Tate Donovan Teases the Hostages' Escape Plan, Says He'd Never Call Jimmy Cooper for Help

Hostages Preview Tate DonovanThe Hostages won’t be sitting on their hands, by any stretch, as CBS’ 15-episode thriller continues this Monday 10/9c.

This week, Brian Sanders brainstorms an escape plan for his family, which is being held virtual prisoner until matriarch Ellen can kill the President of the United State during surgery. After that, someone will need ER attention (but in the kitchen) and an unexpected drop-in drums up dire drama. TV vet Tate Donovan gave TVLine a preview of the twists and turns to come.

RELATED | Is a Scandalous Hostages Hook-Up Coming?

TVLINE | You’ve played a variety of roles over the years. What about Hostages just made it a “must do” role for you?
The script was a real page-turner. I mean, I was like, “How is this going to be a television show? That’s impossible.” And that kind of intrigued me. I loved doing Damages because the writers would always paint themselves into this sort of hole, and getting out of it was so much fun. Plus, Toni Collette is a great actress, and I was looking forward to working with her. [Executive producer] Jeffrey Nachmanoff is super, super smart, a really good guy. It shoots in New York. How bad can it be?

TVLINE | Were you surprised to see Brian confess his affair to Ellen so soon into the season?
One of the good things is I wasn’t surprised, because I think that when something so horrible and violent and dramatic happens to your family, all the BS comes right up to the front. [An affair] becomes so meaningless. I was really glad that they brought that right up, and we dealt with it.

RELATED | CBS Schedules Mike & Molly‘s Return for November

TVLINE | Upon learning last week that Ellen successfully sneaked off to spy on Duncan’s kid, Brian seemed to have some sort of plan brewing in his head…
Yes. They’re planning an escape. And it is a pretty well thought out plan, though I’m not supposed to tell you how it comes off. I mean, there’s a little snag or two, but… One of the fun things about this show is that the writers really try to make it realistic, like, “How would they really go about this?” For example, there’s an episode coming up where my sister-in law stops by sort of unexpectedly. How does the family deal with this unexpected guest when they’re being held hostage? Stuff like that is fun.

TVLINE | What can you tease about the episode after that, where emergency surgery needs to be performed at the house?
That’s pretty intense. We had these real surgeons come to the set and show everyone what actually would happen, how you actually could perform surgery in your kitchen. They were like, “It’s not the ideal conditions, but…”

TVLINE | …if you have some nice pendant lamps over the marble counter there….
It’s really funny that you say that, because that’s exactly what we hang the IVs from!

RELATED | Halle Berry to Star in New CBS Drama Extant

TVLINE | Rhys Coiro’s character, Kramer, is more sympatheticTruth And Consequences to the family members than the rest of Duncan’s crew. Is that something that Brian or Ellen might start to pick up on, that they might have a possible ally in their ranks?
Rhys’ character obviously he has that connection with [the son], so yeah, it’s kind of fascinating what’s going on with him. There’ll be some connecting with my character, actually. Rhys is a really good actor and they’ve given him interesting, multidimensional stuff to play.

TVLINE | We’re about to get some backstory on Duncan. Will it make us more sympathetic to this guy? Are we going to start to feel a little bit torn?
Yeah, you are. He becomes much more sympathetic. From Brian’s point of view, it’s still unbelievably awful and he hates him, but from the audience standpoint, you’ll understand why he’s going through all of this. Though I’m sure there are other ways that he could have done this!

TVLINE | OK, last question: It’s the middle of the night and you, Tate Donovan, are in trouble. Who’s your emergency phone call – Jimmy Cooper (The O.C.), Tom Shayes (Damages), Edward Bowers (Deception) or Brian Sanders?
[Laughs] That’s hysterical. God, it all depends on the situation. I would say Tom Shayes out of all of them.

TVLINE | And I think Jimmy is probably your last call.
[Scoffs] Jimmy, are you kidding me? That guy was, like, the worst. He’s probably the one that got me into the mess! You call him to you say, “Why the f–k would you tell me to invest my money in that?”

Want more scoop on Hostages, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Apples says:

How have CBS not pulled this show yet? Between Blacklist dominating with The Voice lead-in and Castle’s steady numbers, they must be set to replace this mediocre show with something else.

• Chris says:

CBS is showing faith in the show by changing its comedies around tonight. It only has a 15 episode season so it will probably air all of them

• Apples says:

A fair point, I forgot about the comedy reshuffle. I don’t expect that to have much of an impact on this show’s ratings, though.

2. Chris says:

What annoys me about his character last week was that his son asked for the money back, then doesn’t wanna give it back and then son gets beat up and still wonders, ummm, what happened???

3. ragincajun says:

I hope that CBS doesn’t just burn the remaining episodes off on Saturday once they pull it from the schedule after tonight’s episode (the cancellation of We Are Men and the comedy shuffle only bought the show a one week reprieve). Instead, they should try to relaunch it next summer as a companion for either Under the Dome or the new Spielberg/Barry drama, Extant.

4. N0S4AT2 says:

i guess i’m in the minority here as i absolutely love this show. Toni Collette is exceptional and I find each episode to be compelling. Mind you, I love soap operas so that’s probably why i enjoy this thriller drama. I hope they don’t cancel mid-season. I just want to see how it ends.

• Lori says:

Me too. Can’t wait to see what happens every week. They better not take it off the air like they do with all the good shows I liked!

• Eriq says:

I love the show.. but i actually think Toni Collette is the weak link in all this.. her mannerisms or rather the mannerisms she acts out for the character tend to make her unlikeable… I’m aussie, so it’s like an unwritten rule to love her down here.. but i think the show would benefit with a different actor in the lead..
      i symphatize more for Dylan McDermott and the crazy junky guy than i do with her..
      that’s just my opinion.

5. Lauren says:

Love the last few questions! I am enjoying this show until it is taken off.

6. Greg says:

I liked the Blacklist premiere more… but here we are four weeks into the season and I am caught up on Hostages while the last two Blacklist episodes sit on my PVR. I hope they show the whole 15 episode season before pulling the plug.

7. Daniel says:

Thanks Matt! Really love this show, I just hope it had better ratings!

8. Will says:

Jimmy Cooper! Ruining lives since 2003… God I miss The OC!

9. buckyr64 says:

I guess I’m the only one. I love the cast so much that I want to enjoy this show, but I simply can not. The characters are either dumb or annoying or worse by being both. The writers are plotting things so contrived to move the story along, but it’s really hurting the show. I keep coming back because the previews each week look so promising but then the full episodes are a letdown. Toni Collette is an amazing actress, but her performance feels forced. The way she left the kids at the station to save her husband after just finding out about his affair didn’t feel real. I think any parent would have made absolute certainty those kids were on that bus with strict instructions before going back. Plus, this kidnapping team has too much of a conscience to be so cruel with this family. Well except for Sandrine Holt and Billy Reed, those two seem like true mercenaries. BTW, that punk kid/boyfriend of the daughter’s; if he were to barge into my home the way he did, I would have shot him myself. Plus why are we being subjected to this filler storyline. Anyway, I giving this one more week because the previews looked good; I hope I’m not disappointed. Am I the only one who feels this way?