Is Scandal's Liv an Alcoholic? Why'd Castle Snub Kate? Is SNL Best Not Live? And More TV Qs!

Saturday Night Live Wes AndersonWe’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including The Good Wife, Revenge, Supernatural and Revolution!

1 | What’s the verdict on The Carrie Diaries‘ Lindsey Gort’s as young Samantha?

2 | For a show with ‘Live’ in the title, why is it that Saturday Night Live‘s pre-taped Wes Anderson spoof — The Midnight Coterie of Sinister Intruders — turned out to be last episode’s only real source of laughs (Weekend Update notwithstanding)?

VIDEO | Once Upon a Time Season 3 Spoilers — Ariel’s Introduction

3 | If Apollo bars were an actual candy, would Once Upon a Time be guilty of shameless, clumsy product placement?Once Upon a Time

4 | What’s with the dumbing down of Revenge‘s Conrad? We can maybe get past him buying that Huntington’s diagnosis hook, line and sinker, but believing Charlotte was automobile-savvy enough to both find his car’s brake lines and cut them?

5 | Yes, we get it — Homeland‘s Carrie likes to go off her meds. But why flush her entire supply of everything, making it easy for a snoopy dad or sis to discover they’re gone? Also: Dana bought an Aquafina at a gas station for under a dollar?

6 | The scenes depicting Libby’s miscarriage on Masters of Sex were heartbreaking enough. Did they really have to show us the dead fetus, too?

RELATED | Good Wife Season 5 Spoilers — ‘Unbound’ Will, Kalinda’s Loyalties and Alicia’s Breakdown

Good Wife7 | What kind of scenario did The Good Wife‘s Alicia, Cary & Co. envision where leaving the firm wouldn’t have been ugly? Or was it warranted? And would the security guards really need to grasp Alicia’s arms as they escort her to the elevator?

8 | On The Mentalist, if the victim had used an exercise band to sling the gun from the balcony, wouldn’t it have been found at the crime scene since he keeled over immediately thereafter?

9 | Would Witches of East End‘s fun-loving Aunt Wendy have really silenced Mrs. Thatcher with that creepy-crawly bramble ball — especially knowing that the shifter left the innocent woman thinking her husband was murdered by Wendy’s sister Joanna? And wasn’t Dash’s less-than-freaked-out reaction to the offending item a tip-off that he’s more connected to the magical world than we’d initially believed?

10 | Castle‘s Alexis didn’t include her father’s fiancée in the dinner invitation because….?

RELATED | Castle Season 6 Casts Alexandra Chando as Miley Cyrus Type

The Voice Cee Lo11 | Can a contestant on The Voice (or American Idol or The X Factor, for that matter) make a worse song choice than Train’s overused “Hey Soul Sister”? Also: Why, Cee Lo, why?

12 | Anyone else disappointed Supernatural sent Dorothy back to Oz? Can she come back soon?

13 | If The Originals’ Elijah really does have feelings for Hayley, does that make her more likable in your eyes? Or does it lower your opinion of Elijah?

14 | Is it possible that Sons of Anarchy‘s Wendy didn’t actually fall off the wagon? After all, we never saw her shoot up. Maybe she pulled the needle away from her arm because she changed her mind? And does anyone else experience massive Shield déjà vu every time CCH Pounder’s DA Patterson name-checks the Byz Lats?

Person of Interest15 | On Person of Interest, how did none of Finch’s Googling of “John Glover” turn up the Smallville actor?

16 | Did Arrow‘s Laurel really trumpet that the DA’s office is out to “end gun violence”? Bold stance there! And how big a shame is it that Black Canary’s identity had been spoiled for some? Jaws would have been on the floor.

RELATED | Spoilers on Once, Castle, NCIS, Hostages, The Mentalist, Revolution and More

17 | Um, for how long exactly was Revolution‘s Jason separated from his father? Seems awfully quick for the lad to have been brainwashed into a heartless Terminator.

18 | Nashville‘s Scarlett is afraid to blow her big break, so she goes to Avery, the guy who did blow everything? And isn’t Music City Music Festival a bit redundant?

19 | Should The X Factor consider basic grammar lessons for its contestants before arming them with Twitter accounts? (To the boys of Restless Road, it’s saw, not “seen,” for cryin’ out loud!)

Vampire Diaries20 | Vampire Diaries fans: Caroline and Tyler as Bonnie and Clyde, or Caroline and Matt as Jackie O and JFK?

21 | Who else wants to raid Mary’s closet on Reign? We don’t care if they’re not historically accurate, that black and gold dress with the high collar was delicious.

22 | Were you digging Grey’s Anatomy‘s snippets of Derek/Ben bromance? And were we simply hopped up on Halloween candy or do we actually like Leah now?

23 | Next time Scandal has Jake take his shirt off, can they please make sure he turns the lights on in his apartment first? Any other fans getting the feeling that Olivia might be an alcoholic? And you didn’t really think she would leave the Fitz Phone in the trash can, did you? (But how funny if a curious custodian found himself on the phone with the president!)

24 | Why must Project Runway All Stars torture us with close-ups of insects?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: 20ish Questions, Burning Questions, Commentary

1. Why must Tony DiNozzo be the butt of jokes on NCIS again???

2. Heather says:

21: yes, please. Those dresses are beyond gorgeous.

3. Badpenny says:

I’m still trying to figure out why Castle and Beckett aren’t living together? They already broke 2 leases in DC so I can’t see how breaking Beckett’s NYC lease is an issue.

• Shar says:

My thoughts exactly and not the least of the problems with that whole episode.

• Francine says:

See, I don’t really find that odd at all. It hasn’t been that long since Kate’s been back and Castle has been dealing with the Alexis issue. I just assumed that they hadn’t gotten around to it yet. Hopefully we’ll get a fun episode with them moving in together eventually.

• scooby says:

Alexis and Pi were in the midst of taking up a lot of room for something like a month right? It would’ve been a pain. When it’s just Castle and Beckett, then Kate can move in. Hopefully she can sublet the other place. Why on earth cut an apartment loose in NYC before you have to? It would be great if they could treat it like an investment. Maybe buy her place and straight up rent it to someone. You know what’s weird? I didn’t even think about Kate not being invited to the dinner. It IS an odd decision looking back on it. Alexis is being all passive aggressive about Castle not telling her about the dating or the engagement. Martha did it both times. He’s never really sat Alexis down and said “I love Beckett. I think I wanna spend the rest of my life with her. I’d like you to get to know each other better.” Just do that and break the stalemate so she actually accepts Kate instead of just saying she does.

4. ajintexas says:

I own an Apollo bar. Got it at a Lost screening a while back. Probably mummified by now lol.

5. Maki says:

Elijah and Haley have great chemistry and Haley is pretty likeable in the Originals. Yes she was pretty bitchy and a pain in VD but she has nice chemistry with the Originals cast. I even feel a bit chemistry with Klaus.

• wordsmith says:

I agree. I had my doubts when they announced that she would be making the jump to the spinoff, but it feels like they finally found a good way to use her in the overall story, and a romance with Elijah would be all kinds of fun and complicated.
      It’ll be even more fun if Tyler shows up and starts trying to mess with her to get back at Klaus.

• Lucy says:

Agreed. Loving the unexpected Elijah romance. It’s sweet and complicated and their chemistry is kind of outrageous. Looking forward to more.

• Anj says:

Agreed. Esp as Elijah getting close like that to Hayley will probably bring more conflict for him and Klaus as he will see E as daddy competition or something like that

6. CC says:

Sorry, still don’t like any of the residents on Greys.

7. DJ Doena says:

Re: Alexis: Apparently because she got told about the engagement by Martha instead of Rick – though the episode didn’t really make it clear when happened what. When after the engagement learned Martha about it, where was everyone at the time (especially important regarding reachability!) and how much time passed between Martha knowing and telling Alexis.

So far, it just looks like as if Alexis regressed from a young teen-adult to an adult annoying brat.

• Rich Abey says:

Well a lot of us have done our share of stupid things, so I would have tolerated Alexis’s relationship with Pi. But the moment she brought him into Castle’s house without even telling him, she totally lost me.

8. courts says:

That Apollo bar WAS shameless, clumsy product placement. “WE WROTE FOR LOST, WE WROTE FOR LOST!”

9. Viv says:

3/ Oh, thats a big YES! But, I have to say, this candy doesn´t look like it taste good. So I wouldn´t buy it.
    7/ I think they didn´t thought it would not turn out ugly. But they really like to have the surprise on their side.
    10/ My parents are divorced and I think thats a really good thing, because they didn´t get along, but I would have a hard time, to invite the fiancee of my fathers. Especially if I knew that my father doesn´t like my boyfriend. And its stated, that Alexis is having a hard time because of the engagement.
    13/ It makes her more likeable. But I acutally liked the Elijah/Katherine idea.. so… meh! And on a different matter: Are we going to see Tyler in NO?

• Rich Abey says:

10/ Your point regarding Alexis is true. But then how do you justify her bring in a guy from South America (who doesn’t have any official documents) into Castle’s house without even informing him? Cause as far as I recall, Rick has always tried his best to shelter Alexis from his womanizing acts. Plus even the most rebellious teenage girl wouldn’t bring in a guy to her parent’s house and then lets him live there too. So what’s wrong with Alexis?

• tvdiva says:

To me this is so opposite of what smart Alexis would do. It is like when the Gilmore Girls writers had Lori sleeping with a married Dean and mad at her mom for months. This is ridiculously out of character for Alexis.

10. samirose says:

Why must Jake take off his shirt? Why didn’t Fitz take off his shirt? Is it because the 53-year-old Tony Goldwyn would look substantially hotter than 41-year-old Scott Foley and that would be weird?

The better question is why is Jake still around? How many ways can you imagine killing him off?

• Liam says:

Actually find Jake a more likable character than Fitz.

• Morgan says:

Ugh, I am not at all interested in the Jake character. Scott Foley is a fine actor, but this role is not doing it for me. I want him gone quickly.

• Mary says:

I like Jake and very much enjoy his scenes with Olivia. Fitz and Olivia have this complicated love story that’s hard for me to let go of, but I think Jake is a very good match for Olivia.

11. Amanda says:

6. It is Showtime.
    10. She’s not family yet? Maybe Beckett had to work?

12. wordsmith says:

1) Lindsey Gort is killing it as Samantha. Her delivery is uncanny, but doesn’t feel like a sketch-show impression, it feels authentic.

13. Sonya says:

RE: Castle, Because Alexis is spoiled. Castle didn’t act that bad – not bad enough to warrant that response. He is a father concerned for his daughters complete about face. She’s known Kate for how long, and used her as a sounding board how many times, and yet Alexis still “doesn’t know how she feels about the engagement?” really? This is the same Kate you’ve known all along.
    I really dislike how they are running this relationship shift between the two of them.

• Robin says:

I’ll agree with that; it does seem weird given how Alexis pushed the castle/Beckett ship. Permanent relationship?
      I can’t believe the associates at L/G didn’t think people would be angry. I know they are lawyers, but greedy much? They did earn it, but bad idea to stay.

• scooby says:

Alexis is trying to drag Caskett down so it seems more comparable with her and Pi, but it just isn’t. She’s known him for a month and is packed with hormones, a need for independence, and passive aggression that she’s not been included in major decisions and life events of her dad. He doesn’t need to ask Alexis’ permission to date or marry Kate, but giving her more of a heads up that things were at that point would’ve probably curtailed some of her bad attitude. She’s acting out. I bet at some point she realizes Kate’s more of an ally than she knew. Think about it, Kate’s the one siding with her on being able to move in with Pi and figure things out. If Alexis knew that, she’d find it hard not to be a fan of Kate’s relationship with her dad. She’s being usurped a bit in her dad’s life. The acting out will end eventually. It was a matter of time before Alexis acted her age. She’s been the child acting more mature than the adults in the loft for a long time. Now that she’s free, things are settling into more of a natural state.

14. wordsmith says:

20) Matt totally sold the JFK look, but Caroline totally rocked that Bonnie and Clyde getup.

15. 8) I think I did see some sort of exercise bands on the floor near the ‘victim’ at the beginning of the episode. In fact I know they were there, because I thought is was strange that they were there, because he wasn’t dressed for exercising.

• I remember it too, it was yellow with black handles. Maybe those handles were hooked on the door and then it bounced off when he released the gun? I also remembering thinking it was oddly placed.

16. wordsmith says:

22) I know, right? It’s like these interns are suddenly real people that I actually care about. When did that happen? Leah as neurotic and clingy, but painfully self-aware – totally sold.
    And that bit with Dr. Smash (I promise I’ll learn his real name soon) at the end – where the old lady asks him if he’s as good as Brooks? “No. but I will be.”
    I may have teared up a bit.

• Courtney says:

Totally agree with everything! I struggle to think of him as anything other than Smash too. But sometimes I’ll remember that he’s Sharky haha.

17. Tammy says:

ON COVERT AFFAIRS, anyone else notice that Annie looks a lot like Helen now. So does this mean Henry will kill Helen thinking it’s Jessica?

18. crabapplerum says:

Having Jake take his shirt off was a little tangential to the story there but I am A-OK with them coming up with more unrelated reasons to find Scott Foley with his shirt off.

19. Daisy says:

13. Originals: Still don’t like Hayley. No effect on my love for Elijah. Another thing: Am I the only one that thinks Hayley and Sophie look like almost the same person?
    20. VampD: Jackie and JFK all the way.
    23. Scandal: Don’t judge a person for really enjoying wine. Even if it seems like a lot of wine.She’s under a lot of stress, people!

20. Dani says:

totally embarrassed for olivia for digging through the trash to get the phone… where’s your pride girl smh

21. lori says:

Because the Castle writers can’t write the obvious?

• scooby says:

Unless it was on purpose. Why assume they screwed something up? Sure seems like they plan arcs (they set up the getting together in ‘Always’ over a year ahead of when it happened). Molly seems to know about what’s being planned for Alexis so they’ve obviously thought about it. The not inviting Kate fits what’s going on with Alexis’ ‘tude. Even if not everybody likes where something goes, there is generally a reason the writers do it. Why do they have to be on the nose just so fans go ‘oh it’s okay you guys, we can see where this is going’? Sometimes it’s better to wonder. Good writing doesn’t spell it all out. It also doesn’t mean we have to like every character or story. Sometimes you’re supposed to not like something (and by ‘something’ I’m hoping I mean Pi ;) We’re supposed to be annoyed right?).

22. Willis says:

Re: Is Olivia an alcoholic? Has anyone else noticed that the ‘wineglass in the hand’, ‘filling/refilling the wineglass’ has become the go-to prop, something-to-do-with-your- hands all over TV. It’s like smoking in old movies. Watch Bogart in Casablanca. Actors and actresses were perpetually lighting up, inhaling or butting out, often with atrocious continuity.

• Mary says:

Olivia’s love for wine makes me like her even more, she’s someone I’d like to hang out with. But I see your point about alcohol being the new prop, all shows have it.

23. Jared says:

LOVE Lindsay Gort as Samantha. She is perfect!

24. John says:

Done with masters of Sex

25. JC says:

10) I hadn’t actually thought about that, but… It could be that the writers intended it to be a clue about Alexis’ feelings about Castle and Beckett, or it could be that having Beckett there would have changed the dynamics of the scene in a way that the writers didn’t want (for example maybe having Kate there would made Castle behave a little better).

26. Kathy says:

Some people were hinting that The Canary would be the person from the Lance family, so no. Forgot about Sebastian Blood in the DC Comics on who he really is, so that was a shock.

And really, Alexis! You are being such a spoiled brat. Yes, you are 19, but you are acting like you are 10!

27. Stormy says:

19: A large % of the posts on this or any entertainment site are an indictment of the American educational system. Don’t even get me started on Twitter.

28. Tav says:

Scenario was laughably absurd and unwarranted. Alicia has always had an extreme victim complex but she was especially naive and self-righteous in the face of being caught. Though I guess the writers have to manufacture sympathy somehow because Alicia is NOT the victim here, yet we’re supposed to feel bad for her anyway. Hmm, how does that work…

29. flutiefan says:

on “The Millers”, are they adding that kid Artie to be the new Urkel? please say it isn’t so. i hope this was a one-off and not a regular character.

30. Apples says:

10) I thought it was a nice piece of symbolism given Castle hadn’t “officially” established Beckett as part of the family. Maybe Castle himself didn’t want her there. Interestingly to me that Beckett advised Castle three times about Alexis (twice in the last ep, once in this ep) about how she was moving on and to let her go, but it wasn’t till Martha delivered the same advice that he changed his mind. Maybe Castle himself doesn’t view Beckett as being part of that dynamic…

• Rich Abey says:

Interesting side to the argument. But without her constant advice Castle could have made a much bigger mess..much earlier too (when Alexis first started dating). He might not have had a direct response to her advice but still he uses it indirectly via his actions. Martha is his mother after all, a wise women despite her outward exuberance & who has gone through this gizzmut before. Who better to give him advice than her? Oprah?

• Apples says:

He definitely uses Beckett as a sounding board and takes on board what she says, but I still thought it was indicative that it was finally Martha who prompted him into apologising and trying to rebuild bridges with his daughter.

• prish says:

This may be about two kids growing up. I do miss their easy relationship, though. I’m just not the negative drama viewer. It’s still a great show with good acting to the household, though.

• Apples says:

I don’t love the negative drama, but I do find it realistic. I always found the “perfect child” Alexis of the early seasons a little too good- she had no flaws, no depth. Was boring.

• Rich Abey says:

In “without her advice” of my earlier comment, I meant without Kate’s advice to show that he uses it indirectly.

• prish says:

Are you married/significant-othered? My experience is anyone other than me, the wife, to get the husband on a track (i.e. health eating stuff). I take it where I get it, no hard feelings, here.

• Apples says:

It isn’t about hard feelings but how Castle has failed to establish a family dynamic that includes Beckett.

• prish says:

My answer to this ended up in another one of your posts. fyi

• Rich Abey says:

I I think what’s important here is that Kate isn’t Alexis’s mother. Even after the marriage, she will be only her step-mom. I remember Molly Quinn stating in an interview that Alexis will never see Kate as her mum in any way, despite Alexis having run off to Kate for advice in her early years. So I don’t think it is necessary to establish a family dynamic that includes Beckett because in the moments that count, like when Alexis was kidnapped or when Castle & Martha were taken as hostages, everybody considers the other as family. Remember when Alexis was screaming her head off at Kate to save Castle & Martha in the bank & then when she did, the look of gratitude in Alexis eyes and how Martha practically pulled Kate in for dinner later. Plus both Kate & Martha were present when Alexis & Rick safely arrived back home from Paris!

• Apples says:

I disagree. Despite the fact that Beckett will never have a maternal role with Alexis, it IS important for Castle to establish a dynamic includes both Beckett and Alexis because they both deserve to know how they stand with each other with respect to him. Not doing so could make things awkward between Alexis and Beckett. I’ve seen it happen in families where there is a step-parent to an older kid. None of those moments you cite particularly establish as Beckett as part of the family. In fact, in Cops and Robbers, Beckett is show as an outsider which is contrasted to her being in an insider in Hunt yes. But moments of stress are not related to day-to-day family.
            Frankly Castle has not handled this situation at all well, and is paying the right price for it.

31. Rich Abey says:

10.
    – Alexis didn’t invite her cause she doesn’t feel Kate is still family (but goes against her argument to Castle..namely that she has accepted his relationship with Kate)
    – Alexis invited her..but due to work she couldn’t make it or Kate turned it down as she feels it’s inappropriate to invade Castle’s family right now (amidst all the turmoil)
    – The writers have lost their minds!

• scooby says:

Definitely felt like A. I think if it was B they’d have mentioned that Kate had to work just to close up that aspect of the subplot. Instead it was clear Alexis has done nothing to really accept her. She’s just saying that so Castle can’t go ‘well you don’t accept Kate!’ Saying you accept her doesn’t make it so, Alexis.

32. Drew says:

I would have liked for them to keep Dorothy around on Supernatural, but there was some explaining that needed to be done… Dorothy was actually Baum’s niece who died, so it was weird to see her as some never-before-known-of daughter for anyone who knew the story (or watched “Dreamers of Oz” on the blu-ray of the classic movie). I’m also fuzzy on why Dorothy appeared to be in her 20’s in 1935 when the original book was published in 1900.

The episode had some plot holes which I feel could have been easily addressed. The entire episode could have been pretty good, rather than the cringe-worthy mess that it became. And the weird part was that the Oz storyline didn’t ruin it. The Charlie element ruined it. Whenever she shows up, the show gets derailed. She really has no business being there, so I hope she stays in Oz. If they bring Dorothy back, maybe they can throw in a line about Charlie being killed while attempting to save Toto or something.

33. Teri Shannon says:

Beckett has allowed Castle space when it comes to Alexis so it was just as well she wasn’t there considering Alexis’s frame of mind.

34. MadamePom says:

They wrote Mer liking April or at least tolerating her to make the audience like April more as well. They’re doing the same with Leah/Arizona. It’s mainly some of the Calzona shippers who HATE Arizona.

• Sam says:

I’m not a Calzona shipper, and I hate Arizona… I would love nothing more than for Arizona and this Leah person to get together so Callie can find someone new and awesome like she is.

35. Sptaz99 says:

SOA – Wendy – the plunger on the hypodermic needle was all the way down, so I assume she injected.

36. Boiler says:

If Apollo Bar was real wouldn’t have a problem with it. I think product placement is big especially on DVR heavy show.

Nashville is called Musuc City so I don’t think its redundant

37. Jeff says:

2. One easy way for SNL to improve is take at least a week off between new episodes, fewer weeks of back to back new shows, and NO more 3 weeks in a row of new shows. SNL shows that come after a week or more of hiatus are always the funniest. The longer the hiatus, usually the funnier.

38. guest says:

#13 – lowers my opinion of Elijah. LOWERS MY OPINION SO MUCH.

but then again, he’s not really Elijah anymore, is he? seeing as the writers have completely twisted his character and his behavior around to the point of being unrecognizable?

• Francine says:

Really? Can you explain how Elijah’s character has changed to you? He seems like the same Elijah to me…

• Guest says:

I mean…just go watch TVD season 2 Elijah and compare him to now Elijah. there’s so many things he’s done that don’t fit with his original characterization.

• me says:

I disagree. Elijah has always been painted as the brother that picks up the pieces after Klaus and basically falls for girls Klaus has turned away (ie. Katherine), so him falling for Haylay fits that pattern. He’s been portrayed as falling in love almost as often as Rebecca. Also, he’s all “family” this and that and trying to do whats honourable, as usual. Seeing as The Originals has only ever had 5 episodes (most of which, Elijah had been incapacitated), I doubt there have been “so many things” he’s done out of character.

• Mary says:

I don’t see how Elijah has changed. Family has always been important to him and he will do whatever he has to do in order to protect them. Haley is carrying Klaus’ child, and even if Klaus wasn’t the father Elijah would still probably protect her.

39. cjeffery7 says:

3 – no more than Community and EVERY OTHER SHOW EVER with Let’s potato chips.

40. Kristi N says:

23. Shirtless Jake is a thing of beauty and should happen every episode. Maybe DC gets hit by a heatwave and he can’t afford an air conditioner.

Yes, Liv is a total drunky drunk.What if Liv actually did become pregnant?! How could she ever go nine months without wine? Grape juice and pickles will be the new menu.

And of course Liv was going root in the trash for the FitzPhone. It was funny but also pathetic. Iyanla, fix her life!

41. Kristi N says:

7. It was always going to be bad when Cary & Alicia left. And that’s what makes it so good!

Team Calicia!

42. Britta Unfiltered says:

2. SNL did a Wes Anderson spoof? Oooohh, I’m going to have to find that online.
    5. I have two possible theories on this. She either thinks the meds dull her abilities to sniff out a terrorist, or she was worried being on her meds would make her seem too sane to the client she was supposed to meet and would give up the game. They need to think she’s off her meds so that they can buy she’s willing to sell out her country, which means really being off her meds. Either way, flushing them avoided the temptation to take them.
    6. That was horrific to see, though I thought the fake baby was too big to look real. It was a really good episode. What got me was the scene at the end with Masters breaking down and shutting Virginia’s eyes so that she wouldn’t see him cry.
    14. I think she did it.

43. Anj says:

JFK and Jackie O all the way!

44. Maria says:

Alexis didn’t include Kate in the dinner invitation because…well, I’m not allowed to say those words online.

45. barbara says:

covert not too bad henry has to go the sooner the better not ti happy with auggie cheating guess we chalk it up to stress. not feeling it for castle too much focus on alexis. she’s become very annoying just wish they would bring the old castle back