Fall TV Preview

15 Fresh Faces of Fall TV: Where You've Seen 'Em — and Which Roles Are Worth Repeat Viewing?

The fall TV season is in full swing, which means that you, the networks and your frenemies at Nielsen are hard at work sorting out the winners (hi there, Season 2 of Sleepy Hollow!) from the losers (adieu, Lucky 7!).

While you work overtime managing your DVR’s series-recording list, though, there’s no doubt that certain performers from new series have prompted questions like: “Hey, where do I know that chick from?” And, “Oh, man, that dude was great on [insert 'Title of Favorite Old Show That Only Lasted Two Episodes' here]!”

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Pics and Scoops on 45 Returning Favorites

In honor of those fresh and/or verrry familiar faces who make up a big part of TV’s current freshman crop, we’ve put together a handy gallery to help you seek out some of their early hits, along with at least one credit worth tracking down on iTunes or Netflix. So press play below for a closer look at 15 actors who’ve got us buzzing, then hit the comments and riddle us this: What other previous performances by these stars are worth checking out? And which other performers are breaking out for you this TV season?

RELATED | Did Lifetime’s Witches of East End Enchant You? Take Our Poll!

Comments (52)

• Tom Mison was also brilliant and adorable as Charles Bingley in the hilarious ITV miniseries “Lost in Austen”.

Comment by heavenlygeekdom – October 7, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree Mison was fantastic.

Comment by Holly – October 7, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hated Potty Perowne almost as much as I love Ichabod Crane: terrific actor on both.

Comment by Guest – October 7, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was going to say the same thing. Lost in Austen is definitely worth another watch.

Comment by Autumn – October 7, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you mean season 35 for Michaela Watkins? Because I wasn’t watching it 14 years ago and I remember her and I’ve only been watching again for fivish years

Comment by Tom Charles – October 7, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good catch, sir!

Comment by Michael Slezak – October 7, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Michaela Watkins was in Season “34″ of SNL but she was let go after the end of the season. It could’ve done the same thing with Janeane Garofalo.

Comment by Tran 2.0 – October 7, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only recognize two of them, and one just barely. I remember Robbie Amell from his one appearance on How I Met Your Mother. Unfortunately Wonderfalls was too long ago (and dropped by Fox way too soon) that I really didn’t recognize Katie Finneran at first.

Comment by Mary – October 7, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fist time seeingTom Mison and what a brillant and captivating actor he is He is without doubt the main reason Sleep Hollow is such a success

Comment by Cheryl – October 7, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charles is great as Marcel, didn’t recognize him as Liam from SAB.

Comment by Brandy – October 7, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Maggie Lawson? Griffin Gluck? No Back In The Game anywhere!

Comment by Grace – October 7, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and Chloe Bennet is 21 years old? and a former Chinese pop star? is this real life?

Comment by cjeffery7 – October 7, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Mison for sure. A great actor and one I really hope will have a big film career. He’s incredibly versatile and charismatic. He’s adorable as Bingley in Lost in Austen.

Comment by Holly – October 7, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with everything you said about James Wolk, but how could you leave out his run on Mad Men last season? He was phenomenal.

Comment by Brian – October 7, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Mison would be at the top of my list. Any actor who can hold his own in scenes with Benedict Cumberbatch is a superb actor.

Comment by Olly – October 7, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Clark isn’t in the closet on Awkward is he? I really don’t think he is.

Comment by Steven – October 7, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was at first, I mean everyone knew it but it wasn’t a sure definite until Sadie outed him.

Comment by alison – October 7, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hope they hire him back, he was the best character and his show is DOA already.

Comment by Cynthia – October 8, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stephen Ammell also played Fred on two Scooby Doo live action movies on Cartoon Network (the first one was great, the second went completely off the rails).

That’s why his nickname of Scooby on HIMYM worked on a bunch of different levels.

Comment by Patrick – October 7, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I meant Robbie Amell, who is Stephen’s cousin. Sorry. Brain fart.

Comment by Patrick – October 7, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katie Finneran played Sharon, not Shannon. All of the family members names rhymed except Jaye’s (Sharon, Aaron, Darren, Karen…).

Comment by Kate – October 7, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Liz Lapira was great as the neighbor in Don’t Trust the B in Apartment 23, which was misused by ABC.

Comment by Kathy – October 7, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was also in “Dollhouse”, as Ivy. That’s how I recognized her.

Comment by Kim – October 8, 2013 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also remember her on “Traffic Light” which Fox definitely got rid of way too soon.

Comment by Andrew – October 8, 2013 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • James Wolk in Mad Men is where it’s at.

Comment by Teag – October 7, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nicole Beharie was also in Shame with Michael Fassbender and Carey Mulligan

Comment by Emily – October 7, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nicole Beharie was also just in the movie 42. She was excellent as J.Robinson’s wife. I loved Studio 60. Didn’t even realize that was the guy that played Tom Jeter. Katie Finneran is the main reason I don’t think I can stick with The Michael J Fox show.

Comment by tp – October 7, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! I was surprised this wasn’t mentioned, it’s definitely where I knew her from.

Comment by Jo – October 7, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t recognize her from the Good Wife until this article pointed that out: she’s also terrific in Sleppy Hollow.

Comment by Guest – October 7, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Mison was the military boyfriend in Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. Yes, I know it was a movie and it was based on actual events but it was a really good, fun sort of romantic comedy, and if it wasn’t for Ewan Macgregor I think Emily Blunt would have stayed with Tom’s character. There were no real bad guys in this movie which made it all the better.
    As for the others on this list, every single one of them who look vaguely familiar to me do not look familiar for the shows listed. Thankfully, imdb is so accessible.

Comment by jenferner8 – October 7, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s where I know him from! He was very charismatic in that film. Holding your own in front of Emily Blunt isn’t easy.

Comment by neha – October 7, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I adored Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. Delightful little film!

Comment by liz – October 7, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No love for Hannah Ware?

Comment by Cherry – October 7, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Teddy Sears was also Jennifer Love Hewitt’s husband, Rex Horton, in the TV movie version of The Client List.

Comment by Maggie – October 7, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How did I NOT recognize Chloe Bennet from Nashville. I literally just finished marathoning season one like two days before SHIELD premiered. Doh.

Comment by liz – October 7, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel Boston, Michaela Watkins and Liza Lapira all also had single episodes of Grey’s Anatomy.

Comment by Lyria – October 7, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg I loved Wonderfalls! It was brilliant.

Comment by Sheryl – October 7, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seconded, brilliant show from top to bottom(and one of the all-time BEST theme songs); Katie Finneran was genius on that show. Also have to say that, while only the pilot has aired, Rachel Boston gave a perfect performance on Witches of East End. And I can’t not give love to hotties James Wolk and Teddy Sears, who improve any show they’re on. But I gotta say, I thought Charles Michael Davis was the weak link during the Originals backdoor pilot and my opinion didn’t change during the season premiere(would’ve much rather seen Daniel Gillies on this list–he OWNED that premiere and practically carried the entire episode on his back). And I’m definitely not feeling Michaela Watkins on Trophy Wife(and I hated her character on Old Christine); only thing I ever liked her in was the Back-Up Plan with J.Lo.

Comment by ChrisGa – October 7, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone else think Teddy Sears looks a lot like Fitz from Scandal, or am I just crazy?

Comment by NR – October 7, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • James Wolk was in a few episodes of Shameless and Mad Men too.

Comment by JON – October 7, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • James Wolk was in Shameless too? Huh. I don’t remember him in that. I’m going to have to see if I can find his scenes on youtube. I sure liked him on Mad Men.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 8, 2013 01:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah,Rachel Boston on American Dreams….loved that show!

Comment by Shaun – October 7, 2013 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems mad not mention to James Wolk’s most prominent role to date – as Bob on Mad Men??

Comment by Miranda – October 8, 2013 01:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I recognize Nate Corrdry from Harry’s Law more than anything else

Comment by Lo – October 8, 2013 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wasn’t Nate Corddry also on Harry’s Law?

Comment by Ethel – October 8, 2013 04:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nicole Beharie starred in a movie called ‘American Violet” back in 2008 and her performance received great reviews, which got her where she is today.

Comment by logar – October 8, 2013 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katie Finneran’s Wonderfalls character was Sharon, not Shannon. The whole family (except for outcast Jaye) rhymed: Darren, Karen, Sharon, and Aaron. Man, do I miss that show.

Comment by Joe – October 8, 2013 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing you’re just mentioning tv credits, but I remembered him as the dark, tall and handsome military boyfriend of Emily Blunt in Salmon Fishing in Yemen.

Comment by Tinemi – October 8, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • By him I mean Tom Mison… sorry!

Comment by Tinemi – October 8, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katie Finneran was also on another short-lived show, a crime drama called The Inside. I believe it was on Fox during a summer season but got pulled fairly quickly. Probably no one else remembers this show, but I really liked it.

Comment by Leah – October 8, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robbie Amell was also the First Daughter’s baby-daddy on last year’s “1600 Penn”

Comment by ncmacasl – October 8, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unpopular opinion but I find Skarsgard extremely overrated (dad’s much better), and I always liked Sears since he was Salma Hayek fake boyfriend/stripper on Ugly Betty.

Comment by Cynthia – October 8, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post