Castle Recap: Father/Daughter Dance -- Plus: Why There Hasn't Been a Big Alexis/Kate Scene

Castle Recap Rick AlexisThis week on ABC’s Castle, an unexpected collaboration — between Rick and Alexis, as they endeavored to save an innocent death row inmate from execution — paved the way for a father/daughter reconciliation. But did Alexis make peace with Beckett as well?

RELATED | Castle Boss Previews Pi’s Future, ‘Caskett’ Cohabitation and More

This recap will be admittedly light, seeing as local news coverage of the Garden State Plaza mall shooting preempted much of the Castle broadcast. But most simply put, Alexis — who’d been working with her criminology professor on an innocence Review case, on behalf of a man on death row in Pennsylvania for the brutal killing of a female neighbor — somewhat begrudgingly turned to her father for help, to see if his fresh eyes, as a mystery writer/NYPD consultant, might spy a new clue.

The accused, Frank, was working on his car when he heard screams next door. Rushing into his neighbor Kim’s house, Frank, we would ultimately learn, found his mentally impaired brother standing over the dead body. Assuming his brother did the killing, Frank sent him out of the house, only to get pinched himself. Frank had kept his brother’s seeming guilt to himself, and refuses to share the info even to his own benefit. So things looked grim, until Rick spies a clue — a charm found under the victim’s body, meaning it belonged to the killer. After tracking down checks paid to Kim as a tutor, Castle and Alexis confront local lawman Teddy Lane, who years ago was a wannabe meth cook, and was using Kim to hone his chemistry skills. Kim got wind of Teddy’s hobby, so he silenced her — losing his swim team “dolphin” charm in the process.

RELATED | Castle Creator Clears the Air on Trimmed Love Scene and the ‘Final Season’ Rumor

As Frank had his death sentence vacated in court, a proud Rick — who earlier had exchanged “I’m sorry’s” with Alexis, over their spat — told his not-so-little girl, Castle Alexis Beckett“What you did was amazing.” But Alexis declined to stick around to celebrate with Frank, seeing as she had someone else to thank. And back at the 12th, we then see (yet do not hear) the tail end of an Alexis/Beckett conversation, consummated with a hug — as a pleased Rick looks on.

Interestingly/somewhat serendipitously, I just the other day asked Castle creator Andrew W. Marlowe why, given Alexis’ “issues” with her father’s engagement/alleged reservations about Kate, the two women didn’t just lay any cards on the table and talk it out. Here’s what he said:

I’ve never been fan of the ‘soap opera expressions,’ where everybody lays all of their emotions on the table, because that’s not how it happens in real life until you get to a crisis point. That’s not who Beckett is, and that’s not who Alexis is…. I think that neither of them knows what the other one thinks of them, and neither of them, if the other one said what they thought, would particularly trust it. I think that they both have territorial instincts and they have to work together to figure it out, because they recognize that each of them is giving the person they love something that they can’t.

What did you think of this week’s episode, “Like Father, Like Daughter”?

1. Jon says:

Glad to see Alexis’s days of being a spoiled brat may be done.

• xoxoprgossipgirl says:

i wouldn’t say spoiled brat, but she was too perfect and never gave Rick trouble at all.She was the adult and he was the kid

• Stephanie Weissinger says:

Thank god, you can get that kind of drama anywhere anyday. I love Castle for everything it is AND everything it isn’t

2. Shane Saylor says:

I would personally like see a short video of the interaction between Alexis & Kate.

• anon123 says:

respect the process.

• grey says:

I’m with Shane and “the process” in this instance left me, and I think most of the audience, feeling short changed. But Marlowe does that a lot on this show. The most frustrating one for me was when Ryan got married. For weeks they hyped “the wedding episode” and then when it finally aired no wedding! Didn’t even get to see the bride and groom in same frame! I don’t know if he thinks he’s leaving us wanted more with sort of storytelling/technique but he’s wrong. I guess the FanFic writers will have to fill us in on exactly what Beckett and Alexis said to each other. :-/

• jan says:

hate to say this but think your looking into this show the wrong way

• grey says:

Nope. My last line about FanFic was meant as sarcasm but I feel the rest is fair and objective criticism of his storytelling style. I’m not saying he doesn’t have a right to tell his story the way he wants to tell it. I’m just saying I think most of the fans want/need/crave more detail and less subtext – especially six years in. I’m sure it wouldn’t comprise his artistic style too much to be mindful of that *or* at the very least stop setting us up to expect more. I’ve noticed that whether it’s some small thing or a major character development, Marlowe has a tendency to build something up, tell you to watch for it and be all cryptic about its ramifications and then when the episode airs it’s either not there or brushed (i.e. sub texted) over. Pointing that out is not, “looking into the show the wrong way,” it’s illustrating honest frustration as a viewer. In the example I used, Ryan’s wedding episode, I forgot to mention it was everyone connected with the show – Marlowe, et al. – that kept hyping it (all season, btw) as the “wedding episode.” If they hadn’t of done that the expectation of actually seeing the wedding wouldn’t have been there and wouldn’t have left most of us feeling, again, short changed at only getting about ninety seconds of pre-wedding chit chat in the church lobby before the credit roll. I’m just saying.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

This comment earns you 250 TVLine Power User Points (currently of no redeemable value).

• I’m starting to think the writing staff is not up to dialogue like that. Or Marlowe isn’t.
      Hence, the 5-second silent nothing.

Take it and be happy; it’s the best you will get.

3. James D says:

good episode. as anoyed as I still am with the Alexis character I have to admit it was very cool having her be a main part of COW, i’d like to see more of that kind of thing, to me she’s always at her best when the writers give her something to do. instead of using her as a tool to move the plot along. I get where AWM is coming from with regards to the soap opera thing, but i’d really like it if Beckett can get more involved in that side of Castle’s life. I mean she’s going to be the girls step-mother it would be nice to have a scene or two where they can discuss that moving forward, hopefully thelast scene will lead to just that. also loved the Lanie/Beckett scene those are always fun to watch.

• Just one thing says:

“…i’d really like it if Beckett can get more involved in that side of Castle’s life. I mean she’s going to be the girls step-mother it would be nice to have a scene or two where they can discuss that moving forward, hopefully thelast scene will lead to just that. also loved the Lanie/Beckett scene those are always fun to watch.”
      Agreed.

• scooby says:

Alexis is an adult. Yes Kate will be her step mother and should there be little Castle babies it’ll matter to an extent, but Kate won’t be raising Alexis. They have to establish a different relationship but saying ‘let’s sit down and discuss this’ is weird because that doesn’t propel episode plot without being on the nose and feels soap opera-y. I agree with Andrew. You’d do that more for a child living at home for the foreseeable future and over whom the stepmother might have an authority boundary line to figure out with her future husband. Of course they’ve had conversations. Kate spent Christmas with them. During that time I’m sure they talked. It just wasn’t relevant to the story of the episode and would be hard to include without it being forced and seeming like a ‘very special scene of Castle’. Don’t forget, Alexis didn’t really have much of a mother, period. She loves hers but her mom is hardly ever there and hasn’t been for quite some time. If anybody started trying to act like more of a female parental figure to Alexis, it wouldn’t something she’d be used to. I doubt she’s gonna seek out a conversation about that kind of thing, esp, as I said, because Alexis is an adult however immature she may act sometimes. The fact that Alexis took time to acknowledge how Kate helped was huge. The point of us seeing that scene was to see her do that and to see Rick watch it. Hearing the words was unnecessary. We know they happened and it was less cheesy.

• Mary Jo says:

This was one of the best Castle show’s I’ve seen, and yes I watch them all. Was so happy to see Alexis in that role, she did so good. We need to see more of her. What a great future she has.

4. martina says:

While Marlowe saya that he doesn’t believe that people lay all of their emotions on the table in real life, I don’t believe that in real life people resolve their problems in just a day (or 72 hours in this case).

Castle writers certainly do like to build up problems and obstacles for a long run of episodes, but I feel like everything in the show gets resolved within an hour. It happened when Beckett suddenly decided to hook up with Castle in Always, when Castle rapidly decided he wanted to propose to Beckett in Watershed, when Beckett, out of a very convinient set of coincidences, got her job back ay the precinct in Number One Fan and now Alexis just realized she wanted to forgive his dad and make amends with Beckett.

Of course I realize it’s a TV show, so things get twisted the way the writers want to keep things interesting. But it just bothers me when Marlowe says he wants to keep things “real” but that doesn’t apply to every aspect of the show.

• martina says:

Ugh at all the typos and mistakes I made! I typed fast and didn’t bother to check before posting, so I apologize for that.

• Aeol says:

• Aeol says:

This isn’t ’24.’ No TV show breaks down every minor detail and moment, otherwise you’d spend an entire season on one case. It’s another reason shows do time jumps, you’ve got to move the story along or else people will be complaining it’s dragging. They get 42 minutes per week to tell the story. In this case, they literally had 72 hours to save a man’s life. If you’re going to tell every moment of that, it would take 3 seasons. Otherwise, it would be just like a soap opera, with one afternoon of a day stretched out over five episodes. I mean, there are weddings on soap operas that take three weeks. You just can’t do that in prime time, on any show. Castle is a COTW show. You’ve got to solve the case.

• Becks says:

I’d point out that over the course of the ep Castle mentions that Alexis hasn’t been talking to him for weeks. things like that are often referenced in a throwaway line. Also, think back all the way to season 2 when Lanie and Espo had convo’s about the possibility of a relationship with Castle. Just because it’s not explicably spoken in the middle of an important scene doesn’t mean things have suddenly happened. I can go back to almost every example you give and show several details that have indicated a buildup to, or preparation for, the event itself.

• Just one thing says:

I agree. There is nothing “soap opera” about Alexis and Kate talking it out. There would have been nothing “soap opera” about Kate showing admiration did Alexis’ deed and telling her about Johanna’s career when she was alive, considering the similarities.
      The idea that they’ve avoided any decent scene between those two for years because of that is…. Just laughable.
      But whatever. The “soap opera” logic makes as much sense as likening any sexuality/sensuality to HBO.

• Jon88 says:

I also don’t believe that people constantly refer to each other by their last names. I guess we have to make allowances.

• scooby says:

In that case you need to go watch The X-Files, then repeat to self “I Want to Believe.” Cop shows constantly have people calling each other by their last name. Just because you start dating someone doesn’t meant you’re not used to using the person’s last name for the last 4 years. Sometimes they switch and use Kate or Rick but it’s an important personal moment when they do which is just fine.

5. Jen says:

I want to see and hear the conversation between Kate and Alexis. It doesn’t have to be a big argument or “crisis point,” just a normal conversation even to show that they’re both making an effort to integrate into each other’s lives. That was one of my biggest problems with Alexis’ little outburst at te end of last week’s ep, she said she accepted Beckett in her father’s life, but have we seen them in a scene together since the birthday party, let alone a scene where they actually sat down and talked to each other? I don’t count the bedroom scene in the hostage ep, Alexis essentially ignored Beckett when handing the phone to her father.

On the whole I liked Alwxis more in this ep than I have lately. Pi just brings out the worst in her, since he’s mainly to there to provoke a reaction from Castle. She actually showed some growth and maturity over the episode.

While I was glad to see Kate acknowledge that there’s an issue with integrating into the Castle family with Lanie, as I said above I want to see those conversations with Castle and Alexis. Maybe we’ll get more as other milestones like moving in together and future kids are discussed?

6. I really liked the episode and I was glad that I was able to find it online since it could be awhile before it shows up on demand. i’m happy that no one seems to have gotten hurt in NJ, but it would have been nice if ABC waited until it had some details before cutting into the episode, because they didn’t actually get any real info until after the show ended.

7. Ria says:

That’s just an easy way out because the writers/show are lazy. No wonder nothing makes sense the past couple of seasons… they’re all over the place. Remember Beckett lying to Castle about DC and the whole garbage that went down in the finale… only we came back this season and everything was peachy rosy. They threw Beckett under the bus for some contrived garbage and the fail that was a proposal. Geez the showrunners have some weird “real life” issues — first he said Caskett kissing etc is a private thing that the audience shouldn’t see and now laying emotions on the table is a real life thing so the audience shouldnt see that either. LOL okay. Whatever, this is just Marlowe and co. easy way out from the mess they put themselves in. They tied it all up with a big shiny bow and the audience is left thinking what the heck they just watched (and sadly we wasted episodes on garbage that was pointless in the end). Great job team Castle…. /not

8. DarkDefender says:

I enjoyed the episode, I didn’t think the car scene was weird (I found it funny) and I’m glad Castle and Alexis hugged it out. It was also refreshing to see Kate support and be there for Castle (much like she did in Target/Hunt) and rally the troups to help out.
    This season (over all) has been solid so far.. It has been way more Castle centric and as a fan, I appreciate that.
    “Number One Fan” so far has been my favorite and a near perfect episode. I’d put this week’s episode a strong third, after “Time Will Tell.”

• Apples says:

I agree with you. TWT and NOF have been my favourites too. I think this ranks alongside NTK in the next tier.

• LL624 says:

I thought the car scene was funny too. Castle and Alexis reacted the same way the fans did.
      I wasn’t expecting much since I’m not a fan of episodes focused on secondary characters, but this turned out to be a really good episode. The silent and brief Kate/Alexis talk was the only disappointment. And Molly was even better in this ep than Target/Hunt, imo.

9. Dave says:

As usual loved it.. now lets get moving on planning the wedding please!

• Aeol says:

I love this show but if it becomes all about wedding planning, I’m over it. If they send Kate dress-shopping at Kleinfeld with Martha and Randy Finoli, I may get very angry at this show for the first time.

• Dave says:

Would you mind terribly if there were a few seconds in just a few of the eps where there are a few scenes where they can sit down and at least talk about planning the wedding? Would that be so wrong? Or would you be over it then as well?

10. K says:

Molly Quinn’s acting was amazing. The scene where frank told her it was over broke my heart because Alexis didn’t want to see her friend be executed. It was raw and heartbreaking. Castle so badly wanted to reach out and hug his daughter, but he knew that despite helping her out nothing had really changed between them. Castle is the victim of “abuse” not Alexis. Castle has been mistreated by Beckett and Alexis. Castle is the most patient mms ever. He asks for nothing in return. Castle is allowed to be protective of Alexis. His daughter was kidnapped. Castle isn’t just going to let that go.

11. Lilu says:

nice episode. I’m with castle though, a space wedding would be awesome, and the first of its kind on television ;P

12. Apples says:

Excellent ep. Quinn and Fillion carried this one and totally sold the father-and-daughter connection rebuilding as they worked through the case. Beckett’s scene with Lanie was great and I hope we get a lot more of that this season (also missing Martha and Gates, where are they?).
    Loved how Mrs C-to-be laid down the law at the start then spent the episode supporting Castle and Alexis. Would’ve loved to hear a bit of their conversation at the end, but the gesture was important (Alexis initiated the hug with Beckett) and look of relief and happiness washing over Castle’s face was wonderful. I hope they keep building on that Alexis-Beckett dynamic over the season.
    Nice way to end to end the Alexis arc and a big improvement on last ep, especially the case. I like a solid procedural, and the show needs to have them as its bread-and-butter not “fantastic” cases or Fed/CIA ones, which we’ve had far too much of this season so far.

13. Christina says:

Still holding out hope for a “crisis point” episode where Alexis and Beckett will actually talk. With sound. I know Matt brought it up before, but perhaps a Misery episode really is in order, if not for the sweeps ratings and Kathy Bates cameo, which I would kill for, then at least for the character development.

• Just one thing says:

Apparently expecting a scene between Kate and Alexis, with dialogue we can actually hear, is expecting too much. :-P
      No, seriously, bring on the crisis point, whatever it is. Fans don’t need yelling and throwing of dishes. Fans don’t want a cat fight. There is a MAJOR difference. It’s crazy to me that they don’t see that.

• Christina says:

Agreed! I trust his process though, so maybe he’s got something in mind that we just haven’t anticipated yet. Granted, he’s already put Castle in a lot of danger this season (which I’ve loved), so idk how much more he’s going to give us. Judging from the few eps coming up before break, it’s going to be awhile before Molly and Stana have an on-camera conversation :(

• Just one thing says:

You’re totally right. There may be something coming down the pike that we just don’t know about. MQ said she got to play with the (SPOILER) in 6×10, and that Alexis was written into that storyline to some degree, so maybe there’ll be some shared scenes there.
          However, if, as I suspect, Alexis and Castle share a scene with the (SPOILER) while Beckett is conveniently gone, then I’ll just go back to my initial assumption that Beckett/Castle/Alexis won’t ever interact as much as we’d like. I’m open to being proven wrong, though. In this case, I sincerely hope I am. I don’t want to be b*tching so close to the holidays. :P

• Christina says:

Ha, agreed with you about complaining close to the holidays! I’m hoping for great things from 6×10, but I don’t want to get my hopes up.

• S. says:

Soap opera doesn’t automatically equal dish throwing. Soap opera scenes are on the nose and don’t bother to set things up that have nuance or that you don’t see coming. If you don’t see their scenes coming it’s because they decided not that long before they shot it that someone’s cousin was actually their mother or whatever. Fights happen when in real life a future stepmother and grown stepdaughter doing the kinds of scenes people are expecting would be a little soap opera with a touch of Maury Povich. They’ve had a nice relationship before and they’re adjusting it while figuring out their new roles in Castle’s life. That’s gonna involve small steps not heart to hearts. They like one another as people already.

• Just one thing says:

It’s a cop-out. There have been plenty of heart-to-heart conversations between Castle and Martha, Castle and Alexis, Kate and Jim, Kate and Montgomery, etc. And they’ve all been interwoven or have fit into the episode without feeling on-the-nose. Mainly, because they’re characters who care deeply about one another, and the scene helped propel that character dynamic forward.
          As I said earlier, there are plenty of examples where a heart-to-heart conversation was developed or indirectly linked to the A-story COTW. They managed to do it successfully for years without it ever being considered “soapy.” They could’ve made Alexis and Kate’s conversation about the case on the surface, and interwoven subtext (their fave) to connect it to their awkward relationship.
          It’s just silly and short-sighted to suggest that any direct interaction between Alexis and Kate — two of the three most important people in Castle’s life — can ONLY be a.) silent and left to the audience’s imagination or b.) soapy. With all the different way dialogue can be written and scenes can be structured, and those are the only two modes? That’s just ridiculous.

• Just one thing says:

And I only mentioned “dish-throwing” because Marlowe mentioned it in another interview along the same vein of Alexis/Kate interaction.

• Gerard Jones says:

Molly Quinn’s portrayal of Alexis is so very unlikable. I can barely stand to watch her arrogant, condescending, ungrateful character on my tv screen. Alexis owes her father an apology for so many things that she has said and done this season, but who ends up taking all the blame? Castle, of course! Castle needs to grow a backbone, and put his “haughty princess” in her place. Maybe then Alexis actually would grow up a little.

14. lame says:

This isn’t AWM & CO’s strong suite, they work around those moments. Unlike NCIS which was amazing at having those two to three minuet soul baring, heart wrenching dialogs, these writers do it in subtext or circumvent the moment which is okay. We get what these writers offer and that’s usually quite good. So don’t look for something that you’ll never get and enjoy what we receive.

• Just one thing says:

NCIS does that? Wow. I never would’ve guessed. May need to check it out.
      But yes, lame, I think you’re right: We should enjoy what we’re most likely to receive and not worry about what we don’t. It’s just so frustrating, because while the show’s is good at different and interesting cases this season, I feel like it’s hit a wall where the characters are concerned. Or a ceiling, or something.

• S. says:

Well that was a backhanded compliment. :/

15. Rich Abey says:

Loved the episode! Despite all that has been going on this season, the father-daughter chemistry between Castle & Alexis is as strong as ever. I think their rate of progress has been perfect..not too quick but neither is the distance between them astronomical anymore. Kind of both awesome & disgusting when Castle & Alexis came to the same conclusion & blurted it out at the same time..Awesome cause it showed them both that they are peas of the same pod..Disgusting cause it’s what Castle & Kate have been doing since S1..loved Alexis’ disgusted expression when she realized its her father’s method of having ‘verbal sex’ with Kate! ;)
    Hats off to AM for this satisfying turnaround…pretty sure he pleased a lot of the disgruntled Castle fans out there.
    P.S. Dying to hear what Alexis & Kate were upto!

16. Shaun Ed says:

I actually liked this episode even though I didn’t like how the plot revolved around “innocent convict about to be executed”. I swear, every procedural has done this type of plot. Heck, The Good Wife just did one this season.

It was genuinely heartwarming to see the guy not found guilty even though I knew it was the police officer when they showed him the first time.

I don’t know why the heck they didn’t show Beckett and Alexis talk. It would have been interesting to know especially since that was one of the main points they made in the episodes.

• Just one thing says:

Just add the silent Beckett/Alexis scene to the list of “Things They Build Up and Let Fizzle (with Subtext).”

17. Mary says:

I loved this episode! Loved to see how great Castle and Alexis worked together (made me remember previous seasons when sometimes talking with her was the trigger to solve a case). I found the COW very good and was more interested to see how it was solved than in who the killer was.
    And I think it was a good way to make C/A start to heal their relationship! And both NF and MQ nailed it, but I´d like to stand out MQ because she usually isn´t so much in an entire episode.
    As for the ending, well…I´m not a person who needs to have everything thrown and spoken her way, so the same way I didn´t need to see more in “Always”, I also didn´t feel the need to hear what Kate and Alexis were saying. From my perspective, it was clear Alexis was apologising, Kate was accepting and I could feel the sincerity and warmth in that hug! So, FOR ME, the scene actually worked better this way.

18. Thank God that’s over. Any other stupid subplots still lingering or are we good?

• Lori says:

I’m with you on this.This episode goes on my least favorite list, just like last’s week. Though I enjoyed last week’s case and its National Treasure and Roman Holiday homage.

And don’t pounce on me all at once, but I’m not an Alexis fan. She was fine as a high schooler who said something that would trigger Castle to miraculously solve the COTW, but this grown up Alexis is just annoying and over the top.

And Marlowe, is the only option for a conversation the Soap Opera approach? Try showing character development in subtle and nuanced ways. It’s done all the time elsewhere.

19. Mary says:

Matt, out of curiosity, if this episode was so preempted, will its ratings count to anything? And was ABC the only network with preemptions ? (I´m not american, so I don´t know)…

20. Joe says:

I enjoyed the episode, but come on, we all knew who the killer was; at the exact time when a random character only spoke a couple of lines. The pay difference between an ‘actor’ and an ‘extra’ is > 10x, so I wish the writers could be a bit more creative.

21. Francesc says:

What does mean “Soap Opera”? I’d like to see the conversation between Alexis and Kate. This conversation is Soap Opera? Why?

• Jake says:

Soap operas are daytime television drama series in the U.S. known for being overly dramatic and at times extremely unrealistic in their plots. Marlowe is saying he doesn’t want to show any overly emotionally dramatic scenes where the actors explain and discuss their feelings in great detail.
      (“Soap operas” are called that because they were originally sponsored by soap manufacturers who advertised their products in commercials during the show.)

• Just one thing says:

A conversation is what the writers make of it first, and how the actors execute it. If the writers chose to have Alexis and Kate talk about the case, while adding subtext to their conversation about doggedness, familial sacrifice, whatever, it could have linked the case to their issue, as the writers are known to do.
      If the writers don’t make a scene soapy, and the actors do their job, the scene doesn’t have to feel any different than one between Kate and Lanie. The excuse is lame.

22. cindy says:

loved it – great to see castle doing his thing with little involvement from Beckett – this is why I watch the show!

23. jj says:

This was a great episode. A very good Alexis episode. See, we don’t need Pi. Alexis is so much better without Pi. Please make him vanish to the land of the fruit.

24. Gus says:

As I’ve said before, compare the first 4-5 seasons with season 6 and it’s as if it’s an entirely different show with NO magic between the principals and the lovely relationship between Father and Daughter- that so many parents can relate to- is gone. In my mind, too clever /too cute by half. Question: Does anyone even believe that Castle and Beckett even like each other anymore??? Where is the magic that made us fall in love with this show?

• Apples says:

No magic? Each of the Castle-Beckett interactions (from Beckett squashing any hopes of a wedding in space, to Castle turning to her for support and reassurance after the visit to Henson) was absolutely delightful and very much in line with them as an about to be married couple, for mine.
      IMO the Castle-Beckett relationship and it’s depiction has improved season-upon-season.

• Mary says:

Yes, I do believe Castle/Beckett like, no – LOVE, each other still! The magic is all there, actually I feel it more this season than in S5!

25. stephanie says:

Castle is my favorite show ever, BUT I’m tired of everything between the leads happening off screen and then couldn’t hear what A/K said…yes I can fill in with my imagination but I watch Tv for the visual/audio experience I can use my imagination when not watching tv…throw us a few more bones AWM please….don’t need always but good lord some more caskett and I have been married 27 years and kiss my husband daily and in front of people, at the door, in greeting, or at least squeeze his hand….please AWM no HBO but a little moment or so more please

26. Lauren says:

I’m so tired of this attention to the secondary characters..

27. Allie says:

I think the end scene worked very well. We are supposed to see that scene unfold through Castle’s eyes. He didn’t need to hear what was said, he just needed to see the moment of thanks between Alexis and Kate. And if Castle doesn’t need to hear the words to appreciate the moment, then as a viewer, I don’t need to hear it either. I think this moment was a first step for them, we will see more develop as they get closer to the wedding date. I’m not a fan of episodes that separate our duo, but I thought this one worked well. They did a good job of folding in the rest of the cast when needed.

28. Teri Shannon says:

I still believe that some things need to be heard and seen and since Kate and ALexis have never had a meaningful conversation between the two of them, I would have liked to hear what they were saying to each other in the final scene.

29. lauri5567 says:

I’m still waiting for Kate to say something, and Alexis to make a snarky comment so that Kate finally gets why she’s annoyed. (I’m still betting it’s not calling for months after the shooting.)
    I think my favorite part was the reference to Perlmutter.

• scooby says:

Alexis isn’t mad at Kate, she’s mad at her dad. If the snarky comment’s directed at anybody, it’ll be at the person who didn’t tell her about the dating or engagement. She likes Kate personally. The appreciation of Kate being “the One” was Castle’s responsibility to impart to her. It’s a father/daughter beef so I doubt you’re gonna get a zinger directed to Kate’s face nor is Alexis likely to feel she deserves it.

• lauri5567 says:

I think Alexis has enough anger to go around. I think she’s angry with her father for forgiving Kate and making plans without consulting her. She can have Pi and show her Dad what it’s like to not approve of the significant other & make a place for herself outside their new little family.
        If she had no problems with Kate, then Kate would have been invited to the dinner party.

• John 1138 says:

“then Kate would have been invited to the dinner party.”

Yes presuming that was a deliberate plot choice, and I assume it was, that did seem to be a statement. Given the length of Rick and Kate’s relationship even with a somewhat new “fiancé” status I’d expect the apartment to get christened by both Rick and Kate with Martha. “Family only” get’s tossed as an excuse since Pi, some one known for months, was there, as he should have been of course, but that means a far more open occasion where Becket totally belonged. Cops get called on short notice but I didn’t catch any mention she was called away at the last minute.

• Just one thing says:

As soon as Alexis expressed doubt that Kate was “the one” and compared her to Pi, it was final confirmation that Alexis did not see the value of Castle’s relationship with Beckett and had beef with her. If they didn’t want people to interpret it that way and had no plans to address it again, why keep it in the script?
        It doesn’t matter what Quinn and Marlowe say in interviews to the contrary, and since we never saw or heard Alexis clarify her stance on camera, the issue feels unresolved.
        Just as she was so quick to make that statement, she easily could’ve said to Castle on screen this week, “You know, I was just talking out of my ass about you and Kate,” or something to that effect. But she never did. We can assume she gave Kate her blessing while thanking her, but we’ll never really know for sure.
        Until someone tells us in an interview.

30. scooby says:

I just realized Pi wasn’t on this week. Good times. :)

31. lmjo says:

I’m an irregular viewer of “Castle,” and from that kind of disconnected perspective, I think this episode was clichéd and predictable. It was pretty obvious at the beginning of the episode that Castle and his daughter would somehow prove the man innocent. And the whole idea that they could solve a death penalty case in less than two days just seemed ridiculous. They would look at one crime scene photo and, oh, revelation!

And I don’t know if it was just the dialogue, or a combination of the dialogue and the acting, but so many of their lines seemed unnatural. They seemed like phrases you would only read in an over-dramatic novel.

I normally find “Castle” to be a kind of charming show, but this episode just felt off.

32. act_on_love says:

Wow, this conversation is a sort of microcosm of the human condition, and pardon me if I don’t put all these phrases in quotes, I have a sore pinky:
    I want more secondary characters
    I want fewer secondary characters
    The procedurals are better
    The fanciful episodes are better
    ______ needs to go
    I want to see every single interaction between ___ and___
    I don’t need to see that
    Alexis is a spoiled brat
    Alexis is a normal girl
    I saw right through this case
    I wish it was more like NCIS
    I wish it was more like a soap opera
    What’s a soap opera?
    respect the process (sincere)
    respect the process (sarcastic)
    I can’t believe anyone is still watching this show
    I’m never watching this show again
    I fast-forward through the parts with _____
    I can’t believe everyone isn’t watching this show.

Our comments say so much about ourselves… no matter where we go, there we are.

Apparently I’m an amused & analytical observer ;-) This might be why I like Castle so much. Despite the central characters being powerful, charismatic, intelligent people, they have a sense of being on the outside, looking in. I’m pretty sure that’s the human condition, but their acting ability and chemistry makes it poignant. They are stand-ins, more or less, for us. We are on the outside, looking in on them, and on the Internet too. What are we looking for?

Rick longs to have substance in his life, be taken seriously, and make a difference. Beckett longs to lighten up and have fun again, to feel loved and whole, feel part of a family that will be there for her and that she can trust. Through the course of the series …. albeit slowly… we have been invited along on their journey. They are taking action in their world. Are we taking action in ours?

Castle cannot be all shows to all people, but there are at least 3 things it does really well: heartwrenching drama, interesting cases, and humor from subtle to slapstick. I think a lot of people have taken on one character or another as their own personal muse. That’s a testament to good writing. And there are going to be characters you don’t really enjoy. That also is a testament to good writing. While there aren’t always heroes or villains in the story of life, there is no story without conflict. If you’re here for the story, and there is no conflict… what does that say about you?

Do you like everyone you work with, everyone in your family, etc? Probably not. So if someone or something about this show is really yanking your chain, it might be worthwhile to look within rather than looking without. If there’s something missing in your life, there’s only so much these boxes of light and noise can do. Go write something better.

:-)

• Allie says:

You are my hero. Perfect response. I’m so tired of people in this fandom trying to fit this show into their “reality”. Marlowe is not producing your reality, he’s producing Castle and Beckett’s.

• tessa87 says:

↑↑↑↑ THIS … ALL off this ↑↑↑ Thanks act_on_love … finally someone who nails it :)

• Varko says:

Wow! You have eloquently expressed what I have been thinking for some time.

We are all a product of our experiences and that influences how we perceive things. I think the writers purposely leave some details about the character relationships vague so each of us can fill-in-the-blanks with what works for us as individuals. 11 million viewers can watch the same episode and come away with 11 million different impressions of what happened (or should have happened). Now that is provocative writing. Richard Castle would be proud. This is how the show has created such an impassioned viewership. We all think it is (on many levels) OUR story. But at the end of the day it is Marlowe’s, so relax and enjoy the ride.

Oh, and if you don’t like the impression you come away with then perhaps your experiences have negatively influenced your perception.

33. apvox1 says:

Loved this episode. Alexis should be more in the story, maybe she can something like that again, it would be cool.

34. John 1138 says:

Oh and triple points for Marlowe being very leery of going soapy, even if that means the occasional over-correction.

35. Nicademus11 says:

Name an epsiode where we have seen a direct conversation of substance between Beckett and Alexis in the 5+ episodes the show has been on? We haven’t, ever. The only two times we’ve seen real interaction between the two were when she volunteered at the police station in season 2 and when Castle and Martha were in hostages in the bank. When she went to Beckett for advice it has always been off screen. In fact we know very little about their relationship because the lions share of it has been seen through Castle’s POV.

Last night’s closing scene was no different. It didn’t require dialogue for me because it wasn’t about them, it was about Castle. It was about his watching the two loves of his life come together in a moment that spoke more about him than them. Fillion, Marlowe and others have often spoken about the importance of Alexis and Martha are to give weight to a character who when we first meet him is extremely shallow. Alexis as served to provide substance to Castle’s character over the years. I think we have seen Alexis’ skepticism about his and Kate’s relationship sprinkled throughout the last couple of seasons. Last night’s closing shot for me was about a glimpse for Castle that the two women he loves most are not at odds with one another, nor is he chosing between the two. I liked it and much preferred the conversation with Lanie over anything they would have crafted for Alexis and Beckett.

36. Greg says:

It’s interesting. Subtlety and underplaying is all well and good and I understand what Marlowe is saying. But this “arc” has played a big part in the season that it has to end with a seen confrontation, even if it is a very low key. The last two dramatic arcs in this series; the DC arc and this one, have both concluded very abruptly and without much fanfare,.It’s like the writers are creating the drama just for the initial reaction, and then they don’t know what to do with it. This arc at least had a little sense of closure, but again. because of the arc that it was generated from; it has to be a seen conformation.

• nicademus11 says:

That’s interesting because I didn’t see this arc as coming to a close last night, just taking a turn towards eventual resolution.

• Just one thing says:

“It’s like the writers are creating the drama just for the initial reaction, and then they don’t know what to do with it.”
      It’s really irritating, because the writers are obviously not dumb. They clearly spend a lot of time hashing out the dynamics and developing the backstory, motivations and canon. A lot of it just hasn’t made it to the screen in nearly a year.
      So someone ends up explaining the logic that was likely discussed in the writers room and on set in an interview that only a fraction of the audience is going to see.
      Of course, 10 million people continue to watch the show live, and an additional 4 million watch it within a few days. So clearly the masses are undisturbed.

• nicademus11 says:

JOT I think the mass majority of viewers are like my mom, they watch, they enjoy they don’t break it apart and put it back together like the fandom does. So the continuity, the season to season arcs don’t hit the viewing audience the same way it hits folks who watch the show closely. I am among those who is fine with the engagement having unintended consequences. I haven’t completely loved the direction given to Molly Quinn, because I haven’t been a fan of the passive-aggressive behavior she’s displayed. It’s come off as cold which hasn’t been my take on her character over the season, but I do think the shift in dynamics with the engagement would put Castle’s relationship with Alexis off kilter a bit. I didn’t love this episode, but I did think it served the purpose to pivot Alexis and Castle in the right direction. I also think it gave us a superb scene with Lanie & Beckett. So it was a mixed bag, but you and I and most of the people who comment here are invested in the show at a level that is vastly different from the majority of folks who watch. So the little details is what we pick at in ways that most would never even consider.

• Just one thing says:

Very true. There are levels of viewership/fandom, and those who fall into the Casual Viewer category just don’t nitpick as much as others. They watch for as long as they’re entertained, and when something else catches their eye, they’re gone — vs. the more serious fans who still consider this timeslot and others to be “appointment television.”
          One last nitpick on this week’s episode: You mentioned Lanie and Beckett, and many raved about it. As much as I enjoy their scenes and what Tamala Jones brings to the table, that has also become a bit one-dimensional. Ninety-nine percent of non-case interactions between Kate and Lanie are one-sided. Lanie is Kate’s sounding board, which was fine a few seasons ago, but now it’s a bit stale.
          Now that we’re six seasons in, it would be nice if Kate was put in the position to reciprocate once in a while, so Lanie isn’t so jarringly used as a tool to service Kate’s POV. Make it look like this friendship is indeed a two-way street by showing them interact in ways that don’t SIMPLY serve a specific story purpose. I know you’ve mentioned that they only have so much time to tell a story in 42 minutes, but I think there are ways to make it work. It just takes some tweaking to the formula.

• nicademus11 says:

I enjoyed the scene because I thought it was wonderfully written. However, I don’t disagree with you about the idea of seeing it be a friendship that is more of a two-way street. However as someone who has friends for whom I am the advice giver and that is never reciprocated it isn’t odd to me. I agree though it does limit our ability to see and understand Lanie better. However, there have been hints to the idea that theirs is a two-way friendship. It was most evident in the Valentine’s Day episode when she knew about Espo and Lanie’s date and didn’t tell Castle. I often think that Castle is its own worse enemy. It has done a terrific job of giving us an ensemble we really care about and I truly believe there isn’t enough time to give us more of them, plus a case, plus our leads in any kind of balance that works. I was not a fan of those stand alone episodes that focused on Esposito and Ryan. I am hoping the one they’ve built for Lanie breaks that pattern. And truth be told, I am missing Martha something awful this season. I’d watch an hour of her sitting on uncomfortable furniture around Manhattan after last week’s dinner visit to Alexis’ new apartment.

I am among the appointment television viewers and therefore one of the nitpickers. One of the biggest holes in the show that I feel got no real explanation or time was Esposito’s open hostility towards Castle last season. It seemed to come out of no where and has simply disappeared this year. If I ever got a minute with Marlowe that would be what I would ask him.

37. Sidney says:

I love Castle and all the interactions of the characters. I just hope it doesn’t get boring if they ever get married.

38. barbara says:

not too bad of an episode. curious about wha t alexis told kate at end but sure it will be known sooner or later or maybe not. these shows have a tendency to keep you in the dark. still finding alexis annoying tho on the brightside no pi. i liked the scene between kate and lanie. leave it to castle for a space wedding gotta luv him

39. DB says:

I have always been a fan of the show and the characters, it’s easy and mindless fun to watch. I have to admit that the show and story lines started to improve last season. Let’s let the other two detectives have a bit of a life. Do they really need Kate to tell them what to do on every case? Also, I absolutely love it that she blames the wrong person for the murder at the first 15 minutes of every show! Good fun!

40. DRL says:

I have been a big fan of Marlowe until now and his reflections on Kate and Alexis. Women don’t always see the other as the enemy! Come on now! This is about understanding one’s own personal space as the intimate world around you changes, Alexis’s because she is in love for the first time, and Kate, because her heart is on the line and she not sure of her place in the Castle emperor. Kate and Alexis in many ways are two sides of the same coin. I am glad Marlowe that you’re a writer and not a therapist.

41. Jim says:

All Castle and Beckett moments are precious to us. That being said, I don’t like Alexis or any of the secondary characters taking such a prominent role in a story to the relegating of a primary character to a secondary role. For that reason I rate this episode below average. It will not be one I’ll re-watch very often. The relegation of Castle in the D.C. episodes I will give a pass to as a necessary means to reunite Rick and Kate. Looking forward to more great Castle episodes!

42. G. says:

Alexis is a character whose life deserves complete privacy from the viewers. If I never saw her character again on Castle, only hearing about her occasionally in passing, I would not feel one bit bad.

43. Hurding Katz says:

The essence of that conversation between Kate and Alexis?

“You were right about getting Dad to help.”

Kate was already helping. (The case file was in the squad room. That’s where Castle saw it. That was no accident.)

Remember: Alexis and Beckett have an established relationship. Alexis has been seeking advice from Kate over the years, about school, boys and Alexis’ changing relationship with her dad, and her future.

44. Thinkk about what happens when you’re having sex: the body creates natural
    lubrication so you and your partner don’t hurt each other with too much friction.
    In this write-up, you will soon discover how to uncover aand acquire
    the best, that will give you the sensual enjoyment
    aspect, each time. They requirre a single battedry (saves you mone while good for the environment)
    and have only one speed.

45. Dusty says:

Okay, Marlowe ~ You think women sitting down and talking things out is soap opera – then you don’t know women, because that is what most of us do – talk it out, without drama or craziness (that is a male fantasy of who you think we are). And I am more than a little insulted… Alexis and Kate even as characters are very much cut from the same cloth/ the same in temperament, and that maybe part of why Alexis elected to talk to Beckett in the ending scene.

46. Ana says:

The best thing aobut this episode was Lanie “Advice” because I get the impression that to get to know Beckett you have to do part of what castle has been doing for the past 5 years, push to know her and I an not sure that Alexis will do that now, maybe years ago she could have done that but now she is in college, making her way to her own life, career, etc, not even martha, sure she can talk to her etc, but push to get beckett open up to her, I doubt it. so the advice that she has to show up, put herself in there, it is a really good one.

47. Gus says:

Will someone please explain to me where the Magic and Spark went between Castle and Beckett? It’s definitely not there anymore and in my opinion, is what made the show so special. I challenge anyone to point out an episode in season 5 or 6 that even comes remotely close to the the chemistry of seasons 1-4. Very simply, watch the reruns and highlights from the then and please explain anything that is as much fun now.
    It almost seems like they don’t even enjoy each others company. Am I wrong?

48. Bonnie says:

I have a comment about this entire season that I’m amazed no one else has complained about. It’s the music throughout the entire episodes!!! you can hardly hear the dialogue anymore as the poor music choices are played from the beginning of each episodes til the credits roll. There have been episodes where we’ve nearly switched channels just to get away from the racket!! Does this not bother any one else??