Entourage Film Held Up By Salary Demands? 'It's Blown Way Out of Proportion,' Says Cast Member

Entourage Movie ControversyJohnny’s not the only Drama when it comes to Entourage‘s journey to the big screen.

A public war of words has broken out amongst the defunct HBO series’ stars and producer Mark Wahlberg over salary demands that are holding up production.

RELATED | Entourage Movie Gets Green Light — But What Will It Be About?

Wahlberg, whose life inspired the series, told TMZ that production on the reunion movie, which has been talked about since Aug. 2012 and officially got a green light back in January, would start up “as soon as them guys stop being so greedy.”

Cast member Adrian Grenier seemingly responded to that shot across the bow with this tweet, which says in part, “I will sign any deal that gives ALL the boys an opportunity to share in the upside of success EQUALLY…. [D]espite the perception, there is no greed in my heart.”

Seemingly at stake here, above and beyond any upfront pay, are “back end” participation points, which stand to fatten wallets if the Entourage film enjoys a fraction of the success that its HBO-to-Cineplex predecessor Sex and the City did.

To date, only Jeremy Piven — who famously commanded the biggest bucks as the show’s best known, breakout and Emmy-awarded performer — and, by some accounts, Kevin Connolly have closed their deals, leaving Grenier, Kevin Dillon and Jerry Ferrara as the holdouts.

UPDATE: As pointed out by TVLine reader Mike, Connolly weighed in on the hullabaloo during a Grantland podcast, saying, “It’s not a matter of greed, it’s a matter of people wanting different things…. It’s really gotten blown way out of proportion, like there’s some huge money discrepancy. That’s not the case.” E’s portrayer also said that scheduling conflicts preclude the shoot from starting any sooner than December. “Guys are busy, so it’s just a matter of getting the dates right and signing everybody’s deals.”

In related news: Who exactly is clamoring for an Entourage movie?

1. Not to sound blunt, but Jeremy and Kevin are 2 center of the show.

2. Amanda says:

There’s no reason they shouldn’t all get the same deals. It was/is an ensemble show. Regardless of who might be considered the star or center, they all deserve equal treatment in this instance.

3. wrstlgirl says:

So it sounds to me like he just wants them all to be paid equally rather than some making more than others. I don’t see a problem w/that. It’s been done before on television shows. I mean won’t it take all of them to make the movie a success?

4. Bob says:

Wahlberg wants to keep as much of the money as he can get away with for himself. I think he figures that HE is the central character since it’s based (loosely) on his life.

5. Mike says:

Kevin Connolly put in his 2 cents on the BS Report yesterday (Bill Simmons’ ESPN/Grantland Podcast). He said the whole thing is blown out of proportion and the delay is really in clearing everyone’s schedules and getting other things into place (maybe that’s his sly way of discussing the backend points). He tried to dismiss the financial issues by saying that stuff is already settled. He also spoke to Mark’s quote being taken out of context and that he was not being serious. Of course, I doubt he would try to stir the pot more since he’s already signed!

6. Deion says:

Who’s going to see that movie for Drama, Turtle, or Vince?

7. sarah says:

I love Adrian Grenier. I also love Entrourage. I can see Adrian wanting to make sure that they all get paid the same for the movie.

8. Sarah says:

They should all get paid equally. I want to see the movie because of the WHOLE cast, not just some of them.

9. Abby says:

Salary demands would be kinda funny, considering none of these guys has worked since the show ended!

• Katie T says:

Think you’ll find Jeremy Piven has. In fact he’s been here in the UK from April until about a week ago filming the second season of Mr Selfridge that will air in the new year

10. Jo says:

Not-famous guys demanding more money for a movie nobody wants to see. Only in Hollywood.

11. Just one thing says:

This reminds me that one of my dream “Castle” casting would be Kevin Connolly cast as Kevin Ryan’s brother. Make him a murder suspect or a Boston cop, I don’t care.

12. I McHunt says:

I loved the first few seasons of Entourage, but the last couple were pretty dire. It became very repetitive: Vinny has a problem, the guys help him, he overcomes it, rinse and repeat.