Exclusive

Exclusive Grey's Anatomy Sneak Peek: Will Alex's Reunion With His Father Turn Deadly?

We knew Alex and his dad shared a rocky history on Grey’s Anatomy, but we’re about to learn just how deep their conflict runs.

In this Thursday’s episode (9/8c, ABC,) Alex confesses to new squeeze Jo the real reason he can’t bear to go near his hospitalized father (a perfectly cast James Remar).

VIDEOGrey’s Anatomy Exclusive: Sandra Oh to Shonda Rhimes: Don’t Kill Off Cristina!

“The last time I saw his face I was punching him so hard I could’ve killed him,” he shares. “I’m just afraid I’ll pick up where I left off.”

Also in the following clip, we get the scoop on the origin of Alex’s last name and we see where he gets his ladies-man swagger from.

Loading video...

1. alex/izzy shipper says:

I cannot help myself but I want Izzy back for Alex!

2. Julie says:

I’m really looking forward to this story. It is something that I’ve wanted to see for a very long time! Seeing Alex’s father and then Alex in a scene like this, I’ve got to agree and say James Remar was perfectly cast for the role. Alex and Jimmy sound similar

3. nina says:

I’m glad we finally learn more about Alex’s past and his “relation” with his dad! Love James Remar.
    But agree miss Izzie with him, they had a chemistry and a better dynamic? Don’t see the chemistry with him & jo

• Kira says:

I completely agree!!! Alex and Izzie were perfect for each other. Miss their relationship!!

• Chris says:

Perfect for each other?Umm…no. Izzie treated Alex like a doormat. She used him and discarded him when she felt like it. I’m glad that Alex finally saw the light and realized he’s a good guy who doesn’t deserve to be treated like that.

• alex/izzy shipper says:

You are right, she was not very nice at the end! But they could not wrap up their storyline nicley, because the writers, at this time, never really know exactly when Kathrine would be present.

I wish Katie would do a cameo to be friends with Alex again. I mean, what is with the frozen eggs from Izzie that Alex fathered?!

• Aly says:

YES. THIS.

But really though, when Alex told Izzie that she taught him that he was worth it, and that he knew he deserved better than she was treating him,… That is such a moment for Alex. He becomes a man in that sense. No longer a boy searching for what he deserves. That was his graduation. He surpassed Izzie in that moment and it was beautiful.

4. Michelle says:

Alex and Izzie did have great chemistry but I got tired of watching Alex always having to prove that he was worthy of Can-Do-No-Wrong Izzie’s love. In the short time that Jo has been on the show, she has proven that she values Alex for who he is much more than Izzie did in 5 seasons. Jo does nice things for Alex, whereas Izzie allowed Alex to do nice things for her. I am so excited for James Remar and this storyline, I have been waiting a LONG time to see it, I just hope that my expectations aren’t too high.

• Rachel says:

I could not agree more with you! It is so wonderful to see someone with Alex that sees his value and views him as an equal instead of a lesser person. I personally always felt that Izzie thought she was better than everyone else & fell in love too easy. I cant wait to see someone care for Alex through his family issues. Bring on more Jolex!!

• Jennie says:

I’m probably missing something obvious, but I don’t understand the origins of Karev. I heard Alex say that “He took his wife’s last name.” So his birth name was Karev, had three kids named Karev, then married someone and took that woman’s last name? Or am I missing something obviously, which I must admit is a possibility. I’m not all that sure exactly what Alex said, so if anyone could clarify it for me, I would appreciate it!

5. “Anything to get me out of this dress!”

Oh, honey…I’d get you out of that gown in thirty seconds, if I didn’t think your girlfriend would beat me to it! ;)

6. smd says:

Not a Jo fan but whatever it takes to give Alex a decent storyline. Hope it includes Meredith as they both have sucky fathers as a bond.

7. Sam says:

What did his father say to him before getting off the elevator? Did he know it was his son?

• Beth says:

In the last episode of Grey’s Anatomy, Alex’s father showed him a picture of a different family. Is he really Alex’s father or does he have two families?

• Michelle says:

His dad had two families. I am pretty sure that the dad recognized alex after he punched him. What I want to know is will this be the last we see of Alex’s dad? I really hope not!

• Beth says:

I hope we get some more clarity on Alex’s Dad. It’s making the show very interesting. Shonda Rhimes is awesome. Scandal is getting good too.