Exclusive Grey's Anatomy Sneak Peek: Will Alex's Reunion With His Father Turn Deadly?

Get More: Exclusive, First Look, Video

We knew Alex and his dad shared a rocky history on Grey’s Anatomy, but we’re about to learn just how deep their conflict runs.

In this Thursday’s episode (9/8c, ABC,) Alex confesses to new squeeze Jo the real reason he can’t bear to go near his hospitalized father (a perfectly cast James Remar).

VIDEOGrey’s Anatomy Exclusive: Sandra Oh to Shonda Rhimes: Don’t Kill Off Cristina!

“The last time I saw his face I was punching him so hard I could’ve killed him,” he shares. “I’m just afraid I’ll pick up where I left off.”

Also in the following clip, we get the scoop on the origin of Alex’s last name and we see where he gets his ladies-man swagger from.

Loading video...

Comments (21)

• I cannot help myself but I want Izzy back for Alex!

Comment by alex/izzy shipper – October 15, 2013 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d prefer to have Izzie back.

Comment by Alex – October 15, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto!

Comment by N – October 16, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really looking forward to this story. It is something that I’ve wanted to see for a very long time! Seeing Alex’s father and then Alex in a scene like this, I’ve got to agree and say James Remar was perfectly cast for the role. Alex and Jimmy sound similar

Comment by Julie – October 15, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad we finally learn more about Alex’s past and his “relation” with his dad! Love James Remar.
    But agree miss Izzie with him, they had a chemistry and a better dynamic? Don’t see the chemistry with him & jo

Comment by nina – October 15, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree!!! Alex and Izzie were perfect for each other. Miss their relationship!!

Comment by Kira – October 15, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Perfect for each other?Umm…no. Izzie treated Alex like a doormat. She used him and discarded him when she felt like it. I’m glad that Alex finally saw the light and realized he’s a good guy who doesn’t deserve to be treated like that.

Comment by Chris – October 15, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You are right, she was not very nice at the end! But they could not wrap up their storyline nicley, because the writers, at this time, never really know exactly when Kathrine would be present.

I wish Katie would do a cameo to be friends with Alex again. I mean, what is with the frozen eggs from Izzie that Alex fathered?!

Comment by alex/izzy shipper – October 15, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • YES. THIS.

But really though, when Alex told Izzie that she taught him that he was worth it, and that he knew he deserved better than she was treating him,… That is such a moment for Alex. He becomes a man in that sense. No longer a boy searching for what he deserves. That was his graduation. He surpassed Izzie in that moment and it was beautiful.

Comment by Aly – October 15, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • 100% Agree!! That moment was one of my favorites for his character.

Comment by Rachel – October 17, 2013 11:52 AM PDT
  • Alex and Izzie did have great chemistry but I got tired of watching Alex always having to prove that he was worthy of Can-Do-No-Wrong Izzie’s love. In the short time that Jo has been on the show, she has proven that she values Alex for who he is much more than Izzie did in 5 seasons. Jo does nice things for Alex, whereas Izzie allowed Alex to do nice things for her. I am so excited for James Remar and this storyline, I have been waiting a LONG time to see it, I just hope that my expectations aren’t too high.

Comment by Michelle – October 15, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could not agree more with you! It is so wonderful to see someone with Alex that sees his value and views him as an equal instead of a lesser person. I personally always felt that Izzie thought she was better than everyone else & fell in love too easy. I cant wait to see someone care for Alex through his family issues. Bring on more Jolex!!

Comment by Rachel – October 15, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m probably missing something obvious, but I don’t understand the origins of Karev. I heard Alex say that “He took his wife’s last name.” So his birth name was Karev, had three kids named Karev, then married someone and took that woman’s last name? Or am I missing something obviously, which I must admit is a possibility. I’m not all that sure exactly what Alex said, so if anyone could clarify it for me, I would appreciate it!

Comment by Jennie – October 15, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Alex said HE took his mother’s last name so he would have no connection with his father.

Comment by Abigail – October 15, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Okay, that makes much more sense.

Comment by Jennie – October 15, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Anything to get me out of this dress!”

Oh, honey…I’d get you out of that gown in thirty seconds, if I didn’t think your girlfriend would beat me to it! ;)

Comment by Dayanara Ryelle – October 15, 2013 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a Jo fan but whatever it takes to give Alex a decent storyline. Hope it includes Meredith as they both have sucky fathers as a bond.

Comment by smd – October 16, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What did his father say to him before getting off the elevator? Did he know it was his son?

Comment by Sam – October 19, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the last episode of Grey’s Anatomy, Alex’s father showed him a picture of a different family. Is he really Alex’s father or does he have two families?

Comment by Beth – October 25, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • His dad had two families. I am pretty sure that the dad recognized alex after he punched him. What I want to know is will this be the last we see of Alex’s dad? I really hope not!

Comment by Michelle – October 25, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I hope we get some more clarity on Alex’s Dad. It’s making the show very interesting. Shonda Rhimes is awesome. Scandal is getting good too.

Comment by Beth – October 25, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post