Ratings: Betrayal Takes the Plunge, The Simpsons Again Tops All Non-Sports Fare

Ratings Betrayal ABCFans of ABC’s Betrayal aren’t proving to be very faithful.

The freshman drama this Sunday night made a date with barely 4 million total viewers, while mustering a 1.1 demo rating — dropping 13 and 27 percent from its series launch.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Recap: Orphan Block — Plus: Scoop on a Deadly Secret

Opening ABC’s night, Once Upon a Time (7.7 mil/2.5) ticked down 9 percent a tenth, while Revenge (6.7 mil/1.9) slipped 17 percent.

RELATED | Revenge Recap: Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner

Over on Fox, The Simpsons (6.3 mil/2.9) and American Dad (4.4 mil/2.1) were steady — with the former drawing the night’s best non-sports demo rating — while Bob’s Burgers (4.2 mil/1.9) dropped three tenths and Family Guy (5.2 mil/2.5) dipped one tenth.

RELATED | Fox Renews The Simpsons for Season 26

CBS’ fast nationals are very scrambled/moot due to the line-up’s late start plus additional NFL overrun, so… check back later?

1. Dave says:

Revenge is dead.

It will not make it to season four. I hope ABC gives the writers advanced notice so they can wrap everything up by May 2014.

• Nerdbot says:

Syndication might save Revenge and get us one more season. At least that’s what is said in other sites, like TV by the Numbers… and they weren’t wrong when they predicted that Nikita would be renewed. Let’s hope they’re right this time too.

• dude says:

It’s billed as a “sure thing” on TV By the Numbers. They will renew it for at least one more season to get it to an attractive syndication episode count just like The CW did with Nikita.

• Jess says:

I truly think Revenge’s biggest problem is that it’s opposite The Good Wife (and yes I know it started late last night). I think there are a good number of people who watch both shows and have to choose between watching one live and DVRing the other. Plus peopel might nto realize that it’s not as as bad as last season was.

• Dani says:

It’s not as bad as last season!? Did I miss something? Yeah, it’s not as confusing as last season but otherwise… The show has lost so much of it’s original charm. Two episodes in I feel bored and I’m rolling my eyes at characters I used to like. Everything seems so predictable, yet some things so stupid and unnecessary.

• alistaircrane says:

Glad I’m not the only one who feels this way.

• Jay7 says:

Yeah I totally agree. Everything feels off this season. Its almost like its completely different show. The characters are doing things that they would’ve never done before. Its like Sunil is trying to make an entirely new show, with only keeping the character’s names and their actors. Just everything about it is just off and strange. Its not necessarily bad, but its just not Revenge anymore.

• Jo says:

“Dave” is that fool Dante/Max who has been spamming tvbythenumbers for years. Ignore him.

2. Jayme says:

Dave

Way to early to say but i think if Reevenge is not back Once is done as well.

3. Alanna says:

I’m really enjoying ‘Betrayal’ & I’m praying it doesn’t get cancelled. But, of course, since I like it, it will.

• tp says:

I agree. It will prolly get cancelled. I am only minutes into the second epi. Her husband makes me sick. He really didn’t have 15 minutes for a quickie?

• Alanna says:

I agree! I find myself rooting for Jack and Sarah. ;)

• DreamRose311 says:

This is actually kind of my problem with the show. Pretty boring and easy to make the significant others of the leads unlikable… Would be more dramatic to have them be sympathizable characters.

• tp says:

His wife is pretty likeable to me. She hasn’t given me a reason to dislike her ….yet. LOL.

• Julie says:

I agree…nothing wrong with the wife, except for who her father is. Sarah’s Husband is a jack A$$ though,
          I like this show…a little predictable but entertaining nonetheless. I hope it picks up but I guess it’s not looking likely. Lots of good tv on Sunday night for Revenge and Betrayal to compete against. I watch those live and DVR Homeland but I’m not Nielsen so I don’t count anyway.

• Shannon says:

Its really too bad that its doing poorly, because I like the show.

• Choco says:

Give up on it already and don’t get too attached. It’s been dead since before it premiered.

• Tinemi says:

I feel the same… and the 3rd episode seems to be better. I also find myself rooting for Jack and Sarah, they have an amazing chemistry and I couldn’t fight the feeling of wanting them to kiss in this ep. I’m guessing we’ll get half a season… or maybe a full season and nothing more…

• LuAnne Steinker says:

About Revenge: My thoughts exactly…every time I like a show, it gets cancelled. The acting is good, and the look into the Hampton’s is fun.

• Jodi says:

Love Betrayal…One of my favorite shows of al times..

• Sunny says:

Abc please don’t cancel betrayal

4. Martina says:

The number of episodes needed for syndication may give it a better than average chance of renewal.

5. Sam says:

Hard to predict Revenge’s fate based on the overnites alone, they had a huge boost last week with the Live+3 numbers and it’s hard to ignore that Revenge is an international ratings juggernaut which could keep it around for years on that fact alone. Plus syndication money is only one season away.

6. EJ says:

I agree that Betrayal will probably get yanked by the end of the year. Hey, ABC, how about finally putting Nashvile in that time slot?

And yeah, I think this is Revenge’s final season. So I hope Emily ends up dead for real.

• Sparky says:

I’d say if Betrayal sees it to episode 4 it will be lucky….the premise of the show isn’t bad but whether it’s the script or the wrong actors in the roles it just doesn’t work.

7. Chris says:

Revenge is getting really stupid. They are turning everyone against Emily so they just have a lot of suspects for whenever she gets shot. Like really Charlotte turned into a bitch overnight and Aidan is really over reacting to a break up and jack is just a dick now. The new show runners are already ruining it for me and it’s episode 2

• Nella says:

true.. i don’t bye the whole idea that Aiden would all of a sudden spill Emily’s secrets and to Victoria of all people??? pssssh…. They’re clearly running out of a storyline.. even the whole revengenda seems boring now… i kinda feel like its just time to let it go if they can’t bring it back to its former glory

8. Lana says:

Betrayal is gonna get canceled. I was thinking abut checking it out. Glad I didn’t!

9. Steven says:

The sports delay was 14 minutes, not 44. CBS shows were scheduled 7:30, 8:30, 9:30, 10:30 to begin with.

10. wrstlgirl says:

I found myself struggling with both Once and Revenge last night. I’m losing interest and feel like I’m watching only out of habit. What used to be a great Sunday night lineup for ABC has really done down hill.

• Patrick says:

This. I used to record both shows to watch after the Fox toons during season 1. I couldn’t wait to see them. I DVRd them so I could watch them quickly by fast forwarding through commercials. When the Mentalist was moved to Sundays last year, it was problematic, but I could still watch both OUAT and Rev right after. I put off Rev due to the problems in S1.5. But I watched OUAT immediately.

But, by mid season, I had no desire to do so. The charm from S1 was gone, especially for OUAT. The shows stacked up on my DVR until I just deleted them.

They screwed up the flow of the show. S1 should not have ended with a town reveal of the knowledge. It should have ended with Emma realizing the truth, but no one else. There would have been some good eps with her dealing with her family and their travails. They could have even had her interfering with her estranged parents as they went through other doomed relationships. The midseason cliff hanger could have been either her realizing that the Queen knows the truth, or the Queen realizing Emma knows the truth. The rest of the season would have been about Emma convincing Snow of the truth. From S3 on, I have no idea what would have happened, but, then, neither did the show runners.

This show, like Lost, Revenge, and Revolution, are the reasons why Nets ask where the show is going, and why promising pilots like Locke and Key don’t go to series. If serialized shows don’t have a plan, it falls apart quickly.

11. Dani says:

ABC is in trouble. It’s Sunday line-up isn’t working at all and BETRAYAL will most likely be the 2nd cancellation of the season. REVENGE seems to have lost it’s appeal and the ratings show. Season 3 most likely won’t be saving the show, it’s going to make sure the show dies (if ABC orders a fourth season because of Syndication) a slow and painful death.
    THE SIMPSONS were steady but it also had to be one of the lowest-rated Halloween specials in 24 years.
    Hopefully THE GOOD WIFE did well and fans were impressed by last weeks season premiere which was awesome. And last nights episode added to that. I’m so excited for the fifth season and I’m now going to watch TGW live and dvr REVENGE if I’m deciding not to give up on it.

• Patrick says:

I am a Mentalist fan. I never got into Good Wife, but we are in the same boat. Enjoy this season, because it is almost certainly the Last. Both shows are trying major plot/cast shakeups in order to try and reanimate what are, essentially, corpses. If any of CBS’s midseason shows pop, then one or both of the Sunday dramas are gone. They are too expensive, relative to the returns.

12. GuessWhat says:

um, wasnt a 44-minute NFL overrun — Amazing Race was ORIGINALLY planned to air at 8:30. so only a 14-minute overrun, sports fan!

13. nico says:

Once only dropped 4%, NOT 9%!

14. Eric7740 says:

IMO, Once Upon a Time is getting back to its Season 1 mojo, its concentrating on the characters that made it popular in the first place. Hopefully former “Oncers” will come back to this great family show.

• Anna says:

Absolutely, last night was a great episode and it definitely had a season 1 feel to it. If it continues, I think more viewers will come back if it but as long as the ratings remain fairly stable, it will be fine.

15. Marie says:

Last week I enjoyed once… But last night not so much. I realized the flash backs are annoying me. I think they need less of those. I’m much more interested in the present day for the characters. I don’t mind the odd one every few episodes but having at least half an episode or more of flashbacks in every episode is getting annoying.

16. Fernando says:

I feel very bad for Revenge it’s fans demand to much of it but at the same time revenge will not get cancel. Abc will end up canceling all of their new dramas this season because they all will be low rated. They all look terrible and no ones even talking about them. Even Shield has a chance of being cancel if it doesn’t go up. I feel like shield will be like terra nova if it doesn’t reach numbers as high as 10 million or above it could go because it takes so much money to produce it. Revenge will be Renee at least for a fourth and finale season.

17. Name That Tune says:

The truth is that Sundays are the most competitive night of the week. I am using 3 TV tuners on 3 different computers to record all the shows I want to watch and I will need 4 in November to catch Sunday night football on NBC! (Go Broncos).

ABC needs to move Once to a different night. Like Tuesday or Friday. Or Wednesday. But Sundays are hell.

18. Fernando says:

I’m starting to think that reality needs to just takes ABC Sundays slots. Maybe DWTS and Bachelor can do better here and maybe have a new reality for 9/10 pm. Revenge and Once can be found new time slots on Mondays or just have to moe things around but Sundays just don’t work for ABC anymore as scripted shows

• Boiler says:

I totally agree although I think football in the fall kills them too. I’d love to see DWTS and Bachelor to Sunday. It would free up my Sunday nights:) Look forward to seeing DVR numbers as an indication of how many people perhaps watch football and then these on DVR

19. Choco says:

It would be really cool if Revenge moved to another day. Maybe Tuesdays at 10 now that there’s nothing there. If it got the same ratings there, it would win the time slot because Person of Interest is dropping.

I love the show but I think that it’s not as good as it used to be. Even with the “reboot” they’re trying to do, it’s just too messy.

• N tTVf says:

Yep, I’m starting to think the same thing. Maybe Revenge has reached a point of no return, but a move into that post-Lucky 7 10pm Tues. slot might be a good idea. ABC needs to try something else in the 9pm and 10pm slots on Sunday. What that may be, I don’t know.
      I read somewhere a while back (?) that ‘Resurrection’ was slated for the Sunday 10pm slot this winter; perhaps then place ‘Killer Women’ at 9pm/Sunday? ABC needs to shake things up a bit on Sunday nights, and go ‘big and bold’ in the 9pm slot, and perhaps reload Tuesday nights following SHIELD to help make ABC more ‘appointment TV’ that night.
      A prior post noted up-thread: SHIELD ratings dropped last Tuesday for episode 2 – if that trend continues, that’s more trouble for ABC. They need to stop the bleeding quickly, move Revenge to 10pm/Tues (and perhaps Wonderland to 9pm Tues?) following SHIELD, and try something new/different on Sunday nights. Otherwise, ABC will have two nights of trouble to reprogram before winter/spring comes.

20. Eric7740 says:

I guess I’m just confused, ABC use to be a powerhouse on Sunday nights, back when Extreme Makeover, Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters were a great Sunday block for ABC. Of course, viewership faded overtime, as it does when all shows are on the air for a long period of time, OUAT started strong and I think the 2nd season confused some people, but if you go back and watch the season as a whole, it completely makes sense. Here’s hoping ABC can find its Sunday night mojo again!

• Name That Tune says:

So Once is up against The Simpsons and Sunday night Football. Revenge is up against The Good Wife, Family Guy, and Sunday Night Football. Yesterday, the Cowboys vs the Broncos ran over by 15 minutes which was the highest rated program since the Oscars. In some parts of the country, that put it up against OUAT. Last night’s episode would be hard to pick up 15 minutes into it and you ain’t gonna leave that game until it’s over.

OUAT always does better after football season is over.

• I’ve been saying it for a while, but Sally Field cursed the time slot when Brothers & Sisters was canceled.
      Nothing since then has been able to break the Curse Of Sally Field!

21. Babybop says:

Any clue how Drop Dead Diva did?

22. Ram510 says:

Why can’t ABC find a show with just a normal title to put on Sundays at 10? GCB, 666, Betrayal? All of those titles are a turn off. Too bad 2 if the 3 were actually decent shows (GCB & 666). Back to the drawing board for ABC

23. mandibelle16 says:

Love Betrayal. Good love story and interesting plot. Interesting things are going to happen and the eye candy is good :)

24. kb23 says:

I want to like Betrayal. I’ve watched both eps – more than once – to try and feel any kind of chemistry between the two leads – but I don’t. I did like how Jack found out who Sara’s husband was – that was good and the conflict between the two men could be great. I saw in the credits that this show is based on a Danish show. Wonder if that was any good and if it is available on Netflix?

25. I’m just hoping that ABC doesn’t axe Trophy Wife. PLEASE

26. Raquel says:

I Liked BETRAYAL a lot! it´s entretaining, I hope it doesn´t get cancelled, maybe ABC should change his schedule, and move it to a weeknight….

27. Amber says:

I really like Betrayal!!! I like the leads and i like the story line so far. But i agree with a previous post, maybe abc should try a different night. Sunday night is too busy and at 10p people are in the bed or preparing for the work week.

28. cathy smith says:

I’m really liking the show betrayal I think the two leads are great I love the chemisty with jack and sara. I really hope the show dont get cancelled I. Really loving it

29. nan says:

Love Betrayal, I cannot understand why people watch junk comedies, but a good show like Betrayal gets low ratings, another good show is Hostages. Take two and a half men off the air that is junk and put some good shows like Betrayal and Hostages on – maybe try a different day because these are excellent shows.

• ks says:

Love love love Betrayal. PLEASE pray it doesn’t get cancelled. I love the two main characters and compels me to watch every week!

• Cecile says:

I agree, love Betrayal and I think by the fourth episode last night that it has really come along nicely. I’m hooked! Love all the actors and the twisted plot is great. Who shoots Sara? Cant wait to find out the circumstances. It’s way better than Revenge, which has gotten boring and unrealistic. Please don’t cancel.

30. barbara says:

I love betrayal I hope it comes back on..

31. bev says:

PLEASE bring Betrayal back!!!! Our entire extended families really enjoyed betrayal.