Suds Shocker: The Bold and the Beautiful Casts AMC Vet Thorsten Kaye as Ridge 2.0

Thorsten Kaye Bold and BeautifulA bold move indeed: All My Children‘s Thorsten Kaye has been cast as Ridge Forrester on The Bold and the Beautiful, TVLine has confirmed.

Kaye replaces Ron Moss, who shocked the soap world last summer when he announced that he was leaving Ridge behind after 25 years.

According to TV Guide Magazine, which broke the news, Kaye will make his B&B debut on Dec. 13.

RELATED | Spoilers on Nashville, The Walking Dead, Revenge, NCIS: LA, The Mentalist and More

The new gig means that the actor’s AMC days are effectively over. “I don’t have a contract there anymore,” Kaye told TVG of the in-limbo soap, which is currently on an indefinite hiatus. “There are a lot of talented and caring people over there and I wish them all luck. And I certainly hope that my leaving will not affect the show in some bad way.”

1. TV Gord says:

Wow, that IS a shocker! Good for him. He’ll take that cartoonish character and make it his own.

Meanwhile it’s another nail in Prospect Park’s coffin.

2. English says:

What about his role as Zach for AMC?! He was one of the main reasons I watched the reboot.

• Lexiana May says:

There is no way that the hardcore fans of B&B will ever accept this recast.

Ronn Moss had been with the show since it began and he is and will always be the only person to play Ridge Forrester.

Thorsten Kaye cannot act his way out of a paper bag and will more than likely make the character of Ridge look like a buffoon.

What’s with these showrunners thinking that recasts of long time characters can actually work?

Either kill off the character or never mention them again.

This show has been crap since Darlene Conley died and Susan Flannery left and it turned into the liam/steffy/hope circus bs half hour.

• Jennifer says:

Considering I’ve never in my life watched a worse actor than Ron Moss, I think TK will be just fine. Hugely talented actors on daytime have been replaced before and the beat goes on.

• TV Gord says:

You’re calling Thorsten a buffoon and not Ronn? That’s my head-shaker of the night! :-D

• Dani says:

I was thinking the same thing.
          Ronn Moss was maybe the worst leading man – acting wise – ever. Kaye will have no problem making this dull role his own in no time and maybe giving Ridge Forrester a real personality after 26 years.

• lorraine says:

That’s real cruel !!give the. Guy a break • We love. Him here down in SA•. Good luck [ Ridge ]. RONN MOSS

• EJ says:

Moss has quite accurately been described as one of the worst actors in anything EVER, along with Drake Hogestyn (Days of our Lives). Kaye can only be an improvement. And he’ll have hot chemistry with the gal who plays Brooke.

• Linda Broderick says:

I love the new Ridge. I did not like him at first, but he has definitely grown on me. I find him very sexy – just needs a haircut or trim. I just noticed he shaved for the wedding. I find that he has great chemistry with Katie but not so much with Brooke. I like him so much better than Ronn Moss. I think this guy can act.

• Dee says:

The new Ridge is so much sexier than the previous! I haven’t seen BB in a long time just saw the new Ridge today!
            Hot!!

• Lisa says:

Love the new Ridge soooo much better than RonnMoss who not only could not act but did not look real rsther fefeminine really. I want very much to see Ridge and Katie together time for Brooke to get what she deserves

• Tay Sporrester says:

HELL as a LONGTIMEVIEWER since EPISODE ONE i can not wait, til i see the new ridge! thanks god, finally bell recasted the role of ridge and the new RIDGE looks way hotter than ronn m.!

• Maclise Jean says:

I completely agree with you. He has played Ridge F. for 26 years. Nobody can replace him. They should have killed off the character like they did Susan…

• Tia Pajaro says:

I share your sentiments about the Ridge re-cast. Ronn Moss IS Ridge Forrester!!!

• Tia Pajaro says:

I am replying to my own post, how strange is that? Anyway, I have to choke on my previous rant, because, Thorsten Kaye as Ridge? Not bad at all. I am pleasantly surprised, and Kaye’s Irish accent isn’t as prominent as it has been when he played other characters. That’s probably a testament to the great actor that he is, and I do remember him doing a great job as Patrick Thornhart on One Life to Life, and his scenes with KKL were good. I am eager to see how their story plays out, especially since RJ is on the canvas as well.

• Danny says:

Bringing Ridge back will shake up the current Bill/Brooke romance. I don’t know about Thorsten Kaye’s acting abilities but he can’t be any worse than Ronn Moss. Yes, I give Moss credit for sticking with the show for 25 years, but he never was that great an actor.

• Landis says:

Enough about Hope/Liam/Steffy, It is getting really old. Hope should be strong enough by now, get on with life. Leave Liam to do what ever it is he does, when not wooing Hope. Give him a back bone, while they are revamping the cast.
        Liam and Steffy were the best, in my opinion, couple.
        I am glad that Brooke will finally have Ridge back home. Yes, I want them to rekindle the fire. Something has been missing since Ridge left. TK will find his way as Ridge. Create a new, stronger Ridge. Please leave Taylor where she is at this time…off the show.
        I like her, but once again, she portrays a woman who is somewhat weak, and a little over the top…if you follow me.
        I know it is what makes Soap Operas appealing to their fans. Yes I watch them all.

• Ebony says:

I think without a doubt he’ll do a wonderful job!

• R Stevens says:

I agree on Darlene Conley and Susan Flannery leaving has made the show a bit borring – love these girls…. but as for Ronn Moss – he could get any other acting job – he has to be the actor ever…this new replacement will be a good thing – finaly a new chapter beside Hope,Liam and Wyatt – the serie need some refreshing subject -hope this will be a great change – love BB

• R Stevens says:

WhaT I meant to write – Ronn Moss has to be the worse actor ever – thank god he left- he could not get any other acting job ever – and for Liam and Hope – please dont bring them back together – Steffy should come back for him – lets go on with Wyatt would be great with Hope – he is more man than Liam – and Hope should go on with her carrier instead of thinking mariage…
          And why is Taylor gone – she was great -… love BB

• Jackie Haley says:

I so agree, this Kaye guy is so dirty and grubby looking gives me the creeps. No class at all I feel like if you can’t get the original Ridge back then kill him off or just let him stay in Paris and let him fade away but PLEASE don’t try to replace him.

• karen evans says:

I SINCERELY AGREE, HE LOOKS LIKE HE NEEDS A GOOD SHOWER, SHAVE & A HAIRCUT. RON MOSS AT LEAST WAS GOOD LOOKING BUT THIS KNEW GUY NOT SO MUCH. I SAY CBS EITHER MAKE HIM CLEAN UP OR SEND HIM ON HIS WAY.

• J. Meyers says:

I think Kaye may be an excellent actor in other types of roles, but his scruffy, unpolished appearance is a real put off to me. Doesn’t even look like he would have ever been married to Brooke. When she finally kissed him in today’s episode I felt repulsed. Don’t know why the producers of B and B would have cast Kaye as Ridge. Seems like there must have been other actors that would have been more suited to cast in this role. Have watched this show for years. Just don’t know what B and B was thinking with this one.

• Ace says:

Er do you think that just maybe someone has directed hair and makeup to make this guy look unshaven like that? I’d blame them. This guy is quite handsomely hot. I loathed Ron moss and his crappy acting. I don’t even watch soaps.. Will be now

• Would someone please tell us way they picked Mr Kaye for this part? If they do keep him they need to give Thorsten a make over.He is hard on the eyes.

• I wish the new actor , Thorsten Kaye, playing Ridge, well. However, he does not fit the character of a suave, sophisticated designer. He is too scruffy and I don’t feel a connection between him and The character Brooke.

• Fran says:

I agree Thorsten Kaye may be a better actor than Ron Moss but the look is all wrong. Ron played an arrogant SOB and you believed it even if it seemed his talent was a bit lacking. I don’t see him with Brooke as he somehow looks older than her and Ron Moss. I do know Thorsten Kaye is younger but with the scruffy look it ages him terribly. Not a good fit at all. Re-cast of kill off Ridge.

• kbl55 says:

Totally agree! He’s creepy!

• S.Alesia Schultz says:

I agree that I hated the Steffy/Liam/ hope show…it has gotten SO old! But as far as Ridge goes…yes I was sad when Ron Moss left…but I was also happy to see Ridge revived! I think this new Ridge may add some depth to the character..(which by the way THAT is what Ridge Forrester is A CHARACTER) He is NOT Ron Moss…(Ron Moss played Ridge) Please let the new in and give the guy a chance…I think he’s doing great and I’ve been watching since the very beginning…..
        Alesia

• Tina says:

I totally agree! T.Kaye is NOT charming and his voice is so bad! I hope they get a new nice looking and charming guy!!!

• VIOLA says:

there should be a better role for brooke logan as the matriarch since stefanie forrester has
        left the show. LOGAN IS WHAT RIDGE CALLED HER AND THIS NEW MAN CANNOT DELIVER THAT QUALITY TO THE VIEWERS.

• Anna Burton says:

I agree with all you have said. I am in Australia and an avid fan, but the new Ridge is mis-cast and would the producers PLEASE do something about styling the guy’s hair! it always looks ungroomed and in need of a wash and style cut. An awful replacement for Ronn Moss..

• Bella says:

Disappointing news for AMC but I guess the fans of B&TB will be happy to have Ridge back.

3. George says:

Nope. Don’t care. The quality of this show has been in the toilet since Ms. Susan Flannery left and I won’t tune back in…

4. Morgen says:

Very interesting casting. Doesn’t bode well for Prospect Park’s AMC if one of their lead actors is free to accept a contract gig on a network.

5. Danny says:

Wish he was coming to Days as Bo instead. Not that the Days writers have any interest in writing for Bo,, which is why Peter Reckell left in the first place.

• jerrired says:

Oh man if he joined Days as the new Bo, I would probably considering watching it again! That would have been a great casting decision.

• Bella says:

No……. PR is Bo. Won’t accept a recast !

• Tia Pajaro says:

I really can’t see ANYONE playing the role of Ridge Forrester, other than Ronn Moss. Thorsten Kaye of ALL people? His accent is so OBVIOUSLY foreign and Ridge is AN AMERICAN character. Thought I remember reading that Katherine Kelly Lang(Brooke) REFUSED to work with any other actor in the role of Ridge? What happened to that situation?

• Barbara says:

Thorsten Kaye looks as old as Eric but not as good looking…he will look like Brooke’s old uncle….no chemistry with them…what’s with the accent…

Enough w/Steffy, Liam and hope!!!! Same old, same old

• Chris says:

Thorsten’s from Germany and has spent time in England. That’s his normal speaking voice.

• Cor says:

I totally agree with you about the re-cast of Ron Moss. This new Ridge doesn’t look anything
            like the original Ridge. He even has an accent. He doesn’t seem believable as Ridge.
            I wish the original Ridge would come back. I too am sick of the show being the Steffy/Hope/Liam
            show. It was nice to have a little break from that. Can’t the writers think of anything else other
            to stop weddings all the time and have the actors go back and forth between the same people.

• Tia Pajaro says:

There was also another actor, Robert Kelker-Kelly who played the role of Bo Brady for a while. HE could make a return to the role…….effortlessly.

6. Sheri says:

The man has a family to feed and bills to pay just like the rest of us i guess Bold and Beautiful made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

7. CJ says:

definitely gonna love how this plays out with the new brooke/bill dynamic

8. Lynn says:

I’ll never forget him as Patrick on OLTL. Great choice!

9. Brooke Logan says:

Loving It!

10. Staci says:

i am so excited that is wonderful news he is a great actor and will be awesome in the ridge role

11. Brooke Logan says:

I guess now we’ll get a Ridge/Brooke/Bill/Katie quad.

12. Barb C says:

I am soooo bummed. There goes AMC for sure :(

13. Laney says:

Breaks my heart. He’s become the heart and soul of AMC post-reboot, and Alicia Minshew had just popped back up as Kendall with plenty of great new story. Hope this doesn’t mean AMC is circling the drain for good.

14. david says:

I havent cared about BB since Hope and steffy were introduced but have been following the news here and there. Its about time they recast ridge maybe it will put some much needed fresh air into the show

15. Josh says:

Wish they would just leave Ridge in Paris with Thomas and Steffy. Guess we don’t always get our wishes

16. Tess says:

When did AMC go into indefinite hiatus? That was supposedly only One Life To Live – AMC was supposed to return to film their next season this month! That was the last news Prospect Park shared with anyone anyway… now we get this – it does not bode well for AMC at all. Very disappointing news since Zach was featured prominently in the reboot and likely would still be… and just when we AMC fans had hope of things heading in a positive direction for the show with the hint of Tad returning in the finale and Susan Lucci in talks to make at least an appearance…. It’s great for Thorsten if he’s in need of a job and great for B&B fans because they get to see him on their show now but for AMC fans, this is a real bummer.

17. alistaircrane says:

Can someone PLEASE get his extremely talented wife Susan Haskell on a soap? Y&R? DAYS? Pleeeeeeeeease? (I wouldn’t trust Carlivati and Valentini at GH after what they did to her character Marty on OLTL)

18. DAG says:

OMG – Yes, Yes, YES! Ron Moss who?

19. Chandler says:

Total miscast

20. KCC says:

I’ve never seen AMC, but I’m a big fan of BB and I’m interested in seeing where he takes the role.

21. DavidSask says:

He needs to drop his accent, way he talks or will be hard to buy as not believable in role!!

22. Miranda says:

I am already assured the acting will be miles better and Thorsten can probably expect a Daytime Emmy nom next year!

23. Elena says:

For years, it’s been said that he and Susan did not want to live on the West Coast. This is a real surprise to me. I really disliked Ronn’s acting, but Thorsten doesn’t fit in the role. He’s scruffy, gruff, etc.

24. Robyn says:

Holly Hell…will definitely have to set a reminder on my phone to START watching B&B come Dec.13th.. Okay, honestly, just going to watch THORSTEN KAYE!!! and FF thru all the other dribble!!!!

25. Chris says:

Totally loved him as Zack on AMC. So excited to see him on B&B. So sorry for AMC now. He was one of the reason as well I watched the reboot.

26. Gone says:

Had watched B&B since it began but just couldn’t take one more scene with Liam/Hope and Brook. Stopped watching 2-months ago and haven’t missed it at all. The story lines became so repetitive and sick that it was just too painful to watch. Don’t care who they recast since this show has just plain lost it way trying to focus on the younger members who all seem to be idiots, or the writers assume the audience is, not sure anymore.

27. Tia Pajaro says:

I’m sitting here thinking…..who else would be believable as Ridge? Then……I thought…..Don Diamont would have been a good choice; his looks are as striking as Ronn Moss’s were, and he has LOADS of charisma!!! But….I guess Diamont needed to stretch his acting skills and play a villain; which he does SO VERY WELL. The possibility of Stephen Nichols is also “do-able,” but the GREAT height discrepancy would not go over too well with viewers.

28. Curtis Reames says:

Ronn Moss was a horrible actor! Get over it, he was! If he was SO GREAT wouldn’t he doing other work! This show has become unwatchable with Bill and Brooke being pushed down our throat in an instant coupling and hey let’s get married. Same with Maya and Carter and Carolyne and Rick. Liam needs to get a life, finally Wyatt is a reason to watch but the snoozefest of Hope? No! Bold and Beautiful needs an Earthquake! Literally shake things up! I am excited about this new casting. I was ready to drop this show myself. It can only get better for me. If not, by 2014, I will have an extra 2 1/2 hours a week because I won’t be watching this anymore!!!

• katie says:

Yes! I agree wholeheartedly! But Steffy should get over Liam cuz she’s too much woman for him and Wyatt is too good for Hope. Wyatt and Steffy should get together!

29. Tony says:

My black rabbit Shadow always watches B & B with us at the end of the day and particularly liked Ronn Moss’s Ridge. Shadow will be over the moon to welcome Ridge back, whatever form he might take!

30. Ramona Vaydik says:

My biggest issue has been with Hunter Tylo. I have no idea who did her face job. But most importantly her lip job. With all the money and resources she must have. She truly looks like a DUCK. I can’t hardly stand looking at her. Truly those lips don’t even quack me up. I would be too embarrassed to be seen if I was her.

31. Sharon Davis says:

i HOPE RIDGE GET TOGETHER WITH kATIE SHE WILL BE GOOD FOR RIDGE AND TEACH BILL AND BROOKE A LESSON THEY WANT FORGET.

32. Thorsten Kaye is a perfect replacement for Ridge. Ron Moss acting was poor. Thorsten is so wonderfully handsome. Wow. I can’t wait to see what happens next. Thorsten can woooo any woman. Double wow.

• Linda B. says:

Totally agree. I did not know Thorsten before B&B, but I love him. Especially with Katie. He has real chemistry with her – not so much with Brooke. I hope they keep him with Katie.

• I love the new Ridge (being an Aussie I have never seen him before) but love what I see! What a hunk of spunk! Love the story line between him and Katie! The chemistry is quite exciting! Can’t wait for Katie and Ridge to say “up yours Bill and Brooke, find a lake and jump in it!” Really hope Wyatt and Hope end up together, he adores her so much! Aww! So cute! I now have to tape the show while at work, due to the new Sexy Ridge, Katie deserves a real man, not a control freak like Bill

33. Barbara says:

To quote Yogi Berra, “deja vieux all over again”. Hope, Liam, Steffy, THE LETTER a la Deacon. Next Hope will be pregnant…whose baby is it? ENOUGH ALREADY…WHO CARES!

34. Megan says:

I have watched B&B since day one and love it. I admit the Hope, Liam, Steffy triangle is getting old. I like Wyatt he is a nice addition and I am thinking that maybe Steffy and Bill should get back together. When Ron Moss left I honestly thought there could never be another Ridge. I watched Thorsten Kaye’s first scene and must admit, I like him. There is something about him that reminds me of Ron but he is making the part his own (which he should). I still see Heather Tom (Katie Logan) as Victoria Newman so it’s true that it’s hard to forget an actor who played a part for many years, however, I think I am going to like Thorsten in the role of Ridge. If Ron Moss won’t come back, I am glad that they re-cast because I will always be a fan of Brooke and Ridge. All I can say is give the guy a chance. I don’t know why people have to be so insulting to Ron Moss and Thorsten Kaye. Keep in mind that the actors can read your comments and how would you feel seeing people insulting you?

35. katbritt says:

Not keen on the new Ridge, my hope would have been Rick Springfield to play Ridge, he is so good looking and neat, where as this new Ridge looks scruffy and doesn’t appeal at all.

Missed Steffy, she and Liam are a great match, wish he would grow up and the only hope for that would be back with Steffy, where as Wyatt and Hope are great together.

Hope Ridge ends up with Katie, that will teach Brook a lesson that hopefully after so much betrayal of others especially her family will make you get out of her own selfish way and begin to be a real women.

36. Elise says:

haven’t watched B&B for years but it was on after checking wind chill temps in Minneapolis on noon news yesterday and I’m recovering from hip surgery so watched noon news again today so was confused when Brooke was talking about Ridge being back—so confused–so came to my lovely tv line to clarify things—I don’t know how I feel about Ronn Moss’ acting ability but he was Ridge for 25 years so they should have honored Ronn by killing the character off

37. Claudia Oswald says:

Clean up the new Ridge, he is too scruffy and greasy looking. Not a fashion plate!!

38. sue miller says:

The new Ridge looks like he just came in off a big drunken binge. He looks so dirty and that hair of his is atrocious! Tell him to take a bath and clean up. He does not look romantic at all. He looks like he rode the rails for a month and just jumped off the train.at least have him wash and comb his hair please!!! have him at least coma or brush his hair so it’s not hanging in big chunks.

• Reality_Bytes says:

Omg. Just saw 2 repeat shows on TVGN and had to come online to say that Thorston looks horrible. His voice sounds ruined from years of smoking and drinking. He has zero style or class, and in desperate need of a haircut and shave. I don’t mind the actor as he is good, but he does not suit the role that has been created. He looks nothing like a creative, stylish fashion designer. It’s obvious they’re setting things for him to be with Katie as he has zero chemistry with Brook.

Now that I’ve said that I’m changing the channel a third episode came on and I don’t want to pulled back into the BnB drivel. I walked away as well, when it became the Hope and Liam show. The majority of people are over the age of 25 that watch these shows, so why make the entire story arc, and sub arcs about the young cast. SMH.

Staying away from all soaps these days. YnR included. So disappointed in that train wreck of a show.

39. I like the Bold and the Beautiful…but I really get sick of see Brooke cry every single episode. She is a great actress, but, she needs a better story line. Now that Ridge is back, maybe she will get one.

40. Glenda says:

I thinkThorsten(the new Ridge) is a wonderful replacement. He is gorgeous and I love his voice. I think he is perfect for this part and he’s a very good actor. You go Thorsten!

• Linda Broderick says:

I agree! I love the new Ridge and find him very sexy. He has great chemistry with Katie and hope B&B keeps them together. I just don’t see that much chemistry with Brooke.

41. Ann says:

Maybe Ronn Moss was not the best actor but if you look at most soap opera characters they’re not that good anyway!! This Ridge is stiff, walk like he has an instrument in his back or stick in his but. So I agree they could have found another character more fitting the role or just kill him off as far as I’m concerned! Take Bill with the new Ridge! Wyatt acts a little spastic, not a little alot!! I enjoyed Allie’s going off him even if she has some mental issues, I loved it (we)!! Only Allie who has mental issues can tell Wyatt like nobody else can even though the others act like they can’t see the real Wyatt / Quinn . B&B while they’re making Kati a saint she did the same thing to Bridgett with Nick, her niece’s husband, and got pregnant just from going for a sail to help her new transplant heart. She’s no better than her sister Brook before brook went with Bill, and I can’t stand the character Bill. I watched him on Y&R, same type of character!! I donot like Hope/Katie character anymore, roles too weak of characters to me, I have never liked Bill/Wyatt /Quinn characters, too arrogant and cocky. Katie and Hope needs to get a dose of their own medicine!! They’re a chip off the old Brook block. I like Pammie and Charlie let them be the Alice and Tom Horton of Dool. Also put Eric and Donna together again, they were good together!! Leave Steffy/Thomas/Taylor in grand ole Parisss.

42. Cheryl Robinson says:

I did’nt like Kaye’s role in the. Beginninsold now. H seem much more refined & cultured much more a fit than brook. He’s perfect for Katie. Not brook!

43. Lucinda says:

Thornton is dirty looking, mumbles so much I must use closed caps, looks like a heavy drinker and is way too old looking for Katie. BB is the only soap I watch and I have been a fan for decades…why oh why did you cast him? It is gross to see him intimate with beautiful Katie. Please recast!

• Chantall says:

The show is too repitive its the same thing over and over..i never liked brooke and bill together in the first place the person who taught bill to love was actualy katie..he was a heartless monster and the katie came along i hope they get back together

44. search says:

I simply couldn’t go away your website before
    suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the usual info an individual supply to your guests?
    Is gonna be back regularly in order to check up on new posts

45. Una Wicks says:

I haven’t watched B &B for awhile,but when I recently watched it and realised that this was the new Ridge I was totally horrified. He looks and sounds nothing like RonMoss, and is totally unbelievable as Ridge. Also there’s no chemistry between him and Brook and looks and feels completely fake. That was a really bad choice and no one can replace such a long time original actor, they should have just left Ridge in Paris or at lease picked a handsome actor to play ridge not a caveman.

46. Jean Rufft says:

I am so sorry to say this but Thorsten lacks the Ridge Forrester look. Are we to believe he went to Paris and become this greasy, scruffy , poorly dressed, man that looks older then his father. His voice of scratchy heavy smoker. I understand he looked this was on ABC but folks this is CBS. As a designer he has done nothing since be came back from Paris. All he does is whine and prance around like a banny rooster. He is worse than an old wash woman. Ronn MOSS brought class to the part. Now it is just to unbelievable. Good hit Bill , Ridge doubled over like he had the cramps.

47. I think that he will be a great replacement for the old Ridge. He is so good looking and a great actor! I actually believe he will be able to make this character even better. They can do a lot more things with his character using him instead. The other guywas good but he could only play one ttype of character because of his appearance. You know what I mean! He was different looking which made it harder to change his role. For example, he looked too old to be with Katie, plus not her type. He was too nice of a guy, a gentleman, and would never have even tried to be with Katie. This guy is more versatile.