Once Upon a Time Recap: Orphan Block -- Plus: Get Scoop on [Spoiler]'s Deadly Secret

Once Upon a Time Season 3 RecapThis week on ABC’s Once Upon a Time, Peter Pan gave Emma a map to locate Henry — provided she can find the “key” to unlock it. Meanwhile in Fairytale Land, Snow White’s awakening roused the Evil Queen’s anger.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time EPs Talk Casting Pan, Emma’s Focus, Wrinkle for Neal and More

IN THE FAIRYTALE LAND THAT WAS…. | After the umpteenth revisiting of Charming/Snow/casket/kiss/whoosh!, we get to see Regina receiving word (from a taunting/slightly giddy Magic Mirror) that her foe foiled her yet again. Regina offers the Charmings a deal: cede your claim to the kingdom and I’ll let you live quietly on a farm. When Snow balks, Regina says she’ll kill one loyal subject each day she delays.

After getting grilled by the Dwarfs on his agenda (“That chiseled chin ain’t foolin’ us”), Charming asks Rumplestiltskin for help in convincing Snow to fight. Later, Charming shows Snow a sword in a stone — Excalibur, he claims — and invites her to remove it, which she does. When Regina returns to nag them, Snow’s new sense of destiny prompts her to strike Regina, drawing blood: “This is my kingdom and I will fight you for it!” And so she shall — when they meet on the battlefield, Regina hisses. When Snow finds Rumple to absolve any debt, he laughs that her “Excalibur” is a fake, that Charming duped her into being emboldened. But hey, Grumpy et al make nice with the Prince, so….

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Spoilers — When Will Neal Reunite With Emma?

IN NEVERLAND…. | Rumple detaches his shadow and charges it with hiding his dagger — even from himself. Later, Rumple catches a thief only to realize it is Belle — or at least a vision of her that his psyche summoned from Storybrooke. Rumple shares his fear that he’s a coward like his father, and is tempted to give up Henry to Pan, thus avoiding his “undoing.” Belle advises him against making the same mistake he made with Bae. (Also: some nonsense with the corn husk doll.)

Meanwhile, the rest of the gang traverse the jungle, at first led by Hook, who knows this terrain — or at least used to. When they make camp for the night, Emma is woken by Peter Pan, who hands her a map that she’ll be able to read when she stops denying who she is. After Emma recounts Season 1 to the parchment with no effect, Regina charms the map to lead them to Pan — or, as it turns out, into a trap. After a scuffle with the Lost Boys, Pan tells Emma she’s still denying who she is.

Snow asks Emma why she froze mid-melee. Emma says it’s because she saw in the Lost Boy’s eyes what used to be in her own as a foster kid: despair. She recalls how she used to cry herself to sleep, wishing her parents would come back for her. “On this island, I don’t feel like a hero, a savior…. I feel like an orphan.” And with that word, the map ink appears, handily labeled with sites such as “Pan’s Secret Hideout” and “Pirates Cove” (which can only mean one thing: mini-golf storyline!). JOSH DALLASAs the hour closes, Pan warns Emma that by the time she finds Henry, he won’t want to leave. He also taunts, “You won’t just feel like an orphan, you’ll be one” — as Charming, in private, reveals to us that in battle he suffered a wound from a sword tainted with Dreamshade, fating him for a slow, painful death.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Creators Preview Neverland Conflict, Charming Bonding, ‘Heat’ for Regina and More

ON THE ONCE UPON A TIME SET…. | “Dreamshade is a nasty, nasty, nasty deal,” Josh Dallas shared with reporters this week. “And [Charming]‘s going to have a major secret on his hands.” As for the symptoms the prince might display as the poison gradually takes effect, “I think it does change his personality, because it changes how he thinks,” Dallas said. “He’s living a kind of duality in front of some people.” As the hero of the group, yet electing not to share his compromised condition with everyone, “It’s going to test him, and that’s what Neverland does. Neverland tests all these characters.”

Notable Quotes:
* “Mary Margaret’s a bit formal. You could call me Mom.”
* “If wax moustaches and perms are your thing.”
* “You’re really going to marry that?”
* “I’m winning you over, I can feel it.”
* “Say what?” “The S-word.”
* “You remember what I did to Rufio…?”
* “Just who are you, Swan?” “Wouldn’t you like to know.” “Perhaps I would.”

Want more scoop on Once, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line. (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. MP says:

Loved the ep tonight! Looking forward to next week!
    P.S That conversation between Emma and Snow… wowsa!!

2. Mike R. says:

I enjoyed this one much more than last week( and I thought the premiere was also solid), and it might be my favorite OUAT episode since the first half of season 2. If they stay this good, season 3 is going to be great.

3. courts says:

Confused about how Snow and Charming were taking over George’s kingdom but also Regina’s kingdom because they couldn’t leave Snow’s people yet when she banished Regina, she banished her…back to the kingdom?
    Loved Emma’s ‘orphan’ speech, though it seems like it has happened a season too late because this would have been way more apt in early Season 2.

4. Lysh says:

I think I cried or lost my breath four times this episode. And to end it with more rum (“perhaps I would”) and Charming’s secret…I’m lightheaded. What a great episode! This season is certainly starting off right.

5. Joey says:

I said it earlier tonight and I’ll say again that all of this Captain Hook is all of a sudden a decent guy reeks of fan pandering in a really bad way to me.

• jerrired says:

Agree! They’re also pushing him flirting with Emma a little too much. We get it, a lot of fans really want them to be together. But it doesn’t feel that natural. If it was more organic (though I don’t like the idea of Emma and Hook at all!) I could possibly warm to it more.

Otherwise, really good episode. I’m hoping the season stays this good. It’s quickly becoming my favorite one.

• Joey says:

Exactly. I don’t really care what characters have done/are doing/maybe will do to each other. If it’s got really good, organic chemistry, I’m all in for it. I don’t see that at all with Emma and Hook, so I can’t in any good conscience get behind it.

• courts says:

Especially considering she always seems SO disinterested. She doesn’t maintain eye contact, she walks away, she blows him off.

• abz says:

I’d say that’s because she’s concerned and worried about Henry and still sad from thinking that she lost Neal and the A-HA moment she had this episode in realizing that she still sees herself as an orphan. Her disinterest is probably because romance is most likely the last thing on her mind.

• Joey says:

It’s also notable to mention that she’s done the exact same thing ever since she first met him.

• Rissa says:

I feel like Emma and Hook feel a lot less forced than Emma and Neal. That was almost to point it was uncomfortable to watch.

• Jen says:

Sorry but nothing is more forced than Emma/Hook and Hook being a “nice” guy. At least Emma/Neal have an original complicated story and not something right out of a fanfic.

• Lysh says:

I feel like if Rumple were around, he wouldn’t be quite as decent. At the end of the last season, he offered his services and he knows he has the upper hand having spent so much time in Neverland. Regina has been just as decent so far this season, besides using magic with the map because she didn’t know better and bickering with Snow because her enemy is actually in her presence. Hook doesn’t even seem to have his own story yet this season, besides being a guide. He gave up his revenge, so there’s not much else for him to do.

• Mike R. says:

I never saw Hook as a straight up villain of the likes of Cora, Rumple, and Regina. He was only truly evil when he wanted to get revenge on Rumple, what he did to Belle was the sole purpose of getting back at Rumple, he wasn’t even comfortable when Greg and Tamara were torturing Regina. Now I’m not saying that Hook was ever a great guy, but he has never been entirely evil to Emma and co unless he was using them to get to Rumple. I think if Rumple was still around we’d be seeing more of the Hook we saw last season. He obviously has feelings for Emma, and I think that is what has led him to seem like a decent guy. I don’t think it is out of character.

• Joey says:

Well, then, I think it’s disingenuous to think of him as a decent guy because if he really cared about Nealfire as much as he claims to, he wouldn’t be flirting with someone who is in love with Neal and is still grieving over his death (at least as far as she knows).

• Mike R. says:

I said seem like a decent guy, I never said he was a decent guy, and I don’t know what your trying to say, All I was saying is that Hook has never been super evil, he is not a great guy, and possibly making a move on Emma is not good by means, but it doesn’t make him evil.

• Joey says:

I never said it made him evil to do that. What I’m saying (and it’s not responding directly to you), is that there’s a lot of talk about how Hook genuinely cared for Bae and everything (though he evidently had no qualms about giving him up to the Lost Boys after Bae rejected him with good reason), yet he is hardly honoring Bae/Neal’s memory by going after Emma at this time.

• Mike R. says:

Well I agree with that.

• Templar says:

My head spins with the family ties. Hook is a step grandfather [sort of] to Henry. He was a Dutch Uncle [mentor/step father] to Bae/Neal. Regina is step mother to Snow, so step grandmother to Emma, step mother to Henry and still may be Rumple’s daughter [we don't know about his time with Cora]. Rumple is father to Bae/Neal, grandfather to Henry and may be Regina’s father. Now I’m wondering since the doll was Rumple’s if Pan is his brother.

• abz says:

I definitely agree with your assessment of Hook. He’s no saint, but I never put him on the same level of villains like those three. He’s done some despicable things, but when looking at this show I think one has to realize that the majority of these characters are flawed in some way or another and the characters are complex (and with Hook, the story is still developing and there is still more to be learned about him). Bringing all the bad things he’s done won’t really do much because worse can be brought up about Regina or Rumple, yet the show is pretty much unimaginable without their presence.
        I don’t believe his behaviour is out of character. With regards to his interactions with Emma, I see that as just the way he is. It’s his personality. He’s a flirt. I also think his current, decent behaviour feels natural given the way his character left off last season. He came to the realization that revenge wasn’t all it was cut out to be and that it really wouldn’t bring him complete satisfaction. He realized that he needs to find some other purpose in life. Helping Emma find Henry was probably a step in a good direction. The fact that he fancies her is probably just an added bonus for him.

• Cass says:

When he tried to kill Belle the first time (in Regina’s prison) he wasn’t trying to get back at Rumple. He didn’t know she was Rumple’s true love; he thought she was a little nobody of a maid. He was going to rip her apart with his bare hook because he was having a bad day. That doesn’t count as evil? Even Rumple has never murdered anyone for NO reason. (Regina, well, Regina apparently murders six innocent people before breakfast every day just to help herself wake up.)

• Louise says:

Oh, I’d say that bit about Rumple never murdering for no reason is very much debatable. Doesn’t make the other two any better though obviously. Although if you’re a fan of one of them you may tend to see reasons where others might see none. Applies to all of us as viewers.

• Templar says:

Is it considered murder to magic someone into being a ship’s figurehead [mermaid], or when Rumple turned Gaston into a rose? Or is that a case of restorable suspended animation? I’m not arguing, just posing a question.

• Cass says:

Well, I didn’t say Rumple had GOOD reasons. (“You gave my boy a booboo! DIE!”) But except for Cinder’s fairy godmother, he always had an onscreen reason, no matter how piddling. And yes, obviously I’m a fan, but I do think that’s different from just completely random killing. But you’re right, we all see the best in characters we like. I just have to admit I find it extremely disturbing how easily most Hook fans dismiss his deeds. Even if people have excuses (credible or not) for things they do, very very few Rumple or Regina fans will argue that they are (or at least were) villains.

• courts says:

Um, what? Rumple killed a guy because he accidentally scratched Bae. And because his servant saw his knife. And because a guy showed up at his front door. And because he wanted a fairy’s want. If those are “valid” reasons to murder someone then Regina’s reasons are equally valid.

• Cass says:

Did I say they were valid reasons?

• courts says:

@cass You’ve already rationalized them as reasons while dismissing someone else’s reasons as so inconsequential they cease to actually BE reasons so…yeah.

• Cass says:

Let me clarify: reasons other than peevishness (which is the closest I can come to explaining Hook’s gutting Belle). But if you disagree, fine.

• Dawn Thomas says:

I agree with you Mike R. I don’t see Hook as a straight up villain, I see him as a scoundrel, which I think is a perfect fit for him. He isn’t really evil, just more self-serving. He is also has a charming aspect to him, which reveals itself in his flirtations. I like it. I also like that Emma knows his game and isn’t playing along, which just makes it more fun to watch them banter with each other.

• Sarah says:

I think you all, instead, need to reverse your thinking. In OUAT we have found out our version of Pan, the Disney-fied hero, is false and he is an evil teen… So isn’t it also possible that Hook is not who we’be always thought but, instead, a good guy? I mean, he’s a pirate, so he is no innocent and has looted and plundered many, but he did nothing wrong with Milah – he fell for her, she left Rumple. He was devastated by her death, and grew to love Bae – it obviously pained him to give Bae up to the Lost Boys. Hook has actually always ultimately chosen good when faced with a choice – he kept his word with Emma and the giant. I adore the complex characterization that they have developed for him – he is probably my favorite character.

• Joey says:

“Hook has actually always ultimately chosen good when faced with a choice”

Even Cora could tell you that you’re wrong on that note, considering that he left Emma, Mary Margaret, Aurora and Mulan to die in Rumplestiltskin’s cell.

• courts says:

He also murdered, attempted murder, handed Bae over to someone he considers super duper evil, literally tortured someone and left someone to be brutally tortured. Hard to say he chose good in any of those instances.

• Cass says:

But he’s so handsome@!@!@! I just know he has a sweet wounded soul somewhere deep inside.

• Amy says:

Hook didn’t steal Milah…she begged to go away…and there are a ton of holes in the story…holes I expect to be filled in later…like when Milah left to go with Hook…he may have said if Rumps comes to fight for you …you go back to Bae and him. People need to stop blaming Hook for Milah’s sins….she was a grown woman who abandoned her son , lets wait until we have the rest of that story…and we don’t even know if Hook was there when Cora killed the village (we assume)…I just think people are making assumptions on what they want his character to be…and not on everything and painting him into a corner that fits their personal narrative. …Pan even expected better from Hook in 302…and Pan is a demon…he tells them it was bad form to cheat…Hook even tells us that on this island he’s not the worst and Bae would have probably died on that island had he gone off by himself..or Pan would have gotten him anyway…Hook did what he needed to do to survive…it’s one of the things he’s good at…

Hook is flawed seriously…and I think we’re going to see him wrestle with both sides of himself…but I’m not painting him into any corner until more of the story gets filled in and if Belle can still see the good in Rumps after all he’s done…why can’t Emma see the good in Hook?? We know hook shot belle, killed a lost boy…teamed up with some bad characters to try and get his revenge…but we’ve also seen him realize that revenge isn’t all its cracked up to be …I’m not making any assumptions…I’m just going to enjoy the show…but when you think someone is one way…they may surprise you. Unless we see things happen on screen we don’t have the full story…like when Regina saved Snow from the horse…we didn’t learn until later that is was Cora that made the horse go wild…or that Cora had killed Snow’s mom…

• Joey says:

@Amy: I just read a lot of headcanon in there, wishful thinking not supported by anything canon.

• Amy says:

@joey….it’s not wishful headcanon and I’m well aware that it’s not supported by canon…it’s me saying there are lots of things we don’t know…I’m also sure he’s done lots terrible things too that we’ve not yet seen…you get get to be a pirate captain at that young an age being an saint….I’m just saying that we don’t always know the whole story about things on this show

• Cass says:

I disagree with nearly everything in this post but “he kept his word with the giant”? In what way? You mean like how, after Anton spared his life (at Emma’s request), he stole the single, only memento Anton had of his murdered family? And then stood by (or helped) while Cora shrank him down and put him in a cage?

• Kerry says:

That’s an interesting argument. Would you say the same then about Regina? Ultimately, we know very little about Hook outside of the revenge plot that introduced us to his character….so I’m curious why it’s pandering to show Hook working with the Charmings (who he has no quarrel with), but not Regina (who has tried to kill every single member of the Charming family). If there’s one thing this show has hammered away at us, it’s that no villain is beyond redemption. Regina and Rumple have both casually slaughtered people….and yet I see no disparaging comments about them when they work with the good guys? You don’t like Hook, fine, but that’s a weak argument.

• Joey says:

You don’t think that I had the exact same argument about Regina all over season two? Also, the thing about Rumple is that people don’t perceive him as a hero or a villain, necessarily. He’s a very gray character who has done a lot of bad things and a few good.

• Kara says:

…and yet all I see is your problem with Hook. The fact of the matter is that Hook was established as someone who was willing to work with whomever suited his interests to work with…and then, in the finale, his interests became something OTHER than himself (thanks to both Emma’s words and Bae’s memory). This season is an extension of both of those concepts…so how is it pandering and not simply writing him as they envisioned him to be? Hook’s entire character is based around devotion to those he loves (even in death) – Henry is the last piece of Bae, and by extension Milah. You remember her, right? The driving force of his character.

• Tenney says:

Kerry.. I completely agree with you. I don’t understand the uproar with seeing some good in Hook. In virtually every villian we’ve got to know, we’ve seen some good come through in the midst of all their bad. Why is it not OK that we see the same thing in Hook? The only difference I can think of is that in most of the villians we’ve seen some of their backstory that has explained to us why they act the way they act, which allows us to be a bit more forgiving of them. We haven’t really seen much of Hook’s backstory other than him taking Rumple’s wife so its easy to say he’s all bad and any good we see doesn’t make sense. We clearly need to see more of Hook’s story to explain his actions. It’s too simplistic to think that he’s all bad for no reason at all.

• Jenn says:

I personally love their chemistry and trust me Hook & Emma ooze chemistry. But not everyone is going to see it and not everyone is going to want them together. When he first came on I didn’t for a second think that they belonged together but they’ve both been changing my mind. I think Colin is a huge addition to OUAT and I hope they keep him for a long time. I’m sure Hook will show his “evil” side more than once.

• Jen says:

That’s because loud fans think everybody wants CS. There are so many problems with the couple and the character that if they ever get over it would be completely character assasination for Emma.

6. James D says:

good episode. I’m glad they fixed the excalliber thing i was shouting WTF you can’t be snow white and king arthur thats just not right. It might be the sap in me but i sort of feel bad for Neal, one can’t deny Hook and Emma have chemistry.

• Jess says:

I still deny it. He has more chemistry with Regina. Although that might have something to do with the fact that Regina has chemistry with everyone. But still.

• Mary says:

Emma and Hook have definite chemistry. We’ll see, but I have a feeling they’re going to happen!

7. Ashley says:

I loved this episode!!! Looking forward to the rest of this season should it be like the first two episodes.

8. kate says:

Okay Jennifer Morrison made me get choked up…

9. Louise says:

I was a bit “meh” about the flashback story this week. Some fun oneliners and Regina and Snow looked awesome in their FTL gear, but the story itself felt repetitive and kinda flat and not only because we have indeed seen that very scene of Charming waking up Snow a bunch of times now.
    I understand how they wanted to create a parallel with Emma in the present day there, but the Neverland story with her was the much, much stronger one of the two. Jennifer Morrison knocked it out of the park in the “orphan” scene. Also great scenes between her and Robbie Kay as Pan. I’m enjoying their take on the Peter Pan character much more than I thought I would.
    Promo for next week looked very, very cool and I can’t wait to meet Tinkerbell.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yeah, I would have preferred to see an Emma flashback to her foster care days (with a younger actress in the part, of course). Would have been more resonant.

• Louise says:

Agreed. This would have been the perfect episode for a first flashback to Emma’s time in the system.

• Mika02 says:

The Flashback was to show that they all need to come to terms of who they are. I thought it was very powerful to see Snow had to walk that journey, So does Emma, Charming did as well. This foreshadows that Henry will have to as well.

• Will says:

Maybe, but I also think a foster care flashback might have made the reveal about what Emma had to acknowledge in order to make the map work a bit too obvious. This wasn’t a perfect flashback story, but in a way, I think it worked to distract from that twist. And it worked for me. I was so focused on Snow, and therefore thinking that Emma having to really acknowledge them as her parents would still somehow be the key that I was completely surprised when it was the opposite, in a way, but in retrospect, it makes so much sense, based on who Pan is.

• gdv says:

Maybe it was because I saw the episode’s title, “Lost Girl,” but I thought it was already obvious “who Emma was.” I agree with Matt, a flashback to Emma in the system would’ve been a lot more affecting. Or even a flashback to an older Emma spending the holidays alone or something would’ve worked. The Snow/Charming flashback felt a little lackluster.

• Will says:

Come to think of it, because this episode is about acknowledging who you really are, I think it could have been really interesting if they used the opportunity to have a flashback revealing how Snow found out about Charming’s background and her initial reaction to it.

• Joey says:

….I’m not really seeing how the flashback really had anything to do with the present other than the very strained “Show us who you really are.” line, which was a bit of a stretch at best.

• Amy says:

The flashbacks are usually my favorite, I did find this one a little lacking…but I love how it showed Snow finding herself with Emma accepting that she still feels lost….also having Charming lie in the past to help snow…and lie in the present about his condition! I thought this was a solid episode and I think that I enjoyed the present scenes so much speaks to the strength of the Neverland arc… As for the chemistry between Hook and Emma…I don’t think it’s fan service…a lot of people have been going on and on that it’s not there since they started….while a lot of others have seen it there since the beginning…I think the show really has something special with those two…and I’m not sure what people expect from Emma? I mean she’s got pretty high walls…she’s not one to flirt or throw herself at a guy…but I thought her ‘Wouldn’t you like to know?” was pretty breathy…and I think she was seriously taken aback by the sincerity of his response.

• Joey says:

I’ll hand it to you that she was most likely taken aback by his response, however, I don’t believe for a minute that she was flirting back, as so many people seem apt to believe.

• AL says:

I don’t know…I mean I’m not Emma (although I would kill for her hair and biceps) but I am a woman and whenever I’ve tossed out the lines ‘wouldn’t you like to know’ there has usually been an undercurrent of smug flirty-ness…I thought Hook was very supportive of Emma this episode, and I think that’s not something Emma is used to having, I think there is a strong dynamic between them….that I’m enjoying watching develop (also I respect that others don’t though)

10. Meg says:

Brilliant episode. Loved the snow and emma talk and the emma/hook moment at the end (may not be everyone’s cup of tea but i personally love them).

• Alex says:

Yes, I’d much rather see Jennifer Morrison with Colin O’Donoghue than Michael Raymond-James.

• Templar says:

ITA. Am I the only one who thinks that Neal couldn’t summon up any energy or enthusiasm if his life depended on it? That has to be the laziest, most disinterested character on the show. He makes Sleepy seem like a live wire. I like MRJ but not in this role.

• Jen says:

Lol Hook is the worst male character in this show and you only like him because of his looks. At least Baelfire owns up to his mistakes and tries to be a better person. Hook punched a woman and tried to kill her but it’s ok because he has a cute face. Fangirls are the worst.

11. Wrstlgirl says:

I’ve become increasingly disinterested in the flashbacks because it’s the same stuff over and over again. There are a lot of other backstories that would be so much more interesting. Other than that it was a good episode.

• Mike R. says:

I agree this weeks flashback was weak, luckily the best of the episode was strong at least in my opinion. I would have proffered seeing what the other character were up to .

12. david says:

i have to admit the island story is cheesy but enjoyable something about hook and pan/lost boys fighting

13. Kelly says:

I miss Storybrooke and Neal/Bae and am getting tired of Peter Pan already.

14. Really liked this episode; not completely digging this secret of Charming’s but I am willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt here.

15. Katherine says:

Am I the only one who is tired of Emma being angry with her parents for “abandoning” her. I understand she might still feel like an orphan, but to seemingly not have any empathy for the fact that her parents thought they were saving her life by sending her away gets on my nerves

• Sarah says:

I buy that she is still in pain about it. She was a foster child who never found her forever home. She never had any foundation. You can’t just, at age 28, erase all those feelings of isolation, neglect, abandonment just because your parents are SW and PC. I mean, really all birth parents of foster children could make the claim: “I gave her up because it was in her best interest.” She never felt like she had any parents. So, I buy it. And she has to put those feelings out to be dealt with before she can ever move forward and find true happiness.

• tp says:

I can buy that too but geez. It wasn’t just said, it literally was the truth. She should also be feeling a little grateful along with the anger. If they hadn’t sent her away she would till be a baby, the curse would never be broken and she wouldn’t have Henry.

• Christina says:

I’m totally with you on this one. I get that she’s angry at them, but they literally had no choice.
      Also, we never really get the Snow/Charming perspective on this. They had a beautiful baby for like 3 minutes (or 30 seconds in Snow’s case), and woke up to a 28-year old. If I was them, I’d be a bit pissed at Emma for never recognizing that it’s hard on them too.

• liz says:

But Emma did realize that it hurt Snow too. That’s why when Emma said that she’s always been an orphan and looked over at Snow and saw the look on her face, Emma apologized. Emma literally said to Snow, “I’m sorry”. Emma recognizes her parents shared pain, but she can’t keep lying to herself or them just to spare everyone’s feelings.

16. Name That Tune says:

One of the best episodes of the entire series. Can’t wait until we learn more about Rumple’s father.

Loved Emma and Snow. And who is going to heal Charming?

17. Babybop says:

The kid that plays Peter Pan is awesome.

One question: Are we ever going to get to see Hook in street clothes?

18. tp says:

Since no one has said it yet, I will…RUFIO! RUFIO! RUFIO!!!

• Tiffany says:

This! I rewound it to make sure it’s what I heard and then yelled “Rufio! Rufio! Rufi-oooooo!” Then I questioned my parenting as my teen daughter said “Who’s Rufio?” Yeah, we’re watching Hook at some point very soon.

• tp says:

Lmao @ questioning your parenting skills. When my kids don’t know what something is I always say…did I not teach you anything?!

• luli says:

When did they mention Rufio?

19. Mel says:

So it seems Emma only called MM and David Mom and Dad because she thought they were gonna die. Beginning to think that Neal may not get the big romantic reunion he is hoping for.

20. Kerry says:

Really good episode, I’d say better than the premiere. I’m pretty sure I could watch those five characters bicker back and forth all day. The flashback segments were solid, though nothing terribly amazing, but Snow/Charming are always enjoyable. Emma & Snow, as per usual, broke my heart….but Hook and Regina’s sass helped with some of those painful moments. Speaking of the pirate, while I’m really enjoying Hook/Emma, the one relationship of his I really want to get into is the one with Peter. Their one-line exchange just wasn’t enough! Poor Rufio, btw.

21. Pat says:

I am really enjoying this season, so far. For some reason, I cannot dislike the character of Hook because they made him so good looking. His eyes are adorable. I am not sure if Emma will ever be with him but when the two stand near each other they do look cute together. Now down to reality, Neverland is definitely a very dark place which is starting to change Emma. So I hope this storyline wraps up sooner rather then later but I have a feeling it will not.

22. Kimboslice says:

Very good episode! The flashbacks, which are normally so enjoyable, felt a bit weak in comparison to the strong Neverland story. But I don’t mind. Loved the Snow/Emma scene, the Captain Charming bromance in the making, and OF COURSE all of the Captain Swan scenes. Looking forward to more!!!!!!!

• Leo says:

thank god I’m not the only one realizing a captain charming bromance. I think the first person charming confide in about his secret is hook.
      love this episode.
      emma can be such a douche sometimes. I mean snow forgives charming for lying to her because it’s in her best interest. how contrast that emma can’t see what her parents
      do for her best chance.

23. Mary says:

Can’t wait to see how the rest of this 11 episode arc plays out. The storyline will have to move pretty quickly from here! LOVED the Captain Swan scenes, can’t wait to see their romance blossom. Also looking forward to seeing Captain Hooks backstory in episode 5.

24. Alex says:

Gotta say the best scenes were with Mr. Gold. He’s the most interesting character in the series.

25. Cass says:

The fairybacks in this ep were weak but were saved by Regina’s rockin’ outfits and the dwarves being overprotective big brothers. (Red’s absence was GLARING though. Seriously Snow was just going to trip off into exile without even saying good-bye to her BFF?) Luckily the NL parts made up for it, although people running around in a jungle being set mysterious tasks by powerful forces that refuse to explain themselves, or encountering their missing loved ones…I dunno, there’s something so familiar about it. If only I could put my finger on it…The Emma/Snow and Rumple/Belle scenes lived up to the hyping they got. Obviously that’s not the real Belle, and I still miss her, but it was nice to see how much Rumple loves her. Neverland is about belief, and the only thing he believes in is her. JMo and GG knocked it out of the park, and after all the heartbreak, it was poignant to hear Snow say that it’s her job to make Emma stop feeling like an orphan–all that annoying optimism was worth it to get to that moment. Charming continues to be an idiot. And where is all the outrage for Regina constantly referring to Henry as “my son” as Emma did last week?

26. Ezzy Klein says:

IS it me or was this a weak and poorly written episode?

• Name That Tune says:

It’s you. The producers promised more focus on the characters and they delivered. Jennifer Morrison was phenomenonal and I loved they finally started to deal with her pain and anger. And Henry’s.

And the family curse of the fathers abandoning their sons (Rumple – Neal – Henry). ‘Cuz Rump likeee’s got some issues.

27. Addie says:

I really liked it, I loved that the main focus was on Emma and her conversation with Snow was really well done. It does make sense for her to still be angry because it hasn’t been that long for her. Whereas Rumpel’s dad has been gone for what? 1000 years? I hope they continue with the character moments and hopefully we’ll get more family moment between Emma and her parents and hopefully Charming’s secret isn’t secret for too long so he can get cured!

28. Hannah Wattie says:

They will probably find a cure for charming on Neverland! He not going to die!!

29. Jen says:

Peter Pan is a much better character and villain than Hook. Also the actor is a lot better.

30. Alice says:

Charming could be after Snow’s kingdom/power. Maybe her “seven brothers” saw more than we gave them credit for. Could that be his truth. Ok, the sword that cut him may have had poison on it. But, he lies. Could it be the lies that are his poison?