Nikita's Shane West Joins WGN America's Witchy Original Drama Salem as Male Lead

Get More: Casting News

Salem Shane WestShane West is trading spies for witches.

The actor will follow up his Nikita run with a starring role in WGN America’s first scripted drama series, the 17th century-set Salem.

West will play the male lead, John Alden, a hardened veteran of 10 years of war and captivity at the hands of the Indians. He returns to his native Salem to find it consumed in witch hunt frenzy.

The cast also includes Janet Montgomery (Made in Jersey) as sorceress Mary Sibley, Seth Gabel (Fringe, Arrow) as Cotton Mather, a local aristocrat who oversees the witch hunts, and Ashley Madekwe (Revenge) as Mary’s alluring and ageless right-hand woman. Tamzin Merchant (The Tudors) co-stars as the beautiful Anne Hale, a talented artist who is attracted to Alden, unaware of his history with Mary Sibley.

Additionally, West will be reunited with Nikita alum Xander Berkeley, who will recur as Magistrate Hale, a politician who believes in pomp and circumstance.

Nikita‘s final season premieres on Nov. 22 on The CW.

Salem, from Star Trek vet Brannon Braga, is scheduled to debut in Spring 2014.

Comments (15)

• Shane West AND Seth Gabel? Count me in.

Comment by Daisy – November 1, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly the name I will see this for!

Comment by EJ386 – November 1, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my exact reaction!

Comment by Christine – November 1, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ohh he is great on Nikita and a really good looking man. Great catch for Salem, they are gathering a great cast.

Comment by Maki – November 1, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I might actually check this out

Comment by Adam – November 1, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t going to watch this before — but now I’m totally in.

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – November 1, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No bad wigs please.

Comment by Marc – November 1, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guess I’m the only one who can’t stand him. I was looking forward to this too.

Comment by Tim – November 1, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And I though he will never get a job

Comment by H – November 1, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the rest of this cast, but the addition of Shane West makes it certain I’ll be checking out this show.

Comment by Lauren – November 2, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What channel is WGN?

Comment by September – November 2, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great casting. Vampires are out. Witches are in.

Comment by Gerald – November 4, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here you see their OO gauge figurines, their items in 1:
    75 to 1:76. Few people realize that TNT, though developed
    at the same time as dynamite, is actually
    a different compound entirely. It is also not mentioned that, according to calculations from First Trust Advisors,
    the assets on the government’s balance sheet exceed $150
    trillion.

Comment by Alturl.com – January 8, 2014 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent blog here! Also your website loads up very fast!

What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host?
    I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

Comment by Faith – January 27, 2014 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well
    as with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid
    theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality
    writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one today.

Comment by https://Archive.org/details/CasualSexFairhope – March 7, 2014 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post