Sleepy Hollow Recap: Lonely Island

Sleepy Hollow Season 1 RecapA mysterious young boy turns up in Sleepy Hollow this week, and before you know it, lots of people are sick. (Kids = germ factories, am I right?) But when Ichabod falls ill, too, it takes no less than Abbie, Katrina-in-limbo and a very old ghost settlement to put things right again. Before the creeping black veins of badness are too far gone, let’s review what happened in “John Doe.”

RELATED| Quotes of the Week: Best Zingers From Sleepy HollowMomThe Originals and More

BOY WONDER | This week’s main plot follows Thomas, a young boy dressed in old garb who runs into Sleepy Hollow and passes out. Ichabod tags along when Abbie is called to the scene, and that’s where he realizes that the boy speaks Middle English. As in Middle Ages. As in, maybe Crane’s not the only time-transplant in town. (Of course Ichabod studied the tongue at Oxford and can therefore converse with the kid; I’m waiting for the week when a language comes up in the investigation and he’s like, “I got nothing.”)

Aside from being very freaked out, Thomas is also suffering from some kind of ailment that’s turning his veins black. Soon, many of the people who’ve come into contact with him are sick, too, leading to an Outbreak-type situation at the local hospital.

WALK ON THE WATER | Abbie and Ichabod, working off the fact that Thomas said he was from Roanoke, make a spectacular leap that he’s not from the town in Virginia – he’s from Roanoke Island, N.C., otherwise known as a community whose entire population vanished off the face of the Earth between 1587 and 1590. As the duo find out when they go looking in the forest, that community – untouched by the march of time — is now located on a small island off a wooded trail in Sleepy Hollow. (Both of them literally walk on water to get there, a slight tie to the faith theme raised later in the episode.) The horseman of pestilence (one of headless’ buds) tried to decimate the population, leaving everyone there veiny, too, but not sick… because the ghost of a little girl lead them to the island for protection. (I realize that last sentence reads as though it were strung together by a teenager who’s a little too excited about Magic: The Gathering, and I apologize.)

Anyway, Abchabod realize they have to bring Thomas back to the island to stem the spread of the disease and to thwart pestilence’s reunion with his headless bro in Sleepy Hollow. But Ichabod succumbs to the sickness and is put in isolation, where he dreams that he encounters Katrina in a purgatory ruled by Moloch. They kiss, but he’s distracted by wondering what Moloch wants with the redhead’s soul. Before she can tell him, he’s yanked back to reality, where Abbie and Capt. Irving conspire to get Thomas and Crane back to Roanoke.

RELATED | Fox Renews Sleepy Hollow For a Second Season

A DUNK’LL DO YA | The trio almost doesn’t make it; Abbie has to give Ichabod an adrenaline injection just to help him keep walking (“I like it!” he replies. Ha.) and, in a line sure to make all of the fanvids, she tells him, “I cannot make it without you.” Aw. All three of them arrive at Roanoke just in time for Ichabod to submerge himself and Thomas in the central well, curing themselves of the plague and vanquishing the swiftly advancing horseman of pestilence. Everyone else who’s in town is similarly cured.

But wait! Where did the good folk of Roanoke go? Vanished right before Ichabod and Abbie’s eyes; they were never there, you see. Thomas “was dead all along. They all were,” Ichabod says, and don’t think too hard about that because what’s really important here is that Abbie took an uncharacteristic leap. “Your faith in being one of the witnesses allowed you to see what your eyes could not,” Ichabod tells her proudly. Um, dude? She’s been carting your Revolutionary rear around for weeks now and she petitioned God on your behalf; I think the girl is capable of freeing her mind from time to time. They exchange a BIG LOOK as she tells him that even though she knew he was more comfortable among the ancient islanders, “You belong in Sleepy Hollow in the here and now.”

Lest we forget why we’re all here, Headless climbs out of the river later that night to find his hellish steed waiting for him. More badness is coming, Abchabod!

SUSPICIOUS MINDS | Luke still doesn’t like Ichabod, and he doesn’t listen when the captain tells him to leave the matter alone. (Did you notice the stinkeye Abbie’s ex was giving the two in the background when they were at her desk? Even when you’ve got chiseled cheekbones and 2 percent body fat, jealousy ain’t sexy, Luke. ) But when the suspicious officer phones Oxford, a woman with a really fake-sounding British accent vouches for Crane. (Got thoughts as to who was on the other end of the line?  Sound off in the comments.)

RELATED | 15 Fresh Faces of Fall TV: Where You’ve Seen Sleepy Hollow‘s Nicole Beharie, Tom Mison (and More!) Before

CRANE MISCELLANY | Other points I would like to raise/discuss:

• Ichabod’s going to live in the sheriff’s cabin.
• Abbie’s comment “You look good for 200, but a change of clothes wouldn’t hurt” makes it seem like the shopping trip so many of you want will soon come to pass.
• Ichabod comes from money; we learn his father was a nobleman and that young Master Crane learned to track on fox hunts – though he seems to view his “regal” upbringing with some disdain
• The way Tom Mison has Ichabod say “spackle”
• The teasing way Nichole Beharie delivers, “You know, you can admit when you don’t know what a word means”
• The Ichabod interacts with a loofah puff and Scotch tape – I know this kind of thing may get old one day, but today is not that day, so bring it on, Sleepy Hollow.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? (Remember, it’s three weeks until the next new one.) Sound off in the comments!

1. LILA TOVA says:

LOrd it was goood as always.. I swear when CRANE and Abbie get a hold of each other, it will be like FITZ and OLIVIA exploding in that Closet! Just saying, they are oozing of sex appeal. Sorry Katrina will have to TRY HARD to kill Abbie because ICHABBIE/ABCHABOD is HOT and burning up my TV screen!!

• Marc says:

I am hoping, no praying that the writers let Katrina stay in limbo where she is. Abbie and Crane has that spark that just leaves me feeling warm and fuzzy.

• Samantha says:

I actually don’t ship them at all. I think they’re excellent partners and friends, but I actually think Ichabod has more chemistry, with Jenny, the sister. I can’t be the only one…

• Laura says:

I also agree with you on that. I too notice that Icabod have more chemistry with the sister than Abbey. I just see Icabod and Abbey as just partners and friends. I hope the writers show more of his wife to learn about their relationship.

• Znachki says:

Laura – From the previews, it looks like we will when the show comes back after the World Series

• kortu says:

Seriously? Everyone ships Jenny and Icky, but why? Jesus. he’s actually married and he should stay with his wife. Duh, Jenny?

• Marc says:

I actually like Abbie with Crane, IMO they have something warm and special and if allowed to develop organically, might truly become a great relationship. Honestly though, I don’t even want them together anytime soon, I’m ok to enjoy their interactions for as long as they keep it as fresh as it is.
            That being said, I believe that it is ok for viewers who like him with Jenny or Abbie because I believe that it was established that Katrina is dead and it is her spirit or soul (not 100% sure what they call it) that is in purgatory, and while she is still unable to cross over, she is not a living being.

• Kathleen Ford says:

I really like Ichs and Kat. They look great together.

• Mo says:

Agree with Marc. I think Katrina is meant to be more like a guide for Ichabod, and even if they somehow find a way to get her out of purgatory her character is probably not going be returning permanently to this world. I just feel like Ichabod has idealized her to the point that it wouldn’t work in the story to have her actually physically present for any length of time.

That said, I appreciate the chemistry between Ichabod/Abby but I am perfectly content to have that relationship stay the strong platonic bond it is now. Not opposed to it going romantic sometime in the future, but it can definitely not happen while Katrina is still a possibility in any way. I can’t see Ichabod allowing himself to acknowledge potential romantic feelings unless his wife was definitely, permanently departed.

• Virginia Dale says:

Ichabod’s fate is entwined with Abbie’s, he said so himself: straightforward, without hesitation, not a hint of doubt on his part. As of last night, not a hint of doubt on her part as well.

It’s not about chemistry (which they have in spades), or commitment (he still feels married to another woman), its about a connection as primal as life.

• Annie says:

YES, to this. Please do not get these two together romantically. The chemistry is perfect for a solid partnership. (But I don’t want him with Jenny, either. They’re fighting the devil, basically. Romance can wait.)

• tvdiva says:

Why does every couple on every TV show have to be shipped? Why can’t Crane and Abby just be working colleagues? The man is married, pining for his wife – not Abby and not Jenny. If they ever got together it would blow their entire relationship which is founded on a mutual respect for each other and for their work.

2. schu says:

First episode I’ve watched, and it was just on a whim, but I understand all the hype! Good chemistry between the two and love a twisty historical storyline that the writers can go their own direction with. I’m a fan!

3. OMG He said they are going home. Woot Woot! Just a fabulous episode. This show needs to be on Cable so they can be more free. The jealous ex-boyfriend needs to take a seat with Katrina n purgatory. Something tells me he will work with the witch to keep Ichabod away from Abbie. Crazy times ahead for Ichabbie. Sleepy Hollow is definitely the best show on TV.

• Ashley LOVES SAMCRO! says:

This ep. was great i’m really liking this show! Abbie and Crane together= AWESOME!
      Jealous much moralas? Very courious about crane haha……am i the only one that thinks orlando jones’ character is some what invovled or has ‘knowledge’ of what’s going on in sleepy hollow?

• Empress Horton says:

I completely agree about Orlando Jones, he is too cool with letting the whole Ichabod thing be cool. I love the dialog between Ichabod and Abbie. I love there relationship right now, but maybe way later they can hook up. Like the last season of the show or something. I do hope they do not cut Ichabod’s hair or change his clothes too much. I love his look. Very dashing.

• Marc says:

“The jealous ex-boyfriend needs to take a seat with Katrina n purgatory” – hilarious!!!!! And I totally agree!!!!!!!!!

• Virginia Dale says:

I’ll give the ex boyfriend a break because the show has led me to believe Andy Dunn (played by John Cho) had something with Abbie before the break-up. Luke may be barking up the wrong tree with Ichabod, but Abbie does look like the guilty party in this.

4. Morisot says:

Cannot believe that Fox is NOT airing an episode of Sleepy Hollow during Halloween week! (I know, baseball, but r-e-a-l-l-y !)

• Drew says:

Right? The baseball hiatus has been nothing but a headache for decades (killed Firefly). We live in the age of hdtv, can’t they throw the baseball on fox.1 or fox.2 or something?

• Adam says:

I don’t think you understand how big post-season baseball is.

• No offense Adam, but not everyone follows or enjoys sports. Also though things like playoffs, Superbowls, World Series are big…. in this day and age, most ppl have satellite or cable which gives them access to ESPN. My question to whom it may concern, is why aren’t all sporting events put on ESPN (all sports lovers go there to live and die for their faves) ? This would free up the big networks to put other things on so that individuals who aren’t sports fans have an option of something to watch. (And before you say anything, I also feel the celebrity award shows like the Oscars, Tonys and Golden Globes should be shown on a channel like E!) This way everyone wins and gets to watch what they want.

• Marc says:

I agree with you completely. As a fan of Bones, it was beyond annoying having to deal with hiatuses for weeks as a result of playoffs which sometimes throw off the momentum of the show. Sleepy Hollow is a new show and four weeks in, its already going on a three week break for baseball.

• Katherine215 says:

I’m pretty sure special sports events usually score higher in the demo than most tv shows do…

• Katherine215 says:

And further, “all sports lovers” don’t actually go to ESPN just like all TV and movie fans don’t watch E!

• sladewilson says:

I can actually answer this for you: money. Absolute total greed. The ad rates go up to ungodly levels for sports events. Moreso than any other event (awards shows included). Sports themselves bring in the most money for any network which is why they literally go to war over the rights. That’s why. It sucks – I agree in theory with everything you wrote but know it won’t change any time soon and I mean literally decades….

• JEst says:

The more money a network can make through ads, the more they have to spend on the shows that you praise. It isn’t like they magically get the money.

• annie says:

Woo hoo!!! I like that idea I am not a sports fan and wish they would put their event on one of the several sports channels so those of us who don’t care for it can watch our shows happily instead of waiting weeks to dive in again….and award shows can do the same. I am happy with my shows and don’t ask for much lol….

• Tenney says:

I just love this show. I know that there are inaccuracies in the historical refererences and I read the debate people were having about whether Thomas should have been speaking middle english or not, but honestly, I don’t care. I don’t watch the show to get a history lesson. The show is fun to watch, the chemistry between the characters is fantastic, the storyline is different and keeps me engaged, the cast is very diverse, and Tom Mison is really hot. That’s why I watch the show. Too bad we have to wait for baseball to be done before we get another episode though.

• Drew says:

I get it. But at least where I am, pretty much every channel has sub-channels. 5.1, 5.2, etc. So we can have the games broadcast over the air without taking actual shows off.

I don’t watch network primetime for sports. I think that sports are fine if you’re into that sort of thing, but they’re not part of the schedule. They’re like having stupid award shows every week. If I want to watch them, I’ll find them on the weekend or whatever, but when I turn on the TV during primetime, I want real shows.

Yes, these games get high ratings. But at what cost? Firefly was killed by this schedule. Even fans had no idea when the show was actually going to be on. The show was successful enough to have incredibly high DVD sales and spawn a movie, so you can’t say that the interest wasn’t there. But that show and how many others have been canceled because the network premieres a show and then takes it off for weeks at a time right out of the gate? It’s stupid programming and in this day and age, it’s simply unnecessary.

5. HanLin says:

The Lost Colony? This show makes my life. Being a citizen of NC, I have been told about Roanoke since elementary school. I am so happy that they brought this in. I wonder if the idea came because they film in Wilmington? I love it!

6. Singing_gal says:

Seriously, I love this show, and I am willing to suspend my disbelief in regards to religious references or the original Legend of Sleepy Hollow. However, when you have a colony in the late 16th century speaking Middle English, when people would have actually been speaking Early Modern English a la Shakespeare (this was during his heyday) during this time, it is a bit of a stretch. That’s just historical fact, folks. Maybe the citizens of Roanoke would have been a bit hard to comprehend, but not as difficult as was portrayed. And no, I am not suggesting that they should have been speaking in iambic pentameter either. That’s just silly.

• Drew says:

Ichabod’s English accent is wrong as well. He should actually sound more American (British accents changed later). But it helps set the tone for the show, so I don’t mind.

• do it says:

They haven’t said that Ichabod wasn’t born an Englishman, though. Plenty of Americans who fought on the side of the Patriots in the war were recent immigrants. Didn’t make them any less American than those whose families had been here a little longer. The Middle English in Roanoke thing really broke my immersion, on the other hand. It’s the time period of Shakespeare. That’s not esoteric knowledge, most people should have known the language was wrong if they have even a little bit of an education. I don’t know why they would change something that people are going to notice like that for such little payoff. Oh well.

• Connie says:

I think Drew meant that at the time of the Revolutionary War, the British (but really, English) accent sounded more like an American accent today than it sounded like the current English accent back then.

• kd83954 says:

I know they addressed this in interviews: he was a recent transplant to the colonies in order to help with the fight for independence. Given that, it wouldn’t be a stretch for him to have a British accent –especially if he was in the colonies for only a handful of years before he “died.”

• Drew says:

Back then, the British would have sounded more like Americans sound today. The British accent as we know it was developed later. People actually took classes in order to change their accents. It became a social movement that never carried over into America (except for Madonna and Gillian Anderson). So technically, all of the people who are swooning over Ichabod’s accent are swooning over a historical inaccuracy.

• Roanoke was a little before Shakespeare, more L’Morte De Arthur. While it is inaccurate, it isnt that far off really. Middle English wouldve have only just ceased which is what Chaucer actually wrote in. Middle English is very very similar to Old English so really the stretch is there but not too wide in the overall view of history. It’s a TV show, being about 50 years off to help the plot isn’t horrible.

• do it says:

Incorrect. Roanoke was founded in 1585, the time of Shakespeare (Titus Andronicus was written in 1588). Malory was over a hundred years earlier, and Chaucer two hundred years. Also, Middle English is nothing like Old English. You’re on the internet. Look it up.

• Todd says:

Thanks! I said the same thing. It’s a shame TV takes us all for idiots. Fantasy is one thing, re-writing history is another.

• Alena says:

It’s called verisimilitude. Yes, the wrong version of English was spoken by Thomas and Ichabod, though Ichabod theoretically might have understood it with his upbringing and education. Still, the episode did very well, and I rather liked hearing the Middle English they used, regardless of its actual place in history.

• Alena says:

Also, there was a creative reason to use Middle English. Perhaps the writers were looking to (not so) subtly tie the pestilence facing Sleep Hollow with the Great Pestilence of the 14th century, most certainly a time when Middle English was spoken.

7. Leah says:

Abchabod? That one seems even more silly than Ichabbie. (I love it).

This show is absolutely ridiculous and I love it. His face when playing with the loofah was hilarious. I can’t believe we have to wait three weeks! The gigantic history nerd in me also loves this show. They’re suprisingly accurate. (Except for the demons and all that :p).

• Templar says:

How about CR[ane] + Abbie = Crabbie? I’m sort of getting to the point where my eyes stray to the computer or my book while it’s on and just listen to most of it. I found myself splitting my attention this ep.

• Virginia Dale says:

i still like Ichabbie better

8. Ashley LOVES SAMCRO! says:

One more thing tom mison AKA ichabod crane is HOT!!!

9. uh huh says:

Ichabod interacting with the trappings of modern life will NEVER get old. Never ever ever.

10. Mo says:

Those few seconds of Ichabod playing with the tape is exactly the thing that makes me fall in love with this show. And new clothes? Bring ‘em on! But I have to insist that the jacket stays. Boots too please, but jacket absolutely.

11. Alichat says:

That instrumental piece by Brian Tyler playing when Abby tells Ichabod he belongs in Sleepy Hollow, here and now, is gorgeous.

12. Spatz says:

I can’t wait to see John “freakin” Noble !!!!

13. GeoDiva says:

So anyone want to guess that Captain Irving’s first name is Washington? Also, he knows much more than he is letting on.

14. Nichole says:

What was wrong with the way he said “spackle”?? I’m first generation Australia to English parents, so maybe I missed something on that??? Also think that the shippers have it wrong, sure they have great chemistry together, but I don’t think it comes across as sexual chemistry, plus his love for Katrina is too strong to mess about, even if it has been 200 years lol :P

• Mo says:

I didn’t think the problem was his pronunciation. It was more like the look on his face when he said it was like he thought that whatever “spackle” might be, the word itself sounded somewhat distasteful.

15. the girl says:

They do have great chemistry but I would prefer they just stay friends. I don’t think every male and female leads on a show need to become a couple. As of right now, their relationship evolving in that direction doesn’t make sense. In other news, I really enjoyed the episode last night. I am enjoying Abbie’s process towards acceptance, which I think is realistically slow.

• John says:

Agreed 100%. They have a great working friendship chemistry, let’s just leave it at that please.

• Who wants to watch them parade as friends for a few seasons? Please.. Nobody got time for that. They have great chemistry and it should be explore. Of course slowly but definitely explored. Katrina is technically not his wife. They were both dead according to the law, at least he definitely was. Plus who knows exactly what Katrina is. I think she is not honest with Ichabod. She couldn’t even tell him why Moloch even has her there.

I think Katrina coaxed Ichabod into marrying her through witchcraft. Ichabod said he was from NOBLE Stock and from the flashbacks, Katrina looked poor. I’ll bet Ichabod knows nothing about Katrina’s real dealings.
      I wouldn’t mind her as an obstacle which will make it more interesting. But having Katrina because she’s the wife is kind of silly and will become boring.

16. Sara says:

Luke is going to make a huge mistake soon because of his jealousy of Ichabod. He’s very annoying. I think that the Captain has covered Ichabod’s tracks. Or maybe Abby did and we just don’t know yet?

17. Jimmy says:

I may be in the minority, but I wasn’t all that excited by this episode. I am, however, looking forward to seeing what John Noble brings to the series.

18. Jules says:

For some reason, I was really hoping that when Abbie and Ichabod were leaving the resettled Roanoke Island, they would show the word Croatoan carved into a tree or post somewhere, that would have been awesome!

19. Marc says:

Crane and Abbie are soooooooo cute together, I had a huge grin on my face just watching them last night.
    I wish that I could believe that Ichabod is actually in love with his wife, but I just can’t see it. I know that sooner or later, the writers are going to find a way to free her from limbo, but I am fervently hoping that she’ll stay there forever, sorry Katrina, well, not really.

• Mari says:

Except he doesn’t seem to be someone who would quickly move on to another relationship–especially when he sees her fairly regularly. He’d likely see it as cheating.

Getting her out of limbo and her not making it gives them a better shot at actually having a relationship.

• Marc says:

I could be wrong about this, but I believe that Katrina is truly dead and its her spirit or soul that in limbo, hoping that Ochabod can eventually free her from Moloch in order for her to cross over. Or am I wrong and it’s a case where she manages to save herself with a similar spell like she did with Crane and she can eventually come back into the real world?

• Mari says:

She probably is actually dead, but for him it hasn’t been that long. Adding in the regular dream conversations and occasional kissing, and in his mind, his marriage is still active–especially if you take into account that at his time period, days-weeks was not unusual to go without any contact at all if you were away for some reason. He’s probably got more contact with Katrina now through dreams and visions than he did the last few months of them both being alive. and him being active military.

The way Ichabod is written now, in order for he and Abby to have a relationship, he would need to truly see Katrina as dead-which is unlikely if their limbo contact stays this active. Katrina moving on from limbo to an actual afterlife would be the best shot for him to move on, at least at this point–unless he’s willing to cheat on his spouse, which some people are.

• I think Abbie and Ichabod will fall for each other, but because of the time Ichabod is from he will haggle with it. I really believe Katrina used magic to get with him to begin with. I also believe she will hurt Abbie if she sees that Ichabod is falling for her. I think this makes it more interesting.. But I really don’t trust Katrina!

20. Marc says:

Ok, so who was the woman on the phone confirming to Morales that Crane was a professor on sabbatical? I’m asking because Crane was a professor over 200 years ago and how would Oxford even know that Crane was alive and working for the police in Sleepy Hollow? Did the captain suspected that Morales was going to call Oxford so he arranged for “someone” to call Morales back, or is it some supernatural being at work?

• Alichat says:

I think the Captain knew Morales wouldn’t let it lie, so he arranged for someone else to call him back and “confirm” Crane’s credentials.

• navamske says:

Didn’t Morales take the call on a cell phone? And if so wouldn’t it show that the call wasn’t coming from overseas, let alone from Oxford?

• Alichat says:

The over-saturation of telemarketers and scammers in our society have proven that anyone can ghost a number and make it look like they are calling from Scranton, PA, when they are really calling from India. So, I don’t see the caller id being a deterrent to Irving faking the call to Morales’ cell phone.

21. Liz says:

I know post-season baseball is causing the three-week delay, but this kind of hiatus so early on a new show’s run can be killer. It is such as a awesome show and has such momentum, I hope this break doesn’t ruin it. This is why I like cable so much. Look at Walking Dead. 8 weeks on, break, 8 weeks finish. The continuity makes it so much better for the storyline and the viewer.

22. nick says:

Another great epi. Smart and very entertaining show. I can’t believe I have to wait until 11/4 for a new epi, but I guess I’ll have to rewatch all the epi’s over and over again.

23. BlueBelle says:

Okay, Crane you can get new clothes BUT…you can not cut your hair nor shave your beard. The facial hair is so attractive on him!! I think Abbie & Crane have very good chemistry but there is a little part of me that wants them to stay platonic. I rather it be more of a Giles & Buffy relationship, well, Giles was more of a father figure to Buf (B).

24. Kate says:

My guess was that the voice was Jenny (I know she is in the asylum but Abby might have slipped her a phone). I wanted to replay it and see if it sounded like Sonya from Nikita (same actress and all).

25. Todd says:

The Middle English thing is COMPLETELY wrong and assumes we’re all stupid! The colony set up in Roanoke was under Elizabeth I and as almost every school kid knows the Elizabethan age had a tremendously popular playwright, William Shakespeare! His English although accented a bit differently than modern English and a few unusual words, would be, for the most part, modern English!

26. Kate says:

Love this show!

It seems I may not be in the minority here, feeling that Katrina’s role (or maybe storyline) is kind of unnecessary….With all of the attention paid to their ‘maddening’ love for one another for these past few episodes (and as much as I love Tom Mison waxing poetic about love, case in point, that scene with Yolanda!) those two characters have spent at most 7 minutes of screentime together since the show premiered, and for all the talk about this once-in-a-lifetime love, we’re about halfway through the season and that sentiment hasn’t appeared on my television screen yet. If the writers are going to build it up that much, they haven’t delivered. I don’t know if it’s the actress or what, but I’m not buying it… And I always feel that Crane feels like he’s temporarily in this world if he keeps getting pulled back into this purgatory and dealing with his wife. I think it’d be a much more interesting show if Katrina were truly gone and he was faced with the reality that he lives in this world now and has to commit to it, the loss of his wife, and it would set-up a good storyline for next season–investigating the forces that killed his wife (as in, the descendants of the witch trials folks) that undoubtedly remain in Sleepy Hollow. For what it’s worth!

Also, minor nit-picky things about their relationship: 1) He has this once in a lifetime love with this woman but had no idea she was a witch!? that doesn’t give him any pause? that’s a pretty big thing not to know!) and 2) Katrina’s hair is distractingly unnaturally red. It’s not like they had L’Oreal back then, so no one’s wondering, hey why is her hair flaming red–how’d she do that?! C’mon!)

27. Jen says:

I’m putting in a plug for “Ichababbie.” It rolls off the tongue more easily than Ichabbie or Abchabod. Also, nice review. I look forward to continuing with it as the season progresses. Loving the show! Hating the 3 weeks off!

28. vazoozle says:

Not only is the Middle English thing way off but they even throw it in your face by: 1) referencing the 14th century poet Chaucer in dialogue and 2) writing the year for the Roanoke flashbacks, don’t remember exactly but it was late 16th century, on screen. That was the time of Shakespeare and the colonists should have been speaking Elizabethan English, which would have made for an odd accent if the show were really striving for verisimilitude but not difficult to understand and not Middle English.

Also, I’m no expert but that dialogue was not Chaucer’s English either. “Whan that Aprill with his shoures soote/ The droghte of March hath perced to the roote…” Someone speaking Chaucer’s English would have a strange accent and several unfamiliar words but could speak slowly and make himself understood. I’ll assume that was a real, older form of Middle English on the show, but then don’t have Ichabod- an expert with speaking fluency (!) in this language- reference Chaucer.

It seems like the showrunners wanted to have only Ichabod be able to communicate with the child, but their solution was really weird and flies in the face of common knowledge- a much larger problem than Ichabod’s speaking in a modern posh British accent, like Englishmen of every era do in the movies and TV. Just having a kid appear in antique clothing with no knowledge of the modern world would have enabled the same story.

• navamske says:

“It seems like the showrunners wanted to have only Ichabod be able to communicate with the child.”

I think the kid would have been freaked out by the technology. It would have been like Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer: “I’m just a pre-adolescent boy from the sixteenth century — your large video monitors frighten and confuse me . . .”

29. Evan says:

All I’ll say is it is not a spectactular leap if you hear the word Roanoke to not think of the lost colony. That is, if you’re up to date on historical mysteries. The minute they said the name I went “The Colony? Are they going to explain Croatoan? Sadly not part of the solution.

30. Mikael says:

The way Ichabod says “leftenant” is so sexy. I don’t care if the accent is historically inaccurate, I could listen to him read the phone book. And he’d better keep that coat!

31. Alena says:

I want to see Ichabod discover the wonders of packaged underwear.

32. tvdiva says:

Sleepy Hollow goes on hiatus for baseball, but when it comes back John Noble will be a major recurring character. I am so looking forward to seeing him on screen again.