Glee Recap: A Farewell to Finn [Updated]

Glee Cory Monteith Tribute EpisodeOne of Glee‘s greatest gifts over the past five seasons has been its ability to convey deep emotions and advance its storylines through its musical numbers.

Who can forget the dissolution of three central romances set to “The Scientist”? Or Kurt’s vigil for his ailing dad, as he sang the Beatles’ “I Want to Hold Your Hand”? And then, of course, there was Rachel’s sectionals triumph, a soaring, seminal moment thanks to Lea Michele’s spectacular “Don’t Rain on My Parade.”

RELATED | Glee‘s Lea Michele Breaks Her Silence: ‘I’ve Lost Two People — Cory and Finn’

Tonight, though, Ryan Murphy & Co. faced a two-pronged challenge that, both creatively and emotionally, had to feel almost impossible: Saying goodbye to central character Finn Hudson, the sweet, sometimes insecure, but ultimately steadfast boy whose participation in New Directions was crucial in the show choir’s transformation from downtrodden underdog to beloved champions. At the same time, Fox’s high-school musical had to give fans a chance to mourn the tragic loss of series star Cory Monteith, who died this past July at the age of 31.

PHOTOS | Cory Monteith’s 10 Best Glee Moments

Thankfully, though, in the midst of navigating their private grief, the show’s cast and crew somehow managed to bid a respectful, heartbreaking, and yes, even beautiful farewell to both Finn and Cory. Not surprisingly, the centerpiece of the aptly titled “The Quarterback” could be found — in true Glee tradition — in the music.

PHOTOS | How 22 TV Shows Handled an Actor’s Death

Let’s recap “The Quarterback,” then, in the same spirit…with a quick rundown of the plot, followed by a focus on its songs:

Glee Cory Monteith Tribute Episode The action opens with the New Directions kids (new and old) giving a solemn and lovely rendition of “Seasons of Love,” ending with all of them turning to face a screen with Finn’s McKinley football portrait. I don’t know about all of you, but it was at this point I realized I’d be crying for a full hour straight.

We then cut to Kurt, who explains it’s been three weeks since Finn’s passing — and that frankly, he’s tired of folks asking how Finn passed, since it doesn’t matter anyway. (Side note: I’ve got to say, I’m incredibly happy the show didn’t give us a cause of death, or have Finn die in the same sad way as Cory himself. Kurt’s explanation that the cause wasn’t at the heart of the matter rang so so so so resoundingly true, no?)

After that, we get snippets of our central characters going through the difficult period of mourning when life is supposed to be getting back to normal, when — to those for whom the loss stings most — normal itself has been altered in a way that’s still incomprehensible.

* In perhaps the toughest scene of all, Finn’s mom Carol (Romy Rosemont, jaw-droppingly incredible), stepdad Burt and brother Kurt separate the late quarterback’s items into boxes. Kurt quickly grabs Finn’s letterman jacket, Burt laments how he “should’ve hugged him more” and Carol breaks completely, explaining the brutal process of waking every morning and realizing she’s still a mother — just one without her son. Uttering the word “Emmy” seems almost ghoulish in the face of such tremendous grief, and yet it percolates in my brain all the same.

* Coach Beiste confronts a drunken Puck and forces him to realize he needs to be his own quarterback. “See yourself how he saw you,” she cries. “You’ve gotta make it good enough, because that’s all we have left.” Puck ultimately decides to enlist in the Air Force, after replanting the memorial tree he’d torn out with his motorcycle.

* Santana struggles with the mourning process — not wanting to share her fond memories of Finn for fear that her vulnerability will be seen as shameful. She assaults Sue in her office — Sue’s shock didn’t really register, given how many folks she’s assaulted through the years — but there’s resolution to come. Kurt tells Santana that “shame is a wasted emotion,” and leaves her with a generous parting gesture: Draping Finn’s letterman jacket around her shoulders, like a hug. Later, Sue (who’d been determined not to “make a self-serving spectacle of [her] own sadness”) and Santana make peace, but the Cheerios coach laments that, “there’s no lesson here. There’s no happy ending.” And then, “It’s just so pointless. All that potential…”

* Rachel arrives in the final act, not able to stay away from the memorial to her fallen love. “Nobody treat me with kid gloves, ok?” she implores, before breaking into a cover of “Make You Feel My Love” — the first song she and Finn would sing together in the car. Anyone doubting the emotional power of music alone — without any dialogue whatsoever — has never heard Lea Michele at her best, as she was on this number. Absolutely heartbreaking — but also cathartic. Rachel then brings a plaque to the rehearsal room with a photo of Finn and one of his quotes — “The show must go…all over the place…or something.”

* And then there’s the story of Santana going on the warpath — demanding the return of the letterman jacket that was stolen while she was in the nurse’s office taking a “grief siesta.” (Confession: Somehow, in the midst of all my sobbing, Naya Rivera’s “no me gusta” managed to make me howl.) Of course, it turns out to be Schue who can’t let go of the coat in question. The episode closes with the show-choir advisor — who Emma worried hadn’t shed a tear since Finn’s death — going home, clutching the jacket and sobbing. Then Emma walks in and consoles him.

Set List (I’ll be back shortly to update with some thoughts on each number)
“Seasons of Love,” from Rent (New Directions) | The number began with the newbies in black — and my heart dropped, worried about the core players who’d worked with Cory the longest. But my fear was fleeting and unfounded, as Jenna Ushkowitz, Kevin McHale, Darren Criss and Chord Overstreet — then Amber Riley, Chris Colfer, Naya Rivera, Mark Salling and Harry Shum, Jr. quickly joined in — and the waterworks began. Beautiful song. Beautiful performance. And Amber Riley’s ad-libs hit me somewhere about three inches beneath the ribcage.

The Pretenders’ “I’ll Stand By You” (Mercedes) | Mercedes shares with the New Directions grads and present class that Finn was “the first cool kid to be nice to any of us” — which is why she can’t wait another second to share her emotions through song. Amber Riley is a stellar vocalist, but this was perhaps her most genuine, deeply felt performance on the show ever. When she hit “nothing you confess, could make me love you less” — which felt as directed at Cory as it did at Finn — I had my first ugly-cry of the hour.

James Taylor’s “Fire and Rain” (New Directions) | But I always thought that I’d see you again… Not to be all hokey and heavy, but that’s a sentiment no one can really afford in this life, is it?

The Band Perry’s “If I Die Young” (Santana) | That a capella intro by Naya Rivera was as mesmerizing as her psychotic-esque break before the final chorus was riveting. Here, we got a portrait of a character crumbling with the inability to express her grief. And that followup moment of Kurt getting Santana to read her list of Finn’s kindnesses felt completely authentic.

Bruce Springsteen’s “No Surrender” (Puck) | I was really struck by the stripped-down quality of this number, and the way Mark Salling kept his eyes off to the corner of the room, almost as if making contact with any of his cohorts would’ve been more than he could bear. Pass the Kleenex, bro.

Bob Dylan’s “Make You Feel My Love” (Rachel) | This musical moment, perhaps more than any other, made palpable the mourning of the actors on the set, and served as much as a tribute to Cory as it did to Finn. Every one of Lea Michele’s/Rachel’s tears felt achingly real — I honestly can’t even fathom how she made it to the set, let alone shot this scene. But as a fan of Glee and of Cory Monteith, all I can say to her is “thank you.”

What did you think of “The Quarterback”? How many tissues did you go through? (Current count for me: Four Five and rising.) Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments with your thoughts on the episode — and on Cory Monteith in general.

• Stacie says:

My thoughts exactly. One of the most heartbreaking episode of any TV show I have ever seen. I know there have been TV shows that have lost cast members along the way, probably the most recent that I recall was John Ritter when he was doing the 8 Rules show, but this one hit hard. I think it’s because of GLEE being the show that it is. The fact that this episode was true to many past emotional episodes made it seamless, but also resonated even more. This was a touching tribute to a character and a person. The song choices were as perfect as one could get, the emotions were real, and the tribute was beautiful. For a show with as many flaws as Glee has they did this one right.

• Lizzie says:

yeah I don’t think I’ve cried that hard for a TV since the John Ritter one. ( I was weird kid who watched three’s company) That was as real as this one. And it hurts! During Lea’s performance I lost it. That break down by Jenna & Amber was real. Everything was real! Glee was my favorite show for those two season. I watched them live two times and got the pleasure to meet Cory at a taping. It was my birthday got a shout out from him and I was in love with his character forever. So sad that he had to die because of personal demons but still doesn’t make it that much less valuable.

• Sela says:

I never give Glee an Aplus on anything anymore until last night. It was stunning and inspirational episode and a testament to a wonderful character Finn who touched so many lives. I loved every minute of it. This will be my last episode of Glee. They can’t top that one. I loved Finn, my favorite character.

• Kim R says:

If I could give it more than an “awesome” I would. It was beyond well done. I cried from the beginning. The scene with Finn’s parents and Kurt was amazingly heart wrenching. All the scenes were really. Such a fitting farewell.

• Di Tremblay says:

so right,we cried and cried!!

1. David4 says:

I didn’t watch the first half, but the second half was perfect. Sue going “Such a waste of potential” and crying was perfect. The ending was just right.

Shockingly well done Glee.

• wordsmith says:

Yeah, there were more tearful goodbyes in the episode, but for some reason it was Sue’s scene that wrecked me. Her regrets and frustration really hit the mark.

2. girlinmd says:

Great job all around on this very hard to handle episode I started crying when Santana lashed out at Sue and didn’t stop until the end!

• Isak says:

Me too. Santana shouting at Sue was the moment for me. I truly think that Naya Rivera deserves an Emmy nod for her work in this episode.
      This is how Glee should be every week. It was so honest, true, heartfelt that it reminded me of the first season. Written and done with great care and tact. Truly an amazing hour of television. Well done to everyone involved in this.

• Meredith says:

It was her breaking down and then screaming and running away that wrecked me. Still, I think everyone did an amazing, if heartbreaking, job on the episode.

• Willis says:

Totally, agree….I thought that’s so true, it’s a kind of grief reaction I think is normally not shown on television….but I lost my bro three years ago and reacted very similarly….sometimes it makes you scream just out of sadness but other times the grief scares you…the vulnerability is painstaking to overcome….such a great performance, I hope she get an emmy for it!

3. Kathy says:

“The action opens with the New Directions kids (new and old) giving a solemn and lovely rendition of “I’ll Stand by You,” ending with all of them turning to face a screen with Finn’s McKinley football portrait.”

I think you meant that the action opens with “Seasons of Love.”

4. Dawn says:

Psst..they started with Seasons of Love.

5. CMG says:

Correction: the episode opens with “Seasons of Love,” not “I’ll Stand By You.”

6. Olivia says:

So much love… R.I.P. Corey

7. Snixx says:

The song at the beginning was Seasons of Love from Rent. Not I’ll Stand By You, that was Mercedes.

8. Angela says:

The scene with Burt, Carol, and Kurt talking and crying, as well as the scene with Rachel singing. Those parts had me in tears the entire time. Easily the best moments of the show. Loved all the stuff with Santana, too, as well as the whole thing with the jacket.

• Nella says:

Me too… the moment Lea started talking my eyes where tearing up… soooo emotionally powerful! #RIP Cory

• Lauren Kirsch says:

As a mother who has lost a child myself I have often had trouble explaining to people “how I feel” or “how I am doing”. It’s actually to the point where I hate those questions. The scene with Carol completely broke me because it IS how you feel every day when you wake up and that split-second where you have to remember all over again that your child is gone is so breathtakingly painful and I was unprepared for glee to nail those emotions so exactly. I knew that the reactions and the feelings of the cast members would be accurate because they really did love Cory but I was not ready to hear the emotions that I deal with every day coming from an actor who is playing his mother. I don’t know who wrote that scene but they deserve an Emmy for writing and Romy definitely deserves an Emmy for acting out that scene because I haven’t seen a portrayal of a mother’s grief that was so dead on since Steel Magnolias. This episode was superbly done and I hope that it gives the actors some peace to be able to express their hurt and grief and share with the world. My son’s life was so very short and one of the things that makes me so very sad is that my husband and I are really the only ones who knew him or miss him so I hope that it comforts Lea and the rest of the cast and crew that so many people will never forget Finn Hudson or Cory Montieth.

• Amanda says:

Beautifully said Lauren, and my heart goes out to you and your husband for what you’ve had to go through.

• Cheri says:

I’m in the same boat. This episode made the feelings just resurface after 5 years. You said it well. This episode was the best the show has done in a very long time. Such a shame that a wonderful human being, friend, love, actor, representative of the show and a host of many charities will be missed. I miss him too. Cory brought a wonderful flavor to Finn and made him unforgettable and endearing. Finn was my favorite character of Glee. I can’t watch anymore without him. It will never be the same. Rachel will never be the same. Glee will never be the same.

• Angela says:

First off, I’m so deeply sorry for the loss you suffered. My condolences to you and your husband.
        Second, it’s good to know this show seemed to properly and accurately articulate all the emotions you and others who’ve been in your situation go through, and hopefully it answered those questions you mentioned for others as well. Obviously, people mean well, but I certainly understand why you wouldn’t like those questions, why they’d bother you after a while.
        When she talked about how she used to hear stories of parents losing kids and wonder how they dealt with it, I could relate, because I always wonder the same thing when I hear such tragic stories. No parent should ever have to experience such pain, and my heart goes out to those who sadly do. Great post, and again, I am very, very sorry.

• Toni says:

I totally agree with you. I lost my youngest son (13 months) last year tragically and I knew exactly how she felt. People are surprised at how resilient I have been since this has happened. But she said it so profoundly, you have to keep going. At the end of the day, you still have your life to live. Not a day goes by that I don’t miss my sweet little guy, so I live for him. I cried the entire episode. I don’t think an episode of tv has touched me so deeply. I guess it’s because I’ve watched them since day one. It felt so real in their emotions. I know that I will always miss Finn’s character. Good job to Glee for handling this situation with grace, reverance, and realness.

9. Shannon says:

I’ll Stand by youwasn’t the opening song. It was that song from rent which name escapes me…

10. Samantha says:

I balled my eyes out the entire episode. It was sad but a perfect way to say good bye. We’ll never forget.

11. Alexa says:

The show ended, I just looked over to my sister and mother sitting next to me and we all just cried.

No matter what your feels a are. A young life was lost and you felt the love the cast felt twoards Cory. Very true to the show and characters. Well done.

12. Andrea says:

The scene with the family in the bed room had me ugly crying, it was so well done. Every tear and emotion on this episode was real and that’s what made it fantastic. Lea Michele, I have no real words about how fantastic she was. I’m not even sure how she managed to get through her scenes.

13. michelle says:

Dianna should have been invited back. So sad Ryan Murphy has to be petty and not invite her. Its not like she wasnt important to Finn.

• LalalLa says:

Ryan was not petty there was simply scheduling issues

• V says:

It’s been said in a number of articles that both Ryan and Lea didn’t want Dianna back.

• Alia says:

I hope that’s not true, since I know she and Lea used to be very close. I certainly felt Dianna’s absence in this episode.

• @V says:

That is a lie the article flat out lied saying Lea Never like Dianna so why believe anyhting else they said aobut Lea and Di. Also Lea was in charge of the memorial for Cory and Dianna got a invitation that. If you are going to believe Lea did not want Dianna then you have to believe it was becasue Dianna is not a team player.

• Allie says:

Nice episode. Quinn should have been back – no matter what you think of The actress or character, she was an integral part if the show – whether you like it or not. Lea is all about Lea. If she thought it would take away attention from her, she’d pull a diva. It’s well known that she is. This in no way takes away from her talent though. I always wonder how you can say your so close to someone and not notice needle tracks in their arms though…

• Meredith says:

A quick point of information, Allie. There are many ways of using heroin other than shooting it in your arm. It can be injected in more concealable places, like between the toes or under toenails, but it can also be snorted or smoked, so no needles are required at all. Dial back the judgement, please.

• dog is my hero says:

Diana Agron said herself she was “not invited’ to be part of this ep. I’m sure, despite the film she’s making, she would’ve taken time off set to join this episode, if she had been invited. Murphy *was* being petty.

• To all this, Mr Murphy said that he could only ask current members of the cast to be in the tribute episode. Some heard about the episode and called and asked to be in it, and he said yes. Maybe Dianna didn’t call. I read that she was hurt and I’m hurt for her as well, but I read later what Mr Murphy said and it made more sense. I don’t think anyone didn’t want Dianna back, especially Lea.

This is a lovely article, well said. Thank you. There’s something special about GLEE, it’s hit a HUGE number of us and drew us in. Finn was the leader and so was Cory. He will be greatly missed.

• mmx says:

yeah, Ryan made it clear that he could only call people that he had under contract, and people like Igbal (Principle Figgins) call him and ask to be in the episode, maybe she should have reached to him

14. LalalLa says:

Beautiful beautiful episode. One complaint I have is Tina complaining about having to keep wearing black instead of even caring about Finn. I don’t understand why that scene was written.

• 80s says:

Comic relief. That wasn’t my favorite moment in the episode, but I can understand the effort. It was a really heavy episode.

• Holly says:

Did you see the pamphlets that Emma gave to Tina? I LMAO on them. They were “This is not about you, How to Know When to Stop Talking, and Learning not to be Callous”….I was pissed until I saw them.

• madhatter360 says:

Everyone responds differently. I felt like her reaction was one of the healthier and more realistic ones. They mention on the show that it’s been about a month since he died. Wanting to move on from grieving, wanting to not have to be sad all the time, that’s normal and healthy.
        As funny as the pamphlets Emma gave Tina were, I was sad they didn’t acknowledge how fair and legitimate her feelings were.
        Real grief comes in waves. You don’t feel one level of grief and slowly work your way down to no more grief. You feel sad and then better, and then sad again. Sometimes you feel less sad then before only to have the really big sad feelings come roaring back.

• Jason says:

Buffy, I think, did that type of grief best with Anyanka’s breakdown in Season 5’s “The Body.”

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Jason, I agree. Buffy Season 5’s “the Body” is one of the most emotionally gripping hours of television I’ve ever seen.

• Matt says:

I lost one of my best friends four years ago and while pain is still very real I actually realized something tonight. As annoying as Tina is at lately she might be the character on Glee I’m most like. Her grief was just as real as everyone else’s. It seems weird to you just like mine did when my friend died. It doesn’t diminish our loss though.

• Diana says:

I think that it represented what others expectations are on how long people should grieve and act (ie; dressing in black).

• joncuriel says:

Well, if you ask me, I think it was realistic, first, it had to be the comic relief of the episode, aside from Sue’s comments in the teacher’s room.
      And before anyone starts complaining about Tina, she mentions she hates wearing black, but have you stopped to think that as hard as it may be for her, she was the only one wearing black after 3 weeks!? Seriously, that means something heavy, she doesn’t get to say anything about it, but obviously the character is grieving trough her clothes, and the fact that she is wearing black and wants to let go is a metaphor.

• I think that it showed Tina deflecting, focusing on something else instead of her grief. She wasn’t being petty or selfish, just in denial.

• Sean C. says:

The writers hate Tina.

• Rebecca Gremore says:

Tina’s callous, self involvement behavior in this scene was used to illustrate a defensive regression to protect against the pain of grief. Such narcissistic and petty behavior can be a stragegy to avoid facing the enormity of a loss. I saw my mother-in-law use it during my late husband’s illness and death from cancer. It is a primitive defense as opposed to a mature defense. Kind of like the anger Puck and Santana used to defend against the pain. Religion can be a defense that works well for many for the most part. These things get us through the day after a crisis.

• D. Passenger says:

Yeah, I remember when my dad told me his dad had died. I was about 8 and he took my Gameboy away to tell me. When he told me, all I did was moan about how my Gameboy was losing battery. Couldn’t face the reality, I guess. Immature.

15. Rebecca says:

This episode was so beautifully done. I bawled from start to finish. Whoever voted the episode as ‘F’ has no heart.

• Ruby says:

It seems kind of trite to “grade” the episode *at all* IMHO. It wasn’t really an episode as much as a farewell and to grade the way someone wrote out their grief seems ridiculous.

16. Tabitha says:

It was a hard episode to watch, because none of their emotions were acted. All of those tears were real. I cried a lot when Rachel sang, but I absolutely bawled at the end with Mr. Schuester. Overall, I thought the tribute was very well done.

• Donna says:

I absolutely agree. I knew that my tears would be flowing freely during Rachel’s performance, but Mr. Schu sobbing into Finn’s jacket just broke my heart. Dear Finn, “I just can’t stop loving you.”

17. Romy says:

Little mistake, Michael: they started with Season of Love

18. Ringgo says:

Lea Michele’s trembling voice always gets me every time.. Can’t help to shed some tears during her scenes

19. -- says:

The hardest thing about this episode is that it’s not just the characters crying. The actors are actually crying and the emotion is so real. And Lea Michele. Bless her.

• Angela says:

Exactly. I’m the sort who gets teary when I see fictional characters on TV crying. In this case, knowing they weren’t simply acting with these emotions, that just got at me even more.

20. Lolo says:

I cried the entire time. Beautifully done and heartbreaking. Sobbed so hard. I met Cory when he filmed a movie in my city, he seamed so genuine and kind hearted and had a great attitude towards his fans with a amazing smile for everyone. He was so nice, and took time to talk. One of my most memorable days meeting him. RIP Cory.

21. Rebecca says:

Romy was amazing and the scene with Mike and Chris was one if the most moving in the show. But Lea is the definition of grace, beauty and strength. Her pain so raw you can see her shaking. Breathtaking.

22. elaine1014 says:

They had me at Seasons of Love. Tears are still flowing.

23. Robbie says:

Where was Quinn though?

• Kat says:

Can it stop for just one day? This episode wasn’t about Quinn, and it didn’t need to be.

• will says:

Why is this not a valid question? You dont like it then move on.

• Kat says:

Quinn fans have attempted to make this tribute all about her since it has been announced. Yes, it would have been nice, but she wasn’t in it. It happened. Enough is enough.

• Tamara says:

Thank you! All I’ve heard is how Dianna Agron isn’t going to be in it because *insert drama* and then a handful of Quinn fans whining about how the episode ‘wouldn’t be the same without her’. No offense to Quinn or Quinn fans, but she’s barely made an impact in the last two seasons at least, and this tribute is about Finn, not New Direction, not Kurt and not even Rachel (evidenced by Lea Michele’s grace in only appearing at the end instead of being the whole episode as one would’ve expected). Just have some respect.

• Alice says:

Calm down not everyone checks into the Glee fandom to know what is going on 24/7 an innocent fan asked an innocent question.

• MissMel says:

Not everyone is as up on all the “drama” surrounding the Glee cast as people like you and Alice seem to be. I have way too much going on in my own life to worry about who hates who and I had no clue who would be appearing on the tribute episode until it aired. I was actually genuinely surprised that Quinn wasn’t there, but I just assumed the actress had a conflict. Before you jump down someone’s throat, maybe you could take a moment to get over yourself and realize that sometimes a question is just a question. It’s not necessarily a nefarious plan to make this all about Quinn.

• Amanda says:

But Quinn was his original girlfriend. So it would make sense for her to be at least as sad as Santana. I also wondered why she wasn’t included.

• Tyler says:

I am who I am. Two minutes into Glee and I’m already crying.

• Katie says:

It was due to scheduling conflicts. Nothing more than that.

• namie says:

do your goggling, katie. it wasn’t scheduling conflicts. murphy didn’t invite agron back because of personal and professional differences. and it seems lea michelle agreed with her temperamental boss who couldn’t get his head out of his bleep for the sake of cory. i’m no quinn/dianna fan (heck, i gave up on glee after its last good season), but it would’ve made sense for finn’s 1st love to have been there to say goodbye. she meant more to him than santana ever did.

• itis about Cory not rayn dianan drama says:

That is tabloid BS. That article also said that Dianna was not a team player and Lea never like Dianna so we know they are lying.

• Sean C. says:

Not according to Dianna Agron herself in the New York Post, where she stated she wasn’t in the episode because Murphy didn’t ask her back.

• Ruby says:

God, SERIOUSLY. Not everyone is obsessed with Quinn.

• Dan Que says:

All this talk about Quinn/Dianna seem pretty silly after Quinn DID appear for the 100th show. Who cares who likes who, or what the reason is? If that is your focus rather than the tragedy that we all just had unfold before us, then you may want to examine your motives. It would have been nice to see Dianna there, she wasn’t, now back to the show. I cried the minute I realized what this episode was about. Seasons of love was AWESOME. Everyone did an amazing job. Finn Hudson was an amazing character, Cory did an outstanding job at bringing Finn to life. May he be at peace, and no longer fighting with the alcohol & drugs.

24. meem says:

Can someone win an Emmy for one scene? if so, send the statue directly to Romy Rosemont. That scene in Finn’s bedroom absolutely gutted me.

25. Kate says:

Romy Rosemont had me sobbing. My face is raw from the salt of tears. Those first two seasons were a gift. Thank you Glee.

26. Princess Adora says:

It was really well done. I’m also glad they didn’t state a cause of death. In the end I guess it really doesn’t matter.

Did he really say that? (The show must go…all over the place…or something) I can’t place that quote.

• Kim says:

It was in that horrible “Night of Neglect” episode… when Mercedes is being a diva and demanding a dog to dry her feet on… LOL

• Jenny says:

I don’t know if he ever said it. But I had to smile at the “or something” part because that sounds like something Finn would say.

• Tom says:

One of the episodes in the first few seasons, I can’t remember if it was Sectionals or Regionals when he was telling a panicking Rachel “The show must go… all over the place.. or something”.

• Jammin' John says:

I thought it was Mercedes….who could keep anything straight thru that superbly done episode? But I do remember the comment: It doesn’t matter how he died….I only care how he lived…

27. Kelly says:

OMG. I just had to take a Sudafed from all my crying. Perfect. RIP darling Cory

28. Kathy says:

I cried the full hour. The show did a great job with a tough situation. Puck singing to the empty seat; Kurt consoling Mercedes with Finn’s letterjacket, and finally Mr. She crying into the same letterjacket. Nicely done, Glee.

29. 80s says:

This episode was refreshingly real and honest. I couldn’t help but to tie things back to my own life and my experiences with grief.

30. pete says:

nothing tragic about losing a drug addcit

• 80s says:

Friendly reminder: don’t feed the trolls.

• Alex H. says:

That’s funny, I don’t remember ever watching an episode where Finn did drugs. But nice try troll.

• para says:

It’s about the character you ugly heart

• cbelin says:

As tragic as losing a non-drug addict. Just because someone suffers from a drug addiction doesn’t make their life any less valuable especially to the people who love them. Everyone has issues and problems, and I’m sure Pete, you probably also have a few skeletons in your closest, even if it’s not “drug addiction.” Grow a heart, and lose the dick, and find some compassion. Perhaps you should pray about it!

• lovelyboredom says:

yep, nothing tragic about losing someone to cancer.

• Chris says:

Why does being an addict make you a bad person? It doesn’t. It means you have a weakness. We all have a weaknesses. For some it’s chocolate, others sex, some it’s drugs. Doesn’t make them any less of a person.

• Sorry I meant it to be sarcastic. I view addiction as an illness as serious and more chornic then a lot of other illnesses. It bugs me when people think addicts are all crum bums.

• Cathy says:

There absolutely is, and it’s sad that you can’t see it. He was well loved, and actually how he died didn’t matter, because he’s gone, and they are going to always feel that loss. My ex-husband died last year, and I think about him every day. My son lost his father, and they can never reconcile, or tell each other that they love each other, ever again. If that isn’t a tragedy, I don’t know what is. If you only see one aspect of someone, whether it’s their tragedies or their triumphs, then you are dismissing all the good and bad, and what makes them a person who contributes to society. My ex-husband had a huge smile, and loved to make people laugh, until his issues took over. You can be dismissive all you want, and may actually believe what you wrote, but the pain, the love, doesn’t go away for the people who cared for Cory Monteith. And if that is how you really feel, you may want to re-think how you treat people, because you should be better than that. We all should.

31. MB says:

My heart aches. So sad and knowing that even though this was a tv show It was real. They were truly mourning someone that they cared about, a real person. I absolutely adore Lea Michele and have the utmost respect for her. She is incredible. I do pray that in time she can find love and happiness again. She deserves it and has so much to give.

32. Alex H. says:

My God. I knew I’d tear up but man, I didn’t know I’d lose it the way I did. And I wasn’t even a fan of Finn, so I can’t even imagine how hard this was for those who loved Finn. For me it was not just the scenes (though the scenes with his mother and Rachel had me crying the most) but the fact that all of those emotions were real. Farewell Finn, farewell Cory. May he rest in peace.

33. Leanna says:

The entire cast and crew did a fantastic job on the episode. I was up to 5 tissues before the scene with Mr Schue and the jacket. It was all over after that.

34. Sooz says:

It was sad and I cried, but I actually found some of the show poorly written. Mr. Schue’s acting was pretty bad as well. I think they should have pushed the season opener back to this episode and not worried about the Beatles episodes just yet. I really thought this episode could have been better.

There were very good moments (Burt, Kurt and Finn’s mom; Rachael’s song), but it could have been so much better.

35. david says:

for me (and this is my opinion) i felt it started off a bit cheesy but got better as the episode progressed and you could feel everyone’s emotions

36. GTS says:

Don’t do drugs, kids.

37. Ashley says:

Where were Britney and Quinn???

• Stacey says:

Heather was very pregnant when they shot this. And Brittany had left. Quinn was the only suspect one, but they gave themselves a out in that they mentioned that the memorial at McKinley was for those who wanted to go, or could get away. So Quinn probably went to the funeral, but couldn’t come back for the event Shue was holding.

38. Jake says:

I miss Cory monteith and Finn — so incredibly sad. I too have been in shock for months and sad and now I’ve cried. Romy rosemont deserves an Emmy nod– given such great material and just heartbreaking. Amber’s first song was so sad to me because Finn sang it. Incredible episode and series, I hope viewers continue to watch this great show. You are deeply missed Corey.

• Donna says:

Even before Cory died, Finn’s singing “I’ll Stand by You” to the fetus he thought he fathered just made me melt. Now I can barely watch him start that song without dissolving into tears. Cory had such talent and was just beginning to show the depth and breadth of it. It’s just so sad. The tribute episode helped to bring closure regarding Finn, but I will always mourn Cory.

39. Angie S says:

Dammit haven’t even watched the episode yet, and I’m crying.

40. Greg says:

Screw Ryan for not asking Dianna to come back.

• Tyler says:

It was scheduling. She’s been busy since she left Glee. It wasn’t anything personal.

• Sean C. says:

No, it wasn’t. Dianna explicitly said she wasn’t asked back.

The stuff about Lea not wanting her back is probably pure tabloid, though. It would almost certainly all be on Murphy.

• Jazzy says:

Screw you for making this about that less than mediocre actress.

• namie says:

no, jazzy. greg is right – screw ryan murphy for making this about HIS ego and pride. he couldn’t even let bygones be bygones for just a week to tape this episode with the one who played finn’s first love? it’s not even about who the actress is – mediocre or not – nor is this about what their differences are; if he was utterly sincere about giving cory/finn a heartfelt goodbye, murphy should’ve been professional enough to put their differences aside for one freaking second for the love of his friend.

• Riley says:

Here’s my not so important .02 cents. We don’t know what those relationships were like at the end of Cory’s life. I literally have no clue. But to be devil’s advocate…if the cast was struggling with grief filming this and having tension on the set would’ve caused more stress then I can see it going this way. When I had a death in my immediate family I chose not to interact with someone who I and my deceased family member were not on good terms with. Couldn’t deal with until much later. In short, I don’t feel owed a DA sighting because I am not inside that dynamic and this episode was not about me. Have a good night all.

• S. says:

Differences? Proof please. All people are going off of is speculative gossip by Radar Online. Dianna was at Cory’s memorial for the cast and hugged Lea so obviously she’s not persona non grata. Saying Ryan and Lea didn’t want her back is ridiculous. After the current cast, Ryan said the ones who came back were former cast who heard about the tribute and called asking to take part. If Dianna didn’t call, that’s on her. Besides, stopping for an ex-girlfriend to mourn as well would take the air out of the moving scenes with Rachel, Kurt, Puck, Shue, Mercedes, and Santana. You’d have to take the time to write more than a number for Quinn. You’d have to acknowledge their connection, how he was a great guy and she probably felt guilty for how she treated him, followed by some sort of conversation with Santana or Rachel given what they were going through. Kurt was already doing that for both of them, and it gave them a way to put the jacket in Santana’s hands. Santana had the Sue part covered because she was the Cheerio who had the fiery outbursts, not Quinn. Bieste was the one who comforted Puck. How many subplots could that show hold? The relationship-grief position was held by Rachel. Two gf mourning segments would be too much. There wasn’t anything for Quinn to do that was uniquely hers without dredging up things that are hardly a good thing to think about. Last time I checked, Quinn lied about a baby being his for a very long time and slept with his best friend. She wanted to be with him in part because of the status of being a cheerleader dating the QB. Not the best ex even if she grew up as a person and became nice. The newbies didn’t have time to say or do squat, not even Blaine besides hold Kurt’s hand.

• Cheri says:

The episode was not about Dianna, or Quinn. It was about Finn, Cory, and how he affected people in their lives. Deanna has made a new live outside of Glee, be proud of her. Let your prejudices go. The fans are the only ones who keep that pot stirred. I’m glad Dianna has made movies and is going on past Glee. I’m proud of her accomplishments. Finn’s tribute had nothing to do with her IMO. I’m proud of Glee for their writing and the cast and crew on this episode, it was wonderful. Thanks for the wonderful memories.

41. Motherteresa says:

I cried though entire episode. I don’t know how they all managed to get through it especially Lea? :( The hardest parts to watch was of course Lea singing and the family putting his clothes in boxes. When the mother broke down I lost it. The show was so beautifully done. RIP Cory :( :(. We will miss you.

42. para says:

this is soooo sad… and ryan murphy and co. wrote this episode with so much respect and love .

it was so appropriate and so so real…

Lea michele… you had me crying the moment you walked in the choir room..

i havent cried since two years ago and this episode should be remmembered as the best episode of glee.

43. Lina says:

The second I heard what had been chosen for an opening number I knew I was done for… Tears and more tears. I haven’t cried this much since General Hospital killed off B.J. And gave her heart to save Maxie! This was worse actually because it was real… And you could tell that Leah Michelle was playing Leah Michelle.

44. GS says:

The bedroom scene was fantastic! As a mom, I toyly got what she was saying and it tore at my heart. She did an amazing job in that scene. I thought the whole episode was so well done. Not easy to watch but so worth it! Awesome, awesome job!

45. Ansa says:

Cried the whole way through. He was a beautiful human being…it just radiates through the screen. I needed to see him sing….RIP Cory…((((Lea)))))

46. Stacey says:

RIP Cory. RIP Finn. I believe they did as well as could be expected given the sensitivity they gave to it. All the numbers stood with me. Puck (Mark) did a excellent job. How Lea could get through her number. Loved her and Shue together. And the ending was appropriate.

• MLO says:

For me, Mark Salling provided the best and worst moments of the show. The scene in the locker room with Beiste was so overacted – cringe-worthy, really. And then – wow – he blew me away with No Surrender.

• Volcfom says:

I totally agree there. The locker room scene was awful. Both actors overdid it in that one.

• Cate53 says:

So so so true! Horrible over-acting from Salling and the usually lovely Dot Marie Jones who seemed far too over-wrought!

Btw anyone else think Santana’ s initial rant at Sue was basically her own guilt about the horrible way she treated Finn and was a mega bitch to everyone. She called Sue on her behaviour when really she was talking about herself … That was my take anyway.

• Joel says:

Was it just me, or did Rachel’s story to Mr Schue about how she always thought her and Finn would end up together seem like she was describing a now-abandoned final scene of the final episode of the series. She’d become successful on Broadway, maybe do a Woody Allen movie, and then come back to the choir room to see Finn teaching and when she walked into the room say ‘she’s home’. Probably would have been followed by a final reprise of Don’t Stop Believing.

47. karenb says:

What really kills me is the emotion I saw in Chord Overstreet.

48. MC says:

Not sure if it was scripted or not but what got to me were the shots of the cast as others were singing and you saw some of them not singing. Like it was just too hard. “When emotions get too great for words, singing begins.”

• karenb says:

I noticed that once with Harry Shrum

• Carmen says:

I watched everyone as well. Blaine only sang with the group at the very beginning,had no lines, did not ineract with anyone except with Kurt briefly at the end. He just sat there. I found this strange goven his

• Carmen says:

I watched everyone as well. Blaine only sang with the group at the very beginning,had no lines, did not connect with anyone except with Kurt briefly at the end. He just sat there. I found this strange given all the interaction he had had with Finn,his relationship with Kurt,his closeness with Burt and the fact that he’s practically a member of the Hummel and Hudson family. I didn’t know how to read this character’s behavior and was upset by what i saw and didn’t see him do. Somehow i expected him to be more present and brave and helpful as he usually is. Any insights?

• J says:

I think when situation is tragic it’s Blaine’s coping mechanism – he shut down eg. Shooting Star. Just a different way of grieving.

49. JuliaK says:

I hope the cast members for which this show was hardest – not just Lea but Chris and those who looked so completely hurt – understand how much it meant to all of us and that we have at least a small idea of how hard it was for them. But it was a beautiful way to remember and mourn Cory (and Finn) and I will always be grateful to them for that.