Fox Renews The Simpsons for Season 26

The Simpsons Renewed Season 26It’s official: The Simpsons will outlive us all.

Fox has renewed the still-potent ‘toon for a 26th season, the network announced Friday.

RELATED | Shocker: The Simpsons Poised to Kill Off [Spoiler]

Last Sunday’s Season 25 premiere ranked as the No. 1 entertainment program of the night among adults 18-49 and was up 12 percent year-over-year.

“For more than a quarter of a century, The Simpsons has captured the hearts and minds of fans in a way that transcends ages, languages and cultures,” said Fox prez Kevin Reilly. “This groundbreaking series is not only the longest-running scripted show in television history, it’s one of the greatest sitcoms of our time, and I’m looking forward to yet another landmark season.”

1. TV Fan says:

NO! Please…NO! Let it die. The show SUCKS! Why Fox wants to continue it is beyond me. That must be at the helm of very selfish producers and network executives. Al Jean has become the Lorne Michaels of animation…a guy who doesn’t seem to know or care when it’s time to let go and see what is making a show so terrible.

• Because millions of people watch it and companies pay to advertise during the show. It’s the entire purpose of network television. If you hate it, you can always try not watching it, insted of hoping a show many enjoy gets cancelled.

• Carole says:

If you don’t like it then stop watching it! Why you would want to deprive others of it is sad, the Simpsons aired it’s first episode the same year I was born in 88 and I have watched it all through my childhood and teens and now adult life with my own children watching it seeing it grow and change as I have and will forever have a special place in my heart. I am in no hurry for the show to end. I love it :3

• Tylor says:

I don’t get these guys. Don’t like it don’t watch it.

• Nora Koonce says:

I also cannot stand The Simpsons. Never have liked them and never will.

2. Babybop says:

I never realized that this show is older than me! Weird…

3. Phillip says:

When will this show be in syndication?

4. Betsy says:

kevin reilly is an idiot.

5. Elly says:

I thought they were toting 25 as the last season 2 years ago?

6. David4 says:

This was a given. LEGO is even having a SImpsons theme for next year.

7. Jake says:

“They’ll NEVER stop The Simpsons.” Thank You Michael Ausiello this is great news.

8. Pérola Cardozo says:

They will never stop. o.o

9. madhatter360 says:

The Simpsons is the longest running scripted show in television history? Really? Doctor Who (33 seasons/50 years), Sesame Street (44 years/seasons), and Guiding Light (57 years/seasons) would all beg to differ.
    It may be the longest running scripted PRIMETIME show in AMERICA, but that’s not the same thing as being the longest running scripted show in television history.

• Phillip says:

This ^^^

• Patrick says:

Dr Who doesn’t count because it took a few decades off. No one considers Guiding Light to be TV. And Sesame St is a legitimate point.

• madhatter360 says:

Doctor Who ran for 26 years before taking time off, so even if you don’t count the new series, it still ran for longer/as long.

• Ashley says:

Doctor Who is scripted?

• Ju says:

Yes, Doctor Who doesn’t count because it wasn’t done in consecutive seasons. You’re right on Guiding Light and Sesame Street being longer- It should say that The Simpsons is the longest running primetime scripted show (since it passed up Gunsmoke).

• Ciara says:

Doctor Who is the longest SCIENCE FICTION show on tv. It was off air for a decade but a tv movie (produced by FOX) was done in the middle of the hiatus and had continuity. The 2005 series didnt start off new or was a reboot. Thefefore, it is completing 50 years.
        As for The Simpsons, it’s the longest primetime ANIMATED series. Since they are from different genres, they are longest running in thier respective fields.

• Francine says:

I do believe they are referring to US television for one thing- so The Simpsons would be the longest running prime time series not just the longest animated one. Doctor Who is not counted and even if it were- they generally look at how long a show ran consecutively when stating these things. People can always argue but that’s the way they do it. Like I said, it doesn’t matter though because this is about US shows.

• Francine says:

Which- like someone’s already stated above- really should have been clarified. There a big difference between being the longest running show in US history, versus all of television history. So yeah, they really should have clarified that.

• Guest says:

Unlike the Simpsons, Dr. Who is a reboot of the original series: it can’t count as an ongoing show any more than Futurama or the Firefly TV movie.

Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD is based on a decade old movie franshise and no one considers it as more than a freshman show, regardless its fanbase.

• Guest says:

Unlike the Simpsons, Dr. is a reboot of the original series: it can’t count as an ongoing show any more than Futurama or the Firefly TV-movie.

10. Esaul says:

Despite the decline in quality, I’m still happy about this. It still gets me to chuckle from time to time, and Treehouse Horrors intro is amazing!

11. Guest says:

Ay Caramba

• tom_t says:

I love the Simpsons! Keep it going for as long as the voice actors can continue. It’s one of the only comedies I like.

+1 :)

12. alistaircrane says:

13. THE TV CRITIC says:

This is the result of the Seth McFarlane Flintstones project not getting the green light.

14. Bark Star says:

This is Necrophilia.

15. dee123 says:

I said years ago their 30th season would be their last and i still could be right.

16. Mikael says:

30 seasons would be a good end because it’s such a nice number, and then they can just do movies. But if they want to keep going, I say go right ahead as long as it has the audience. It’s amazing the show still does so well after all these years. Sure it’s nowhere near as good as it once was, but it does still make me laugh.

17. Zoe says:

So the Simpsons gets to break the record that Law & Order was about to break before NBC axed it? This is a sad day.

18. joe says:

i still love the simpsons but dang when it came out i was barts age now im older than homer lol i say let the show go abd make more movies

19. Glen Librach says:

The smartest man on Earth, Stephen Hawking, is a huge fan of the series and has even made several guest voice appearances. I think that says it all.

20. Glen Librach says:

The smartest man on Earth, Stephen Hawking, is a huge fan of the show and has even made several guest voice appearances. I think that says it all.