Exclusive New Girl First Look: Jess Discovers Nick's Secret Box, Major Conflict Erupts

Get More: Exclusive, First Look, Video

Nick hits the mini-jackpot in tonight’s New Girl (9/8c, Fox) when he learns that his late father bequeathed a nice chunk of change to him in his will. But his shopping spree-themed celebration is cut short when Jess stumbles upon his big ol’ box of shame.

RELATED | TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs From HIMYMSuitsNew Girl and Other Shows

As you can see via the following exclusive first look, Nick has been keeping aspects of his financial portfolio (or lack thereof) a secret from Jess…

Comments (29)

• Getting kind of over New Girl… We get it, Nick and Jess are dating. Every plotline on the show doesn’t need to be focused on their relationship.

Comment by Steve – October 15, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same. It’s overkill and has completely taken over the show and I miss the ensemble feel from season one.

Comment by Jennifer – October 15, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They have already said that they would be establishing their relationship in the beginning and it would have more focus at first but less as the seasoned progressed. It’s good storytelling.

Comment by Kate – October 15, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nick and Jess are the only redeeming parts of this season. Unlikeable vindictive Schmidt and Randomly Insane Winston are what’s dragging the show into the toilet for me.

Comment by Bridget – October 15, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Randomly Insane Winston hahaha I feel the same way what has happened to the character lately?! Maybe they’re trying to make him unlikeable so can replace him with Coach?

Comment by jayne – October 15, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s been four episodes from a 24 episode season. calm down.

Comment by Rachel – October 15, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m still fairly new to NG, but isn’t this is supposed to be a cute show? As a fan of all things cute, I love animals and am fairly educated. So, one episode ago and I can’t enjoy it because Winston spends the WHOLE episode on the verge of killing the innocent cat -?!?! Even if he “probably” wasn’t going to harm it, I’m waiting in suspense worried wtf he’s going to do – this is comedy -?! Uh, NO. Now in this “Capt” episode, the plot is for him to have his cat perhaps wind up getting another pregnant??? Would be so funny, except for the glaring, ongoing REALITY that nearly 10,000 animals are killed every day in US shelters -!!!! This INCLUDES kittens AND puppies, not to mention the unwanted older ones. Anyone can google this. REALLY people, enough already. This was supposed to be a cute, feel-good show – oh well – I’m DONE with it.

Comment by Guest – October 16, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love NIck Miller! One of the best characters on tv today.

Comment by Amanda – October 15, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss the Nick Miller from early 1st season. He wasn’t incompetent and immature. He was simply brokenhearted and down on himself. That depression made him not want to achieve anything. Then the writers decided Nick needed to be a buffoon, and Winston needed to be a psychopath, and CeCe needed to have a baby, and so on.
    I have no problems with the relationship between Nick and Jess. I simply believe they have pushed all the negative characteristics of each character too far to the point where they are completely unbelievable.

Comment by Badpenny – October 15, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that’s a problem on a lot of shows these days. It seems like writers are rarely committed to developing true characters that have well-defined personalities. Instead they just kind of track the course of the show and the situations that should be unfolding according to general TV formulas, and then adjust the characters and their personalities at their own whim.

It’s part of the reason I can’t get completely into the Mindy Project. It’s a pretty good show, I just can’t really get a grasp on any of their characters (are they supposed to be smart? dumb? now he’s a compulsive eater? wasn’t he a womanizer? etc.).

Comment by Steve – October 15, 2013 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Nick/Jess relationship is tiresome. The “Moonlighting Effect” has taken over already. Bring back Coach! I know he’s due to come in soon, but the sooner the better. Zzzzzz

Comment by ✨Don Draper – October 15, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t disagree more. Absolutely love them.

Comment by Kate – October 15, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely disagree. I love how shows aren’t afraid to step away from the sitcom “norms”. HIMYM, Big Bang, New Girl……They’ve all developed their characters in realistic ways for their ages (put them into relationships, gotten married, etc), and I really appreciate not falling into the “it has to be dumb to be funny” trap.

Comment by RP – October 15, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Post my bloody comment!

Comment by alistaircrane – October 15, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the writers are doing a great Job with them, i dont think they have all the atention, until now shmidt have all the atention with his threesome history and his anger towards nick and Jess, so id you are no liking the 3 season so far dont blame nick and Jess only because they are the big change in the serie.

Comment by May – October 15, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love what the show is doing, and that the writers aren’t afraid to develop the characters into real people, instead of just a delivery system for one-liners. I don’t really care for Schmidt right now, but I think that’s the point. As for Nick and Jess, I don’t really see them being any different than before, it’s just that they’re a couple now. They still have the same arguments as before, and are still getting into the same kind of ridiculous situations. This is one of the few shows that doesn’t turn the characters into idiots just to make them funny. Even “The Big Bang Theory” falls into the trap of the female characters only being funny when they say something stupid….

Comment by RP – October 15, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that the writers are handling the Nick and Jess relationship beautifully. They are still true to who they are. I think that those who say that they are boring or that they are suffering from the moonlighting curse, don’t like the idea of a main couple in general. They are all thirty something’s, they can not have them all living the wild crazy, single life forever. How many friends in that age group do not have at least a few friends in stable long term relationships? I think the show would be pretty stupid if it continued to explore the single life for all at of them at their age. There is variation amongst its characters and I personally love it.

Comment by Steph – October 15, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode looks interesting and i’m intrigued to see how this storyline turns out with them trying to ‘fix’ each other. Its been interesting to see how their relationship has affected the loft and I think that now the others are getting used to it, we’ll see more of the other characters storylines as well. I think now that they’re together, its becoming more and more about the ensmeble, unlike preivously when certain characters were paired up. Next week’s halloween episode for instance seems to be a great ensemble episode as well as the episode when Coach comes back, where there’s going to be a guys night out and girls night out. I’m disappointed though that they didn’t show in this sneak peek, Jon Lovitz’s guest stint with Schmidt as it looks really funny from the promos.

Comment by FL – October 15, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • there actually the only sitcom couple i like to be honest, because there real and sort of awkward which makes it work beautifully. although i do agree that they need to start portaying Nick in a more reasonable manner, he can still be hilarious whilst being more responsible IMO. for me personally its the best sitcom on TV.

Comment by James D – October 15, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This has never been the best show on tv but it was at least watchable. This season is horrendous! Every character is a caricature and the over-the-top, broad humor they’ve been incorporating (especially with regards to Winston) is so cringe-worthy. A sitcom doesn’t work if everyone is zany and neurotic; you need one character at least for the audience to relate to/latch on to. Friends would’ve never been a roaring success if every character was like Phoebe or if Will & Grace were as obnoxious as Jack and Karen. Cece is the only normal one but she’s boring as hell.

Comment by Christian – October 15, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more! This season is just awful! Remove the title of “New Girl” and call it “Nick & Jess” ho-hum

Comment by Dick Whitman – October 15, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Their ‘zaniness’ as you call it is created as they are masking their own real problems. It doesn’t take a genius to realize that. Schmidt is reacting the way he is as he is denying that he and he alone is the reason why his relationships fell through, not because of Nick and Jess. Winston is transferring his own loneliness onto Furguson because he refuses to admit that he feels rejected not only from Daisy, but also by the other roommates. To say that Friends wasn’t broad…well, go back and watch it. Ross and his leather pants? Ross and his teeth whitening? these are broad concepts, but again like New Girl, comes from a real place.

Comment by Bob – October 15, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it funny how most of you that are con Nick and Jess would be like “Oh just get them together already this is getting boring” if they weren’t together.

If you want a perfect show, write it yourself.

Nick and Jess forever <33

Comment by guest – October 15, 2013 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PERFECT SHOW IS PERFECT! I LOVE NEW GIRL SO MUCH

Comment by Kate – October 15, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the relationship of Nick and Jess. Together they are perfect and they make me laugh so much. I love these guys.I love New girl.Keep up the good work

Comment by Steven – October 15, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show to a disturbing degree. :)

Comment by J – October 15, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show and the characters. However, there are a few things I do not like about this season. Schmidt was once a loveable douche and now he is just a (insert other D word here), I think Winston is hilarious but would like to see more direction for him. I do adore Nick and Jess and find them entertaining as heck but I hope they are able to keep up the momentum. I do not want to see them go the way of Ross and Rachael, who I once adored but felt the show destroyed them and I did not care when they finally got together. Keep Nick and Jess a couple, keep them funny and neurotic and sexy. Give Cece some meaning on the show and keep Coach around.

Comment by Madison – October 15, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Feel like the writers lost their way with Nick’s character a bit. It’s a huge stretch for me to reconcile his sheer idiocy in “The Box” with his rational perspective in past episodes, some even in this season (Mr. Don’t Put Your Butt In Your Boss’s Jacooz Because It’s a Felony is okay with tax evasion?). They didn’t forget that this guy is smart enough to have been well on his way to a law degree a few years back, right?

Also, I both hated and loved Jess and Nick, separately and together, sometimes simultaneously, throughout this episode. Though it was nice to see righteous anger out of both instead of just yelling about nonsense for once, the relationship can’t sustain repeated instances of Nick resisting becoming an adult only to later concede that Jess was right in overstepping her boundaries. But maybe that’s the point. For the first time this season, I get what the writers and cast have been alluding to when they say in interviews that they aren’t sure the relationship can actually work right now.

Comment by M.N. – October 16, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post