Tyler Blackburn Talks Liars Farewell, Spooky Ravenswood and Why 'It's Not the End' for 'Haleb'

Pretty Little Liars Ravenswood SpoilersIt’s double the Tyler Blackburn goodness on ABC Family this Tuesday, when the cabler airs its annual Pretty Little Liars Halloween special (at 8/7c), and then launches the actor’s much-anticipated PLL spin-off, Ravenswood (9/8c).

Here, Blackburn chats with TVLine about taking on a starring role in the offshoot, how the supernatural-tinged Ravenswood differs from the mothership series and what his alter ego Caleb’s relocation means for fan-fave twosome “Haleb”. (Hint: They’re nowhere near finished!)

TVLINE | What was your reaction to being asked to topline the Liars spin-off?
My reaction was slightly tentative at first, because of the unpredictability of this business. [Laughs] Once I found out that it was greenlit, I was super excited. It’s very validating, the fact that they thought about me in that way. But there was very little prior knowledge. [Executive producer] Marlene [King] pulled me aside on set the first day back of Season 4 and said, “Hey, we’re developing a show for you!” And I was like, “What?!” [Laughs] It was wild. Thinking back, actually, there was a time that [executive producer] Oliver Goldstick asked what I wanted to do with my career. I remember thinking that was weird but now I kind of get it. I was excited and happy, but, at the same time, I was nervous. That’s a lot of responsibility; it’s a game-changer for someone’s life.

VIDEO | Pretty Little Liars Season 4 — Halloween Special

TVLINE | Last we saw, Caleb was on his way to Ravenswood — but strictly to help Hanna and the girls. How do the events that keep him there unfold?
The Halloween episode picks up with Caleb on the bus to Ravenswood, and on the bus — which is old and creepy — he meets a girl named Miranda who has this spunky personality. They have this weird connection — it’s not necessarily romantic, but it’s almost like they’ve known each other before. She’s on her way to Ravenswood as well to find long lost relatives, so when they get there some things unfold with all of them — Hanna as well. The three of them start to uncover some really odd things in regards to Miranda. Therefore, Hanna actually asks Caleb to stick around and help Miranda, and that’s where PLL ends and Ravenswood picks up. Caleb starts to realize he’s gotten into a lot more than he thought.

TVLINE | We know that he sees his own image on an old Ravenswood gravestone…
When Caleb stays in Ravenswood to help Miranda, that’s something he uncovers and it becomes much more complex immediately. He’s glad he stayed because he needs answers. He realizes that he’s part of Ravenswood, and unexpectedly so.

TVLINE | Will you simultaneously appear on both Liars and Ravenswood early on?
I’m mostly on Ravenswood, but there is room for a little bit of crossover. I think after the fifth episode of Ravenswood, Caleb makes a journey back to Rosewood.

TVLINE | Is there any sort of send-off between Caleb and Hanna that will satisfy fans?
Kind of. [Laughs] You’ll have to watch. In some form there is — but it’s not the end [for them].

RELATED | Pretty Little Liars: Is Ezra ‘A’? EP: Ezra Reveal Is Very Real

TVLINE | Talk a little about Ravenswood‘s differing tone — particularly the fact that you’re playing the same character but in a much different world.
Ravenswood is horror. It’s not slasher, but it’s psychological and spiritual horror. Playing Caleb going from the threat of “A” and the “A” Team, who is a tangible, real person or people, to this unknown haunted town, it changes him for sure. It’s been cool to play that. He grows up even more. When you first saw Caleb on Pretty Little Liars he was this smartass, street rat guy. And through his relationship with Hanna he starts to mature and become more emotionally available, and that gets heightened on [Ravenswood]. He has a lot more going on. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Any love interests for Caleb on the horizon?
There are definitely possibilities. But it’s complex; it’s not as easy as one would hope. There’s definitely room for it but nothing happens right away. Like I said, Hanna and Caleb are together in the beginning, for sure, and then it doesn’t really go away… [Laughs]

TVLINE | What would you say to any Liars fans leery about joining you in Ravenswood?
I would say to give it a chance. The writers are smart and have parlayed one show into the other. The Halloween episode of PLL and the Ravenswood premiere are basically a two-hour special, so if you enjoy PLL, you should just enjoy the whole thing. [Laughs] … Ravenswood is different and is more supernatural, but it has all of the elements that PLL has. In my eyes, if you’re a rabid PLL fan you’ll get a double dose of those thrills.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Premieres, Previews

1. Cruciatus says:

Ravesnwood just doesn’t have the same ring as Ravenswood.

2. Kiarup says:

I enjoy watching PLL, I love Caleb, but I’m not interested at all in all this Ravenswood thing. I don’t want to give it a chance.

• Dmac says:

Wow, way to keep an open mind, God forbid you might like it. So called fans said the same thing about the VPD spinoff The Orginals and it doing well in the ratings and the storylines.

• Kiarup says:

I know, I’m terrible, but I watch already too many series, the 2 times that we saw Ravenswood in PLL, I didn’t like it. It was boring and it didn’t make me curious. I love Caleb and I’m sad that he leaves PLL for this thing and that makes me more “mad” at the new show.
        (I don’t know about TVD and “The originals” because I don’t watch them)

• SimonP says:

I have to agree with Kiarup… Ravenswood may be a great show but i think they are messing with PLL as a consequence.

Now, all of a sudden the PLL universe has curses and spooky supernatural-ly things. Next thing we know… A is a ghost? No, sorry… I love the concept of Ravenswood but it should have never been a spinoff to PLL. It should have been a stand alone show with no ties to PLL, then it can be as bizarre and far-fetched as it wants because it isnt linked to a show which is ‘realistically’ outrageous

• chervonne says:

I so agree with you. I just hope that the show would cancel after this season so Haleb could be together forever.

• Mila says:

You make PLL sound like a cult, its just a show, you can watch and enjoy others without being “disloyal” to Pretty little liars. I must say, RW is very interesting… has a lot of twists and jumps. In my opinion, if you enjoy PLL you will enjoy Ravenswood at least from what I have seen.

• Kiarup says:

I know.. Unfortunately I’m not very good with english, but SimonP said perfectly what I was thinking. If Ravenswood was a brand new show with one of the actors of Pretty Little Liars, I probably would give it a try, but they made it look like a sort of spin-off and suddenly supernatural stuff is everywhere and that makes no sense at all. I still haven’t watched the PLL Halloween special because I know there is Ravenswood again and I’m just not interested at all.

3. kchamley says:

I never liked Caleb on PLL. Maybe I’ll like him more on Ravenswood and maybe Hanna can finally get a new life after Caleb, their relationship was getting tedious.

4. cool says:

Sounds interesting!!! I love Caleb.

5. Tran 2.0 says:

ABC Family may have a breakout hit in Ravenswood.

6. Jules says:

I love Caleb and definitely going to try out Ravenswood!!

7. Shannon says:

The premise of Ravenswood doesn’t appeal to me at all…which is unfortunate because I really like Tyler Blackburn and his portrayal of Caleb. I’m also getting a little worn out on PLL so starting in on another show by the same people would be a little much for me at this point.

8. Jared says:

I was never a huge fan of PLL but Ravenswood actually looks pretty good. I’ll definitely check it out after the Halloween episode.

9. Jo says:

I hope the premiere of Ravenswood has a scene where he cuts that awful hair… or at least washes it.

10. Elyse says:

i’m excited to check out Ravenswood!

11. Maggie says:

isn’t he still in high school? so he’s quitting school and randomly moving to a new town?

12. luana says:

I really loveeee watching pll…but..the thing is..I think all of u pll fans might know but it seems like Haleb is going to end!!:'( and I am interested in ravenswood..but couldn’t they find someone else?? Or if they still want Caleb to play in ravenswood they could at least include the liars more often in ravenswood I think that would make alot of people happy…including me!!

13. Nam says:

I am truly thankful to the holder of this web site who has shared this enormous paragraph at here.

14. celina m. says:

I love PLL and i wish it would never end, but ive seen ravenswood and surprisingly im loving it. I just hope miranda wont interfere with halebs relationship.Or else i wont watch tavenswood anymore.

15. Excellent post. I was checking constantly
    this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely helpful information particularly the
    remaining part :) I maintain such information much. I was looking for this certain info for
    a very lengthy time. Thanks and best of luck.

16. lawn mowes says:

It will save you the trouble of having to pack up haphazardly just as when a disaster is about to strike.
    Mulch mowers cut grass clippings twice into fine particles
    that fall through the turf and decompose quickly. Even though word-of-mouth referrals are
    some of the best methods of obtaining new clients, it is typically not something that can be easily tracked or relied upon to generate a customer list long enough to sustain the business.