Parenthood Recap: A Picture-Perfect Spark, Marital Missteps, Brotherly Love & Money Issues

Get More: Recaps

Parenthood Spoilers Sarah Hank ReunionThis week’s Parenthood finds Sarah and Hank inching closer to a reunion, while Adam and Kristina have an anti-meeting of the minds, and Ryan, Amber and Drew hilariously handle a problem dormmate.

Here, we break down the seven key takeaways from the NBC weeper’s latest installment:

The Braverman men have become a dismissive bunch. Whether it’s “Budget Boy” Adam putting his foot down on Kristina’s campaign spending or Zeke full-on ignoring Camille’s pleas to discuss the next “act” of their love story, the typically accommodating other-halves are in rare form this week. Thankfully, Adam finally comes around and adorably offers up his entire wallet — cash, cards and all — for the betterment of the election.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on 45 Returning Faves

• Hank, on the other hand, is making major romantic strides. Save for a misplaced “pause” early on in the hour, the reserved photog helps build Sarah’s confidence in her craft. And as a thank you, he receives one of those signature Sarah smiles — which, let’s face it, is all he really needs.

Lacrosse has never looked better. The fact that Ryan (Matt Lauria) busts into Drew’s dorm room to defend his soon-to-be little brother is endearing (and — duh — sexy) enough. But that he starts it all off by kicking down the door while holding that kid from The Descendants‘ lacrosse stick? Pretty awesome, bro — we mean Sergeant York, sir.

• Photography be damned: Sarah Braverman missed her calling as a saleswoman. After Kristina nixes her sister-in-law’s pitch to shoot her official campaign photo in favor of a “professional” portrait, The Resourceful One counters, “Or do you need someone who knows you so well that they can bring out what’s beautiful and strong and smart about you? I would argue I’m that person…” (Spoiler alert: Sarah gets the job and perfectly captures Kristina in the shot.)

RELATED | Parenthood Season 5 Premiere Post Mortem

It’s always embarrassing when you walk in on someone gettin’ busy! Upon interrupting Ryan and Amber in a compromising position, Drew turns a slightly darker shade of red than his ex-teacher/stepfather figure Mark Cyr did when the same thing happened to him last season.

Breast pumps are “fascinating”… At least through Crosby’s eyes. And thankfully, because of that newfound appreciation, he’s finally able to bond with his baby girl via a bottle feeding. “I know your mom’s got boobs and that’s very, very awesome, but I’m here for you, too,” he coos. “It’s important to me that you know that.”

Scrabble is for lovers. And also for Drew and his adorable new dorm-room crush (played by 90210 alumna Lyndon Smith).

What were your favorite moments from Thursday’s Parenthood?

Tags: ,

Comments (21)

• Egg and Luke Cafferty rescuing the brother was the best part. Did they really need to have more than one spouse stonewalling their respective partner? I feel like the writer wanted to visit the issue but spread the theme too far and it kind of ruins the authenticity for me, pushing the couples into forced, unnecessary arguments that could have been better served as flavor dialogue. It’s especially aggravating when this kind of crap happens with the couple that’s been married the longest. Come on, Zeek, don’t be a dick.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 10, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zeke irritates me beyond belief… I really hope Camille just leaves him this time and the children don’t come back and interfere with anything!
    Adam was also irritating me but thankfully he came to his senses. Would have loved to punch him….
    Crosby is just to funny.
    Is that baby just a tad bit too white?

Comment by shuayb – October 10, 2013 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jasmine looks at least 25% white, so it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that the dominant black pigment chromosome would edged out with paired white ones. And I’m not black or anything, but I was a really white child that kind of developed a mild permanent tan by the time I was 6.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 10, 2013 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with you about the baby.

Comment by thestormwithin (@thestormwithin) – October 10, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best Part tonight was when Ryan busted the door and was like his name is not dude- it’s Drew say it with me. Love Matt Lauria on Parenthood.

Comment by Lyn – October 10, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where’s Victor’s/ Julia & Joel’s storyline? Otherwise, good recap

Comment by Jules – October 11, 2013 03:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This ^. The Julia/victor storyline was most of the episode (and please they need to get a tutor!). They’ve also just dropped his behavioral issues? Loved the dorm story. Zeke was being Zeke but the nipple scene was great.

Comment by Saabgirlatx – October 11, 2013 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People still watch Parenthood?

Comment by Tomahawk Chop – October 11, 2013 04:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Only the people who enjoy intelligent writing that takes the time to build real characters you come to know and love (or love to hate), smart stories you can relate to, and makes you laugh, cry, or yell at the tv at least once every episode…all while letting you take a needed break from reality that you look forward to every week. You know, people who like real entertainment. Obviously none of these things apply to you so it’s good that you don’t watch.

Comment by NE – October 11, 2013 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No offense, but you must enjoy reality television. This is one of the best, most intelligent and well-written shows on television. It’s just not for you.

Comment by pam – October 11, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t going to comment on the baby’s looks but I couldn’t help it. I am a child of mixed race (Black Hispanic mother, Caucasian father) and when I was born, I looked paler than some of the Caucasian babies in the nursery. I started to get more tan around the age of 9 months and just gradually “darkened”. While I am never going to be the same skin tone as my mom, you can tell I am a mixed race American and proud of it!

Funny anecdote: Since I got darker, as a toddler I assumed the same would happen to my dad and would often pat him comfortingly on the arm and say “Don’t worry, Daddy…you’ll be brown soon too.”

That being said, I love the Braverman family. The message that always seems to come across is “while we drive each other absolutely crazy, don’t mess with any us because we stand together and we’ll kick your butt!”

Comment by Jay – October 11, 2013 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just loved to read your post. It’s good that you posted it. I don’t see color at all so I’m always a bit puzzled when people bring up these issues and notice someone’s skin color. But one of my girl friends is a lovely white woman who’s married to a very dark handsome guy and they have two kids. The oldest is just like her dad, a dark beautiful girl with curly hair and her younger sister was also quite light with beautiful blue eyes. As she grew older she got darker bit by bit, it started with her finger nails. Very funny because it looked like she dipped her fingers in chocolate milk. She’s darker now then when she was a baby but who cares? Every person in that household is beautiful and I don’t really care or notice what they look like. Just that they are lovely, nice people.
      I wished people would stop focussing on color.

Comment by Caro – October 11, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • christina needs to be shaken..this infatuation she has with her campaign manager is ridiculous. i do think she reigned it in, but she is not putting her marriage first. she is living on the advice of a stranger.

Comment by shelly – October 11, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t agree at all. Why can’t you pursue a dream while being a wife, too? She’s not unrealistic about it, she discussed her doubts with Adam in the end and decided to cut back a little. And he’s supporting her. Very grown up storylines and decisions, great to watch.

Comment by Caro – October 11, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My biggest fear with the new campaign manager is that she’s a double agent of sorts. She didn’t enter Christina’s life until after Bob Little knew that Christina was his competition. The last pretty young woman to enter the Braverman house was Minka Kelly/the autism helper Crosby slept with, and I just sense that the character has no point if not to bring the drama. She doesn’t really look/act like Christina’s new BFF she never knew she had. So if the campaign mgr’s intentions are in any way not sincere, I suspect she’s there on Bob’s behalf to ensure her campaign never eclipses his own/leaves her specifically unprepared for debates against him. For as annoying as Adam’s negativity can be, he usually has a point, whether it’s revealed quickly or down the line.

Comment by Abby – October 11, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I literally love this show so much. Still such perfect honesty in every one of the characters’ conversations with each other. Also, no recap on the Joel/Julia situation? I doubt that’s over yet…

Comment by Abby – October 11, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The last two scenes were so great. Crosby and the baby and Drew and the girl in the dorm were so sweet! Crosby was such a contrast from that goon of a roommate of his.

Comment by pam – October 11, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they would show more of Sydney and Victor. Last night they actually showed Sydney being nice (OMG) when she told Victor, good job, that was a hard word. Is it possible they are bonding as brother and sister? I’d love to see her step up and help him so he isn’t put back to 4th grade.

Comment by Maggie – October 11, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why no reference to Julia/Joel/Ed storyline? I don’t think Zeke is wrong or Camille either. Last ep Camille mentioned the Guest House. Maybe they’ll rent it out to make money ?

Comment by Chablis – October 11, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the episode. I only hope Sarah is NOT getting back together with boring Hank!! I want him to move back to Minnesota!!! and for Sarah to hook up with her hot hunky neighbor!!! Every other scene was a joy to watch. Loved loved loved Crosby falling in love with his daughter… so adorable!

Comment by Caro – October 11, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post