Vampire Diaries Recap: Mommie Dearest

Get More: Recaps

Vampire Diaries Season 5 RecapThe Vampire Diaries this Thursday unveiled a mother of a twist and managed to break some hearts.

Plus, one character proved to be extremely resilient, while a new face found a common link with Elena.

Read on as we revisit the episode’s biggest surprises:

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Season 5 Spoilers — Who’s Pulling a Reverse Benjamin Button?

FAMILIAL RELATIONS | Nadia is still holding Katherine hostage, and it’s more than just about keeping her away from Silas. After feeding Katherine a fake sob story, Nadia reveals the truth: Katherine really did kill her mother because Katherine is actually Nadia’s mother. How’s that for a humdinger? Katherine tells her newly rediscovered daughter that she actually went back to Bulgaria to find her, but she was gone.

UNHOLY ALLIANCE | Damon proposes working with the enemy aka Silas in order to help bring back Bonnie much to the witch’s objections. She warns that magic has a price. (Wait, how did everyone end up on Once Upon a Time?) But Jeremy points out that their situation, seeing and hearing but not being able to feel each other, isn’t enough anymore. Damon makes a deal with the immortal to resurrect Bonnie with his death. In exchange, Silas just wants Damon to kill Stefan to sever their link. It’s all a part of Silas’ plan to find Tessa’s mystical anchor to the other side. Unfortunately for him, Tessa turns him into a dried-up version of himself before he can get to it. So Damon lures Katherine and feeds her to Silas even as she cries, “I don’t want to die!” — which has a whole new, sad connotation now that she’s just met her daughter. But you can’t keep Katherine Pierce down, and just moments after passing out, she comes back to life.

REUNITED AND IT FEELS SO BRIEF | Caroline and Tyler’s honeymoon period is cut short when he reveals that he actually came back to say goodbye. He’s still got Klaus on the brain and plans to go after him and destroy the Original’s life. (Tyler in New Orleans? That could be fun.) Caroline, naturally, is not pleased: “For someone who hates Klaus, you certainly sound a lot like him.” Later on, she warns him that if he leaves, it’s over between the two of them. Although Tyler is clearly heartbroken, he doesn’t hesitate to walk out of her life.

LONE SURVIVORS | Elena’s feeling major guilt over her Summer of Sex while Bonnie was dead, so she’s not letting Megan’s death slip through her fingers. She’s still got her eyes on Dr. Wes, who warns her people are watching and asking questions about her and her friends and that she should leave school. Another good-looking blond at Megan’s memorial also grabs her attention. The mystery mourner is Aaron (Melrose Place’s Shaun Sipos), a hometown friend with major survivor’s guilt of his own. Oh, and. Dr. Wes is his father. So the Whitmore mystery is building, but still quite hazy at the moment.

Vampire Diaries fans, how do you think Katherine survived? On a scale of 1 to 10, how shocking was the Nadia reveal? And are you crushed over Caroline and Tyler’s break-up?

Comments (73)

• Wow not one mention of how awesome it was when Stefan snapped Damon’s neck. I am absolutely loving this new side of Stefan!!! I hope they continue down this path with him.

Comment by Kira – October 31, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the casting gave it away that Nadia was going to be Katherine’s daughter.

Comment by Damn – October 31, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess I was the only one who didn’t see it coming…

Comment by Rook – November 1, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nope. Not the only one. I even thought at the beginning of the season how similar Nadia looked to Elena and I still didn’t put it together. But I’m glad I didn’t. It was a total scream-out-loud surprise for me last night. Loved that twist.

Comment by sls – November 1, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Once I found out that they where casting a character called Nadia I knew because both her and
          Katherine have eastern European roots.
          So I connected the dots.

Comment by Damn – November 1, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes it is rather obvious but I still missed it. But like I said, it was more fun not seeing that one coming, at least to me.

Comment by sls – November 1, 2013 06:19 PM PDT
      • Glad I’m not the only one who didn’t see it coming! My jaw dropped, didn’t expect it at all!! They are doing a great job with Katherine this season, and I can’t believe what Damon did to her at the end, and Elena just stood there watching… So glad she is alive because she is the best character on this show! Kudos to Nina D.

Comment by Luli – November 2, 2013 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nadia’s reveal was not totally surprising. I (and a lot of other people) suspected she was Katherine’s daughter. That didnt make it any less exciting though. New Stefan continues to be awesome and I find the Whitmore storyline kinda interesting. I still find Elena to be the least interesting and yet most annoying character on the show. And I know that’s sad considering she is the female lead but I can’t help it.

Comment by Francine – October 31, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Didnt know she was Katherine’s daughter but everything else i totally agree with.

Comment by M3rc Nate – October 31, 2013 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, She is very annoying as Elena, and she turn into Katherine sayin she never would. By that I mean turning brother against brother. She plays Katherine way better. I love the Stefan an th Sial doppleganger twist was awesome.

Comment by kaystring – November 3, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dr Wes is his legal guardian. We don’t know the connection other than that.

Comment by Liz – October 31, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Dr. Wes Aaron’s father or his guardian? I thought it was the latter.
    Nadia said she had been chasing Katherine for 500 years, but then when giving her fake sob story, she said something like Katherine killed her mom in 1642. 1642 + 500 years would be 2142. So, that’s not possible. Did I mishear her?
    Also, if Nadia is Katherine’s daughter, then she must have had a child of her own before she became a vampire; otherwise, Elena (the doppleganger) wouldn’t be alive.

Comment by Amy – October 31, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is that the case? I thought they were just dopplegangers and not related. I could be wrong..

Comment by Josh – October 31, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Elena is Katherine descendant. And yes it’s obvious Nadia had a child before becoming a vampire. No surprise. Especially since she looks older than her mother who’s still a teenager physically speaking while Nadia is a woman

Comment by Melanie – October 31, 2013 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think he was being sarcastic. This was stated way back in season 1 that Katherine had a child before becoming a vampire continuing the Petrova line and that she and Elena were very distantly related.

Comment by Melinda – November 1, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She said the correct date when she told her the truth. 14-whatever it was.

Comment by Thea – October 31, 2013 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The correct date is 1490 for Nadia’s birth. She said it later in the hotel.

Comment by Carla Krae – November 1, 2013 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It was actually 1492…you know, when Columbus sailed the ocean blue…

Comment by Curly Girly – November 1, 2013 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • 1942 is when Katherine killed herself. april 6th. Nadia was born in 1490. Katherine asked “Where were you in 1498″ “I don’t know, I was 8″.

Comment by NanoYusof – November 1, 2013 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Katherine did not kill herself in 1942!

Comment by alison – November 1, 2013 06:27 PM PDT
  • That episode was crazy!!

Definitely LOLed at that “When did everyone end up on Once Upon a Time?” I thought the same thing!

Comment by Babybop – October 31, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too!

Comment by H – October 31, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whenever I hear the whole, “magic = consequences” blah blah blah I always think of Buffy season 6. Spike said it first. ;)

Comment by Thea – October 31, 2013 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay Elena in this episode was FINALLY sort of season 1 Elena. Her storyline wasn’t about a boy! She was doing something all on her own!

Comment by Josh – October 31, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES amen to that! I hope she continues to investigate the poor girls death, and Aarons family probalby has some weird secret if everyone dies and his guardian is studying vampires

Comment by Annemijk – November 1, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The forwood break up was heart breaking. Poor caroline she begged him to love her more than he hates klaus and he walked away. And again she wasn’t good enough for a person she loves =(

Comment by Marie – October 31, 2013 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Finally they broke them up. It’s been 2 seasons they bring Tyler back and forth not knowing how to make him fit in the main storyline as Caroline’s boyfriend.

Comment by Melanie – October 31, 2013 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. It’s been back and forth for far too long. I use to like these two together but it’s just been a bore for a while, cause they can’t figure out what to do with them and Caroline deserves better.

But please oh please don’t bring Tyler to the Originals. That show is finally moving forward and lighting up on having to rehash all TVD backstories, that the last thing they need to do now is stop and explain who Tyler is and his whole backstory. And without Caroline to create a love triangle with him and Klaus how would he fit in any better than he does on TVD?

Comment by sg – October 31, 2013 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Haley. He brought Haley in to the TVD sphere so that is how he fits in with the Originals. His hatred of Klaus and connection to the one who helped him break the sire bond aka Haley. It’s kind of obvious the conflict set up isn’t it? He wants to destroy Klaus in vengeance for his mother but now his friend is carrying the child of Klaus…dun dun dun, what ever will he do?!?

Comment by Anj – November 1, 2013 04:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Plus, remember the werewolves have been chased out of New Orleans, enter Tyler to lead the charge back in!

Comment by Anj – November 1, 2013 04:10 AM PDT
          • I’m not sure Hayley qualifies as his friend anymore after she betrayed him and set up all their werewolf friends to be killed by Klaus.

Comment by Eli – November 1, 2013 05:55 AM PDT
        • I agree I dont want Tyler in The Originals. The character got borong and has a lack of personality. And am I the only one concerned with the fact he’s been using Caroline for sexe all episode when he just wanted to leave again?

Comment by Mel – November 1, 2013 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I thought about that too, it’s like nice. He’s been blowing her off all summer, than comes back to break-up with her, but not before he have lots and lots of sex with her. Such a classy guy.

I know Tyler has connections to Hayley and there actually seems to be some werewolf storyline beginning on the Originals. Where as TVD seems to have forgotten the werewolves or moved on to other things. Maybe it’s more that I would rather the character just stay away from both shows. he’s gotten so boring and seems to be returning to the jerk he was in season 1. Or maybe I’m just disappointed that between Caroline, Matt and Tyler it looks like Tyler is the one who’s going to jump ship and than the show will once again have to stop and retell other backstory. Yawn.

Comment by sg – November 1, 2013 07:00 AM PDT
      • I honestly think they have no idea what to do with Tyler. Unfortunate, because he could be a very interesting character.

Comment by henninggirl – November 1, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s has been confirmed that Tyler will appear in The Originals.

Comment by jeremy.hudson – November 2, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ending was the best part… Sure Katherine didn’t die but it was still awesome!

Comment by S – October 31, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How the heck did katherine live at the end??? Did she become immortal n silas became a witch?

Comment by n – October 31, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She probably had vampire blood in her system knowing the risks of going out of hiding. And seeing Elena’s face if Katherine had wanted to stay human she could have gone with a simple “I just found my daughter back, please I need time with her”. Elena looked so trouble abut letting Katherine die although it may bring Bonnie back

Comment by Melanie – October 31, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s a very logical point. She staked Nadia so she could have consumed her blood just to be safe and then died and came back as a vampire again.

Comment by Melinda – November 1, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I was wondering the same thing – for the cure to work, didn’t he need to drink ALL of her blood? What was her beating heart even pumping there at the end? Also, shouldn’t she have turned gray and dessicated like he did? Or did they exhaust their CGI budget for the episode?

Comment by wordsmith – November 1, 2013 12:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She wouldn’t have desicated because Katherine isn’t a vampire anymore. I don’t know how she lived though. Maybe it was because she used to be a vampire…some connection there?

Comment by Chelisa – November 1, 2013 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is sucky Tyler gone for good? Pretty please? (Very unlikely, I know, but I can hope that the worst character on the show, played by a horrible actor, will never return!)

I hope Bonnie comes back to life soon and gets an awesome new story.

Comment by Alex – October 31, 2013 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree strongly except about Bonnie becoming human. Not that i want her to be a vampire, but personally i am really enjoying the Bonnie+Stefan chemistry and i think they should end up together, i hope Tyler is gone for good.

Comment by M3rc Nate – October 31, 2013 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think tyler is the werewolf that saved hayley on the originals!

Comment by kevin – October 31, 2013 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oooh…that’s a thought… Because they mentioned a few times that it wasn’t a full moon…interesting theory.

Comment by Tracie – October 31, 2013 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So far, hybrids are the only wolves that can turn without a moon, yes?

Comment by wordsmith – November 1, 2013 12:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He did say that he was in the land of no cell phone receptions. Sounds like the Bayou to me.

Comment by origin90 – November 1, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope you’re right, Tyler being the werewolf that saved Haylie would be cool.

Comment by sls – November 1, 2013 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope they use Tyler on The Originals

Comment by Ram510 – November 1, 2013 01:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Very well could be. Especially because there are no interviews about him being done with the shows/mythology.

Comment by Carla Krae – November 1, 2013 03:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No no no no no. The Originals is doing great, don’t bring tyler in it to mess that all up. It would be stupid and pointless.

Comment by Rook – November 1, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Katherine coming back to life is a witchy safeguard put on the cure. Not sure the exact spin but I bet killing Katherine to get the cure won’t be easy. Either that or Silas simply didn’t drain her to the point of death. But I’m going with some sort of safeguard built into the cure for some witchy reason.

Comment by sls – November 1, 2013 12:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great episode. This season reminds me of the first two seasons with the twist and turns. I had no clue that nadia was katherines daughter. Maybe she did something to her so she would not die.my jaw dropped when damon bit and then feed her to silas. Liking this new stefan and also wonder if Tyler will be on the originals now just keep him off of tvd .

Comment by ollie – November 1, 2013 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really feel bad for Michael Trevino as Tyler. While I didn’t like the douche-jock he was in Season 1, he really redeemed himself after that. The writers totally screwed up his storyline by having these prolonged absences. I got very used to him being gone from TVD. I can see him having a place on The Originals. How long can Klaus and Marcel battle for control of New Orleans? There has to be more going on there. So, like someone else suggested, Tyler is the werewolf that has been watching Hayley and has been training other werewolfs to be in his pack to return to New Orleans to cause trouble for Klaus. I hope it works well for the actor. He is smokin’ hot and got a raw deal on TVD!

Comment by Liz – November 1, 2013 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TVD5E5—This episode is crazy. T!!! I didn’t expect that Nadia was the daughter of Katherine!!! How the heck did katherine live at the end??? Did she became immortal???? I think the cure has something to do with it!! Plus Caroline and Tyler </3. Ammmmmbbbboottttt…. I can't wait to the next episode….

Comment by Sheena Mae Lantaca – November 1, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, I like Shaun Sipos, but relaly can he stop being cast as a teenager. For the love of god, his so called Guardian is younger than him. The story line with him seems interesting though.

Comment by Erica – November 1, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uh,isn’t it that Katherine is now a vampire again because the cure was removed?

Comment by Shaun – November 1, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First, when Damon bite Katherine and fed her to Silas it was a nice book end to the scene last season when Katherine bite Jeremy and fed him to Silas so she could get the cure to use on Klaus.
    Second, Katherine’s blood contains the cure, it stands to reason that when Damon bite her that he consumed some of that blood, so is Damon mortal again or will they just gloss over that?

Comment by B – November 1, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He bit her but didn’t consume her blood. That’s like saying Katherine biting Jeremy must’ve meant she had to deal with the hunters’ curse – which she didn’t. He bit her so Silas could feed on her.

Comment by TVD101 – November 7, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You only get the hunter’s curse if you kill one not if you bite one

Comment by Samantha Haines – November 20, 2013 01:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So when does Nadia’s daughter/son show up? That was a twist I really didn’t see coming as the Petrova line needs someone alive to get pregnant. Guess its over now though with Elena vampirized although Katerina is alive again sooooooo.

Comment by BrianR – November 1, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why was Elena wearing Ugly Betty’s necklace? Yeah I know they used the same necklace in The Other Boleyn Girl.

Comment by Joanna – November 1, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite episode of the season so far, I hope they stick to it and bring Bonnie back, but we all know they won’t

Comment by joncuriel – November 1, 2013 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wouldo first the Dr. is Aaron’s Guardian which is off because he looks younger than the guy playing Aaron. Second you all need to stop hating on Tyler he’s had everything stripped from him by Klaus and all Caroline can do is complain that he’s not a good boyfriend UGH SIMPLE B YOU INVITED THE DICK THAT KILLED YOUR MANS MOM AND NEARLY KILLED YOUR OWN TO GRADUATION AND HE’S THE BAD SIGNIFICANT OTHER??
    You viewers seem to think the only thing characters on this show are good for (especially Caroline) is having relationships regardless of if it destroys the plot progression or character development.

it’s painful watching this show and reading the comments later. All folks seem to care about is who is with whom and not what total lack of sense this show makes and how much the writers seem to lack the ability to have their females written with intelligence and morality without being considered a biotch or judgey.
    For a show that has female head writers they sure have some disgusting moments that need to be addressed and hopefully never repeated. Like that scene where Damon walks in on Caroline and basically makes light of the fact that she would like him to respect her privacy…because you know he basically date raped her for season 1… Or that you are annoying if you get cheated on by the love of your life by say your best friend or your hand maiden.
    who would let girls think that’s ok?? The TVD writers that’s who.
    This show has so much story potential but all they focus on is how these chicks need a man in their lives and if they are not directly in front of them at all times it’s ok to fall for the next guy to breath on your neck.

Comment by Pep – November 2, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow might wanna calm down a little. It is just a show.

Comment by Abc – November 2, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only thing I didn’t like was Stefan ruining the plan so they couldn’t just bring Bonnie back already. I’m not her biggest fan but let’s face it she saves them a lot and I’m tired of listening to her fans cry about how she gets the short end of the stick. Plus Jeremy and her are cute :)

Comment by Abc – November 2, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just throwing out a completely random guess as to why Katherine survived.

I presume that the cure not only cures vampirism but also cures Katherine from all harm. So even after her blood was drained from her body the cure somehow brings her back to life as a human?

I love this show! TVD and The Originals are two of the most amazing shows!

Comment by Zack Cortez – November 3, 2013 04:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually think Katherine did have vampire blood in her system but either Silas didn’t drink enough to kill her or that the vampire blood healed her quickly! I dont know. Just a guess. Lol.

Comment by Nicole Moore – November 8, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As soon as Nadia fed Katherine her sob story, Iknew she was her daughter. I never looked at the casting so I didn’t know that she would end up to be Katherine daughter at first, however I knew that Katherine daughter would show up eventually in the series because TVD is really predictable. Still love the show though.

Comment by Jasmin – November 5, 2013 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a good episode! Can’t wait for the rest.

Comment by Sandra – November 6, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katherine’s not a vampire. She’s still human. I think she did have vampire blood in her system. Either Silas didn’t drink enough to kill her or the vampire blood healed her quickly.
    But Katherine’s still human!
    I<3TVD!