Castle Recap: Cheeseburgers!

Castle RecapThis week on ABC’s Castle, Rick met his No. 1 fan (with a bullet!), though under less-than-ideal circumstances. Beckett, in turn, gave the 12th an unofficial assist, prevented as she was from reclaiming her old job.

RELATED | Castle‘s Stana Katic Weighs In on the Looming [Spoiler] Issue

THE RECAP | A woman, Emma Riggs, flees the cops as they storm her apartment, then takes several people hostage inside a dentist’s office. (That would be a quaint storefront dentist’s office. In New York City. OK….) Turns out, Emma’s wanted for murdering the man whose body lay dead on her apartment floor. Emma tells the cops she’ll only talk to novelist/NYPD consultant Richard Castle, and after an amusing round of “Richard Castle Trivia,” she allows him to join her.

Emma claims she is innocent, that the victim was her boyfriend Angelo. Castle is inclined to believe her, based in part on some incongruity with the texts sent from her phone. But things look iffy when Beckett phones Castle with info from Emma’s sealed juvie record — that she committed an identical murder as a youth. As Castle hears Emma’s side of the story, a hostage makes a grab for the gun and, in the scuffle, Rick gets shot, though the bullet is stopped by his vest. (Still: My understanding of how vests work is that, at that short of range and with a shot to the sternum, he’d have the wind knocked out of him and then some.)

Eventually, it’s deduced that Angelo had broken into the orphanage where Emma was raised to secure her birthday gift — her adoption records — and that Emma’s father is real estate tycoon/aspiring governor Aaron Stokes. What’s more, Stokes’ lawyer had paid a records clerk to reveal the contents of Emma’s juvie file, But Aaron, after a gentle interrogation by Gates and Beckett, maintains that he had no role in the frame job. Instead, it was his shady lawyer/son-in-law, who feared Emma would try to lay claim to half the trust that otherwise would be going to his wife, Stokes’ other daughter.

In the wake of the big win and Stokes’ appreciation of the NYPD’s deft handling, Gates drops a hint that the excellent Kate Beckett can’t rejoin their ranks due to budget cuts made by Stokes’ “golfing buddy,” the police commish. One phone call later, Beckett flashes her badge and announces to the boys, “I’m baaaack!” As for the workplace dating thing, Gates’ “engagement gift” to Rick and Kate is her accommodation of it, provided they keep things professional. But since Kate’s not officially back on duty just yet, she gives her fiance a big kiss in the middle of the squad room, amid cheers.

RELATED | Castle Recruits 24 Alumna Annie Wersching

THE REVIEW | As our friends in Canada foretold, this was a very enjoyable episode, coupling a solid case with a unique (for Castle) hostage scenario. And I’ll even go along with how Gates cued Stokes to use his leverage to get Beckett back on the force. Absurdly convenient, yes, but efficient, and it solves a “problem” for poor Kate (who hasn’t been without a job since age 15!) as well as the show. The cold open, in Rick’s bedroom, was fun and made a point but, gosh, was a bit heavy handed, to the point of being sitcommy. As Stana said, we’ll eventually see how that icky living sitch shakes out. And seeing Kate go in for the kiss surely pleased the crowd out there. Final note: I’d one day like an actual Misery riff, where Rick is abducted by an insane superfan. Season 7?

Oops, almost forgot my weekly, “Ugh, Pi.” Seriously, what TV show does he think he’s on? Plus, the character does no favors for Alexis, seriously calling into question her taste in… so much.

RELATED | Castle’s Nathan Fillion Enrolls In Community

NOTABLE QUOTABLES
* “I don’t need to work? Does that mean you’re my sugar daddy?”
* “I’m kinda looking forward to spending the rest of my life with you, so don’t do anything stupid in there, OK?”
* “Not to be a stickler but murder isn’t an adjective.”
* “Cheeseburgers!” (This one literally made me LOL.)
* “She dotted the i!”

Want scoop on Castle? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. K says:

Number one fan was perfect in every way. Starting with the opening scene I loved seeing Rick and Kate just in bed together. Kate is having a hard time dealing with the fact that she just got fired from the FBI. Kate Beckett doesn’t get fired. She hasn’t been out of work since she was 15. She is an over achiever that doesn’t know what it’s like to fail. I loved the whole sugar daddy comment Beckett made. Stana delivered that line perfectly. Who the heck does PI think he is barging into Castle’s room unannounced just to ask Castle for a razor. PI is so rude. I can understand PI not knocking, but Martha and Alexis? It’s like they don’t have any respect for Castle and Beckett. I hated Alexis sarcastic tone when Beckett asked her if the gates called for her, but said that gates called for Castle.
    Throughout the episode I could tell that Beckett was scared for Castle. Anything could’ve gone wrong since he was the hostage negotiator. Right before Rick went into the office Beckett was fiddling with THE RING. She was so nervous. I loved the intimacy between castle and Beckett when she was helping him put on the writers vest. Originally Beckett hated the vest. It was adorable the way Beckett was touching the vest for no apparent reason. I think I rambled enough. All in all the episode was amazing, Beckett is back at the 12th precinct. Couldn’t be more happier.

• scooby says:

That’s not what “sarcastic” means. Gates wouldn’t call Castle’s loft for Beckett. She’d call Beckett’s cell. Alexis just had the tone of ‘nope, weird because it’s Captain Gates, but she’s calling my dad. Whodathunk?’ Perfectly understandable tone that anybody would have.

2. Christina says:

I’m in for the Season 7 superfan episode!
    Great episode, loved the Castle-Beckett dialogue. I thought more harm would’ve been done by a bullet in such close range too, but I’m willing to let it slide because I love the show too damn much.

• Just one thing says:

I’m totally with you. You’d think point-blank range would’ve fractured his sternum or something.

• RBA says:

Wow… The real Castle is back… Beckett is back at the 12th. Lanie, Martha, Alexis, Gates, and the Boys are all back too, and Richard Castle did his thing.

• Templar says:

Also, it seemed Nathan was actually there this week. He’s been seeming bored with the show lately, but in this episode he seemed enthusiastic.

• Apples says:

Generally we see Castle playing the comic-relief sidekick to Beckett’s more straightforward hero. It was nice to see that changed up this week, with cool, calm and collected Castle generally in charge all the way through the hostage scenario.

I wish we saw this side of Castle more often, and explored his depth and backstory as deeply as we’ve delved into Beckett’s.

3. Just one thing says:

Aww, I liked that opening scene in the bedroom. Sure it totally was heavy-handed, but Castle has always had a bit of a sitcom feel in its lighter episodes.
    This episode blended the drama and comedy well. It was great to see everyone have a chance to shine. (More Lanie is always a good thing, though.) And the actress who played Emma was really, really good. One of the most empathetic and believable dayplayers that Castle’s had in a while.

• Christina says:

I was thinking exactly the same thing about Emma. She did a fantastic job, and definitely contributed to just how great this episode was.

• Francine says:

Yes, the actress that played Emma was fantastic. I’m glad you mentioned that because with so many people appearing in a season as a villain or suspect, its rare to find one that really stands out. She did for me. And yes more Lanie is always good. I’ve always wondered why she isn’t shown more. I don’t follow much outside of this site, has it ever been mentioned why she doesn’t get more focus? I know she’s not meant to be a main character exactly, but I really enjoy her friendship with Beckett and her banter with Castle.

• Just one thing says:

There’s really been no explanation for why Lanie takes such a backseat. I’m not sure what that’s about, though she seems to be just as loved and appreciated as everyone else on the show. I’d say Lanie, Alexis and Martha have recently been relegated to third tier, and I’m not sure why.
        There seems to be plenty of storyline to go around, unless the network/studio believe the focus should be on Castle/Beckett first, Castle/Beckett/Ryan/Espo second, and then the rest. Kind of a mystery.

• John 1138 says:

Medical examiner is done to death around tv so it may be a side effect of her character’s position. They’re just avoiding the endless echoes of everything else with an autopsy table front and center. Bones, NCIS, CSI, CSI blah blah, Rizzoli & Isles and on and on.

4. lauri5567 says:

Favorite part? Lanie’s back! Also when Kate told the boys to go check the apartment, and they pointed out that she doesn’t actually work there.
    Can Sully and Pi get stuck someplace together? Like a train leaving New York?

5. eridapo says:

Tonight was finally the Premiere of Castle after the failed Pilot experiment in DC. The show has been missed since its so long ago season finale of “Still”, I really don’t know what those episodes in between were, but tonight was the return of Castle the show I loved.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It was no “failed pilot experiment.” Stick to facts, thank you.

• eridapo says:

LOL… Didn’t Stana jokingly referred that her scenes with Lisa Edelstein’s as warranting their very own spin-off… To quote Stana “We should make this a spin-off. If they need a spin-off, it is us two right here.”

• Emma says:

Eridapo, I always follow your posts on tvbythenumbers and have appreciated your support and optimism for Castle. I hate it that you’ve been unhappy, but hopefully things will start getting better for you. I personally have loved this season, but we all have the right to our own opinion.

• Just one thing says:

Wait… you mean the producers didn’t whip up the last two episodes in three weeks after seeing how You mean that was all planned?

• Just one thing says:

Aw, an errant click ruined the snark. Anyway, yeah… The arc was planned, ya’ll! It wasn’t a backdoor pilot; it wasn’t meant to be a longer storyline.

• Lupe says:

Totally agree with you, Matt

• terri says:

100% agreed!! it was no failed pilot experiment !! all episodes are awesome! I love the dynamic duo of Stana & Lisa – great chemistry! – and no doubts that whoever guest on this show they feel at ease – as the stars especially Stana is very welcoming – she let them shine – and read it somewhere that Lisa E. said, Stana is one of the stars of the show but she doesn’ act like one! she treats everybody with respect! Love Stana!

• Katherine says:

Dude, some of us liked the DC episodes. It was nice to change things up and great for character development

• Becks says:

Thank you! finally someone else who appreciated that the DC episodes for their intended function: A wake-up call for Caskett. You got the sense that by the end of s5 that both parties were taking their relationship for granted and not putting in the work needed. DC made them realise that relationships are just as much work in the middle as at the beginning.

• Apples says:

Yes, they had an intended purpose in terms of relationship and character development. That didn’t mean they weren’t somewhat tedious and lacking in meta terms. Veering away from the traditional Castle formula is not something the writing team does well.

I’m more than happy to see the pairing work through their relationships issues. But I also want to see them work crimes, bicker sexily, banter with Ryan and Espo and generally just have fun watching the show. The DC arc wasn’t fun.

• scooby says:

It wasn’t fun for you. It was fun for other people. It’s a dramedy not a comedy and the commitment to victims means it’s not all gonna be quirky and breezy. Some things are going to be more serious. The writing team did it well, and it advanced their characters in a way that was true to them. Beckett didn’t lose her job over anything other than personal integrity and looking out for the victim. Castle moved forward in his support and commitment to Beckett growing professionally. Rather sweet how they got stronger. That said, bickering sexily is easier when Kate can actually talk about the case. That’s one reason you knew it was super temporary. The two of them always use casework as foreplay. Everybody knows how important that is. ;)

• Apples says:

@Scooby, well of course I’m only speaking for myself.

The drama-heavy episodes are especially where the show falters, for me personally. The two-parters in every season (bar Tick, Tick, Tick/Boom in Season 2) have been amongst the poorer eps of the season simply because they feel out of sync with the tone of the show. Small moments of drama in otherwise light-hearted episodes (like the Gates-McCord-Beckett argument last week) work much better.

I know the DC arc was inevitably going to end. I was waiting for it to. But I disagree that it was handled well by the writers. I thought it was clunky, and about as subtle as a sledgehammer.

I love the show, but I don’t think it is immune to criticism when it deserves it.

• Viv says:

I thought episode 1 and 3 were very funny (proposal scene, castle being caught on the golf course, car accident, “nod once or nod twice” ?). Just number 2 that was serious because Castle was dying (and wasn’t allowed to get out of the HQ).
            Actually, I think Tick, tick, tick is one of the funniest episodes! That whole scene in the car with Beckett and Jordan (“he touches things”, “it’s the most sexless relationship since my second wife”) and the morning after (“pancakes is a eadible way of saying thank you for last night”). Hahahaha.
            Loved ep 4! Good laughs, good romance, a case that I actually cared for.
            Can’t wait for the rest of the season!

• Mary says:

Join me to the ones who liked the DC arc!:)

• Christina says:

I really enjoyed the DC arc as well, particularly because I knew it was an arc. We always knew it was temporary, so we were free to enjoy the deviation and the developments that came with it.

• Joining you and others who liked or even loved DC arc :) I’m keeping my fingers and toes crossed that we’re going to see Agent McCord again in the future. Lisa and Stana were great together in these episodes :)

• Lupe says:

I liked the DC episodes,too. It really made sense what the writers did, and I think they were great

• Really says:

The show I love and loved is still there and always has been, just because you didn’t like what happened after Still it doesn’t mean some other people did or got to enjoy Beckett going to DC.

• Jay says:

This^ I join the DC team as well :)

• Flick says:

Yes! I’m also all for the DC arc and to Viv, I totally agree with you. Tick Tick Tick and Boom is my favourite 2 parter – so so many funny scenes and who doesn’t love Agent Shaw right? Actually Boom was the first episode I had ever seen on Castle (on TV one night) and I have been hooked since. Loving this season so so much!

6. leigh says:

Great episode! I will never think of cheeseburgers the same way again.

7. James D says:

outstanding episode even with the deus ex machina moment of Kate getting her job back but like Matt said it solved a problem. for me personally this is turning into the best season of Castle so far. its a long year so that could change quickly but so far so good. Cheeseburgers!! :)

8. c-mo says:

Favorite part? Seeing Kate actually wearing her ring on her finger instead of around her neck! Also loved that they got to kiss at the 12th…finally!

• Christina says:

I definitely enjoyed the fact that she was actually wearing the ring too!

• Alan says:

well its understandable that she wasnt wearing the ring in previous episodes and she probably wont be wearing it anytime she is on the job because if she had to chase down a suspect and potentially hit them then she could do a lot of damage with a piece of jewelry like that. in fact im fairly certain that its in the regulation that cops cant wear any jewelry on duty.

9. TaMara says:

Ok, did anyone else think of Dr. Horrible when Rick came to and said Cheeseburgers?! Or am I the only geeky one who thought of him finishing the last note of his song when he came to at the homeless shelter dedication.

Great episode and the actress who played Emma was terrific.

10. Kristine S. says:

This is the Castle episode that I’ve been waiting for! The gang’s all together again. Pi (aka Jar Jar Binks) didn’t bother me before but he’s starting to bug me now. Please go away. It makes Alexis look lie a fool and she’s not.

• TaMara says:

Not only stupid, but really taking screen time away from her. We’ve seen more of Jar-Jar Pi then we’ve seen of her.

• Maria says:

Pi showing up week after week on this show is like…well, you know when you see a really great-looking man (or woman) with gorgeous hair, a nice face, and a stunning outfit? And then the person smiles and they’ve got spinach in their teeth? Yeah…Pi is like that spinach. Kinda ruins everything.

11. Francine says:

I really enjoyed this episode! A few thoughts- the Pi situation needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. I cannot buy Castle letting this kid act as though he owns the place much longer. I really hope this doesn’t continue to get dragged out because its getting rather unbelievable to watch. I was also under the impression that Kate wouldn’t officially be back in the NYPD right away (though I’m not sure if I read that somewhere or just thought that in my own mind). I’m not complaining though as the show does work best when they’re all together. I just thought she would maybe unofficially help out for a few eps before coming back. But it was still an enjoyable episode.

• Christina says:

SPOILER
      I read a recent article on TV guide (Kecks Exclusives) that essentially guarantees they’re going to address it. Don’t recall which episode, but Alexis and Pi seemingly isn’t going away in at least the next few eps. I think. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, since he bothers me too. Bring back that hot music teacher!

• Francine says:

Thanks Christina! I’ll have to search and check out that article. As long as its addressed eventually I can live with it. I enjoy the show far too much to let one plotline ruin it for me.

• Christina says:

It was some sort of episode first-look. Short one, but interesting nevertheless! Completely agree with you though – no single plot line can ruin it for me.

• Apples says:

Episode 6×07 I believe. Called ‘Like Father, Like Daughter’, focuses on Alexis trying to help an inmate on death row and roping in Castle for help. Will feature lots of Castle-Alexis moments and essentially focus on fixing their relationship, I’m guessing.

• Just one thing says:

I totally get what you mean about the job scenario. I would’ve liked a bit more of an explanation about Beckett’s frame of mind: Why did she run the risk of getting fired? Was it really much of a shock that she was? What did she think of her job in D.C.? Why is the NYPD a better fit for her after all?
      All of those answers are left in the air for us to guess. I’ve learned to just accept the fact that they tend to gloss over things in a big way on this show, leaving behind some cool character development potential. But when they *don’t* address things like this in a clear way, it just makes their creative choices like the D.C. storyline feel all the more plot-pointy and shallow — even if they were clearly mapped out.
      Anyway, the show always stretches credulity (its fanciful take is part of its charm; “either you’re in or you’re out” on that one). But I think they would have run a far greater risk had they stretched it so that two civilians, Castle and Beckett, unofficially assisted the cops in their investigations. Something about that just wouldn’t fly, I think. After all, they’re already pushing it with Castle. :P

• scooby says:

Well, it’s rather obvious. She ran the risk of being fired because sure it’s classified info but the victim was more important than the grey area. That was clear and has been part of her story for years. They’ve already developed it and they continue to. It doesn’t need to be more on the nose. It was a shock probably because she thought she’d been careful with the leak but doesn’t realize all the ways she’s capable of being monitored at that level. The NYPD isn’t gonna be able to track that down without time, effort, and money which they’d rather spend on doing their jobs. We don’t know how she leaked it, but I’m guessing a phone call was related. So basically they got hold of her phone records or threatened the press to reveal a source. She made it clear what she thought of her job in DC (worthwhile, difficult to adjust, not a fan of the grey area or being away from Castle so much), what did you need that we didn’t get? The victim thing was the reason the NYPD was a better fit. It wasn’t up in the air at all. I don’t think that constitutes a character development option at all. If anything, doing much more with it would be ham fisted. I thought it was an interesting parallel how Castle’s been in the precinct thanks to ‘who you know’ maneuvers and this time Kate was the one who got to pull that.

• Just one thing says:

I agree with you on many accounts, but I still feel like some of it was contrived without directly exploring some of Beckett’s mindset behind her decision to take the job and why the NYPD is where she is meant to be. All the glorious subtext aside, without even a throwaway line after her shock (Really? Knowing how they track people, why was she shocked?) would have given clear insight into her frame of mind.
          Otherwise, from a character perspective, it can be interpreted that the NYPD was second choice, merely a fallback plan. Even if we “know “that it’s not, and that she’s happiest there.
          And from a story perspective, it just seems like the writers did what they had to do to conveniently restore the show’s formula in NYC.
          I obviously love the show, but I truly feel like it can do even better (subjective, I know). Even look at the manipulative way they put Castle in danger this season. In one episode, his life is threatened and it’s quite dire. Two episodes later, his life is threatened and it’s used for comedy. And, really, a shot that close and a toxin that scary should have more effect on the guy.
          I guess part of that is what makes the show appealing to audiences, though. The duality of drama and comedy. Can’t fault them for that.

• Kim says:

JOT, I totally agree with you. And since my original comment disappeared into the ether, I’m going to try this again. And be less wordy this time around. I would’ve preferred a bit more insight into Kate’s mindset about tipping off the press too. More than Beckett’s line about having not been jobless since she was fifteen. To me, that made it seem like she was wondering what she’s going to do next, not “who am I now (without either job that defined me)?” I’m not saying Beckett needed to sit down with Castle and hash out every single minute of her time in DC on the job or every single thought that ran through her mind before tipping off the press. But something that explains why. Did she sabotage herself, not at all caring about the consequences? Or did she think it would just be another slap on the wrist like it always was with the NYPD, while trying to protect Svetlana? I would’ve liked to know the answer. And the answer would’ve officially closed up the DC arc. No one would be left wondering. I don’t think the NYPD is second best, either. It was the job she was always meant to do and she’s darn good at it. If the writers want to move one, that’s ok with me. I would prefer not to see Beckett second guess herself about tipping off the press or wondering “what if”, assuming that would be the alternative to showing her mindset. And yes, this is one of those times where the show could be better. And I love the show. I’m a big fan. But maybe there are times when instead of the subtext (and I do love the subtext), they just come out and answer the questions. I’m not sure that made sense. I tried to remember what I wrote the first time. Oh, and on a side note: Pi needs to go. Far away. The sooner the better. Because in hating his character, I’m starting to hate Alexis by proxy. And I didn’t really like her all that much to begin with. Sorry. Just had to get that out. :)

• Just one thing says:

@Kim: “I would’ve preferred a bit more insight into Kate’s mindset about tipping off the press too. More than Beckett’s line about having not been jobless since she was fifteen. To me, that made it seem like she was wondering what she’s going to do next, not “who am I now (without either job that defined me)?” I’m not saying Beckett needed to sit down with Castle and hash out every single minute of her time in DC on the job or every single thought that ran through her mind before tipping off the press. But something that explains why. Did she sabotage herself, not at all caring about the consequences? Or did she think it would just be another slap on the wrist like it always was with the NYPD, while trying to protect Svetlana? I would’ve liked to know the answer. And the answer would’ve officially closed up the DC arc.”
            Yes. All of this. Yes. The fact that she’s worked since she was 15 was not a shocker to me, and confirmed the notion that Beckett is a job-oriented person. Great. But really? No introspection about the federal post or why she’s not all that heart-broken? Because, it honestly just seemed like she was freaked out to not have a job anymore, not because she lost a prime career position.
            I don’t need to be handheld from storyline to storyline or anything, but the unanswered questions (in a negligent way, not a dramatic mystery sort of way) kind of put a damper on a storyline I didn’t have any problems with when it aired. But they summarily dumped Agent McCord (super abruptly), dumped the agency, dumped the DC apartment and all of those characters like they didn’t ever really matter in the grand scheme of things; like they served their meager purpose and the show was back on track, so no more time needed to be devoted to them.
            It’s just annoying, because it makes the entire DC plot feel almost pointless. Sure, it tested Castle/Beckett a little bit, but not really. Castle’s a good guy. Was there really any doubt that he’d be supportive of or flexible with Beckett on this issue? Other than that, it ultimately confirmed that Beckett is talented at her job and works best with Castle by her side. Again… are those really shockers?
            Castle is a great, addictive, fun show. People seem to enjoy its lighter fare, however I really enjoy the more dramatic, introspective aspects of the show. I think from now on I’m just going to turn off that part of my brain that wants deeper character exploration, and enjoy the ride for what it is. :-)

• Kim says:

JOT, I’m not sure you’ll see this, but I’m going to write it anyway. In writing that comment twice, I wasn’t sure if I explained myself well enough the second time. Luckily, you understood what I was saying. I got the feeling that though she was upset about being fired somewhere down deep, that mostly she was bored. I mean, Beckett isn’t a stay-at-home-and-watch-soap-operas-while-eating-cookies kind of woman. She likes working. Idle hands and all of that. In that scene it felt like she was more frustrated about not working at all (being bored) and not about trying to figure out who see is without either job (both of which were huge parts of who she was). I’m with you. I don’t need to have my hand held through the storytelling, either. And while subtext is a great thing, it’s not always the best choice for a specific scene. Sometimes things should be blatantly spelled out for the audience. I don’t need a monologue or soliloquy explaining what the character is thinking or feeling. A line or two of dialogue is sufficient. Especially with actors/actresses that are superb with facial expressions. I liked the DC arc for a couple of reasons. I really liked watching Beckett fail. Well, not fail. But she was so used to being the best in NY. Everyone sang her praises (youngest woman to make detective in the NYPD, stellar close rate, how great she is in the box, etc.). I enjoyed watching her struggle and stumble, botching training exercises, getting a dressing down from her superiors. Seeing her vulnerable in her professional life was really nice, in my opinion. For me, the DC arc was about showing growth. Both Castle and Beckett must have said, “we’ll fix it/we’ll figure it out” four times during the season premiere alone. I don’t think either of them said that during the whole of last season. When Castle said during his proposal that he was willing to work things out with her if she was willing to do the same, it would’ve been easy to not pick up that thread. But they did and I loved them for it. They’re talking about working things out, having the conversations I know I wish they would’ve had at times last season. Seeing the growth was refreshing. Seeing them settled and stronger was wonderful. I never doubted Castle would be supportive. Things were going to be difficult with them geographically apart. And watching that unfold was interesting. Beckett seems to bounce back from tough cases faster in NY. Castle is there with a glass of wine and a cute story. The boys and Lanie are there for drinks and laughs. That scene in the season premiere where Beckett gets home from the office and starts changing in the bathroom, showed how lonely she was. How she wasn’t…Beckett. The distance showed many things. The new strength in their relationship, how much they’ve grown in communicating with each other, how much they’re trying, how they’re better with each other. For me it more about seeing the changes and all the things I was hoping would happen last season. But I get where you’re coming from. That’s just how I see things. I do agree that McCord was dismissed rather abruptly. The whole arc was pretty quick. It needed to be, though, in order to keep viewers. People were not going to hang around for half a season spent in DC. I liked the arc and I don’t think I would have. I love the balance between the lighthearted and the serious. I enjoy not knowing what I’m going to feel from one scene to the next. And the cast does the humor and the serious so very well. It’s a fun show to watch and it’s good at being true to the characters and the story. :)

12. Mari says:

I thought his safe word was apple!

13. Apples says:

Loved the ep, glad we’re over the DC arc and hitting our regular Castle stride now. Love how in-love Beckett and Castle are, and how naturally Fillion and Katic play that while maintaining the comedy and the banter. Real credit to the writing team.

Castle was so cool, calm and collected during the hostage situation, and good to see a friendly dynamic between Gates and Beckett. Would be great to see Gates become a mentor for Beckett.

Improving every episode this season, keep going Marlowe and co!

• JS says:

This was a great episode with all of the things I like. I did not like the DC story arc because it takes away from the great interaction between Ryan, Esposito, Castle and Beckett . I also liked that Graves is softening a bit too. I know that this Pi thing is in direct relation to Beckett and Castle but I would like it to go away too. Overall a great episode with the humor and relationship building that I like.

14. DarkDefender says:

I enjoyed the episode a lot. Lanie is back! Beckett is back at the 12th! Gates likes Castle! And Pi needs to go!
    ~~
    The Caskett moments were great, Kate fussing over Castle’s vest, fiddling with her ring.. Them both answering “No” simultaneously when Alexis asks if it is a house meeting… I really wished no one barged in on them.. I was totally digging where the whole “does that make you my sugar daddy..” Conversation was going.. ;)

• Apples says:

Cockblocking of intimate Caskett moments is a long and proud tradition on the show, tbf.

• DarkDefender says:

Tis true, apples… But it doesn’t make me want to see them actually NOT get interrupted, just once.. And let us get the payoff for all that amazing foreplay.

• Apples says:

Ehh, I’m quite happy to see the sexy stuff come in via subtle asides and innuendoes. Leave the scorching scenes for the likes of the soapier Scandal. I much prefer the intimate domestic moments like when Beckett was helping do up Castle’s vest, or they were simply lying together on the couch last episode.

That’s what sells the believability and the interest in the pairing to me. One of the few TV couples that work better as a couple than they did in their UST/Will-they-won’t-they phase…

• c-mo says:

I agree with you completely!

• DarkDefender says:

I’m totally down with the subtext, innnuendo and asides… But maybe once a season we get just a little follow through.. It is what made “Always” people’s episode of the series.

• Just one thing says:

The simultaneous “No,” especially with Kate under the blankets, was really funny. The pacing of that scene was fun, and actually a bit longer than is typical for Castle. I’m a sucker for zany ensemble scenes.

15. Jaimeson says:

This espoide was so good to see the 12th precinct all back together. I thought that the D.C. espiodes were neat but it just didn’t felt like the Castle I’ve come to know and love. I agree that the Pie situation has to get taken of sooner than later please. At least he didn’t have much screen time on this one tonight. Also love the warmth and humor betweenBecckett and Castle. Especially the opening bedroom scene. It was unbelievable

16. lame says:

Classic Castle episode, everything we’ve become accustom to with the new dynamic of Kate in the loft as the fiance, nicely developed, very natural and organic. Now please show us why the level headed Alexis has gone completely off the rails with JarJar and redeem her status in our eyes before permanent damage is done to her character. Did she acquired dengue fever in the jungles of Costa Rica???? Her transformation has been to radical to fast without explanation.

17. Mary says:

Really loved this episode! I enjoyed the DC episodes, but feels good having the classic Castle back! A great case (Alicia Lagano was amazing), the whole team helping, the classic banter!
    PI? From what I read, I don´t think he´ll be leaving soon and believe he´s here for some reason…maybe making him so, so annoying? disrespectful? is in order we don´t miss him when he leaves?!:)
    Well, I liked him calling Kate “Mrs. C. to be”!:)

18. ljd213 says:

Great change of pace episode that even included a Lanie sighting. (That’s worth a mention, Matt). Get rid of “Pi” and soon, no offense to the actor. I really liked this one, original and creative.

19. Astrid says:

Great episode! Certainly gonna rewatch it a couple of times.

20. Maria says:

Favorite quote…Castle: Dude, they’re doughnuts. Either you’re in or you’re out.

21. Lisa says:

I always love Terrence Winter written episodes and this was no exception. Great job! CHEESEBURGERS!!!!

22. Dory says:

GREAT EP. I never cared much for the Alexis role but she is important to the structure of the show. She isn’t going anywhere. Pi DISGUSTING.

23. I loved the episode ! Kate helping Castle with the vest was just ooh so cute !
    One thing though, I don’t understant Pi’s character.. it is not so…Alexis ! or is it as Beckett told Castle once : the good girl are those who usually do the worse.. is Alexis punishing her dad.. !?

24. gaby6034 says:

After a long day of hard work it is nice to end the day with a smile, thanks Castle for being on my tv every Monday !!

25. jennifer says:

Other favorite quote: ‘Dude, they’re donuts you’re either in or you’re out.’
    Also I don’t know if anyone else noticed, but I got the impression from the first few episodes of the season featuring Beckett’s time in DC that she didn’t like all of the grey areas that surrounded her job. Here is a detective who was used to dealing in cold hard facts and closing cases soundly and to get a promotion to the ‘big time’ so to speak and find out that things weren’t all black and white bothered her I think. I think she likes the idea of being back with the 12th and back to hard facts and closed cases.

26. Kelly says:

I don’t know how Castle accepts PI. If I was him I would have kick the guy out right away. It’s not normal you let a strange dude live in your father’s house without telling him. Alexis has starting to become a brat especially since before the double episode last season.
    I know if I would have let a strange guy live with me when I was still living in my parents house. My father would have thrown the guy and me out.

• DarkDefender says:

I think it is the same reason we only saw “sidekick” Rick in season 5.. Castle’s insecurities lead him to not confront the women in his life, cause he fears he will push them away. It’s why now we have secure engaged Rick being honest with Kate, but not with Alexis.. Give it time. I think we will get what we want (stronger dad/daughter bond and no more Pi),

27. Susan says:

Excellent episode and the guest actress was wonderful! I hope that they stay with the case-of-the-week from now on. Not really fond of the long story arcs…….

28. I haven’t thought Alexis had especially good sense for quite some time now.
    The Pi thing just confirms that she’s brainless. Time for her to go away, I think.

• lauri5567 says:

In earlier seasons, Alexis and Castle seemed aware and skeptical of people wanting to mooch off of them (exceptions being Martha and Meredith, who I guess get by with being their mothers) Pi is a freeloader – he can’t even by his own razors, so why would Alexis not see that?
      I can see her wanting to rebel or being unhappy her father didn’t tell her he was going to propose, but I would expect a different type of guy.

• Dave says:

Like most of the fans here I have been watching this show since day 1. This is the first time that I’ve ever heard that Ricks favorite food is cheeseburgers! I was under the impression that his favorite food was a hotdog or two. Maybe I’m wrong about that.

I watched this ep and loved every second of it as I always do. I love the show and all the charectors unlike some of the fans. I’m still having a problem with the relationship part. To me they still don’t seem like a real couple. It’s like they’re going through the motions but something is missing. What I’m talking about is kissing at appropriate times when I think they should. For example. When they were in bed he made her laugh. That would have been a good time for a little smack. When he was getting ready to go in to negotiate and they wre outside talking just before he left Kate to go inside a little smooch. When he was shot and everyone rushed in with her coming in behind and running up to him as he lay on the floor maybe a little peck when he came too would have been great. The writers need to be a little more sensitive to that.

Now onto the Pi situation. I think that there is more to Pi than what we are being lead to believe by AWM. I think
        AWM has plans for Pi other than just Jar Jar Binks. And I also think Senator Bracken is involved. This is all just speculation on my part of course and I hope Pi is gone by next episode. But I like this guy. I think he’s funny. And I like that he annoys Rick to no end. Rick can be annoying sometimes as well as we all know. But I have a bad feeling about Pi and why he’s really there ingratiating himself with everyone. Alexis may have brought home 3XK! Or a professional killer. I’m keeping my eye on Pi. There’s something sinister about him. He’s up to no good! AM does not do this sort of thing for nothing.

• Barb says:

Methinks it’s the writers can’t think of anything interesting for Alexis (why isn’t she back in college) so we are left with this silly Pi stuff.

29. Teri says:

Such great entertainment! Castle is a classy show with fantastic everything. I have to admit I did chuckle when PI walked in the bedroom…he is just so not Alexis, but that is what they are trying to portray. She is coming out of her perfect shell. Lanie needs more airtime, especially with Beckett!

30. Becca says:

The banter between C & B was on fire last night, loved it! “So you’re my sugar daddy?” :) I agree that the opener was a little heavy handed, but that didn’t stop me from smiling through the whole scene. I agree that the actress who played Emma was fantastic and a great match for NF. Sweet, if predictable ending. As much as I liked the D.C. story line, it feels good to have every one back together again!

31. BrianR says:

I would have liked Kate to live in Castle’s world for at east one or two episodes. Getting glammed up for society things and maybe going with him fro a press tour. Plus have her so down from getting fired she overcompensates with sexy lingerie and lots of sex that make him say please no more.

32. knd says:

Every time I see Pi I literally go ugh he’s still here??? He needs to go ASAP.

33. barbara says:

wow great episode!!!!! castle did great job and glad its back to newyork. wasn’t thrilled with dc arc. how useless is pi and heard alexis will get her own place with pi what is she thinking what happened to ashley??

34. John Moshier says:

Its like we woke one morning and had a dream we were in the fbi and then its like it never happened good episode

35. Phoebe says:

I loved this episode. I found myself really invested in trying to discover who the killer was. Some other episodes it kind of flies over my head but this one was easy to follow, and fun.

36. Mary says:

It was a very good episode, everyone was at the top of their game, Alicia and Nathan’s interaction was good too. Castle and Beckett are great, I think the balance has been found. This sounds like a very promising season.

37. Stephanie says:

If Pi isn’t working for Senator Bracken, there’s no reason for him to be involved — at all — on this show.

• DarkDefender says:

Beckett saved Bracken’s life. He is gonna leave her alone. She may eventually find away to get him Indicted for something, but he’s not gonna go after her or Castle.. No way Pi is connected to him. He is more likely a device to allow Alexis to evolve from her characters studious and responsible side to being more like her dad.. Which makes sense because she had a life altering experience (kidnapping) and she went off to confront her fears in Costa Rica. Finding a person like Pi, who is the exact opposite of her.. Allows her character to come out on the otherside of her life changing event a little less stoic, more light hearted and balanced which is great character development.

• DarkDefender says:

And I might add… It is exactly how Castle lightened up Beckett. The Pi/Alexis arc is essentially the flip of Castle and Beckett (seasons 1-3).. Except Alexis will grow and move on from Pi, eventually.

• Stephanie says:

Rick has reeming qualities. He’s a talented author, good father to Alexis and son to Martha, philanthropist and upstanding business owner.

What is Pi? A loafer with no job (that we know of), no skills (beyond eating fruit) and a voice so grating, I wish I could punch his life in the face.

I get it, Alexis needs to grow as a character, but I don’t see how anything beyond him being a demon in the sack ranks him to stay in her sphere.

The Senator Bracken idea is the only thing that makes sense. Beckett might have saved his life but she still holds keys to his potential downfall. Pi’s planted to seduce Alexis, worms his way in with Castle and then when things seem almost perfect, tries to kill Beckett.

• Dory says:

That sounds really interesting. Makes sense. He has to be there for some other reason the just to be a pain in the butt.

• DarkDefender says:

Or maybe he is secretly rich.. But plays the penniless fool to weed out people after his money. There are easier ways to take out Beckett & Castle… Without dragging us viewers down with them.

My money is on Pi as the secretly rich genius…

38. Nevertheless, a remote commence up program will allow you
    to begin your automobile from the hopuse whgich is specifically important in the course
    of the colder months. There are a number of
    online sites selling auto keyless entry remotes and remote covers.
    He is usually the one who will appraise the customer’s trade-in.