NBC Plans Comedic Remington Steele Sequel – Who Would You Like to See Man the New Agency?

Get More: News

Remington Steele Sequel NBCLovers of ’80s primetime drama, Steele yourselves.

NBC is eyeing a sequel to its Reagan-era detective series Remington Steele — only the new project is a half-hour comedy, our sister site Deadline reports.

The undertaking, also named Remington Steele, would center on Olivia Holt, daughter of Remington Steele and Laura Holt (played by Pierce Brosnan and Stephanie Zimbalist in the original version).

RELATED | NBC’s The Blacklist Gets Full Season Pick-Up

In the comedy, Ms. Holt would reopen her parents’ detective agency and soon find herself in the same kind of funny, action-filled situations that provided the background for Remington and Laura’s five-season-long romance.

Ruben Fleischer (Gangster Squad) will direct, with Spin City‘s Jay Scherick and David Ronn writing the script; all three will executive-produce with Heather Petrigala (Community).

RELATED | NBC Orders Rob Lowe Comedy Pilot The Pro

The first Remington Steele, in which private investigator Laura hired con artist Remington in order to appease clients uncomfortable with the notion of a woman solving their cases, traded largely on the chemistry between Zimbalist and Brosnan.

So even though the sequel is only at the script stage, hit the comments and tell us who you’d like to see play Olivia — and who’d be a good, dashing fit for an eventual leading man.

Comments (95)

• This sounds great. I’m 26 and watched the dvds in my early 20′s and feel in love. It would be really great to see Stephanie Zimbalist appear though!

Comment by Kenny – October 9, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also fell in love, lol. I think the show could work well if it goes the route of New Girl, Mindy, etc and exclude the laugh track.

Comment by Kenny – October 9, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s a single camera comedy. Ther hasn’t been one been one with a laugh track in almost a decade. I highly doubt there ever will be one again.

Comment by Zach – October 9, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It would be great if Doris Roberts was still the secretary.

Comment by Templar – October 9, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Doris will be 83 in less than a month, so I doubt she would be interested.

Comment by Larc – October 9, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Bob Newhart, Eli Wallach, Betty White all older and still working. I’d be happy if she just did a cameo.

Comment by Templar – October 10, 2013 10:18 AM PDT
  • Don’t know which character Pierce Brosnan will always be known for: Remington Steele or James Bond 007.

Comment by Tran 2.0 – October 9, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bond. Only reason Remington Steele arguably lasted as long as it did was the hype around Brosnan becoming Bond, and his first outing as Bond injected the franchise with enough new live to live through three more disappointing films.

Comment by Spinning Maze – October 9, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So the reason a show lasted as long as it did from 1982-1987 is becasue Brosnan became Bond in 1995?

Comment by Big Mike – October 9, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Remington Steele was cancelled in 1986, but was revived when Brosnan was announced to be the next James Bond. Because his contract was still in effect, Brosnan had to turn down the Bond role, giving us Timothy Dalton instead.

Comment by Skip – October 9, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If you would like to improve your experience only keep visiting this web page and be updated with the latest information posted here.

Comment by Lucille – October 15, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Remington Steele was a Top 20 show for all of its tenure.

Comment by eridapo – October 10, 2013 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Your facts are wrong. I doubt it since the show aired before Pierce became Bond. The show was great because of the chemistry among the three main characters. Pierce has amazing comedic timing. THAT’S why it lasted and should have lasted longer but Pierce did want that James Bond role which happened the last year of production.

Comment by Lily – October 10, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does no one in Hollywood have an original thought in their head? I am so sick of the remakes, reworks and sequels. Just come up with something NEW!

Comment by Bobbi – October 9, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • try checking out an R.G. internet art film on Youtube…The Shark II Wicked Beast or The Kasier Island Return of Ace Thunder…all of these art films are made as NON-profit films not biding for your moines cause they are not Marketable in anyway…Trust me…but they are diffrent…R.G.

Comment by R.G. studio's (@RG_internet_Art) – October 9, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Originality does not exist in Hollywood anymore.

Creative and fresh ideas don’t exist in Hollywood anymore.

Reboots and Remakes do NOT work and that was proven with V and Melrose Place and Knight Rider.

None of those shows were successful and quickly became forgotten.

Remington Steele was not a comedy or anywhere near a comedy and it shouldn’t be associated with comedy.

A reboot of it would be disrespectful to not only the actors but also the fans of the series.

I hope that NBC does not pick up this mess and bring it to series because it would be a disaster.

I don’t think that any leading woman today is worthy of being associated with such an iconic show.

What will they try to reboot next?

BTVS??? Charmed?? Mannix?? I Dream of Jeannie?? Twin Peaks??

When will it end and when will the networks wake up and that Reboots are not what the viewers want??

Oh and if anyone wants to say that Dallas and 90210 were successful reboots, remember that a fair lot of the original casts were instrumental in helping them get there.

Somebody really needs to fix “Reagan”.

Comment by Lexiana May – October 9, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree completely.

Comment by lori – October 9, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Original ideas usually come through brainpower and hard work. They are both extremely scarce commodities in Hollywood.

Comment by Larc – October 9, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, it was extremely popular, and what is wrong with remakes? Today, the schlock on tv is pretty bad. It’s rare that a comedy comes along that relies on clever dialogue that’s really funny, rather than most of the current low humor of scatological references and sexual innuendo prevalent in most “comedy” shows on air. That’s why Castle is refreshing.

Comment by ne – October 31, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling for Remington Steele!!!!!!!

Comment by ninamags – October 9, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It would a sequel, no remake. This version wouldn’t need a new Remington Steele.

Comment by Dani – October 9, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zachary Levi

Comment by Marie – October 9, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ok, I would so watch that. Love Zachary Levi.

Comment by RJ – October 9, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly!

Comment by Amanda – October 9, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh yes please!

Comment by Lisa London – October 10, 2013 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!

Comment by Jamey – October 10, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does NBC just look through the Universal library and find something new to ruin every year? When is Riptide coming back?

Comment by Craig – October 9, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe Man from Atlantis??

Comment by Sean T – October 9, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Remington Steele isn’t a Universal property.

Comment by Abe Froman – October 9, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TJ Hooker…? hahahha. joking, please don’t attack.

Comment by jdbasset – October 9, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dan Feuerriegel :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 9, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A comedy?!? Ugh, this thing will be DOA. I could see it if they did it tongue in cheek like the Mentalist, but I recall RS being mostly mystery drama.

Comment by Amy – October 9, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THe Mentalist, tounge in cheek? Are you thinking of Psych? The Mentalist is just Psych with the humor removed.

Comment by Zach – October 9, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Mentalist has a lot of humor that is worthy of a chuckle. For some of us, Psych is an unwatchable mess, full of lots of cringes but no actual humor.

Comment by MaryAnn – October 10, 2013 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I would not like to meet any of you.

Comment by Justin – October 10, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 21 Jump Street (the movie) was a comedic reinterpretation of a popular 80s drama and it was the complete opposite of DOA, earning like $200 million and great reviews.

Comment by Williwasnt – October 9, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just seeing the 21 Jump Street trailers left me really wishing for a serious remake. It appeared to be as bad as Depp’s remake of Dark Shadows. And of course both of these joined the unwatchable remake of Miami Vice. Why on earth do all the remakes of iconic tv series have to have “humor” injected into them? It would be really great to see a serious, suspenseful remake of any or all of these.

Comment by MaryAnn – October 10, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I couldn’t agree more, the only one I might get around to watching is Dark Shadows because it did seem like it might be funny, but I still hated the fact that they made it a comedy instead of a serious horror movie more like the original show! As for the others I wouldn’t watch them even if I was trapped somewhere and bored out of my skull and they were the only DVDs I had to watch! They also did a comedy of Starsky And Hutch, which was so annoying too! First they should make a hour long show, that is like the original show, but is a sequel still and a drama with some humor like the original, not a half hour comedy! I rarely watch comedies in the first place so I am sure as heck not watching a show that I know should be a drama, made from a show that was a drama that’s been turned into a stupid comedy! I wont watch any of the movies done that way, so why would I watch a TV show done that way! Oh and while I am here, I hate what they did to the Lone Ranger And Tonto, Johnny Depp as Tonto was and insult to Native Americans, there are allot of Native American actors out there that could have played that role and should have, even if they were going to make it funny too!

Comment by Clara Johnson (@claramjAnnaTorv) – October 18, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is everyone suggesting male actors when they said the lead character would be a female??

I think Jennifer Garner would be good, but maybe too old for the role if they are thinking she will be a twenty something? Ellen Page would be good to front a comedy like this if she switched over from film to TV… Or Eliza Cuthbert… I’d like to see her get another sitcom!

Comment by Lindsey – October 9, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cool you noted the male suggestions, void of a female! Isn’t it a hoot, considering the premise of the first show? It was a superb show because Stephanie is a superb actor and Pierce studied Cary Grant.

Comment by prish – October 9, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Eliza Cuthbert…really?

Comment by Sheryl – October 9, 2013 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perhaps because Michael asked for leading man suggestions?

Comment by meem – October 9, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yah, sorry I didn’t catch that, and I love the TVLine site tons, but it is still funny asking about leading man suggestions, isn’t it? It’s ok, though, since it shows the concept is ripe for another series, if you get my drift.

Comment by prish – October 9, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she doesn’t work out on whatever show she just left Grey’s Anatomy for then I’d love to see Tina Majorino front a sitcom! She is great, and looks like a cross of Brosnan and Zimbalist!

Comment by Lindsey – October 9, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eddie McClintock… Since Warehouse 13 only has a 5 ep order for it’s last season, and he doesn’t have anything currently locked up afterwards. He’s got great comedic timing and his boy-next-door look is the perfect opposite to Brosnan. Let’s face it, the original can’t be recreated so it’s better not to try.

As for the lead…. much harder, especially since there’s nothing about what age Olivia is supposed to be. But I’m thinking Eliza Dushku. She has the right look to be their daughter, and despite some bad luck with her last few projects she’s actually a very good actress.

Comment by Zeph – October 9, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zachary Levi!

Comment by Stephanie – October 9, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As who? There is no Remington Steele in this comedy.

Comment by cjinsd – October 9, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Reagan” is not spelled correctly!

Comment by katrina – October 9, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! Can we have both Zimbalist and Brosnan do a cameo in this? I am in love with original RS and would love to see the sequel

Comment by Dragonfly – October 9, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t mind a sequel, but why make it a comedy?

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 9, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s next, a Scarecrow and Mrs. King revival?

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 9, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shhhhhhhhhhh….

Comment by kajar – October 9, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I actually watched that show….lol

Comment by Jamey – October 10, 2013 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good Lord. Is NBC going to reboot “Manimal” too?

Comment by bill – October 9, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see the young man that plays the lead in Arrow (tv series), to play Remmington Steele and Cote de Pablo play the part of Laura Holt

Comment by Jude – October 9, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And Burke’s Law and Soap and Emergency [ where is Randolph Mantooth anyway?], and Adam 12 and … oh hell why not … Car 54.

Comment by Templar – October 9, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds great. I love the original series and would like to see how they impart the same “flavor” to the offspring version.

Comment by Linda – October 9, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kevin Ryan from BBCA’s Copper

Comment by Dianna Lee Mims – October 9, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AnnaLynne McCord as Olivia; David Conrad as the new male lead.

It would be worthwhile though if Stephanie Zimbalist and Pierce Brosnan returned!

Comment by B – October 9, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This would work better as an hour long dramedy.
    And maybe Laura and Remy’s daughter might be adopted so it’s possible for someone like Gugu Mbatha-Raw to play her (and for her to have an accent!) and opposite Tahmoh Penikett.

Comment by Loki – October 9, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristen Bell of course!

Comment by TK – October 9, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! Strong professional lady, bossy, a bit control freaky…

Comment by redjane12 – October 10, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wentworth Miller as the dashing leading man.

Comment by Jon – October 9, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was interested until I saw the words “half-hour comedy”. Sorry, not my thing. Now if they were to do it as a hour-long light drama, Castle style, I would be there (depending on the casting of course).

Comment by JC – October 9, 2013 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A tough, smart, beautiful female investigator with her handsome and cultured male sidekick who run around and solve outlandish cases — This show already exists on Monday nights on ABC. It’s called Castle!! I’ve just saved you tons of money, time, and wasted energy, NBC. Please move on and reboot something else, like making an hour-long dramatic reboot of Different Strokes or a half-hour, multi-camera comedy reboot of LA Law transformed into a wacky workplace sitcom like News Radio. Please, NBC, do not take the above sarcastic suggestions seriously.

Comment by DJ Nachreiner – October 9, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Geoff Sults. I liked him on The Finder. He could bring his co-star Mercedes with him. Or Jason Segal will be available when HIMYM ends.

Comment by Kathy – October 9, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For Olivia Holt, I’d go with Georgina Haig. She was the best thing about 2036 on Fringe & would be great here. For the dashing male lead – I’d team her back up with Henry Ian Cusick or go with Anton Yelchin.

Comment by Matt Hickman (@hemo_jr) – October 9, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch the heck out of a FULL remake of Remington Steele- it was one of my favorite shows as a kid.

This pseudo-sequel idea sounds utterly dreadful.

Comment by Whimsical – October 9, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Next year: Manimal 2014!

Comment by Sheila – October 9, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the original mentalist !

Comment by Maxime Archambault-Chapleau – October 9, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My vote is for Jason O’Mara and Sarah Jones. They had a good chemistry in Vegas, and they were good at incidental humbor. My husband insists Remington Steele’s strength was its incidental humor. He’s the comic genius of the family, me having more of a dramatic eye. We were huge fans.

Comment by prish – October 9, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it might work out but it would be nice to see pierce brosnan and stephanie zimbalist to reprise there role in it and if this doesn’t work maybe do a remake remington seele and have pirce rosnan and steephanie zimbalist cameo as long as there is cameo role by pircce brosnan aand stephanie zimbalist

Comment by Tristan John Wannet – October 9, 2013 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they did a 21 jumpstreet movie comedy when the original show was drama so why not try it out

Comment by Tristan John Wannet – October 9, 2013 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Canceling RS was one of the worst decisions of Brandon Tartikoff. Man was a genius, but RS was a classic Top 20 show.

Comment by eridapo – October 10, 2013 12:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show as a kid but not sure about a sequel. Feel like they shouldn’t taint the legacy.

Comment by Ella – October 10, 2013 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just had a flashback to the horrid cartoon Emergency+4 where Universal turned one of my favorite shows when I was growing up, Emergency, into a kids cartoon. This Remington Steele remake has bad idea written all over it unless they change it so much that it wouldn’t be recognizable if it weren’t for the RS name attached to it.

Comment by Jimpy – October 10, 2013 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Romantic comedy disguised as procedural…Castle has shown with good writing and well-casted leads, it can work. Should probably look at going down that route instead of half-hour comedy that will no doubt tank hard.

Comment by Apples – October 10, 2013 01:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TOM WELLING!!!perfect man for that role has charisma and charm to spare!

Comment by mary – October 10, 2013 03:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see Zachary Levi and Yvonne Strahovski take on these roles. Call it “Chuck: 10 Years Later”.

Comment by David7118 – October 10, 2013 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alexis Denisof as the dashing guy. As for Olivia – no clue

Comment by Znachki – October 10, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Daniel Craig is the obvious choice, isn’t he?

Comment by Joshua Bentley – October 10, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leighton Meester would be a great Olivia … Matt Bomer for the dashing guy!

Comment by bbjlawyer – October 10, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling and Cassidy Freeman! Yes!!!

Comment by yulia – October 10, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Vance. Is Transporter the Series still being made?

Comment by Deion – October 10, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm..how old do the kids have to be? Pierce is just about 60 now so conceivably his kids could be in their 40s, though I doubt they’ll cast anyone that age. Pierce had (and still has) so much charisma, I just can’t think of anyone in their early 30s at this point. I would have said Jon Tenney or Mark-Paul Gosselaar but both have great shows of their own and both are probably too old. I’d vote for Ryan Gossling I guess but who knows if he’d do TV? As for the females…Mila Kunis or Brenda Song (if Dads gets cancelled). Those two get my vote. And then there needs to be a 2nd banana foil. Rhea Perlman although, she’s going to be starring in a new TV Land comedy with Kirstie Allie. So…I’m not sure.

Comment by MK204 – October 10, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People do not forget that 1987 was 26 years ago, so getting the actor and actress over 40 do not make sense, I vote for Mila Kunis or Lucy Hale

Comment by Dragonfly – October 10, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely no to Mila Kunis. Definately doomed with her.

Comment by Tina – October 11, 2013 12:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If he weren’t already doing Wbite Collar, the most delightful answer would be Matt Bomer!

Comment by DALE SULLIVAN – October 11, 2013 03:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post