ABC's The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife Get Order For Additional Scripts

The GoldbergsABC has handed its new Tuesday comedy block a (measured) vote of confidence.

The network has ordered three additional scripts of both The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife, TVLine has confirmed.

The well-received sitcoms have been performing modestly in the ratings. This week The Goldbergs (5.1 mil/1.6) dropped 16 percent in the demo, while Trophy Wife (4.1 mil/1.3) slipped a tenth.

Comments (50)

• Trophy Wife is hilarious. Goldbergs, not so much…

Comment by RR – October 16, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I have laughed out loud in every episode of Trophy Wife. The Goldbergs is cute, not funny.

Comment by Kassie Black – October 22, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hilarious? Are you kidding me? I’ve been waiting and wishing for funny! There is nothing funny about trophy wife! The kids are horrible and I feel like I’m watching a bad Nickelodeon show! The shows themes seem very shallow. What audience are they trying to reach? Certainly not the northeast area.

Comment by Garry D. – October 22, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love “The Goldberg’
      s” The show is funny and touching without being crude or overtly sexual. The cast is great and it should be moved to the slot after another favorite show “The Middle” Who does not love Sue Heck?

Comment by peter – October 25, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t like the first episode of the Goldbergs. But I tuned in to a couple of other episodes, and now like it. Hope it makes it.

Comment by Dan – October 30, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im really liking The Goldbergs but Trophy Wife..not so much

Comment by kyle – October 16, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! The Goldbergs is by far my favorite new comedy of the year. Heartfelt and funny. Great combination.

Comment by JSG5 – October 16, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Goldbergs hilarious Trophy Wife definitely not so much

Comment by Asia – October 16, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is good news. I really like both of these shows. Goldbergs was a surprise and I hope it sticks around. Trophy wife kind of grew on me the first couple of weeks. The only abc comedy that didn’t really work this fall is super fun night. Last weeks episode was way better than the first week though.

Comment by David – October 16, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually enjoy both of these shows. Glad more scripts were ordered.

Comment by Megan – October 16, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Trophy Wife is hilarious and needs to be on after Modern Family…Goldbergs is a horrible knock-off wannabe of Wonder Years with a horrid cast.

Comment by A.D. – October 16, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know more scripts ordered doesn’t necessarily mean more episodes filmed but I’m happy to hear that news. I love both of these shows.

Comment by tp – October 16, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Trophy Wife! Now if they’ll just move it to Wednesdays….

Comment by Christina – October 16, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news! Love both shows. Hope they both get full seasons.

Comment by Nicole – October 16, 2013 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh good! I really like Trophy Wife. It’s sweet and fun, I hope more people tune in.

Comment by Sam – October 16, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Trophy Wife would work great on Wednesdays and Back In the Game would work great after The Goldbergs… :(

Comment by Austin – October 16, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Trophy Wife. Great casting!

Comment by Tony – October 16, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m enjoying both shows, particularly Trophy Wife. So I hope this turns into an order for actual episodes!

Comment by Josh Emerson – October 16, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like both shows a lot. Of course with ABC’s terrible scheduling choices I doubt either will make it.

Comment by et al – October 16, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy to hear this! The Goldbergs is okay but The Trophy Wife is fantastic! I’ve been really enjoying this, so this leap of faith by ABC is a good sign.

Comment by Eric – October 16, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No word yet on the status of both Back in the Game and Super Fun Night?

Comment by Tran 2.0 – October 16, 2013 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to hear about Trophy Wife. Let’s just be honest, The Goldbergs is an unworthy lead-in for TW. ABC screwed up big time when they put Super Fun Night on after Modern Family. (SFN is easily in the top 5 of worst shows of the new season.) TW should be on after MF. Not only does it deserve the MF lead-in, but in terms of pairings, it’s actually the much more logical choice. the ModFam/TW pairing just makes sense, unlike the MF/SFN pairing. ABC is pulling an NBC…

Comment by Ron – October 16, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. On top of that, I think The Goldbergs would pair much better with The Middle. They totally screwed up with scheduling their new comedies. Back in the Game and Super Fun Night do not belong where they are.

Comment by CJ – October 16, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news, Trophy Wife is my favorite new show, so hopefully we get a back nine, but I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts. The Goldbergs is good as well.

Comment by Mike R. – October 16, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I love both of these shows! Definitely agree that Trophy Wife would do better paired with Modern Family. When Super Fun Night inevitably gets cancelled, ABC needs to move it to that time slot.

Comment by erin – October 16, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! The Goldbergs!

Comment by N – October 16, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Trophy wife but have no idea when it is on. I watch it on Hulu.

Comment by Marcie – October 16, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m loving both shows, especially Goldbergs! However Trophy Wife has been a lot better the back 2 weeks. I hope somehow both shows make it tinder another season

Comment by Ram510 – October 16, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving Trophy Wife and despite Trophy Wife’s less than stellar premiere it has actually kept its audience which is much more important.

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – October 16, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The networks don’t help themselves by releasing early previews of the pilot episode – few people want to see the same episode twice – hence the opening numbers are unrealistic

Comment by cuius – October 17, 2013 02:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Plus both these comdies are doing better then what Happy Endings and Apt 23 did in this spot last year, not saying nothing bad about those shows but this should show ABC that both shows are just at bad time slot and could rise to similar numbers of the middle if moved to wed.

Comment by Fernando – October 16, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both of these shows and I want them to succeed. My issue is that although they are both family comedies, they are both very different. Goldbergs should have been right after the middle, and trophy wife right after mondern family. That just makes sense to me, they would all go well together. ABC please do not cancel these lovely shows.

Comment by Michael – October 16, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is good news. My family really enjoy both shows. Here’s hoping both shows get a full year pick up.

Comment by Wes – October 16, 2013 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving The Goldbergs!

Comment by Beth Ann – October 17, 2013 01:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Some Thoughts on TV.

Comment by tvfreakum – October 17, 2013 04:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like both of these shows, so this is good news!

Comment by TobyG. – October 17, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Couldn’t finish the 1st ep of Trophy Wife but reallly enjoying Goldbergs -

Comment by lisa – October 17, 2013 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! love trophy wife… bert is a hero..

Comment by Shauna – October 17, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome. I love the Goldbergs and Trophy Wife is good too. Neither one was in my watch list for fall and both have been pleasant surprises. Alongside Brooklyn 99 they are the best new comedies of the season!

Comment by murley – October 17, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP TROPHY WIFE

Comment by karenb888 – October 17, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All of you who say trophy wife is so great– please watch mom, the millers and Sean saves the world and see what sitcoms are supposed to be– FUNNY

Comment by Chris – October 17, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome. Coming into this fall season, of the 16 returning shows I watched, only one, The Big Bang Theory, was a half-hour comedy–the rest were all 1-hour dramas. Rarely are there comedies that end up on my watch list past their pilots. This year, both Tropy Wife and The Goldbergs made my cut. Trophy Wife is actually laugh outloud funny and The Goldbergs, though the first couple episodes had some problems, improved each week and I am actually really loving it. Glad to hear both are getting a decent chance although I guess it shouldn`t be surprising considering the that some other new ABC shows such as Betrayel and Lucky 7 flopped royally­.

Comment by Ally Oop – October 17, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tried watching, “the Goldbergs,” and was so bored I started cleaning the house instead. I don’t see how this show can last.

Comment by Kristen – October 18, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the funniest show I’ve seen in a longgggg time… Maybe because I lived in the 80s but it cracks me up!!

Comment by Shirley – October 18, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • trophy wife awful Goldbergs pretty funny.

Comment by steve bentley – October 19, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sausage Cobbler? Really ABC, quite offensive on the Goldbergs tonight.

Comment by DH – October 22, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am IN LOVE with the Goldberg’s! I found it on hulu and have watched every episode 2 to 3 times!! can’t wait for tonight’s :)

Comment by donna defilippo – November 19, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Goldburgs is in no way a Wonder Years knock off. They couldn’t be more opposite. Love both of these shows, really hoping they stick around.

Comment by Kaylie – March 18, 2014 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post