Blind Item: Hit Series Poised to Kill Off Star

Get More: Blind Item

blinditemUpdate: Actor behind Blind Item revealed!

Check it: A prospective new TV pilot just landed a big-time actor as its star, but the up-and-coming producer/writer behind the future series can’t pitch it to a single network. Heck, he can’t even discuss it with anyone — and that’s because there’s a spoiler bomb embedded within the top-secret project.

You see, the headliner in question is currently starring on a popular hour-long drama series. And if word were to get out that he has committed himself to a new full-time gig, it could potentially ruin a major upcoming twist: his onscreen death.

SCOOP | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Revenge, Walking Dead, Nashville, The Mentalist, Supernatural and More

So the scribe has graciously agreed to keep his script — and his stealth casting coup — under wraps until the morning after the character meets his end.

On the bright side, I hear he won’t have to keep his trap shut for much longer.

You know the drill. Start speculating in the comments section below!

Tags:

Comments (753)

• it’s patrick dempsey!
    he is going to die on greys!

Comment by para – October 17, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think so too.

Comment by masha – October 17, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who hasn’t died on Greys?? Seriously lol

Comment by rk535 – October 17, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • doubt it, patrick dempsey needs his grey’s paycheck to pay for his racing! Although it doesn’t satisfy him creatively, it seems like he and ellen pompeo will be around for a long time

Comment by j – October 17, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it’s considered a big coup, my money’s on Damian Lewis.

Comment by Blake – October 17, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • david boreanaz (booth).

Comment by gabe – October 17, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about McDreamy, Derek Shepard, on Grey’s Anatomy?

Comment by Terry – October 17, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bomb and Top Secret… Thinking Brody from Homeland or someone from SoA

Comment by James R. – October 17, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I know Mr. A. isn’t giving us much to go off here, but he does use the words “stealth”, “trap”, “bomb”, and “drill.” I may be totally stretching here, but maybe these are clues? Something with a military or adventure angle, like NCIS or Arrow? I harbor this terrible fear that Diggle’s on borrowed time now that Roy Harper is slowly squirming his way into the Arrow Cave. Or maybe one of our noble cops will be exiting the ever growing cast of Person of Interest?

Comment by BC – October 17, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think if those are indeed clues, they definitely point to Homeland.

Comment by Blake – October 17, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just have to say…if they ever sacrifice Diggle in favor of Roy, I will flip the hell out.

Comment by Kate – October 17, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Same Here.

Comment by Donna – October 17, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That is just not acceptable. Killing off Diggle would be a very easy way to get the typical dark DC superhero, but no. Just no.

Comment by Lucy – November 14, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Roy should be becoming Speedy. The “Robin” to Oliver’s “Batman”.

Comment by Kylee Pierce – October 17, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Dig will be fine. He’s ‘Arrow’s “Chloe”, I think…that is, a major character not from the comics, made up just for the show. And I say Diggle instead of Felicity because he was there first. ::shrug:: :-)

Comment by AnnieM – October 17, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damian Lewis

Comment by Claire – October 17, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My money is also on Damian Lewis.

Comment by Mike R. – October 17, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • William H Macy??

Comment by erin – October 17, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s who I thought of!!!

Comment by Diane – October 17, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you might be on to something.

Frank was having problems with his health at the end of the season and he didn’t want to take the doctor’s advice about drinking.

Maybe he went against it and the gallaghers are without their main hobo.

I want to go with Justin Chatwin but the higher ups announced months ago that Jimmy had been killed off.

Comment by Lexiana May – October 17, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This makes the most sense to me, but then again the “clues” don’t really seem to be about either Shameless or Frank. It could be Cameron Monaghan with the military clues but if he leaves it would be for the big screen…

Comment by EJ386 – October 18, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hostages, Criminal Minds, or Homeland?

Comment by Brad – October 17, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The pic chosen to illustrate the article shows Jim Caviezel though, but it can’t be that easy, right?

Comment by Blake – October 17, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? Maybe I’m wrong, but I think that’s the generic Blind Item image used on here, and I believe that’s Ausiello himself…

Comment by TV Is My Pacifier – October 17, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I always though the picture looked like Joshua Jackson.

Comment by Jace – October 17, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If that picture is a picture of Jim Caviezel, it is not referencing this at all. That is the same picture used for every single Blind Item post. :)

Comment by Matt – October 17, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • someone from walking dead…obvi

Comment by Desiree Nicole – October 17, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Noth?

Comment by Linderella – October 17, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is a good guess!

Comment by murley – October 18, 2013 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rigsby is leaving The Mentalist right?
    Maybe he dies?

Comment by Amy Street – October 17, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But he is not considered a big name actor.

Comment by CC – October 18, 2013 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is NCIS:LA and would have to be LL Cool J or Chris O’Donnell. I am guessing LL Cool J.

Comment by Kathleen – October 17, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Both were just on the talk show circuit talking about NCIS:LA 100th episode and about their future storylines. So either one or the other is a freakin’ genius about being able to flatout lie to live audiences or….it isn’t from one of them.

Comment by CA – October 17, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I read somewhere that someone in NCIS LA was leaving the show for good, maybe LL Cool J or Deeks, because they were tortured and just cant do this anymore, i will like to be someone in Grey, or Criminal Minds.

Comment by Lorena – October 17, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s not Eric Christian Olsen (Deeks) from NCIS: LA, as I’ve read on TVLine and other places about story lines for him & Kensi for the rest of the season.

Comment by TV Is My Pacifier – October 17, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I hope he gets a better show after NCIS: LA. He’s such a funny guy.

Comment by Zach – October 17, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They just announced that someone from the NCIS: LA cast will be gone during this season.

Comment by Kathleen – October 17, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Daniela Ruah (Kensi) is going on maternity leave

Comment by Estee Thomas – October 17, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • They said someone is going to die — but they didn’t know who. My first thought when I read this was someone from NCIS:LA.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – October 17, 2013 08:22 PM PDT
          • No, they said someone was leaving the team. I haven’t seen any spoiler saying someone was going to die. Source?

Comment by JC – October 19, 2013 08:05 PM PDT
    • Yup. I think so too but I’m guessing Chris. :(

Comment by Suzy – October 18, 2013 03:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Patrick Dempsey. He has a new gig.

Comment by James – October 17, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlie Hunnam? Explains why he would be too busy for 50 Shades.

Comment by cobaltlynx – October 17, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except Aus said the new show hasn’t been picked up by any network so if Hunnam would be taking quite the risk in dropping out of 50 Shades on the hope that the new show would be bought. Besides, his name for 50 Shades notwithstanding, can Hunnam be considered a big-time actor and star?

Comment by CA – October 17, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Absolutely! But Kurt won’t kill him off, yet and Charlie has never showed any signs of wanting to leave.

Comment by EJ386 – October 18, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damien Lewis is the best guess I’ve seen.

Comment by Melanie – October 17, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since your spoiler on Nashville in this weeks Ask Ausiello was that neither Rayna or Deacon die this season but someone else does. I’m going with Nashville. And now we know it’s a guy…… hmmmm could Teddy be meeting his demise?

Comment by Erin – October 17, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s John Francis Daley from Bones.

Comment by Jess – October 17, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In this scenario JFD would be the writer and not the actor, so I don’t think it’s him

Comment by madbengalsfan85 – October 17, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sue Sylvester, please. She’s a sociopath

Comment by B – October 17, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But not a dude….

Comment by John – October 17, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s the only redeeming quality of that terrible, terrible show. Plus, sociopaths are fun!She’s the only redeeming quality of that terrible, terrible show. Plus, sociopaths are fun!

Comment by Zach – October 17, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damien Lewis, Homeland.

Comment by Dana Patty – October 17, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Weatherly? With the Tiva storyline done and dusted, it would make sense to bring in a hunky new secondary male lead to pair off against the new female character and rebuild UST.

And he deserves a chance to be a lead on his own series.

Comment by Kostas – October 17, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Could be..His contract is up this season,right? Did he signed for S.12? He deserves his own series/team. Good actor – killed me in Ziva farewell!

Comment by Lolitta – October 17, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • All their contracts are up at the end of this season. He’s said over and over that he’ll be there until they shut off the lights, not to mention how excited he’s been about this season. Personally, I’d rather see him go to movies post-NCIS but who knows. And with a new spinoff on the board, they’re not going to want to kill the strongest lead-in they have for it.

Comment by tejasjulia – October 17, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh,so I was right – contract is up this season.Whatever actors are saying is nothing set in stone.Would be strange if someone says he can’t wait to leave.I doubt any Network would be happy with that kind of honesty.Agree with you – would be nice to see him on the big screen! Actually blind item is pointing out to THAT type – strong lead actor.Also decision is probably made by actor – not network he is leaving.

Comment by Lolitta – October 17, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Point being, an actor who seems very happy with his job and with a young family (wonder if the baby’s come yet) is unlikely to change jobs voluntarily when he’s got a good gig right now. A couple of years ago I would have agreed that he might be leaving. He seemed very unhappy, but that’s changed when you see/read his latest interviews.

Comment by tejasjulia – October 17, 2013 05:16 PM PDT
          • Nobody knows what kind decisions will be made.Specially with up-coming spin-off. Not saying he will leave, not at all! But it would be good for him go for something bigger then the old show.I am sorry..never seen LESS happier with the season then now. But I think I know what are you hinting on..So,taking into consideration my unwillingness to go there and bash any character or actor or give you opportunity to do so – let leave it on this…And NO – I’m NOT a Tiva fan.

Comment by Lolitta – October 17, 2013 05:26 PM PDT
  • Hopefully someone in once upon a time, because of the ‘big-time’ thing. It’s a stretch but one can only hope; boy, is that show getting bad

Comment by Joesham – October 17, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. But it’s the writers of Lost … what do you expect! I’m one of those who loved Lost the few couple of seasons but then they drove me away with their make-it-up-as-they-went whacked out story line. OUAT has the same feel. Unfortunately.

Comment by Lilly – October 17, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I immediately thought Josh Charles before I was even half way through the article

Comment by MrsVoltz – October 17, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The one clue? It’s a Thursday show so the “for long” would indicate is my guess.

So who’s on tonight?

Comment by John – October 17, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Greys

Comment by didi – October 17, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where does it say it’s a Thursday night show?

Comment by Meg – October 17, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just for the sake of throwing another idea out there, someone from Covert Affairs? Chris Gorham or Peter Gallagher? I haven’t watch since S3 so I have no idea if it’s a realistic guess. IDK, the words that were noticed by BC a few comments above make me think something related to the CIA.

Comment by Olivia – October 17, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That could be possible. I could see that.

Comment by Katie – October 17, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Emerson, POI

Comment by pilo – October 17, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If the POI writers are bold enough to kill him off, I’m gone.

Comment by carlycane – October 17, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Although I’m with POI as long as Caviezel is there…. But this season has a different feel. Not sure if it’s the addition of too many characters or what. Loved the basic magic between Caviezel and Emerson (and Bear).

Comment by Lilly – October 17, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with you. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Shoehorning Shaw and Root into the storyline and trying to make them fit is sad. I like it basic too. Some people can’t leave a good thing alone.

Comment by lll – October 18, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Totally agree! I like both Root and Shaw okay, I guess, (and LOVE those actresses) but it’s like they got an audience and decided they had to spend more money on cast. Both of them incorporated at once are just a distraction from Reese, Finch, Carter & Fusco!
            But I also hate it when a good show is ruined because the writers have to “develop the characters” and forget about the story that drew us to the show in the first place. That’s why shows like NCIS are so successful. They explore a little side-stories about the characters, but they never get away from the basic formula: Great characters we just love spending an hour with each week solve crimes involving military personnel. Period. (I watch The Walking Dead to get my gut-wrenching, self-destructive story lines!!)

Comment by Lilly – October 18, 2013 02:06 PM PDT
  • Damian Lewis

Comment by Amrita – October 17, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe Damian Lewis has a contract which has him obligated to do a few more seasons of ‘Homeland’, I highly doubt they’ll kill him off the show, BUT it could happen! After surveying various dramas, I think the type of show that would get away with this would be a long-running series, being a series that has been on air over three years or so. Thinking along these lines, Patrick Dempsey is looking pretty good. However, the description of “big-time” actor implies this is actor is well-known, whether or not that is within the television community or the acting community, is uncertain. Additionally, I would assume that if the scribe did not have to wait much longer to make the announcement, the episode of the show in which the character perishes must be occurring sooner rather than later. So, popular long-running dramas that are airing on television right now with “big-time” actors: ‘Sons of Anarchy’, ‘The Walking Dead’, ‘Boardwalk Empire’, ‘The Good Wife’, ‘CSI’, ‘NCIS’, ‘Criminal Minds’, ‘Parenthood’, ‘Supernatural’, ‘Bones’, ‘Castle’, and ‘Grey’s Anatomy’. I’m sure I’ve left some out, but these were the first ones that came to mind.

Comment by Katie – October 17, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I doubt seriously Shonda will kill off either Mer or Der. She’s gotten way too much flak for dipping into the death well too many times – often just to get rid of a character. The MerDer relationship is too central to the story she wants to tell on Grey’s, I think – he could well depart the show, as could Pompeo, but I strongly doubt that the mechanism would be the character’s death. All signs point to Lewis, I think, including the “stealth”/”bomb”/”top-secret” language in the item itself.

Comment by Annie – October 18, 2013 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, well … It could be the landing of John Noble in Sleepy Hollow, is not it?

Comment by Zepp OnAir – October 17, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • its josh dallas from once

Comment by jonathan – October 17, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife came to my mind immediately, maybe because of the article earlier today?

Comment by Kim R – October 17, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see we are going for jokes today. Okay.

Bryan Cranston. And, this was supposed to be posted a year ago, but there was a glitch in the tvline.com server.

Comment by Marc – October 17, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My related joke was going to be, Jesse gets killed because he was driving the car too fast!

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 17, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kevin Bacon getting killed on The Following?

Comment by Monica – October 17, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Michael suggests it will happen soon, and The Following isn’t even expected back “soon”.

Comment by TV Gord – October 17, 2013 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m off to form a prayer circle that it’s nobody on a show that I watch.

Comment by Steph – October 17, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uuuuugh, Damien Lewis seems pretty obvi. as much as I hate to say it. :(

Comment by didi – October 17, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patrick Dempsey has repeteadly said he has no intention of leaving Grey’s because it gives him the money necessary to race cars. But Kevin McKidd or Jesse Williams could be leaving, though I wish they wouldn’t kill them off!
    But my heart says it might be James Caviezel, from Person of Interest, and I will get extremely pissed off if this is the case! He can’t leave! His an integral part of POI!

Comment by Jules – October 17, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it isn’t Michael Weatherly, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Comment by 4luvofncis – October 17, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why not! He is a great actor, he needs to get out from that bullpen and ridiculous head-slaps!I certainly wouldn’t be surprised too.

Comment by Anita – October 17, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jim Caviezel, Person Of Interest

Comment by Becca – October 17, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Like I said to @piio, if they kill him off, I am so not watching anymore.

Comment by carlycane – October 17, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No way. Caviezel IS Person of Interest.

Comment by Lilly – October 17, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A while ago there were spoilers out there that Mozzie of “White Collar” might die. He’ll get poisoned and there were discussions that he already almost died once and this time he could REALLY die. I’m just not sure if he would fit the criteria and if Willie Garson is really a “big name” that could “pull off” his own show. Don’t misunderstand me, I love the “little guy” to pieces ,and I would be devastated if they REALLY went there, but then again, it would definitely give the show a new jolt since he’s basically Neal’s longest friend…
    But like I said, I wouldn’t consider him a “superstar” or “big name” or such…

Comment by Kat – October 17, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not sure who it is but its probably a character from either criminal minds, greys anatomy, scandal or bones.

Comment by masha – October 17, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If its a Thursday show, why would Josh Dallas or someone from “The Good Wife” even be mentioned? I think Patrick Dempsey’s contract runs out this year (read that somewhere), but there are actually a few guys on Greys who could be candidates.

Comment by spotteddog – October 17, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unless the show is going to shoot in England, it is not Damian Lewis. Lewis will be doing movies for a while before he commits to another TV gig.

Comment by johnhelvete – October 17, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what i consider to be clues lead to military or cop type shows…all i know is it better not be billy burke from revolution…the show could still work without him but it would be missing some serious spark…

Comment by ali – October 17, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matthew Gray Gubler from Criminal Minds?????
    He does not have a contract for next year……

Comment by AZ – October 17, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is he as big a name as some other celebrities, though? I adore the guy, of course, but I don’t know how well known he is outside of the show’s fanbase. Maybe he is, who knows?
      I hope to god it isn’t him, though. I would NOT be happy about that.

Comment by Angela – October 17, 2013 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That I could live with. He was awesome in the first couple of seasons but has become a bit of a drag…

Comment by EJ386 – October 18, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about McDreamy on Grey’s? I seem to remember that he did a limited contract when his old one ran out.

Comment by AnninD – October 17, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everyone keeps saying him, but I can’t see him doing a new show for some reason? Like if he ever leaves Grey’s, I can see him semi-retiring from acting and going to racing.

Comment by Addie – October 17, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My first thought is Kevin Bacon from The Following

Comment by Montycora – October 17, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going with George Eads from CSI. After his on set blow-up earlier this year and his forced hiatus, this would make sense.

Comment by Ben – October 17, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh! That would be very interesting, though, again, hard to say if he qualifies as “big-time” in this context. Though, now that I think of it, “big-time” could be a pointer to movies. Who’s had a reasonable movie career?

Comment by tejasjulia – October 17, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • umm… im gonna go with the governor on twd, although i wouldnt consider him a major character er anything…

Comment by Tvfanatic – October 17, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sensible, but it’s already been announced that the actor has signed up for another series – so it can’t be him.

Comment by xK – October 18, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post