ABC's The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife Get Order For Additional Scripts

The GoldbergsABC has handed its new Tuesday comedy block a (measured) vote of confidence.

The network has ordered three additional scripts of both The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife, TVLine has confirmed.

The well-received sitcoms have been performing modestly in the ratings. This week The Goldbergs (5.1 mil/1.6) dropped 16 percent in the demo, while Trophy Wife (4.1 mil/1.3) slipped a tenth.

1. RR says:

Trophy Wife is hilarious. Goldbergs, not so much…

• Kassie Black says:

I agree! I have laughed out loud in every episode of Trophy Wife. The Goldbergs is cute, not funny.

• Garry D. says:

Hilarious? Are you kidding me? I’ve been waiting and wishing for funny! There is nothing funny about trophy wife! The kids are horrible and I feel like I’m watching a bad Nickelodeon show! The shows themes seem very shallow. What audience are they trying to reach? Certainly not the northeast area.

• peter says:

I love “The Goldberg’
      s” The show is funny and touching without being crude or overtly sexual. The cast is great and it should be moved to the slot after another favorite show “The Middle” Who does not love Sue Heck?

• Dan says:

I didn’t like the first episode of the Goldbergs. But I tuned in to a couple of other episodes, and now like it. Hope it makes it.

2. kyle says:

Im really liking The Goldbergs but Trophy Wife..not so much

3. JSG5 says:

Great news! The Goldbergs is by far my favorite new comedy of the year. Heartfelt and funny. Great combination.

4. Asia says:

Goldbergs hilarious Trophy Wife definitely not so much

5. David says:

This is good news. I really like both of these shows. Goldbergs was a surprise and I hope it sticks around. Trophy wife kind of grew on me the first couple of weeks. The only abc comedy that didn’t really work this fall is super fun night. Last weeks episode was way better than the first week though.

6. Megan says:

I actually enjoy both of these shows. Glad more scripts were ordered.

7. A.D. says:

Trophy Wife is hilarious and needs to be on after Modern Family…Goldbergs is a horrible knock-off wannabe of Wonder Years with a horrid cast.

8. tp says:

I know more scripts ordered doesn’t necessarily mean more episodes filmed but I’m happy to hear that news. I love both of these shows.

9. Christina says:

Yay Trophy Wife! Now if they’ll just move it to Wednesdays….

10. Nicole says:

Awesome news! Love both shows. Hope they both get full seasons.

11. Sam says:

Oh good! I really like Trophy Wife. It’s sweet and fun, I hope more people tune in.

12. Austin says:

Trophy Wife would work great on Wednesdays and Back In the Game would work great after The Goldbergs… :(

13. Tony says:

Love Trophy Wife. Great casting!

14. Josh Emerson says:

I’m enjoying both shows, particularly Trophy Wife. So I hope this turns into an order for actual episodes!

15. et al says:

I like both shows a lot. Of course with ABC’s terrible scheduling choices I doubt either will make it.

16. Eric says:

Very happy to hear this! The Goldbergs is okay but The Trophy Wife is fantastic! I’ve been really enjoying this, so this leap of faith by ABC is a good sign.

17. Tran 2.0 says:

No word yet on the status of both Back in the Game and Super Fun Night?

18. Ron says:

Glad to hear about Trophy Wife. Let’s just be honest, The Goldbergs is an unworthy lead-in for TW. ABC screwed up big time when they put Super Fun Night on after Modern Family. (SFN is easily in the top 5 of worst shows of the new season.) TW should be on after MF. Not only does it deserve the MF lead-in, but in terms of pairings, it’s actually the much more logical choice. the ModFam/TW pairing just makes sense, unlike the MF/SFN pairing. ABC is pulling an NBC…

• CJ says:

I totally agree. On top of that, I think The Goldbergs would pair much better with The Middle. They totally screwed up with scheduling their new comedies. Back in the Game and Super Fun Night do not belong where they are.

19. Mike R. says:

Good news, Trophy Wife is my favorite new show, so hopefully we get a back nine, but I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts. The Goldbergs is good as well.

20. erin says:

Yay! I love both of these shows! Definitely agree that Trophy Wife would do better paired with Modern Family. When Super Fun Night inevitably gets cancelled, ABC needs to move it to that time slot.

21. N says:

Yay! The Goldbergs!

22. Marcie says:

Love Trophy wife but have no idea when it is on. I watch it on Hulu.

23. Ram510 says:

I’m loving both shows, especially Goldbergs! However Trophy Wife has been a lot better the back 2 weeks. I hope somehow both shows make it tinder another season

24. Loving Trophy Wife and despite Trophy Wife’s less than stellar premiere it has actually kept its audience which is much more important.

• cuius says:

The networks don’t help themselves by releasing early previews of the pilot episode – few people want to see the same episode twice – hence the opening numbers are unrealistic

25. Fernando says:

Plus both these comdies are doing better then what Happy Endings and Apt 23 did in this spot last year, not saying nothing bad about those shows but this should show ABC that both shows are just at bad time slot and could rise to similar numbers of the middle if moved to wed.

26. Michael says:

I love both of these shows and I want them to succeed. My issue is that although they are both family comedies, they are both very different. Goldbergs should have been right after the middle, and trophy wife right after mondern family. That just makes sense to me, they would all go well together. ABC please do not cancel these lovely shows.

27. Wes says:

This is good news. My family really enjoy both shows. Here’s hoping both shows get a full year pick up.

28. Beth Ann says:

Loving The Goldbergs!

29. TobyG. says:

I like both of these shows, so this is good news!

30. lisa says:

Couldn’t finish the 1st ep of Trophy Wife but reallly enjoying Goldbergs -

31. Shauna says:

YAY! love trophy wife… bert is a hero..

32. murley says:

Awesome. I love the Goldbergs and Trophy Wife is good too. Neither one was in my watch list for fall and both have been pleasant surprises. Alongside Brooklyn 99 they are the best new comedies of the season!

33. karenb888 says:

KEEP TROPHY WIFE

34. Chris says:

All of you who say trophy wife is so great– please watch mom, the millers and Sean saves the world and see what sitcoms are supposed to be– FUNNY

35. Ally Oop says:

Awesome. Coming into this fall season, of the 16 returning shows I watched, only one, The Big Bang Theory, was a half-hour comedy–the rest were all 1-hour dramas. Rarely are there comedies that end up on my watch list past their pilots. This year, both Tropy Wife and The Goldbergs made my cut. Trophy Wife is actually laugh outloud funny and The Goldbergs, though the first couple episodes had some problems, improved each week and I am actually really loving it. Glad to hear both are getting a decent chance although I guess it shouldn`t be surprising considering the that some other new ABC shows such as Betrayel and Lucky 7 flopped royally­.

36. Kristen says:

I tried watching, “the Goldbergs,” and was so bored I started cleaning the house instead. I don’t see how this show can last.

37. Shirley says:

This is the funniest show I’ve seen in a longgggg time… Maybe because I lived in the 80s but it cracks me up!!

38. steve bentley says:

trophy wife awful Goldbergs pretty funny.

39. DH says:

Sausage Cobbler? Really ABC, quite offensive on the Goldbergs tonight.

40. donna defilippo says:

I am IN LOVE with the Goldberg’s! I found it on hulu and have watched every episode 2 to 3 times!! can’t wait for tonight’s :)

41. Kaylie says:

Goldburgs is in no way a Wonder Years knock off. They couldn’t be more opposite. Love both of these shows, really hoping they stick around.

42. Chelsey says:

wonderful insight. Really enjoyed browsing this blog. Keep up the good work and to everyone keep on learning!