Dancing With the Stars Week 6: Weigh in on the Highly Unexpected Results!

DWTS-Val-ElizabethIt was “Switch-Up Challenge” night — aka “Hot mess in the ballroom!” — on Week 6 of Dancing With the Stars, a meaningless term which, translated into English, meant that the eight remaining couples were tasked with one new dance and a “surprise” challenge. The latter twist involved an improvised (and thus, rehearsal free) series of dances for crucial bonus points! Have our Season 17 cavalcade of stars ever been more stressed out?

Let’s high-kick right to the highlights:

DANCE OF THE NIGHT: Brant Daugherty’s jaw-dropping tango earned the second “10 from Len” Goodman of the night (and a 28 overall), while Amber Riley’s samba scored perfection from Carrie Ann Inaba and Bruno Tonioli (and showers of boos for Len’s unexpectedly cranky critique). But here’s the top dance of the night:

Elizabeth Berkley Lauren & Valentin Chmerkovskiy: OK, Elizabeth’s wide-eyed, perky blonde perfection can be off-putting, but her ‘fessing up so authentically to her post-Showgirls shame (“I got really good at pretending things were great.”) won me over tonight. That, and her sexy, truly sensational cha cha cha, which led Bruno to kiss her hand (“So sexy it just killed me…it was brilliant!”), and left Carrie Ann (“You were like a white panther, insane!”) literally breathless. Len was equally blown away, and her well-deserved trio of 10’s was the first perfect score of the season.

But now for the moment of truth, tonight’s results:

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Bill Engvall & Emma Slater
Jack Osbourne and Cheryl Burke

ELIMINATED
…Nobody!

Holy anti-climax! Tonight’s non-elimination was supposedly due to a technical problem during the end of last week’s broadcast in the Eastern and Central time zones, which may have resulted in some votes being cast for the wrong couples. “In fairness, we’ve decided to discard all of the viewer votes and not eliminate anyone this week,” explained a sheepish Tom Bergeron. All of tonight’s scores WILL carry over to next week, however. OK, got that, everyone?

Now it’s your turn. What do you think of tonight’s non-elimination shocker? Were you impressed, distressed, or just confused by the Switch-Up Challenge? And how did Tom get stuck doing that awkward live commentating? Sound off in the comments!

1. Rachel Scott says:

Amber Riley danced the samba, not tango this week.

2. Larry says:

I knew there was some controversy brewing after Chris Colfer tweeted out Amber’s number last Monday and it was revealed the original number posted for her was wrong. Either someone was going to get unfairly booted due to that mistake or nobody was going home. So I’m not surprised that nobody got eliminated tonight.

3. dsrbroadway says:

I had a sinking suspicion after the recap last week that this week would go down like this…but then I totally forgot!

If I remember correctly, only some phone numbers came up at the end, or were only onscreen for a second, but I’m not exactly what numbers came up for who since I vote online.

4. John says:

They need to work on better camera angles. Tonight’s show was the worst of the season, and that’s not saying much!

• Kate says:

They have been really off this year. The timing always seems really awkward. My favorite part is usually seeing the friend/family reactions after the dances but instead now we get awkward shots of the other contestants who seem bored and random people in the audience.

5. Chris says:

Bring back the dancing results show!

6. Tom says:

Best dance was amber and derek! Love brant

7. TVpeong says:

I liked the switch-up challenge. The best two couples won.

8. Chablis says:

Is this seriously a recap?

9. Chablis says:

Why does the headline say it was written by Mitch but when you click on it and go to the article it says written by Slezak?

10. Hillchics says:

I’ve been telling them that this year and last year but they obviously don’t read the comments!

11. Babygate says:

Len Goodman drives me nuts! He penalized Amber Riley because he found the choreography to be too ‘repetitive’? Are you kidding me? IMO, the scoring is way to subjective. I watched Amber do a phenomenal job and get lower scores while others with significantly less skill were given a pass. This is why I stopped watching.

• Fla says:

That makes us two that stopped watching, didnt watch á single ep of last season after not having missed a single show ever, watched the first one of this season and this weeks, thought it would go down fairly since troop members were brought in and would cause unbiased voting But having heard last weeks results, it seems viewers and judges need to watch the dances once more to be able to vote or take dancing lessons – i dunno. There is no fairness for those who really dance their ass off. And the FORMAT SUCKS this season… REALLY

12. Angela says:

Elizabeth and Val’s dance was sexy. They earned that 30, for sure. They’re one of my favorite couples this season-it’d be cool to see them in the finals.
    I thought Corbin was incredible, too, myself, same with Amber, but eh, Len being Len as usual, no surprise there :p. And I’m glad they went the way they did with the results, sounds totally fair and reasonable to me.
    Also, the switch up dances were fun. Some of the songs in particular they had to dance to made the whole thing all the more entertaining.

13. DavidSask says:

The extra points dance at end of show was fixed as to who judges want to have extra points, I despise these cheat producer manipulated crap. I am also pro, changing the judges up as they stale with their critiques and with guys anyhow same histrionics. The show can have more if the judges stop being all The Voice like and hogging camera time!

14. Thanks on your marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed
    reading it, you are a great author. I will always bookmark your blog and may
    come back at some point. I want to encourage that you continue your great
    job, have a nice holiday weekend!

15. Jan Marie says:

It just doesn’t get any better than seeing the gorgeous “Mrs. Anita Pelaez” over at her and her husband “Captain Kutchie’s” place..Some Folks Also Call Him..”The KutchMan!”….(Anita and Kutchie’s Key West, Key Lime Pie Factory and Grill)…Just watching the lovely couple baking together all those Yummy Key Lime Pies at their Key Lime Pie Factory and Grill in Asheville. …It’s always worth the trip to visit them in they’re Historic Key Lime Pie Factory and Grill…It should be on everyone’s bucket list for sure..And The World’s Best Key Lime Pies!..YUM-YUM-YUM…..”Talk About World Class” What An Understatement!

16. Dan says:

I thought the “Switch Up Dance” was just a mess I didn’t find it to be at all entertaining.

17. RUCookie says:

The switch up dance was a pre-judged mess. What was the whole point of that… cuz if it was about transitions, then the wrong couples stayed. If it was about rythmn, then earily couples got voted off too early… sorry, it was a chance to play favorites. Sad

18. Tim says:

It’s going to mean a double elimination in the weeks to come, and I always hate those – especially this far into the season.

19. If some one desires to be updated with newest technologies
    after that he must be visit this website and be up to date daily.

20. Diane Hagler says:

I think they should go back to the judges just scoring the dancing with the stars. The viewers are often voting for the underdogs and weak dancers. They are not the ones who deserve to still be on the show. Elizabeth & Val should never been booted out!, They have great talent as dancers,and having perfect scores from the judges. The TV viewers like to see the good ones stay on in competition, something went terribly wrong here. .