Halloween Horror: The 15 Scariest TV Characters From the Past 12 Months!

Cue the scary music. Hang the cobwebs from the ceiling. Because Halloween isn’t just a time for enacting a “one for trick-or-treaters, one for me” candy-distribution policy; it’s also a time to get your scary on.

And that’s exactly why TVLine decided to take a trip down Unsettling Memories Lane and pay homage to the 15 Scariest TV Characters From the Past 12 Months.

PHOTOS | Glee Meets Anarchy, Breaking Sexy, Grey’s of Thrones and More TV Stars’ Halloween Looks

Who made the cut? Well, we’ve got a psychotic clone, a maniacal meth kingpin, a badass witch and more!

So click through the gallery below to see the full roster, then hit the comments and tell us which characters gave you the heebie-jeebies in the last year!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Lists, Photo Gallery

1. Steven says:

I love that you included Jackie from The Good Wife! I never found Peter Pan scary. That whole story line is the reason i dropped OUAT.

• Drew says:

Yeah, I haven’t watched the past couple of episodes of OUaT. I haven’t officially dropped it yet, but I’ve had no desire to watch it. I had a chance last night… opted for watching an old episode of Bewitched instead. That doesn’t say much for OUaT.

2. Choco says:

LOL at Jackie Florrick, but she is very scary indeed.

3. Morganic says:

Weeping angels!!!

4. brycealexander says:

Helenaaaaaa

5. Marc Weston says:

Jackie Florrick, good shout!

6. bob says:

Why is Walter White scary?

• dude says:

If you don’t know, you haven’t been watching.

• Malachi says:

Because he isn’t in danger, he IS the danger. Someone gets shot opening their front door, and you think that’s Walt? No, he is the one who knocks.
      To reiterate the post above mine, if you haven’t watched yet, you should give it a go. We really don’t get many shows of this caliber.

• Drew says:

I really tried to like Breaking Bad, but three seasons into the series I have just not been impressed at all. It is a little boring.

And before anyone questions my taste in shows, I usually like shows with dark characters and the more layers to the plot the better for me. But Breaking Bad was like watching paint dry. Only without the benefit of having freshly painted walls afterward.

• Malachi says:

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. But … dude… IMDb rating is 9.5 out of 10, from over 350,000 users. Multiple Emmy awards for acting, directing, best drama, cinematography, and assorted technical awards. A bazillion other awards and nominations.
          The first season started slow, at least I thought so. But by the end of season 1 / beginning of season 2, it grabbed me and didn’t let go. I could understand if the subject matter did not agree with you. My wife couldn’t watch it — “too dark” she said. But by nearly every qualitative measurement out there, this is about as good as television gets.

• Drew says:

I get that people like it. I just don’t get why. It’s not really compelling. The characters don’t really draw me in. Like I said, I like dark. I like twisted. I like complex. But this show just doesn’t pull it off for me. And really, Emmy awards are useless. They’re all about studio politics and how much a show has in their publicity budget. Half of the shows that are submitted are never even watched by the judges. So awards can’t really be taken as a scale of quality.

What I find more interesting is that the audience really seems to love the show. It almost irritates me that I find it so boring. But I guess different people just react differently to some shows. I’m sure there are a ton of shows or movies that I love that other people hate.

• Miss VCI says:

I’m sorry, you don’t have to like breaking bad, but to call the show slow and “like watching paint dry” is idiotic. You are entitled to your opinion but honestly how you defended it honestly made it seem like you are just trying to hate on a popular show.

• Drew says:

And yet the only counter argument you have to make is to call me idiotic. Did I say that anyone who likes the show is stupid? Did I imply that the only way that someone could be impressed by this show’s writing was if they themselves were hardcore meth users? Did I say that I’ve seen children’s shows that were more compelling and the viewers of this show must have an incredibly low IQ?

Nope. Because it would be simple minded and lame to attack people just because they have a different opinion than I do. That would be idiotic.

• Truth says:

I agree Drew, I watched to the end too and everything just seemed so convenient at the end and I just never thought the writing was that good – I mean seriously, a plane just happens to crash right above dudes house? Gimme a break. According to the internet it is the best show ever made and that’s cool, but anytime someone says they didn’t like it they get immediately called a troll. Oh well guess I’m a troll.

7. Jay7 says:

I love Helena so much! I’m really hoping she somehow survived.

8. Astrid says:

Helena was my favourite clone.

9. I literally shivered when I saw the picture of the Weeping Angel.

10. Christian says:

Elizabeth Jennings? I’d say that the neighbour CIA guy is scarier!

11. Daisy says:

Jacky Florrick is anyoing, but not scary. Suprised to see nobody of The Following made the cut.

12. knd says:

Weeping Angels every single time!

13. Pam says:

The Weeping Angels are by far the creepiest but the one that REALLY scares me is Helena. That B***h is CRAZY!!!

14. cjeffery7 says:

oh my god! helena would be SUCH a good halloween costume!

15. Aimee says:

There are a lot of people on here who are mean or evil but I wouldn’t call them scary. The weeping Angels however….those give me nightmares for real!

16. Pluto says:

Helena is my fave clone, so scary, so damn crazy. Olivia Godfrey (Famke Janssen) on Hemlock Grove is scary as hell, she’s usually acting protect someone she loves, which makes her more ghoulish in her revenge. And I’d add Keven Spacey on House of Cards, I pray I never have a boss like him.

17. Jax says:

Helena. No contest!

18. Patricia says:

I am seriously having a hard time choosing between Helena and the Weeping. Both of them are completely terrifying in their own way.

19. Cheeky says:

Ramsay Snow!!!! Man, made me feel for Theon

20. Adam says:

Zachary Quinto as Bloody Face is a huge miss!

21. Tom Charles says:

Why isn’t Rachel Berry on this list?

22. Really, no Joe from The Following?

23. Adam says:

I am sure there is context to this that I am just not aware of since I haven’t watched Once Upon a Time in a year now, but seeing Peter Pan listed as a scary character made me laugh.

24. Amy says:

Ramsay Snow looks like a psychotic hobbit. Is that what Gollum looked like before he morphed into total creepiness?

• Cheeky says:

It’s not about his looks, so much as it is about his actions. Every man in the world cringed about what happened to Theon…

25. Drew says:

Isn’t it sad that nobody from Supernatural made this list? They gad some great episodes, but they haven’t been super creepy for a while. I just realized that.

Remember the clown who followed kids home? Or the dude who stole body parts to sew onto himself? Or the little girl in the painting? The show used to be pretty spooky. I’d like to see more of that.

• Dean's girl says:

I was going to post this also! They haven’t had a good scary monster in so long. All their villians are talky talkies in suits anymore. I hope we get some real monsters this year.

26. AJ says:

How about Bloody Face from AHS: Asylum?

27. Matthew says:

Can we go one article without The Good Wife being shamelessly plugged?! Nobody cares about this show, enough already!!
    Also, what about Lee Touric and Damon Pope from Sons of Anarchy? Both of them blow most of the choices above completely out of the water, based on being a villain (which is what the actual judgement here is, as only 1 of these could actually qualify as “scary” in a literal sense).

• Cassey says:

I’m assuming you are talking about the weeping angels. In which case, I advise you to check out Orphan Black. Helena is truly scary!

28. Katy says:

Seriously no Joe Caroll from The Following?? By far and away the creepiest character I’ve seen on tv in a long, long time!!! Can’t believe he’s missing I kept thinking he’ll be in the next pic……

• Drew says:

I don’t think Joe was all that scary. I just think that the police/FBI were consistently incompetent. As a matter of fact, they should be on the list. I would that government agents being that incompetent was unrealistic until this whole Obamacare debacle. Now I find it scary.

29. Rich Abey says:

Doctor Who’s Weeping Angels FTW!

30. sarah says:

hannibal and helena scare the crap out of me!
    but what about bloody face and sister jude they were horrible.

31. TheTVJunkee says:

YES! My Angry Angel and the Weeping Angels made the cut.

32. Karrah says:

I know Breaking Bad is all about Walt, but I really think Todd/”Meth Damon” was one of the scariest characters the show ever had.

33. Morganic says:

Sister Jude was pretty scary too.

34. Aprilcot says:

Bloody Face, SIster Mary Eunice and Dr. Arden from Asylum are glaring omissions from this list (much scarier than Fiona, at least at this point in the season. However, I’m *very* glad to see Helena made the list. I hope her crazy self somehow manages to survive into S2!

35. Jason says:

My pick would be the Weeping Angels, but they haven’t been on in the past 12 months except in repeats, and that doesn’t count. So I’m going with Helena. That chick is freaky, and you never know when or where she’s going to show up, or what she’s going to do.

36. Helena is the worst type of creepy. The kind that plays on your sympathies getting you to think that there is more to her than just psychotic. Ugh, that damn sound effect they would use every time she was on screen just makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

37. redjane12 says:

Jackie Florrick… that was a hilarious choice… I guess if you are Eli, then yes, she is the scariest of them all…

38. KittyJules says:

Helena and Hannibal. Every time he served dinner at his house I was cringing to beat the band!! And Helena was just crazy crazy crazy good!!!

39. Sheldon W. says:

Initially, the Weeping Angels were incredibly scary, but they haven’t held up nearly as well as the Daleks. Still, creepier than any of the other fourteen…

40. Britta Unfiltered says:

Of the ones listed from the shows I watch, I would have to go with Ramsay Snow and Walter White. And sort of The Governor. I don’t think Limehouse is near as scary as other villains Justified has had. Like Mags Bennett. She broke her own beloved son’s hand with a hammer. Other scary characters for me would be Gyp Rosetti on Boardwalk Empire, and Gillian as well. Joffroy is another good one. Jax from Sons of Anarchy. He absolutely has reached Walter White proportions for me. Idris Elba’s character on The Wire. John Lithgow’s character from Dexter. Deadwood had a lot of scary villains, but none so much as George Hearst, who got everything he wanted from every main character in town by the end of the show and ruined many of their lives in the process.

41. azmataz says:

Jackie is defs the scariest

42. Azerty says:

Ramsay Snow eating a sausage was the scariest thing ine GoT. Ok maybe second after the red wedding but still. I really like the actor (simon from misfits!)

43. 324B21 says:

Helena is like my baby, and I love her to death, but I feel more sorry for her than scared, though she scared me initially. When she let that little boy into the bathroom with her… I’m not the best judge since the only other villain here I have seen in the weeping angels, and they are scary. However, I enjoy watching Helena more than the angels.