The Originals Recaplet: History Lesson

The Originals Season 1 RecapThe CW’s The Originals unleashed a litany of mythology this Tuesday, including answers about witchy Davina’s mighty abilities, Sophie’s mission and the power struggle in New Orleans.

Although the hour was exposition-heavy, the various conversations and flashbacks were expertly threaded together, filling in the blanks (so that’s how Marcel came to be Davina’s protector) and taking some unexpected turns (let’s just say those Deveraux sisters are crafty).

Here are five things we learned during the intel-packed episode:

RELATED | The CW Orders Additional Scripts for The Originals, Tomorrow People and Reign

THE SOURCE OF DAVINA’S POWER | In order to renew their powers, the elder witches need to complete a ritual known as The Harvest, which involves sacrificing their daughters. However, they neglect to fill in the young girls on all the details, like the horrific nature in which they’d kill them, so when they started to slash their throats, Davina fought back. As each girl before her fell, their powers were passed on to the next one, and so on. Thus, the young witch, being the last “lamb” and the only one to escape, ended up with all the power.

MARCEL AND SOPHIE WERE HOOKING UP | Not too long ago, Sophie wasn’t a practicing witch. In fact, she was more of a free-spirited traveler/wild child, who was sleeping with the vampire. But it wasn’t just a physical thing. Before she was a believer, she confided in him about her doubts regarding The Harvest, leading Marcel to rescue Davina.

RELATED | Performers of the Week: The Originals‘ Joseph Morgan and Leah Pipes

THE REAL REASON THE WITCHES BROUGHT KLAUS TO NEW ORLEANS | One of the girls to be sacrificed was Jane-Anne’s daughter aka Sophie’s niece. In order to resurrect her, the ritual needs to be completed, which means Davina needs to die. Once Sophie realized the practice actually works and that her interference led to the death of her niece, she vowed to do whatever it takes to bring the girl back. Thus, the witches lured Klaus to New Orleans not because of their war with Marcel, but to get to Davina.

CAMI’S BROTHER WAS SUFFERING FROM A HEX | When Father Kieran warned the coven against The Harvest, they put a hex on his nephew Sean. Eventually, it drove him to commit mass murder. Meanwhile in the present, Marcel learns that the object of his affection, Cami, is Kieran’s niece, when the Father tells the vamp to stay away from Sean’s twin.

ELIJAH MAY HAVE FEELINGS FOR HAYLEY | There’s no denying that there seemed to be something more than just concern for the mother of his brother’s child when a finally freed Elijah reunited with Hayley. Even though she slapped him, their happy, hopeful looks spoke volumes.

The Originals fans, what did you think of the revealing episode? Did you see the twists coming?

1. ollie says:

Marcel not klaus came to davina’s rescue.

2. ollie says:

*protector* I meant. So great to have elijah back and finally this show is getting better with each episode. I nominate klaus quote about liking his unborn baby more and more . Did anyone else get the scense that In the flashbacks cami twin brother look younger than they should be?

3. lynnie says:

It’s how Marcel became Davina’s protector not Klaus

4. Tori says:

This was a mind blowing episode!! I feel for Sophie her rebellious nature cost her a niece and a sister, even thou I know it was the Priest who gave Marcel the location of the ritual. Sophie grew up in a world of magic, she should have at least done research on the ritual to find out if the resurrection part have documented proof or surely she must have a way to contact her ancestors before marking it as myth. I wonder why the New Orleans witches magic is ancestral,which leaves them vulnerable compared to the magic of the Bennett witches and other witches we have seen?

5. Annie says:

That was the best episode yet! Really fantastic writing!

6. Rook says:

Best episode yet! If anyone out there was unsure about watching the Originals or gave up a few episodes in, you should at least consider watching up to this episode. You really get a understanding of what is going on. Excited to see where they go from here.

7. Evan says:

Fantastic…. and I wasn’t sure of the idea to not have the Originals follow TVD but it seems so different and honestly in another league than TVD at this point!

• mk says:

Totally agree! TVD seems to be dragging, especially in comparison to the great story lines and writing of The Originals.

8. Mark says:

I’m really enjoying this show, and this episode was the best one yet.

9. jamila says:

OmG. A true masterpiece, now I can rest assured this show is going to be a hit.I think Claus ,once he knows the wonders davina blood did to elija , he will start his his hyber breed. That will cause conflict between brothers about ravens fate.

10. Haylijah fan says:

Died about a thousand deaths this episode. Loved every moment with Elijah. The show has just become a bajillion times better with him undaggered and posing around with a violin and/or fixing the thing. I was hoping he would have time to play a tune. But alas. Perhaps in some future ep we will be gifted with that perfection. Srsly. Elijah is easily my favourite character on the show. And his growing relationship with Hayley is also fast becoming one of my best ships. OTP territory. Their chemistry was insane tonight. And those little looks and smiles. gah. Apologies for this post. Its a shameless confession from a fangirl. Loving this show. Long may it live!

11. Maki says:

The show is getting really good. But honestly I got a bit lost with this ep. The flashbacks and dialouges were incoherent and with to many new characters introduced it was pretty messy.
    The witch history was interesting and getting behind Sophie’s motives was a nice touch. With Monica being a pretty bland I doubt they resurect her at least as this actress.
    Elijah and Haley chemistry is over the top and Elijah’s final speech to Klaus and Becca was just right. Can’t wait for next week.

12. Scribe says:

Am enjoying the hell out of The Originals. Sadly, cannot say the same for TVD. Lost me with this doppelganger storyline. The sooner Caroline moves over to TVD the better. That’s the only mildly interesting character on the show left.

13. Sara says:

Why do they have Elijah going after Klaus’s sloppy seconds again? Sheesh

14. B says:

Best episode yet. Hoping for a full season.

15. jeremy.hudson says:

This episode is crazyyyyyyyy!!!! Best episodes yet and better than most of TVD’s lately.
    By the way, I’m curious about the first scene when Davina gave Elijah a drop of her blood. I wonder if there is or will be any story behind it.

16. seah says:

This show has the worst actors, davina, pregnant wolf girl and rebekah are the worst, I really don’t understand how these actors where chosen, my guess is drop some names in a hat and go for it!

• Paul says:

I’m sorry but you’re SO wrong. Claire Holt (Rebekah) was the best actress on tvd and she’s currently the best actress on this show. She wasn’t given much this episode.

17. Dennis says:

I like this show so much more than TVD it seems more mature and engaging

18. tomas says:

The idea of the characters hayley and elijah hooking up makes me think of hives appearing all over my body, especially since the actress playing hayley is terrible. She probably had the look they (casting directors) wanted, unfortunately they could care less about the acting.

19. Miles R. says:

Incredible episode last night! I am really loving this show so far. Even more pleased that I have something to look forward to on Tuesday nights.

20. That was the best episode tonight ,I think at this point its safe to say that TO is better than TVD ,every character has its own story ,and yet everyone is related somehow ,this isnt just about love triangles this is a war a messed up one ,where no one is safe ,I always thought the original family was the best part about Tvd.

21. Naazneen says:

I think Haylijah broke tumblr last night.

22. Reese says:

Last night made me actually like Marcel a little bit. It’s nice to know that he has a code. Plus, he and Becca need to stop with the games already, especially since Cami is clearly too complicated for him — not that Becca;s not, but they are more on the same level.

23. laffers18 says:

Not gonna lie….I’m loving the idea of Elijah/Hayley. I pretty much hated Hayley in TVD, but in The Originals she’s grown on me. And the potential with her and Elijah intrigues me.

I love it when Marcel and Klaus spend some quality time together too…even though every time involves one of them or both of them are lying to the other :) It keeps things interesting!

24. Jules says:

LOVED the episode!!
    I actually really like Davina and want her to stay alive and I love how Marcel protected her and still is protecting her.
    I NEED Marcel/Rebekah to happen! I love them a lot already. They have such insane chemistry and I love their backstory.

Don’t like Sophie at all. She really bothers me and I was annoyed that she has a past with Marcel.

I am also very interested to see where Elijah/Hayley storyline goes!!
    I think TO is becoming one of my favorite shows!

25. Kristina says:

Really, really liking this show.

26. jed17 says:

Does anyone else think the priest Kieran is the werewolf that killed the witches in the forest? I sure do.

27. Suz says:

I do not watch TVD. I just watched all 5 of TO on Hulu+ but a few questions/notes?
    -all the dark haired women look alike, cannot act and accents are all over the place
    -the guys are hot and have on too much clothes (Marcel needs less teeth)
    -story is engaging but too many overlaps and keeping track a bit complicated between aunts/cousins and bed partners
    -I keep looking for the women of AHS:Coven
    -how are the humans so blind to what’s going on?
    …I’ll keep watching but Arrow is my only CW show.

• Elle says:

Umm….if a CW show is too complex for you, you might want to check out ABC Family. The sisters look similar, except Sophie has a gap. Accents abound. I must disagree with you on all else.

28. Trish says:

The best part of the series for me has been any scenes with Hayley and Elijah or even when one is being mentioned to the other. The actors have great chemistry and I love what they are doing with it.

With everyone else Elijah is in supreme project manager mode. He addresses each problem as it arises and is very calm and above all rational.

Hayley though…. from the moment in the pilot when he tells her about how cruel his father was and she succinctly replies “you’re dad was a d*ck” he had this surprised smile on his face and I knew that she would have the power to get to him.

And Elijah for Hayley…..she grew up without her real family and her adoptive family kicked her out so I can see the appeal that Elijah represents with just how rock steady and solid he is and his belief in family.

He promised to be there for her and she believed him. I think that belief was reinforced when Rebekah mentioned she had been in touch with Elijah and the look on Hayley’s face was very telling when she learned that Elijah asked that she be protected.

And the slap when they were reunited? That was hot!

I can’t wait to see what happens next. From the previews it looks like the witches are going to try and hurt Hayley and the baby. It will be interesting to see how calm and rational Elijah will be when that happens!