Simpsons Actress Marcia Wallace Dead at 70

Get More: In Memoriam, News

Marcia Wallace Dead The SimpsonsMarcia Wallace, the Bob Newhart Show vet who also voiced The Simpsons‘ school marm Mrs. Krabappel, has died. She was 70 years old.

Simpsons executive producer Al Jean confirmed the actress’ death to several media outlets on Saturday. Wallace’s friend Cathryn Michon told our sister site Deadline that Wallace, who had battled breast cancer in the past, died from complications of the disease.

RELATED | Fox Renews The Simpsons for Season 26

“I was tremendously saddened to learn this morning of the passing of the brilliant and gracious Marcia Wallace,” Jean said in a statement. “She was beloved by all at The Simpsons and we intend to retire her irreplaceable character.”

Jean added that Mrs. Krabappel is not the character the series is planning to kill off later this season.

RELATEDThe Simpsons Targets Daily Show‘s John Oliver to Play ‘Wilkes John Booth’

Wallace, who had  won an Emmy for voicing the cynical Springfield teacher  in a 1992 episode of the Fox animated comedy. Early in her career, she was known for playing The Bob Newhart Show‘s receptionist Carol.

Her long career includes appearances on Murphy BrownFull House, 7th Heaven and The Young and the Restless.

Comments (29)

• I wonder what will happen with Mrs. Krabappel. I know they’re retiring the character, but it isn’t as easy as Troy McClure. She’s Bart teacher and we see her a lot more than we did him. Will Bart get a new teacher? If they kill her off it will be the saddest thing the Simpsons has ever done.

Comment by Steven – October 26, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And of course, RIP Marcia. You were also great in That’s My Bush!

Comment by Steven – October 26, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Iirc in a set-in-the-future-episode Flanders said that Edna died, and it was implied that it was Homer’s daily just like with Maude. Or something like that.

Anyway, really sad news.

Comment by Gaara – October 26, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Homer’s fault lol, idk where does that daily come from

Comment by Gaara – October 26, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m beginning to think there’s a sneaky prankster out there who goes by the name Autocorrect Spellcheck, and he or she loves to catch people off guard like this! ;-)

Comment by TV Gord – October 27, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always thought that Edna would always end up with Skinner, am curious how they will retire the character since we’ve seen so much of her. sad to hear of Marcia Wallace’s passing

Comment by jenna – October 26, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was also a big fave on the Match Game with Gene Rayburn in the 70s. RIP

Comment by Stormy – October 26, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ah that’s right! I first thought of her from her hilarious crush on Joey in full house. But I do remember her on the reruns of Match Game I watched as a kid on Game Show Network…those were the days. RIP Marcia.

Comment by schu – October 26, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Jamie Wade.

Comment by jamiemarcuswade – October 26, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP! I loved her on Newhart!

Comment by N – October 26, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No more pain. RIP Carol.

Comment by Mel – October 26, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I met her once in my apartment building. Amazingly gracious lady. & I just watched her in Teen Witch today. You will be very missed. Thank you for bringing so much joy to our lives

Comment by I – October 26, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very talented and very funny. She will be missed.

Comment by leigh – October 26, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simpsons is a drama?!

Comment by Mary – October 26, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess is Krabapple leaves because she met a man.She’s always been flighty.

Comment by Shaun – October 26, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see the Simpsons do a touching tribute to her… then follow it up with a Lady Gaga episode.

Comment by Precious – October 26, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saddens me to hear of Ms. Wallaces’ passing. Loved her as Carol, and on Match Game. The lady was just a joy to watch. Very sad to see such a brief article, considering her body of work. Given the impact she had on me, I can only imagine how beloved she had to have been to her peers. Just to have that smile flashed at you in person, must have made your world a better place!

Comment by lindasays – October 26, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad to hear about her passing. She was great as her in The Simpsons. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family.

Comment by Joey – October 26, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also liked her in Nip/Tuck.

Comment by Tommy Mondschein – October 26, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Marcia was always one of my fave game show guests. From Match Game to Pyramid to Super Password, she was always one of the best and sincerely loved it when a contestant won. She seriously had one of the best smiles and laughs I’ve ever heard. Of course I shall always be partial to Carol from “The Bob Newhart Show”. RIP Marcia, you will definitely be missed.

Comment by TheTVJunkee – October 26, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read in another article that Marcia Wallace was going to retire from the show anyway, and so my question is, had they already filmed all her episodes and will we see the character’s natural retirement or will they have to create something new? Man, this was terrible news to read tonight, I’m so saddened over it. What a funny and talented woman she was.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 26, 2013 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will always remember her as the funny, snarky receptionist named Carol, on the Bob Newhart Show. She always made me laugh. RIP MARCIA.

Comment by Pat – October 27, 2013 04:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know the gang at The Simpsons will handle her departure in just the right way. I was always happy that Marcia got such a lucrative gig when most sitcom stars of the past fade into obscurity (or worse). (I feel the same way for Julie Kavner.)

I feel lucky that I can watch reruns of The Bob Newhart Show everyday, as well as Match Game of GSN….and of course. krazy Edna Krabappel. I hope her family and loved ones will continue to get as much enjoyment from her body of work as I have over the decades!

Comment by TV Gord – October 27, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch The Simpsons but I immediately knew her as Carol from Newhart and yes, Match Game. She will definitely missed. RIP Marcia!

Comment by Tammy – October 27, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Marcia. Her work on The Bob Newhart Show is timeless – Carol the medical office receptionist. For those of us who are younger who may only know her by the fine voice work she did on The Simpsons, check out The Bob Newhart Show; she was amazing as Carol. Watch an episode when you can – the Newhart show (and Marcia) will brighten your day and make you smile.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – October 27, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show runners on the Simpsons announced about a month ago that one of the characters was going to die.

Very sad, but I suspect that it was their knowledge of her heath and that she would not be able to continue long term that the producers decided to eliminate Edna Krabapple.

Comment by J.Norman – October 27, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they should just have Bart move to the next grade and have a new teacher. That way they don’t have to kill her character or have her suddenly disappear. It’s so sad. I loved her as Mrs. Krabappel. I’ll miss her signature “Ha!”

Comment by Mikael – October 27, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the hell is with Flander’s wives always dying?! He really is the devil, seriously XD

Comment by Lindsay Penner – November 13, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post