How I Met Your Mother Welcomes Back James Van Der Beek as Robin's Ex-Boyfriend

Get More: Casting News

How I met Your Mother Season 9 James Van Der BeekJames Van Der Beek is headed back to How I Met Your Mother, TVLine has confirmed.

The actor tweeted news of his return to the hit CBS comedy on Friday afternoon, along with a photo of the episode’s script, “Bedtime Stories.”

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers — Bryan Cranston Returns

Van Der Beek has appeared as Robin’s loser musician ex-boyfriend Simon in two episodes, including last season’s Robin Daggers installment “P.S. I Love You.”

Is Simon going to cause trouble at Robin and Barney’s wedding? Or is he appearing in flashbacks (or possibly even flash forwards?)

HIMYM fans, hit the comments with your theories!

Comments (12)

• Happy James is playing Simon again one more time. I can’t wait to see his new show as well.

Comment by Joey – October 18, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s Taking place i’m new to this, I stumbled upon
    this I have discovered It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads.
    I’m hoping to give a contribution & assist different users
    like its helped me. Great job.

Comment by fat loss – October 18, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is he “back” or is he Beek?

Comment by Zach – October 18, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yesssss.

Comment by Babybop – October 18, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they would make a JVDB spin-off from B in Apt 23. He was the only reason I watched that show.

Comment by Brooke – October 18, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Robin Sparkles 5 y’all!

Comment by caskett – October 18, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And still no sisters

Comment by hello – October 18, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to guess that maybe for some reason a relative of Robin’s invited him like Lily’s mom decided to invite Scooter, or he just decided to crash. I hope to see the sisters too.

Comment by WingsStef – October 18, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great to see JVDB returning as Simon. Now, if they can just get David Coulier to visit as well, that would be terrific. I’d like to find out what happened between Collier, Robin Daggers and Alanis Morissette… yes, it may be hard to watch, but I just can’t look away.

Comment by Goodbye Universe Guy – October 18, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can they get Alanis to do a cameo?

Comment by Scott – October 19, 2013 01:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love they’re bringing bak people.

Thought the cameo of The Slutty Pumpkin aka Katie Holmes during Ted and Marshall’s gift flashbacks was great.

Comment by John 1138 – October 19, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your weblog.
    Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one these days.

Comment by religous quotes – October 20, 2013 12:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post