It's Official: Fox's Dads Gets Full-Season Order

Ratings Dads Premiere on Fox

Fox has officially picked up its much-maligned rookie comedy Dads for a full season.

On Friday, the network ordered nine additional episodes of the sitcom, bringing its first season tally to 22.

RELATEDDads Producers Defend Pilot

The Seth MacFarlane-produced series premiered to 5.6 million total viewers and a decent-enough 2.1 rating last month, but has shed roughly 40 percent of its audience since then (this week it notched  3.6 mil/1.4).

The news follow’s last week’s full-season pickup up Fox’s other freshman sitcom, Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Tags: ,

Comments (47)

• Reblogged this on Some Thoughts on TV.

Comment by tvfreakum – October 25, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there any way to prevent this? Sign a petition? Donate large sums of money? Anything?! I just want Raising Hope back, or even Enlisted to premiere, in a non-Friday time slot. Can Dads at least be moved to Fridays instead or something? :(

Comment by Eric – October 25, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good. More like uptight TVline be damned. Our Over PC world needs to slow it’s roll.

Comment by Eurisko – October 25, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah, empathy is so overrated.

Comment by Betsy – October 25, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • your hate is showing. There’s room for all kinds of shows. If you’re better then the people who like to watch Dads that does not reflect well upon you.

Comment by Eurisko – October 25, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen.

This show has gotten funnier every week.

Comment by Dave Niezabitowski Sr. – January 10, 2014 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 3.6/1.4 warrants a renewal!?! Is this this year’s ‘Whitney’?

Comment by hipper – October 25, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At this point in time, we have no idea if a 3.6/1.4 warrants a renewal for Dads. What we know is that with 3.6/1.4, Fox is thisclose to picking up Dads for a full season, not a second season.

Comment by Andy – October 25, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seth MacFarlane must have some photos of Kevin Reilly doing something very, very, bad.

Comment by Jo – October 25, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!!

Comment by Will – October 25, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seth McFarlane must have a video of some FOX executive eating a burrito made out of endangered panda that he’s using as blackmail because nothing else would explain why they are unleashing 22 episodes of Dads on the American public.

Comment by Christina – October 25, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Its good you snob, go back to your ivory tower.

Comment by Jon – October 27, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • First of all, it was a joke, so the name calling is baseless and unnecessary. But second of all, and most importantly, there is a general consensus among everyone with eyeballs that this show is at best pathetic. Things that are “good” don’t often generate the kind of backlash that Dads has seen since the minute it hit the air. Even the article announcing its back 9 lead with the fact that this “much-maligned” comedy dropped 40% of its viewers since the premiere. I’m sorry if cold hard facts offend you. But what does Michael Ausiello know anyway, he’s only been doing this for two decades.

Comment by cvg2005 – October 27, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As long as he forwards the naked pics of Kevin Reilly to Mindy Kaling so I get a S3 of The Mindy Project, we’re cool.

Comment by scooby – October 26, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It isn’t horrible. It has potential. Plus, any moron saw this coming. All the outlets predicting the failure and early cancelation of this show were foolish. Fox didn’t produce Ted, which is now a franchise that will mint money. Fox also canceled the Cleveland show, and let American Dad go to TBS. They are worried that they will be out the Seth McFarlane business. So they will keep this around for at least a year, to give him a chance to get this right.

The cast is there. There are moments of quality.

Comment by Patrick – October 25, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fox wants to stay in business with McFarlane, which is fair, but it bothers me that this politics will affect other shows like Brooklyn 99 and Enlisted which are not getting a fair shot (especially the latter). At the end of the season fox will likely renew only one comedy (other than New girl and Surviving Jack), and it won’t be Mindy nor Dads.

Comment by Cynthia – October 27, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haven’t watched it nor do I care to. I just want Raising Hope back where it belongs.

Comment by knd – October 25, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Makes sense. Getting same (better?) ratings than The Mindy Project at a much worse spot.

Comment by brent – October 25, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I barely no what to think let alone say about this disturbing decision. Obviously someone is sleeping with the right person.

Comment by Mel – October 25, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry I meant “know.” My only explanation would be that in my brain I was screaming NO!

Comment by Mel – October 25, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • why do you care if you don’t like a show just ignore it.

Comment by Jon – October 27, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Reasons why I care: 1) Brooklyn 99 needs a better lead in to increase it’s ratings. 2) They need to put a show on in that time slot that people will watch as a lot of us have also given up on Agents of SHIELD in the 8 pm hour. 3) I tried Dads, didn’t like it, and was expressing my informed opinion based on actually watching the show. Good enough answers Jon?

Comment by Mel – October 27, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cancel Dads! Enlisted (based only on the trailer) would pair much better with Brooklyn Nine Nine, amirite?!

Comment by Will – October 25, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More like critics/viewers/good taste be damned. It’s not offensive because it’s racist or homophobic, it’s offensive because it’s not funny.

Comment by Sam – October 25, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Plus it’s racist, homophobic, sexist and whatnot jokes are just lazy to the point where the fact that someone said something not PC is the only reason to possibly laugh.

Comment by Auntie Ralph – October 25, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • thank god the world is not filled with people like you two.

Comment by Eurisko – October 25, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • From your other posts here I can see why you have a problem with the replied post- but what exactly was wrong with the original posters comment? Their issue has nothing to do with it being offensive, just that they don’t think the show is funny period. I agree with him. I watch and have watched quite a few of MacFarlane’s projects and find them to be very funny. I think he missed with this one.

Comment by Francine – October 25, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be very upset if Dads gets a full season pick up by Fox. If it gets canceled, I’m going to be one very happy guy.

Comment by Tran 2.0 – October 25, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you read the article? It did get picked up.

Comment by Keith – October 25, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • When this article was first posted it said it was likely, not that it definitely was. It was updated when it was made official.

Comment by Francine – October 25, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In other words the Fox exec’s feel like they can’t afford to make Seth McFarlane angry.

Comment by writingmyownway – October 25, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t know what people’s deal is with this show, I find it really funny. People are so obsessed with everything being PC that they don’t understand what comedy is anymore. Stand-up comics do it all the time, why not a TV show? Wish people would get off their high horses and lighten up.

Comment by Kristina – October 25, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • pro tip: just because something is done often doesn’t make it right. but whatever, what do I know, I’m just ~too PC~

Comment by Betsy – October 25, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that only a minority of people hate it/find it offensive, but they are very vocal. The rest, like me, just don’t care for it, which is the case for some of McFarland projects, while liking others.

Comment by Cynthia – October 27, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really like the show too. The humor can be just “bad” occasionally, but a fart joke is just what you need sometimes. My husband and i look forward to tuesday nights and watch all four shows. And we laugh a lot!!! I wish I knew who the people are that decide what shows get the ax. I’m tired of seeing my favorites disappear.

Comment by sresaw – January 6, 2014 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Seth Green but……yeesh.

Comment by Alichat – October 25, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously excited! At first I didn’t like the show but after a few episodes saw how hilarious this show is. Been some great scenes that I couldn’t stop laughing. Plus that “Edna” is the under rated character that could have her own spin off.

Comment by Tracey – October 25, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seth McFarlane must be sinking some of his own money into keeping “Dads” on the air. That show is all kinds of bad and it’s a shame hecause the actors are all so good. I hate it when shows like this are saved while good quality shows aren’t even given a chance.And don’t get me wrong, I love “American Dad,The Cleveland Show and Family Guy.” Maybe if “DADS” was animated,it could pass for funny. Maybe.

Comment by Jacque – October 25, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love how two of the worst sitcoms of the year both get full season pick-ups, and it’s probably because of who is producing them. At least on the drama front Lucky 7 rightfully died fast and hard.

Comment by Auntie Ralph – October 25, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Evil triumphs.

Comment by Sean C. – October 25, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yet Raising Hope gets the Friday Night death slot?!?!

Comment by David4 – October 25, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the first one and was not overly impressed, but the subsequent ones have me laughing out loud. I find Brooklyn 999 very boring and not funny, Just MHO.

Comment by Bev Grasso – October 26, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eww. Fox should at least move Brooklyn 99 to a different time slot. Dads is a terrible lead-in for it, being both unfunny and totally different tonally. Or they should move Dads to the same block as Family Guy to at least match the tone.

Comment by mongoose22 – October 26, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Much as I like Family Guy , I really don’t understand who’s watching a show this unfunny. Maybe Fox wants to keep MacFarlane around… that said, even though Fox gave Dads a full order, can they at least switch times with Raising Hope?

Comment by Steve F. – October 27, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do people care so much and get so angry if you don’t like it ignore it.

Comment by Jon – October 27, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because, as explained before by Mel, this affects other shows.

Comment by Cynthia – October 27, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this show is horrible how did this happen

Comment by cececece – October 28, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post