The Voice Recap: Duet Till You're Satisfied

The Voice - Season 5 Tessanne Chin Donna AllenThis just in…a deficit of Blind Audition screen time is not an automatic death sentence in the Battle Rounds on Season 5 of The Voice. The term “mismatch made in heaven” may have been coined specifically for the pairing of Blake Shelton and a saucy gay contestant. And everything’s better with a little Cher. (Yeah, I know, that last part’s not exactly breaking news.)

RELATED | The Voice: Ranking the Season 5 Top 20 Heading Into the Battle Rounds!

Perhaps most exciting of all, though, was the fact that of the nine artists tonight who either won their Battles (or snagged coveted Steals), it’s not hard to imagine more that half of them still being in the mix long enough for viewers to be measuring their calendars with the term “shopping days till Christmas.” In other words, we may be shaping up for season with no clear and present Chosen One — or at least a season with a deep enough bench to keep the producers’ fave from sneaking up the chimney with somebody else’s prizes.

RELATED | TVLine’s Pick for Performer of the Week

Not quite as exciting? NBC’s reality singing competition once again proving that while it has no upper age limit during the Blinds, that rule doesn’t exactly apply once the coaches’ chairs are turned and it becomes clear whether or not a vocalist falls outside the upper end of the advertiser-desired 18-49 demo (or whether somebody’s got a superfamous sibling in the audience).

But let me not turn this into a post about ageism in the music industry — and instead rank each individual Battle from least- to most-promising winner:

6. Team Adam: Grey defeats Nic Hawk (with Nic stolen by Blake) on Jessie J’s “Domino” | Considering Adam said he was looking for “spirit and energy,” I was pretty certain he’d choose Nic, who was undoubtedly the spicy seared tuna of the entree (compared to Grey’s parsnip mash). Yeah, sure, This! Is! The! Voice!, but while Grey proved her superior power and control, she didn’t manage to showcase a distinctive tone or any real connection to her lyrics. She’s the formal living room couch everybody’s afraid to sit on; Nic, with his energetic strut and rapid-fire delivery, is infinitely more appealing, even if his voice got a little narrow in places. Ah well, at least Adam’s double mistake — No. 1 was his failure to pair Grey vs Tessanne and Nic vs Donna — allowed Blake to get the funniest line of the night. When Carson asked why the country coach stole Nic — and honestly, their partnership should make for damn fun TV — Blake replied, “Why is Adam such an idiot? Why don’t you ask me that?”

5. Team Blake: Shelbie Z defeats Justin Chain on Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson’s “Don’t You Wanna Stay” | In another example of a Woman of a Certain Age not getting her due, none of the coaches declared Blake’s advisor Cher the winner of this Battle — despite the fact that the Oscar winner’s insightful critiques and general good humor will be the only part of this Battle we’ll remember in six months’ time. OK, maybe that’s a litte harsh. Shelbie (despite going badly awry on one of her big ad-libs) and Justin definitely have skills — but their duet was more of a rental situation rather than either one of them experiencing true ownership of the song in question.

4. Team Xtina: Jacquie Lee defeats Briana Cuoco (with Blake stealing Briana, only after battling it out with Cee Lo…neither of whom came to Donna’s rescue…what? why? HUH?) on The Animals’ “House of the Rising Sun” | I understood Ed Sheeran’s note that — given the ubiquity of “HOTRS” — it was important for Jacquie and Briana to take some melodic risks, but the Animals’ classic ballad is more than the sum of its glory notes, and I’m not sure either of these chicas really captured the full sense of loss and regret woven into the lyrics (which made Carson’s excessive hype over the performance a tad perplexing). That said, despite some initial nervousness, Jacquie definitely dominated the proceedings just by nature of her brute vocal strength. Briana, meanwhile, despite showing improvement off her iffy audition, didn’t stick every landing on the big notes and revealed a tendency for hinky pronunciations. No, girl, “mother” isn’t pronounced “Moy-tha” — unless you’re in a Bugs Bunny cartoon, maybe.

3. Team Xtina: Amber Nicole defeats Timyra-Joi on Beyoncé’s “Liiiiiiiiiiiiisten!” | There’s no other way to say it: These girls were the Nic Cage and John Travolta of the Season 5 blinds, because they literally sang their faces off. And before you accuse ‘em of showboating vocalization in the third degree, let’s keep in mind that we’re talking about a Dreamgirls soundtrack ballad that doubles as the “A-Ha! Moment” of the whole movie, and to do it justice, a couple of lesser organs — tonsils, gall bladders, perhaps spleens — should be ruptured or at least rearranged by the time the final glory note is executed. That ridiculous sentence out of the way, I will add that I was pleased with Xtina’s final verdict, seeing how Timyra didn’t quite process her mentors’ notes and began the number in full quaver mode. Amber, on the other hand, delivered a vocal that was just a little cleaner, a little more nuanced and contained just a few more dynamics than her younger rival — and was appropriately rewarded (even though her Blind Audition was reduced to clip-montage mode).

2. Team Adam: Tessanne Chin defeats Donna Allen (because Adam figured this was the only way to toss his 54-year-old diva without a national outcry) on Emeli Sande’s “Next to Me” | Hands down the night’s most infuriating moment was Adam critiquing this sensational upgrade of a snoooooozy song by telling Tessanne and Donna that “you both could win” Season 5. UMMMM…DUDE…THEN WHY DID YOU FORCE THEM TO GO UP AGAINST EACH OTHER THIS EARLY IN THE COMPETITION? (Sorry…I’ve been suppressing that rage all night…it had to get out somehow, somewhere.) Anyway, it’s a testament to both women that my notes for the entire performance amount to the following: “Tessane’s high note! [diagram of an arrow squiggling upward] Donna’s holleration…OMFG!” Translated into actual critique, I’d agree with Cee Lo that Tessanne managed to conjure up more control and poise with her rendition, but also agree with Blake that Donna was the one who drew me into the ditty with her blunt-force rasp and soul. Enraged (and unsurprised) as I am by Xtina, Cee Lo and Blake failing to bring justice to Season 5 and save Donna, though, I’ll admit the combatants’ parting hug — and Tessanne’s tearful declaration that “[Donna] made me a better singer — was like a Listerine Breath Strip to wash away some of my percolating bitterness. Who knows: Maybe once Tessanne gets the Amanda Brown treatment and goes home in late November, she and Donna can form a power duo and take the Billboard charts by storm?

1. Team Cee Lo: Caroline Pennell defeats Anthony Paul (with Anthony stolen by Xtina) on Justin Bieber’s “As Long as You Love Me” | A couple weeks ago, my Reality Check cohost Melinda Doolittle chastized me for underrating Caroline following her Blind Audition, and all I can say now is, “You were right, girlfriend!” Seriously, the rise and fall of Caroline’s voice, the unexpected and yet completely organic choices she made with the melody, the way she took possession of Baby Bieber’s hit while still maintaining a solid groove — all of it was fantastic. And while Caroline’s audacity made her the clear winner, I couldn’t be mad at Xtina for stealing Anthony, not when every one of his runs was completely on point, and not when he took his notes from Cee Lo and Miguel and really reined in the oversinging for his live performance. I still don’t understand how the mentors stepping away from the contestants during rehearsal constituted a “vision board,” but whatever. There was apparently a method to Cee Lo’s madness, so I’ll just zip my trap and call it a night!

And with that, I turn things over to you. What did you think of the first set of Season 5 Battle Rounds? Did Donna or anyone else get mistreated? Were you shocked that Briana got saved? Who gave the best overall vocal of the night? Sound off below!

1. Kaba says:

Brb.
    Looking for reasoning as to why Timyra-joi was sent packing as opposed to the other two irrelevents…
    Brb.
    Looking for a better way to explain the Donna Allen v Tessanne pairing other than a simple throwaway (Adam is notorious for those).
    Brb.
    Looking for a reason to actually like Briana Cuoco >.>

• espy88 says:

Looking for a reason to actually like Briana Cuoco >.>

She’s Mary Bennet on the Lizzie Bennet Diaries. That’s what did it for me.

• what says:

Another LBD fan here and I liked her as Mary– I just don’t like her as a singer.

• Tiff says:

I’m also an LBD fan, and I like her as a singer…but I did think that Jacquie Lee was better. I’m glad that Bri got stolen, but confused as to why she chose Blake…I think Cee-Lo would have done much better stuff with her. Oh well. I don’t think she’s a winner…

• adreyesatl says:

I feel as if she went with Blake because directly after the battle, Ceelo said he would have picked Jacqui. Blake said he would’ve picked Briana.

• espy88 says:

I liked her a lot more tonight than I did before. Still pissed about Donna though.

• DarkDefender says:

Briana is really a terrible singer. If she was not the sister of Kaley Cuoco, there is no doubt in my mind she wouldn’t even have been given a chance to do a blind audition, let alone make a team.

• AJ says:

Me too. I was happy that she was stolen though I agree with Christina’s choice.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Yup. I think it was pretty clear when Donna was paired with Tessanne, Donna would be going. Adam is pretty predictable in that way. I think I might like Brianna more if she’d stop talking. There is just something about her that comes off as unlikable.

• DarkDefender says:

I wonder if it is a family trait or if she just thinks talking like her sister (in character as Penny) in some way makes her likable (it doesn’t).

• billyweeds says:

Agree. Briana is one of the few contestants in “Voice” history who I would kick off just on the basis of her personality. She just seems not very nice. Period. Oh, and did I mention? She’s not a good singer, either.

• BillyBob says:

Briana comes off as I’m invincible and my sister is flipping Kaley Cuoco. She’s an average singer and lucky to have a job as a personal assistant to her famous sister.

• HTGR says:

IDK, she seemed very nervous during the chair auditions. This time she seemed different and seemed like she was acting her emotions. If this round hadn’t been taped much earlier I’d suggest she built a bit of a shell for herself after reading comments, but maybe she just got feedback after the audition about seeming nervous and unsure and decided to go into acting persona mode to try to get around that this time? Or maybe simpyl the chair validation was enough. Who knows. Dangerous game to judge so much off of so little.

2. Johnny says:

I have to disagree with you. I would have placed the grey vs nick one higher. I think both have amazing voices and personally I would have placed it 3rd or 2nd

3. Matrix says:

Disagree. Catch My Breath was stand out.

4. Dan (Haleyloony) says:

DONNA! Why? Huh? WTH?
    Anyways, Caroline is officially in my top 5 favorites. And I’m pretty excited about Tessanne.

• Dan (Haleyloony) says:

And I am now gonna turn off the TV every time I hear House of the Rising Sun from a contestant. I can only listen to the Animals version and HALEY FREAKING REINHART’s version.

• MC says:

There are plenty of good covers of HOTRS out there, but this wasn’t one of them tonight. I always like it when someone can sing it with conviction.

• MC says:

The most recent “good” performance of HOTRS was by Danie Geimer on the X Factor. I’m not saying she’s Haley Reinhart, but she did the song justice. The girls on the Voice tonight butchered it imo.

• megs says:

Oh, and couldn’t you tell that Jacque has DEFINITELY listened to Haley’s version more than a few times? Some of her runs and ad-libs were straight up Haley Reinhart originals. Not that that’s necessarily bad…if anything, it made me like her more lol. I’m just glad she beat out Briana. I knew she’d get stolen, but her picking Blake? Weird….maybe she’s hoping for a Cassadee Pope trajectory.

• HALEY FTW says:

Fun fact… Haley’s A.I. studio version of HOTRS was charting on itunes after last night. tee jee

• Teeny Bikini says:

Caroline. is. awesomeness. I adore her. And how she elevates songs into something new – and better.

• Tiff says:

^THIS. She’s easily my fave from tonight. The way she just improvised a way to change the chorus of As Long As You Love Me into something that suited her more? I am VERY impressed.

5. Scarlett says:

Briana making it through last week totally shocked me. She sort of redeemed herself (a little bit) vocally this week but now I kind of find her personality really annoying so I’m again frustrated that she made it through.

• debi says:

I totally agree.

• The Guest says:

There’s a possible spoiler/unfounded rumor that one performer Blake stole makes it all the way to the live rounds, so I suspect the other one is just knockout round fodder for one of Blake’s better singers. I’ll leave you to figure out which one is which.

You just know that last season that one girl Blake stole who ended up getting destroyed by Danielle Bradbery was never going to make it.

• KatK says:

The way she took criticism from the mentors, closing her eyes and agreeing as if she already knew what they were talking about bugged me.

• BillyBob says:

Two steals for Briana? WOW! The producers have to keep her in the game. Because of her famous sisters. Brings in viewers and fans of Kaley. I also see her performances has the most views on youtube.

6. Ansa says:

I really didn’t like Donna and it had nothing to do with age. I think she just went overboard on some of her runs that it looked like too much showboating. I think Tessane totally deserved to get picked. I also understand why no one else stole Donna…I think she wouldn’t go over very well on the live rounds. Loved Caroline and Jackie and I was actually pleasantly surprised at Briana Cuoco…I just hope people won’t handicap her for being kaley’s sister.

• Kari G says:

Agree with every single thing you said!

• Jay says:

Respectfully disagree-not a big fan of runs normally by her voice sounded amazing. With the right coach who took her out of her comfort zone, she could have delivered some amazing performances. The others who were stolen will fade into mediocrity.

• Opeasy says:

I think tessanne owned donna simply because she is a great vocalist and donnas vocals have gotten a bit rusty over the years not saying she isnt good just saying her time has been and gone

• Tyler says:

I agree, Ansa. IMO Tessanne gave the better performance. I’m surprised Slezak didn’t rank it #1. Tessanne sang with more emotion and range than Caroline. I wonder if Tessanne was on someone else’s team–would Slezak then rank Tessanne #1 because so far, he’s only ranked her #2, which is kinda ridiculous.

• Mary says:

I agree 100 percent. Donna went to far in singing that song. Disagree about Briana, would not have wasted a steel for her. I do think she did better than the audition, but truly should of not made it this far, Christina made the right choice actually like Jacquie one of my favorites.

7. debi says:

Anthony and Caroline were the best. I don’t get Briana Cucco either. She sings ok, but she has this weird over-confident attitude. As for Donna, she is a great singer, but it seems like someone her age would have zero chance to win, and the coaches were probably just looking ahead. Life’s not always fair, but she handled it exceptionally well, and with her talent and her attitude, she is very impressive. I don’t know why Blake picked Nick. Nick is entertaining, but his voice is not pleasant in my opinion.

8. Laura says:

Sorry, but I don’t think Donna was a victim of agism. I felt like she way over sang the song.

9. Mike says:

For people who LOVED her in the blinds, they certainly acted like she was diseased when they had a chance to steal her. It certainly is ageism and I called it back when Adam originally took her. For them she’s not marketable. Sad, but true facts. :(

10. Derek says:

In what universe do Nic Hawk & Bri Cuoco rate a steal while Donna Allen & Timyra Joi don’t despite lavish praise from the coaches? How did Donna & Timyra participate in 2 of the most epic battles of the night, ignite the crowd and, yet, they now sit at home? This is why I hate the battle rounds. The coaches always make some stupid decisions.

• B. says:

Easy. Its because Nic and Bri have more unique voices. Not as polished as Donna and Timyra but much more INTERESTING for sure.

• Kaba says:

I didn’t really see what was so more “interesting” about their voices…
        Briana’s voice falls into “powerful deepish rocker-esque girl”.
        Though I do agree nic’s voice is more unique, but it’s almost painfully annoying after a while. He wouldn’t last long at all.

• HTGR says:

What is interesting about Nic’s voice?? It’s not that amazing either. It’s no more distinctive and Timyra can sing circles around him. Donna’s voice certainly has a lot more character than all three. I think the age thing and fearing that she’ll be too all one style did Donna in for this show and not a winner they’d have a chance to point to a long and youth catering career to perhaps. The way it goes.

• KT says:

Interesting does not mean it’s good. I’m sure my voice is “interesting” too when I (attempt to) sing, but you won’t see me on The Voice any time soon.

• KT says:

Interesting does not mean it’s good. I’m sure my voice is “interesting” too when I (attempt to) sing, but you won’t see me on The Voice any time soon…

• Teeny Bikini says:

Nick’s schtick will get old and fast, but he is entertaining to watch. I don’t get Brianna at all. It’s sad when talented singers have to go. Is it fair? Probably not, but the battle rounds are riddled with dumb choices.

• HTGR says:

I think Blake already regretted his first save just one pairing later. He always jumps the gun on his first save.

• Mary says:

I don’t know, maybe he is using them to help keep his favorite in longer with the live rounds. I do not think either Nic or Bri will go to far unless they show great improvement.

11. Canadian Fan says:

Blake wasted his steals twice today. Sad to see. Much more talented singers who deserve a second chance didn’t and won’t get it. On the other hand, steals seldom work – the only exception was Sasha Allen of the last season. All the other steals were tossed in knockout rounds anyway.

• MC says:

Those were some weird steals imo and Blake usually knows his stuff. SMH at those steals.

• The Guest says:

Blake’s never picked a steal over his original artist in the knockout rounds, so maybe he does know his stuff.

• MC says:

Sure. Fine. The point of the steals, ideally, should be to keep good singers in the competition. Give them a chance to win. Brianna is not a good singer. She was probably the worst one out there tonight. Nic is probably more style than substance. I understand that Blake wants these people as fodder for the knockout rounds, but some viewers will get the false impression they were “stolen” for their artistry. Nic is there for his personality and Brianna is there so Kaley will attend more tapings.

• BillyBob says:

Exactly, so Kaley will be in the audience to cheer her sister on. Her Twitter is exploding with support for her sister. I noticed that Briana’s performances has the most views too!

• Tyler says:

I agree 100%. This is one of the things that bugs me about Blake. He cheapens the competition. Last season he paired up country singers with non-country singers and even though some of the non-country singers fared better, Blake still chose the country singers. And now this season he’s using his steals for less-worthy contestants. i mean, why would he use his steals for Bri and Nic instead of better contestants like Matthew, Preston, Ashley, Will or James W.? (Didn’t Blake say he wanted to steal him? Well, now he can’t.)

• ronnie says:

You are wrong. Amanda Brown was a steal (in one of the dumbest pairings in Voice history), and she made it to live rounds.

• The Guest says:

There’s no way of knowing what order these battle round performances were in. For all we know, Nic and Briana were at the end the taping so Blake stole them just to give his existing singers an easy knockout round win.

All the comments the coaches make directly to the camera in between the performances are done after it’s all over, and set up in a way to make it sound like it’s in order of how the show presents it.

• HTGR says:

No steals can be big, not just Sasha but don’t forget, of all people, Amanda Brown just the season prior to Sasha! And I feel like there were others that lasted a long time too no?

12. Sly says:

Wow, bad song choices tonight. A mess.

13. Sarah says:

Why did no one steal Donna!?!? SHE WAS MY FAVORITE!!! Who cares about her age, you can’t teach her range and soulfulness. Ugh Adam totally gave up on her!

• Teeny Bikini says:

Adam never intended to keep her. She has always been zombie food from the start. And I don’t think this was her best showing. This wasn’t a tear off the roof kind of song, it needed more tenderness and dynamics – not just raw power.

• Tiff says:

Let’s get real here. Pairing Donna and Tessanne was NOT Adam’s choice. That was a producer’s choice to guarantee an epic battle, with the hopes that whoever lost would get stolen. Unfortunately, I do think that Donna oversang the song a little – the problem with her is that we’ve now pretty much seen everything she can do, and we kind of know that she’s going to sing all the next songs the same way. Tessanne keeps impressing me with her range and poise, though.

That said, I think Donna was totally robbed of a steal, as was Timyra-Joi. Sigh.

• BillyBob says:

She’s an old hack! If the chance she wins, you think she would be the star? The most potential to be a break out star are singers in their teens or early to mid twenties. NOT 56 year olds.

14. shaw says:

They keep using the word EPIC but the season is so blah blah to me I find my self watching what’s on my face or dwts I’m hating this season

15. B. says:

PEOPLE ARE NEVER HAPPY.

16. Madeline says:

So underwhelmed by this season so far!!!! Oh Judith Hill, Sarah Simmons, Amber Carrington, and Amanda Brown where are you all????

17. Super agree with Michael on the top performance of the night. What I thought was a mismatch bent on giving an advantage to Caroline turned out to be a really amazing duet that stole the show for me. Very even match. Granted, Caroline still won, but at least Anthony gave a damn good fight. The other perfomances, on the other hand, were a bit lackluster. Come on, House of the Rising Sun!? And, no, totally not happy with Donna and Timyra’s lack of steals AND Blake’s dubious choice of stealing Briana. Glad someone stole Nic, but Blake!?!?! I hope to God he doesn’t make him Knockout Round fodder. Glad that the Knockout Rounds have a steal option now, at least the coaches (read:Blake) can do corrective measures on their teams. As for song choices, aside from Xtina, I think the song choices tonight are interesting, if a bit bland.

18. Artlight says:

“a deficit of Blind Audition screen time is not an automatic death sentence in the Battle Rounds in Season 05″
    Why is that surprising? It doesn’t happen all the time but it’s not unprecedented for someone who got montaged to win a battle or even get to the lives. It happened in s02 (Ashley de la Rosa) and s03 (Loren Allred). IDK if it happened on s04 because I stopped watching pretty early but I’m guessing it did

• The Guest says:

Two montages in a row and then winning a knockout round, however, leads to no one voting for you and an immediate exit in the live rounds. Just ask Loren Allred and Justin Rivers.

For a second I thought they were gonna show every battle round since six songs a show over four nights would do it, but Tuesday is only an hour long. WTF!!!!!

19. More Voice, less X-Factor please.

20. In Adam’s defense, the only person who can match Tessanne is Donna. What’s baffling is Xtina didn’t steal Donna.

• Ansa says:

I agree…if he paired those two with other people it would be so lopsided and obvious. They also need to show a good performance and musically those two made sense. I did feel that the other judges were a bit sheepish about not stealing her but I do think Donna showed a lack of versatility that would be difficult to handle in live rounds.

21. what says:

Going into the battle rounds I didn’t really have any favorites–I liked Tessane and Nic from their auditions but those were the only two I was rooting for tonight. Not gonna lie, part of the reason why I like Nic is cause of his personality but I also like his voice bc I thought it was different. Tonight his voice was very…screechy, whiny? I think part of that was the song choice. While Adam was thinking in the right direction but I think he should’ve chosen Nobody’s Perfect by Jessie J instead. (Side note: Has anybody here watched the Voice UK? Vince Kidd and Jessie J did that song and it was amaaaazing). I feel like with Nic song choice is going to be crucial, but it might not even matter since he’s on Blake’s team now. HOTRS was way hyped in my opinion. Caroline is growing on me. Also I feel like Ceelo is less creepy this season?

22. The duel between Tessanne and Donna was awesome. However, Donna kinda over sang her part. I think Blake chose Donna as the winner of the duel because he was hoping that Adam would release Tessanne so that he could steal her. If he thought Donna was so good………why didn’t he steal her. I’m glad Adam did not fall for it. Blake is a smart guy. The other judges should keep a close eye on him. Too bad the two top contenders sang against each other so early in the battle. This season is Adam’s if he makes the right decisions because he already has the voice.

• Kaba says:

Adam had “the voice” last season and that still didn’t stop Danielle from stealing that idea

• ZisforZombie says:

Who was Adam’s “voice” last season? Sorry, honestly don’t remember…

• Tiff says:

Adam had Judith Hill and Sarah Simmons, and then he lost them. Blake’s advantage is that country voters ALWAYS vote for his artists…even when they’re not country. Remember Jermaine Paul?

• tnsmoke says:

I wish people would quit insulting us country music fans. There is probably more diversity in country music these days then any other format. Blake picks diverse voices. Even IF all 12 of Blake’s team sang country songs, tthat leaves 36 non coumtry songs for the 3 remaining coaches. Do you hear country fans complaining about too many non country songs? No BBecause we are more open to all kinds of music!

• Tyler says:

@ tnsmoke: I’m not against “too many non country songs.” I like really good country songs like Carrie Underwood’s Blown Away. But what was so good about Grampa Tell Me Another Story? And some other ridiculous country songs I can’t even remember. It’s like Blake intentionally wants to turn non-country viewers off. If there is more diversity in country music these days–as you put it–then why doesn’t Blake pick them? Do you really think Grampa Tell Me Another Story is really that diverse?! So many we’ll quit insulting you country music fans if Blake would give us a reason to not do it.

• Tyler says:

I meant Im not against too many COUNTRY songs.

• tnsmoke says:

But there is classic country, songs like the older ones Blake often highlights, And there are pop country songs, like what is mostly on the radio the past 5-6 years. We also have bluegrass and Americana and Texas honky tonk and even songs with orchestra’s like alot of Patsy Cline’s songs. There are a ton of baby boomers and Blake know this and the old classic songs are ones boomers like to hear. Blake is just trying to make the best song choice to advance his artists and it works. No way anyone is voting for a crappy singer just because Blake is his couch. Adam is always the favorite coach and it’s HIS song choices that send his best singers home, or their’s when the public votes.

• Kaba says:

Oh. Idk.
          Judith? The one who initially had the biggest buzz about being the potential winner. Then Sarah was in the air for a while too.
          People even claimed that Adam easily had the strongest and most watch-worthy team.
          Until he ruined them

23. Pat says:

Personally, I think Grey has the potential to win it all. She’s got the look and the groundwork of a great voice. She could be on to watch, Other than that, I was angry Timyra wasn’t stole and Nic Hawk was.

24. Francine says:

Grey is a beautiful girl and has a very nice voice… It’s just nothing out of the ordinary to me. There are many girls out there with the same voice and look. I enjoyed Caroline the best and still don’t understand Briana. She was definitely better than her audition but its hard to believe 2 judges argued for her while none went for Donna or Timyra-Joi.

• JimmyJoe says:

The producers gave Cee lo and Blake a memo to steal her, if she’s available. They have to keep her in because the buzz of famous Big Bang sis’s sis.

25. Sarah says:

Briana Cuoco had Cee Lo asking her to be on his team Twice! And still, no dice. I think she will be Knock-out round fodder so he can keep singers he already has. Which is sad, because I really believe Cee Lo would push her to be more diverse and to control her pitch.

26. EVPandHC says:

Briana Cuoco is still in? What the hell? :|

27. JimmyJoe says:

If Selena Gomez and Cheryl Cole had a child, it would look like Jacquie.

28. Erin C says:

I really loved the sound of Jacquie’s voice, so i would have ranked her higher than fourth. And I was glad Donna went home – while I recognize her voice was really good, it just isn’t my cup of tea – and I think Adam was smart not too choose her if he is thinking about who will get more votes in the future.

29. A says:

LOVE Caroline

30. jeremy.hudson says:

Am I the only one who really enjoyed tonight’s show? I thought they all did a great job. Much better than their blind auditions and I would keep them all if I can.

31. sophie says:

My favs tonight are Amber Nicole and Tessane. The Caroline and Anthony battle was great too because both were spot on and not over the top. I thought Donna oversang it and it seems there’s not much more the couches could have bring out from her but I agree that Briana is overrated.
    Christina seems the most invested in her team, she is fighting for every team member much more then the other couches. I love her this season.
    I don’t know why each year Adam has the strongest team when he always makes the biggest mistakes. The contestants should know that by now and avoid him.

32. HTGR says:

Aghhhh! How can Timyra-Joi have been sent home after that?? To be honest, I thought she even won the round (although Amber does have quite a tone). And then right after we get such a mediocre pairing on Blake’s Team. This is what frustrates with The Voice. She and while I am at it Donna, could singer either of that pairing under the table and yet they are both gone and one of that pair is still here.
    Aghh Timyra-Joi there and Donna could sing most of Idol and XFactor and many remaining here under the table and they are cut before it even goes live. Think about it. On Idol we had Lazaro going DEEP into the live rounds and he barely hit a note and the likes of Timyra-Joi and Donna and so many other on The Voice don’t even make live rounds because of weird pairing and timings and choices and such.
    Why does Blake always make that quick wasted first save pick? You could just tell he’d have taken Timrya-Joi had he not just used it on Nick. She wipes the floor with him. And then others are afraid since they didn’t get to here there pre-thought potential steals yet.
    The Voice really needs some of holding pit where each can scavenge from released singers at the end or something.
    I definitely think that The Voice very much becomes something less than blind after the initial round and that explains Donna. Between the age and her set style they probably figure it made a tough play for her if she won I guess. I can see how Tessanne might be a bit more youthful styled and flexible seeming, but man I don’t if she actually won that particular round.
    The problem with picking Team Adam is he 100% always pairs best with best so it’s a big risk. CeeLo usually does that, but at least only once, and his ultra pairing always gets the other singer saved. Of course part of it is that only one can win and they do want some variety on their teams so you sort of get it but well I mean look at Blake that one round had two singers who didn’t rate compared to the rest of the night so why not have paired each up with someone else super strong. Yeah diversity on the team but….

• Tyler says:

You can also say if you’re not a power-singer like Tessanne or Donna, then it’s good to pick Team Adam because he won’t pair you up with someone you can’t beat. That may be another reason why so many contestants pick Adam.

• HTGR says:

If you are female and super young don’t pick xtina since she always ends up releasing them in favor of someone a bit older and more experienced but do pick Blake, he favors and protects them and also wins a lot.
        If you are over 45 or 48 or so don’t pick, well any of them haha, but especially don’t pick Adam and maybe pick CeeLo and pray.
        If you are a crazy super voiced singer yeah you can go fairly far with Adam, but so far not win and so far actually a bit less far than going with CeeLo or some others, but you also have a 50 percent chance of not even making the live rounds as he pairs em up and then at the times they go his non-pick tends to slip buy and not get a steal. With CeeLo he makes some silly pairings too but his non-pick almost always gets stolen. Xtina’s non-picks get stolen a bit more than 50% of the time I’d say.

33. HTGR says:

Thankfully Anthony was saved because if Timyra and he had gotten sent home back to back…. there is no telling how the universe would’ve recovered from that disturbance.
    He really has some amazing vocals and he took the notes soooo well. He went from all this nonsense runs garbage and over singing like I still feel the most recent Idol winner is VERY prone too but he actually took the advice and man applied it to perfection. I tend to get more blown away by female vocals but this guy is one who really has them too.

• Sly says:

No, he’s not very good. He over sings, and his tone is sour.

• HTGR says:

Well he did wayyy overdo it earlier on, and his initial take on the battle song was crazy overdone, but he did pull it back a fair amount already for the battle round performance after just one mention that he should pull it back. He was super precise. I don’t know what you mean by a sour tone.

34. HTGR says:

I still think HOTRS for all they built it up putting it last and all just seemed a little pale, perhaps mostly because it wasn’t some new female twist as they well know and it’s a bit tough beat the still too fresh in mind Haley version. She had the raw pipes and more of either and more raw grit. Jacquie just seems not quite bluesy raw gritty enough to really match. She could be a good contestant on the show though.

35. HTGR says:

Cuoco did do much better overall this time and good chunks really were very good, she did lose it a little a couple times though so just when she may have fully won everyone over to her talent so maybe left a hint of doubt for some doubters. She did have some impressive long stretches though for real.
    Again it was just a little rough to end the show on that given all that signifies with the Haley HOTRS still hanging out there though which made it almost a little unfair on them both to quite pull off the moment the show planned perhaps.

36. AJ says:

love amber nicole!

37. adreyesatl says:

I feel as if Blake stole Nic for two reasons: A) Nic makes Blake laugh and B) remember how much Blake’s wife Miranda LOVED Cody Belew a couple seasons ago? I suspect she told Blake to grab him.

38. Beiberleigh says:

Michael Slezak: This show is called THE VOICE not The Strut or The Rapid-Fire Delivery. That is all.

39. Billnyc says:

I really got into the Amber Nicole / Timyra-Joi showdown. They both brought it.

Super happy Amber Nicole was chosen but also selfishly wish Timyra-Joi was stolen. “Selfishly wish” because Timyra-Joi def has potential and since she is only 15/16 an early knock down like this seems it will actually make her stronger in her future career than if they let her though now.

40. Katie says:

UGH, why would Blake waste a steal on Nic?

41. Francine says:

Poor Shelby, not a mere mention from anyone ;)

• Just says:

Ha ha, yes poor Shelbie’s only mentions were when talking about such an ordinary performance. I think she’s a pretty girl with a decent voice, unfortunately she’ll get lost in the sea of the others.

• Ted says:

That’s because she’s not worth mentioning.

42. Ashbash says:

I for one loved Jacquie lee and briana cuoco’s hotrs. I can’t figure out whose version to download on iTunes lol. Those two and tessanne are in my top 3 artist to vote for I don’t understand all the briana hate so what her sister’s famous awesome doesn’t mean she can’t pursue her passion

43. Mike says:

On every single recap by Slezak, almost all of the comments should just be “I agree with 100% of what you wrote, and I don’t actually have my own opinion.”

44. Rich says:

Nick is terrible. His voice is thin and he has a lisp when he sings. I may FF next time. Meanwhile Grey hasa beautiful tone and she can really sing. I prefer voice over flash.

45. jw says:

Dude, Nic’s sound may be distinctive, but that doesn’t mean its pleasing. It was too hard, too limited…and his movements on stage were too frantic. I liked his audition, but that Battle Round performance was not good. Grey may be…grey….but she was solid and smooth. As for Donna, I don’t get the adoration. Solid voice, talent…but her choices inside the song don’t hit.

46. TheVoiceProblems says:

Follow me @thevoiceproblem on twitter :) :)

47. Voice Fan Man says:

Briana is going to go home during the Knockout Rounds. If she picked Cee-Lo, she could have a much better chance at the Live Shows. Honestly, I’m not sure why she was stolen and the battle itself wasn’t even that good. The Caroline / Anthony pairing was great. Caroline has that quality that another Caroline (Glaser) has in her voice. Great control and delivery. She could be a front-runner honestly. She’s got the youth like Danielle did last season and the likability about her as well. I think Cee-Lo has someone in Caroline who could make the final 4 honestly. I also like it when those in the montages make it to the KO rounds as well. Kudos to Anthony and Amber Nicole.

48. Delon says:

Caroline and Anthony’s battle was definitely the highlight of the night for me.

49. GTS says:

Did Adam (or the producers) pair Tessannne and Doña to get rid of Dona, or to get a whole lot of downloads on iTunes?