Sleepy Hollow Recap: Tea for Three

Sleepy Hollow Season 1 RecapWhen you’ve witnessed a headless entity wield a machine gun and you’ve battled a sleep demon in your scorpion-venom-tinged slumber, your bar for completely-and-utterly-messed-up might be set a bit higher than the average joe’s.

That’s gotta be the reason that Sleepy Hollow‘s Abbie and Ichabod barely pause when they encounter a fountain of evil, magical lava in this week’s episode, right?

Or maybe they’ve just spent their daily allowance of “What in the what-what?” on learning the horny demon’s name/agenda and finding out that Ichabod was an original member of the Tea Party. Regardless, let’s review what happened in “The Lesser Key of Solomon.”

RELATED | Sleepy Hollow Exclusive: True Blood Baddie to Butt Heads With Ichabod

JENNY, LOST AND FOUND | We pick right up where last week left off, with Abbie realizing that her institutionalized sister Jenny is on the lam. Abbie rushes back to the car, where Crane is waxing wistful about his long-lost wife, Katrina. They had “the kind of love that makes the mundane a marvel,” he muses – and I laugh out loud when it becomes clear he’s commiserating about love with the OnStar operator who helped him get into the car.

Back at the station, Crane begs Capt. Irving not to put out an APB for Jenny; he grants her a 12-hour lead before he begins a national search. (Side note: Irving has to have some kind of stake in this insane game, right? Otherwise, granting Mills’ wish is just foolish. And while this show is at times fluffy and often freewheeling, it is not foolish.) (Another side note: When was the last time Abbie and/or Ichabod slept? – and the Native American trance state doesn’t count.)

MISSED CONNECTIONS | In between bouts of working the phone, Abbie gives Crane an abbreviated story of her childhood: Her father left when she and Jenny were little girls, her mother had a nervous breakdown and had to be hospitalized soon after. “The state dumped us in foster care,” she says in clipped tones. After noting that Jenny has an extensive criminal record and a puzzling amount of international travel, Crane suggests visiting Jenny’s last foster family for any clues it might hold.

Abbie is severely unimpressed with Jenny’s final foster mom, particularly the way she has a new car in the driveway but her current kiddo is malnourished and sleeping on the floor. Abbie orders the woman to cough up what she knows about Jenny “or so help me, I will rain legal brimstone down on you so hard, it will make God jealous.” The whole time, the look on Ichabod’s face is saying, “Please Hammer, don’t hurt ‘em,” but Abbie’s threats work: The foster mom reveals that Jenny and Sheriff Corbin knew each other (!) and that she often escaped to a cabin nearby.

Crane and Mills break into the cabin (his “Imagine the delinquency we could perpetrate if we really put our minds to it” and her conspiratorial grin that follows are perfection). There, they find a gun-wielding Jenny; the pair realize that the home belonged to Corbin and that the late sheriff and Abbie’s sister were quite close. Once Ichabod rather awesomely gets the girls to drop the weapons they’re pointing at each other, the story shakes out: Corbin believed Jenny’s story about the demon in the woods, and he had her travel the world to “obtain rare objects.” One of these, a sextant (or tool for celestial navigation) turns out to contain the map to a very important piece of the Revelations-related puzzle: a legendary book of dark magic known as The Lesser Key of Solomon – and Ichabod has been in its presence before.

HARBORING SECRETS | Remember the Boston Tea Party? Turns out, Ichabod threw it – and the historical event was actually a distraction so that he (under George Washington’s orders) could retrieve a stone box containing a weapon that would help the British win the Revolutionary War. Though he managed to procure the box and send it to the general, Ichabod never saw what was inside.

Just then, some bad guys strafe the cabin with gunfire and steal the sextant, making it seem like Ichabod may be permanently in the dark as to the box’s contents. But one of the intruders is left behind as his cohorts take off, so Abbie & Co. tie him up and try to get him to talk.

Short version: He’s a Hessian – just like the Horseman – and he and his fellow acolytes of the horny demon have infiltrated all walks of life (“We’re your neighbors, friends”) in preparation for their leader’s coming. “We’re everywhere, growing stronger. Preparing for the inevitable,” he says. Guys, I figured it out: Demon, thy name is Joe Carroll! “Moloch shall rise,” he says in German, (eh, I was close) before somehow dislodging a cyanide capsule, swallowing it and dying.

GOIN’ TO THE CHAPEL | So the map is gone, and our gang is out of luck, right? Nope — Ichabod’s photographic memory FTW! He recreates the map, which sends the trio to the local Dutch Reform Church… where Moloch’s followers have used Tom Riddle’s diary Solomon’s book to invoke a fountain of lava that contains writhing, skeleton-like beasties. There’s a lot of shooting and fighting, then Abbie dumps the book in the roiling mess of evil, Jenny kills a guy and it all wraps rather neatly.

Back at the station, Abbie tries to right many of the wrongs she’s done her sister – starting by offering to be her conservator, which means she may be able to get Jenny sprung from the looney bin a few months earlier than planned. “I see who you really are, and I’m proud of you,” Abbie says. I’ve gotta say, the casting on this show so far has been spot-on; Nicole Beharie and Lyndie Greenwood are very believable as siblings with some tough feelings between them. And I’m more than a little entertained by what Jenny brings to bear on the Abbie-Ichabod relationship. (That car scene with the three of them was great.)

Crane wraps the episode with the news that Moloch is a demon referenced in Milton’s Paradise Lost – and the fact that they now know old hornball’s name is a big deal.

1. Alichat says:

My favorite part of this episode was Crane giving the verbal smackdown to the Mills sisters. Priceless. Also, the Capt’s name is Irving……of course he has some hand in the game! Oh…and I’d sell my left kidney to have Mison, dressed as Ichabod, just read my emails to me. Just had to add that.

• valeriel40 says:

Right. I’d listen to him read the phone book. All. Night. Long.
      Crane’s conversation with Yolanda from OnStar, his smackdown of the Mills sisters & his “talk” with the Hessian were high points of the ep for me. The last scene with the sisters was really well done. I’m SO glad this got picked up!

• Marc says:

Did you hear he pronounced Yolanda, “YohLandah”. That was too funny, obviously, Yolanda.s not a name that Crane’s all too familiar with. I’m happy that the writers are trying to show us that Crane is still not yet acclimated even if they don’t have a lot of time to focus on it, at least they make the effort.

****spoiler alert**** judging by the previews next week, it looks like Crane is getting tired of blowdrying his 250 year old clothes.

• TvPeong says:

I definitely think the captain (Orlando Jones) is in on it. He’s just so calm about everything that’s happening around him, and he is giving Abbie and Ichabod a wide berth to do whatever they want. But I can’t figure out yet if he’s good (like a watcher or a white witch) or bad (like the captain on Grimm). Either way, I can’t wait to see how it plays out.

2. Annie says:

I got a giggle out of Crane chatting it up with an I Star rep!! Loving this show!

3. sladewilson says:

Nicole Beharie delivered the line of the year (so far) – that whole legal brimstone line was pure gold. I love this show. And the chemistry between Abby, Ichabod and Jenny is awesome… I keep wondering when we gonna find out the whole story with Abby’s ex….

4. Drew says:

Abbie’s line about raining down legal brimstone that would make God jealous was classic.

This show is holding up really well. Ever since Supernatural came along, I’ve been convinced that the days of Buffy-style demons (men in masks) were over, but this show manages to make them cool because of how they’re filmed. And the CGI is pretty impressive as well. The show doesn’t take itself too seriously, which is key for a series like this (again I reference Buffy and Supernatural). The humor actually helps me buy into the reality of the show’s universe more than I could if they did it with a straight face.

• kajar says:

Of course, the Buffy references are inevitable, especially when you realize that Moloch, the horny demon also made an appearance on that show (thought they’re probably not related. Maybe distant cousins or something :) And of course that Moloch was more of a geek, being into (literally) computers and all ;)

• Drew says:

Yeah. They need to keep this guy away from scanners. :-)

Of course, we did get Jenny Calendar last time. That was cool.

5. Hodan says:

LMAO @ Crane and that OnStar lady. I did not see that coming.

6. Jenna says:

This show continues to entertain. The On Star convo was hilarious, as was the Tea Party reference. And Mison is just perfect. And the creepy lava things were…creepy. Love how we are finding out a little more each week about the connections between the characters. Still my favorite new show.

7. valeriel40 says:

Also, when the said, “Molloch,” I thought, “again?” I remember him from that Buffy ep when he was in the computer & trying to mack on Willow.

• Olivia says:

Moloch is an ancient god though, so they’re just using the same name. It’s not like it’s a Buffy creation.

8. This is my favorite new show and I love the cast & chemistry they all have. The OnStar bit was awesome! I gotta wonder though, when is Ichabod gonna settle in & get a place, some other clothes, etc? Not that he doesn’t rock his current ensemble, but ya know…jus” sayin’.. besides that would make a fun episode ;)

• Drew says:

He should keep the coat and boots though. They’re cool.

• Amanda says:

Agree. I like the clothes, but have to wonder if they might smell since he was burried in a grave for hundreds of years and hasn’t been seen visiting a laundrymat or dry cleaner. :) Man needs a trip to the store.

• Christy says:

No, they don’t smell. I think everybody was so distracted by Ichabod’s bare chest in episode 2, they forgot that he was cleaning his clothes in that scene. In the 17-1800s, most people didn’t have that many outfits. Everything was pretty much handmade so you took good care of what you had. Wearing the same clothes wouldn’t seem odd to Ichabod. Although next week’s sneak peek suggests that he’s starting to think about it. :)

• suzi says:

Good catch regarding Episode 2. I hope Ichabod keeps cleaning his clothes and keeps the look. For me they add to his character, and they are really not that out of place.

• I missed the sneak peeks because I watched it live and hubby changed back to a football game, but I’ll be able to catch them when I watch the recording. I’m looking forward to more scenes with Ichabod discovering new things or being perplexed by new concepts. I just hope they don’t cut his hair. Keep the hair, the coat, and the boots for sure. I do think it would be fun to see how he feels about the current clothing though.

• The scenes of Abbie, Jenny and Crane all shopping at the mall would be comedy gold.

• Oh definitely keep the the coat and boots! :)

9. MyReligionIsWhovian says:

Isn’t Moloch the computer demon from the first season of Buffy The Vampire Slayer? :-p

• Marc says:

That may have been a made up version of him, but Moloch is exactly who Crane said he is, an ancient god who is associated with child sacrifices. It kinda came together for me last night as to why this god/ demon would have presented himself to Abbie and Jenny.

10. LaLa says:

Great episode. Everyone else loved the line about brimstone and Good – I loved the line from Crane about the delinquencies they could get into. Reminded me of Axel Foley saying to Rosewood, You know, I wasn’t always a cop. I fractured an occasional law or two.

11. tvdiva says:

This is my favorite show so far this season. The chemistry between all the actors is incredible and the writing is perfect. I am so glad the show does not take itself too seriously. I bought my season pass as soon as it was posted. I find myself getting giddy over the behind the scenes little tidbits as well as re-watching the episodes. I am so glad they were given a season 2. I just wish it was more than 13 episodes each season.

• Drew says:

On one hand, more episodes would be great. On the other hand, the show would be out of place in the spring. It is definitely a fall show.

13 episodes should make each season pretty strong too.

12. Marc says:

I got this huge vibe from Crane as he watched Abbie picked the lock to the cabin last night, like he was seriously smitten or turned on by the fact that this seriously awesome woman could easily pick a lock, he looked like HE wanted to swoon just watching her. Gosh I love this show!!!

13. do it says:

I hope they make Jenny a regular. She’s a strong character with an interesting storyline.

14. logar says:

Another great episode. This show has great actors whom seem to work as a team and don’t try to out shine one another. I love the chemistry, the comraderie and everything else that comes with this very entertaining series.

15. Love this show. Well thought out with interesting characters. It could go so many places.

16. KCC says:

Why is the viewership for the show dropping every week? I think that the show is getting better.

• Olivia says:

There’s always a drop off for the first few weeks of a show, people are trying it out to see if they want to continue. Hopefully it will stabilise as 2.8 demo is a good one to try to stick to.

17. tp says:

I look forward to this every week. I like the sisters but I wish they had cast girls that look more like the older versions. It’s just a little something that bugs me. Otherwise…love it.

18. arianeb says:

I’m sure they have a story to tell this season, and there is still a “major” character we have not even seen much, but Jenny adds so much to the Abbie / Crane relationship they need to bring her back. Now that they have another season to work with, I’d like to see Lyndie Greenwood become a regular. Heck, they have even established a role for her as a Lara Croft style treasure hunter. That’s definitely an asset on a show like this.

19. Shannon says:

Love this show & am so glad you decided to recap it!

20. Jules says:

Loved the entire episode, so many funny and great moments, as everyone has already said. To me, being from the state of Hesse(n) in Germany, Ichabod’s interrogation of the Hessian was of course the best. Yeah, German language! :) And I have to say, though I didn’t really understand the Hessian in the Boston Tea Party-flashback, Ichabod’s pronunciation is really quite good for an English actor playing an English-American character!

21. veronica says:

i love this new show i think that Ichabod learning our new ways,and Abby learning so much is or should i say that i love learning more from the past history they make a great team,i look forward to Sleepy Hallow.Someone done an awsome job coming up w/this show keep up the good work.

22. janaya says:

I love the show. I thought it was going to be more of a serial killer dialogue. They haven’t shown the headless horseman but once. But overall I love the show. I’m excited every Monday.

23. Bob says:

Anyone else notice Crane’s stance during the shoot-out at the cabin? Classic pose, pistol in right hand, left hand in the small of his back, line of sight down, sideways down the right arm. Good attention to detail.

• Pauline says:

OMG, I thought I was the only one who spotted that. You are definetly right, that was a classic pose, good attention to detail, wonder if that was the writers idea or Mison`s? I love this show, love the character`s responses to each other. Glad to see it picked up for 2nd season, just wish there was more episodes.

• charlotte says:

I noticed that too! I thought that was very clever – the kinds of detail that really elevates a show. I’m so loving this show!

24. Mika02 says:

In love with Abbie, Ichabod and Jenny. I think they are a great team and I hope Abbie and Ichabod get together cuz they are both so hot.