Video: Grey's Anatomy's Sandra Oh Talks 'Truthful' Happy Ending For 'Crowen' and Possible Deadly Exit For Cristina: 'I Want Her to Live'

Get More: Interviews, Video

Sandra Oh Grey's AnatomyHow’s this for a crazy stat: During my 10-plus years covering the Grey’s Anatomy beat, I have interviewed Sandra Oh a total of zero times.

Well, my Oh-less streak was broken earlier this week when the actress — in the Big Apple to talk up the show’s 200th episode as well as her looming (and yes, dreaded) departure — dropped by TVLine’s headquarters for a long-overdue Q&A.

Turns out she was totally worth the wait.

PHOTOS | Grey’s Anatomy‘s Cristina Quandary: 4 (Mostly) Plausible Exit Scenarios For Cristina

Oh more than delivered the goods during our six-minute chat, offering her happy ending-ish hopes for Cristina and Owen, explaining why Cristina passing the baton to Emma last night was as hard for her as it was for her alter ego (“It hurts to even talk about it”), and revealing why she does not want to be killed off (hint: it involves a possible return to Grey‘s for the eventual series finale).

Press PLAY below for an interview that Oh says is definitely not part of the Cristina Yang Farewell Tour, then share your hopes for the character’s exit.

Comments (37)

• Love this woman, completely. I agree with her – Cristina should not exit via Shonda’s old standby “let’s kill people”! approach. I want to see her happy and I think most fans do as well.

Comment by Annie – October 11, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A remarkable interview and congratulations on letting Sandra take the lead and just talk about her craft and her feelings on leaving.

Comment by Shar – October 11, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh!! I love this woman and I am going to miss her so much. I hope she doesn’t die because I will like to see her come back at the end so Cristina can be with Owen. That being said, I cant wait to see her outside Greys.

Comment by Mimi – October 11, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terrific interview with Sandra Oh, Michael. Especially love listening to her thoughts about her character Cristina, Crowen, and Kevin McKidd. They’re a great acting duo.

Comment by Holly – October 11, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Sandra Oh.

Comment by Giulia – October 11, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terrific interview. She was very articulate and genuine and you can see that her character of Christina means so much to her. Kudos to her for bringing so many layers to Christina.

Comment by Laurie – October 11, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best Sandra Oh interview ever! She is so passionate about her character genuinely and it shows! I absolutely adore her and her character.. I just hope Shonda gives her a bittersweet (it can’t be happy as we will be losing Yang) ending :)

Comment by Dax – October 11, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great interview. I really love Sandra is doing more press for Grey’s than she has done since the first season of the show. It is nice to hear her perspective and how hard it will be to leave her relationships with friends on the show and her character Cristina Yang at the end of the season. Thank you for the lovely interview Ausiello :)

Comment by Jenna – October 11, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a hard time imagining any scenario in which Cristina leaves Seattle without Meridith.She basically came back to be close again and to have status again.

Comment by Shaun – October 11, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love her and you did a great job Michael…great listener which let her really reveal herself.

Comment by TaMara – October 11, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • absolutely love sandra and her partnership with kevin. will be so so sad when she leaves because there will be no more cristina and crowen. however yes, hope shonda doesn’t kill her off and she can return to be with owen in the end! watching owen with someone else right now hurts like hell though, can’t even watch it.

Comment by gead – October 11, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sandra is the best. Cristina will remain one of the best characters ever and if she’s open to come for the very end of Grey’s, I hope it’ll be a scene between Cristina and Mer because, no matter what happens, they are the core of Grey’s.

Comment by asd123 – October 11, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beautiful, intelligent & talented woman. Love her

Comment by ddutchie88 – October 11, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Such a great interview. I don’t watch GA regularly like I did in the beginning, but when I do watch now, I watch for her. She’s amazing, and I will definitely look forward to seeing her in other things.

Comment by mandy – October 11, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I hate to see her leave Grey’s, I think it would be awesome if Sandra Oh was on Scandal. She would be amazing on that show.

Comment by Terry – October 11, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want her to live, too:)

Comment by Mary – October 11, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They better not kill her. Even if it runs another 6 years like ER, I want her to be a part of the final episode- the way that two-parter managed to once again connect the doctors in Chicago with the ones that had already left the show.

Comment by Alice – October 11, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Shonda would listen to you, honey.It’s gonna get dirtier than Lexie’s death .Like she’d be kidnapped by a serial killer and her body cut in little pieces.

Comment by Sidney.B – October 11, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love the way she talks and uses her hands.

Comment by yk – October 11, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic interview! I hope she continues to do well in her career after Grey’s!

Comment by Jules – October 11, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate Shane!

Too bad Sandra decided to leave Grey’s Anatomy. :-(

Comment by Caro – October 11, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sandra Oh is just magnificent. So classy and articulate. I can’t imagine Greys without her. It was incredibly thoughtful of her to give everyone enough time to process her exit. A benefit we didn’t have with Lexie, Izzie or Mark. My only objection is to Shane somehow being the person to carry Cristina’s torch. No way. He’s no Cristina Yang. And as far as the 200th episode, it was underwhelming at best. So much wasted potential. I can’t believe that Shonda entrusted this episode to Austin Guzman, the man-child. Just another sign that now for her is all about Scandal. I would have thought she would have taken greater care with this episode. Oh well. Still, Sandra Oh is fantastic. Great interview.

Comment by Babygate – October 11, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …if it isn’t Owen I don’t know who it would be…

Please all the actors tend to oversell their love stories as if…
    If she truly loved him that much she would never leave him and would do everything in her power to keep him, including a child. What she loves the way the actress is trying to sell, is surgery. And the same for Owen. If he loved her above everything like he adores to shout out to the for winds, he wouldn’t have agreed to move on to something he supposedly loves less. So ridiculous.
    Very sad to see her go. But we know as much as she, that their story never had legs to walk.

Comment by Ninna – October 11, 2013 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Having a baby you don’t in any way want in order to keep a man is the very definition of a bad idea.

Comment by Kat – November 2, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Irritated with Shonda & ABC for not knowing that they need to wrap up Grey’s. I love the show but bloating the series with tons of new cast additions and combined with Sandra Oh’s departure, I too will be done at the end of the season. Even ER was a pale shadow of its former self at the end.

Comment by Will – October 11, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, so they “need” to wrap up the show because that’s your opinion? Just stop watching now since you hate it that much. Go do something you enjoy. It’s much more pleasant than whining.

Comment by Chris – October 12, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a brilliant interview. Nice job Michael for just letting her talk things out. She is just beautiful.

Comment by JD – October 11, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cristina has been the greatest character on Grey’s from the start, she has grown so much these years, it would be a waste and the most cruel thing if they killed her off. I don’t know how I’ll feel after she leaves, I can take all the departures, deaths and couples breaking up but I don’t know if can stand not seeing Meredith and Cristina’s incredible chemistry anymore.

Comment by H.C. – October 11, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing interview, I love Sandra so much. No matter what way Shonda decides to deal with Cristina’s departure, I know I’m going to cry so much during her last episode.

Comment by erin – October 11, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brilliant interview. She is an incredible actress and incredible person. Her final episode is going to be sad it really is but i really hope Shonda lets her live so when, like she said the show comes to a close she will be able to come back for that.

Comment by greysfan – October 12, 2013 02:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cristina’s happy ending better NOT be with Owen. I can’t stand him.

Comment by Jill – October 12, 2013 02:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word.

Comment by Maria – October 12, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN TO THAT THEY BETTER BRING BACK BURKE

Comment by nadine – March 26, 2014 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meredith is Yin. Christina is Yang. There’s no Grey’s after that.

Comment by Hometown Heroes (@theheromovie) – October 12, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gosh I love her.

Comment by LeAnn – October 17, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Cristina. The chemistry between Mer and Cristina friendship is part of the greatest things of this attractiveness drama. No matter how bad their argument goes, their friendship will not change a bit.
    If it’s not Owen, there’s nobody else for Cristina. And if it’s not Cristina, there’s nobody else for Owen in this world. They are perfect for each other. I can’t see why Shonda would kill-off such an important character for such a successful story!!

Comment by bb – February 28, 2014 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post