CBS Prepping How I Met Your Mother Spin-Off

How I Met Your MotherMeeting the mother? Done that. Now, CBS is looking to the future with a How I Met Your Mother spin-off that focuses on a father.

CBS is talking with 20th Century Fox TV about a possible offshoot of the popular comedy, which will end this season. According to our sister site Deadline, the spin-off concept follows a new group of friends, including a young woman who’s relating the story of how she fell in love with her children’s dad.

RELATEDHow I Met Your Mother Welcomes Back James Van Der Beek as Robin’s Ex-Boyfriend

HIMYM co-creators/executive producers Carter Bays and Craig Thomas would write and executive produce the project, tentatively called How I Met Your Father, with Up All Night creator/EP Emily Spivey.

The new show’s central characters could be introduced in the HIMYM series finale; there’s also buzz that McLaren’s Pub may be featured in the potential comedy.

RELATED | TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Music From HIMYMSuits, New GirlSleepy Hollow and Other Shows

When asked at Comic-Con about the possibility of such a project, Thomas joked, “I don’t want to confirm or deny. You never know. There’s CSI: Miami. Maybe it’s How I Met Your Father: Miami.”

Would you watch a HIMYM spin-off? Sound off in the comments!

1. nev says:

no, it is a bad idea..

2. Vissy says:

Why?? Can’t the networks come up with original ideas anymore?? It’s alla spinoff lately, it’s getting really annoying….and this one doesn’t sound promising AT ALL!
    Pass!

3. Elly says:

Maybe they could use Ted’s sister as the main character (show how she met her children’s father). That way, we could still see the original characters, or at least hear mention of them.

4. Jay says:

I’d hate for the finale to be a backdoor pilot.

5. Azerty says:

Ho come on HIMYM ran out of ideas after season 4 or 5 and now they want to do a spin off? I can’t disagree, the pitch you guys made with Lyndsee Fonseca sounds really exciting but I don’t know if the writers would be able to find new stories and gags for a whole new show.

6. Kate says:

WHAT? Another 9 years of this? You have got to be kidding! I love How I met your Mother, but even this one’s been dragging for 2 seasons too long…. Wouldn’t it be better to start something new?

7. Kelly says:

The ONLY thing that is good about this announcement is the fact that it won’t include any of the original cast. That means Cobie is free to move over to Agents of Shield. That show needs help and she is just the person to save it.

8. Melanie says:

At first I was sorta excited, but now I’m wondering if I actually want to see a woman trying to find love and complaining every episode about her singles hipness

9. Leah says:

surely cbs or tvline is confused what time of year it is and this is an early April fools joke

10. sha100 says:

Still don’t know about this yet but I’m probably not going to watch.

11. John 1138 says:

Put the right people in it and why not? It’s all about the talent.

12. JenInChicago says:

Dear lord, why? No way I’m watching that.

13. might be a good idea as long as you have some or all original cast from how i met your mother

14. BrianR says:

Great another 10 years of this.Come on how about “What happened after I met your mother” instead.

15. Luke says:

I don’t like this idea at all. A great idea would be about Marshall and Lily. Topics would include Marshall saving the world with Martin Short, The Ted/Robin Bet, what happens to the mother, Marshall and Lily’s second baby, and Ted and Robin’s future. (Barney should be single again before he marries the one) The current cast is great! The show could star Jason and Allyson and guest star Josh Radnor Cobie Smulders and Neil Patrick Harris once in a while.

16. Brian says:

I’d give it AT least 3 episodes to see how well the spin-off goes before deciding to either keep watching or turning off the TV.

17. Beth says:

Not a How I Met Your Father, but I’d possibly watch something based around Ted’s sister. She popped up for just the one episode and it’d be interesting to see what happened with her.