New Spoiler Alert!: Castle Preview, Coven Review and Scandal's Operation Remington Revealed?!

blog_spoiler_10.10.13Take “arresting” beauty Stana Katic, add TVLine’s roving (and sharp-dressed) reporter Matt Mitovich, and you get a Spoiler Alert! well-armed with Castle scoop.

RELATED | Spoilers on Glee, Nashville, Arrow, Bones, Castle, Walking Dead, HIMYM and More in Ask Ausiello

When not (trying not to look like he’s) flirting with Katic, Matt gets her to open up about Beckett’s career options (or lack thereof) and divulge the next obstacle in Caskett’s relationship. Then, back at TVLine HQ, he and Michael Ausiello review the season premieres of American Horror Story: Coven and Scandal (what is Operation Remington?) and analyze Homeland’s possible “F.U. to fans.”

Finally, Aus takes a moment to do something he so rarely does that we can’t recall him ever doing it. Big Bang Theory fans, you’ll especially appreciate it. Press PLAY, and you’ll soon understand why.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Spoilers, Video

1. Maria says:

Thanks so much for interviewing Castle’s beautiful Stana Katic. First of all…dipping into the shallow end of the pool here…her hair looks gorgeous! Secondly, as far as Alexis “adjusting” to Rick and Kate’s relationship, little princess needs to grow up and deal with it, get back to studying at that expensive college daddy is paying for, and act like the over-18 legal adult she supposedly is.

• Ana says:

At least she is 18 – 19 years old and her behaviour it is understandable not like kate who has 32? and until last season acts like a teenage girl…

• Just one thing says:

Please explain how Kate acted like a teenage girl until last season.

• Ana says:

I don’t think I have to explain, watch the episodes, on the top of my head.

“The Third Man” date, part of the “Demming arc”, “The Dead Pool”, “Eye of the Beholder”, season 4 two-part, “The Limey” first conversation with laney, last scene in “Cloudy with a Chance of Murder”, “The Squab and the Quail”, etc, etc… and the one that will probably be coming…

• Ana says:

“Oh. Okay. 7-8 episodes out of 110, where Kate apparently demonstrated youthful tendencies that you didn’t like. Not a bad percentage really…” don’t be sensitive then…

• Just one thing says:

lulz Okay. I was simply seeking clarification before debating/conversing. But whatever. Have a nice day!

• Really says:

Seriously?

• madhatter360 says:

For all you know she and Kate will be getting along great, and Castle will be freaking out over it because he doesn’t know what it means. Maybe he’ll be worried because he doesn’t know if Alexis sees Kate as an authority figure or a friend, and he isn’t sure how he wants her to act towards Kate, so he’ll send weird mixed messages to Alexis.

• Apples says:

Given the fairly turbulent relationship between Castle and Beckett for YEARS before it stabilized relatively recently, it is hardly surprising that Alexis is somewhat standoffish towards her. She wants to see her dad happy, but she also doesn’t want to see him get hurt. Beckett is both sides of the coin.

I actually think the writers are handling Alexis relatively deftly and realistically (as a kid of a divorced parent who lived through similar times myself).

• Just one thing says:

Eh, I don’t know. It’s been vaguely hinted at since Kate’s shooting back in 2011, but I’m not crazy with how they handled that aspect of the dynamics. At MOST, Molly Quinn has played up Alexis’ reticence toward Kate without any direct dialogue to support or explain it.
        For those who haven’t read much into Alexis’ behavior or who have never read an interview with Molly Quinn before, this is likely going to feel like it’s coming out of nowhere.
        And for anyone who has recently discovered this show through TNT reruns, it may even feel a bit WTF, considering Alexis never seemed to have an issue with Beckett pre-Season 4.
        Regardless, it looks like they’re tackling the conflict head-on now, which will hopefully clear the air once and for all.

• Apples says:

You need to rewatch S4 if you think Alexis’s antipathy is merely vague. It is mentioned clearly in ‘Rise’, ‘Cops and Robbers’ and the symbolism of Alexis-as-Sally as antagonist to Beckett-as-Vera is very heavy-handed in ‘The Blue Butterfly’ to name a few examples off the top of my head.

The show clearly establishes that Alexis doesn’t like how Beckett has hurt her father. In S5 she is supportive of the relationship without being overly warm towards Beckett.

• Kim says:

I agree with both you (Apples) and Just one thing. I can see where Just one thing is coming from. To be honest, I didn’t make the connection between Sally/Alexis and Vera/Beckett until you mentioned it. I just thought it was a fun episode. I understood the Joe/Castle and Vera/Beckett parallels. But the supporting cast? Yeah, I didn’t really into their character. Which is my fault. All this to say that I might not be the only one who didn’t make the connection. But after you mentioned it, yeah it totally made sense. But not everyone is going to see that episode the way you do or the way I do. To be honest, I thought Alexis was more mad at Castle for putting his life on the line in Rise than she was at Beckett for hurting her father. Could be that I’m, once again, completely missing the subtext. I say that because Alexis made it clear in telling him he isn’t a cop that she’s worried about him getting physically hurt. The man did almost take a bullet for Beckett. And yes, Alexis was around to watch her father kind of fall apart after the shooting and Beckett going incommunicado while holing up in her father’s cabin. And though that probably ticked Alexis off, I always got the impression that it was more about his physical safety. Much like Cops and Robbers. Though I definitely think there was some underlying anger toward Beckett that had nothing to do with Martha or Castle being in peril. But that’s just me. Like I said, I’m probably missing subtext and I’m viewing things a bit differently than you. For people who don’t follow twitter or read articles about Molly/Alexis, they may feel like this is a bit out of character. I’m not saying Alexis shouldn’t feel the way she is. I’m just not seeing the why like you are. Personally, I think Beckett has shown that she’s invested in her relationship with Castle. The murder mystery surprise birthday party shows that. So does Beckett rushing over to the loft on Christmas Eve to celebrate with them instead of holding on to her own traditions. And I’m completely ignoring the end of the season because I don’t know how much Alexis knows about the job offer, etc. The audience might know more than she does. What bothers me about it, is how she’s handling it. It seems, to me anyway, kind of petty. She’s not okay with Beckett or the way she may or may not have been told about the engagement so she brings home Pi as a way to stick it to her father? Yeah, I just don’t see it. Acting out in other ways, I get. But Alexis has never been petty. And taking it out on her father with Pi when she could yell it out (because she has in the past) doesn’t jive with me. I would love to see a pow wow between Beckett and Alexis. Nothing super emotional, but I’d be game for a scene where Alexis tells Beckett how she feels and they come to a truce of some kind. I get Alexis being upset/angry/hurt. I just don’t think how she’s acting now is really in character with how we’ve seen her handle issues with her father before. But that’s just me. We all see things differently.

• Just one thing says:

While I thought it was downright bizarre that they had Molly Quinn play an antagonistic 1940s character in The Blue Butterfly (who was brutally killed in her efforts to keep the two 1940s protagonists apart, while the lovers pranced away… spoiler alert), I didn’t think they were overtly trying to make that connection for the audience. It just felt like she was filling a campy role, just like everyone else.
            I mean, yeah, it has always been obvious to me that Quinn wants to play up that conflict. But as far as how the storyline has developed, the writers never overtly tackled it. It’s always been glances that Quinn had to “fight for” (in the X-mad ep) or passive-aggressive dialogue that goes nowhere (when Alexis moved to college). Nothing concrete between Alexis and Castle beyond her question, again two seasons ago now, of whether Beckett makes him happy.
            I’d bet that if you were to poll a viewer who doesn’t go online, they likely wouldn’t have the same perspective as those of us who do when it comes to Alexis’ beef. So, really, I’m glad they’re finally biting the bullet. There’ll be no mistaking it now, and hopefully, the characters can move forward.

• Just one thing says:

Good points, Kim. I think the most overt intent of any conflict really had to do with Alexis’ concern for Castle’s safety, and his willingness to endanger himself on a regular basis with Beckett at the heart of the trouble. However, one could argue that her concern for her father’s safety at that point was about two years too late, given the trouble he found himself in before Beckett got shot.
            I forgot to mention (reiterate, really; I’ve said it here before) that Alexis’ behavior in the bank robbery ep was also bizarre. It was like she blamed Beckett for Castle and Martha being in danger. And considering how close that was to Beckett’s shooting and her summer away, it actually makes sense.
            Except the characters never acknowledged that, you know, “Hey, trouble sure does find Castle, whether he’s with Beckett or not. And, bonus, she’s still gonna work her ass off to save him, no matter what.”
            It was a missed opportunity to directly address and resolve Alexis’ concerns about Beckett, instead of awkwardly stringing it along for another year and a half.

• Kim says:

Thanks, Just one thing. :) I have to say, I’ve seen your posts before and I’ve always felt they were well thought. I rarely ever post. The few times I have in the past, I’ve nearly had my head ripped off by some rather passionate fans. So I tend to stay away. But I’m glad I commented this time. I’ve often wondered how much Castle has told Alexis about the dangerous situations he’s been in. And whether or not Alexis thinks he’s exaggerating. Hearing Castle talk about it and watching him actually nearly get shot are two different things. But I do agree that she has been concerned for him before and they could’ve built on that a bit more naturally leading up to the shooting. And yes, I always thought Alexis’s anger was at the fact her father didn’t seem to be fazed by the fact he was almost shot. Which is understandable. Though he’d be sulky, for most of that summer (after getting kicked to the curb by Gates) he was home. Then Beckett appears and he’s back at the precinct. Only now, Alexis has firsthand knowledge of how dangerous it all really is. I agree about her behavior in Cops and Robbers. She was clearly worried about Castle and Martha, but the exchange between her and Beckett puzzled me a bit. It’s not like Beckett asked Castle to go to the bank for her and then it all went awry. I was hoping to see that misplaced anger addressed. A quick, “Sorry I was all weird with you earlier. Thanks for saving my dad and Gram.” Just something to explain it. I get why she felt that way, I just wish they would’ve expounded on that a bit. I’ve also noticed that Molly enjoys the Alexis/Beckett tension. I sometimes think she’s a little too invested in her character. Watching the 2012 Paleyfest, I thought she answered some questions as Alexis and not as the actress who plays Alexis. I also get that feeling from her interviews and tweets, the latter of which I take with a grain (or pound) of salt. There have been many opportunities where they had the chance to clear up Alexis’ misgivings about Beckett. So at this point, it’s long overdue. Hopefully, the upcoming episode will help clear things up and we can all move on. Including Pi. He, more than anyone, needs to move on. In my opinion. :)

• Just one thing says:

@Kim, people generally ignore my posts, so I’m always game for solid conversation about stuff. :-) But yeah, I don’t see anything wrong with being really invested in one’s character. After all, 90% of the things Stana Katic says about the show seem to come from a firm investment in her character and in the show. It’s what makes her interviews generally pretty interesting to read.
            Actors are known for being very protective of their characters, and I’ve read/seen comments from both camps of actors: those who regularly mix up pronouns between “I” and “he/she,” and those who quite deliberately separate themselves from their character when discussing the show. It’s just how different people process being in their character’s head space for long periods of time, I think.
            My problem with some actors is when their motivations and focus appear to be so purely centered on their individual character to the point that a holistic look at the big picture is nearly impossible. And, really, at the end of the day, those are battles executive producers and directors either choose to fight or let go.
            I suspect it’s simply been “let go” until now. Which is fine. :-) Whatever organically raises the issue to the forefront and finally puts it all behind them. There’s nothing wrong with conflict. I just think it should be clearly developed and expressed across the board, instead of coming through in bits and pieces from one source.

• Kim says:

Well, if you’re game for some Castle discussion, so am I. :) I do agree that it’s been a bit choppy regarding Alexis’ issues with Beckett. At this point, I think it needs to be resolved on some level before hate mail starts happening (though, I wouldn’t be surprised if it already has). They definitely could have done more with this. Hopefully, in the future they will. I get actors being protective of their characters. To be honest, I’ve only really noticed it in Molly. For some reason, it just comes across (to me, anyway) as her answering as Alexis. It’s not a bad thing to be passionate or defensive or protective of your character. It’s actually a great thing. To a point. ;) For some reason, it just rubs me the wrong way with Molly. Which sounds kind of dirty, but it wasn’t meant to. I don’t know. I’ve seen interviews where actors/actresses have been insightful and passionate about their character as the actor/actress, not the character. I don’t think I’m explaining this well at all. Sorry. I’m half distracted by Castle reruns on TNT at the moment, lol.

• Just one thing says:

No, Kim, I definitely know what you mean. It can be very off-putting sometimes. I honestly think it’s just different personalities and styles shining through, though. Definitely different perspectives.
            Here’s hoping they don’t gloss over the issue too much on the show. :-)

• Kim says:

Good to know I was making a modicum of sense. :) I was afraid I was completely incoherent with my line of thinking. Yes, let’s hope the glossing is left to a bare minimum. But whether it is or not, I’m sure I’ll see you around these parts again. It was really nice talking with you. You’ve made commenting a much better experience than I am normally used to. So thanks. Maybe we could chat again sometime around here. :) Oh, also, I’m going to refer to you as JOT from here on out. For efficiency purposes.

• Just one thing says:

Thanks, Kim, and likewise. :) I’ll keep an eye out for your posts around here — particularly after these episodes in question air. It’ll be interesting to see how it’s handled.

• Francine says:

@Kim and justonething- just wanted to say that I enjoyed your discussion. You both make really well great points about the characters and it was so interesting to read. I hope you both continue to post :) Cheers!

• I had the impression at end of “Cops & Robbers” Alexis looked at Beckett mouthing Thank You when Castle & Martha were hugging her. Also what about the big hug Beckett gave Alexis when they (Castle & Alexis) got back from Paris in “Hunt”. She I think now is a little peeved that Dad is engaged and maybe he didn’t tell her his plans, but why should he. He is the Father and she is “suppose” to be off at college. This last episode when Alexis & Pi were in kitchen making smoothies she gave the snarky impression she just has Pi there to piss off her dad cause he is so serious about Beckett. She is being a late bloomer in the bratty stage of teenager.

• Just one thing says:

Hey, thanks, Francine. :-) Feel free to join in next time!

• Kim says:

Thanks, Francine! :) Please, join in next time! It was so nice discussing Castle with JOT (Just one thing).

• F.M. says:

I agree with everything you’ve said. Also the fact that Castle didn’t even tell Alexis that he was thinking about proposing to Beckett. I mean, it’s his daughter, of course he doesn’t need her permission but he could’ve at least told her. That’s why she brought Pi home and is behaving like this now, she is upset with her father for not even informing her about the step he was thinking about taking, and is showing it like this. I think it’s very in character.

• M3rc Nate says:

I completely agree. I miss the old days when she was the mature, smart one. Now shes dating Hipster Jar-Jar-Binks, of course Castle doesnt have the balls to tell them to stop making out around the house, be in a public area of the house if your together, and him showing up at the hospital was just weird. I also agree that Kate has acting like a 19 year old in many episodes. Granted she has real issues from trauma of her mothers murder when she was young and recently finding out its a conspiracy and having relationship issues all her life…but still, theres no reason she should be as immature as she has been in many episodes.

2. Teri Shannon says:

Stana Katic gives the best interviews ever because she is so passionate about her character and her show. Have to love her commitment and consider her to be the ultimate professional and very underrated as an actress. Stana is the best ever!

• Carl says:

The many faces of Beckett (Stana) and the foreplay, if you will, between her and Rick (Nathan) makes for one on the best combinations in all of TV. From a viewers perspective they have such a great chemistry and as they play off each other it makes the viewer feel it and that makes for good acting. It’s believable and any fan who doesn’t feel it should probably find a different show. And besides, Kate (Stana) is drop dead gorgeous so you couldn’t ask for much more.

• Lupe says:

I agree with you, Terri Shannon

• terri says:

I agree 100%!!! I really like Stana! the triple “S” (smart, sexy, sweet) and pretty!!

3. MK says:

I hadn’t watched last week’s Castle yet (have it on my DVR) but I’m glad Beckett gets fired. It just didn’t work with her in DC, in my opinion. And I don’t know what it is (for me) about Lisa Edelstein, but I just can’t get into her. So YAY. Beckett’s back in NY. Now we have to see how she gets back into the precinct.

4. Anna says:

Sheldon spanking Amy was hands down the most terrible thing that ever happened on that show. I just don’t even know what to say anymore. Just no. No.

5. Kimmie says:

Can’t see video – wish there would be a transcription!

6. Tran 2.0 says:

Homeland fans may think that Dana is still the same Dana since the very beginning. I know why they still hate Dana for being the most annoying character on the show and acting like a “spoiled brat” and all just like what happened last season with her tormented relationship with Finn Walden. Can’t wait for Brody’s return in episode 3. Meanwhile, there’s no doubt in my opinion that Stana Katic as Kate Beckett on Castle is definitely one of the hottest and sexiest female crime fighters I’ve ever seen on TV and I can’t wait to find out on this whole Operation Remington storyline this season on Scandal.

7. Just one thing says:

“You looked really handsome in that clip.”
    “I wasn’t in that clip.”
    I need to watch Spoiler Alert more often.

8. Mik Gab says:

Love this. Stana looks amazing

9. Ju says:

Shallow and off topic- but Stana’s hair is gorgeous! Thanks for the interview too :)

10. Lynn says:

Stana Katic always gives a great interview, thanks for putting it on. I am always impressed with her love and understanding of her character and her intelligent outlines of the Castle story. Kate Beckett is one of the sexiest,bad ass detectives ever on the screen. And she pulls it off with charm, warmth and honesty. The character is human with all the highs and lows we must face in the real world.

11. abz says:

Aside from all things Dana, I really am liking the start to Homeland this season. Carrie is fantastic as usual and I’m intrigued by this Farah character. One thing though, I don’t remember if they said why, but I don’t like how they just abandoned the Uncle Mike character completely. I mean this is the time where his presence in the Brody family actually makes sense, but I don’t recall them giving an explanation about what happened to him.

12. Susan says:

Alexis has been the apple of her father’s eye, her whole life. Woman have come and gone, none not even her own mother has interfered with that relationship. She has been use to “taking care” of him. She likes Beckett, but she wants to make sure this is the real thing and her father will not be hurt. Martha will probably have a hand in helping her work it out.

13. Leigh says:

Hey Matt – Thanks for the great Castle Stuff and love the glasses!

14. Emma says:

Matt, you’re adorable! Love you interviewing Stana. She’s an awesome woman, right? She’s invested in her show and it shows in her performance and interviews. Thx for doing this for us Castle fans! As far as the Alexis/Molly situation, I feel like Molly has always tried to play up any contention for more than what it really was. I like Molly, but I remember being confused after reading one of her interviews…I never saw any Alexis / Beckett strife. (Except Cops and Robbers) and that sudden spark of attitude didn’t even go with the story…jmo.

• Dory says:

Emma is right. I’ve been posting with Tv line for about 4 years and I only saw the little picture on the top of the board. You really are handsome

15. Leah says:

Scandal premiere was amazing. That was my theory about Remington, too. But since everyone is thinking the operation had something to do with her mother’s death – then there’s no way that it really did, right!? Scandal doesn’t go with the obvious. I absolutely loved that bunker scene. That was a series highlight for me.

16. Sable says:

Alexis never did have an issue with Kate in earlier seasons. In fact, Alexis used Kate as an advisor and a mentor several times. Alexis has always been among the more respectful and responsible teenagers on tv. She has always shown love toward Rick and Martha. The only problem I have with how Alexia is developing this season is her interest in the idiotic Pi.

17. Babybop says:

I love you two! I look forward to these every week!

18. John says:

A Stanatic complaining about Molly Quinn? doesn’t surprise me.

• Just one thing says:

Words can’t adequately describe how much I dislike that name. O_o

• Just one thing says:

Also, way to contribute to the conversation! It’s so much easier to cast aspersions on strangers than to construct your opinion in a few sentences. Well done.

19. James Eller says:

season 5- which episode has Castle cutting his video game line in order to appease Beckett, caused by his ignoring her?

20. karkar says:

Did Beckett give up her pad in New York? If so, she should move in with Castle. Alexis should go back to her dorm and concentrate on school not Pi! Loved the Stana interview. She is so genuine and gorgeous. Looks like she got her hair trimmed shorter in the interview . Love it!!!!

21. lame says:

WOW!!! Sunday evening and Castle tumblr. is flooded with all the significant scenes from the episode we’ll be seeing of Monday night. Blame Canada, you suck!!!!

22. Manzie says:

Castle is my best tv show…Stana, you are so amazing, sweet and beautiful, thank you for being you! I am a castle fan forever!!!!