Glee Recap: A Farewell to Finn [Updated]

Glee Cory Monteith Tribute EpisodeOne of Glee‘s greatest gifts over the past five seasons has been its ability to convey deep emotions and advance its storylines through its musical numbers.

Who can forget the dissolution of three central romances set to “The Scientist”? Or Kurt’s vigil for his ailing dad, as he sang the Beatles’ “I Want to Hold Your Hand”? And then, of course, there was Rachel’s sectionals triumph, a soaring, seminal moment thanks to Lea Michele’s spectacular “Don’t Rain on My Parade.”

RELATED | Glee‘s Lea Michele Breaks Her Silence: ‘I’ve Lost Two People — Cory and Finn’

Tonight, though, Ryan Murphy & Co. faced a two-pronged challenge that, both creatively and emotionally, had to feel almost impossible: Saying goodbye to central character Finn Hudson, the sweet, sometimes insecure, but ultimately steadfast boy whose participation in New Directions was crucial in the show choir’s transformation from downtrodden underdog to beloved champions. At the same time, Fox’s high-school musical had to give fans a chance to mourn the tragic loss of series star Cory Monteith, who died this past July at the age of 31.

PHOTOS | Cory Monteith’s 10 Best Glee Moments

Thankfully, though, in the midst of navigating their private grief, the show’s cast and crew somehow managed to bid a respectful, heartbreaking, and yes, even beautiful farewell to both Finn and Cory. Not surprisingly, the centerpiece of the aptly titled “The Quarterback” could be found — in true Glee tradition — in the music.

PHOTOS | How 22 TV Shows Handled an Actor’s Death

Let’s recap “The Quarterback,” then, in the same spirit…with a quick rundown of the plot, followed by a focus on its songs:

Glee Cory Monteith Tribute Episode The action opens with the New Directions kids (new and old) giving a solemn and lovely rendition of “Seasons of Love,” ending with all of them turning to face a screen with Finn’s McKinley football portrait. I don’t know about all of you, but it was at this point I realized I’d be crying for a full hour straight.

We then cut to Kurt, who explains it’s been three weeks since Finn’s passing — and that frankly, he’s tired of folks asking how Finn passed, since it doesn’t matter anyway. (Side note: I’ve got to say, I’m incredibly happy the show didn’t give us a cause of death, or have Finn die in the same sad way as Cory himself. Kurt’s explanation that the cause wasn’t at the heart of the matter rang so so so so resoundingly true, no?)

After that, we get snippets of our central characters going through the difficult period of mourning when life is supposed to be getting back to normal, when — to those for whom the loss stings most — normal itself has been altered in a way that’s still incomprehensible.

* In perhaps the toughest scene of all, Finn’s mom Carol (Romy Rosemont, jaw-droppingly incredible), stepdad Burt and brother Kurt separate the late quarterback’s items into boxes. Kurt quickly grabs Finn’s letterman jacket, Burt laments how he “should’ve hugged him more” and Carol breaks completely, explaining the brutal process of waking every morning and realizing she’s still a mother — just one without her son. Uttering the word “Emmy” seems almost ghoulish in the face of such tremendous grief, and yet it percolates in my brain all the same.

* Coach Beiste confronts a drunken Puck and forces him to realize he needs to be his own quarterback. “See yourself how he saw you,” she cries. “You’ve gotta make it good enough, because that’s all we have left.” Puck ultimately decides to enlist in the Air Force, after replanting the memorial tree he’d torn out with his motorcycle.

* Santana struggles with the mourning process — not wanting to share her fond memories of Finn for fear that her vulnerability will be seen as shameful. She assaults Sue in her office — Sue’s shock didn’t really register, given how many folks she’s assaulted through the years — but there’s resolution to come. Kurt tells Santana that “shame is a wasted emotion,” and leaves her with a generous parting gesture: Draping Finn’s letterman jacket around her shoulders, like a hug. Later, Sue (who’d been determined not to “make a self-serving spectacle of [her] own sadness”) and Santana make peace, but the Cheerios coach laments that, “there’s no lesson here. There’s no happy ending.” And then, “It’s just so pointless. All that potential…”

* Rachel arrives in the final act, not able to stay away from the memorial to her fallen love. “Nobody treat me with kid gloves, ok?” she implores, before breaking into a cover of “Make You Feel My Love” — the first song she and Finn would sing together in the car. Anyone doubting the emotional power of music alone — without any dialogue whatsoever — has never heard Lea Michele at her best, as she was on this number. Absolutely heartbreaking — but also cathartic. Rachel then brings a plaque to the rehearsal room with a photo of Finn and one of his quotes — “The show must go…all over the place…or something.”

* And then there’s the story of Santana going on the warpath — demanding the return of the letterman jacket that was stolen while she was in the nurse’s office taking a “grief siesta.” (Confession: Somehow, in the midst of all my sobbing, Naya Rivera’s “no me gusta” managed to make me howl.) Of course, it turns out to be Schue who can’t let go of the coat in question. The episode closes with the show-choir advisor — who Emma worried hadn’t shed a tear since Finn’s death — going home, clutching the jacket and sobbing. Then Emma walks in and consoles him.

Set List (I’ll be back shortly to update with some thoughts on each number)
“Seasons of Love,” from Rent (New Directions) | The number began with the newbies in black — and my heart dropped, worried about the core players who’d worked with Cory the longest. But my fear was fleeting and unfounded, as Jenna Ushkowitz, Kevin McHale, Darren Criss and Chord Overstreet — then Amber Riley, Chris Colfer, Naya Rivera, Mark Salling and Harry Shum, Jr. quickly joined in — and the waterworks began. Beautiful song. Beautiful performance. And Amber Riley’s ad-libs hit me somewhere about three inches beneath the ribcage.

The Pretenders’ “I’ll Stand By You” (Mercedes) | Mercedes shares with the New Directions grads and present class that Finn was “the first cool kid to be nice to any of us” — which is why she can’t wait another second to share her emotions through song. Amber Riley is a stellar vocalist, but this was perhaps her most genuine, deeply felt performance on the show ever. When she hit “nothing you confess, could make me love you less” — which felt as directed at Cory as it did at Finn — I had my first ugly-cry of the hour.

James Taylor’s “Fire and Rain” (New Directions) | But I always thought that I’d see you again… Not to be all hokey and heavy, but that’s a sentiment no one can really afford in this life, is it?

The Band Perry’s “If I Die Young” (Santana) | That a capella intro by Naya Rivera was as mesmerizing as her psychotic-esque break before the final chorus was riveting. Here, we got a portrait of a character crumbling with the inability to express her grief. And that followup moment of Kurt getting Santana to read her list of Finn’s kindnesses felt completely authentic.

Bruce Springsteen’s “No Surrender” (Puck) | I was really struck by the stripped-down quality of this number, and the way Mark Salling kept his eyes off to the corner of the room, almost as if making contact with any of his cohorts would’ve been more than he could bear. Pass the Kleenex, bro.

Bob Dylan’s “Make You Feel My Love” (Rachel) | This musical moment, perhaps more than any other, made palpable the mourning of the actors on the set, and served as much as a tribute to Cory as it did to Finn. Every one of Lea Michele’s/Rachel’s tears felt achingly real — I honestly can’t even fathom how she made it to the set, let alone shot this scene. But as a fan of Glee and of Cory Monteith, all I can say to her is “thank you.”

What did you think of “The Quarterback”? How many tissues did you go through? (Current count for me: Four Five and rising.) Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments with your thoughts on the episode — and on Cory Monteith in general.

1. Such a beautiful episode and it almost bothers me that people would grade it anything lower than an A.

• all says:

Calm down. It’s just a tv show.

• The topic at hand was much larger and many were deeply effected by either the loss of Cory Monteith or the subject matter. I thought it was tastefully done and definitely bid Cory farewell without capitalizing on his death. So while this is “just a tv show”, I think grading it is both vapid and senseless. We’re grading a tribute episode thats being dedicated to someone these actors were very close too.

2. Fernanda says:

the last scene break my heart in million pieces. Beautiful tribute for Finn’s character. I’m still crying. Now is really gone. RIP Cory RIP Finn Hudson

3. Angel says:

My heart goes out the cast and crew, because I know this episode was difficult to shoot. It was heartbreaking, Puck had me blawing. So did Rachel. The emotions were so raw. God bless them as they move forward and try to move the series forward, and make something good of what is left of their run. It was nicely done, but I will say I wish they added a few flashbacks during the songs, though the songs were effective on their own without it.

4. Mike says:

I was so sad when Cory died. I still am. As Sue said, “all that potential…” I will miss him on the show. I so related to Glee when it came on because they did such a good job of capturing how it feels to be an outsider. Finn was the popular kid who gave it up. And Cory embodied Finn. Tonight’s episode was beautiful and difficult. One thing I noticed – Rachel’s look and clothes have gotten progressively sexier since she’s been in New York. Tonight she looked like a fragile little girl. Love and hugs to Lea and the rest of the cast. RIP, Cory. You are missed.

5. LeahKittyS says:

Woah. Guys. You know what I just realized is kind of ironic? It hit me when I saw Mr. Schue writing “FINN” on the board. What do they always put at the end of old or foreign movies? The word “Fin.” It means “The end.” And this is the end of normalcy for Glee, for McKinley High School, for all of these characters’ lives. Maybe irony isn’t the right word, but it still gets me.

6. Sara says:

I knew this episode was going to be hard to watch but I didn’t expect it to be so sad. Less than a minute in and I was sobbing uncontrollably and it lasted until the very end. The realization that the heart-shattering sadness was real..the tears were real…it was devastating. There were moments where I saw Kevin McHale’s face and he looked so emotionally exhausted, and Chord Overstreet looked broken. Seeing all of those raw, real emotions coming through was awful and cathartic all at the same time. Lea’s crying, Matthew’s wailing at the end, Naya’s screams and break-downs, all of it…It’s an episode of TV I won’t soon forget.

7. Mariah says:

I thought it was absolutely perfect. Amazing acting, writing, singing. It was truly beautiful. I am happy beyond words that Kurt prefaced it with “it’s not about how he died, rather how he lived.” I was not emotionally prepared to watch and cried so hard straight through, but what surprised me the most was what hit me the hardest. I knew watching Lea would be heart wrenching, but it was actually the scenes with Kurt, his dad, and Finn’s mom, Puck’s scene in the locker room, Sue’s scene when Santana came to apologize, and then the last scene that did it. Those were the hardest. I was SOBBING at the end, watching Mr. Schue clutch onto his jacket. Literally gasping for breath, that was so painful to watch. Bravo, and Cory/Finn you will be missed more than you know.

8. Kobe Busia says:

Wow, this is undoubtedly the best episode ever to come from Glee! So beautifully written, and powerfully played out, I loved every minute of it. All the songs were absolutely beautiful and the way they loved and admired Finn really showed in this episode. The entire episode was just phenomenal, but here are the scenes that truly stood out to me; the scene with Kurt, Burt, and Carole, oh my God that was a real tear-jerker, and it was a family-driven moment that was needed more than ever. Also there was Santana’s breakdown, I mean it really showed Santana’s regret for not really taking the time to see how great of a person Finn was, and it showed that she really did care about him. Puck and Coach Bieste were just amazing, and u know, I really felt Puck’s grief because that was his best friend, and brother for life, and I’m glad he’s going to the Military to honor his late and beloved friend. Rachel’s song was heart-wrenching, and it was the only song that brought me to tears, I was shedding tears at that point, it was just hard to watch. But the scene that broke me down and made me cry the hardest was with Will at the very end of the episode. He sits down, pulls the Letterman Jacket out of his bag, and cries into it so hard, and Emma comforts him, that had me bawling so hard. This episode was flawless, and it encompasses everything we as fans have grown to love about Finn Hudson, and this was a perfect sendoff to this character. Even writing this now is bringing me to tears, I just watched the episode over again, and even writing this review is tearing me down emotionally. I guess it never really hit me hard until now that Finn/Cory is gone forever. This is the best Glee episode ever, and the performances from all the actors didn’t feel like acting to me, they were expressing raw and deep emotions throughout. We love u Cory, and we love u as well Finn, rest in peace, and watch over us. 10/10

9. Frank says:

I did not like this send off of the character … why 3 weeks later? why are they still having a vigil in the hallway 3 week later? why steal a jacket? where was Quinn and Brittany? I didn’t like it. Dallas recently lost Larry Hagman and their send off of JR was done so much better.

• kim says:

The writers didn’t want the acotr to have to act out learning about Finn . Brittany and Quinn were at the funeral but couldn’t make it back they are in school some kid jsut can’t get back,

10. Dee says:

I hate that Cory dying is what brought Glee back to what it was before, a story about people getting through life together. This was the best Glee episode in a while.

11. Misty says:

Powerful! I cried throughout the entire episode and now I’m exhausted. Finn, and all the Glee characters have touched my heart throughout the years. Everything was touching, personal, sensitive and real. Brought back memories of recent losses in my own life. As Finn so eloquently says, “The show must go…all over the place…or something…”

12. Morgan Rose says:

I don’t remember the last time I bawled so hard during a show where someone had passed. It makes you truly appreciate the people you have in your life. It was an emotional and inspiring episode and I am grateful that they addressed it so heartbreakingly beautiful.

13. Allyson says:

Rest in Peace Cory. To me this was the most beautiful episode ever. I knew it was emotional going in, but I didn’t realize how emotional it was going to be for me. I was crying pretty much the entire episode and I usually never cry over the loss of a fictional character. Cory/Finn was such a loveable person and meant a lot to so many people. It was tough, because knowing how difficult it was for us fans to say goodbye, it was even harder for the cast and crew and most importantly Lea Michelle and Cory’s family. Saying goodbye is pretty tough and you could all feel it on the screen. I think it was a great tribute to someone who touch so many hearts. I am glad they made the decision to not reveal how Finn died, but to celebrate his life. Watching Kurt,Burt, and Carol deal with the loss of Finn was so sad as they were packing up Finn’s belongings. Of course Santana’s reactions throughout the episode was surprising, but it felt genuine and honest that I am glad we got to see her grieve the loss of Cory/Finn. I am glad Emma was there for Will. ( I was kind of afraid she wouldn’t be there b/c of her new show) Of course, when Rachel/Lea sang that song, it was heart breaking. For someone to have lose the love of their life off screen as well as onscreen and do give that outstanding performance was pretty incredible. Lea’s love for Cory was quite clear. This was a fantastic tribute. I applaud Ryan Murphy and crew for giving us this goodbye episode for Finn/Cory. I am sure it was difficult and it was a strong one.

14. Jess says:

I’ve only every watched a few episodes of Glee, but this episode made me cry like a baby. And I never, ever cry at TV shows. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding his death, any loss is tragic; he, like so many others, was taken before his time was up. But, the sum of one’s existence is not defined by how long you live, but what you make of your life – and Cory evidently had a huge impact on the lives of many people.

15. maryloo says:

Beautiful, beautiful job by Amber Riley. Wow, what beautiful powerful heartfelt songs. I felt every word of her music.

16. DavidSask says:

You could feel the real grief though the characters. Santana was highlight in this episode and proved with singing and acting. I wanted the Sue attack to be more. Not telling how the character died was huge cop out, it did not have to be drug related! I think the BS excuse of not having Diana there was not cool. Heather pregnancy could have been explained in some stupid moment think of the character lol. Not having those 2 there was fail. Taking the jacket was not something Will would have done.

17. JAO says:

Thank you. A most powerful tribute.

18. asd123 says:

Yes, it’s sad that the actor died. And so the episode must have been truly difficult to act and write but, it was generally not a good episode. I remember the one in which Billy died on Ally. Now that’s how you remember a character. This sob-fest was against everything Finn represented which was a certain goofiness and a vim even in the worst situations.

Also, I hated Rachel referring to Finn as “her person”. That’s not what the term person is about. At all. Shonda take the term back!!!

19. Carly says:

I found this episode absolutely beautiful. It was a beautiful send off for the character Finn and the person that Cory was. He seemed like a grand fellow with much enthusiasm and joy. He was goofy and funny from all that I’ve seen in interviews and videos. The writers wrote a great tribute. The cast was beautiful. Lea Michele is just, no words describe how amazing she was in this and how strong she seems to be. Starting the episode off with seasons of love was very fitting and amber riley was amazing. Mark Salling broke my heart almost as much as Lea and Naya was just beautiful.

The scene that got to me the most though was the scene with Burt, Kurt, and Carol. My grandparents lost my father and the depiction if grief that Romy was accurate and so real. It was fitting and heartbreaking and I had to pause the scene right in the middle to just burst into tears. The other scene that broke me was Rachel saying Finn was her person. It felt so real and like Lea also was saying it about Cory.

It breaks my heart that this happened, but it was a grand episode and the criticism should be forgotten. This is about the character and giving the fans something to grieve over. We knew Finn, we didn’t know Cory and this episode was a great tribute and wonderful closure.

20. Kirsten says:

Correction: Puck was not singing to the corner of the room to avoid eye contact, he was singing to the empty chair where Finn used to sit as if singing directly to Finn.

21. sophie says:

Outstanding episode.
    By not sharing how Finn died at all, they emphasized the greater message: his life. His line.
    The dash between his birth and death is what matters, and by extension its what matters in our own. It was Glee’s way of asking “what are you going to do with your line?”

22. greysfan says:

That last scene, i was a mess after the first few minutes but that last scene was extremely powerful and i couldn’t stop the tears afterwards either. The whole episode was filled with raw emotion and the it hit me from start to finish. It was a beautifully done episode and hats off to the whole cast. Its not easy doing something like this. RIP Cory and Finn.

23. Kaybee says:

I thought it was well done and incredibly touching. As others have mentioned, the scene with his mother was achingly sad but what got me was Lea singing and touching the “Finn” necklace. I know how she kept touching her “Cory” necklace at the TCAs and this just emphasized all the more how much her entire song and the crowd reactions were really not Glee characters but real people mourning their friend.

I’m glad they read aloud what was inscribed on the plaque as I was still too teary-eyed to read it.

24. Marie says:

I thought this was a beautiful way to remember Cory and Finn and I sincerely believe that Ryan Murphy gave all he had to do Cory justice- and he has. If Dianna had been able to appear she would have, and that´s it. I´m feeling grateful that I got to watch such an incredible tribute to both a beautiful person and character. So thank you to every single person who made this possible, it must have been so hard. We appreciate it greatly.

25. dregari says:

How did the character Finn died

• meem says:

Who cares? If you need to know, pick something. Car accident. Hit by a bus. Brain Aneurysm. Whatever. Just pick something if it matters so much to you.

26. Allison P says:

It was such a hard episode to watch. Throughout I was not only mourning Cory, but my best friend who died suddenly in June. Everything just resonated and matched up with what I’ve been going through. My upmost respect for the cast and crew of Glee for putting this episode together.

27. Bbch says:

I started to cry at minute one and didn’t stop. It felt so real.

28. TobyG. says:

It’s not that Santana feared that her vulnerability would be seen by the others as shameful. She saw her own vulnerability as shameful. No one else saw her like that. She had to get over herself and she did.

And Kurt was wrong when he said “Shame is a wasted emotion.” There are plenty of things people do, mistakes or bad choices we make, that we should be ashamed of. However, being sad and vulnerable are not those things. He was right about that.

I am disappointed that Will didn’t sing his own lament to Finn’s death. I know the kids are the focus of the show, but Will and Finn had a special relationship. I think Will deserved his own song.

29. return viewer says:

I too am a viewer who stopped watching Glee a few years back but tuned in to see how they handled the loss. I thought it was a moving and very good episode. Some have said how they wish they had a montage of Cory as Finn and felt disappointed or the episode wasn’t as good because of that. I kind of have to disagree for two reasons: 1) a montage would, imo, have tipped the tribute into being heavy-handed, and just too much. 2) I think this was taped somewhere between 4-6 weeks after he died, so who on that team was going to review, cut, edit, and produce that footage of a happy, living, breathing, here on this earth Cory when the grief was so fresh and I don’t think anyone was up to that task.

30. Lucy says:

I too cannot fathom how Lea could summon up the courage to film that episode. I feel for her more than most because I too lost my boyfriend way too young (car accident), he was 17 and we’d been together 3 years. I barely remember anything from the first few months after, shock can insulate you from the worst of it but grief can make you not want to live at all. I am sure Lea will not see this but if I could talk to her I’d tell her that you can live a different life without him. It’s excruciatingly hard sometimes but it can be done.
    The episode was extremely moving especially the parts where you could see they weren’t acting.

• Kobe Busia says:

Omg, sorry for your loss, then this episode must’ve really resonated with you. But yeah, grief can make us do things unexpected.

31. Bonnie says:

I was also very happy that they didnt define Finn’s cause of death. It would have taken away from the tribute, having to explain anything and nothing would have felt authentic.

As a brand new mom I completely lost it during Rosemont’s scene. I have also thought that Riviera has been underrated and gave a stunning performance.

Missed Quinn and Brittany. I had not read about their absence in the tribute ahead of time and had been looking forward to having the whole gang together. It felt odd that they weren’t there.

I think the saddest part of Cory’s death is to know he was in pain leading up to it and suffering alone (by his choice, probably because he didnt want to bring anyone else down).

32. Liam says:

It was raw, beautiful, real and still very Glee. They couldn’t handled this any better. Lea was…wow, just wow. Rest in peace, Cory and Finn. You will be missed.

33. Joe says:

Thoughts I had after watching this;

-The show comes to a crawl when it focuses on the Second String New Directions. When the original cast showed up last night was when the it took off. They made a poor creative choice thinking they could integrate these new kids and let some of the old one’s go.

-The show should end. It just doesn’t feel right seeing all the silly overreaching manufactured plots after the death of Corey. I realize TV stars have died in the past and the show must go on, but it really feels hollow. God forbid they give Rachel’s character a new love interest this season. The issue this show has is the actors and the characters they play are completely intertwined. Having them tour the country and do live concerts in character only added to that feeling.

-Kurt should’ve sang and Mr. Schue should’ve sang.

-Puck killed it on his song. Mercedes too.

-Would’ve liked to see a quickie of Mike Chang talking about teaching Finn to dance over all the Santana stuff to be honest. And I’m a Santana fan, but it felt shoehorned in last night.

-Lea Michele destroyed me. Not sure you’ll ever see a moment like that on TV where the lines are blurred/crossed with reality like that again.

34. Tony says:

On my 3rd viewing of the episode. The one that has really really gotten to me is “No Surender”. Puck really hit that out of the park. The restraint he showed and the longing in his face.
    They should really bring him back as a new male lead. I feel there is so much story to tell with his character….

• Tony says:

Also as for Quinn. Remeber she is only a train ride from NYC. Could easy see her making a trip to New York and having a heart to heart with the NYC crew. They packed a lot of story telling in this hour.
      As for Mr. Shue and the jacket I don’t think we have seen the end of that story line either……

35. I honestly from note one couldn’t stop crying. The writers and everyone pitched it perfectly. Beautiful, haunting, and you could always feel Cory/Finn’s presence. I honestly don’t know how any of them got through their musical numbers, no more so then Lea.
    We’ve all said it before and it bears repeating, she is a remarkable woman. To do what she did last night, I don’t know if I could’ve; and to see the reactions of the rest of the cast in that moment; but during the whole episode; was remarkable.
    The scene with his family nearly killed me. But then Matthew Morrison, how did he not want to lose it through out the episode?! When he did… OMG!
    Kudos all the way around for a beautiful touching tribute
    #RIPCory&Finn.

36. Steve F. says:

Very well done, and full of heartbreaking moments – from Mercedes’ rendition of “I’ll Stand By You,” to Santana breaking down during “If I Die Young” (wonder if that was the big moment that was alluded to in various reports, or her confrontation with Sue, or the auditorium sequence with Kurt), to Rachel’s performance. And Mr. Schu finally breaking down at the end… I wonder if all the tears shed during the episode were real (based on how I’ve read that they used the first take – and some of the cast really looked like they were losing it during the ep).

I really felt for Finn’s mom; not only did she lose her husband, she’s now lost her son.

Puck looked way different without his trademark mohawk… and watching him ride off on his motorcycle did remind me of “Top Gun.” Hope the guy finds what he’s looking for, and “makes his line count.”

It’s going to be hard watching Glee from here on out.

37. Ezzy Klein says:

Brutal. Tough To Watch. The scene with Finn’s Mom…. No words…EMMY

38. Bjohns says:

Cried through most of the episode. Thank you for the comedic scenes like Sue describing why she placed the tree, Tina’s appropriate inappropriate grief followed by those pamphlets and that quote on Finn’s picture. I commend the cast for being able to create this episode. No Michael I agree about an Emmy worthy turn for the actress playing Finn’s mom. Wow I was a basket case of tears with that scene and Santana’s howl of grief when running out of the choir room.

39. J says:

I watched this episode to say good bye to Finn and Cory. I started watching Glee from the beginning but dropped off after the second season. Cory’s passing is a terrible waste of a talented man. My condolences still for his family and friends.

40. David says:

It seemed to me that Puck was not staring into a far off corner.. but looking at the chair that would have had Finn sitting and watching him, I could see it immediately, Finn’s goofy smile, tapping out the beat on his knees. Puck could see him too and was singing to Finn not avoiding eye contact with the others. That and all the other scenes were hearbreaking and i was crying from the opening few seconds seeing all the Glee kids on stage sans him and Lea (and apparently Dianna who I didn’t miss and I don’t care why she wasn’t there).

41. Carol says:

The version of Bob Dylan’s “Make You Feel My Love” that Rachel (Lea Michele) sang was from Adele’s “19” album. That version always makes me cry.

42. Sean C. says:

I think they mostly got it right. I was concerned about how the Santana segment would go, given the show’s heinous botch of that relationship in season 3, but I think how they handled it was about as good as could have been done when the show isn’t ever going to allow Santana to point out that Finn outed her.

43. Ebee says:

I think the most gut-wrenching scene was of Carole crying for the lost of her son while still being a parent. The whole episode was done so beautifully.

44. karkar says:

Im not a regular viewer of Glee, but what a beautiful tribute to Cory. I don’t know how the cast got through the episode. God bless

45. Christian says:

This was the only episode of Glee I have ever watched. Right when the picture of Finn Hudson/Cory Monteith showed up in front of the characters I started crying, and I kept crying through the entire episode. This wasn’t just acting, this was pure emotion going through the screen. If it were up to me, every one involved in this episode should win an Emmy, it was excellently done! Superb to every end! Thank you Glee, for truly delivering what was A++ work in television!

46. Carlos Alvarez says:

As someone who has watched Glee since it first premiered in May 2009 this was a wonderful tribute to Cory ( Finn) Glee has been one of my favorite shows ever. I love almost every episode. I even loved. season 4 yes I know everyone hates last season. Everyone hates the newbies. Well I don’t. Yes they are not as good but I would rather have them than no Glee at all. When Cory died and the news broke I was at a club in San Antonio,Texas and I cried so much. No actors death has ever affected me so much. I even called my brothers and sister and woke them up telling them the news. Yes I was a bit drunk. I know it’s dumb to get emotional over a show. But for 4 years I watched Cory portray Finn and always thought I can’t wait for the final episode to see Finn and Rachel’s wedding well that’s not gonna happen now but the show Gler has bought so much joy to my life and I am so proud of the cast and crew for putting this episode together which I know was very difficult. Rip Cory

• LeahKittyS says:

It’s okay, Carlos; you’re not alone. I watched Glee from the beginning as well, and I enjoyed last season (even though I was busy with school last year and didn’t watch it until the summer). When it premiered, I was a sophomore in high school, the same age as Kurt, Rachel, Finn, and most of the major characters. I was a junior when they were, I was a senior when they were, I graduated and started college with them. I wasn’t very social and I considered these “kids” to be like my friends. Losing Cory felt like losing a classmate.
      It was especially difficult to comprehend because I saw the Glee Live! tour when it came to Boston in 2011. I saw him, no screen between us. I watched him sing right in front of me. And now he’s gone. It’s too surreal. At the very last scene with Will and Emma in the apartment, I kept screaming in my head “He was here! He was here! He was just here!” I feel the pain of all these commenters. RIP Cory Monteith and Finn Hudson

• Di Tremblay says:

Don’t understand why everyone seems centered on Quinn. To tell you the truth I never missed her I was to immersed in the whole wonderful moments and songs from the people I saw. Out of everyone I waited and wanted to see the one person who ment the most to Finn/Cory and we all know who that was. I wish I had seen this show from the beginning like you but the years I did see made it so very,very special to me.

47. A says:

So, I’m not trying to ruffle any feathers, just want to state my opinion like everyone else. I read all of the comments, I agree with some, disagree with others. It is horribly sad to lose such a great actor and fellow human being, regardless of how he died. His life should be celebrated, not ridiculed for his mistakes. I agree that the actors on the show were genuinely grief stricken and filming must have been no easy task. All of that being said, I was let down by the episode / farewell. The show seemed forced to me; I didn’t cry at all and even laughed at the locker room scene. The only part of the show that seemed to have real emotion was where Finn’s mother was talking about losing her son but still being a mom… I know it sounds cold but overall I expected more – better written material and more genuine emotion from the cast as actors and as Cory’s friends. Stepping back from the reality of Cory’s death and just focussing on the episode itself, it was poorly done in my opinion. I’m not a tv critic, just a fan, and I was not inpressed. I know I’ll probably get hateful words thrown at me, but that’s just my take. In the end, no tv show can reflect the saddness felt around the world for losing Cory. RIP.

• Jammin' John says:

Hey, “A”, not going to rip you for your comments, but may I suggest something a bit different. I’ve suffered the worst loss that I’ll ever have in my life and I’ve worked for four years as part of a bereavement program (btw “bereavement” is the grief suffered by someone as the result of the death of another that they deeply loved—not romantic love, but deep human love–agape is the Greek word). One thing I learned—the hard way, the only way—is that until you’ve experienced that type of loss you simply can not understand it. What you see in others may not make sense and what you think may be comforting comments are probably not helpful even when you were trying to be. I hope you don’t find such loss anytime soon—it’s awful, it’s inscrutable. I’ve seen relationships that I never expected to result in that type of grief—ignorant me… I’ve seen reactions that run a pretty wide gamut—there are no rules. My take on this episode was that it was written by and performed by people who were—and will continue to be–in the genuine throws of true bereavement and they accurately portrayed that with emotions that had very little to do with “acting.” Oh Naya Rivera may not in actuality be tossing others across a room—-but she may well have experienced that emotion without otherwise acting upon it in “real life.” Lea Michele could always stop the show, but this time she stopped my heart, yet she wasn’t alone in showing genuine and paralysing emotion—-look again at the faces, the reactions, the people who were uncharacteristically frozen. This may be one of the few scripted episodes of anything where nearly everything about it was actually being experienced by all involved. The pain was palbable. I keep a poster next to my computer desk: AN ADVENTUROUS LIFE DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN CLIMBING MOUNTAINS, SWIMMING WITH SHARKS OR JUMPING OFF CLIFFS. IT MEANS RISKING YOURSELF BY LEAVING A LITTLE PIECE OF HOU BEHIND IN ALL THOSE YOU MEET ALONG THE WAY. That was what I saw in this episode of GLEE; it was about that little piece of Cory Monteith/Finn Hudson that was left with all those he had met; it was not about his death, but his impact—that is what the show was about—bereavement is about those left to mourn, to remember, to celebrate that little piece left behind. Dear “A” I wish you a long life before you must experience these emotions. And to those of GLEE who are reeling from Cory’s death, I wish them a safe journey through their pain, knowing that it is just beginning and will be surprisingly persistent for them. They are going about dealing with it in likely the best way that could exist—-maintaining their relationships and tackling their emotions together. I would say we all just watched a “reality show” that none of the others of the reality genre could ever match—-this was as real as it gets.

• Kobe Busia says:

Hey A, how can u say that the emotions felt force, have some compassion will U? They lost a character, but even more than that, this is a real actor who was their friend, brother, co-star through thick and thin, so please try to be more compassionate. It’s really insensitive of you to say that. This is not me hating, this is me simply trying to help u realize that ur comment of “Forced emotions” is so insensitive and rude, and that this tribute didn’t do Cory justice? I can’t believe u and every other person who made similar heartless comments have the nerve to say that.

48. MB says:

Jammin’ John, your post touched me deeply and it is so true. I too have lost loved ones that caused my heart to be ripped apart. You go through so many emotions and for me the pain continued for years. When I watched the episode I felt as if I was watching the raw emotions of the cast. I don’t think there was much acting going on. They were truly grieving. When Rachel said she talks to him all the time I know it was Lea talking about Cory. When she said he was her person, she was expressing her true feelings. She broke my heart. I did not sob through the whole episode but my heart actually ached because I so deeply felt what they were feeling. When Santana screamed and ran off and wouldn’t let anyone touch her, that is exactly what I did when my brother, my best friend, suddenly was killed in an accident. He was so young, had so much to live for, it was just so senseless. It changed me and my idea of life. I lost my innocence and naively. It shook me to the core of my being. RIP Cory but it is those he left behind that I truly feel for especially Lea.

49. Carlos Alvarez says:

Thank u Leahkitty. I’m glad I’m not alone in this. Honestly who cares about the haters. We in our hearts love ti

50. Carlos Alvarez says:

Sorry posted my previous comment too soon. This year has been so difficult. Lost a lot of people close to me. My friend Tino ironically died of an overdose and then Cory passed and then my great uncle Jesus and then my ministers wife who was my second mom who I knew for 30 years and then my cousin Martha died. Such a hard year losing so many people close to me :(

• LeahKittyS says:

I had one of those years too, back in 2009. It started when Michael Jackson died, then an old teacher of mine who was close friends with my parents drowned, then my state lost its senator (Ted Kennedy), and then my grandmother died of a stroke. And to top it off my hamster died on Christmas Eve. My condolences for your losses.