Exclusive

American Idol Exclusive: A New Crop of Hopefuls Star in Artsy Season 13 Teaser!

Press pause on Candice Glover‘s “Lovesong” for just a second, Idoloonie Nation. Fox is debuting a new promo for American Idol Season 13 during tonight’s World Series Game 6, and we’ve got your exclusive first look!

The 30-second spot — branded with the hastag #thisisreal — features dozens of real-life contestants strolling through paths in what look their hometowns: beaches, dirt roads, office corridors, scenic docks, church aisles and sidewalks.

“The road to American Idol makes dreams a reality,” reads the accompanying text, subtly reminding viewers of the show’s history in discovering and launching actual, chart-topping talent. As the screen begins to flash images of singers holding up their audition tags — and the inevitable montage of post-Golden Ticket spazz-outs — the promo’s ultimate message is revealed: “The search for a superstar — American Idol, this January.”

Will you be taking another Idol journey come 2014? Are you digging the use of real contestants in the promo? Sound off below!

1. Hamish says:

Like the sucker that I am, I’m in… ;-)

• Teresa Kelley says:

I personally like to be surprised. But I’m not gonna hate. I do have a question however … I have tried to learn HOW CAN I NOMINATE A CONTESTANT FOR 2014 ?? I THOUGHT I had sent an email immediately after the 2013 Finale but have NOT yet received any reply — I’m guessing I did not send it to any party that cared or knew …. Please advise as time is short – TY (MomInStL)

• Shazay says:

Have you even watched the show? Contestants aren’t nominated….they audition.

• Montavilla says:

Last year, they did have a “nominate an Idol” program. I remember Randy Jackson surprising some girl at a karaoke bar. But I don’t know if they’re still doing that, or how it worked.

• Shaun says:

Last season some families or friends nominated a singer who either couldn’t attend or didn’t have enough confidence.

2. Tom22 says:

Look like nice college age kids. Its great to watch young people that age.. old enough to have had a little bit of indepentant time outside their parents house but young enough to be really idealistic. Nice a and friendly is a step above that. They should choose contestants that you wouldn’t mind having on a family road trip diving hours a day between destinations. Cordial, pleasant , good coversationalists.

With miillions of citizens they could certainly find plenty of kids with those attibutes that have god given voices and super work habits they’ve used to hone those talents.

Season 10′s 10 finalists all came close to that description. It was a pleasure just to get to “know’ the kids. I don’t think any of them had a sob story unless you consider needing to work as a janitor in an amusement park before you’ve found a career for yourself a tradgedy.

• Tom22 says:

Just remembered there was a little hardship in a James Durbin’s life they played up for a little while. He was such a good up beat kid I forgot .. didn’t register enough to remember.

Seriously.. would it be that bad to have all fit and intelligent men and women that you’d tend to find at good Universities (not that they need to actually have had the opportunity to go) .. there is just a light in kids eyes who have their whole act together.

The winner of this year’s project runway fit what I’m trying to get at.. Dom Streater.. Give us a crowd of contestants with even a quarter of Dom’s charm and ablity in their given field and the season will be a joy no matter who wins.

3. ChellemaBelle says:

So total departure from other singing shows… focus on contestants and not judges this year. (I’ve already tried to obliterate my memories of last year’s cat fights and non-sensical ramblings).

4. Ginger Snap says:

You know I am really bored with reality singing competitions. I am enjoying the quick pace of The Voice & love that DWTS got rid of the insipid results night. Ah if only this show could figure something out.

And I don’t wanna watch JHo.

• Jake says:

I’ve read somewhere on here that they’re actually taking the Idol Results Night down to 30 minutes. That’ll be nice. I always skipped through 90 percent of the results anyway.

• Krista says:

JHo? Kinda a derogatory and sexist remark. JLO isn’t any worse than Paula or Nicki/Mariah.

• Aprilcot says:

I agree with the first part of your statement but disagree with the second. She’s *much* worse than Paula and maybe even Nicki/Mariah.

• Ginger Snap says:

If you will recall, JHo used her time on Idol for self-promotion, like her latest single or whatever products she was pimping. So the moniker fits. Idol almost got the judging panel right. But the show itself has become stale. And the new group running things don’t get it.

5. Michael says:

Still the best. Can’t wait.

6. Brandy says:

YES YES YES. Cannot wait.

7. dj says:

I’ll probably watch if I can get my family on board, but only because it’s in January and I need something to take my mind of the four-five months of winter still ahead in Minnesota.

8. Aprilcot says:

I’ve been trying (unsuccessfully) to break up with this show for awhile now, and after the announcement they were returning to the debacle that was JLo I was prepared to do just that. Then they had to go and throw the amazing Harry Connick Jr. into the mix and now they’ve sucked me back in.

9. Marc says:

sorry but they lost me at JHo is back

10. Terry says:

“makes dreams a reality” B.S.! More like, makes nightmares a reality. Getting signed only to be summarily dropped when the sales don’t meet the labels unrealistic expectations. Or not getting signed at all. Having your ego inflated for 9 months only to come crashing back down to reality when it all comes to an end.

• Jess says:

ya, that’s the reality for 99% of the contestants that are processed throught the idol machice, only 2 significant success stories in 12 seasons of idol ain’t nothing to be excited about. imho.

• chistosa says:

Perhaps you and I define “significant success” quite differently but many of the contestants are making a nice living doing what they love. David Cook has been out performing and doing well, of course Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson. And then there is Chris doughtry doing well. And let us not forget Jennifer Hudson. How do you define success? Kelly Pickler has a new record out, Scotty has a new record out which is doing well on the country charts. Phil Phillips has songs going platinum. And what about all those who have landed successful Broadway careers? So Jess I ask you, how do define success? Are you in the public eye with your name still a household word doing what you love and earning money for it? imho Many contestants have achieved a level of “significant success”

• Jess says:

That’s really not that many when you think of all the kids that have been on the show the past 12 seasons. Idol’s tag line for the upcoming season is “the search for a superstar”, from all the people you mentioned only 2 could be considered superstars. You can disagree, I don’t really care. My point was that idol churns out a heck of a lot more failures than successes.

• HTGR says:

And AI (and to some extent xfactor) don’t care if they damage people along the way (see Haley in particular) if someone isn’t fitting into how they scripted the season. At least The Voice just about never seems to damage anyone for ratings games or other dirty tricks.
            And they do drop them fast on AI, heck they didn’t even let a single single that Haley wrote herself drop, just the one they wrote for her (which was far from the most radio friendly of the lot) since they’d get the most profit from that one. And then Angie they blocked her single from charting, even just on iTunes, to protect sales of the ones they had to sign so that didn’t really help her any. Not saying she would have taken off, but that doesn’t help anyone. And you really need to out and out win for Idol to do anything really big for you these days (although you can still get some fun future opportunities here and there out of it at least even if you don’t win). No non-winners have been given any decent promotion to speak of for a while and none have sold for quite a few seasons now, no matter how talented.
            All the shows overblow it. I mean on The Voice too they were telling everyone sorry you have to leave but you’ll be all over the radio soon, no doubt, no doubt to like 90% of the top 20 each season. I mean a positive send off is good and it’s just a reality show so it’s true that not winning is absolutely no reason to give up and some may make it, but they do kinda put it in rather overblown and optimistic terms and only maybe twice has it really even remotely met any such expectations and even then not really.

• Gabriella says:

I used to be able to just watch the show for light entertainment and not follow or care what happened afterwards. But during season 10 I went and got invested in a particular contestant who didn’t win and subsequently didn’t succeed in the ‘real world’ either. Seeing that really left me disillusioned with the whole process and I can’t bring myself to watch the show anymore. It just makes me too angry knowing what they’re paying the host and the judges and tptb while they use and abuse these kids for drama and then kick them to the curb. For idol to suggest that they’re searching for a superstar is laughable.

• HTGR says:

+1 exact same here and I think involving the same contestant hah, now that they are bringing back the two who were most actively a part of that disgusting debacle of fakery and dirty tricks there is no way I can watch this upcoming season. The cut down every way they could and damaged that contestant all for stupid season script and some cheap drama here and there.
            I used to just take it all lightly and was whatever about it all, but that was such a travesty of dirty tricks and sometimes in a mean spirited way for no reason whatsoever.
            As it is I’ve skipped half of more of the last few seasons since then and all my other friends haven’t watched a minute since the S10 semi-final (they couldn’t bear to watch the final, nor could I, nor could many since that was the first time the finale of Idol never got a certain huge percentage viewership bump and I noticed S11 started down by the same percentage).
            When they dumped Nigel I thought it meant they finally got it, but then bringing back Randy in such a huge capacity and bringin JLo back, oh well, I guess they didn’t get it one bit. How do you trust JLo who was such a sell out? Same for Randy? JLo was so crazily rich enough it was pathetic for her to sell out.

11. Shaun says:

After what the voters did to Angie I’m still kinda mad.

• jack green says:

oh puhleez drop Angie already would ya? She’s back home doing nothing special. To LA in January to try and find a label..IF she were as good as you think..she’d have been signed by now. Talk about an inflated ego.

12. Teeny Bikini says:

The problem with the show was not the promos.

13. HTGR says:

I don’t hints at anything that went wrong here being improved. Still not watching. Randy and JLo back? Who made the judging of S10 go from suspect at times to total (and even mean spirited) farce? Heck no.
    Dumping Nigel seemed to send a signal, but then when Randy takes over for Jimmy and JLo comes back it proved that dumping of Nigel meant nothing at all.
    Not watching. Done.