The Voice Recap: Stealing Home [Updated]

Matthew Schuler Will Champlin The Voice KnockoutsI could kick off this recap of The Voice‘s final set of Knockout Rounds complaining about Carson Daly’s “coming up on…” teases — and how they snuff out suspense like a fire hose pointed at a toddler’s birthday candles. But no — this time around I’m gonna focus on the positives:

* We were treated to four or five performances during the two-hour telecast that were promising enough to signal a potential Season 5 champ.

* While at least one terrific prospect walked the guillotine, the two remaining Steals were used in ways that did not leave me blind with rage.

* And nobody got the dreaded montage treatment (aka The Voice equivalent of dropping a rock in a contestant’s trick-or-treat sack)!

Anyhow…enough kudos for Mark Burnett & Co. — lest they get swelled heads! Let me jump to a ranking of each of tonight’s Knockouts from least- to most-promising winner. (In the interest of time — and being able to crank out an X Factor recap as well — I’ll try to limit my reviews to a Twitter-esque 140 characters or less):

8) Team Blake: Austin Jenckes (“I’ll Be) defeats Brandon Chase (“Even if It Breaks Your Heart”) | Austin sounded solid enough, but if he wants to build some buzz vs this deep field, he’s going to have to be more daring in the song-selection dept.

6) Team Adam: James Wolpert (“More Than a Feeling”) defeats Juhi (“I Heard It Through the Grapevine”) | There were moments when James’ pitch matched his passion and ambition, but since when is he supposed to be the bombastic classic rock dude? Terry McDermott, you’re not, buddy. Personally, I’d have given the win to Juhi

5) Team Blake: Ray Boudreaux (“Hard to Handle”) defeats E.G. Daily (“I Can’t Make You Love Me”) | With his nifty sense of rhythm and cool, Ray totally dominated over a crackly-nervous E.G. Still, I’d like to see him wrap his signature style around some less obvious song choices going forward, wouldn’t you? I mean, there’s got to be a well of untapped creativity in there.

4) Team Cee Lo: Tamara Chauniece (“No One”) defeats Stephanie Anne Johnson (“Don’t Know Why”) — Stephanie Anne stolen back by Xtina | The night’s most closely matched battle featured two women who scored major points for originality, as Xtina noted. I adored Stphanie Anne’s mixture of power and squeak on her Norah Jones cover — even if she overbaked the embellishments on one or two occasions. Tamara, for her part, started a little too clipped to sound truly reggae, but by the time she’d finished with a flourish of shriekeration, I was at the cash register, buyin’ what she was sellin’. Xtina’s Steal meant happy endings and good vibes all around. Hurrah!

3) Team Xtina: Jacquie Lee (“Stompa”) defeats Anthony Paul (“The Other Side”) | Given Anthony’s self-immolating performance, the bar was set low for a Jacquie victory. But her awesome choice of Serena Ryder’s retro-funky earworm — and her near-perfect pitch — proved downright revelatory. We might’ve lost Juhi this week, but a new teen-queen contender has emerged in her place. Viva Jacquie!

2) Team Xtina: Matthew Schuler (“Cosmic Love”) defeats Will Champlin (“When I Was Your Man”) — Will stolen back by Adam | Wait, what did I say about Stephanie and Tamara being the most closely matched? Scratch that. Matthew came out roaring on one of those pedal-to-the-medal Florence + the Machine vocals that could’ve easily gone off the rails but miraculously, never did. The kid is a total beast. To my ear, though, Will’s gruff, heartbroken Bruno Mars cover was even better. The depth of emotion on his crackling “oooh-ooohs” alone signaled that he’s a legit Top 6 contender.

1) Team Cee Lo: Caroline Pennell (“The Way I Am”) defeats George Horga Jr. (Ne-Yo’s “Because of You”) | I’m never one to prematurely crown a winner on a reality singing competition, but win, lose or get sabotaged by Cee Lo’s wackiness, I’m ready to pre-order Caroline’s debut CD based off her sublime, razor-precise interpretation of Ingrid Michaelson’s ditty. As Blake put it, “Caroline makes me want to buy a cat and a pink blanket, and build a little fire in the house, and just curl up with a cup of hot chocolate.” Poor George never stood a chance, though let’s be honest: If he got half of the production and marketing boost as Justin Bieber, there’s no reason the kid couldn’t or shouldn’t be a huge star, too.

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of tonight’s Knockout Rounds? Did you disagree with any of the coaches’ decisions on Knockout wins or Steals? Sound off in the comments!

1. Mo Saïd says:

Team Xtina is phenomenal. Stephanie was HEAVEN. HEAVEN.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Yup. I thought the judges were waaaaay off with Stephanie. She commanded that song. It was crazy awesome. Good for Xtina for stealing her back. With every performance she gets better. I think all of the teams are strong, but Blake’s maybe. I do like Shelby Z though….

• Mo Saïd says:

If Blake wins this season I will be livid. I’ll be convinced people are simply voting for his team because of his likeable personality.

• And the likable, entertaining contestants with whom he populates his team.

• Mo Saïd says:

Not this season by any means.

• Really? Okay. We’ll see. They are always fun. They are always personable. That’s what Blake can teach them–how to entertain. And entertainment and feeling genuine go a really long way.

Shelby Z has the best stage presence of anyone right now. And even shy Austin and Ray come across as sweet, nice, honest guys. Blake will get them to open up and people will vote for them. Tessanne is still learning to lighten up but unlike Adam other big voiced divas she seems open and people like Kat have energy, but kinda worried she’s gonna set someone’s car on fire. Preston is cool and he wants to entertain. Matt loves the attention but it throws him and he just runs at his songs full speed. There is a lot of talent this season. But people will vote for Blake because they like the contestants and they find them entertaining.

• Tyler says:

@ tvwillrotyourbrain: Did you really find Holly Tucker and Danielle entertaining? I thought Holly had no personality–she always seemed to have this pouty look on her face. And Danielle was sweet and all but that was about it. Just because you’re sweet doesn’t mean you’re entertaining.

• Lumplestilskin says:

And yet who is the highest-charting iTunes singer of the entire season?
            Cole Vosbury – TEAM BLAKE

• Ed says:

Sorry, this time around Blake has the WEAKEST team by far; if he does win it will be because of HIS star power, and that defeats the whole purpose of the show!!!

• Ell says:

I like team Adam, but Nick Hawk team Blake has the best stage prescience.No Talent????

• Teeny Bikini says:

That would be sketchy since most of the stronger singers are definitely elsewhere.

• HTGR says:

+1 plus he already got rid of two of the only three members of his team I even cared about! And it’s mostly a bland team again, but as we’ve seen that doesn’t matter a whit for how his team fares.

• Lumplestilskin says:

Blake’s team has Cole Vosbury, Shelbie Z., Nic Hawk, Ray Boudreaux…. those are some pretty entertaining people. Shelbie and Nic are outright CHARACTERS…. can’t really call that a “bland” team.

• The Guest says:

But on the other hand, it’s perfectly acceptable to vote against a coach regardless of who his singers are? Double standard much?

• Jaila says:

I haven’t heard anyone mention when CeeLo said the people on Blake’s team had no talent–only half-jokingly. Think that will get people voting who might have been lukewarm before? People like who people like and they get protective. All the trash talk about Blake’s team last year was a factor in the voting. Methinks his detractors are fooling themselves.

• Mikko says:

I don’t know about that. Cole Vosbury of the team Blake was fabulous and creative in his singing and playing the guitar. He had the best performing single “Let Her Go” from the knockout rounds in iTunes, Caroline Pennell got quite close, but all the others were quite faraway. Of course iTunes do not tell everything at all, but Danielle Bradberry was leading in also iTunes the whole last season, so…If Cole will start the live shows as well as he did now, Blake might win again…

• Kaba says:

Caroline is still going up. She just performed a day ago. Not even a full day ago and she’s in the top 40s

• Jon says:

Agree about the coaches’ — and especially Adam’s — comments about Stephanie. I thought that Tamara won that knockout (because she dug deep and delivered her best performance so far). But Stephanie was wonderful and I can EASILY see her writing her own material for a neo-soul/jazz album. And I would buy it. Thanks for stealing her back, Xtina!

And Blake’s team ended up, IMO, waaaay stronger than I thought it would be, with sassy Shelbie Z, iTunes champ Cole and great vocalist Austin. Actually, this is the first year I can remember when I think ANY team could produce a winner…

• Teeny Bikini says:

Jon, this is gonna be exciting. I hope they keep it up. It is totally entertaining when “most” of the contestants can sing their tushies off. I love that kind of competition.

• Tom22 says:

I came to love Stephanie after not being that charmed with her in her first round. But, she chose a song and then tried to infuse some “glory notes” which, while far stronger and more pure than I thought she had in her… came off to me as “gratuitous” … they sorta fit what she was trying to do but still .. there is nothing I hate more on these competition shows than the so common “oversing”.. songs are a story or an emotion first… and Passion forced into a note where the prior verses didn’t set up that passion makes no sense.

I was slightly put off by Tamaras alternating from a sort of ethnic (it was a reggae song) voice and pure notes that were just a bit too round… they could have been strong and pure but sound a bit less “Broadway” in tone.. Not saying the performance was “Broadway” just many notes. The power in those notes however WAS perfectly logical in the places she put them in. So, while I had a sort of “hope you do it” for Stephanie.. I can see why they picked Tamara

Also.. while I m not really a fan of Ballad singers YOU NEED a couple on the Show. I want to see a diverse selection and while I would have been really mad without a few “indie” singers i think its also good to have a few balladeers.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Stephanie Anne Johnson is my absolute favorite this season. LOVE HER! That was a tough battle round. That other girl sang her face off and sounded awesome. When I saw Stephanie was paired against her and not George Horga, I had a moment of panic.

• Nancy says:

Matthew Schuler has got to be the frontrunner. Adam Levine even told him, “See you at the finals,” when they shook hands afterwards.

2. Kaba says:

I fully agree with your top 3 rankings tonight.
    Though I give Juhi a Hunger Games, “You will be missed” sendoff since she (along with wittle Georgie and Lina) were sacrificial lambs tonight..even though Christina clearly went blind and deaf for a moment and mistook Stephanie for Juhi.
    I wish Stephanie had won her knockout against Tamara….then Juhi would definitely be here D:
    Nonetheless, I’m rooting mainly for Jacquie this season. That girls voice is just so bluesy and so raw, raspy, and…yes.
    Caroline makes me happy.
    Matt is the male equivalent of Tessanne (but with feeling).

• Jon says:

I fully disagree with Michael’s rankings tonight. I enjoyed Caroline’s performance (way more than I thought I would), but to rank her ahead of Matthew, Will, Tamara, Stephanie, Preston and Austin? NO. Just no. And please don’t say she’s so “original,” as is said about every indie girl with a warbly voice.

Some of these Knockout choices were just impossible. Tamara’s vocals and arrangement were fabulous, but I LOVED everything about Stephanie’s performance. (Hope Xtina suggests a Phoebe Snow song for her.) Xtina was absolutely right about Austin oversinging “I’ll Be,” but I love his voice anyway. And Matthew is just on another level entirely. LOVE his power, emotion, precision and excellent song choices. And I’m heading to iTunes now to buy his single. What a show!

• Kaba says:

I don’t agree with you, but to each their own haha.

• AlyB says:

For me it would be Matthew, Caroline then Will but the rest of the list is pretty spot on with the exception of James. I’m not feeling him at all. Maybe I’m just bitter because I think Will should have won the battle last week and I hated losing Juhi in the knockout against him tonight. Right now it seems like they all have great voices. It’s going to be more about song choice & style going forward.

• Tyler says:

I agree. I think Juhi got burnt not once–but twice!! IMO CeeLo had no business keeping George–especially since he got rid of him in the knockouts. He should’ve kept Juhi because then he wouldn’t have to say things like “I would’ve stolen her back if I still have a steal.” And as much as I liked James in the blinds, he has gone downhill ever since. I have no idea why Adam kept him. I mean, Blake didn’t keep Holly because she turned in the weaker performance. Well, what about James?! I thought he turned in the worst performance of the night. It was pitchy all over the place. It’s a shame Juhi went home–especially since she was better than both George and James.

• Tom22 says:

My heart was much more with Juji going in but James brought me around. Neither picked songs that show exactly who they are which cost other strong singers the chance to move on in this round .. but they both made the same “mistake” . James picked a “no where to hide”song .. jeeze to power through those notes was insane even if he wobbled a bit toward the end. Sort of the opposite of Holly picking the wrong song and showing what she couldn’t do. He picked the wrong song but showed he had the voice to do it. Juji picked a song that couldn’t really show what she could do, and when she tried to intersperse he style in verses then return to a power version.. it was sort of confusing and left me wondering if she had the force of will to convince the music director to change a song entirely by explaining how.. OR else picking a song where she could naturally show herself. Thats my 2 cents.. on those two .

• HTGR says:

He didn’t show he could do it last night, maybe in rehearsal, but not last night and he seemed calculated and dull the other weeks to me. You get on Holly, but at least she had one blown ‘em away live, James has had none, just one in rehearsal, maybe that’s enough, but if so how the heck can you not say so for Holly too?

• Tom22 says:

I’ve said I really liked Holly HTRG – I was talking about the ability to power through some difficult notes that need to be sustained in both of the songs they sung that didn’t fit either of them. Just because I criticize parts of something or praise parts of something doesn’t mean that’s my opinion of the whole.

• Tom22 says:

Probably still didn’t use the right words. I like the song Creep and think it would have been a great song for Holly if she had the vocal arrows in her quiver(and clearly she related to the lyrics and melody). James? didn’t expect him to sing a rock song like that..even if he screwed it up worse. I’m not talking about who was better.. just remarking on that irony.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I love Juhi, but I think she gets so excited she loses a bit of control of her voice. She was a lot of fun to watch. But I just love Caroline. She is fresh, young, different and totally unaffected. Lots of talent this season and STRONG teams. This is gonna be interesting.

• Kaba says:

Her singing is so personally calculated though. She knows her voice well enough for me to believe that when her voice falls out it’s on purpose. I don’t think anything really ever goes wrong by accident with her.

• AlyB says:

I love that about Caroline’s voice. I could listen to her for a long time. I think she, Juhi’s & Holly would have done some great iTunes sales since they’re voices are so distinctive, the covers they did sounded unique to them. I do love a great powerhouse singer but they’re song choices get stale and they all start to sound the same to my e. I’m glad Caroline is still in the game. I love Stefanie too. Her voice call a cool indie vibe but with power when she needs it and she seems to have the innate musicality to change things up enough to keep it interesting. Tessane is a force to contend with vocally but she’s not grabbing me as an artist. Jaquie Lee is amazing. I can’t believe that bluesy soulful voice pours out of that perky still playfully innocent young girl. For her it’ll be about selling her connection to a lyric.
          Matthew, Will & Jonny are probably my favorite guys. There is a wealth of talent this season though & I don’t think there’s anyone that can’t deliver a good performance. I just think the powerhouses are going to start to blend together & the ones with a distinct personality & delivery will stand out, at least where iTunes sales are concerned. I do think it’ll be a great season if the song choices are right. I do think we’ll be missing some spice with Holly & Juhi gone but that’s that.

Oh, that’s interesting….

• GregK says:

Caroline also has those beautiful eyes! My wife and I also loved Will’s performance, got the goosies from it!

• Venus says:

Jacquie at age 16 makes Danielle Bradbery wish she could sing

• Maria says:

I am so sad that Juhi was eliminated and no one was able to save her :( She deserved a spot in the lives more than other voices. In addition, some coaches let go of possible winners like Cole. What is wrong???? I feel like they need to change this process of elimination and saves and let judges pick from a pool of all the eliminated instead of immediately after a Performance. I still love the show and dont know how to choose a favorite bc I love jaquie, cole, matthew, caroline, tessane and preston (not in no woman no cry).

• Rita says:

Thank you for your good taste. Matt and Tessanne are on a totally different level. The others simply cannot even touch them. Just because the others are young, shouldn’t give them extra point.

3. Jim says:

Holly Henry </3

• trimaran12 says:

Seriously? With all due respect, she had her chance last night and she was terrible. However, you can still follow her on youtube and support anything she might do in the future.

• Jim says:

I know she sucked, I still miss her on the show though :-/

• trimaran12 says:

Even if she did well yesterday and made it through, she wouldn’t be on tonight’s show. And she didn’t die. She just won’t be on the show any more. That’s probably for the best as she was too inexperienced, imo.

• HTGR says:

Well people said (on this forums and in the audience when she sang last time, although clearly not the general public as you saw the live public reaction votes before she sang, they were not so fickle) the same about Rachel Potter after her last round, she messed up, how could you save her, etc. How fickle after her amazing audition and other body of work. And lo and behold she was phenomenal tonight! You don’t toss away that much potential so easily. Now maybe Holly’s nerves get to her again and she wouldn’t have been ready to handle it and it’s better for her career she left, but man maybe she’d have done a Rachel Potter and blown you all away again next week, I wouldn’t have been the slightest bit shocked.

• Kaba says:

The difference being that Rachel didn’t mess up twice in a row.
          Adam himself said she didn’t do that great in her battle rounds either.
          *TheMoreYouKnow

• HTGR says:

Adam (and CeeLo and Xtina) were also said to have blasted Blake for how he handle that round for both Holly and Cilla (? sorry forget her name, they sadly buried her and never showed her once) though so Rachel didn’t have a round mixed in like that. Granted, Rachel also has a bit better nerves and a lot more experience dealing with it all so OK maybe she’s the safer bet this moment in this scenario, but still man, you gotta go with potential. Anyway it didn’t happen. A few others with awesome potential also got dumped this round. I would’ve found this to be the most annoying worst knockout round set of any season of The Voice by far…. except that somehow we still have like 15+ great singers left for lives!

• Kaba says:

I don’t always agree with going with potential.
            If you see the potential to be great…along with the potential to be terrible I don’t see the effectiveness in picking someone to go through. And Blake isn’t someone who wouldn’t pick based off potential. Obviously there was an excess in possibility to flop otherwise she would’ve been saved.

• Holly definitely would have gone farther than Nic who will be gone by the end of next week. Despite the sub-par performance, I am sure her version of Creep would have done better than Nic’s Genie in a Bottle. Even Holly’s montoged version of Torn charted higher than Genie in a Bottle.

• MC says:

Exactly. I’m sure Blake would have seen things differently if that knockout had been taped at a later time (after the ITunes sales, the hits for her videos and the general internet response to Holly). The producers and the coaches instead decided to make Caroline their chosen one for a young female indie artist. I don’t think the producers wanted Holly around to cancel out some votes that could go to Caroline. That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it.

• HTGR says:

I think that is why CeeLo had zero interest in her anymore. He already had his money on Caroline.

• MC, I have to admit that conspiracy theory crossed my mind (you can add Cee-Lo and Adam railroading Juhi for stupid reasons to that theory too). But the thing is, as the country season last year taught us, like genres artists do not cancel each other out, in fact the opposite, voters will just vote for them all instead of just picking their favorite.

• HTGR says:

True, I forgot, with the latest voting system there is no such thing as vote cancelling.

• MC says:

@scootermcgavin – I think you’re being a little too literal about the vote canceling thing. There were weeks last season when I only voted for one person. Sooner or later eveyone is going to settle on that one person who they prefer. My guess is Holly will have a hard time being that person now that she’s gone. It makes more sense to send a person (or persons) home to eliminate rivalries that would only diminish Caroline by placing her on an equal footing with others in her genre. The producers want to influence the show; that’s the way to do it. The Cassadee season was a great example because her potential rivals (except for Amanda) didn’t even make the top five (and some mysteriously disappeared before the top ten or even the top twenty). Ultimately, the goal would be a no-doubt win, such as Cassadee defeating Terry and Nicholas.
            How’s that for a conspiracy?

• MC says:

@scootermcgavin- Blake, despite the good ‘ol boy hijinx, is often the mouthpiece of the producers. Pay attention to Blake when he says something that isn’t a joke. These are a couple of things he has said so far this season (paraphrasing): (1) “These two girls (referring to Brianna and Shelby) are by far the hardest workers on my team.” (2) This girl (referring to Caroline) is easily the best singer-songwriter type on the show this season.” Those are two pretty profound statements that indicate Shelby and Caroline are going far in this competition. Finally, think what those two statements say about the other singers who were not praised in those comments.

• Kaba says:

you might just be overthinking it

• MC, just because you settled on one person does not mean everyone else does, my guess that the majority people vote for multiple singers they like throughout the competition especially when they are as homogeneous as they were last season. I have a hard time believing there were enough country fans voting last season to push four country singers to the top six with them only voting for one each.

And if the producers did get rid of Holly (and Juhi) it was not to give Caroline less competition, my guess is it would to avoid the all-country season from last season when they broke series low in the ratings multiple times and had the lowest rated performance finale in the show’s history. And they wanted to avoid this being the coffee house singer season. Granted if that were the case, it may have backfired because the ratings tanked on Tuesday after Holly was eliminated, down 0.7 ratings points from Monday and down 0.6 from the previous Tuesday (which was only an hour, considering how the show always grows every half-hour, it should not have shrunk that much with an extra hour).

• pcacala says:

She’s charted again tonight for Torn and The Scientist, where she’s #45 on the Alt charts – her third major peak and her first after elimination (she was #9 on Billboard). The Voice’s Achilles Heel is they pre-record in a vacuum and can’t react to an early breakout fan favorite, thus becoming a glitzy game show as opposed to a talent developing show. In listening to her upload this evening to SoundCloud of Creep – a full length version – we see where producers blundered by not permitting her stripped to the essentials but full length rendition. We now have Holly’s reluctant acknowledgement of a agoraphobia panic attack on stage. How many times do these singing game shows prostitute the social or physical shortcomings of their contestant’s to tug at our emotions? The Voice gave us no hit of it for Holly, allowing (to the show’s credit) for it to emerge in social media, just where it should on the artist’s own terms, for God’s sake. Alternative music doesn’t demand the relentless drive for perfection which oils The Voice. Instead, artists can keep their creative souls intact performing within their limitations. And we can revel in our relief from artists following “the formula.” As Holly sings in her autobiographical song Katie, “We are imperfect, what a lovely thing to be. You’re just a person, life is frailty.” Where’s that thinking among the postings about which contestant/coach beat whom, and how? IMHO, The Voice launched an inspirational musical poet, but failed to notice…

• will says:

Wait, did you just say the fact that they don’t get input from the viewers makes the competition LESS about talent? That’s absolutely the dumbest thing I’ve read in these comment sections since “Shelbie Boo Boo”

• The producers blundered? In what, not airing a recording session with multiple takes? It’s a live show. She sang it on her own. The producers didn’t manipulate her into breath control problems and pitch issues. It’s a good song for her, she just couldn’t sing it when it counted.

4. Virginia says:

Still love Preston the best!!

• Teeny Bikini says:

He gets me with the first note every time. The guy’s voice is hypnotic. The only other singer that is captivating in that way for me is Caroline. There’s my top 2.

• HTGR says:

Yeah love his vocal tone! Magical.

• Dennis Quaid Is Here! says:

Nothing against Caroline, but I’m just sooo over her kind of cutesy, quirky, borderline creepy Lorde-and-Melanie Martinez-esque voice (SLEZAK, YOU KING OF WITTY ADJECTIVES, YOU—WHAT IS THE TERM I’M LOOKING FOR HERE?) that this show is so obsessed about. There’s also something off about her to me. Like she’s the type of soft-spoken girl who seems sweet and shy in front of people, then goes home to secretly torture the bunny when things don’t go her way. Oh wait, I DO have some *things* against Caroline. Heh.

I will worship at Burnett’s feet if we can have be a Will v. Matthew v. Preston finale. (Speaking of Will, dorky guy’s tweets are dang funny. That’s added points in my book. i know it’s called The voice, but let’s get real here: personality goes a looong way in this crazy beeswax called show.)

• Kaba says:

Or you might just be thinking into it waay to hard.
          God forbid someone has nice personality and a voice to match.

• Tom22 says:

Funny, but all that you dislike about Caroline is all that I find so super about her. We can’t be wrong or right because I think its more about differences in “how we see the world” . I’ve got some tolerance for “main-stream” people. It would be nice if everyone had some tolerance for the odd ball slightly “indie-hip” types too even if it isn’t their cup of tea.

• KatK says:

She reminds me of Edith Bunker.

5. Spencer Leviathson says:

initial impressions: jacquie and ray also too high. would put matt over caroline b/c that song she did was just a little too perfectly suited for her voice

• Kaba says:

Jacquie is in the right spot…
      How does someone get demoted because a song fits them to the highest level of perfect?
      Whut?

• Spencer Leviathson says:

well….here me out… these rankings are on who I view as most promising not as which performance was better
        the artist that sings the song sounds just like caroline…im still not wholly convinced she will continue finding songs that fit her like a glove
        I feel as if matthew can succesfully sing a wider range of music

• Kaba says:

With all due respect I’m just going to have to make this a point now.
          A lot of times we feel like because people have a voice to cover and interpret many songs, they should. I don’t understand why an artist should subject to scrutiny because they sing what’s in the niche/comfort zone. Especially if it’s effective and ultimately gets them being popular.
          That was the biggest complaint about Danielle last season. That she and Blake played it much too safe. I don’t disagree with this logic anymore than I disagree that people that can, should. That being said Danielle had some BORING songs and made it through.
          If, as an artist, you can find what you like to do and keep people invested in believing in you I don’t see why you should have to cover all these kinds of songs just because :/
          I’m all for taking risks (which I think anyone can do while respectively staying in their preferred and intended genre) but to place matt higher because he can sing a wider range of music…when he is also effectively working on being a indie artist as well…

Not sure I agree with that entirely.

• MC says:

ITA. The worst thing a young singer in this format can do is attempt a song that is beyond their range or in a genre that is completely unfamiliar to them. It’s great to challenge yourself when performing in concert or in a club, but the format of The Voice penalizes that kind of risk-taking. Blake did exactly the right thing with sixteen year old Danielle. She can challenge herself outside the boundaries of the show and and that will be a great thing to do as she gains more experience. This is a show where everyone pounces on the slightest mistake, so risk-taking and overly ambitious song choices are generally not a good idea. Of course, an ambitious song for one singer may actually be right in the wheelhouse of another singer. A coach has to know the strengths and weaknesses of each individual singer on his/her team.

• Teeny Bikini says:

It amazes me how well Caroline knows what songs suit her voice. That is half the battle.

• Tom22 says:

I don’t mean it as an insult to Michael because he takes the time to really think and tell us what he enjoys. That being said, I know I won’t agree with many of his rankings…read him for too long. Thats all fine because I repect anyone who shares an opinion after taking the time to think and share why they liked it.

Personally, I din’t think Jaquie’s performance was that good… really weak in the beginning and while the emotion was cool at the end it felt forced in terms of connection and progression of the song. I think she has a chance to get it together but I think she would have l lost if against almost all of the winners and saves tonight. Anthony really really messed up … not just a few notes but didn’t seem to have any sense of groove…neither a modern urban spit or a older time bluesy groove. Really was wooden to me… he probably did have a terrible day but I’m more forgiving of a bum note than an inablity to get in line with a song that was not a bad choice of songs for him

• MamaLis says:

Word! I mean, Anthony was so bad they had to cut his performance. And then Jacquie… really? After I watched that round I thought Burnet might institute a No KIds edict for next year. I mean sure, she’s cute with great potential. But it was an awkward performance and she’ll be g-o-n-e in a short period of time.
        SO glad Will was picked back up. I get the feeling he’s a bit of a genius. Also loved his performance way more than Matt’s. And I get that Matt’s the “Mike Tyson,” but I’m not on his train.
        I still pick Preston for the win. I think the only reason he didn’t chart big last night was the song choice. But he’s awesome.

6. Spencer Leviathson says:

also: will has been a hard luck loser twice but theres something i really like about him.. glad hes made it through

• Teeny Bikini says:

Will keeps getting better. I liked him much better than Matthew, though both are uber talented. I appreciate a bit of subtlety and nuance over a full-on scream for the majority of the song. Matthew needs to be careful he doesn’t kill his vocal chords. Yay Will! He deserved both steals.

• analythinker says:

Stop reading my mind! :)

• Kaba says:

Will had bad control over his voice when it got raspy. No bueno

• Dawn says:

I agree. Matthew does to much screaming. I really can”t understand his words. He mumbles. I think he has a nice quality to his voice at times but I really think he is overrated.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Dawn, Thanks for bringing up the mumbling thing. He is someone that could really benefit from some actual coaching instead of unilateral praise on every performance. And his tweaks are so small, I can’t believe they aren’t mentioning them: 1) pronounce the words *clearly*, and 2) create moments – every second can’t be full throttle. It’s exhausting to watch. But I respect his stamina – how does he do it?!

• MC says:

ITA. Will won that battle in my mind. He showed a full range and told a story without any oversinging or histrionics.

• Matrix says:

Agreed. Matthew has talent but showed no dynamic range in the performance which ironically made it boring for me.

• MSNC says:

I think that Will should have won both battles so far, and James should have lost both battles.
            To my ears Will is great without shouting too much etc, i think he’s my fav and really hope that from now on its only about audience votes.
            James stole the slots of 2 major great contestants because his shouts sound promising although he never really had a perfect performance so far. not even in his first audition.

• MamaLis says:

I’m SO agreeing with this whole thread! I was starting to think I’m the only one that isn’t into the whole Matt thing. And actually, he seems like kind of a show-off to me. There, I said it.
            Way preferred Wil. Brilliant performance.

7. Ben says:

I think because they all performed their songs individually, I think you should rank them in that way too Michael. I thought some of these singers should rank higher than the others. Just saying.

• dj says:

I agree, I would like to see the performances ranked individually rather than the battles being ranked. I would put Preston higher on your list. I felt like the worst people tonight were better than the best people on X-Factor, although I only watched the first half of X-Factor, so it could have gotten better after I turned it off, but it had a long, long way to go to be anywhere near the level of talent on The Voice. There were so many good performances tonight, and a few battles that were amazingly close. I was happy with the steals tonight, and I thought Xtina did a great job coaching.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I am so impressed with Xtina this year. Her coaching is dead on. I think she definitely helped Will become a more versatile and nuanced singer. Well done.

• Jon says:

I know, right? I can’t believe how different Xtina is this year. She has been enthusiastic about singers on every other team (not just hers), and has been a really precise and specific coach.

• AlyB says:

I love hearing her actually full out sing her suggestions & give them ideas about movement for stage performance. She seems more invested in developing them to their full potential.

• HTGR says:

Yeah I have to say she’s been all around amazing this season in every possible way!

• HTGR says:

If you only watched the first half of xfactor tonight you watched the wrong half :). The girls were OK, it started out with some true pop xfactors, others were OK, but yeah no way they would’ve held their own on the The Voice this season.
        The boys were pretty weak and wouldn’t have held their own on The Voice this season, not even remotely close.

But then the ‘oldies’ hah the over 25s came on probably right after you shut it off and they schooled the youngins! A shame one had to go since all four were MILES ahead of any of the boys and also ahead of all the girls (although one girl does have some of the xfactor no doubt so in that sense maybe she held her own with them in a different way).
        I’d say the three over 25s who made it through would’ve held up OK on The Voice this season. There four good performances and three were really pretty damn awesome I have to say.
        The groups the first group sort of worked and was sort of cool but the two harmony girls had some bad misses and it wouldn’t have held up on The Voice.
        The Sweet group, the three girls, they had total girls group pop star potential and totally brought it (Simon was insane for almost letting them go, it made no sense, all the other judges raved about them, the audience went wild, they had easily the most live home votes and unlike the country guys who were all over the place vocally who he pimps like mad their live viewer voting scores rose after they sang, not fell). They do something very different than The Voice so it might not have fit The Voice this season at all, but they brought a totally legit pop star girls group performance to the table and in that sense could be said to be ones worthy for sure.
        The duo was cute, although I wonder if after some weeks it might wear out. They might last a little bit on The Voice but I’m sure they’d be going home and wouldn’t be in the title fight.
        The last group reminds me of Tate 2.0 or three Scotties, only three Scotties and Tates who don’t hit their pitches much of the time. I think they just see how the country crowd voted and watched en masse starting last season so they see a younger Tate x 3 and then the deep voice kid like Scotty to set all the tweens and, as we saw with the panel, women, swooning too. So they are pimping them like mad and they can do no wrong even when they do a lot of wrong. Ugh. Even Kelly Rowland’s brain shuts down and she goes all swoony when the deep voiced kids sings a few notes and her otherwise honest and sometimes cutting criticism goes by the wayside.
        But this is The Voice, she I gotta shut up. Yeah overall The Voice has massively better talent, although 3 of the 12 on xfactor really were good and would hold up (and one girl and one girl group would too, in an xfactor sort of different way).

• HTGR says:

If there any mods or if Michael sees this please delete my message just above, it’s much too long on xfactor stuff and I said what was appropriate for here regarding that stuff in two other radically shorter messages.

• Jenny says:

Why the heck are you talking about X factor. MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.

• Dennis Quaid Is Here! says:

X Factor??? Earth to HTGR …

• HTGR says:

As I already said, delete my post. And for the record, the poster above me brought it up and tvline didn’t give a place to comment about xfactor this week, but yeah as I already said myself, too much xfactor in that post of mine for this thread.

• dj says:

Thanks for letting me know what happened. It sounds like I did watch the wrong half. I wish my DVR worked right so I could record one show while I’m watching another.

8. alistaircrane says:

I loved Juhi. She was my favorite and now she is gone. :-(

• Jon says:

Loved Juhi too, and — based on those two specific performances — would have chosen her over James Wolpert. Plus she’s adorable and her genuine enthusiasm for the whole experience was wonderful to see.

• Kovan2 says:

Wow, James sucked tonight. Can’t believe Juhi lost to him on this night.

• MC says:

I had to listen to this knockout one more time. I heard James drop off from a couple of important notes and, as a result, he actually grimaced during the song. He immediately knew that he had blown it. I thought Juhi was a little too precocious for my taste until last night. Juhi did a nice job with a song that can sound moldy in the wrong hands. Juhi was the clear winner of this knockout in my mind.

9. Knock Out says:

WHOA! This is the most awesomazing Top 20 of The Voice Ever! So many great artists, We have Tessane, Matthew, Caroline, Preston, Will, Josh, Jacquie, Stephanie, Grey and even noteworthy ones like Olivia, Ray, Cole, James and Amber…

And I can’t forget even early performances from Holly Henry, Juhi, Timyra, Michael Lynch, EG, Ashley, Matthew C, and Jacob Poole…

Best season ever? Whoa! just whoa

• Teeny Bikini says:

DEFINITELY!! I was thinking the same thing. This is gonna be a close horse race so they will have to bring their very best every week. I have my favorites, but honestly there are quite a few that I wouldn’t mind seeing in the final 3. Just amazing.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Totally agreed. There’s only one of the 1 of the top 20 who makes me want to rip my eardrums out. The rest are pretty darn good. I’m digging so many of them… Caroline, Stephanie, Preston, etc. This might be their best season yet.

• HTGR says:

I have ZERO, ZERO clue as to who to even pick as my favorites for the finale. Just so many possibilities.

• Tom22 says:

After the show tonight I’m totally excited too. I won’t compare it to other seasons but if the season continued with just the winners of tonight alone I’d be really excited to keep watching (not dissing -all- from round 1 t but certainly I’m more excited about most we heard in round 2

10. Melanie says:

You have Preston rated way too low, Michael

• Matrix says:

Agreed

• will says:

Given that I would have chosen Lina over him, and the comment section for their round shows similar feelings from a good chunk of people, I’d say he’s right where he belongs compared to the other talent (and that’s also because I’m assuming Michael put Austin where he did based on song choice, as he loathes “I’ll Be” with a passion)

• Trent says:

Agree that Lina should have been stolen — she was great! — but Michael still ranked Preston WAY too low, IMO.

• will says:

No, we don’t agree. I don’t think Lina should’ve been stolen – I think she should have won and Preston should have been eliminated without a steal.

• Francine says:

I can understand an argument about Preston not winning the round, but he can SING. There is no way he should have been eliminated altogether.

• will says:

There are only three people who I actively would prefer not be in the top 20 and they are Preston, Jonny, and Nic, and I’d trade them out with Lina, Juhi, and Donna if I could. That said, I do agree that he can sing, just not well enough or enough to my taste to actually make me care about where he lands in the competition.

• Francine says:

Hey, fair enough :) I’m glad you responded and so thoughtfully. We all have our personal opinions but I like when we can all admit when someone has a good voice, even when its not to the personal tastes we prefer. I feel that way about Juhi and Donna. They can both certainly sing but neither did it for me. I do however agree with you on Jonny and Nic and would have really liked to see Lina advance one way or another.

• Jasmine says:

I agree with you about Lina. She was my favorite. I’m deeply saddened that she’s gone. She had it all. She had an exceptionally distinct and flavorful voice, she’s incredibly gorgeous, and she seems so sweet. Uhhh! This sucks. I can’t stand Adam for his decisions. He put both of his steals up against strong contenders (according to the majority of people) and they both lost, Lina and Juhi. He might as well just shouldn’t have saved them if he wasn’t going to give them a fair chance. I really don’t think the decision to choose Preston over Lina was made harder by Lina’s performance. I think Adam was going to choose Preston no matter how he sang and no matter how well Lina sang. The decision was already made.
          I hope Lina comes back. She really deserves to. She was truly great. I’m not as excited about this season now. Lina excited me. And despite what a lot of people have said, her battle round performance with Destinee (a shame she’s gone too) is like my favorite battle round performance ever!
          Love you Lina!

• Preston was properly rated for this performance, I really liked him in the first two rounds, but No Woman, No Cry was subpar. I came away from the Knockout thinking Lina, who I did not like up to this point, was better.

• Timmah says:

I don’t know, I find him rather bland.

• MamaLis says:

Oh, WAY, WAY too low. Michael (darling) has dissed Preston from Day One. DAY ONE!
      Mark my words, Preston is a Top 3 – for sure! I mean, imo, he’s a challenger for the Title.

11. Marta says:

CeeLo ended up with a decent team…. But I think it’s Team Adam or Team Christina’s to lose… Which has me really pumped. Sorry Team Blake— I don’t think any of your artists have the goods this year!

• Angie_Overrated says:

Don’t discount Shelby. Not my genre, but girl can sang and she’s in the right pocket of the voting demographic.

• DarkDefender says:

Totally forgot about her.. I like her spunk.. She will be big in Nashville… Just not on the voice..

• Ted says:

Shelbie’s “schtick” is gonna get real old, real fast. She will appeal to redneck viewers because of her attitude, but not to many others.

• Angie_Overrated says:

She appeals to me, and I’m about the polar opposite of a redneck. I don’t even like country music, but I will vote for her. She’s got pipes, that Shelby.

• Ted says:

And MOST of the others have “pipes” too. Shelbie may be the best on Blake’s team, but that’s not saying a whole hell of a lot. She is already getting tiresome; the proverbial one-trick pony.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I don’t agree with your assertion that most have pipes. A lot of them do not. Even some of the ones I really like (i.e., Caroline) don’t really either.
            If a one-trick pony is a girl who can sing her ass off with oodles of energy and technical precision within the confines of a singing competition, that’s a one-trick pony I’ll happily bet on.

• Ed says:

I agree that Blake’s team is the weakest. Adam and Christina each have 3 artists who could potentially win it all. But it is CeeLo that ended up with a killer team; ANY of his 5 could go all the way.

12. Cassandra says:

Matthew Schuler absolutely killed it tonight. He has officially moved up to my pick for winner this season after that performance and my favorite Battle as well. I think it’s funny that 2 of the judges used there steal for someone they already cut, but I think the elimination of all but one of the BR steals proves the conspiracy theories that judges were using them for easy picking off during the KO rounds. I had been really like James W.’s blind audition, but his other 2 performance were not that great. With his victory of Juhi, I wonder if there was anything she could have done to win. My favorites for the year remain Matt, Caroline, Shelby Z, and Tessanne.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I think Juhi had a chance. She didn’t take instruction well. And less stylization (not a word, but it’s late) is what that song called for. It was also the WRONG song choice. I think her inexperience showed in not knowing what song suits her voice and not really knowing when to stylize something and when to just “sing” the notes. It’s a delicate balance that needs to be done skillfully. I think she should keep singing though… she’s got raw talent. She just needs training and experience.

• Cassandra says:

I really wasn’t that thrilled with Juhi’s performance tonight either, but there is no way that James won that battle. I think it was a bad song choice on her part, but if she really wanted to sing it, she would have been better off not trying to do the CCR version of it. I’m not really mad about it because I don’t think Juhi would have made it too far in the live rounds, I was more or less pointing out that the “stolen” contestants from the BR seemed more like sacrificial lambs. The only contestant stolen during the battles that isn’t back on his original team is Nic, and I think Blake was prepared to cut him for Holly Henry, but her nerves got the best of her again so he chose the more confident person.

• Tyler says:

I think even if Juhi had turned in the best performance of the night, Adam still would’ve picked James W. It just seemed like Adam already knew who he wanted in the live rounds. Because personally I think both James W. and Preston turned in the weaker performances.

• MSNC says:

last season they showed that the pairing happened at the night of the show cause the contestants had their show cloths on. This year they skipped this part- when they are paired the judge already knows who sings what and how well ie who’s the winner

• Cole and the one girl Ceelo stole aren’t on their original teams either.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Cassandra, I think you’re right. I can’t really think of a “stolen” artist that didn’t seem like a sacrifice. I guess on the up side they get another week of invaluable exposure that they couldn’t afford in “real” life. And yes, Nick got really really lucky that Holly was not on her game.

• HTGR says:

I have to disagree. I thought she did even better this time and has been taking in the criticism. And how can you say James W knew what song to pick when a whole bunch of it ate him up?

• AlyB says:

I agree. I didn’t think James delivered tonight at all. Even Adam said that he was making his decision based on potential, that he had sung the song really well in rehearsal but didn’t do well live but he felt ” invested” in him. Juhi should have won that if it was based on tonight’s performance. I find it ironic that Holly got the boot because she didn’t do that well live even though she has mad potential. Adam said he didn’t steal her because he couldn’t go on potential. I guess that went out the window tonight. He does seem to really like James though I think even Will beat him in the battle last week. He does hit some amazing notes but I don’t think he’s done a song yet that I loved from start to finish. I guess we’ll see if Adam is right to believe in him like that starting next week. He could very well deliver but I’m nowhere near as sure about it as Adam seems to be.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I love disagreeing with you. :) It’s gonna be a fun season.

• Jaila says:

re Juhi, “I wonder if there was anyting she could have done to win.” Stop squeaking at the end of every line.

13. Sarah says:

I left the blinds thinking I’d be rooting for Tessanne all the way, and I still love her. I didn’t enjoy Matthew’s audition all that much, but I really enjoyed his battle performance and I was thoroughly impressed tonight too. I think he’s a great vocalist and a great performer who could actually have a chance at doing well post-Voice. In general, even with all the frustrating eliminations – there’s a pretty strong top 20. I’m excited!

14. will says:

I’m not a fan of Nic, Jonny, or Preston, and would’ve taken Lina over him in this knockout, along with Juhi and Donna in the other places, but all in all, I’d say this is the best crop of finalists this show has ever seen! On the whole, I enjoy every single one of all of the other vocalists, and those three also have their merits, so I’m happy with it. It’s just a really cool, diversely talented group, and now we get to see them all battle it out!

Tessanne vs. Matthew vs. Caroline vs. Kat vs. Josh vs. Jacquie vs. Amber vs. Grey vs. Tamera vs. Will vs. James vs. Shelbie vs. Cole vs. Ray vs. Stephanie vs. Austin vs. Olivia

That’s an amazing list of contestants! This isn’t my hierarchy either, because I don’t even have one! Just a vague idea of which people I like a little less than others. Will I be sad when people I like don’t last as long as others? Sure, but from where I sit now, its not going to be a very bumpy ride unless Nic somehow breaks top 15 and the other two both make the finale.

15. Adam was a real jerk to Will. Now, he’s come up to “peer” level? Awesome. I feel so bad for that guy having to go back to Team Adam, especially after the A1 eff up, James performed. Wow. Adam has now kept James twice over better, more authentic performers. And what was up with popping his collar in rehearsals? Ouch. He wants to be cool and he wants to be rock so he sings…Boston? What the what? And he couldn’t even sing the song. It’s not current, it’s not young, it’s not hipster…it was just a song way too big for his voice. At least Tessanne and Preston don’t need Adam, because them taking the exposure and running with it really is his only chance of winning.

• Jay says:

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. He is not the strongest singer-what makes him standout is song choice but his effort tonight was brutal karaoke. Adam needs to really be strong with his team-turning preston into a ‘nu’ soul singer,for example, will just result in him being out by the top 6 or 7. He needs to pick interesting rock songs like his audition , which killed on iTunes. And he would have a chance to win.

• MamaLis says:

Oh, you are funny. I love it.
      Plus can you imagine a guy like Will loosing/now on the same team again, with a James? I mean, I’m sure he’s nice guy, etc. Nothin’ personal. But you’ve got Wil, who literally has been doing music his whole LIFE and is likely a musical genius; truly understands music. And then you have James…. I believe playing Garage Band on his Mac in his room.

16. Angie_Overrated says:

Pretty good night in general. Even the worst ones (i.e., E.K. Daily, George and Anthony) still sounded like excellent karaoke. No complete trainwrecks like last night. I even liked Juhi after hating all of her other performances.

17. Spencer Leviathson says:

I really like when an artist chooses a song that strays from the generic crud we usually here in these shows
    Choices that stood out
    florence and the machine song choice from matt
    let her go passenger by cole

• Tom22 says:

absolutely agree … a number of others weren’t so over baked and only a couple ballads we’ve heard time and again on these shows (and I think most of them lost)

18. Teeny Bikini says:

I think James has talent. But it’s like my accountant singing to me. I also don’t see him as a “classic rock” singer. I think there is a huge disconnect between his “persona” and the artist he is purporting to be. I just don’t buy it. He is one of the weaker links on Adam’s team.

• Ted says:

I think James peaked during the audition round….. I’ve not liked any of his performances since. His vocals are inconsistent and he is not emotionally connected to anything he sings; it’s all very mechanical.

19. Annie says:

Matthew and Will killed it tonight, in my opinion. Both of them were great and their song choices fit them very well. Cosmic Love is one of my favourite songs and Will brought back life to a Bruno Mars song that became super stale due to radio stations overplaying it.

20. Angie_Overrated says:

Matt Schuler’s high notes = MONEY! Those were so awesome. He was waling up there. It’s nice to hear a male vocalist on this show hitting real high notes instead of all these crappy falsettos. Come to think of it, that heavy set dude (Austin?) had an awesome non-falsetto high note tonight as well. More please!

• Sarah says:

After watching Matthew’s performance again, I’m just liking it even more (I’d venture to say I’m becoming a little obsessed). The whole thing was great, but that very last drawn out note was just insane, in the best way possible.

21. JL says:

The song choices were better in this episode of the knockouts compared to last night. Hopefully the song choices during the lives will be good too.

22. Kristoffer says:

Matthew Schuler killed that song! I know people like what they like and may not agree but that was one of the best vocals anyone has done so far.

23. lucy27lucy says:

All 5 on Team Adam are strong, Tessanne the frontrunner. CeeLo has the next strongest overall, I am hooked on Caroline – incredibly pure and nice to listen to voice. Xtina is doing great this year, with Matt she has a chance. Team Blah, um Blake, is pretty light with the exception of Shelby (though I do like Austin, I don’t know if he can step up with another song that suits him so well and he can execute).

24. HTGR says:

“I could kick off this recap of The Voice‘s final set of Knockout Rounds complaining about Carson Daly’s “coming up on…” teases — and how they snuff out suspense like a fire hose pointed at a toddler’s birthday candles.”
    +1 NBC has to get over their horrible obsession with previewing (i.e. spoiling the upcoming minutes) and wasting time reviewing the previous minutes around each commercial break. STOP.

And the other negatives:
      Some sad losses too though starting right off the top of the show. Leena finally 100% sold me tonight and then she is gone.
      Blake is just driving me freaking nuts at this point. I really only cared about three on his team to begin with and he dumps out 2 of the 3 before it even goes live! And once again has the seemingly weakest, blandest overall team left. Ray is decent though and on Team Blake he surely go very far, heck as we saw last season the whole lot might end up making up the entire finale. oh well. I would’ve taken EG or Holly any day over either in the Austin/Brandon pairing.
      I didn’t agree with James Wolpert over Juhi. I get you can overlook a lesser performance, I said for Holly and I said so for Rachel Potter (remember how everyone was like OMG the winner and then everyone was so fickle and they all turned on her here the last round and I was like no way man, no way should she have been let go then, and if you saw tonight’s xfactor I’d think you’d have to agree and that is the thing with the Holly deal, now maybe her nerves would’ve bested her again and it wouldn’t have worked out in that sense with her lesser experience maybe she was a touch more of a risk, but many you gotta go for potential like that) so I totally get where Adam was coming from…. only the thing is I actually thought J.W. lost his last round against Will and I wasn’t crazy about him the round before or his audition either. The only thing I can say is I wasn’t in the rehearsal and perhaps he showed truly mad potential during it. Or maybe it’s just one of Adam’s bro-bonding things again. Who knows. Juhi has seemed to get better each week and I thought that this was definitely her best yet.

• HTGR says:

And Anthony really fell miles and miles, song choice maybe totally killed him, a shame.
        I love the song J.W. picked, but he broke and missed and strained a lot of it tonight. It’s so difficult I’d give him a pass except I was never sold on any of his prior rounds and IMO he has now won two rounds that he lost.

25. DarkDefender says:

Sweet Caroline is Devine! No one else stood out for me, except for the guy the producers are pimping, the one CeeLo called the Mike Tyson of the Voice.. Which if it is true, they need to hold on to their ears and get a jail cell ready…

Caroline’s performance is the only one I will remember in the morning. I hope she goes far.

• DarkDefender says:

I also enjoyed Stephanie, but I don’t think there is enough time to get the “cruise ship” mentality out of her.. I see her going out early, although they clearly like her.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I said the same exact thing about Michelle Chamuel last year, where I loved her but thought she was dead in the water. Maybe Stephanie can be a sleeper hit? I’m guessing like you that that won’t happen, but one can hope, no?

• DarkDefender says:

Last thing… I think Christina has the strongest team.

26. Timmah says:

I give Stephanie some points for being original, but yeah, Caroline stole the night.

27. HTGR says:

But enough negative, moving on:
    Man there was some awesome stuff that went down tonight!! And man I seriously don’t have a remote clue for front runners or finalists so wide open three teams with so many potential contenders up and down the line on them.
    Preston vs. Lina was awesome (why is he always at Michael’s bottom rung or second bottom rung?).
    Matthew (who finally sold me tonight) vs. Will was totally sick.
    Sweet Caroline was something.
    Tamara really brought and finally has me sold now too. Stephanie was pretty cool and I was long ago sold on her, although I think she did maybe just try a couple too many tricks and extras tonight but I’m sure she’ll get that set again.
    Crazy with the double re-steals hah (both worthy steals for once too).
    Jacquie was awesome tonight I really liked her before but I love her now. Awesome.
    EG has a couple breaks, one bad one near the end, although she seemed a little bit still trying to adjust to the way Blake was trying to alter her, but I liked a lot of it and it was a shame to see her go wish she’d been kept on his team.
    Juhi had her best performance of the season and won the round.

• Tom22 says:

“Sweet” Caroline has got to be my favorite contestant at this point. (not saying the best.. just the one that charms me personally …. I respect that others will like others more or will consider others more talented singers in ways they find most valuable)

28. Timmah says:

I happened to flip over to the X Factor a few times during the commercial breaks tonight, and the “talent” over there is laughable compared to The Voice this season. I don’t think it’s even worthy of a review.

• HTGR says:

mostly very true, mostly wouldn’t stand a chance over here even against some of the weaker eliminations here, but three of the over 25s were pretty darn good. (and in a modern pop, mtv way one girl group was great and one girl soloist was pretty decent) [I wish we could edit or delete messages because I really need to delete my long xfactor ramble above considering that I basically said what was needed here in one sentence hah)

29. richardgrantmuir says:

Ok, I honestly don’t understand the fascination with Matthew Schuler… his audition as good, but he’s gone downhill since then. Tonight he sounded like a banshee! Seriously, WTH are the judges doing?? They did the same thing gushing about boring ‘ol Danielle-with-the-dead-eyes Bradberry”.

I am grateful Will at least got save, and Stephanie, as well–she killed her song. Tamara was good, but SO predictable. Stephanie picked a song that was nowhere near like what she’s done before and sounded amazing doing it.

Caroline seems like the sweetest girl on the show, but I HATE that ethereal “I’m so wispy I could faint any moment” voice. Holly got axed fortunately, I can only hope Caroline goes soon too. Melanie Martinez was a hideous mistake that should not be repeated. I know there’s a market for those voices, but holy heck, they do NOT deserve to be “the Voice”.

• Kaba says:

Make notice how you are literally in the smallest minority of comments here. Gnight ;)

• john says:

I agree. I don’t hear anything in Matthew. I wasn’t impressed with his audition or battle either. He is really hard to understand and if I can’t understand what you are singing that ruins it for me. I really don’t get the hype!

• Caitlyn says:

You could honestly watch Danielle’s version of “A Little Bit Stronger” and think she was boring?

• Angie_Overrated says:

Can’t agree with you here. What he was doing vocally takes serious talent. The judges were heaping praise upon him because all 4 judges knew that what he was doing technically was above any of their own ability levels. That was insane!

But you like Stephanie, so I’m going to cut you some slack. :)

• HTGR says:

[more demons released] Agreed. I haven’t been crazy about him before, not that I’ve thought him bad by any means, since his tone isn’t super interesting and maybe his style doesn’t quite pull me in as much as some and yeah this was a lot of go, go, go dynamics again, BUT holy cow what he did was so crazy hard to pull off, I didn’t care it was all go, go, go it was just a truly stunning vocal powerhouse performance. Just nuts. And just a dry nuts but one that did pull you in too this time.

30. Alex says:

Matthew has to be the favorite, right?

31. Adam says:

Good to be back commenting here. I like this season a lot more than season 4. Faves are:Matthew Schuler, Stephanie, Caroline, Preston, Tessanne, and Jacquie, Matthew, Steph, and Preston, kudos to them for representing the different kinds of soul singers–I was gonna say ‘black’, but I’m afraid it’d come off wrong, besides I don’t think Preston is black?–make no mistake, I love me some powerhouse r&b/classic soul singers, in fact some of them are guaranteed to become my faves. But I’m afraid they’ve become so ubiquitous, they’re marginalized. This season’s Caroline triumphs over last season’s Caroline. I can’t stand last seson Caroline’s affectionate delivery. This Caroline has an effortlessness to her. I’m just afraid the extravagant quality of The Voice’s band and set would eat her up like they did Melanie on season 3. Tessanne is exactly the remarkable powerhouse these kinds of shows and I always need. Jacquie’s blues sensibility is authentic, and comes out natural, not too studied at all, and I hope she’ll bring more classics to the table come next episodes. Simply put, this episode’s knockout winners and steals are much better than last episode’s. And also, if Blake wins again this year, then he would be the equivalent to AI’s WGWG winners to me.

• Tom22 says:

I missed 1/2 of last season too because of their clumsy handling of the voting rounds effectively ignoring the vastly different demographics of those most comfortable using smart phones or the internet who would find it almost laughable to get on a phone and dial when they could text.

I’ll be out of here in a flash if they do that again..even though I love the talent.

32. analythinker says:

Continuing my “why Blake keeps winning” theory, I’m wondering if Xtina stealing back Stephanie and Adam stealing back Will is part of a strategy to get fans of BOTH to vote for both team members, in order to double the number of votes for Team Blake.

To my surprise (or not), even only after minutes (on air) of being on Team Blake, Cole already topped the chart. But this fact only further supports my theory. If TPTB wants other team to win this season, then they would need joint forces, because there may not be enough Americans following Adam/Xtina on Twitter to vote (when asked). Or not enough American followers care to vote. Because to support my theory, I looked up Adam’s mention a few times when he tweeted about his team member, and 9 out of 10 asked for a follow and/or asked him to notice them.

33. CM. says:

Don’t agree with Caroline over Matthew/Will. I was impressed with her during the battle rounds, but not quite as much this week. She is one of the better soft/sweet voiced ladies they’ve had on the show, but I just don’t think it’s enough.

Am I missing something with Juhi? She over stylizes and it just does not sound good! Her voice becomes shrill and not very pleasing to the ear.

• MC says:

I thought Juhi toned it down just enough to be effective last night. I do agree that she was overly stylized in the previous rounds. Caroline seems very methodical to me. She sounds the same on each number. I love the comment above. “I’m so wispy I could faint any moment.” It’s a very subjective matter, though. I actually like most of the wispy types, but Caroline doesn’t do anything for me.

• Kaba says:

Juhi could have sang a song that brought in millions of bucks on itunes for her and Adam still would have gone with James.
        No other coach cares about chair count as much as he does. Absolutely obsessed with it.

• dj says:

I agree about Juhl. I didn’t like her performance at all.

34. Paula says:

Cee lo and Christina have the best teams, it really seems that taken a season off is really good for the coaches and their teams.
    I’m a fan of Caroline and Matthew, and I think that Christina was a better coach for Will than Adam.

• Dani says:

“Christina was a better coach for Will than Adam”
      Most definitely! Adam went for the obvious rock route with him but Christina gave him more dimension on how to deliver a song effectively regardless of his music style. I wish Will was in Josh’s place because he could benefit more in Christina’s team.

35. Kaba says:

Danielle Bradberry needs to watch Jacquie’s knockouts.
    That’s how you perform the hell out of a song.
    And it doesn’t hurt to slap some stank on it too.
    Jacquie had me in stank face mode for the rest of the night.

• MC says:

I’m positive that Jacquie (who impressed me for the first time on Tuesday) could not deliver Heads Carolina, Tails California or A Little Bit Stronger or Maybe It Was Memphis, etc. with the same confidence, warmth and clarity that Danielle did. Why do people want to compare sixteen year old singers who are in completely different genres? It makes no sense. Also, Jacquie has been excellent once imo and Danielle was pitch perfect many times. I don’t think Danielle has anything to prove, even in a pointless comparison like this.

• Kaba says:

Don’t give her anymore praise than she deserves. Girl has the stage presence of a deer in headlights.
        Jacquie has better stage presence and showmanship. And since we’re gonna say Jacquie can’t survive in Danielle’s genre I’ll with ease say Danielle couldn’t handle the genre Jacquie seems to be going for any better.

• MC says:

Of course. Danielle would be lost singing the blues or any indie-alternative song. Danielle probably wants to be a singer in the tradition of Pam Tillis or Faith Hill. Jacquie may indeed be great singing the blues and alternative music. Jacquie’s abilities, however, do not intersect or affect Danielle’s career goals, which are completely different.

36. Bohr says:

Hey don’t be knocking down my James. I love him. He’s awesome and sexy. :) :p

37. Lisa says:

Caroline for the win! I have been listening to her As Long as You Love Me from the Battle Rounds on repeat mode (and I was not a fan of the JBs version). I just downloaded everything she had on iTunes. Blake hit the nail on the head….her voice is so cozy. With all the techno beats that dominate radio today, her ethereal voice is a welcome respite.

• Tom22 says:

She charms me too and I find her phrasing really intriguing. Nice to know that she can ALSO hit notes with her chest voice when she thinks that’s the arrow in her quiver that a song demands . I also feel like she’s got her own quirky viewpoints on the world that can uplift and.. that separates a great singer from a great artist … a very good singer with “something to share” is far more valuable to me than a “great voice” with a very normal personality.

• MC says:

But judging who has “something to share” is extremely subjective. Ultimately, this is your opinion of Caroline based on three songs and maybe some stuff on YouTube. She might win this thing, but that doesn’t make her any more of an artist than the folks who didn’t win (but were matched with the wrong song or the wrong coach or just had a bad day).

38. Chablis says:

Time for Adam and Blake to take a season off.

39. darcy the slutty twin says:

I’m just happy that Juhi is gone. She ANNOYED me with her squeaky voice and (to me) arrogance and sense of entitlement. Did I say I’m so happy she’s gone? Sad to see James Irwin go. He had pretty eyes and nice biceps.

40. Terry says:

Juhi was robbed.

41. woodyinho says:

Cole Vosbury is already charting on itunes and he’s now on team Blake. Possible winner?

• Canadian Fan says:

Cole Vosbury has climbed to # 19 today on itune chart. Wow, Blake surely knows how to pick a winner. Don’t underestimate Team Blake. Last season, everyone said Blake had the weakest team going into live round, look what happened.

• But this was his first song to do so, Caroline and Preston have had all three songs make the iTunes Overall charts. I would like to see Cole do it again before I declare him a potential winner. If Caroline and Preston are the front runners, I would currently have Cole in the second tier of potential winners.

42. Tom22 says:

What a nice discussion thread by the way. People all tried to share their thoughts and opinions with their own insights. While some (me? but a day late) commented a bunch most that did egaged in the thoughts of others politely. While its satisfying for people to “vent” it makes for a poor thread of discussion… and sets a sort of toxic mood. Great to see it so generally positive “today” (I’ve got no connection with tvline btw..just like to give compliments when they’re due.. I’ll certainly share criticism when I think it’s due)

• CEM says:

I, too, am enjoying the hate-free vibe in the board tonight. There’s so much negativity in the world lately that is a respite to get away from it for awhile.

I tend to enjoy your posts, too, Tom22. Just thought I’d let you know…

43. HTGR says:

“7) Team Adam: Preston Pohl (“No Woman No Cry”) defeats Lina Gaudenzi (“I’d Rather Go Blind”) | Preston was the clear winner in this mismatched heat, but a few of his riffs on the melody fell apart like glass figurines getting hit with baseballs. How come nobody called him out?”
    Mismatched heat? This was one of the most even matches of the night as well as one of the best. (although Preston wasn’t quite as good this time as the other times)

44. Sea says:

I am a huge fan of Preston’s but thought that his performance on “No woman, no cry” was good but lacking. But he still deserved to win the battle. Wow so he had a few issues, let it go. Funny how someone like Holly Henry can blow the Kockouts and the Battle, yet people still think she should have been kept because of her awesome blind audition. Yet when Preston makes a mistake, some folks think Lina should have won. No way! Preston’s version of ‘Electric Feel’ was spectacular but he needs to do something as uniquely different as that to keep him in a top spot. Hopefully Adam will choose the correct songs and styling for Preston. Like Christina said, we’ve come to expect great things from you Preston.

45. Marcinho11 says:

I wish Christina paired Will with Josh and kept Will.

46. JW says:

Does anyone know if they are actually singing the chopped up versions of the songs we hear when the show airs or if they sing the whole song and we are seeing the edited version?

• For the Knockout Round and Blind Auditions I believe they are given 90 seconds (the coaches reference this time limit occasionally) and I do not recall any performance being shorter than that which it would suggest they are not being edited. I do think they edit some Battle Round performances. I remember one former contestant saying they edited out the bridge of their battle and this season I remember Preston vs. Barry being noticeably short.

47. Kaba says:

I laugh at the fact that sooo many people think that the artists actually choose their songs for the knockouts.
    Straight from Holly Henry on her youtube channel:

“That would have been ammazzzinngggg. I didn’t exactly choose Creep…they gave us a list to choose from and then they chose from a few that we picked out..if I could of chosen anything I would have DEFINITELY done Lana aha =]”

So it isn’t like it was exactly her fault. And this now leaves us back at the idea that we haven’t fully seen much personality from anyone except for Nic. The only other person I’d say we’ve seen some degree of personality…or at least style from is Jacquie for at least allowing “stompa” to be in her pool of options.

• HTGR says:

Interesting. I wonder how they come up with the list. That kinds stinks. Supposedly she does some awesome Lana covers. It also brings into a question the extreme degree they harp on about how the contestants now have 100% full choice and we place everything on it thing…. I guess one shouldn’t be, even The Voice, is still ‘reality’ TV after all.

They did sort of step in it this time, eliminating the second best selling contestant before going live. I wonder if they move this final round to much later taping next season?

48. My favorite by far was Will’s cover of Bruo Mars, Great with lots of emotion