Photos: Once Upon a Time's Ariel Makes a Splash

Get More: Photo Gallery

Warning: You’re about to get an earworm, for that song about how things are “so much better” under the sea and all.

This Sunday, ABC’s Once Upon a Time will spin a fishy tale, as JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba) makes her debut as Ariel — and we’ve rounded up some mighty “fin” photos of that little mermaid.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time‘s Colin O’Donoghue Ponders Hook/Neal Face-Off

In the Fairytale Land that was, when Ariel saves bandit Snow from drowning, Snow returns the favor by helping her new friend get acquainted with Prince Eric, played by Gil McKinney. (Based on the promos, expect a familiar-looking Ursula to throw cold water on that happy ending.)

Meanwhile in Neverland, Regina — who famously once had a run-in with “a certain mermaid” — begrudgingly teams up with Rumple to find a way to take down Pan.

Want more scoop on Once, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (33)

• I get that they don’t really want or need to add a new villain, but having Regina as Ursula just feels like a bit of a cheat. Hopefully they’ll find a way to make it work.

Comment by wordsmith – October 29, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I’m not a fan of Regina being Ursula.

Comment by Jerry – October 29, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Completely agree. It doesn’t even look right. I have no clue why they did this.

Comment by betty – October 30, 2013 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was hoping for a new villain, but Lana plays evil so well that I’m not that mad. And with her trying to be good in present day, I will enjoy seeing evil Regina again. And at least they’re giving her the white hair and tentacles (as bad as the CGI is)

Comment by Mikael – October 31, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You didn’t write the full synopsis. ;) It is also.mentioned that Emma Hook and The Charmings go to save Neal. So Hook did the right thing. #CaptainSwan

Ariel looks neat I’m interested where she fits into the whole story.

Comment by Maki – October 29, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I felt that part was too spoilery/I don’t always agree with what is revealed in synopses. But boom, there it is, everybody!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 29, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ohh Matt nothing is too Spoilery for TvLine readers! ;)

Comment by Maki – October 29, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I actually agree with you Matt, I liked feeling like maybe Hook would have kept that info to himself. That’s part of what makes his character work, the whole struggle with the do good vs be bad. Ah well, no harm done.

Comment by the girl – October 29, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Just for the sake of keeping that idea on the table, maybe Hook isn’t the one to spill the beans…you never know.

Comment by Christina – October 29, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good – I was hoping he would. Really it would be stupid for him not to, “right thing to do” or not, because Emma was bound to find out eventually and then he really would have ruined any chance he might have had with her.

Comment by JC – October 29, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I’m not really all that excited. I know Ariel is a favourite but there’s nothing really about this that seems fresh or interesting

Comment by courts – October 29, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shouldn’t you maybe watch it before deciding that?

Comment by Josh – October 29, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OUAT doesn’t have very many surprises, they telegraph everything so unless the storyline isn’t “Snow helps Ariel find her prince” I’m not really excited.

Comment by courts – October 29, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was really hoping they’d incorporate her into Neverland. Now this just seems like a way to have the flashback be relevant.
      IMO, they need to stop with the flashbacks. I like the FTL/pre-curse versions of most of the characters better, which doesn’t speak well for their choices of character development at all. Whatever they’ve turned Snow and Charming into is a serious train wreck. I started watching the show for them, and now it just pains me to watch them on screen.

Comment by Christina – October 29, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I remember shipping Snow and Charming so hard when the show started but I really dislike them now

Comment by courts – October 29, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m annoyed they decided to make Regina into Ursula. Ugh.

Comment by Terrance – October 29, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The casting for Ariel is so perfect!!!! Excited to meet her!

Comment by Lauren – October 29, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She really looks like the movie version of Ariel. Good casting. Not loving this season but maybe Ariel can improve things.

Comment by Choco – October 29, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So pyched for Regina/Lana as Ursula. The cast is too big as it is, I don’t need more additions. And Lana always wanted to do the role so hooray – especially if Rumple could be the beast AND the crocodile, essentially three different fairy tale connections overall.

Can’t wait. Also, Ariel looks very pretty.

Comment by Z – October 29, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummmm, WORST. COSTUME. EVER!

Comment by TL – October 29, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why did they spoil that Regina is Ursala in the promos??

Comment by outandaboutatlanta – October 29, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • exactly :they are spoiling too much stuff, the kiss last week, now Regina/Ursula..!!

Comment by Sara Arnoldi – October 29, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • IMO it’s to drive viewership/drum up buzz/ward off any waning numbers. “Look, kiss!” “Look, we’re giving you Ursula — with tentacles!” From my conversations with the EPs, they seem to be in same boat as, say, Shonda — no hand in editing the promos, unlike, say, NCIS.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 29, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her hair should be more red.

Comment by ashly – October 29, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow- she’s perfect.

Comment by Alice – October 29, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m fine with Regina being Ursula as well. 1) Kitsis and Horowitz can interpret the stories however they want. Disney didn’t make these stories up; they took stories that were already in existence and added their own twist to it. Why can’t Once do the same? It’s their show, they can do whatever they want. I wish people would understand that before they start complaining. 2) Like other people have said, the cast is already huge. We don’t necessarily need more characters. Plus Lana Parilla is killer as an actress and as a villain. Why the heck would I want someone else to play such a great villain?? Lana’s the woman for the job! As far as I’m concerned, the writers can turn Rob Carlyle and Lana into as many different villains as they want. Both of them are so amazing and multi-dimensional.

Comment by rachelle – October 29, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Three words: Where’s the fork?

Comment by Steve F. – October 29, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joanna is adorable. I’ve been waiting for this episode to air…

Comment by Babygate – October 29, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So it’s ok when Rumple is the beast, the crocodile AND the fairy godmother (Cinderella) but it’s not ok for Regina to play Ursula? I don’t get all the negative comments about it.

Comment by 777 – October 29, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People would rather a new actress be cast as Ursula, so that undoubtedly she can be criticized for not being up to snuff/a casting fail/etc; as the Internet giddily does what it does.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 29, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So true! And thanks for the response!

Comment by 777 – October 29, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its not so much that I don’t like Regina as Ursula as I hate the way she looks as Ursula. It looks ridiculous. They should of given her a better costume to wear.

Comment by betty – October 30, 2013 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • a) The CGI is horrific. b) Traditionally Ursula is…a woman of substance, something we rarely see on TV (except as comic relief) so I think some people were looking forward to that. I think it’s great that Lana gets to play the role since she keeps saying she always wanted to.

Comment by Cass – October 31, 2013 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post