Scandal Recap: The One Where Mellie 'Minted' Fitz's Election Opponent

Get More: Recaps

Scandal Recap Olivia Jake KissThis week on ABC’s Scandal, Mellie “minted” Fitz’s rival in the upcoming election, Olivia handled a Weiner-ish situation and Jake’s mouth found itself in familiar territory.

THE CONTENDER | Lisa Kudrow made her debut as Josephine Marcus, a Democratic congresswoman with a thing or two to say on TV about Fitz’s untamed cobra. When asked by a reporter at a presser to respond, Mellie handles it with great tact, only to let loose with a massive verbal boner when she thinks her mic is off. Cyrus then rails at her for turning D.C.’s flavor of the month into a White House contender. “You minted her ass” while also birthing the hashtag #MellieHasaBigFatMouth,” he roars. Mellie offers a public mea culpa, but the damage may have already been done — Fitz’s worst possible rival, a Democratic female, is in the mix. Will “abandoned baby” dirt that Cy’s lackey Ethan dug up be enough to make the problem go away?

RELATED | TVLine’s Performer of the Week Runner-Up: Scandal‘s Bellamy Young

MAN ON A MISSION | Jake warns Olivia about her father, that he would “slit your throat and drink your blood if it served the Republic.” But Liv’s done with Jake — for at least the next 40 or so minutes of air time — and sends him away, saying, “I’ve never heard of B613, I’ve never heard of you.” Later, Fitz rouses the Remington beast when he takes notice of Navy pilot Pete Foster’s “suicide” (as staged by Huck last week). Fitz arranges to upgrade Foster’s pine box send-off into a private military funeral, a gesture which James brings to Cyrus’ attention (by way of the gravedigger’s Instagram). Cy warns his president that if he can’t put Remington behind him, others will grab their own shovels and start their own digging — and they both know what lies at the bottom of that Cracker Jack box. “Think we can leave the past in the past sir?” Fitz nods in agreement.

Concurrent with all this, Quinn takes notice that Huck has had some “whiskey” and liked it. But as she expresses her concern, he fires back that she isn’t so much worried as interested. “Stop being interested,” he urges her. “Stop while you still can.” Later, Huck listens to a tape Jake made of a Rowan/Cyrus sit-down, in the wake of Foster’s funeral, and begins to glean that the man he killed last week flew a mission that never made it to his official record. At episode’s end, Fitz — after pouring cold water on Olivia’s make-out session with rekindled romantic interest Jake — arrives at B613 HQ, where he stands poised to confront Rowan about…?

RELATED | Quotes of the Week — Scandal‘s Mellie Gets Drunk on Christ Metaphors

SEXT APPEAL | The Case of the Week is a classic, early Season 1 affair, with no tendrils attaching onto any larger arc: Senator Richard Meyers was sexting his bits to Desiree, a pretty blonde… who wound up dead. As OPA digs into the case, and as Meyers’ wife nobly stands by his side, more and more “recipients” are discovered. Olivia uses the wife’s growing disgust to make her alibi affirmation all the more solid, ultimately earning Meyers a “not guilty” verdict — which is nice, since it was his Mrs. who dispatched with Desiree.

Elsewhere: Abby assured David she wasn’t playing games anymore, as she coaxed a late-night invitation into his apartment… Mellie enjoyed a nice-ish moment with Fitz as he downplayed her gaffe and even comforted her some after, with a big ol’ handhold…. Olivia has some wicked wine glasses.

What did you think of this week’s Scandal, Lisa Kudrow’s debut and… the other stuff?

Tags: ,

Comments (53)

• Loved this week’s episode. Mellie’s gaffe was hysterical.

Comment by Cheyenne – October 24, 2013 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Rowan aware that Jake tapped the conversation with Cyrus? What’s up with that?

Comment by laura – October 24, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That did seem rather blatant. I mean if he spotted Huck following him, then why didn’t he see Jake sitting out in broad daylight with earphones and a conveniently pointed newspaper.

Comment by Alichat – October 24, 2013 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unless Jake is working for Rowen

Comment by Crystal – October 25, 2013 12:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This recap is disjointed and I expected better. Does the writer not like scandal?

Comment by azu – October 24, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am wondering the same thing.
      They did an even bigger mess with TVD

Comment by TVGirlCCC – October 24, 2013 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL poor David can’t catch a break… about to win a big case and Olivia yanks the rug out from under him again…

Comment by Cheyenne – October 24, 2013 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hear you. Loved his numerous objections at the parade of witnesses courtesy of OPA. Other thing regarding the case of the week, there is no way in real life the investigators overlook the wife as a potential suspect of having murdered the girl. Oh well this is TV so we will just roll with it.

Comment by Overthinking – October 25, 2013 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I assumed quickly that if she was his alibi, he was hers. Also, that it was his fingerprints found, not hers. So that’s why they didn’t pursue her.

Comment by the girl – October 25, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If David had won and innocent man would have gone to jail for a murder that his wife committed. Olivia was on the right side of this case this time.

Comment by Annette – October 26, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the episode!!! I’m sorry I’m just having a hard time buying Lisa kudrow in a dramatic role, she just comes across to comedic to me, hopefully she can make me a believer.

Comment by Eric – October 24, 2013 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There should be a little comedy. I see hart character as a democratic sarah palin.

Comment by Roh – October 25, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. She has never appealed to me in any capacity, dramatic or comedic. She ruins the stature of the other cast members.

Comment by Jains – October 27, 2013 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with Eric not Roh

Comment by Jains – October 27, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sure the Rowan/Jake scene will come back into play. Rowan had to be aware of Jake. This was a rather pedestrian episode, but I can’t wait for next week to see Lisa Kudrow.

Comment by Ram510 – October 24, 2013 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the episode and liked Lisa Kudrow’s debut. Can’t wait to see more. The cliffhanger was amazing. It was also good to have a case of the week between all the long story arcs. Only thing that is getting on my nerves is Quinn. I haven’t been interested much in her since the first season but now. I would rather see more Harrison.

Comment by Dani – October 24, 2013 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Found this ep a little boring IMO. Love scandal bit this was just alright.

Comment by liz – October 25, 2013 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that not a riverting epi. I just watched Law and Order SVU on Wednesday night and they had the same sexting governor ripped from the headlines storyline. Really boring storyline on both shows.

Comment by Overthinking – October 25, 2013 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So…. Why would jake bring Olivia the pilots file questioning the missing flight notation only to tell her about it at the end of the episode? Did I miss something?

Comment by Saabgirlatx – October 25, 2013 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When Jake originally brought the file to Liv she dismissed him and said that she wanted nothing to do with it. Hick was lurking around a corner and heard the whole exchange. He broke into Livs office after hours and read the file. Did a little research himself then got in contact with Jake. Both of them went to Livs apartment to make her listen. She wasn’t going to hear any of it until she saw that Huck was standing with Jake to tell her the info.

Comment by BriDeSi – October 25, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OK. That was the convo they had in the parking garage that we didn’t see….Thanks!

Comment by 3dhouseofmagic – October 25, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jake the sleepery oily snake.trying to tear olitz apart deliberately!! Is that the only way to get the girl? By the way I’m loving fits, rowan and the hilarious mellie this season so far. The OPA crew and Olivia, not so much!!!

Comment by azu – October 25, 2013 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quinn = Annoying

Comment by Overthinking – October 25, 2013 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!

Comment by mj – October 25, 2013 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This times 2!

Comment by jami1331 – October 25, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was kind of waiting for her to plant a kiss on him while he was ranting at her.

Comment by 3dhouseofmagic – October 25, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show doesn’t surprise me anymore. I had high expectations about season 3, but I’m a little disappointed. Overacting makes this show isn’t as credible as it was. When you watch an overrated tv show you are going to expect much more of it. Am I the only one who think that Bellamy Young is much better actress than Kerry W.? imo

Comment by gaby6034 – October 25, 2013 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then don’t watch it, it’s that simple.

Comment by Sarah836 – October 25, 2013 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @Sarah you’re right, great idea :P

Comment by gaby6034 – October 25, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, you are not! I´ve been saying that for some time too:)

Comment by Mary – October 25, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bellamy Young is a one note actress with great lines. She clenches her teeth and lowers her voice repeatedly. Bellamy does not eyes that convey emotions so she uses other acting tricks which get boring after a while.

KW is a much better actress at showing the emotional arc of her character. Tony Goldwyn and Dan Butakinsky are also good at conveying the emotional turmoil of their characters.

I love Jeff Perry but he overact sometimes and I which he would tone down the dramatics.

Columbus Short is not given enough credit for making Harrison a believable character that you want to know more about his background.

Comment by Anon1 – October 26, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode was clearly not that exciting, but the show is still popping. I just realized, I don’t think I’ve seen Olivia smile once this whole season. Harrison dancing was the best part of the episode, they need to give him more air time.

Comment by Sarah836 – October 25, 2013 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought this season was going to delve more into Harrison’s background. Huck has his B613 drama, Quinn has her ‘want to be like Huck’ drama, and Abby has her David Rosen drama. Harrison is the only one who doesn’t have a story outside of OPA.

Comment by TvPeong – October 25, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, where is the Harrison love?

Comment by KCC – October 25, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It bothers me to read or hear every comment about the slowness of this episode. Every episode can’t be like the season opener; they need a few slower episodes to set up the major reveals, cliff hangers, etc. to come.
    I loved this episode. I think we needed a good old-fashioned OPA case to fix – like Harrison said, “Rent’s getting paid again.” I’m a little perplexed as to how David Rosen and his people didn’t investigate Mrs. Wiener, but OK. Her attitude with Liv, “Everybody deserves a 2nd chance,” with the all knowing smirk, that was soooo infuriatingly good. Because Liv’s white hat has become a little dusty, don’tcha think?
    Jake and Huck working together? So is Jake setting Huck up? Or are they really gonna try to take Eli/Rowan down? And if the latter is true, are they going to tell Liv? They showed her the info they had collected so far. How much are they going to let her in on? Cause if they get to the point of taking out Daddy Pope, I can’t imagine her going along with it.
    And what the hell happened with Remington?
    I was thrilled to watch Huck finally call Quinn on her nosy nosiness. But I don’t believe for a second that she’s going to follow his advice. And I think his advice was spot on.
    David and Abby – no surpise. Mellie’s slip up and Lisa Kudrow’s intro – great comic relief for this episode and great build up for coming episodes. Oh – I have to comment on the use of Nina Simone’s “Wild is the Wind” during the funeral scenes. Hauntingly perfect. And I had to clutch the pearls when Fitz called Liv while she was sucking face with Jake – and then when Jake LOUDLY asked, “More wine?” Delightfully scandalous. And WHEN OH WHEN are we going to learn Harrison’s backstory? Shonda? Please? Can we please get a Harrison-centric episode already?

Comment by LaLa – October 25, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not seen this episode yet, I’m in the UK and we’re still on season 2. But for those asking about Harrison’s back story, I’m pretty sure Columbus tweeted last night that it’s coming soon. Which makes me think it’s before episode 309 as that’s the episode being shot now

Comment by Katie T – October 25, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wasn’t slow at all to me. I think some of these people posting on here are teenagers with short attention spans.

Comment by Cheyenne – October 25, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was a bad case of the week. It was obvious from the first scene that the wife killed the girl. It seemed like a twist stolen from the Practice.

Comment by Mark – October 25, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought it was obvious, but I went with it anyway, because I love this show. Even though the major plot of the episode wasn’t focused on Operation Remington, I appreciated that there was a lot to move that storyline forward anyway.

Comment by the girl – October 25, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We need more Mrs. Meyers. I loved her!

Comment by Jill – October 25, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What actress played the senators wife? It’s driving me nuts.

Comment by Ashley b – October 25, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show and definitely agree with a poster above that Bellamy is a way better actress than Kerry. Kerry is not that great of an actress, IMO. I thought among Tony Goldwyn, Bellamy Young, and Jeff Perry, she was not the one deserving of an Emmy nom. I’m happy she didn’t win. I love this show and it’s among my top favorite shows, but I’m trying to be honest. I hate the whole Jake/Olivia thing because I do still truly believe that Olivia and Fitz are meant to be together. I liked the episode overall, but last week’s was far superior. Oh and Quinn is back to being annoying as hell! I hated her up until the second half of season 2 and now back to thinking she’s annoying as all hell.

Comment by rachelle – October 25, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bellamy Young is not a better actress than Kerry. Mellie gets the catchy lines on the show that are memorable which is why some people see it as great acting. Bellamy did not get an Emmy nomination because she is not doing great acting just saying catching lines like a character on the old soap Dynasty.

That drunk scene was performed like an amateur theatrics. A person who is staggeringly drunk does not deliver a long monologue with no slurring or stumbling over words. It was very obvious “acting”. Bellamy was trying to be Elizabeth Taylor in Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and failed completely.

Comment by Mac – October 26, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so damn sick of people complaining Olivia is off her game this season. If somebody destroyed your professional reputation you’d be off your game. Fitz is a effing jerk. He shot off his big mouth and ruined her professionally and he is either too stupid to realize it or too callous to give a sh*t. She needs to kick him to the curb once and for all. And when she finds out what he was up to in Remington, she probably will.

Comment by Cheyenne – October 25, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so disappointed that Olivia and Jake didn’t have the chance to finish their make out session on move on to making love. Olivia poured cold water all over it by answering the phone. It was an important moment when Jake said that she was not alone and he was not leaving her to deal with Rowan on her own. It was a commitment to her despite being tortured…knowing he could be killed…he was still willing to stand by her. That was HUGE! It was another one of his actions that says “I love you and I want to be with you. I am committed to you no matter what.” Olivia did not value what she had in that moment. It was funny how both guys put her on notice for her callousness, rudeness, and disrespect to both of them.

Comment by Annette – October 26, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you are forgetting that nothing escapes her dad’s attention. I think you have to wonder about Jake’s allegiance. Why is talking to her about killing her dad?! Didn’t that strike anyone as funny? He’s an experienced B613 agent; he surely doesn’t need Olivia’s help for that. If he wants to protect her, then protect her and take the man out. Why do you need her buy in? It’s still her dad….

Comment by M – October 27, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good thinking M!!

Comment by jains – October 27, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to find out who was the background jazz singer/music playing at the funeral? Anyone know please?

Comment by Chelle – October 27, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its by Nina Simone “Wild Is The Wind”

Comment by L.P. – October 29, 2013 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want more of Harrison on the screen. More more more!

Comment by ZuluQueen – November 1, 2013 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want way, way less, a disappearing act of Lisa Kudrow. Ug. She doesn’t fit the part and she is stiff in her role.

Comment by jains – November 1, 2013 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post