Ratings: CBS' Monday Line-Up Down, Sleepy Hollow Dips, Dixie and Beast Return Steady

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings HostagesCBS’ Hostages is letting viewers get away.

Week 3 of the 15-episode thriller drew 5.2 million total viewers and a 1.2 demo rating, down 13 and 20 percent week-to-week.

Of note, Hawaii Five-0 vacated the Mondays-at-10 time slot in May with 9 mil and a 2.0. And Made in Jersey got hurried to the bench last fall after its second outing fell to 6.7 mil/0.8 (and on a Friday).

Opening the Eye’s night, How I Met Your Mother (7.4 mil/2.9), We Are Men (5.4 mil/1.8), 2 Broke Girls (7.2 mil and a series-low 2.2) and Mom (6.7 mil/2.0) each shed viewers and ticked down two tenths in the demo.

Pending adjustments due to NFL preemptions, Monday’s two season premieres — The CW’s Hart of Dixie (1.2 mil/0.4) and Beauty and the Beast (1.2 mil/0.4) — were both down just a tenth from their May finales and (faint praise alert!) improved on the year-ago openers for 90210 (1 mil/0.4) and Gossip Girl (780K/0.4).

RELATED | Castle Recap — Is Beckett Not Cutting It as a Fed?

Over on ABC, Dancing With the Stars ticked up to a 2.1 while steady with 13 million total viewers, and Castle (10.8 mil/2.0) dipped two tenths in the demo.

RELATED | Bones Recap: Pelant Returns With a New Mystery — Did the Baddie Meet His End?

Fox’s Bones (7.1 mil/2.0) slipped two tenths, while Sleepy Hollow (7.8 mil/2.7) dipped 10 percent.

RELATED | Sleepy Hollow Recap — Ichabod and Abbie Learn Evil’s Name!

NBC’s The Voice (14.3 mil/4.5) added a handful of viewers while dipping two tenths in the demo, The Blacklist (11.3 mil/3.2) ticked down a tenth.

Comments (73)

• I am proud of BONES it is pretty much level with same time as last season….and on a night were nearly everything is down and it still keeps in the 2 range with 7.1M views is a WIN in my book…plus it has fierce comp as well as playoff baseball and NFL in the mix….so GO BONES!

Comment by Jess – October 8, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Too bad. Last night’s episode was one of the best (I think it will adjust up in finals though)

Comment by eridapo – October 8, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Voice, Mom, HIMYM, Bones, Sleepy Hollow and Two Broke Girls were adjusted up a tenth,

DWTS, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, The Blacklist, and Castle were adjusted down a tenth

Comment by eridapo – October 8, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Bones, a horrific timeslot for a 9 yr old show and it keeps on plugging away. Last night was a terrific ep for the whole team, a proposal AGAIN and the end of Pelant. Yay us.

Comment by Ali – October 8, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry to see that about Hostages, I haven’t watched last night’s yet, but I really enjoyed the second episode and was starting to get sucked in…

Comment by DreamRose311 – October 8, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Hostages too. I think a lot of people listened to all the critics bad opinions about this show and decided not to watch. It’s to bad because it’s really well done IMO.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 8, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it just has too much competition. Between Castle with its uber loyal fanbase and the truly excellent Blacklist, I think it just got left behind. It is a shame because is getting interesting. I hope it doesn’t get cancelled but it looks like it will.

Comment by Daisy – October 8, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agree. I like Hostages a lot but I love The Blacklist so guess which I watched last night and which one I will catch up on later. I hope they move Hostages around a bit to find its perfect timeslot before they think of canceling.

Comment by Allison – October 8, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • and I watched ‘Castle’ instead of Hostages or Blacklist so far this season (guess I’m of those uber loyal Castle fans). Pity live streaming Hostages (and Blacklist) later won’t count among the ratings..

Comment by Rich Abey – October 8, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Neither will watching Castle live, unless you’re a Neilsen family.

Comment by TV Gord – October 8, 2013 02:16 PM PDT
          • Hostages works just fine On Demand…

Comment by Doug H – October 9, 2013 08:09 AM PDT
        • Agree about The Blacklist — it’s been great so far and last night’s episode was fantastic. So dark and twisty, and Spader is so much fun to watch. I’m just happy that a network drama I really like is actually getting great ratings! For me, that’s a rarity…

Comment by Jon – October 8, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am too it’s is an incredibly well written show, it makes me sad to see its numbers so low, i wonder if they are thinking about moving its time slot, i know its a limited series technically but it might do better in another time slot. I’m also curious to see its DVR numbers because that’s how i watch it and am sure a lot do the same because of Castle or whatever. still hoping it doesn’t get cancelled, it is hands down a better show than Blacklist in my opinion anyway.

Comment by James D – October 8, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree about Hostages. I think there is just too much competition. I think the 3rd episode was beginning to get really interesting. Well, networks, ratings, demo, money.. that’s what it’s all about. If they do cancel, I hope they will air all the episodes.

Comment by JBC – October 8, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is Sleepy Hollow losing so many viewers week-to-week?

Comment by KCC – October 8, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No idea cause its a pretty damn good show! Maybe some viewers aren’t just cut out to watch ‘horror’ themed shows week-after-week?

Comment by Rich Abey – October 8, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • maybe. That sandman episode was pretty damn creepy. But its not creepier than X Files ever was. Maybe it’ll do better in its Friday encore airing next to Grimm.

Comment by liz – October 8, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There is enough horror in the world who want to watch it unfold on TV.

I am not suprised that and hostages are tanking.

Comment by Rich – October 8, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah! This! Who wants to see complications and conflict in stories?!?! Not me! That’s for sure! Ugh.

Comment by Jo – October 8, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sleepy Hollow was the highest rated Fox program in the coveted 18-49 viewer range last week, just behind Grey’s Anatomy. It won it’s time slot last night. And scored better ratings than Castle, 2 Broke Girls, Bones, and Dancing With the Stars. It is far from tanking.

Comment by Alichat – October 8, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its still so good!! I’m hoping that they maintain the quality. LOOOOVE the show’s humor!

Comment by katrina – October 8, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved Ichabod telling the OnStar lady about his love life and making her cry. It was awesome.

Comment by Alice – October 8, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I loved that part too. That is one of the things i like about the show..it has humor too. I am glad to hear it will be back..

Comment by Vanessa Rainey Sellers – October 9, 2013 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The mythology is pretty heavy, so that may be a little off-putting for some, but I’m loving it. The On Star operator call last night was just brilliant…

Comment by A.Rae – October 8, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably because Football was on.

Comment by snowballx350 – October 8, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For me, it’s because I know I can watch it on Friday night. Too much competition on Monday.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – October 8, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasnt 2 Broke Girls doing almost a 4.0 last year? Or am i crazy?

Comment by ggny – October 8, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One year ago it did a 3.7.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 8, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ya think syndication will save it ? The show last night was stupid even by its standards

Comment by Joe – October 8, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes.Shows with three full seasons almost always get renewed for a fourth and 2BGs already has a syndicatin deal with TBS

Comment by Brandy – October 8, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the drop is insane.

Comment by ggny – October 8, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t care for 2 broke girls, but I would guess it had a stronger lead in show last year than it has this season?

Comment by DarkDefender – October 8, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS should get rid of Hostages. Move Hawaii 5-O back to Mondays. FOX should forget about moving BONES to Friday. It’s their steadiness established show. Keep it on Mondays, or move it to Tuesdays or Wednesdays (shrink X Factor performance night) or even Thursday, and move Glee back to Tuesdays. For a nine year old show, BONES is incredibly steady.

Comment by Stacey – October 8, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you, CBS should move Hostages to Friday since H50 was moved to cancel it when Hostages became a hit. CBS also needs to fix their Monday night comedy lineup quickly because when HIMYM finishes this season 2 Broke Girls will suffer.

Bones did well last night with all the competition and Dodgers game going on at that time; I am curious to see what DVR and online watching numbers will be.

Fox doesn’t like stability because Glee followed with one hour comedy shows did well on Tuesdays against NCIS/NCIS LA. Bones did really well on Thursdays 9PM which had over 11 million viewers and now that Bones finally found a home on Monday nights Fox wants to mess with the line up and see if 7 million of those viewers will follow to Friday night. It sad that Fox is not promoting Bones since this could be one of the longest running scripted drama series on Fox other than Beverly Hills 90210 (10 seasons). Note my favorite the X-files (9 seasons) and House (8 seasons). I think next year Fox will start messing with New Girls schedule.

Comment by LuLu – October 8, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS needs to do something — some form of triage. Mike and Molly won’t cut it. Maybe move 2 1/2 men back? Hostages is not their only problem here. It’s only a matter of time before they lose Mondays completely. They still have time.

Comment by Brian – October 8, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is a 2.0 solid enough now to guarantee shows will come back, or at the very least not shift time slots? Seems like regardless of what they’re pitted against, Castle and DWTS stay in the 1.9 – 2.3 range, which has got to be worth something.

Comment by Christina – October 8, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! Which is why many consider ‘Castle’ one of the most underrated shows on TV, and for no small reason as it is one of the few scripted shows along with The Big Bang Theory & NCIS that have managed to actually increase viewer ratings each year for more than 6 seasons continuous!

Comment by Rich Abey – October 8, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Viewers yes, but not in the all important demo where it has remained unchanged.

Comment by eridapo – October 8, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that the DC arc is finally catching up to the show (and I’m glad is over). There is no telling where ratings would be if CBS had a strong contender this year. Last night’s numbers include football in Atlanta, so Castle’s numbers will go down to a 1.9.

Comment by eridapo – October 8, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Considering that Castle didn’t even air in Atlanta last night and will not be shown until 2am on Wednesday, not sure how that will make the numbers go down.

Comment by Brigitte – October 8, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Brigitte – The preliminary rating numbers include everything that was shown on ABC during a certain time period. (In other words the numbers of people watching football are mixed in with the numbers of folks watching Castle.) The final ratings numbers are adjusted to strip out the football numbers. That is why it is likely that Castle’s numbers will go down.

Comment by Dav – October 8, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Let me preface this by saying that I know next to nothing about ratings figures. Dav, just out of curiosity, how will DVR recordings and OnDemand viewings factor in? Will that at all factor in (or help even out the drop in) the demo?

Comment by Kim – October 8, 2013 12:43 PM PDT
          • DVR done in the same night up till 2AM counts for the ratings above. DVR viewing later on is accounted on the L+3 or L+7 measure

Comment by eridapo – October 8, 2013 02:28 PM PDT
          • @kim – The number that advertisers *REALLY* care about is the C3 rating. C3 is a measure of the commercials watched both live and up to three days of DVR playback and is the metric under which much of primetime advertising is bought and sold. The catch, of course, is that your viewing only counts if you watch the commercials (hence the “C” in the name.) So On Demand/On Line/DVR viewing won’t count unless it has commercials and you can’t fast forward them. The 3 day number is important as well. Many commercials are time-relevant and advertisers want you to see them as soon as possible. So don’t wait until the weekend to watch that Monday night show.

Comment by Dav – October 8, 2013 02:34 PM PDT
          • Thanks for the info! And thanks for explaining it in simple terms. :) Much appreciated. I knew commercials were important for the demo, but I didn’t know how the DVR/OnDemand viewings played in with that. I’m not a Nielson household, so I’m not sure it matters, but OnDemand for my cable company won’t let me fast forward for any ABC show. As the episode is loading a message pops up saying fast forward is unavailable. Never understood why…until today. So thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

Comment by Kim – October 8, 2013 04:30 PM PDT
  • I never could stand Dylan McDermott. I see now that I’m not the only one.

Comment by Jax – October 8, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA and throw Dermott Mulroney on that same pile.

Comment by Parker – October 9, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I wonder if CBS is second guessing taking H50 off that time slot.

Comment by sarah – October 8, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, now that Twitter activity is being factored in, will you report on those stats in the future?

Comment by Maria – October 8, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Twitter activity is not being factored in to television ratings. There numbers are being tracked but they in no way correlate to actual viewership numbers of a TV show. (Deadline has a great article that talks about this.) The only thing Twitter numbers will help is Twitter. This is not about TV ratings, this is about Twitter working with advertisers and trying to make some money.

Comment by Dav – October 8, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones. :( It’s at 2.0, but I didn’t except it to fall, at least not that much. I really hope it gets adjusted up.

Comment by Sarah – October 8, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think people expected Pelant to get killed off quite so early in the season and were simply tired of that super villain dreck. I watched it with trepidation that turned to delight as he was shot. Now if he comes back I’ll likely check out until I read he’s gone, that return from the dead would be a deal breaker given how full my dvd already is….

Count me in as one of those who figured a protective vest would almost be a given…. and there was no shot of him split open on a Jefferson slab to seal the deal, so, a bit of waiting. Then there’s the mysterious new female serial killer that is even beyond Pelant’s capabilities?

Please MORE supervillainessness? Gack.

Comment by John 1138 – October 8, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not really worry about “Castle” I think is doing just fine, and last night episode wasn’t showed in Atlanta area, so of course is going to show less viewers. To me this show has proved that you don’t need sex, blood or shooting to be succesfull. And now that the DC.thing is over and a lot people were mad about that, the show should be doing fine

Comment by lupe – October 8, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Incorrect.. Those numbers are inflated due to Football airing in the ABC afiiliate in Atlanta. Expect those ratings to go down in the finals to a 1.9 or 1.8.

Comment by eridapo – October 8, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2 broke girls is too good to be canceled.

Comment by D. – October 8, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My opinion of course is they should have left “Beauty and the Beast” on Thursdays following “The Vampire Diaries” it worked there!

Comment by Rita – October 8, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are absolutely right. I debated between watching Sleepy Hollow and BatB live last night and of course while I like BatB well enough, I love Sleepy Hollow and just could not wait to watch.

Comment by Marc – October 8, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah maybe it would do better with TVD. Going against sleepy hollow was not the best idea.

Comment by Maize – October 9, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CW = flop! BaTb is bad and boring!

Comment by nola – October 8, 2013 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hart of Dixie and BATB are up against two of the biggest shows on TV. I’m just happy both shows returned steady.

Comment by Jared – October 8, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • exactly my thoughts! They’re on one of the most competitive nights on tv and I’m SO relieved they’ve held up their numbers from last year. I’d be devastated if they got cancelled too soon.

Comment by liz – October 8, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m just watching BatB. They got rid of Joe?! Why couldn’t they get rid of the annoying sister? She serves no purpose. Ugh.

Comment by tp – October 8, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She has to tell her sister about her Dad. After that I think she might be gone because she’s on another show.

Comment by Maize – October 9, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It took everything I had to keep watching Hart of Dixie, pretty boring. It’s weird too, all of sudden these two hot lovers are buddy ole pals, yea that happens all the time. Then the previews looks like Wade is going back to being old Wade, sad. Losing interest.

Comment by cindy – October 21, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If some shows are holding steady and others are dropping BUT none are rising where are all the viewers going and having left are they coming back?

Comment by Ducky – October 8, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cable shows are starting up again as well, as premieres of shows often get a lot of looky-loos the first week or two of the fall season, and then people don’t tune in again. It’s pretty standard, although some of the drops are pretty significant.

Comment by Lola – October 8, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a terrible person, I know, but it’s pretty amusing to see CBS dealing with the same issues the other networks have been dealing with for years.

Comment by Lola – October 8, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That “Sleepy Hollow dips” headline scared me for a second there LOL! Still good.

Comment by Jason – October 8, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS should not move Hawaii Five-0 back to Monday. I’m sick of all the bs with the Castle
    fans. HF-0 is doing well enough on Friday.

Comment by Linda – October 8, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really did try to watch Hostages but OMG I could not get past the first 10min. I just didn’t like it and I love Toni Collette and Dylan McDermott so I was very disappointed. I do not see this making it to the end. As for Sleepy Hollow WHAT down 10% how is that possible. Tell me that was a typo b/c that is one of my favorite new shows. It is phenomenal and Fox better give it a chance b/c I will be pissed if it gets canceled. I’m glad The Blacklist is still doing well that is another favorite new show. So far most of the new shows on this season are pretty good. Lastly please move Hawaii-50 back to Monday’s at 10pm. Obviously Hostages isn’t doing well in that time slot. Thanks have a great day

Comment by bostongreekgirl (@BostonGreekgirl) – October 8, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Put Hawaii Five 0 back!!

Comment by Megan – October 8, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS Monday nights now suck outside of farewell HIMYM and 2 Broke Girls! The remainder can enjoy cancellation!

Comment by DavidSask – October 8, 2013 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post