Justified's Walton Goggins: There's a Season 5 Scene that 'Permanently Altered' How I See Boyd

WaltonJustifiedProduction on Justified‘s fifth season (bowing in early 2014) has only just begun, but already Walton Goggins has been pushed to the limit by the direction the acclaimed FX drama is taking his Harlan County outlaw, Boyd Crowder.

“I’ll say this: I filmed a scene [for the season premiere] until almost 1 a.m. that has permanently altered the way that I see Boyd Crowder,” he tells TVLine, careful not to spoil it outright. “I’m as excited about it and scared by it as I’ve ever been, as an actor. But it’s done and that’s what it is. Boyd will have to deal with that emotion.”

RELATED | Justified Boss on Ava’s Shocking Fate, Boyd’s Dark(er) Path and More Season 5 Scoop!

To recap: Justified Season 4 left Boyd reeling after his fiancée Ava was carted off to jail for the murder of abusive brothel owner Delroy Baker — and just as their dreams of the big house with a white picket fence were quite literally coming to fruition.

“This is a headset that I’ve never been in for Boyd Crowder,” shares Goggins. “I don’t think he’s ever been as cornered or felt as impotent as he feels right now. That emotion for a man like Boyd is a dangerous place to be.”

RELATED | Justified Promotes [Spoiler] to Series Regular

The Sons of Anarchy scene-stealer and Oscar-winning filmmaker notes that “while Boyd may not be able to break the glass ceiling after what happened last season, that glass ceiling will definitely take some of his bullets.” And in the meantime, “Between [executive producer] Graham [Yost], the writers, Tim [Olyphant] and myself, we’re just trying to figure out who Boyd is right now. It’s still a mystery to me five years in, but I’m closer to solving it than I’ve ever been.

“Tighten your belt,” he adds with a laugh, “because it’s going to be pretty bumpy on the Crowder train.”

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Previews, Scoop, Winter TV Preview

1. Laura Aliaga says:

I started watching Justified for Timothy Olyphant, but if I’m being honest, I now tune in for Walter Goggins. I need my Boyd Crowder fix somethin’ awful!

2. Amy says:

I agree…Walton always does such a great job. Personally, I keep watching the show for his scenes with Tim Olyphant – they always kill it when they’re in a scene together.

3. Jeff says:

Same here – I really like his character, hopefully we’ll see him in a movie down the road.

4. George says:

Hopefully Carla Gugino is coming back for season 5 character arc.

• My Email says:

She would be better for a significant other for RG than Wynona. Wynona is a total self-centered gold digger. Everything is about her. The best thing that could happen for Raylan is that Wynona miscarries. Otherwise, she will be a drain on him financially and emotionally for the rest of his life.

5. Britta Unfiltered says:

Bring it, FX. I am ready.

6. Ruby says:

Best actor on TV now that Cudlitz is done with Southland.

7. Ken Terrell says:

I truly think it is one of the best shows I have ever seen on Australian TV with some of the best actors I’ve seen anywhere…

8. Great show. The chemistry between the actors is incredible. The writing is spot on and like all the serious dramas like Sons, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, you never feel that you as the audience are being pandered to like the typical broadcast network or even USA (the worst) series which treat the audience like the lowest common denominator.

My only complaint with Justified is that sometimes lines are muttered and are barely audible or perceptible,

9. Jaimeson says:

I am so excitied for the new season of Justified, can’t wait to see if this season Raylon’s expected child comes to the Justified world. Also I must agree that Tim gets a lot of the good one liners in the series. So pumped for whatever comes next in Harlin county

10. Jim says:

After seeing Boyd in a different light( Sons of Anarchy) He will never be the same???