meet in the present and learn how they fell in love with each other.

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

I thought the same thing – a really nice Ted-Mother moment at the lighthouse, but without the ‘back story’ of how they reached that point, that wonderful lighthouse scene doesn’t have the same whollop that it could have had. Nevertheless, something better than nothing I guess. When Ted made that proposal on one knee to the Mother, for a moment, I heard Robin’s voice – ‘No.’ ;) Or Sarah’s for that matter. It is nice to see Ted happy and finally getting to that end state in his marital goals, but the ghosts of Robin, Sarah and Victoria are always within earshot, some closer than others.

31. Goodbye Universe Guy says:

Ooops – meant to type ‘Stella’ rather than ‘Sarah.’

32. jj says:

best line of the night was Robin’s pronunciation of ZZ Top as Zed Zed Top lol

33. Jen says:

There’s now a timing issue– if Ted proposes in 2 years it’s Fall of 2015. The Trilogy Time episode shows Ted with an infant daughter in 2015. Ruh roh…

• Jon says:

He said not two years later, so could be a year. Even if two its spring of 2015 as the wedding takes place spring of 2013.

34. Azerty says:

I love the mother, she is really great, but as Lily could say “not good enough”. This episode was okay and I tought the last scene was good, not awesome. The season is supposed to be the season to fall in love with the mother but I have the feeling the writers just give “random” scenes of Ted and the mother just to say “hey we did want you wanted, we gave you the most important parts” and it was sweet, no doubt about that but without any build up it seems pointless in my opinion.

35. Fernanda says:

for me the twist of an predictable finale is that the mother is actually dead

• John 1138 says:

The kids don’t look nearly upset enough were that to be the plan.

Plus ending on such a dark, depressing note would KILL syndication views. Opening with a day of the funeral set piece? Yeah that would drag in the comedy seekers. Not.

36. Gerald says:

The Hug for Robin from Barney and his mom were the sweetest thing. Almost made me cry.

37. Jason says:

The only thing dragging this season is the Marshall storyline, he just needs to get to the wedding. Outside of that everything else is great, now just waiting to see what her name is.

38. Peach says:

The comedy was off but the emotional stuff was good. Robin gets all mah love.

39. Ashley says:

I could see Ted proposing already having the wedding planned and be able to do it in a week or two, particularly if she was pregnant (which is possible, some women take a while to show).

It’s probably just a goof, or a poor choice of words (“not two years” could mean ‹ 2 years or exactly 2 in a colloquial manner).

40. Ella says:

Frankly, I am still appalled at Robin even SPEAKING to her future mother-in-law that way. It wasn’t funny, it was just rude and cringeworthy.

41. Kit says:

The Marshall roadtrip MUST end soon. Hello, you’re driving through/past all these major metroplexes (Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland) & neither of them thinks, “Hey, why don’t we try to hop a plane from here rather than keep this car ride going?” The management of Marvin has been completely forgotten, too. Have any of the writers tried traveling with a baby? It’s preposterous that they haven’t tried another flight already. I’m getting really annoyed by the lack of reality while they try to stretch out one weekend into a season. Marvin & the Mother are just set pieces to me. I do, however, love the front desk people being Roger Bart & Murray from Flight of the Conchords, & hope that we continue to have cute cameos from them.