Recap: Our Long Nashville Nightmare Is Over

Nashville Season 2 RecapPraise Reba, Miss Rayna Jaymes is officially back on the market!

Teddy and his missus finally end their marriage in this week’s Nashville, and… oh hey there, Liam. What an opportune time for you to show your Brooklyn-bearded face again!

Meanwhile, Deacon starts to pull himself together, trouble follows Juliette to Maryland and Scarlett turns into Honkytonk Barbie. Let’s review the major developments of “I Don’t Wanna Talk About It Now.”

RELATED | Nashville First Look: Will Chase Gets Off to a Smashing Start With Rayna

ON THE DOTTED LINE | Teddy and Rayna meet to sign the papers, and boom! Their marriage is done. They part after agreeing that they both love their daughters and want each other to be happy, but I can’t speak to the particulars: I was in the kitchen, baking celebratory chocolate-chip cookies to enjoy with the milky blandness of this scene.

Teddy spends the rest of the episode deciding what kind of relationship he wants to have with Peggy’s kid. A visit from Deacon (which we will deconstruct in great detail later) makes Teddy reconsider his plan to be just the monthly check-deliverer, and Peggy uses his waffling to her great advantage. They end the episode in a liplock, but the fact that she caresses her (vacant) abdomen and makes crazy eyes as she talks about naming the baby Theodore means this will not end well. Oh Pegs, don’t you watch Glee? Or any daytime soap?

VIDEO | Nashville‘s Connie Britton on Post-Coma Rayna and Her Multiple ‘Fellas’

TROUBLE IS… | While Juliette waits for a meeting with Jeff, Layla runs up and fangirls all over her. Ju’s face says, “Look upon my diva hair and fear me,” but she contents herself with rolling her eyes and likening Layla’s performance at the Edgehill party to karaoke. The wide-eyed (or is she?) reality-show runner-up scurries off, and Juliette meets with new boss Jeff. He wants to make nice by inviting Juliette to perform at a bash for the company’s stockholders, but she smugly tells him she can’t: She’s got a private gig for multimedia mogul Charlie Wentworth and his wife in Maryland that night. “I’ll send ya some crabs,” she cracks as she leaves. (Side note: With those hipster frames, isn’t Glenn a little “I was into making stars of promising pre-teens before it was cool”? Discuss.)

Avery and the band accompany Juliette to the Wentworth’s lavish estate, where even Ms. Barnes can’t hide her awe at the palatial home. I really dig the dorked-out vibe Avery and Juliette share as they walk around the grounds, particularly when she teases him, “I’m glad you’re here – maybe they’ll be so busy paying attention to your bad manners, they won’t notice mine.” That genuine smile looks good on you, Juliette. You should wear it more often.

RELATED | TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs From Nashville, Criminal Minds and More

‘ELLO ‘ELLO ‘ELLO! | Avery and Julia meet Charlie Wentworth, a young, hot, rich Brit who’s brought in Ju as a birthday present for his superfan wife, Olivia. Charlie is cool and fun and has more money than God, evidenced by the fact that he collects Hank Williams’ guitars. Avery nearly passes out in joy when Charlie hands him one to prep for that evening’s performance. “Aww, you gonna tune it or breastfeed it, baby?” Juliette gently mocks Avery after her host departs.

That night, Ju performs a fun tune called “Trouble Is” for Olivia, Charlie and their guests. Charlie even sits in with the band and later nuzzles his perfectly lovely little wife – what a good husband he is! There’s no way he’d ever… oh wait, he’s totally going to mack on JuJu, isn’t he?

She and Avery have a falling out (he’s upset she referred to him as just someone “on the payroll,” she’s displeased that he gets a little too truthful about her inability to trust people – and fires him because of it), then Juliette gets tipsy on champagne and winds up running into Charlie, who leads her to her room. He makes it clear he wants to stage a British invasion of her panties, and she resists for all of 10 seconds before her inhibitions drop like your iPhone the minute the AppleCare warranty runs out.

RELATED | 15 Fresh Faces of Fall TV — Where You’ve Seen ‘Em and Which Roles Are Worth Repeat Viewing?

VOICE YOUR CONCERNS | Rayna wants to finish the album she started with Liam, but he’s ice cold to her at a meeting. “I’m booked, pretty solidly in fact. Sorry,” he says, walking away. But when she gets home, he’s already there, and he’s brought the hard drives containing her tracks. (Wait, did he transport them in a leather satchel? Baller! If I return something of yours, it’s going to arrive in a pseudo-disposable Lululemon bag – and that’s if I like you.)

Bucky leaves the room so the pair can flirt even more egregiously than they already are; during the drive between the meeting and Casa Rayna, Liam has apparently gotten over her choosing Deacon instead of him last season. “I’m very sorry that I did not go with you to St. Lucia,” she purrs, re-establishing their musical partnership – and then some.

Later, after Jeff has asked her to perform at a concert for Edgehill stockholders, Rayna confesses something potentially career-ending to Liam: “I can’t sing.” I’m momentarily distracted by the fabulous vintage Britton shot we get on the Home album cover hanging behind Rayna, but then I’m back for the important stuff: Her post-accident intubation did her vocal chords no favors, hence her warbling woes. (Side note: Rather than just have her tell Liam this huge news, Nashville, it might’ve been cool to see her try a tune and realize she was in trouble.)

Liam promises to delay the album as long as possible, all the better to hide the fact that the First Lady of Country Music can’t string together a do-re-mi right now. A kiss on the couch leads to them in bed, afterglowing it up in the next scene. “I told you I’m a great producer,” he tells her. And apparently quick, too! (Might not wanna include that one in the liner notes, Ray.)

THE CHANGE-UP | Will and Scarlett are both attending Edgehill concert, wearing looks designed by stylists hired by the label. Will’s “makeover” is what he normally wears, just in black. Edgy! Scarlett, however, is outfitted in a bustier, heels and a flouncy, short skirt. As much as I don’t love her Lisa Loebish regular duds, this ensemble is so not what Scar’s all about. (And that’s the point, I realize.) Gunnar, however, seems to love the fact that his ex’s Conway Twitties are being served on a neck-high platter for everyone at the show to see.

Will is once more asserting his absolutely unassailable straightness by squiring Zoey to the concert. “Eyes off, man. She’s my date!” he jokes to his roommate. Gunnar Is. Not. Worried. At the show, Will performs one of Gunnar’s new songs and gives him a massive shout-out beforehand. “Best songwriter in Nashville” is probably a stretch, but it’s a kind gesture, nonetheless. In the crowd, Gunny’s not happy – part of me understands that he wanted to perform the song for the first time himself, but most of me  knows that Will did him a huge favor, so stop doing that lame headshake of lameness, dude. Gunnar and Zoey later take off together.

Meanwhile, via a secret switch with Rayna, Scarlett performs in her mentor’s place. Jeff? Not happy at all. Hence this mustache-twirling exchange: JEFF: “Who does this woman think she is?” BRENT: “Someone who clearly doesn’t know who you are.” Anyone else want to see Liam slap Jeff with his man scarf (oh yeah, it’s back) and challenge him to a duel?

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Scoop on Your Favorite Shows, Including Nashville, Castle and SVU

MAKING AMENDS | Deacon is having trouble sleeping. Deacon is going to meetings. Deacon is accepting help for his hand from his doctor. But all of that doesn’t mean Deacon is being much nicer to the people who love him — such as Coleman, who finds Deke to tell him he’s moving out of town. Deacon’s sponsor also dogs him to make peace with his memories of childhood abuse, so he can heal himself on the inside. And though Claybourne growls and grimaces a lot, he eventually gets up at his substance-abuse meeting and cries as he relates a time his father physically and emotionally abused his mother and sister. “I’m a drunk, just like him. And I hurt people, just like him,” Deacon says, thumbing away tears. But Deke has never hurt a child, and he vows he never will. Poor Deacon. Progress hurts.

I’m betting, though, that nothing smarts as much as what Teddy says to his rival at another point in the episode. Deacon comes to Tedster’s office and wants to talk about Maddie. “I’m here to tell you that you’re her father,” Deacon says, apologizing for what he’s done. Teddy scoffs at the peace offering, calling it just one of the 12 steps (real nice, Teds), but he does have a point when he says that Deacon can’t just fade out of Maddie’s life: Now that she knows that “Uncle Deacon” is really her dad, she’s going to watch what he does forever.

Deacon tries to end the conversation with class, saying, “I appreciate the choices you made back then. A lesser man might’ve done things differently.” Teddy sneers, “A lesser man did.” Burn! Also, Teddy? This is why I hate you.

1. Oh man, I’m wiping away tears… tears of heartbreak and the awesome acting of Charles Esten, tears of anger at Rayna who needs hormone therapy to calm herself down a bit and get her life in order, tears of hatred for Teddy (well, that hasn’t changed) and tears of laughter at Kim’s recap. I’ll just go cry some more into a bowl of ice cream. Great recap as always Kim!

2. mountaineer says:

I love Liam and Rayna! I know I’m in the minority but she needs a long break from Deacon..

3. neha says:

Seconding the awesome acting of Charles Esten. I was in near tears! Liam and Rayna were on fire. I’m also really liking the Juliette and Avery chemistry, but I’m a little disappointed that she slept with a married man.

• Ashley says:

Charles Esten was awesome! Hopefully….he will continue to work on “bettering” himself so he can have a good relationship with Maddie. Looks like her butt runs away next week. I love the Lennon sisters…but this Maddie acting out thing is starting to annoy me. And I recognize that the character just found out life altering information (dad is not her real dad) so she has a right to be hurt I just wish the writers could have come up with something different…than the mean sullen child. I mean..how many times has that been done.

4. Ashley says:

I thought this was a good episode that laid the groundwork for some great future episodes. Teddy..you are such an arse! Getting played by a fake baby couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. Based on Deacon’s recent behavior (acting out and the car crash)…I kind of understand why Teddy and Rayna decided to not to tell Deacon he is Maddie dad…but really that isn’t cool and at the end of the day inexcusable. Therefore Teddy, I am going to need you to get off your high moral horse. So you getting played by Crazy Peggy is what I call… K A R M A !… Juliette…still running away from life (i.e. life and friendships). Sleeping with the hubby…yeah…that’s going to come out soon. Who would have thought that one would feel sorry for Avery. Will…while its great that you helped your friend out…its not so good that you did it without Gunnar’s position. I am not liking his character and I don’t understand the need for Scarlett’s best friend…..who cares! Oliver Hudson knows something up with Rayna…does he really have the time (running a record label) to figure it out?! Rayna….surely you are not giving your voice enough time to heal?

5. Kim, beside Juliette snarky remarks, your recaps are like the comic relief in Nashville and with Deacon and his LONG road for recovery it is much needed. Loved this episode. Think Nashville finally found its way and its authentic voice

6. Tilley says:

Great episode. I loved the stuff between Avery and Juliette. She hurt him, which makes me even more certain as to where this is headed, if she can ever stop sleeping with completely inappropriate men.

The scene between Deacon and Teddy … intense! And Deacon’s confession in AA was rough beautiful all at once.
    And is it just me, or is the role of Scarlett’s mom made for Emily Procter or what?!?! They look and sound so much alike! Would be a great time to bring on that character, now that Deacon is dealing with the abuse that he and his sister endured as kids.

7. Paloma says:

Can we just get rid of Teddy and Peggy? They slow the show down, are irrelevant to the music and the Nashville music scene, and just waste time.

8. Lulu says:

Err…that guitar belonged to the REAL Hank – Hank Senior. No music lover would give a rat’s butt about Hank Jr.

9. Jenny says:

Yes teddy and Peggy need to go away… Move to Alaska or something. Show is great love the drama. True guilty pleasure.

10. Couldn’t decide which line I love most: Julieete saying to Avery about the guitar “Are you tuning it or breastfeeding” or Rayna to Liam at the party “I thought I made your afternoon”.

And Deacon broke my heart. again.

11. GeoDiva says:

Oh JuJu…..a married man who just paid you $1M? Anyone else hoping Peggy goes all SWF on Teddy and we can be donne with him?

12. ABBY says:

Anyone else think sleeping with a guy who’s family owns radio stations and magazines is going to come back and haunt Juliet when his wife somehow finds out?

13. Jen says:

Deacon breaks my heart every week. Couple that with my total hate of Teddy and I was pretty much an emotional wreck this episode!

14. I loved to items show. Liam & Rayna got together high is just a temporary fix till Rayna & Deacon get back together. Scarlet was awesome. I am feeling very sorry for Deacon Teddy needs to just leave the show forever. Peggy is so phony it makes me sick. Can wait till next week.

15. Ava says:

Nashville has hit its’ stride & has become one of my favorite shows (you know, the ones I watch live). Season 2 is fantastic. Juliette & Avery are terrific together and Rayna & Liam sizzle on screen. So glad I stuck with this show through the first season.

16. Sidney.B says:

When will Will and Gunnar get together ? this show sucks I’m only here for them.

17. Luli101 says:

Charles Esten for performer of the Week!!!

18. Monica4185 says:

I’m so disappointed in Rayna. So this is how she going to handle things? Jumping into bed with Liam? I thought she was going to be alone for awhile and work on her relationship with Maddie, that’s what a mature human being would do. And while Deacon is a drunk he had every right to know he had daughter 13 years ago, what Teddy and Rayna did was douchey no matter their reasons. The more I watch the more I feel sorry for Deacon. I can’t stand Will and the record exec. Teddy desrve everything Peggy does to him, what a douche. As for Juliette, no surprise there, of course she is going to sleep with a married man.

• Jill says:

Totally with you on this. Rayna needs to grow up and take responsibility for her actions. As much as she claimed to love Deacon, she doesn’t treat him very well.

• Monica4185 says:

I think Rayna really loves Deacon but she seems to blame everything that happens between them on Deacon and his addiction. While the fact that Deacon is an addictic doesn’t help, everything that is wrong in their relationship is not just his fault, she too contributes in the mess that is their relationship, and she needs to own that.

19. SouthernBelle says:

I guess it’s just me, but I’m finding this season to be a bit dull in comparison to last season. I hope the plot lines pick up because I think the show has the ability to be great. Just not feeling it right now. :(

20. Maggie says:

Loved this episode. Deacon, Scarlett and Rayna are my favorites. Deacon did an amazing job at the AA meeting. Please have Rayna get her voice back and Scarlett is adorable and very real. Great show.

21. Celeste says:

Am I the only one who saw the British husband/philandering pig seducing Juliette thing coming a mile away…or more precisely the minute he walked out of the house and greeted them?

22. shar says:

Still waiting for Rayna and Deacon to get back together and Gunnar and Scarlett. I was hoping Juliet would end up with Avery, not sure if that will ever happen. I think he would be good for her. I can’t stand Will. I wish he would go away.Don’t care for the Teddy/Peggy story. Give me more Rayna/Deacon, Gunnar/Scarlett, & Juliet/Avery.

23. I don’t get the Teddy hate. The man knowingly raised another man’s daughter and loved her as his own, still loves her as his own, and did all of this because he knew it would be best for Rayna and the child. As we saw, and was said in the first season, Deacon wasn’t in a good place at the time to be raising a child. Yes, he is trying to be better again and that’s good, but nothing Teddy said in that scene was wrong. When Deacon is recounting his past with his father, I think a part of him was glad that Maddie wasn’t raised by him because as he said he never hit a child and wouldn’t now, but I think he still struggles with would he have done so if he raised Maddie. If you’ve ever seen a parent raise a child and then had to watch as the child connects with a biological parent, it is hard and makes the parent resentful and wonder why he couldn’t be enough. I think Teddy is behaving exactly as someone in position would behave. He wants it known that despite biology, he is Maddie’s father and has earned that position. But he also knows that Maddie will still interact with Deacon in some way so he needs Deacon to not let Maddie down. In time, he might be more okay with it, but it is still too soon for now.

Now, I hate the Peggy storyline too (and will be so happy when it is done), but I also think Peggy was only brought in to make Teddy out to be the bad guy so Rayna could have an easy out with him and an easy in with Deacon. I remember when the pilot aired people hated on Teddy. If you thought he was boring, fine. But at that point nothing Teddy showed to be a stand up guy (money issues notwithstanding, but Deacon had his addiction issue so I guess you could say they were on par for bad things in the past). If you want Deacon & Rayna together too, that’s also fine, but I just think the show could have done a better job and showed it as a struggle with Rayna sorting out her feelings from the past coming to her present, then taking the easy way out and making one person the bad guy i.e. Teddy.

• Jill says:

I understand what you’re saying, but there’s no reason to kick a guy when he’s down and trying to reach out and do the right thing, and that’s what Teddy is doing here. It would have been one thing if Deacon had known he was Maddie’s father the whole time and just chose to run off and abandon her leaving Teddy to step in and pick up the pieces, but Teddy (along with Rayna) actively deceived Deacon for 13 years of Deacon being sober, and totally in a place where he could have been a good part of Maddie’s life. When it comes down to it Teddy and Rayna stole Deacon’s child, which in no circumstance is ever ok unless he was some kind of psychopath.

• Remi K says:

I so agree with you Jill. Teddy is Far from perfect, yet, he comes across like a pompous, judgemental ass.

At any point, after Daphne was born, wonder if he had a moment or two of guilt? He now had his own bio daughter, yet, he was keeping that chance from a man who had now been sober for years.

At first he wanted no part of Peggy’s child, now he’s going to step up and be involved in the imaginary baby’s life, as a Father should. Yet, he made sure that another Father never had the chance to do the same.

It would have been different if Deacon had continued to drink and shown unstable behavior, at least then I could have understood their decision to continue keeping the secret, a bit more; right or wrong.

But Deacon was sober and productive.

I think a huge part of Teddy’s wanting to keep the secret, was his own insecurity. I can understand that, somewhat, but, it doesn’t make it any less wrong.

Deacon, completely aside, how was it OK, to raise your Daughter on a lie? This wasn’t a situation where her Bio Dad was totally out of the picture and her life; where he was a danger to her and they were protecting her. Maddie knew Deacon, liked him, considered him “Uncle Deacon”, a great guy. When this came to light, and it was almost certain to, did they not consider the possibility that it might destroy their Daughter’s trust in them?

24. Tony says:

Dear Nashville writers: Was Juliette sleeping with yet another guy the moment you wanted to close on? From the moment we saw our billionaire fiend wasn’t a fat chubby guy in his 50s, we knew that was going to happen. Not a shocker, not a cliffhanger. Leaving it on Jeff’s revelation that he knew something was up with Rayna would have been a bit better.

And yes to getting rid of Teddy and Peggy, and to making the show about the music business, not the soap opera.

25. Heather says:

I pretty much love all of the main characters of Nashville. The writers have done a great job of creating believable, complicated people. None are perfect, except maybe Scarlett, and even when they’re bad, they then do something redeemable (Juliette). I especially like Teddy. He is the most emotionally mature adult on that show. He was right to ask Rainna for a divorce, as she always treated him like he was the background to her life. He was also right in not allowing Deacon to have a pity party and escape his responsibility to Maddie. Deacon was being manipulative in his compliments to Teddy, when his past actions of disrespect have spoken louder than his weak words of appreciation. Teddy, being the better man as he is, spoke nothing but the truth. I know in these days of reality tv and adults trying to stay forever young (Madonna) very few people can recognize mature behavior. It isn’t always nice but it is honest, and it demonstrates itself in its actions and choices, not its excuses and distractions. Teddy constantly strives to do the right thing. Thank God for Teddy and Scarlett who balance out the emotional drama of the others.

• Janni Cole says:

Is this the same Teddy who maturely embezzled a million dollars? Who cheated on Rayna with Peggy, before he asked for a divorce? The same Teddy who demanded that if he was going to be Rayna’s Husband and Maddie’s father, that they Never tell Deacon that he had a child, even after he was sober, for more than a dozen years? The same Teddy who saw nothing wrong with raising his Daughter on a lie? Oh yeah, that’s a guy always striving to do the right thing! You betcha!!
      What I see, is a weak, insecure man. He married Rayna knowing she wasn’t really in love with him. He made the paternity demand, as much due to his own insecurity about Deacon, as due to any desire to protect Maddie.
      Deacon is certainly far from perfect, he’s an alcoholic and he’ll always battle that illness, but, at his core, I see a much better man than Teddy.
      Has Teddy been a good Father and does he love his Daughters. I think basically, yes to both questions. But, the enormity of the lie about Maddie’s paternity was bound to come out. Rather than lie to your daughter her whole life, a strong mature man, would have realized that they needed to reveal the truth and deal with it. Teddy and Rayna could certainly have made it clear to Deacon that he could be in Maddie’s life, but only if he was sober, and the onus for being a part of her life was entirely on him.
      Instead, they both perpetuated the lie, and, as yet, neither one are really accepting their part in the fall out.

26. passingby says:

A lie is a lie and Teddy was wrong to enter a marriage with Rayna based on this. He wanted Rayna for himself, he knew she was hurt by Deacon’s actions & that Deacon was in no place to deal with a child while still using. He took both of their weaknesses and used it to his advantage and from that time on he used it as leverage. You tell the truth, you always tell the truth. If Deacon stayed off the wagon forever & knew about his daughter than Teddy would still have raised her. The truth is that they took away Deacon’s right as a parent. One could assume that he wouldn’t change, but that wouldn’t be supported by his 10 plus years of staying sober, 10yrs he could have been a good dad to Maddie. The truth is that while Rayna had happy years with Teddy and her family she always loved Deacon & she still loves Deacon.

27. Jacque says:

Teddy’s smug, self righteous, judgemental attitude is beyond annoying, and a bit ridiculous, in light of his own behavior.
    He basically had the Mayor’s position handed to him (what qualifications does this guy have to be Mayor of anyplace, much less a major metro area)? And he was complicit in the hi jinks against Coleman.

Thank God for Teddy????OK!

28. Sandra Bohannon says:

I don’t hate Teddy and I’ll give him props for loving his Daughter’s, and, for the most part, having been a good Dad to them.
    I also imagine that he tried to be a good Husband to Rayna.
    But, I also see him as opportunistic and manipulative. Of course Rayna was a grown woman and no one forced her to marry Teddy. He wanted Rayna and he put himself in place to be her rescuing hero, the good, safe, stable choice. The anti-Deacon, in his mind.

I know the show wants us to see Teddy as having loved Rayna so much that it didn’t matter to him, that he was second choice, not the Baby Daddy. Alas, the utter lack of chemistry between Britton and Eric Close, especially against the smoking hot chemistry of Britton and Chip Esten, has always made this an impossible sell for me. I find it hard to see why they had a 2nd Date, much less marched down the aisle and stayed married for years.

A mature man knows that beginning a marriage as someone’s safe second choice, that knowing your wife may love you, but probably is In Love with another man, beginning your marriage on a huge lie, is unfair to everyone involved, certainly you included. A mature man knows he deserves better.
    A mature man would have said something like, “If Deacon can get himself together, if he can get and stay sober, he has a right to be in Maddie’s life. But, we have a right to let him know that it’s all up to him. We’re going to protect Maddie, so, if he wants to be part of her life, he has to show us that he wants it enough to be safe and sober.”

I see Teddy as having been more infatuated with Rayna and the life she represented, than deeply in love with her. He wanted the beautiful talented wife, the prestige of her family, the picture perfect life.

He’s not a bad man and there are times when I*’ve felt badly for him, when I’ve actually liked him, but, LOL, he doesn’t make it easy. And better Man? No.