Glee Sneak Peek: The New Directions Kids Take 'Lady Gaga or Katy Perry' Theme Quite Literally

Will you burst into “Applause” or simply “Roar” when Glee returns to Fox’s schedule on Thursday, Nov. 7 (9/8c)? Your answer might reveal whether you’re “A Katy or a Gaga” — the title of Season 5’s fourth episode — but either way, we’ve got your first look!

RELATED | Glee Sets Its End Date — But What Do You Want for Its Characters’ Endgames? Take Our Polls!

Sam’s rocking Lady-Gaga-bird-wing drag. Artie’s swinging along to a Katy Perry tune. Rachel’s looking gorgeous. And Blaine…well, you’ll just have to see for yourself.

RELATED | Ryan Murphy Previews Glee’s ‘Inspirational’ Lady Gaga/Katy Perry Episode

Click through the gallery below, then hit the comments and tell us whether you want to put your hands up, make ‘em touch (touch) or be louder than a lion.

1. karlosalonsy says:

it looks super fun! reminds me of the rocky horror show episode!

2. Christian says:

I hate Katy Perry and Gaga hasn’t been good since 2010!

• Quick says:

Gaga is overrated. Katy still works for me (and most of the world).
      Elsewhere, I wish I could see more of Marley and Jake… :(

• Omar says:

In 5×05 and 5×06 we will see more Marley and Jake. I think she’ll sing Wrecking Ball by Miley C. and Jake will have a solo soon. :)

3. Kev says:

THIS is what Glee has fallen the past few seasons. You get 1 great episode for every 4 crap ones. It’s inconsistent. It’s embarrassing to watch. WHY are these TEENAGERS in their underwear AT high school in front of their teacher? *Face palms*
    You follow up a heart felt, wonderfully acted, focused on important, original characters with this??!? Glad I said farewell to Glee at the end of Season 4 (while I only watched the NYC parts online anyway!)

• Anne says:

I agree. Have the people in charge not figured out this is why their ratings are in the dumpster?

• T25 says:

I think the 1 great episode was Finn’s Tribute and the next great one won’t be til next season, or maybe ever again as long as Ryan is determined to make Glee into Blee and give all the screen time to Blaine and the Newbies.

• Jake says:

I watched the first 2 Beatles episodes (because its the Beatles, and the best parts of those episodes were the music) and “The Quarterback” this season and called it quits. After seeing this I’m glad that’s what I chose to do.

• dude says:

Ryan Murphy said he wanted to do a fun episode to follow “The Quarterback” because filming had been so hard on the cast.

• SM says:

I promised That The Quarterback episode would be my last. glee sucks. Finn, my favorite character is gone, so am I. I love Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, Adam Lambert. But, Glee is pretty much stupid. I’d rather listen to the real singers.

• Josh says:

Glee should really have just left New Directions behind. Hopefully next season they do that and focus just on the original cast.

• Alex Leo says:

Although I agree with most of what you said, I still don’t get the underwear comment. Are you saying that if a HS drama club presents a play about Tarzan, Tarzan should wear a suit? I just don’t understand.

• SIl says:

In s1 the girls and Kurt did Lady Gaga. Bad Romance and it was great. Not a remake of her video. IMO, Glee has stooped to the low by trying to redo music Starr’s videos. Starting with Britany Spears in episode 2 do Season 2. At least it had a story to it. But, I didn’t care for the reliving of Britany Spears videos. I realize Brit was associating herself to Britany Spears in that episode. Just saying, that was the start of the redoes of music star’s videos. Since then, Glee has lost the vision of how to do the kids musical numbers not short of an elaborately done music video. Something which has turned me totally off Glee. IMO, their musical numbers are not innovative, fresh and new. I love Hairography episode. All of the numbers. I loved Rocky Horror episode. Glee has its moments. But, they are far and extremely few between anymore.
        The music had always had a Glee arrangement to it. Most of the time, done beautifully. Anymore, the music is pretty much a carbon copy of the original. Glee has IMO lost its innovative magic and the ground that it has broken has sunk.

• carrie says:

AMEN!!!

4. Marie says:

it looks horrible tbh,lack of new ideas, they are just remaking Gaga’s and Katy’s videos. Not excited.

5. kchamley says:

Oh jesus. This looks embarrassing, and not in a funny way. Has Glee really resorted to this? and oh, a gay character in drag … that’s helpful isn’t it. I can’t believe one of my all time favourite shows is doing this.

6. Montavilla says:

Well, I’m looking forward to watching Artie swing on a vine. :)
    And I don’t see anyone in their underwear.

7. Amy says:

I was thinking the tribute to Finn might be a good time to say goodbye to Glee since I didn’t enjoy season 4. Looking at these pictures I think it is.

• I agree says:

Yep, I think that was the last episode worth watching, S5 looks like a repeat of S4 and S4 was a wasted season. I’m going to pretend S3 was the end of Glee.

• Jenny says:

After seeing these pictures, I am more confident in my decision to stop watching after the Finn tribute.

8. Just WOW says:

LMAO…I remember when this show was about talent, now it’s Ryan fullfilling his fantasies of half naked boys. They have Lea, Naya, Chris Adam and Demi wasting away in NY. I guess they figured by making them naked people wouldn’t notice how much The New Directions SUCK! Thanks for the sneak peak, I can skip another episode of Blee.

9. TB says:

Who cares???? This use to be a good show. Look at it now.

10. Tommy says:

I want to know what the Lima cast did to piss Ryan Murphy off because he sure is doing his best to make them looks like fools! I guess since all the real talent is in NY this is what they have to resort to in Lima.

• may says:

“I want to know what the Lima cast did to piss Ryan Murphy off”
      My Thoughts exactly. Ryan really hate them. I don´t even like Darren/Blaine but….IS TIME TO RUN DARREN…..RUN REALLY FAST!!!!!!!! Gawd, This is embarrassing….

11. Boiler says:

Of 14 comments 10 at least should be off here. If you don’t watch the show quit commenting as you are totally ignorant of the show

• Boiler says:

Also TVLine I will renew my offer of a contribution to your favorite charity if comments not allowed on Glee. They are awful in general

• LMAO says:

LOL this is called the comments section. Not the only comment if are going to say good things about Glee section. You sound like one those Glee Forum Stepford Members that thinks everything Glee does is flawless as long it’s Blaine, Sam or the Newbies running around like idiots. No I’m not ignorant of the show, I started watching from the pilot in S1. I think it’s sad Glee has resorted to gimmicks to make up for of the lack of quality writing and the total lack of talent that now makes up the Glee Club. The only thing worth watching on this show are Lea, Chris and Naya, so thank God for the FF button so I can spared the garbage that inhabits Lima!

• Sheldon says:

OMG I was banned from that Glee Forum! They don’t allow anyone to post anything negative about the Newbies or Blaine. You can’t even say you like NY better or complain when all the music goes to Lima. Stepford Members is right on! lol! If you don’t have a group speak no evil about Blee mentality they delete or edit your posts or ban you. They won’t even allow critic reviews to be posted if they are critical of Lima or the Newbies. They are a joke and seem to think their opinion of glee is the only one that is means anything and if you don’t agree you are a hater or stupid and don’t get it lol!

• Boiler says:

If both of you watch this show NOW then I don’t really care what you say if not “cruel”. If you dont watch it now then what you say is ignorant

• jesse says:

Dude you are proving their point lol. Just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean they are ignorant. And sometimes the honest truth isn’t nice, doesn’t mean it can’t be expressed. S4 turned me off to glee and so far the only episode of S5 that was quality was the last one. Sneak peeks like this just prove how far this show has fallen. It doesn’t take much creativity to plagiarize a music video which is what Glee is doing, they are either out of idea or just don’t care anymore. The NY part of the show relies on vocal and acting talent, which is why you never see them copying music videos and playing dress up like they have to do in Lima. Real ignorance is trying to silence opinions you don’t agree with.

• Boiler says:

They are ignorant if not watching which I said in my post if you bothered to read it. Like abz below says, all this crap is getting ridiculous

• Josh says:

@Boiler’s last post: But what Jesse is saying is that you have no clue if they watch the show. You’re labeling them as ignorant and non-show watchers because they’re criticizing the show.

• MissMel says:

For the love of God, people! No one is trying to silence anyone’s precious opinions. Boiler has a valid point. How can you comment on something you haven’t actually seen? There are multiple posters in this comment section that have flat out stated they don’t watch the show anymore. Some haven’t watched since season 3. They are basing their comments on what then? Recaps they read online? A few photos? It’s not the same as actually watching the show

I speak from experience here, because I didn’t watch GLEE regularly last season. I had a busy schedule and couldn’t watch much TV at all. I have HEARD the season wasn’t that great, but I’m not going to go around saying “I’m glad I didn’t watch season 4 because it was crap.” I don’t know that. Maybe if I had watched it, I would have enjoyed it, but I didn’t, therefore, I am ignorant (meaning “lacking knowledge”) of any actual details of the season.

• abz says:

How many times do people need to keep commenting about how much they hate this show, how they stopped watching three seasons ago, two seasons ago, two episodes ago, how they’re done with it, how the first season was the best. how Ryan Murphy sucks, how the writing sucks, how the show sucks, how NY is the only part they watch, how they fast forward the Lima parts, how they’re only coming back to watch the Finn tribute, how it should’ve ended two seasons ago, how it should be cancelled already, how they hope it gets cancelled soon (NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO WATCH!!) and on and on it goes. Everybody has their opinion on the show, FINE, but it’s been over a year of this. Enough already! Everyone gets it. There are A LOT of people who HATE the show or have QUIT it. It doesn’t need to be said OVER AND OVER in EVERY SINGLE BLOG, POST, ARTICLE, OR WHATEVER about the show.

• Olivia says:

… Ryan?

• David says:

But that says more about the quality of the show than it does the quality of the comments…Also, no one is forcing you to read and respond to them.

• Cammie says:

No, it’s really only one or two people who leave negative comments to bully fans. They pass it off as their right to leave a comment as an opinion. It’s how they get their rocks off. In truth, they are very lonely people who have no life outside of the internet. It’s doubtful they have ever watched this show or any of the other shows they leave negative comments. Just like all the negative comments over on Amazon, these individuals have a network going. The negative Glee commenters (can’t really call them Haters- they’ve never watched the show) get a tip-off there is an article and they all but kill themselves, racing to the computer to be the first to leave a negative comment. Not clever at all. Stupid and unproductive really. There are so many better things to do but spew hate all day.

• D.H. says:

IF there are better things to do then spew “hate” all day then why are you wasting your time doing so?

• Anne says:

Last time I checked the site doesn’t remove comments just because YOU don’t like them.

12. jj says:

You should have published a warning with that shot of Darren Criss. I’m going to have nightmares from that one.
    Looking at this pictures, there is going to be way too much McKinley in the episode. Glee needs to get rid of the newbies and Blam.
    Unfortunately, the egomaniac Ryan Murphy is convinced that it is the writing and format of Glee that makes people watch, but that is not the case. The magicial orignal season one cast is what made Glee special, and the steady decline in viewers since proves that they are focusing on the wrong actors. Only Ryan Murphy would sideline or minimize the screentime for their top actors (I’m referring to Chris, Lea, Matt, Jane, and Naya) to put primary focus on their weakest link (the entire McKinley cast).

• GleeNy says:

Yeah that magical formula of Blam and the Newbies cost Glee over 50% of their viewers to a whooping 1.6 rating for Tina in The Sky With Diamonds. The S4 Blam/Newbie Spectacular was total failure and instead of admitting a mistake Murphy will make the veiwers suffer through more if it. Time to admit he doesn’t care about Glee anymore since his new baby AHS is getting the praise.

13. karenb says:

Sam 😍

14. Dan says:

I love Glee, even for the mess that it is. But sometimes I wish they would just jump ahead five years with a new cast of kids. Or start over at the rival school, Vocal Adrenaline. I can’t imagine what Season Six is going to be like.

15. JON says:

Gaga again? Really. It was ok back when she was relevant, but now her song’s aren’t as big anymore. I haven’t even heard Applause in its entirety. I get so bored in the start, I tend to stop it before it finishes.

And they already did a Singer Feuds episode. After a great tribute episode, this is kind of disappointing. Although I haven’t seen this, it seems just like a rehash of a previous episode.

• Linda says:

There isn’t much they can do with Lima other then rehash previous episodes. They have sectionals/regional/nationals, Jarley/Ryder teen relationship drama, Sue out to destroy Will and the Glee Club. Mean cheer leader and bully jock being mean to the Glee Club. That is why I love the NY part of the show and hate that they only get scraps of screen time. They have so much more potential with new story ideas, not to mention Lea, Chris and Naya are so much better in every aspect of acting and singing compared to what they focus on with the Newbies and Blaine/Blam.

• Paulina says:

It’s all a rehash, everything gets reset, no significant progress really. Ryan Murphy even said so, he said he’s always known how the show ends, which means he’s had the same type of ending in mind since back when all there was of the show was the initial 13-episode order. (Not sure why milking this for six seasons, having such a limited vision and refusing to progress the show and the characters is something to be proud of, but he seems to be.) Creatively he’s moved on to other shows like AHS, while Glee’s stuck doing repetitions and detours on what was probably a simple storyline to begin with and can’t progress because it would get in the way of that original plan. ND with its usual type of trials-and-tribulations would be part of that plan, so there it stays. Unfortunately while it was engaging to begin with, because it was new, better done, and much better acted, it’s become far too derivative of itself and the carelessness and lack of novelty shows.

16. kd86953 says:

This episode looks like it’ll be so much fun! Which, I’m sure you all can agree, the cast needed after filming Cory’s tribute. And regarding all the fighting back and forth…it amuses me to great end that the Glee-related topics ALWAYS have the most comments. People who hate the show just can’t resist taking a peak at what’s coming up for the show and then commenting on it, can they? I love this show. I will always love this show. And I will love it until the very end.

17. David says:

Why is Artie the only boy with a shirt on? Is it because he’s disabled? That seems kind of offensive. I mean I’ve seen enough of these boys shirtless, but if you’re gonna do it at least be fair about it.

• kd83954 says:

There was a story line during last season’s “naked” episode about how Artie didn’t feel comfortable about taking his shirt off. It was a great scene with Finn who told him he commended him for standing up for himself.

• Brian says:

Yeah- if you actually watched the show- you would know Artie isn’t comfortable taking off his shirt. But since you comment without actually watching the show- you come off sounding stupid.

• David says:

Not everyone memorizes every episode. I’m a casual viewer who watches when something looks interesting and I miss an episode every now and then. Christ, I’m a full time student and work two jobs. I watch what I can when I have time. So why don’t you step back and get off your high horse.

18. Krista says:

Lots of miserable peeps here. I, for one, am looking forward to the episode. So there.

19. E.W says:

I really miss Cory/Finn but I still love Lea, Chris and Naya so as long they are on the show I will keep up with Glee. Instead of watching it live I just record it and FF past all the Newbie and Blaine and Sam parts. I also only buy group songs or duets by Lea, Chris and Naya or their solos. And since I refuse to buy music sung by New Directions I saved a lot of money last year compared to the first 3 seasons. So I guess there is an upside to having the Lima part of the show suck lol!

• kd83954 says:

While I’m not a fan of the newbies, I have to admit, the new New Directions songs are superb. “Some Nights,” “This is the New Year,” “Don’t Dream I’ts Over,” and “Longest Time” are some of my most played Glee songs (and I have nearly every Glee song).

20. Alex Leo says:

There is just so much hate with the new cast, but I can’t figure out why people take so much time and effort to hate them. There is nothing wrong with them. They are not bad. Why can’t we just say we want the original cast because the new cast is not what we want to see. We want Rachel, Kurt, Mercedes, or whoever. People just love to hate. How sad.

21. carrie says:

I love that when people disagree with what you say they automatically call you a hater and proceed to bully you about it. State your opinion and don’t bitch at others for theirs. In other words – GROW UP!