Ratings: Walking Dead Returns With a Record-Smashing 16.1 Million Viewers

Get More: Ratings

Walking Dead RatingsThe Walking Dead‘s Season 4 premiere had a record-high body count.

Sunday’s kickoff attracted a mind-blowing 16.1 million viewers — 10.4 million of which fell in the 18-49 demo, AMC confirmed Monday.

That easily eclipses the show’s previous high of 12.4 million viewers (8.1 in 18-49) for last spring’s Season 3 finale.

POLL | What Grade Do You Give The Walking Dead‘s Season 4 Premiere?

The show’s boffo debut — which outranked everything on broadcast and cable last night (save for NBC’s Sunday Night Football, which had a higher total viewer tally) — lifted The Talking Dead to its best numbers as well. The Chris Hardwick-hosted hour drew 5.1 million viewers, including 3.3 million 18-49ers.

PHOTO | Walking Dead Exclusive First Look: Check Out Michael Cudlitz as Sgt. Abraham Ford

“Sincere thanks to the fans, who have welcomed The Walking Dead back for its fourth season with the highest-rated episode in the show’s history,” said AMC President Charlie Collier in a statement. “We could not be more proud of this show and everyone on both sides of the camera who work so hard to give life to this story of character, leadership and survival.”

Comments (39)

• SLAY!

Comment by Jason Lawson (@Snowballx) – October 14, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I for sure thought I read that number wrong. Wow. That’s great!

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch (@mkroggasch) – October 14, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good God!!! That’s awesome!!! Great premiere, so glad more people are watching THE WALKING DEAD!!!!!!

Comment by Drew – October 14, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GO THE WALKING DEAD!

Comment by Niejan – October 14, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most excellent! Curious about the other cable shows too.

Comment by Wrstlgirl – October 14, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pooky!

Comment by Chelsea Johnston – October 14, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 16.1 for cable? Those are practically NCIS numbers! If TWD was on network tv, it would be second only to football.

Comment by Scott – October 14, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If TWD was on network, it would be…. er…. Revolution.

Comment by Ross Cooper – October 15, 2013 03:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cue every network scrambling to find a zombie centered show, but all in all this is fantastic to hear!

Comment by j – October 14, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am surprised that there weren’t tons of Network rip off zombie shows in the new fall lineup this year. I am sure you are right in that they are ALL trying their best to find/create a Zombie show – which will NEVER compare.

Comment by Kristoffer – October 14, 2013 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • good lord that’s pretty impressive i wonder if this is show is popular :)

Comment by James D – October 14, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!! Great numbers. I’ve been waiting all day to get these numbers

Comment by azu – October 14, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome. It was a great episode and deserves the eyeballs it got. Take that stodgy, boring broadcast networks.

Comment by Liz985 – October 14, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And here I thought they might have reached their limit. Wow. I’m as impressed by the numbers as I was by the episode itself. Cannot wait to watch the season play out!

Comment by Abby – October 14, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Especially funny after all those people who swore to never watch the show again after they killed off Andrea :-)

Comment by Wrstlgirl – October 14, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All two of them?

Comment by Ross Cooper – October 15, 2013 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Your making a joke right? These boards were slammed with tons of fans whining and crying about “how dare they kill off Andrea”. About how they’ve strayed so far from the comics they’ve ruined the show killing off such an important character. The show will fail now, I’m not watching anymore, blah, blah, blah. It was the same with SOA fans when they killed of Opie. He apparently was the only reason to watch the show and now that he was gone they were “done”, DONE I tell you. It’s laughable because you know they are full of it. For me I did a happy dance when Andrea got bit. Worst character on the show.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 15, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve heard people say the same with Dale, Shane, T-Dog and yes, even with Lori. People get pissed when their favorites die, but ultimately if the show is good, they always come back. I love Daryl and don’t want him to die, but that will be the true test. I’ve heard the word riot being thrown around if he dies.

Comment by Francesca Hall (@FrankiezStuff) – October 15, 2013 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly my point. As far as Daryl dying, I have all the faith in the world in these writers. I’m not worried in the least and to even think it could happen anytime soon is stupid.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 15, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Remember: Carol liked him first.

Seriously though, they have earned it: Congratulations The Walking Dead!

Comment by Dr. Jenner – October 14, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOLY OWNAGE. Lol, network has no excuse for it’s crappy declining numbers across the board any more. This just goes to show if you make a quality drama with the right elements people will flock to it.

Comment by Hugh – October 14, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sadly they can’t since they’re hamstrung by all the PTC-enforced legislation which limits their ability to innovate.

Comment by Ross Cooper – October 15, 2013 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s just unbelievable?!?!

Comment by Jared – October 14, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s craaaaaaazy! I had to do a triple take. I’m elated!

Comment by rachelle – October 14, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy crap! That is massive. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Comment by greysfan – October 14, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! That viewer total is approaching NCIS numbers, just substituting all the retirees and boomers with young, spendy people. Sadly, I bet the cast of TWD is paid a fraction of the NCIS group.

Comment by B – October 14, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Running marathons of the entire series between seasons is a winning move. I watched the first two seasons like that and joined the viewer ranks for the 3rd season. Word of mouth works but only if people get a chance to watch it all from the beginning. Yeah, there are solutions to watch entire series (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) but it’s a bit more involved than setting your DVR for all episodes in a marathon and catching up at your pace before a new season starts.

That and the promos during the final run of Breaking Bad means the numbers we see for last night.

AWESOME!

Comment by ESLKid75 – October 14, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Several people that I work with decided to start watching the marathon repeats and were instantly hooked. Even though they didn’t catch all the past episodes they watched the season premiere and loved it.

Comment by Kristoffer – October 14, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMC, please stop giving Chris Hardwick jobs. Please. My big toe is worlds more entertaining than this guy.

Comment by Faster – October 14, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Chris hardwick. He does a good job with the talking dead. Just sayin.

Comment by Lisa Ray – October 14, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hah. I’m with you on that. I strongly dislike this trend of the after show. It makes shows look self-important, and I can’t stand self-importance. It’s such a turn off. And you are right about fake nerd Chris Hardwick. No talent there. His voice makes me want to punch someone in the face.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 14, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Incredible, and well deserved. Nets take note: produce SOMETHING that’s different AND entertains. If you build it, they will come.

Comment by mandy – October 14, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so proud to be one of the 16.1 million watching dead

Comment by Pat Combs – October 14, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the episode, but poor Phinneas!! ;-)
    Also, I love Talking Dead-Chris is a big geek for the show, and I love that about him. Plus, he gets the greatest guests!!

Comment by Shannon – October 14, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT!!!!!

Comment by Teeny Bikini – October 14, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yet again netflix is pretty much solely responsible for this happening, and I’m sure they know it and are figuring out a way to make more and more money. good job walking dead, good job netflix.

Comment by Higb – October 15, 2013 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • See what happens when you keep the PTC out of programming… what is it their husbands are always saying about letting the free market speak. I feel sorry for Network TV.

Comment by Ross Cooper – October 15, 2013 03:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great job Walking Dead keep it up.

Comment by betty – October 15, 2013 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m curious how many watched at 9 o’clock and how many watched at 11? And will these numbers shift after boring baseball is finished and Family Guy has new shows?

Comment by Bad Samaritan – October 15, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post