Justified's Walton Goggins: There's a Season 5 Scene that 'Permanently Altered' How I See Boyd

WaltonJustifiedProduction on Justified‘s fifth season (bowing in early 2014) has only just begun, but already Walton Goggins has been pushed to the limit by the direction the acclaimed FX drama is taking his Harlan County outlaw, Boyd Crowder.

“I’ll say this: I filmed a scene [for the season premiere] until almost 1 a.m. that has permanently altered the way that I see Boyd Crowder,” he tells TVLine, careful not to spoil it outright. “I’m as excited about it and scared by it as I’ve ever been, as an actor. But it’s done and that’s what it is. Boyd will have to deal with that emotion.”

RELATED | Justified Boss on Ava’s Shocking Fate, Boyd’s Dark(er) Path and More Season 5 Scoop!

To recap: Justified Season 4 left Boyd reeling after his fiancée Ava was carted off to jail for the murder of abusive brothel owner Delroy Baker — and just as their dreams of the big house with a white picket fence were quite literally coming to fruition.

“This is a headset that I’ve never been in for Boyd Crowder,” shares Goggins. “I don’t think he’s ever been as cornered or felt as impotent as he feels right now. That emotion for a man like Boyd is a dangerous place to be.”

RELATED | Justified Promotes [Spoiler] to Series Regular

The Sons of Anarchy scene-stealer and Oscar-winning filmmaker notes that “while Boyd may not be able to break the glass ceiling after what happened last season, that glass ceiling will definitely take some of his bullets.” And in the meantime, “Between [executive producer] Graham [Yost], the writers, Tim [Olyphant] and myself, we’re just trying to figure out who Boyd is right now. It’s still a mystery to me five years in, but I’m closer to solving it than I’ve ever been.

“Tighten your belt,” he adds with a laugh, “because it’s going to be pretty bumpy on the Crowder train.”

Comments (15)

• I started watching Justified for Timothy Olyphant, but if I’m being honest, I now tune in for Walter Goggins. I need my Boyd Crowder fix somethin’ awful!

Comment by Laura Aliaga – October 24, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There really isnt a bad actor on the show. Hell, my favorite character is Tim Gutterson. Second would be either Boyd, Rachel, Art, damn, theres too many, LOL!!!!

Comment by Pat D. – October 24, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tim does get the greatest snarky one-liners!

Comment by Lo – October 25, 2013 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • awesome! its cool to know theres another Crowder Convert! Walton Goggins steals this show….

Comment by Becky Dale – December 4, 2013 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i want to say that Walter Goggins has the sexiest lips i have ever seen on an actor. i hope somehow he receives this statement. just sayin’.

Comment by edna liz webster – March 26, 2014 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree…Walton always does such a great job. Personally, I keep watching the show for his scenes with Tim Olyphant – they always kill it when they’re in a scene together.

Comment by Amy – October 24, 2013 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Same here – I really like his character, hopefully we’ll see him in a movie down the road.

Comment by Jeff – October 25, 2013 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully Carla Gugino is coming back for season 5 character arc.

Comment by George – October 25, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She would be better for a significant other for RG than Wynona. Wynona is a total self-centered gold digger. Everything is about her. The best thing that could happen for Raylan is that Wynona miscarries. Otherwise, she will be a drain on him financially and emotionally for the rest of his life.

Comment by My Email – December 16, 2013 01:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring it, FX. I am ready.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 25, 2013 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best actor on TV now that Cudlitz is done with Southland.

Comment by Ruby – October 26, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I truly think it is one of the best shows I have ever seen on Australian TV with some of the best actors I’ve seen anywhere…

Comment by Ken Terrell – November 1, 2013 01:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show. The chemistry between the actors is incredible. The writing is spot on and like all the serious dramas like Sons, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, you never feel that you as the audience are being pandered to like the typical broadcast network or even USA (the worst) series which treat the audience like the lowest common denominator.

My only complaint with Justified is that sometimes lines are muttered and are barely audible or perceptible,

Comment by Bobby Whyaskin – November 2, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excitied for the new season of Justified, can’t wait to see if this season Raylon’s expected child comes to the Justified world. Also I must agree that Tim gets a lot of the good one liners in the series. So pumped for whatever comes next in Harlin county

Comment by Jaimeson – November 7, 2013 02:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After seeing Boyd in a different light( Sons of Anarchy) He will never be the same???

Comment by Jim – December 30, 2013 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post