2014 Renewal Scorecard: What's Coming Back? What's Getting Cancelled? What's on the Bubble?

Renewed TV Shows 2014TVLine’s annual index of immeasurable relief and crushing disappointment known as the Renewal Scorecard has arrived!

From now until late May, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW will determine which shows are good to return for another season… and which will join Lucky 7, Ironside and We Are Men over at the MIA Network.

To help you monitor what’s staying, what’s going and what’s anxiously riding the “bubble,” we once again present you with our easy-to-browse cheat sheet.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

We’ll be updating this list regularly with the latest industry intel — including, for the first time, info on back-nine pickups! — so we strongly suggest you bookmark this puppy and check back for updates. As a reminder, the eight levels in TVLine’s reliable renewal grid are as follows:

♦ Officially renewed
♦ A sure thing
♦ A safe bet
♦ Could go either way
♦ A long-shot
♦ Essentially cancelled
♦ Officially cancelled
♦ Too early to tell

And now, the Scorecard (use these links to jump to CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW).

ABC

America’s Funniest Home Videos: Officially renewed.
The Assets:
Officially cancelled
The Bachelor:
A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Back In the Game: Too early to tell. Officially Cancelled
Betrayal: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Black Box: A long-shot. Officially cancelled
Castle: A sure thing. Officially renewed
Dancing With the Stars: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Extreme Weight Loss: Season 4 debuted May 27; Already renewed for Season 5
The Goldbergs: A safe bet. Officially renewed
Grey’s Anatomy: A sure thing. Officially renewed
Killer Women: A long-shot. Officially cancelled
Last Man Standing: Could go either way. Officially Renewed.
Lucky 7: Officially cancelled
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Middle: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Mind Games: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled
Mistresses: Officially renewed; Season 2 premieres Summer 2014
Mixology: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Modern Family: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Motive: Season 2 finale aired Aug. 27; Already renewed in Canada; ABC airing Season 3 could go either way
Nashville: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed
The Neighbors: Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Once Upon a Time: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland: A long-shot. Officially cancelled
Resurrection: Too early to tell. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Revenge: Too early to tell. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Rookie Blue: Officially renewed; Season 5 premieres Summer 2014
Scandal: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Shark Tank: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Suburgatory: Too early to tell. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Super Fun Night: Too early to tell A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Trophy Wife: Too early to tell Could go either way. Officially cancelled

PROCEED TO NEXT PAGE FOR CBS!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Cancellations, Renewal Scorecards, Renewals

1. Eugène says:

I miss Devious Maids & Witches of eastend… Whats gonna happen with these shows??

• Brandy says:

Devious Maids was renewed for season two and Witches is currently still airing season one and according to Dealine looks promising for renewal.

2. Holly says:

Serious question. I love Revenge and Nashville. But in my opinion, Nashville has far more story and life left in it than Revenge. Looking at the numbers, Nashville seems to do slightly better. However, it seems general consensus (not on this site) that Revenge will be renewed but Nashville is at risk. Is this purely because Revenge will be up for syndication?

If I had to choose, I wanna keep Nashville around!!

• Jerry says:

Actually, Revenge is doing slightly better numbers than Nashville (just very slighly). The thing is, Revenge has syndication on its side, and Nashville doesn’t. And of course, if Revenge’s 3rd season’s numbers are on par with Nashville’s second season, it seems likely that Nashville will be doing worse numbers for its third season (if it gets renewed) compared to Revenge’s 3rd season.

ABC renews at least 6 dramas each year. The first five slots have already been filled, no dispute. So only in the very worse case scenario there will be a Revenge vs Nashville situation. If not, there is a likelihood that both will be renewed.

Of if SHIELD crashes (unlikely to happen) then it might slip to the 7th drama, and both Revenge and Nashville will be renewed for sure.

There is of course, a scenario where there is a new ABC hit in the mid-season dramas, then both will be in jeopardy, though Revenge is likely to get renewed for a 4th and final season to reach the required 88 episodes for syndication. Syndication can save even the super low-rated shows like Nikita and Till-death, because the syndication fees will more than outweigh one or even two seasons of low-rated production. The last time syndication failed to save a 3-season show (3 FULL seasons, so don’t bring out Happy Endings or Body of Proof) if I recall correctly is Veronica Mars in 2006 (and that is under unique circumstances like The WB and UPN merger to become The CW).

• driveuntilyoulosetheroad says:

Thanks for your reply and explanation.

I still don’t fully understand how the music sales work for Nashville (i.e. if the show makes much if any money, or it goes to the song writers etc). But I guess I’m just trying to think up reasons ABC would keep Nashville around – they certainly seem to love it as a show.

Out of curiosity, why do you think SHIELD is unlikely to crash? From memory (couldn’t find the link), SHIELD has decent enough ratings, but they are facing decent demo drops each week? I don’t watch SHIELD, and feel kind of bad for saying it, but given that it’s expensive to make, and dropping in the demo each week (again, just from memory), then it annoys me that ABC could renew it just to save face.

Hoping somehow all my favourite bubble shows get saved – The Good Wife and Parenthood namely. At least the guilty pleasure Hart of Dixie is probably safe due to syndication.

• Jerry says:

SHIELD has to slip to really low ratings to even match Revenge and Nashville’s low ratings. I think SHIELD has an in-built fan base that will watch anything related to SHIELD. The fact that the repeat of SHIELD does a 1.2, which is only a few tenths lower than an original Revenge and Nashville says a lot about the very core fan base of SHIELD. You know the fanboys who will watch it again and again.

I don’t think the cost itself is that much to handle, considering Falling Skies on cable does 1.0-1.5 and still gets renewed. The only show that got cancelled due to high costs and mediocre ratings is Terra Nova, and that is probably a lot more costly than SHIELD.

Either way I think Nashville and Revenge will both stay. I just think so. The fact that ABC is REGRETTING cancelling Body of Proof (doing Nashville and Revenge ratings) should speak to the fact that ABC is having trouble launching new shows. It seems like there is an 80% chance that anything they replace Nashville and Revenge is will crash and burn. Wednesday at 10/9 is a trouble spot for ABC, that have failed ever since LOST vacated that time slot. Sundays at 9/8 is full of competition from Football, all the cable shows like Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, The Good Wife (a lot of overlapping viewers), and especially The Walking Dead. The Walking Dead’s numbers these days, it’s almost like going against award shows every week!

If either of them get cancelled, I would bet money that whichever replaces them will do even worse. Even the flops this year (Betrayal, OUATIW) are doing worse than last year’s flops (Last Resort, 666 Park Avenue)!

• Holly says:

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply – appreciate your input.

I agree regarding the recent article on ABC thinking of reviving Body of Proof – surely that speaks to the potential to also regret cancelling Revenge or Nashville.

I guess, the only other thing I can think of is that green lighting Nashville for Season 3, will potentially guarantee a Season 4 (due to syndication). However, I wonder if that would not be a bad idea, considering if it goes into syndication and picks up more fans/gets more exposure, there will be ongoing digital music sales…..that’s a big jump ahead though for a show that could very easily get cancelled now!

The Walking Dead’s ratings are insane. Understandable because it’s a great show, but still crazy. Just goes to show though that these sorts of ratings are still attainable (when it seems that currently anything in the 2.5-3 range is considered a success).

3. barbara says:

bones it could go either way so mad i could scream! !!!!!!!!!

4. Bob says:

What about the summer show Wodunnit?

5. Darlene says:

Supernatural is thr only thing on network TV that I even care about and here’s a good reason to hate The Originals, I watched two Episodes and there are hardly any commercial interruptions for them whereas Supernatural has a commercial cutting in like every 5 minutes it seems, which to me feels like the network is trying to tank them by putting them after a nighttime ‘Vamp Soap Opera’ that’s such a rip off of every other ‘Vamp Soap’ out there, then swamping them with commercials so they have less screen time

• daisy says:

I really don’t care about the commercials I still watch it. The commercials are there so theres more suspense in the show. If you like a show you have to deal with the commercials or just watch it online.

6. Darlene says:

Basically it’s looking like the CW is trying to show off it’s pretty new shows that aren’t even close to being original (Supernatural was one of the first of it’s kind, then suddenly American Horror Stories and stuff like it started popping up in hopes to ride Supernatural’s coat tails) while trying to tank it’s only decent show (I’m giving Tomorrow People a chance only because Lucifer from Supernatural is in it.)

7. amanda says:

I love bones and greys !! its way to early to tell I wish they can wait couple of months and do this. Bones has high rating for fox!

8. cececece says:

why is parks and rec “could go either way” they can’t cancel it EVER, it is too good!

9. stella says:

Why are Revenge and Person of Interest not sure things/safe bets??? POI is like #1 in ratings and AMAZING! And Revenge has totally redeemed itself in season 3 for the bumpy season 2 it had!

10. cece says:

RENEW REIGN! <3 it could be huge with teenagers my friends and i call it the historical gossip girl (which was a hit)

11. Stephenie says:

BONES has to come back!

12. Findi says:

I love the Renewal Scorecards! They’re tremendously helpful. Thank you!

13. Jean-Paul RZ says:

REVENGE A THE WAY!!! It should definitely be renewed if it isn’t then ABC is gonna be losing it with it’s viewers I mean Revenge is the bomb it is great and I don’t care what anyone thinks it’s doing great it’s the best TV show I’ll ever see in my life ABC should definitely do the right thing and renew it!!!

• Jerry says:

I know right? Hopefully ABC renews it, and give the writers perhaps a final 4th season so that the writers can wrap it up. If Revenge is cancelled with a cliffhanger it will be a slap in the face for people who have tuned in for 3 seasons. Revenge is not just another rookie flop to be cancelled, it has been around for 3 seasons and it is one of those shows where the ending is vital to the original premise (unlike the procedurals).

People like to harp on its recent dismal ratings, but people often overlook the fact that Revenge is a very unique show, a soap opera semi-thriller about a girl finding Revenge. It is one that is almost predetermined and destined to be a Dead-On-Arrival rookie flop that gets cancelled after 2 episodes (Lucky 7 style). The fact that it survived for so long is quite a miracle.

14. Dave says:

I really like The X Factor. Please renew it.

15. Sarah says:

Can someone please explain to me how “The Mindy Project” is STILL (can’t bold or italize) ‘a safe bet’.

• Jamie04 says:

FOX has said multiple times that they “believe in this show” and want it to do well. Not sure why though!

• scooby says:

You’re kidding right? First of all it’s a great show packed with writers from 30 Rock along with Mindy who wrote on The Office and Ike Barinholtz & his writing partner. The jokes are so layered that you can find it funny the first time and funnier the next when you go back and catch stuff you missed. They really need to get enough eps for syndication. I think it’d be a hit there. Secondly there are writers you find and something about the work that they do says ‘hang onto this person, they’re special’ You bet on Mindy Kaling. From her work on The Office, her book, and now this show, she’s obviously got a strong comedic voice and Fox wants it rather than let someone else lure her away. If they canceled this show, they’d just start over from scratch trying to work up another vehicle for her when the truth is there’s nothing wrong with what they’ve got that the ratings should be this low. People simply aren’t trying it and it’s their loss. Guys mistakenly think ‘this is a show for chicks’ when I’ve heard many male comedy writers from The Daily Show, the Late Show, and Everybody Loves Raymond singing its praises–I mean that stuff is on the record, not just some vague buzz. I really hope this show is a safe bet. It’s the one I most want to hear got a renewal. If Fox can stand by Fringe and NBC can keep Community going, this show deserves a shot. Plus you don’t cut loose Chris Messina. C’mon.

16. Jackie says:

I LUV, LUV, Dracula! Please, please renew the show. I look forward to the Friday line up. Don’t let me down.

• Laura Molinoff says:

I so agree! One of the reasons I enjoy Friday nights so much is Dracula. Please, please don’t cancel it! Thank you.

17. barbara says:

I love Hostages and hope it will be renewed.

18. Mimi says:

What about Siberia? It’s not even listed, while the other Summer shows are.

19. Mimi says:

What about Siberia? It’s not even listed.

20. Zakiy Mclain says:

I Really like back in the game hate to see it go the cannon really funny ,but it kinda ends with him. I think they shoulda brought a few more better angles

21. Jason says:

THey’re not gonna cancel Firefly are they?

22. Cheyenne says:

PERSON OF INTEREST IS MY FAVORITE SHOW AND ALMOST ALL MY FRIENDS WATCH IT! WE WILL BE LOST WITHOUT!! PLZ KEEP IT GOING !! I WILL HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO ON TUESDAY NIGHTS AND NOTHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO!! PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Cheyenne says:

WE NEED POI (person of interest) It’s my favorite and almost all my friends watch it! I will be seriously devastated if it doesn’t get renewed!! PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Jackie says:

Person of interest rocks! How could they not renew it! PLZ if you all read this, renew it! Person of interest is my life. It’s not a show that will come and go. It has already has 2 and 1 half seasons and it’s is my favorite show in history!! I need this show or I will be crying my heart out!! I love it too much!! PLZ!!!!

25. Susana says:

Bones Could go either way??? It gives FOX excellent ratings even on Friday night~~

26. Rita Sioros says:

Bones should be renewed. It is a great show. Keep it on.

27. janice says:

How is the good wife “a sure thing”? As much as I’d love for it to be renewed (it’s my favourite show right now) excluding Hostages which was DOA it’s the second-lowest rated drama on CBS. How can you say it’s going to be renewed for sure? I wanna know please!!!!!!
    And BATB is too early to tell? After 8 weeks or so of lousy ratings I thonk it’s safe to say it’s definitely NOT coming back

28. The networks are too fast to pull the trigger on some of the shows. BATB is a fantastic series and should be renewed for season 3. It’s an intelligent sci/fy show and the acting and writing is superb. Why should America’s Next Top Model keep getting renewed when it is one of the most boring shows on t.v.? Don’t understand the logic of who goes and who keeps getting renewed. Just doesn’t seem fair that some of these shows don’t get a chance to develop before the plug is pulled.

• Brandy says:

ANTM keeps getting renewed because it has better ratings than BatB and is making money through syndication and more episodes for syndication and sold very well internationally and has copycat versions in most countries and it’s one of two of the highest rated non scripted shows on cw and one of the only two sucsessful no scripted/reality shows.Its been on 21 cycles(21 starts in summer)& 11 years because it makes cw money.BatB won’t last near 10 years/seasons.ANTM is also a cheap to produce and getting better ratings on fri in much later seasons than BatB on Mon in its second.You should not disrespect a show cause you don’t like it or disrespect a show to prop up your favorite show.The logic of what goes & what gets renewed is simple:a show has high ratings /makes enough money for the network to justify keeping it, it gets renewed.A show has low ratings/low viewership and dosent make enough money to cover the cost of producing it, it gets cancelled.ANTM also does very well and better than BatB in W18-34 and has DVD/other merchandise sales.Shows ARE NOT RENEWED OR CANCELLED BaSED ON VIEWER PErCePTION OF QUALITY!.ANTMalso a couple seasons ago had the highest or one of the highest ad rates on cw ,meaning the network could charge advisers a lot to advertise during it and advertisers paid a lot to advertise during it.

• Brandyhjyk says:

Oh and just cause YOu don’t like ANTM dosent mean it dosent have plenty of fans.How would feel if someone said”Why did BatB get renewed?Its an awful/boring show.Yet the better superior show EOMD was cancelled and shouldn’t have been.BatB should’ve cancelled””for example.So you shouldn’t say something similar about how BaTB is quality and ANTM isn’t and should be cancelled.

• There are so many commercials that run during BATB so they must be paying to advertise during this excellent series. BATB is a well written series with substance and it’s a great new take on the old BATB. This show just keeps getting better with each episode so it should definitely be given a chance to grow – it’s a great escape and leaves you wondering what’s going to happen next week. Some t.v. viewers don’t know what has substance and what is stupid. A lot of the stupid sitcoms get high numbers, but that doesn’t mean they’re great shows. It depends on the viewers taste and to cancel a great series that has intense fans is a big mistake. BATB should definitely be renewed for Season 3. The fans can’t wait for the show to return in January and look forward to it’s renewal for a third season. There’s nothing boring about “Beauty and The Beast – quite the contrary. If you don’t like it, then don’t watch it and tune in to the many stupid boring shows that crowd the airways.

• Brandyhjyk says:

I do like and watch it, but think this season isn’t as good as last.Anyway, my point was you shouldn’t put down a show you don’t like ( ANTM) to build up BatB cause you wouldn’t like it if someone put down BatB to say how much better they think another CW show is.

• I see you’re not hesitant to put down BATB just because you’re crazy about ANTM. I’ll defend BATB because as I said before this show has substance and there’s a very good story line to it. ANTM is just another one of those boring reality shows. Who cares to watch such a boring show that’s been around much too long already. So I guess you think you’re the only one that can say that the shows you like are the best and should be kept on. I’ve said that everyone has their own likes and dislikes about what they watch, but you seem to be the one that wants to put down shows you don’t like so you can keep some boring shows you happen to like on. I’m not having this stupid conversation with you any further.

• Brandy says:

Also, quality & taste are subjective.What you think is bad, others think are good.What you think is good,otherts think are bad.You said it yourself, it depends on viewer taste.My EOMD was an example of someone putting down BatB to build up thier show like you how you put down ANTM to make BatB look good.

• The network is going to do what it wants to do and some of the best shows don’t get a chance to survive. Whatever you say or I say isn’t going to save a show if the network wants to ax it. So I guess you’re ANTM will continue to survive and my question is why when it doesn’t offer anything new each week that it’s on. That’s all I have to say on this stupid subject.

• Brandy says:

YOU’RE the one saying”I don’t like Top Model.Its boring.It should be cancelled.But BaTB is amazing and should be renewed, just cause I like it.”Youre the on tvseriesfinale saying CD,HoD should be cancelled cause you don’t like them ,and find them boring.How about instead of trashing other shows ?How bout saying “BatB is great show and I’d like it to be renewed” instead of CD,ANTM,HoD are boring ,cancel them.Renew BatB”.I do like BatB but like many other fans,don’t like the direction of season two.Ive also never said a show I disk like should be cancelled to keep a show I do like on either,because I know it how it feels to have people trash a show you like.You wouldn’t like it someone called BatB boring and said it should be cancelled in favor of TTP, for example.So don’t do it to others.

29. Kris says:

I recorded Reign on a whim because I am a HUGE History buff (it was my major in college). Honestly it’s the CW so let’s be real – it’s not even close to accurate. However, it reminds me of the good old days in High School when I would stay up late and watch One Tree Hill; so campy and so dramatic. I recorded the first 7 episodes and watched them all in the same day! The only thing I am disappointed to see is Grey’s Anatomy getting picked up again. The show is just soooooo awful now it’s hard to watch and Christina is my all time favorite character. After she leaves I’m sure I won’t be able to stomach it any longer.

30. Lindsey says:

I’m so serious if they don’t renew Revenge and Betrayal I will never start a new show again! This happened every time I get into a show they cancel it and ABC is the WORST to do that!!! SO upset!

31. jessica says:

Please bring back the 666 park ave. Its a great serie I cannot wait to see!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!

32. jessica says:

666 park ave. Is great to be seen serie. Can they at least make few more seasons????

33. yes says:

Shocked Good Wife has sure thing as update.

I’d love to know updated dates on each page.

34. I love the show betrauyal acting is great and love james cromwell as the bad buy why dont they cancel other shows not this its just as good as scnadal if not better i dont understand

35. I am also a big castle fan and it goes away for so long cuz i think they are have trouble writing good scripts for it cuz soemtimes it get downright stupid

36. Allison says:

I hope they keep reign! It’s such a great show, can’t wait for it to come back on!! My new favourite!! I’m so sick of the heart of Dixie ,the Carrie diaries and the vampire diaries!

37. Nadia says:

Is it true that either “Reign” or “the tomorrow people” will be renewed, but not both??
    I really hope not, i like “The tomorrow people” a lot, but i LOVE “Reign” and would choose it over the other show in a heartbeat ! Unfortunately I’m not from the Unites States so my rating doesn’t count :(

38. Rick says:

Under FOX you need to add American Dad! as Cancelled with the notation that it is moving to TBS in 2014.

Also what about FOX’s ADHD block, i.e. Axe Cop and High School USA! does anyone know if FOX is cancelling or ending those shows or the entire ADHD block altogether or has it been renewed for the 2014-2015 season? I’d really like to know.

39. Judy says:

The Good Wife is my favorite show! I’m searching for the January episodes. Please renew!

40. Buffy says:

we can say “RENEW” our favorite shows, but the CW is going to do what it plans to do and some of the shows we love are going to be gone. They don’t care what the viewers want and we’re the ones who shouldn’t get hooked on these shows. If two of my favorites go, then I’m done watching anything on the CW. They’re just too fast to get rid of some excellent series. It would be great if the shows that do get cancelled can move to other networks then the CW won’t have many viewers at all, and we’ll get to see our favorites.

41. lilly says:

>.< i just need to no if ben 10 alian force will be back in 2014!? i LOVE u KEVIN!!!! <3

42. madbengalsfan85 says:

I suspect the only reason Bones isn’t a “Sure Thing” is the unknown status of David and Emily…if they want to come back, it’s almost a certainty that FOX renews the show for s10

43. Sarah says:

I’m happy Bones is at least “A safe bet” now and not “Could go either way”, which was stupid, IMO.

44. Spencer says:

Currently sobbing because Parks and Rec is “could go either way”

45. anita fields says:

I hope the mentalist is not cancelled, but it is not better than the Good Wife. The person who said Good Wife suck haven’t watched it from the beginning to now. The writing has gotten better. Pretty genius to me. Reign is a good show, and so is Sleepy Hollow didn’t think I would like it I enjoy it. I don’t care for Betrayal the acting is not good except for James Cromwell excellent actor.

46. Bob buckley says:

The same old shows. Please somebody take a chance on a lot of new shows. Tired of the same kind of shows on every network and then some shows run 2 – 3 times a week.

47. heather says:

REIGN REIGN REIGN!

48. heather says:

nashville!

49. Dee Kottkamp says:

I hope Trophy Wife gets renewed.

50. Noah says: