Ratings: Broke Girls Better Than Men, Hostages Stabilizes, Castle Ticks Up, Blacklist Dips

Ratings 2 Broke Girls HostagesCBS’ Monday schedule meddling has paid off, at least in the short-term.

How I Met Your Mother opened the Eye’s night with 8 million total viewers and a 3.1, adding a few eyeballs and a tenth in the demo. 2 Broke Girls then christened its earlier time slot with 7.3 mil and a 2.6, improving 35 and 44 percent on the cancelled We Are Men‘s final episode and up three tenths in the demo from its own previous outing.

A Big Bang repeat kicked off the 9 o’clock hour with 8.5 mil/2.2, up in viewers but down a tenth versus Broke Girls‘ week-ago performance in the time slot, while Mom added viewers (7.3 mil) but dipped a tenth (to 2.0).

Hostages stopped its hemorrhaging, holding steady with 5.2 million viewers and a 1.2 rating (though still a distant third at 10 pm).

Elsewhere….

ABC | Dancing With the Stars (12.8 mil/2.1) ticked up a tenth, while Castle (11.1 mil/2.2) rose 6 percent and three tenths. ABC notes that Castle was up 10 percent from its year-ago telecast and is also up 10 percent season-to-date.

RELATED | Read Our Recaps for Dancing With the Stars and Castle

FOX | Bones (7.3 mil/2.0) and Sleepy Hollow (7.5 mil/2.7) each slipped one tenth, per finals.

RELATED | Sleepy Hollow Recap: Lonely Island

NBC | Per finals, The Voice (13.8 mil/4.5) and The Blacklist (11 mil/3.0) each shed a few viewers and dipped a tenth.

RELATED | The Voice Recap: Duet Till You’re Satisfied

THE CW | Both Hart of Dixie (1.1 mil/0.4) and Beauty and the Beast (900K/0.3) gained a couple viewers while flat in the demo.

1. Christina says:

Go Castle! First Monday I haven’t felt the need to watch The Blacklist. I’m sure I’ll get around to it eventually, but it’s just not a must-see yet.

• eridapo says:

Final reports show the following:

HIMYM, 2 Broke Girls, Sleepy Hollow and Mom up a tenth
      The Blacklist down two tenths (and to 10.93 Million Viewers)

• Christina says:

Which means Castle just outdid The Blacklist in total viewers. While I like both, that still brings a smile to my face.

2. ggny says:

Still surprised to see 2 Broke Girls down so much from last year

• Patrick says:

The premise is great, but there is no development for the girls. They need love interests. Not short term partners, but long term love interests. Something for the audience to pull for long term, which will cause viewers to come back weekly.

It is the same each week. The cupcake business thing doesn’t hook viewers.

• Choco says:

I loved season 1, but around the latter half of season 2 it just got boring. I love the two leads, but between boring episodes and the stupid jokes I’m about to drop it.

• Liz says:

I like their short term love interests. I think it’s realistic that they’d be focusing on their business before boys. Especially for Caroline – her life us a mess, I think she’d want to get that in order before searching for something long term relationship wise. And I like that the majority of the show is about their friendship and not guys

• Patrick says:

I’d agree with this if the cupcake business were more compelling. I support the idea she wants to get her business life in order before she focuses on her personal life. But the cupcake thing is just stupid.

I also want short term love interests. When I say long term, I mean end game type love interests. AKA the partners they end up with in the series finale. They could have other boyfriends and love interests, but I want to see them working toward something.

• Diva says:

I thought they were each other’s love interest. At least that’s what it seems to me.

• John 1138 says:

As a series of edgy stand up comedy routines it has it’s place. It’s neither Bones nor As the World Turns and that’s a good thing, IMHO. Heck I probably cringe less at Kat’s lines than I do at the Bones disgust corpse of the week (I simply will never understand how that gruesome display has an 8 o’clock timeslot…)

3. Bob Smith says:

Hostages needs to be released. Bring back Hawaii Five O to Mondays at 10!

• ragincajun says:

No, H50 is doing really well on Friday and has helped CBS stabilize that night. What the net really needs to do is move The Good Wife to Monday so it won’t have to deal with the sports overruns and face such quality cable competition as Walking Dead, Homeland, and Boardwalk Empires.

4. Apples says:

Not surprised to see Castle climb in the wake of the DC arc ending and the show going back to it’s classic recipe.

The Voice is monstrous. I wonder if The Blacklist and Castle wouldn’t be closer in the demo (like they are in total numbers) without that lead in.

• eridapo says:

You said it.. The demo matches the premiere and is 3/10 higher than last week’s final of 1.9, but viewers after going down two weeks in a row showed a gain of over a half a million.

• tam says:

Actually both of Castle DC heavy eps had the same ratings of 2.2. So that doesn’t really say much abt how DC affected the ratings. However I’m also glad Castle is back to it’s classic recipe :)
      Oh and Matt, Castle went up 3 tenths from last week. (1.9 last week to 2.2 this week.)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Noted!

• Apples says:

I thought there was a slight downtick for ‘Dreamworld’ (6×02)? There was definitely a downtick to 1.9 last week for an episode I’d still consider part of the DC arc (it did not feature Castle and Beckett working together at all).

We all have our own impressions, of course, but I think there is something to be said for people coming back to the show now back to recipe the audience all fell in love with.

• eridapo says:

The demo for Dreamworld was the same as the premiere, but it was down in total viewers by 500K viewers (11.46 Million for premiere to 10.88 for Dreamworld). “Need to Know” rated 1.9 demo and 10.51 viewers, Pending finals the episode last night recovered 3/10 in the demo and 500K viewers.

• Apples says:

Thanks for clarifying. I know part of the downtick last week was due to football in Atlanta.

Anyway, glad to see the show back on track and ratings still improving season-upon-season. Generally it is good hands with Marlowe and co

• Just one thing says:

I think it’s entirely possible that The Blacklist would be closer to Castle in the demo without The Voice. But that doesn’t take away from its quality, either. I only saw the pilot, but I’m assuming it’s good with how much hype it’s gotten.
      And I still argue that Nielsen ratings do not support the online fan theory that viewers were turned off of the DC storyline in droves. 2.2/2.2/1.9/2.2 for the first four episodes (not counting L+3 or L+7 data) and overall ratings hovering between 10-11.5 million viewers…
      I think, more than anything, it’s proven that Castle has a solid, loyal audience base who doesn’t need advertisements to know when and where to find it. Which is great, considering ABC barely advertises for the show.
      Now, would the ratings have dropped had the DC arc been longer? Probably.

• Christina says:

Great breakdown and explanation!
        Definitely think ratings would have dropped had the DC arc continued, but it was never going to, which is why I appreciated it. Castle fans are the best, so happy the ratings are steady.

• Maria says:

I think you hit the nail on the head…Castle has a very loyal fanbase and we have standing plans with ABC on Monday nights! Marlowe and company are showing that you CAN put the two leads of a show together, make it believable and grown-up, and make it work. Go Castle!!

• Apples says:

I think the numbers could be spun either way. There was a steady downtick in viewership overall, reversed now the DC arc is over.

I’m not sure about The Blacklist doing that great without The Voice in the demo. Both Revolution and Smash have suffered in the past away from that lead-in. I’ve seen one ep of TB, and apart from Spader doing his thing, I found it had little to recommend it. The female lead in particular was terrible.

Interesting that Castle has already overhauled it in total viewership, and that it was adjusted down in the final ratings.

• Just one thing says:

I’m pretty shocked that Castle overtook The Blacklist in the final ratings as well. I figured it would happen, just later in the season. The demo is the ultimate selling point, though, so if The Blacklist drops percentage points on a night when it ISN’T pre-empted, that’ll be a better sign of what the future will hold.
          One could argue that the show dipped from Episode 2 to 3 because the season premiere’s cliffhanger had been resolved. Considering all of Episode 3’s commercials featured everyone back at the NYPD, I don’t know if you can really blame the dip solely on the DC storyline. It also didn’t air in Atlanta that week.
          I’m intrigued to see how the next few weeks will go ratings-wise. And how long is Hostages going to hang on over at CBS?

• Apples says:

I believe in the demo The Blacklist is trending exactly as Revolution did. Let’s see where it stabilises before any further judgment is made.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the impact of the DC arc. Like I said, the numbers can be spun both ways. I definitely don’t blame the dip solely on that (the football in Atlanta had an effect).

Hostages is a trainwreck. I’m actually disappointed in all the new drama that has premiered this year. I’ve only added Agents of SHIELD to my viewing and that hasn’t been that great in itself.

• eridapo says:

With Finals… Yesterday’s episode was up 3 tenths over last week in demo and 600K viewers,

Also Coming soon the ABC press announcement trumpeting Castle’s first Total Viewer win over The Blacklist (11.11 versus 10.93)

5. Sarah says:

Bones :( The prelims are exactly the same as last week. Ugh. Hopefully it gets adjusted up.

• eridapo says:

I don’t think they are going up since the show tick down at that half hour to a 1.9. I think 2BG affected Bones this time around.

• L says:

Bones also had to contend with BaseBall at 8pm as well as 2 Broke Girls new timeslot last night… as well as well as usual NFL, The Voice, DWTS, HIMYM.. ..No offense @sarah BONES is a 9yr old show consistently getting 2s and 7m approx views, it is steady and doing better than a lot of other scripted shows at Fox and on other networks..what do you want from it? its never going to get the numbers you want week after week, isn’t being fairly consistent enough, esp for a senior show? :)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Seriously; BONES is in no trouble at all. And creatively it’s still strong. (The wedding episode gonna come in like a wrecking ball!)

• gingerific says:

MATT – what’s going on with the possible Friday transition for Bones??

• Sarah says:

@Matt

LOL :) But me being me, I’m trying not to get my hope up (ratings-wise). That way I won’t be disappointed if they’re not higher than normal.

• Sarah says:

@L

Oh I’m not expected it to get big numbers like it used to, especially with its timeslot. I just wasn’t expecting it to go down, especially after last week’s episode. That’s all.

• Sarah says:

@eridapo

Yeah, I saw that. Oh well. At least it’s at 2.0. :)

6. Matt says:

The Blacklist probably does get a slight bump from The Voice, but I still believe that it would do well on its own. I also may be in the minority, but I actually miss the DC storyline on Castle. Don’t get me wrong, I love the chemistry between Castle, Beckett, Ryan, Espo, etc., but I really thought that Stana worked well with Lisa Edlestein’s character.

• Apples says:

With all due respect, I couldn’t wait for the DC arc to end. Edelstein’s McCord was just a re-tread of the same old Fed agent characters we’d seen on the show over and over again (Mark Fallon etc).

And if I wanted to watch a procedural set at a federal agency going after terrorists and other high-priority criminals, I’d switch channels and watch The Blacklist. Which would do well on it’s own, agreed but not as well as it does with it’s lead-in.

The return to romcom-dramedy is good for Castle.

• Lauren says:

Agree re: The Blacklist probably only getting a slight bump from The Voice. Castle is my favorite show and I make a point to watch it every week (I do not watch The Blacklist), but I admit that Castle plays more to women than it does men, meaning that it necessarily gets hurt in the demo because its max audience is inherently smaller to begin with. It also plays very well to audiences outside the demo (high-schoolers, retirees), which also hurts it in the ratings. This explains why it has a solid-but-not-outstanding demo rating, but keeps the total-viewer numbers pretty high. [NB: This comment is not meant to knock any viewer demographic; just making observations/suppositions about viewership characteristics!]

• Katherine215 says:

Why is the max audience inherently smaller if it’s skewed toward women? There are more women than men in this country, but it’s a less than 2% difference. Also, I love Castle, but I don’t really think it plays well to high schoolers.

• c-mo says:

Most of the people I know who watch Castle are couples, yes, the wives got their husbands into the show but the husbands still come back week after week. Also, I have a good friend who is a high school freshman this year and he’s got his entire group of friends watching the show…he even bragged that he got to watch all of the old seasons because I loaned him my DVDs, and they’re all jealous!. :)

• Just one thing says:

The awesome thing about Castle that I’ve seen on social media, and something I wish ABC could somehow harness, is the show’s multi-generational audience.
            Even if the show skews female and “old,” according to Nielsen data, there’s got to be enough internal market research to support the other quadrants, too. Because they’re all over Twitter and Facebook, spreadin’ the word.

• Rich Abey says:

Hey..we young viewers & fans are right here! I’m a 20 yr old student at NYU from Srilanka & I have the pleasure of watch Castle every Monday with my college friends (11-12 of us in the group..mostly local New Yorkers, 1 frm LA & another frm Philly) who’s ages range from 19-24. So its not just couples!

• Rich Abey says:

Despite being a uber ‘Castle’ fan (meaning I’ll watch anything that Andrew Marlowe throws at us unless its Rick choosing video games over a horny beckett or some rich frat boy making passes at Kate!) I won’t miss the DC arc. But I get your point, which most Castle fans seem to avoid though. The DC arc played a big big role. For one it made Caskett stronger as a couple, bringing in a wonderful openness between them & possibly making them love each other more. Plus it solidified the fact that Kate has not fundamentally changed who she is from S1 to S6. She is still the same ass kicking, justice pursuing, hard working, strong headed, intelligent & determined cop & woman!
      And Mcord is different from any previous Federal Agent we’ve come across. None of them had to train Kate and make her skills even sharper! They just dropped by to steal investigations from the NYPD (except for Agent Shaw).

• Brian says:

With all due respect, the Blacklist predictably gets more than a slight uptick from the Voice. Every show that has aired after the Voice has dropped more than slightly when left on their own. We will see if I am wrong when Blacklist has to go it alone.

7. angelstorm says:

I LOVE The Blacklist ! It’s hands down my favorite show of the new season.

8. Sara says:

Ouch CW!! Sad because HoD was great last night. I’m still on the fence with Joel and Zoe, I don’t see any chemistry between them. But more of Carter please. I really missed Captain Awesome.

9. wrstlgirl says:

While Hostages isn’t great it isn’t terrible either. If it stays true to the 15 episode arc it’s worth watching. There’s a lot of back story to these “kidnappers” that’s just starting to come out and it’s interesting.

10. Valerie Tower says:

I like hostages. Not really a fan of Blacklist. Spader irks me.

• wrstlgirl says:

I like The Blacklist but fear it’s going to become repetitive if we’re just gonna catch a bad guy each week. What I’m finding most interesting is the husband. Is he gonna show up on that blacklist at some point ???

11. danielle h says:

What do these numbers mean for beauty and the beast? Didnt like the season premiere
    / amnesia storyline and wondering if I should go ahead and jump ship if its just gonna get pulled this season.

• Kristen says:

Anything under a million viewers is NEVER good for CW. I know demo is the big focus, but I’d bet BATB is near cancellation.

12. Katie says:

Way to go Castle, glad to see the recent downward trend in viewers being reversed now that Edelstein and the DC arc have gone.

13. Rich Abey says:

Wow ‘Castle’…knocking the ratings out the park! Definitely ‘Number One Fan’ is the stand out episode of this season so far. Yes Blacklist is an awesome show, but too bad it airs the same time as Castle cause nothing can replace Castle! There is always live streaming you know. Having been a uber ‘Castle’ fan for more than 4 years, it just feels awesome to see the show still going at its best and even improving on its ratings from last year. Go Caslte! Shipping Caskett forever! :)

14. EJ says:

They should kill off Hostages, move The Good Wife to Monday nights and put the second season of Unforgettable on Sundays. There are 5 episodes shot which haven’t been shown yet. CBS should also air the ones that Time Warner customers didn’t get to see during the blackout.

• Julia says:

I agree that The Good Wife is too good to be affected by overruns every week and lose viewers, but it just wouldn’t fit into the rest of the Monday night lineup.

15. Mery says:

Love Castle this season is amazing, hope they keep in the top, best cast, crew and writers ever

16. CA says:

It’s a shame about Sleepy Hollow. I know that lots of folks are calling this show out to be a break out hit (DVR +7 numbers means nothing!) but it’s actually tanking pretty hard. It has lost almost a full point in the demo from it’s premiere, is now well below a 3 and lost over 3 million in viewers. The only positive is that it retains and meagerly gains in both viewers and demo from Bones. I am wondering if Fox is rethinking it’s decision to give it a season 2 pick up, even at 13 episodes.

• Ju says:

No, I don’t think they’re regretting it at all. Its still getting very solid numbers (especially for Fox) and it improves in the demo a lot from Bones. Plus that all important demo number is much higher than many other shows. It has slipped but I think thats to be expected from any new show. Being only 13 episodes helps it even more. There doesnt seem to be much harm or risk in giving it a second season at all.

17. Goodbye Universe Guy says:

Good to see HIMYM numbers maintaining good, consistent level near 7-8m viewers and low 3.x in demo week-in-week out. The show is certainly not the same show we’ve seen in the past – the new format of ‘the wedding weekend’ does give the show a bit of a ‘closed-in’ feel. That said, still nice to have the show around this one final season and maintaining the ratings.
    What is remarkable (perhaps says a lot about the show itself and the loyal fan base) about HIMYM in S9 is that the dynamics of the show are really different than in years past, and yet, the ratings are holding steady. Thus far this season [five episodes in], no scene with Marshall-and-Lily, no scene with Ted-and-Robin, only one scene with Ted-and-mother. That puts a lot of weight on the Barney-Robin dynamic, with only Ted and Lily [no Marshall] as supporting-cast during this ‘wedding weekend’ season. That’s really remarkable, a major change. But is it sustainable?
    Of course, somewhere along the line, we will see more of ‘the mother’ (C. Milioti), we will see Marshall’s arrival at Farhampton (his feature film schedule permitting), and there will be a Ted/Robin moment or two as they wrap things up. Robin still doesn’t know about the locket, doesn’t know about Ted moving to Chicago, and doesn’t know the details of Ted and Victoria’s breakup. Once those future S9 episodes hit the airwaves (beginning perhaps around the holidays and leading to the end in May), we may then see a real bump in the HIMYM numbers into the 10m+ viewer range and 3.5+ demo; and with that bump in ratings, that may also help 2Broke, the eventual 9pm M&M and Mom also increase their ratings.
    So, all is not lost for CBS on Monday nights – perhaps it will not be ‘anchor show’ 2Broke, or 9pm M&M, or Intelligence at 10pm that provides the ratings horsepower for CBS Mondays this 2013-14 season. Perhaps, the key to the night will turn out to be HIMYM.

• Boiler says:

Sort of wish somehow HIMYM could continue in some form without perhaps Jason Segal. Will miss Alyson Hannigan

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

I agree, I’ll miss her too. However, from a recent article in mid-Sept issue of Entertainment magazine, when reviewing the future plans of the five cast members, AH was listed as perhaps interested in a television series of her own. She’ll miss the pilot season this coming spring, but perhaps will have something developed for her (maybe w/her own production company shingle?) for the pilot season of 2015 for the 2015-16 season.

BTW, CS has a photo and short article in the Nov. issue of Vanity Fair magazine. As others have noted, she has a full slate of Marvel movies on tap, as well as a feature film comedy [Delivery Man w/Vince Vaughn] coming soon, and looks very interested in trying something new on the stage/Broadway, etc. Maybe follow the lead of NPH, who has done similar stage work in between TV and movie roles.

18. Lisa says:

Happy for Castle, still the only show I watch live that is not a sporting event.

19. Tim says:

MOM has so much potential. I really hope that after MIKE & MOLLY returns, folks sample it more.

20. Barb C says:

love Blacklist and Castle. Thank goodness for DVR’s !!!

21. Britta Unfiltered says:

Monday night television always feels like a huge letdown to me after I’ve watched all the week’s best shows on Sunday night. I redboxed This is the End on Monday night. And it was awesome. I recommend it. Very funny stuff.