NBC Sets Community Return, Cancels Freshman Series Ironside and Welcome to the Family

Community - Season 4Community is returning to the schedule while Ironside and Welcome to the Family have been put out to pasture.

RELATED | Donald Glover Reveals the Real Reason He Quit Community

NBC announced Friday that Community will launch its fifth season on Thursday, Jan. 2, with back-to-back episodes starting at 8/7c. The following week, the Greendale gang will settle into their Thursday lead-off spot followed by Parks and Recreation (moving to 8:30/7:30c).

Welcome to the Family, which has already aired its final episode, will be replaced by Parks and Rec encores and various specials until Community takes over.

VIDEO | Community Creator Dan Harmon Talks Donald Glover’s ‘Devastating’ Exit

Additionally, the Chicago Fire spin-off Chicago P.D. will bow Wednesday, Jan. 8 at 10/9c, replacing axed drama Ironside. (which airs its final episode Oct. 23). Holiday and themed Saturday Night Live specials will fill the Wednesday-at-10 void throughout November and December.

1. Erika says:

Kinda bummed about Welcome to the Family, it really felt like it was starting to come together in the most recent episode… I’m most disappointed though that there doesn’t appear to be a plan to air any remaining episodes… surely they haven’t aired everything that was filmed already…

Not really surprised about Ironsides… but I’m disappointed on behalf of those who actually liked it. Is three episodes really enough to know for sure that a show doesn’t have potential for growth?

2. Jesslyn says:

CANCELLED??It barely got off the ground!! It’s on at the some time as another show and I don’t have a DVR but I watch it on Demand. Doesn’t that count? I’m so sick of all these new shows that I enjoy but they don’t have a chance! They have already canceled Welcome to the Family and they only had what, three episodes?

• JEst says:

It doesn’t count. Dvr’s barely count too. Watching live is all that matters because that is where the best chance of watching commercials are, and that is what pays for the shows.

3. emily says:

Out of all of the new comedies this year Welcome to the Family was one I wasn’t expecting to get canceled. I was really enjoying that show and it was getting better week to week. If there are any new comedies that need to be cancled it would be, The Millers, and Mom ( I know they have already been renewed!) but they just are not that funny. Another that should go is The Michael J. Fox Show.

4. Carol C says:

I’m sorry about Welcome to the Family because I really like Mary McCormack and Mike O’Malley.

5. NYCer4Life says:

A damn shame about WELCOME TO THE FAMILY. Mike O’Malley and Ricardo Chavira are so great in it. And it’s actually really funny.

6. Rain says:

Every year I say I’m not going to watch new shows since they always cancel the ones I love and then I give in. Ironside was my favorite show this year, I’m so upset right now. :(

7. JT says:

I liked “Welcome to the Family”, the idea and the characters, but I feel weak the scripts. The cultural difference between the families would be a great and funny source of amazing situations. But they use this so weak. I hoped this show would have time to improve the script, because I thing this is a good idea. So sad.

8. prish says:

I’m sorry about Ironside. I, just, saw the third episode. It was quite good. NBC is making a big mistake. Hopefully, the peacock will change its mind.

9. adrienne says:

i LOVED IRONSIDE I AGREE IT WAS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER I THINK YOU CUT IT TOO SOON!!!

10. The only thing I took away from this is Jesse Lee Soffer on a weekly basis beginning January 8!!!

11. Cathy Viviano says:

N B C IS getting worse now that the office (us version) was cancelled! Let’s face it n b c used to be good with shows like Frasier cheers mad about you friends Will & grace Seinfeld blossom fresh Prince of bel air etc :)

12. Zoe says:

I wanted to like Ironside. Really, I did. But it was just uninteresting to me. Glad to see Wednesday will once again be Dick Wolf night (aw yes), I’ll watch anything that has his name on it.

I’m sad for Pablo Schreiber though. I just hope that this doesn’t mean more appearances on SVU as William Lewis… For Liv’s sake, of course.

13. Charlie says:

Ironside is amazing!!! What is NBC thinking??!!

14. Julianne Latimer says:

Re iornside I love this show …why o why always the good scripted intelligent shows..gone .reality shows abound. Just wanted to voice my dissatisfaction with network tv

15. willow says:

Ironside was great. Four episodes is definitely not giving it a chance. Bring it back please

16. Maralynn says:

Big mistake taking off Ironside. Finally a program without a lot of blood and guts and sex! I really enjoy it. I think NBC should look at taking off some other useless, mindless, program. This decision they need to rethink.

• curtis martin says:

I agree,Its the only show wroth watching on Wed.If you got to cansal ashow or shows starte with the realate shows.

17. heather says:

community sucks nbc needs to bring back ironside

18. rico says:

Too bad about “Ironside”. There was a powerful message about forgiveness that Bobby showed toward his partner, who accidentally shot him and put him in the chair for life. Also those who are handicapped will lose a great hero. This show had tremendous potential. too bad that T.V. programs are filled with corny plots, folks trying to be what they are not in their sexuality, and those obnoxious “real t.v” shows that are awaste of time, money, and life. What is this world coming to ?

19. Olivia says:

Ironside the best show better than anything esle on t.v very good bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡!!!!

20. RL says:

I’m so disappointed that Ironside was cancelled, this show was so entertaining, smart and so not typical in so many ways. What do we need to do to this show returned? The plots were so different and unique, not the common easy story, I really just don’t understand how or why this show would be canceled! Bring it back!!!

21. fred says:

Ironside was a great movie , show it at 7:00 instead of 8:00 a lot of people got to get up very early to go to work , but Ironside was a winning

22. Nancy says:

As long as CHICAGO FIRE, REVOLUTION and SEAN SAVES THE WORLD are on the air, I will be very happy!! CHICAGO FIRE JUST ROCKS!! WATCH IT if you haven’t seen it yet. It will take you in, I promise!! NBC 10 p.m. EST Check out Jesse Spencer and Taylor Kinney! You’re gonna like them!! :)

23. Mike Long says:

doesn’t surprise me Ironside was cancelled – first mistake was Ironside wasn’t black
    Fatal mistake

24. Come on it is on the network that cancelled The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and Star Trek